Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
lump under sternum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

lump under sternum

I recently felt what feels like a lump under my sternum, it feels like its connected to my sternum and only way i even relized he was there was because i was feeling around my stomach area one day.

It really doesnt bother me but lately ive been noticing it more and more. I dunno if its all in my head just because i found it. Im just wondering if I should go see a doctor, ive read of the xiphoid process and im not sure if thats what it is.

Ive also just had x-rays done on my chest and ekg also for heart examinations which all came back normal, this was about 2months ago, so im thinking if there was something there it wouldve shown up on there, wouldnt it have? Anyone else just suddenly notice something like this, or have any clues on what it may be?
Hi, I have the same thing, feels like an inch long and it hurts when you press on it.  My doctor did the same and took X-Rays and nothing showed up.  I am going for a CT Scan on Tuesday, although it may be nothing I would rather spend the money to find out it is nothing rather than to ignore it and it actually be something serious.  So I recommend you go ahead and get it checked.  Better to be proactive and find it is nothing.
Wow -It's like I'm reading my own story.  I have the same thing as well.  Mine sits on the right side only and seems to be getting bigger.  It didn't bother me until about two weeks ago...although it's been there for at least 4 months.  

It's getting to be that the only comfortable way to be is standing with my back perfectly straight.  Feels like this thing is digging into my insides.  From what I can tell - that's not a really good thing :(

I had x-rays and they all came back normal (about 4 weeks ago). I have an appointment on Tuesday with an orthopedist...is this who I should be seeing?
Deja vu....I'm having the same symptoms...end of sternum is tender, seems like a knot or bigger than I remember, feels like it's digging in some times, best relief comes from sitting upright with back ramrod straight....sometimes ibuprofen helps...

Last visit to family doc, had ekg which was good, and he felt around and wasn't alarmed.

...feels pretty uncomfortable and weird though
Same thing here. Mine is off to the right a little bit, and doesn't hurt but I notice it when I jog. I went o to the doctor, and he told me that it's not a lump on my xiphoid process. It IS my xiphoid process. He said it's off to one side because people aren't necessarily perfectly symmetrical.That doesn't explain why it's uncomfortable. I may insist on x-rays but he assured me that it wqas nothing to worry about
Well, me too.

I have noticed this lump for nearly 4 years with it becoming tender/irritated at various intervals. I also was noticing that there seemed to be a blockage in my esophagus about the same place to the point where it was difficult to swallow something wellchewed, or small, or even drinking water. When it would get like that, swallowing something really chunky would ease the discomfort. I finally went to the doctor, and he examined the lump, declared it to be the xiphoid process, but ordered a CTscan because of the esophagal discomfort. They did the kind that involves somesort of dye. Well, it came back totally clear, and I was left to wonder if it was all in my head, or how I could prove that it wasn't all in my head. I'm so glad to find this site.

Since I found out it is made up of cartilage, I've decided to try and take supplements that are supposedly able to address the problem. We'll see if it works or not. Maybe it will help my knees too.

Do any of the rest of you have other cartilege or joint struggles as well?
I have this lump just below my sternum--it's boney and has a hard mass that goes with it about the size of a chestnut. I felt it was there early August 2008 and I'm still stressed about it right now. I even have at least three lymph nodes swollen--one at the back of my ear and one on each where the sideburns are. the lymph nodes came after a very bad cough that took me two weeks to recover from. I am having some back pain (bearable though)--and that's the worst thing I can say I have as of. I was looking for hints as regards my condition and the nearest possible case is Benign Limpoma or Hodgkins Lymphoma... I hope it's the first one. I don't want to die yet.
I went to a hospital to have my lump checked by an oncologist. he said there's nothing to worry about. It's not lump. It's my xiphoid process. Swollen right then because of too much pressing and attention I've been giving it for the past 7 or 8 months. He even denied me when I insisted to undergo biopsy. I pointed out to him that I also have lymph nodes... weak immune system he said--not getting enuf sleep lately. The lump like appearance of my xiphoid process was because I lost weight due to dieting and gym. He told me to take a lot of Ascorbic Acid, Anti-stress Tabs, Amoxicillin, and a lot of water. I was so relieved... It was so wonderful knowing that all the while it was just a simple case overworrying and false alarm.
Me too but I think it may be because one of my ribs got turned when I strained to pick up a heavy object this winter and that started it. I too have lost weight, but I think I strained myself picking up our granddaughter. I went to a chinese med site and they said to work on the gallbladder with herbs, could it be a swollen gallbladder?
I also found that it could be Chondroititis, inflammed cartilage, may go see the doctor but looks like you all didn't get any help so I may go to the chiropracter first.
I thank so much everyone here for the explainations, even tough, I will make sure to visit a doctor very soon! But, OMG, I completely freaked out and because of that, it almost seems like a started feeling other issues, like hard to breath, pressure on my chest, etc....the mind is very powerful and it can really create things and makes you believe it like it was a fact!
Thanks everyone, it really helped me and calm me down a little bit!
Hey everybody

Thanks for your posts!  I have the same walnut sized lump at the apex of my sternum.  Based on your replies I think it might have emerged from lack of sleep and having drank a bit too much beer and whiskey this past weekend (bachelor party!).   It's definitely weird tho as it is tender if I press it. I'm 31 and figure it's time to get a physical so I'll let you know what the doc says. Fingers crossed it's nothing bad!

