lump under sternum
I recently felt what feels like a lump under my sternum, it feels like its connected to my sternum and only way i even relized he was there was because i was feeling around my stomach area one day.

It really doesnt bother me but lately ive been noticing it more and more. I dunno if its all in my head just because i found it. Im just wondering if I should go see a doctor, ive read of the xiphoid process and im not sure if thats what it is.

Ive also just had x-rays done on my chest and ekg also for heart examinations which all came back normal, this was about 2months ago, so im thinking if there was something there it wouldve shown up on there, wouldnt it have? Anyone else just suddenly notice something like this, or have any clues on what it may be?
I have to add to this. I have the same thing. A prominent lump that's to the left. It really freaked me out when I first noticed it,,, over 12 years ago... when I was around 40 years old.

I just noticed again, which is what sent me looking about it. Two factors stand out between then and now.
1) I've lost a lot of weight (very intentionally).
2) Part of the weight loss regimen has included doing lots of push-ups.

I also think (without researching) that it's probably something that occurs as you get past 35. I also had a sternum injury at around 14 playing football. It looks and feels nasty. But after 12 years, I doubt I'm in trouble. I think this thing is kind of like an Adam's; something that develops as you get older and is more prominent in some people than others.
Hi guys, im 17 years old, and i have lump on my chest, its on the left handside of the top of my sternum. sometimes i would get pains with it, but very rarely. ive had this for about a year and 4 months, but recently ive found i feel i am constantly out of breath and i feel the lump may be the cause but im not completely sure, at the start i felt it could be the that some of my bones had not fused correctly. ive had xrays done and they said they could not see a problem or they were not sure what it was.. any ideas? :)
wow thanks everyone : ) it's 2am and i just felt mine for the first time today and was freaking out. but now I can sleep.
wow, this is crazy to see all the posts on this topic.  I too thought the worst thing ever!  I have a walnut sized mass base of sternum, lost about 50 lbs lately.  i was llifting weights and rested the barbell below my breasts and noticed the lump.  ugh!  the mind does play horrible tricks on you.  take a deep breath and relax!!!  life is good isnt it?

jen
Wow, I thought I was the only one!

I'm a 45 year old male, in fit shape, lift weights and play racquetball and I found this discussion a week ago after discovering a small bulge just under the sternum, right in the middle. Perhaps the size of a small walnut shell, smooth texture. I was laying down and feeling around there and noticed it. Never noticed it before.

I was in sheer terror until today when I was able to get to my doctor and have him feel it and I didn't mention "xiphoid process" at all beforehand. His diagnosis was quick: that's your xiphoid process, it calcifies (?) as you get older, very common and nothing to worry about. I said, "Ziphoid? What the heck is that?!"

Just thought I'd share, since this forum gave me a little relief when I was first searching for this phenomenon. It took me three days just to find out what a xiphoid process was! It's worth going to the doctor anyway if you're freaked out....I drove my wife a little crazy so I have to make it up to her now.
Discovered my tender xp lump earlier this year while getting a massage.  I was very surprised and nervous to discover a tender lump the size of a chestnut, just below my sternum and above my stomach.  All kinds of scenarios went racing through my head!  But after reading the multitude of posts on this website, I feel much more at ease that I'm experiencing "xiphoid process"     Thank you to all of you have posted, and helping those who just got here.

Yup, every symptom that I have read from other postings is like reading what I would have written in a doctor's report.  Even right down to the swallowing, the mildly achy  back pain on the back exactly behind the lump.  Weird!!!!!     Thanks again!

mb3000
i have the same lumps and i kinda hurts sometimes but then it goes away. it usually comes when dont get enough sleep or when im stressed. today it came back and it hurts. it seems to be right in the center or my chest and along my right rib cage. not sure what it is but i should reallygo check it out.

