increased thirst
Hi, I have been very thirsty lately (probably the last 3 or 4 months).  I probably drink 3 to 4 liters of water a day which I think is a bit excessive.  I'm pretty sure I don't have diabeits as I have no other symptoms and no family history).  Does anyone have any other reasons for excessive thirst?
Im only 16 what much do I know?
But Both of my parents are nurses so I do know some things.
But it could possibly be psychogenic polydipsia I mean im not trying to
to solve what is wrong but this is another option to look at. But it is pretty much a abnormal feeling that you have to drink more and more. But I would deffinately go and get that check out. Could be nothing or it could be something potentially serious.
If you have not yet been tested for diabetes, you should just to rule it out. Other causes of excessive thirst are thyroid disorders, cushing's syndrome, and brain tumors. Also, some medications can cause excessive thirst. A simple blood test can determine or rule out diabetes, thyroid, or cushing's. Good luck.
i would still have your doctor check you for diabetes
I just went to my doctor and said I had periods of excessive thirst.  He said it could be because I am a mouth breather and my mouth gets very dry.  He did a blood sugar test which was normal.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Polydipsia means excessive thirst. It can be due to several causes. The treatment will depend on the cause. Hence first the cause has to be found out. Polydipsia can be primary or secondary. It can also be psychogenic. One can feel very thirsty for hours together after a spicy or salty meal. Diarrhea, excessive sweating, exposure to excessive heat and sun can all cause polydipsia.
This can also be the result of diseases like diabetes mellitus and diabetes insipidus. Heart, liver and kidney failure and also certain medications cause excessive thirst.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Do consult your doctor.  Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!