Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
help with severe bilateral Pain in legs, low back , and hip pain with t...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

help with severe bilateral Pain in legs, low back , and hip pain with tingling and numbness

I was diagnosed with Chiari 1 malformation in March of 2011 without a syrinx.  I also have degenerative disc disease 2 bulging discs in my lower lumber and a herniated disc at c5-c6 with minimal facet atropathy in my lower lumbar.  For those of you who don't know what Chiari 1 malformation is, I have found the shortest definition I could find.

Arnold–Chiari malformation, or often simply Chiari malformation, is a malformation of the brain. It consists of a downward displacement of the cerebellar tonsils through the foramen magnum (the opening at the base of the skull), sometimes causing non-communicating hydrocephalus as a result of obstruction of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) outflow. The cerebrospinal fluid outflow is caused by phase difference in outflow and influx of blood in the vasculature of the brain. It can cause headaches, fatigue, muscle weakness in the head and face, difficulty swallowing, dizziness, nausea, impaired coordination, and, in severe cases, paralysis.

The paralysis and muscle weakness is usually caused by syrinx which i did not have in march..I have had severe joint type pain since october that has gotten worse and worse since then and Ive tried physical therapy and I also had a sacro illiac joing injection that seemed to help after 5 days it seemed to help the low back area, but not the hips or legs, then after about 8-9 days I got a little bit of releif through my hips for about 3 days and then all of the pain came back... and now it seems as though I have another type of pain on top of it...

This pain now is like a bad pinching pain in BOTH LEGS... almost like someone has placed a very very tight band at the very top of my legs,( you know like when they are taking your blood pressure and they get the cuff too tight and they cut off your circulation and they leave the bruise because it is too tight?) its like that but twice as bad.. this has been the last two days.. but my legs are not purple, my thighs are slightly red... but I am experiencing numbness and tingling... in my heels and feet and I wasn't at the time of my mri... but have been having that symptom for a while..my question is I know a lot of you have back problems and stuff. and I don't think that my issues that I had diagnosed in march should be causing this.. and don't know if I should get another appointment for this and if this is important or not.  I am going to have the chiari surgery August 9th..

I am just concerned that if I think it is a related issue and I leave it alone and it is a separate and serious issue that causes permanent nerve damage... or something I could have done something about but ignored because I thought it was related I will be upset with myself.  Does this sound like anything serious that I should do something about or something probably related? I read a little about spinal stenosis or osteoarthritis and it seems to fit, but that probably couldn't change in 5 months right? FYI I have never had any imaging done of my hips and that is the area that is the most painful to me.

I am kind of looking or thinking about something that could have changed in 5 months...
--- or if not something that would have changed in 5 months something that would progress and be causing low back and hip pain, respond to some anti inflammatory and then suddenly cause severe leg pain that could be generated in the Hips or lower(because I never had any imaging of the hips or lower) oh yeah and yesterday my knee also.. and I have done no strenuous exercise at all  Sorry for such a long  post.. dont know if anyone can help or not but any help is appreciated.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
The hip pain could be due to osteoarthritis, tendonitis, muscle pull and strain, femoral neck stress fractures, sports hernia or hidden/occult hernia of oblique aponeurosis, or Obturator or ilioinguinal nerve entrapment.
You would need all or any of the following for diagnosis: Clinical examination by an orthopedic specialist, X-rays, blood tests, MRI or ultrasonography.
Otherwise it can also be exacerbation of the spine problem since your last MRI. Lower lumbar and lumbo-sacral area needs special attention.
Since you are about to undergo surgery for Chiari malformations next month, I suggest you discuss this with your treating doctor. Take care!
I definitely dont have a muscle pull/strain as this has been going on 9 months, nor a sports related injury as I stated above i am almost immobile and cannot excercise much at all so I cannot do things to create an injury to entrap my nerves..or pull muscles..etc.... I have had x rays, blood tests and MRI's in March.... would I develop osteoarthritis  in 5 months?