Cools
Look up Pectus Carinatum... and Pectus Excavatum.
I had tears in my eyes when reading these posts,i wasnt sure if i was the only person that had this XP lump/golf ball in our mid chest.I was really thinking that i had cancer or something else that was deadly.Because of these posts I felt brave enough to get Xrays.The doc said i was fine and that believe it or not it is more common in alot people.
THANKS to all my fellow XP lumps people (WE are OK :)
erik
from las vegas
Just found mine yesterday!  I had a bad cold mid June with two weeks of coughing.  Once over it I moved on, however, the cough never did seem to go away completely.  Always had the feeling like I need to cough but then I don't cough.  Anyway, here comes heartburn too, and now this.  Doc gave me meds for the heartburn, but they did nothing, had an upper GI on Monday, but not results yet.  Going to the Doc today to find out what this lump is.  Seems to radiate pain into my mid back too, although I don't always have pain from it either.  Seems to come and go on a daily, every other day basis.  Weird.  Praying that it's nothing.  Praying hard.
WOW!!! it really is funny..i have the EXACT same thing and have been telling my girlfriend that its not normal.. but maybe it is.. mine has just been a little discomforting lately though. more so when i press on it so maybe thats the problem..good to know all of you have the same thing lol  thanks
I originally posted in April 2008.

Here's my findings/comments about the sternum lump:

1.) Doctor reaffirmed that there really is nothing wrong; not very common, but not all that rare;
2.) When I gained weight, the lump and pressure around it got worse; when I lost weight, it got better -- so, yeah, I'm continuing to lose weight if it helps this annoyance;
3.) When I treat the lump as "acid reflux", the condition improves; so, I'm now taking generic prilosec on an ongoing basis; I now only even think about it 1-2 times/week;
4.) I'm guessing more than 50% of this group is or has been treated for anti-anxiety at some time (including me); it's tough when your mind keeps telling you "uh oh, that must be a problem!", the mind racing, fear of even dying, it's all truly a physical feeling --  it's just that we have ANOTHER thing to think about that is not truly explained.

God Bless -- I hope this information is useful.
Hi - I am glad to see all of your posts on this topic.  I've noticed my own lump just below and to the right of (or maybe part of) my xiphoid process for about 2 months.  It doesn't really seem to be connected to the sternum - more like a little lump island of its own.  It isn't painful to the touch.  I did just lose about 20 lbs -- wasn't really heavy before, but now I'm in better shape.  I thought maybe this thing was always there & I just noticed it because of the weight loss.  I have had a couple of cortisone shots in my shoulders recently and I started using a minoxidil product around the same time, so I'm wondering if those have anything to do with it.  I was, of course, freaking out about possible cancer, lymph node diseases, etc. so seeing your posts has really been helpful.  I do have  a doc appointment specifically for this issue two days from now, so I'll let you know how it goes.
I went to see my doctor and everything is fine.  Yes - the "lump" was my xiphoid process.  My doctor felt my chest while I was standing up and then when I was lying down.  I didn't tell her what I thought it might be so she said xiphoid process on her own.  She said that my xp is a little lower than most people's, but it was normal, and that I'm probably feeling it more now since I've lost some weight. She also checked out a few moles on my stomach and my back and said that they were fine too.  It was a very quick and painless visit.
How happy am i that i took the time to search google for this problem???
I too have the golf ball sized lump,i too have all the syptoms (symptoms) above,anxiety,pain when i touch the xiphoid process like i'm am digging my thumb straight into my internal organs,back pains at the same level to my xiphoid process,an irritating little cough that i can't seem to shake off,when i swallow it feels like there is a slight blockage around the area,and i also seem to have severe hunger pains every now and then,maybe related to it? But now i have found this site,i bet that most of the 'symptoms ' will at least de-magnify if not vanish all together! In my head for the last few weeks i have been worrying about the 'worst case scenario' now it feels as though a weight has been lifted! Thanks you guys,i guess if i wasn't so stubborn and went to see the doc,then i wouldn't have been worried for this long!ha But then again,i am a bloke,and we don't do things the easy way!!! ha
I also just lost a bit of weight and recently discovered the strangely named golf ball sized bump.  Thanks to everyone to came before and posted about this.  
I had the same problem too.  I started worrying when I felt the lump in between my chest and abdominal area which I noticed for about 2 weeks already.  I have a son and a new born daughter, and thoughts of having a cancer or something serious suddenly hit me.  I visited the doctor yesterday and told me that she thinks it's normal, and what I'm feeling is a part of our body called "Xiphoid Process".  I went home, uncovinced, and thinking about a second opinion.  Then I found your posts, I guess it makes me feel better now.  Probably don't need that second opinion afterall.

