Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
hurt ankle, now leg and foot is cold

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

hurt ankle, now leg and foot is cold

Hi. Three months ago I twisted my ankle, but it didn't really hurt, so I didn't go to the doctor (I don't have insurance). It's usually fine, but occasionally hurts if I'm on it all day. Recently the same leg and foot have felt cold (surface measured as much as 10deg F colder than the other leg). So I decided to put myself on crutches, and now the foot is turning red. It also hurts to walk on it. The redness/slight swelling goes down as soon as I elevate it, and returns as soon as I put it down. These appeared IMMEDIATELY after going on crutches.

Do you have any idea of what is going on? It's concerning me! I assume it's fractured, but the coldness is what is scary.

Justin
Tags: broken
1 Comment
Thanks for writing to the forum.
I am sorry to say, but it appears as though use of sprained ankle has resulted in a complete tear of the ligaments of the ankle. Thus a grade I injury has progressed to grade II or III. This is the reason for swelling and cold feet. This grade of ankle injury needs a type of plaster to hold the tissues in place and can be managed by an orthopedic doctor only.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!