Im not the only one wow.
Are you all smokers too?
I have a lump right at/under my sternum. But my story is a bit different. This lump causes me pain 24 hours a day..extreme pain. It all started when one night I have bad pain for 6 hours where every organ in my body felt like it was going to explode. When that subsided I was left with severe pain on the right under my breast at the base of my ribs. After a lot of normal scans and tests the HIDA scan showed my gallbladder working at 3%. I only felt the sternum pain when they touched it with the ultrasound device at the time. After they removed my gallbladder the pain on the right subsided but I began having the same type of pain right under my sternum. Constant stabbing, aching, burning, slicing..went to couple docs that weren't worth nothing and finally found my current doc who sent me in for blood tests (this was 3 weeks after surgery). When doc got blood test immediately put me in the hospital because of my liver numbers. My hair started falling out and my urine turned dark brown. The lump under my sternum was getting bigger and the constant stabbing became so severe that all I could do was cry and sometimes scream in pain while in bed. Lots of test at hospital all normal except blood. Doc had a hunch it was my bile duct but couldn't get anything on any scans..xrays, CT's, Ultra sounds, MRI's, and an MRCP. They finally did an ERCP and found that the tissue in my common bile duct had overgrown in itself and was clogging the duct. They did immediate surgery during the procedure and removed the tissue and did balloon therapy (wanted to avoid a stint). Nothing showed up on the scans because the tissue was camoflauged by my own tissue (called stenosis). My pain went way down but was still very prominent. They gave me many medications that do not work and I am on Morphine and Oxycodone but that just helps to take some of the edge off enough so I can get out of bed and do some walking and stuff. I had a 3rd surgery in Jan 2011 exploritory from OBGYN to make sure no endometriosis. All docs were confused and still are. Recently I was at UCSF and had a celiac plexis nerve block in case was chronic pancreantitis..but that didn't work. Now I am currently seeking a diagnoses at Stanford. Found out that the stenosis may be reoccurring cause they did a HIDA scan to check bile flow (the docs at hospital did not do that). But they don't think that the bile flow prob should be causing this much pain..I beg to differ with the experience just before going in the hospital when my bile duct was almost completely blocked. I have another ERCP with possible surgery (won't know if surgery was needed till after wake up). But the pain doc at Stanford thinks that maybe it could be inflammation of the xiphoid and could have arthritis in it because of the joint right there that connects the ribcage together. He said not to get my hopes up though cause that might not be the prob but if the injection works then I will finally have a diagnosis as to what is causing the pain. It makes sense cause that area is the direct area of my pain. It hurts constantly and sometimes when I turn a certain way left or right it feels like a knife is slicing me in the turning direction. When bending down it feels like someone is pushing a butcher knife straight through that area. The further I bend down the further it feels like the butcher knife is being pushed in the area. The lump feels like it's covered in sandpaper and spikes on the inside so it is constantly scratching me and slashing when I turn my body left/right. I have been trying soo hard to find a diagnosis and a treatment that will help me..even the meds im on don't help and I'd rather they figure it out and cure it than put me on diluadin, methadone, or oxycotin. I do know the diluadin is quite effective for the pain. Doesn't make it all go away but works better than anything else I've had. But I don't want to be given medicine and then given up on finding what the cause and effective treatment is so I don't have to be on medicine. I have been treated in Feb 2011 for costochondritis and that was the worst medication treatment I have ever had. That made the area 100x more sensitive. Even the slightest bump and I would burst into tears. I took all the meds for an entire month and then they had me stop them. My pain went back to "normal" pain and sensitivity once stopped that med regime. I hope this injection will work. It will be done at Stanford with anesthesia and will be injected with an anti-inflammatory and steroid. The doc said he hopes this works cause if it don't he doesn't have any ideas on how to treat me or a possible diagnosis..but he will keep trying. In Feb they injected me near my rib cage and twice in my breast plate and I had numerous injections before and after that but didn't do anything. This is the first time they will be injecting me directly in the centerpoint of my pain. Since the lump started with my pain back in Aug 2010 it has kept getting larger. It larger than a golf ball but still smaller than a tennis ball at this time. It has steadily been getting more prominent and easier to feel. I'm wondering if there's anyone else out there who has had the same probs with extreme pain in that area as me. All the stories I've read so far sound just like the lump I have as far as location and sensitivity to touch (that defenitely causes tears sometimes wailing) but I haven't seen any where a person has 24 hour non stop pain. Any type of movement makes it hurt worse..including vibrations such as riding in a car or listening to music (the bass just penetrates right through it). I have the least amount of pain laying on my back and not moving.  Cold packs/heating pad do nothing but aggravatet. As far as laying on my stomach goes..no way..they made me do that and my whole body was shaking uncontrollably from pain. Please let me know if any of you have had anything similar to what I'm going through and if you've found anything that helps. Thank you.
I have been noticing this lump under my sturnum the last few weeks. Mostly when sucking in my gut or coughing. But it had worried me for awhile because it was tender and could be pushed in quite a bit. After looking it up online and seeing that it was my xiphoid, as well as all the comments here, I feel so much better. I have lost weight lately and havent been keeping the best diet or sleep schedule, which are all probably the causes of this swelling. Thank you all for your comments. I feel much better knowing this is a somewhat common thing.
Many of your stories seem similar to my husbands, I would suggest looking into hiatal hernias. My husband for years has been suffering from anxiety, chest pains similar to a heart attack, daily vomiting, severe GERD, fatigue, depression and at the center of it all, a bump/bulge at the base of his sternum. He told the doctors from the begining it was something to do with that bulge but they would never believe him. They just kept feeding him Xanax and Protonix, telling him to see a therapist for his anxiety, keep taking meds/change his diet for the heartburn/vomiting and the bulge was just his xyphoid process protruding and he probobly just never noticed it before. We have never been satisfied with this diagnosis and I have continued to research his symptoms. I recently happened upon information about hiatal hernias and, low and behold, every symptom he has fits the bill!!! It is caused by the stomach protruding through the esophageal opening in the diaphram (the bulge) which allows the stomach contents to enter the esophagus (the GERD and vomiting) this causes severe chest pain similar to a heart attack (his first symptom and the reason we went to the doctor) which in turn leads to anxiety because you think you are dying which is exasterbated by the fact that your stomach is pushing against your diaphram making it hard to breath!!! No freakin wonder you have a panic attack!!! Anyway, in my research I have found my husbands situation to be anything but unique. It seems the common misdiagnosis is anxiety/panic attack disorder and GERD/acid reflux. While the GERD/reflux can cause or worsen the hernia, and needs treatment, the meds do nothing to address the hernia itself. Many suffers go their whole lives never knowing they have one, as most are not severe enough to cause such sustained discomfort. Most cases are treated with diet/lifestyle changes, but some more serious cases do eventually require surgery similar to a Lapband type procedure. I hope I have provided some insight as to your mysterious bumps and you can all get the right diagnosis and treatment you deserve! It is no fun that's for sure!!! Google hiatal hernia and see if it fits your bill! My husband is going to be following the recomended life changes and we will see where we go from here! I am certain, however, this is what his problem is!!!
Had all the symptoms, some of the anxiety, and all the relief after reading your comments...also recently lost some weight.