For some fellow XPers that said you had reflux problems, could it be this appearance of the XP is related to that, as I have acid reflux problems too.
I started noticing my my XP for a few weeks. But had mid back pain every morning when I wake up from bed. I think the pain is caused by my XP because when I press down on my XP it feels sore. I read Ross's post and he has the same exact pain as I am having. So anyone here feel any better after visiting the doctor? Please share your thoughts.
i just found a lump, right where the xyphoid is.Above stomach in the center and below rib cage. I have no pain but i do work out. I just want a little knowledge before i get checked out.
I cant thank you all enough! I too googled this due to my worry, and found your comments - its just like reading what Ive got.  I have walnut sized lump where I now know is my xiphoid, I first noticed it 12 years ago when pregnant with my daughter, its possible due to the ribs being pushed up and outward in late pregnancy. It feels cartlidg-ey and its not grown nor does it hurt of irritate me, though Im familiar with the feeling when Im pressing or poking it it an make your back mildly ache - more worry!! Periodically when Im stressed I start to worry its something serious, the rest of the time I dont think about it! I figured if its been there 12+ years it cant be something that bad! But I absolutely agree with the person who mentioned anxiety treatments, because I do beleive hyperchondria (oh I have it in spades!) is a sign of anxiety, which probably explains why I worry about it when Im stressed out, I wont worry any more, thank you all so much for helping put my mind at rest! xxxx
A related discussion, Sternum lump was started.
Thank you all so much for you comments! About four months ago I started getting the pain in my chest. I was told it was so many different things and that's when the anxiety kicked in. Finally my doctor booked me for an endoscopy and the specialist diagnosed me right away, It was my Xiphoid process. Does anyone get dizzy from this pain or am I on my own? Could be from the anxiety but im working on that :)
Amazing that there are so many with the same symptoms as myself (I never imagined anyone else would have this too.).  I have seen two different doctors - and both said it was nothing to worry about - of course I still was nervous... until reading all of these posts.  Thank you all.  I have gained weight lately and noticed it is a little achy (not painful) and goes through to my back.  Hopefully it will go away with weight loss.  Good luck everyone!
I am male nearing 70, had quad bypass 21 years ago-no problems since then.
I noticed the XP bump a couple of months ago, as every one says, walnut sized.I can feel it more on sitting up in bed rather urgently from a laying down position - just as the tummy muscles take up tension.
I can also feel it on standing - if I bend forward from the waist then come upright, as this accentuates pressure on the tummy muscles.
I too feel relieved by the number saying that their Doctors confirm its not a serious problem.
As I'm nearly 70, I need only to keep going for 10 years or more so I may mention it at my next medication review, but I feel the anxiety has been reduced by everyone's comments.Try my movement tests and let me know if you get the same results.
Take Care.
Ron
I visited my doctor yesterday because of a lump at the base of my sternum, appeared about 2 months ago, maybe an inch in diameter and 1/2 inch deep. Its tender for a few days after touching or feeling it.  Yes, I thought it could be cancer related.  He said it was part of my sternum, he put me on the table to examine it twice.  He said I may only be noticing it because of weight loss, I lost a few stone in the past 2 years (although I don't remember having it when I was thin).  I've been jogging and doing sit ups, My garmin heart rate monitor chest band had been aggrivating the lump, and so I no longer use the band.  If I'd read these posts yesterday I'd have saved a 20euro trip to the doc!  Although I still suspect its more than just regular XP, its too tender to be regular XP.  I suspect its related to exercise or a virus, I had the swine flu jab not too long before this thing appeared.
Take Care
Austin
I`am a 52 year old male, 12 years ago I reduced my weight from 26 st to 16st and there no lump you could see or feel on my xp, 7 years ago I had by then regained weight, subsequently I reduced my weight from 22st to 18st whereon a lump is clearly visable and protrudes down from my xp by 25mm, since then I`ve spoken to 2 GPs who tell me my xp is normal, and I have a feeling I`am not believed that the prominence in my chest has only appeared in the last several years.
Is the growth of or on the xp normal?
Andy..
I'm 50 year-old female, and have also recently noticed a golf ball size lump on my xp.  I had a Dr. check it 15 years ago and said it was nomal. I've been having a lot of heart burn/acid reflux for the past 6 months, and I just noticed the lump of XP appears to be bigger.  I have a Dr.'s appointment next week.  Will ask about it again and whether or not acid reflux has anything to do with it.  I'm also concerned about the big "C" word because I used to lean over CRT's talking to co-workers, and of course the older CRT's emitted a lot more radiation. :(.  Could be middle-age anxiety too.  Will keep you all posted.  Thanks for your posts, very helpful.
I have the same symptoms, a lump right under my sternum. Went to my doctor today and he said it was nothing to worry about. It was the Xiphoid Process I could feel. It is a cartilage that can move back and forth. As I gained weight over the last few years it pushed it out slightly.
He also said it was normal for the area around the ribs to ache slightly because of it. Mine does if I sleep more than eight hours. I wake up with my chest aching but as I sleep normally for 7 to 8 hours I don’t mind that.
I noticed a small lump right below my sternum, about the size of a chestnut.... Went to the doctor and he seemed concerned since it was tender to the touch... Had a CT scan done (which cost me $948.00) and nothing! Just part of the xiphoid process like all those that have already posted here! He said that mine was the largest one he has ever seen and thinks it is inflamed due to the way I sit in my chair at the computer all day. So don't fret if you have this too... completely normal.
I just had an amazing thought.  I totally have a Xiphoid Process that somewhat bulges and has tenderness to the touch also.  It's been bulging for years for me and I've always been worried about it.  Never was like this when I was younger (I'm 33 now).