To Momabearandcubs - If it's anyway possible to do a few stomach curls a few times a week -I can almost guarantee that acid reflux will disappear!
The thing is, they don't have to be big movement exercises at all.
It actually feels pretty good to just lay on your back on the floor and then I lift my knees (press the small of your back to the floor when you do -it feels so good!) and pretend I'm pulling a rope between my legs (feet on the ground) with my head, neck and just the top of my shoulders off the floor. Ease up to it and you'd be surprised how doable it is at any age. I'm 60
Putting your lower legs up on a chair (parallel to the floor) and getting any kind of lift at all from your lower body (on the floor in front of the chair) even just the head and neck really focuses right on the part of the abdomen muscles that keep the center of the chest up straight.
Carefully, carefully.  Never press on the back of your head, just rest your hands there. Use your elbows for balance and control.
I promise it will be worth the effort.
I have a lump also under the middle if my rib cage. It feels about the size of s baseball. I noticed it first two years ago, I think it is still about the same size as it was when I found it. It doesnt really ever cause me pain, but sometime causes discomfort. I have no insurance so I never go to the doctor about it. Plus I don't want bad news.  
I only recently realized my sternum was enlarged...before, I had experienced such bad  heartburn,  that I began taking Prilosec, daily, until it abated.
Is there a doctor whom is proficient, in this?
I am a F and 50...not particulary defunct, in the physical category...but also not adept.  I'm not a "fatty", but I am also not as lean as I should be.  Meaning...I have become lazy, over the last decade.
I really don't expect an intelligent answer....my question is too vague...but thank you.
im 33 male.
i notice this lump when i was like 17 years old. but never felt it.
how i notice it? i like doing exercise not all the time but i always sign up for a year but end up going just the first few weeks. yes ever since i was 17.
ok i notice it because i could never have a perfect six pack i always seem something up there like a lump but never actually felt it.

like 3 days ago i was doing some bench press and some sit up right after while taking a rest kind of press little under my chest and felt that lump and i tell you im still freak out i stared crying and getting mad right there.

just to make sure im going to the doctor Monday morning but reading ya stories i feel brave. thank you for your post and i hope is not a big deal.

mine is locate right under the middle of the chest like where the last or bone of your chest is at 1 inch under.

ever since i found it i feel is getting bigger, i feel bad sleeping face down thinking is going to pop or something, was a 20 cig smoker a day automatically cut down to like 8 a day,i don't feel hungry no more all i do is think of the lump and my two daughters 5yrs and 1yr. all i ask is to see them grow after that hey, my job is done.

but thank you all guys by reading all ya stories i just feel hungry again and i think ill be ok sleeping face down tonight. ether way i'll try to write back after i see the doctor. ***@**** if any one needs to talk ill be happy to hear from any of you guys.
Did you ever find out what was wrong?????
I am a fairly thin female, 32 years of age. I never was able to see my xiphoid process but for the past 4 months or so, it looks like a flat walnut sticking out of my chest. I plan on going to the doctor but I have major anxiety from this NOW. It feels slightly squishy and I can move it slightly. What would cause it to appear out of nowhere?
I am having the same problem as many of you on here. Discovered a walnut size lump under my sternum area about 6 months ago. It hurts a lot to the touch and I have pain that sometimes radiates to my back.My chest xray was normal. I had several Cat Scans done to watch 2 lung nodules but they don't seem to be related as far as the doctors are concerned. The ortho Dr. said it is inflammation. I cannot take Ibuprofen or Aspirin due to being allergic so I only use Tylenol which does nothing for the inflammation it seems. I also was worried it could be cancer. I had an endocscopy which came back normal except for acid reflux so am starting on a prescription acid reducer and hope that somehow helps. I did lose about 10 lbs in the past year so maybe that's why I'm somehow just discovering this (?) but it never hurt before to the touch as it does now. I even had one doctor tell me to wear a looser bra since that could also irritate it.
I also noticed a bump under my sternum.  My Dr. didn't seem too concerned but ordered an Ultrasound for peace of mind.  During the ultrasound, the tech called in the radiologist (didn't seem like a very good sign to me).  The radiologist asked me how long I had the bump (I said I didn't know and it only occurred to me later that losing 35 lbs - intentionally - this Spring/Summer would have made the bump much more noticeable), if it had changed in size (no), if it hurt (no) or if I remembered injuring the area (no).  Then, he recommended a CT scan or MRI - Scary!!  So, off to the CT scan I went.  Waiting for results is nerve-wracking.  In my case, it was determined that my xyphoid, part of the sternum, was sticking out a bit and that my health was in no way in danger.  I thought I would post this to ease your minds a little, but it is always best to talk to your doctor and follow through with all recommended tests and appointments.  I wish you all the very best of health.
Glad you found out that it is okay. So many stories on here sound identical. Guess it's good for everyone to get checked out just in case. Sure is scary to have an unknown lump like this.
thanks for all your posts, feel alot better, I just noticed mine 6mnths ago, I go to see the doc this friday...(started bothering me a bit)
I am 29, female,had 2 kids, I smoke, I am thin (never overweight), don't get acid reflux, NEVER sleep on my stomach, but I do excerise regular.....
i have the same condition i asked a couple of doctors and they felt below the sternum in the middle where the stomach is, and its as if its hardened. going to get it checked out again.
I have this lump and am very scared to as I have a dimple there to my doctor said it don't feel like it's I'n the breast But couldn't tell me what it was and sending me for a scan could u have cancer I'n this place as I have a dimple there to right on my bra line more to the left I'm so scared I'm 33 years ov age and as there is cancer I'n the family
but no breast cancer someone please have u found out what these lump is I'm waiting to have the scan appointment but can't help but worry x
I discovered a lump like all of you have described 3 weeks ago after developing blood clots in my sholder area.  I hope it is the XP as I had a large sarcoma tumor removed 2 1/2 years ago nearby and get scared at the thought of cancer returning. I did have my last CT in August 2011 and there was no indication of a new cancer site. Whew, I have not noticed any more swelling since discovery. CT's are so full of radiation and I have a scheduled scan in January so I don't like the idea of having one earlier than planned.
Hey all, i recently started feeling pain in my lower sternum, nothing too serious more of a dull ache every now and again. i went to the doctor and he said to go and get an ultrasound because he said it felt to hard to be a hernia. just got back from the ultrasound and i was told that my sternum kicks inwards at the end which occurs in 10% of people and this was causing the pain. i was so thankful it wasnt anything else..... but it only becomes apparent to people when they lose weight as the fat covers it :)

i hope this puts some of you're minds to rest. but i would recommend getting it checked out. cant be too safe!
I also noticed this unusual lump over the last month. It's not very big yet, but getting a bit uncomfortable. Was worried what the hell it might be, but after looking at the anatomy of the upper body and reading the posts here, I know it's the XP. I also lost about 20 lbs this year (am a bit too skinny now), had a good amount of stress and not always enough sleep, so I will try to regain this weight, and get more rest and sleep. Good health to everyone!
pheewww
i am 20 and it has been only 5 days i discovered that.i thought that i am in danger,after reading all your comments i am a bit relaxed and can have a sound sleep.
i was doing exercise and crunches and push-ups before 5 days it happened.
thank all of you,but i am going to see a doctor very soon.
It is amazing to read everyone's posts. They seem so similar to mine.
I also recently noticed a tender lump that seemed to have grown just below my sternum where my ribs join.
I thought I had something weird, but now I see I'm very much not alone.  

I'm 57 y/o and like most people posting, I recently lost quite a bit of weight, from an obese 102kg down to an overweight 83kg right now. I've been doing it through diet and exercise including dumbell work. I thought maybe I'd maybe torn something from working out. Strangely I also have a history of really bad acid reflux causing me a lot of discomfort (pain).  I also spend a lot of time slouched in front of a PC AND I tend to be insomniac. I also recently discovered I'm type II Diabetic - which is why I went about losing weight

I don't know if its linked in any way, but about 2 1/2 weeks ago I was admitted to a cardiac ward with a suspected heart attack. Most of the signs were there. Everyone, including me, was convinced I'd had a heart attack. Three days later after an angiogram and an ultrasound of my heart, they could find nothing wrong with my heart and I was booted out, feeling like a (still dizzy) fraud.  The cardiologist suggested I might have had an arterial spasm. It doesn't seem logical, but having read all the posts, I'm vaguely wondering if the enlarged XP might have pressed against something.
Right guys I found a very painfull lump in my 5th rib  its hard almost like bone I went to the doctors they sent me to the hospital which they gave me an X ray witch come back negative so then I want for an ultra sound this come back as swollen cartilage the hospital sent me to a specialist surgeon and now I am waiting for an operation to shave/file the none down but don't give up it took me 12months to get to this point hope this helped x    
I have most of the same things going on.  I have had CT scans and Xrays.  Today I had a ultra sound.  They tell me I have bronchiectasis.  Nobody has told me if the two are related.  Do any of you have a pulling, tugging sensation in that area?  That is how mine started.  No pain at all.  Now I have some pain, but not too bad.  It has been about a year.  I have not heard the word xiphoid till today when I asked the tech what that part of my body was called.  She also said it was not unusual to be able to feel the ridge when you touch the area.
Hahaha
if you are are having pain on the Right of the stomach that is nagging, you may want to have an Ultrasound done as x-rays will not pick this up.  This could possibly be indicative of GallBladder disease; which I have.  I do not have GallStones, but I have a dysfunctional gallbladder.  

I get those same symptoms to the right just under my ribcage as well.  It's mostly after eating a rather large meal; which I have been trying to avoid all the while.  

Hope that gives you some insight.  
i have the same symtoms but only flares up bad at nite time is anybody else the same... had lump about year and a half pain had gone while was pregnant on 4th child now he is 6 months and it is back with revenge but mainly at night dont feel it during the day feel silly going back the doc again with same problem
I'm wondering if you aren't feeling the gall bladder or, as mentioned, the ducts that would be part of the digestive process.

Try this: Mix a tablespoon of red vinegar and one tablespoon of honey in a full glass (8 oz) water. Warm if you wish; it makes a nice tea.

This mixture helps digestion and acid reflux, especially after a meaty or greasy meal. While some may protest that it seems counter-intuitive to add acid to an acidic problem, I understand that the chems of this solution is beneficial, not adversarial. The acidic stomach is the result of inefficient breakdown of food. Google search for the value that the daily vinegar soln gives. Make your own decision.
lol- I have the same lump as all of you describe. I have been freaking out. And yes, I have a history of anxiety.  thanks for your post.
hi i have a lump in the shape of a ball in the middle of my chest and the doc said its fine is cartilige but i also have a bad back and knee pains when i squat could this be connected?

I'm 52 and lost 20 LBS from diet and exercise.  I also started noticing my sternum seems to have a knot on it or something.  I also started freaking out like I had cancer or something.  I feel a little better after reading these posts.  I have a doctors appt on Tuesday so I will ask about it.  But I feel a little better now after reading everyones comments about something simular.  I will post my doctors comments here on Tuesday if anyone cares.

Thanks.
Hi, I'm 58 and male and I have the similar lump in the XP (sternum area).  BUT, I also have the same type and size of very painful lumps in other areas of my abdomen.  Also, they come and go.  I haven't read anyone mention this going on with them.  I have 4 to 5 lumps that suddenly appear under my skin and can vary in size from small pea to marble size.  They are all very painful.  Then they disappear in a day or two or three, only to reappear a week or so later.  Sometimes I can relate them to more stress.  Other times, it has been after I have gone to the doctor and he has pushed and kneaded, etc.  Usually, when my Dr.'''s appointment comes, the lump disappears.  Then when I get back home (after he had been pushing on my abdomen and chest) they will appear one at a time.  I've had them now for two years and it only started with one.  The first one was in the middle of my sternum.  Then a year later, when that one went from tiny pea to small marble, then another appeared on my right side.  Then another two on my abdomen.  It's weird how they come and go.  The doctors have taken images which show nothing.  They really bug me.  Recently I have gained alot of weight and now my tailbone really hurts. Just got some pain meds while the doctor wants me back in two weeks.  
I have the same story, 50 years old lost 20 lbs, lump in the center of my lower rib cage. I have a doc appt in the morning. Can't tell if it's really bothering more or if its sore from poking at it. Sounds just like all the posts on this site, let's hope that and nothing more!
After you see your Dr, can you get back on here and let us know what they say?  Mine has never gone away and several posts say its the xyphoid process? So I'm curious.
Hey XP - I just noticed my lump on Sunday morning (May 6) - and for the  record I never noticed it  before then.  I did change my diet and exercise habits drastically when I turned fifty on March 1st and I've dropped a dozen pounds. . I quit eating meat and dairy, sweets and processed sugar and alcohol as well.  I do take B12 supplements  and I also started doing 30 mins a day cardio on the elliptical and follow that up with a handful of pull ups. I sleep on my stomach as well.  I read through all the posts on this thread and it doesn't seem that it will just go away.  On the plus side. it doesn't seem to be that big of a problem or cause any pain from most unless you press on it. I'm of the mind set that it is a build up of cart-ledge from the heavy exercise combined with the small stomach that's led to it being more noticeable.  I am happy that I found this thread just a few days after finding the lump as I began to worry and after reading of how common it is, I have been able to lay my worries down and go on with life!
Did you ever find out what was going on with your lump? I have the same symptoms... lump, heartburn and pain in my back, but not always. My lump is just below my sternum and about the size of a walnut.
I would appreciate if you have any info.
Thanks!
Hi all,

I too had a small lump just below my sternum. I only 'discovered' it when I was about 41 (couple of years ago) and the doc said it was muscle and part of the xiphoid process, part of a structure holding the ribcage together.

Check this link out: http://cranquis.tumblr.com/post/2164385222/how-to-identify-your-xiphoid-process-so-you-can-stop

Hope that helps all,

K
I've read a lot of these comments before, as I had the same issue.  The other day put a hand-held vibrator on it and pressed for 20 minutes and 2 days later it was back to normal.  Also, some of the other symptoms have disappeared.
I've been dealing with this for years.
I have the same symptoms although I have to ad that when I swollow it feels like an air bubble that gets stuck right at the end of my sternum.
I also have a lump. Noticed this since I got my laptop, and no wonder! I've been lying on my stomach for hours every night as I surf away...
I would notice my pain starting 5 years ago when my 6 month old baby would crawl on me and put his little hand and the weight of his body into the area just below my sternum.  After all these years it has never really went away.  Even when I'm super protective of it, it seems to only get slightly better.  Now even if my cat walks on me while I'm laying down on the couch and puts his paw right there it hurts and even makes me a little nauseated for a second of two.  Ultrasound showed nothing, and I'm waiting on MRI results.

Anyone else have notice this problem after having little kiddo's always crawling all over you?  

42 yr old male.
anyone else with this problem having trouble with food getting stuck on the way down when they eat?
On one of the post a lady was talking about a  hiatal hernia. Said that it caused her husband to have heart attack like symptoms. Thats the only other thing Ive noticed in the posts besides the xp
27 Male, noticed knot under sternum 20 minutes ago. I have read several comments and I now feel comfortable in NOT spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars to have it looked at. I also have several other joint and bone issues: one including pectus carinatum. The bump/lump under the sternum is called the xiphoid process: it's trying to turn into bone or harden. Its common in teens and those of their 20s. Leave it alone. Don't worry.
: )
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.