My amazing thought is stomach sleeping.  How many of you sleep on your stomach?  It doesn't have to be face in the pillow facing the core of the earth stomach sleep.  I can't fall asleep unless I'm on my stomach, head turned right on the pillow and left arm under the pillow like I'm sleeping on my left shoulder/bicep area with the pillow as a cushion.

Now also, I've been gaining weight over the years and have a pot belly now.  So how many of you also have some belly fat as well?

So I just tried to go to bed for the night thinking of my recent Xiphoid Process inflammation (which came after driving golf balls - which is harsh on the sternum and Xiphoid) and as I get in position it dawns on me:  Holy-moly...my center of gravity of my torso is almost directly on my Xiphoid Process as I sleep on my stomach.

I've slept this way perhaps my whole life.  And only in my late 20's and 30's got a pot belly.  Sure enough, late 20's and 30's Xiphoid bulge and tenderness.

Let me know your thoughts, and bring this info to your doctors if it holds true!!!
Great to find out I'm not alone! Like some of you, one day I was just feeling my stomach as I have been losing weight on my new diet, when I noticed a bump on sternum area, between breasts just a little bit lower. Tried to do as much research as possible online before going to see a doctor. So from the sounds of it, it kinda sounds like this maybe normal and nothing major to worry about. Thanks to all of you I think I just saved myself a huge doctor bill, Thank you all!
I also have a not painful golf ball sized lump below my sternum and slightly to the right side.  I found it during the middle of a weight loss biggest loser style competition that ended up winning.  At the point I found it I think I had lost about 30 lbs in about 4 weeks.  2 more months have passed and I have been to two doctors and one physical therapist.  No one seems concerned about it but no one did an xray or anything other than push on it either.  When I push on it it feels like someone is massaging my internal organs in a weird not exactly painful kind of way.  I haven't been pressing on it for two months now and it still has not gone away.  One doctor called it a cyst and said not to worry about it unless it gets really big and painful.  I don't think I had it before 3 months ago but I was seriously overwieght so maybe I couldn't find it until I lost weight.   I also think it may have possibly been caused by crunches.  Two days before I found it I did a lot of crunches during a class and I felt that area cramp up during class.  The only other weird things I have going on now that is probably unrelated is I found out all of the sudden that I have a low heart rate....about 45 to 60 at rest.  I had an EKG during the 3rd week of the contest just to make sure I was okay and that is when I found out about the low heart rate.  They sent me to a cardiologist and he just looked at my EKG and said I was fine.  I also sometimes have severe stabbing pains in my left side of my chest and upper rib area when I move a certain way.   It happens at rest and persists for hours. It feels like what I would think of as a heart attack.  I have to hold a certain pose to keep the pain low.  If I can manage to pass gas most of the time it gets rid of or lessens the pain.   I don't know why no one is concerned but me.  I think I might go to a third doctor.
Good to see that there's a few of us with similar symptoms and causes to this: I've recently lost a bit of weight, not a huge amount as I didn't have too much to lose in the first place, but have gone from having a bit of a beer gut to being somewhat slimmer and fitter thanks to an increase in the amount of excercise I undertake each week, and have noticed exactly the same thing - a small lump at the base of my sternum that's not exactly painful, just slightly uncomfortable.
I've been putting off going to the doctor's in case it is something serious (not the best strategy I know, but I'm sure I'm not alone in applying that kind of skewed logic), but will having read the comments above will now get it checked out knowing that there is a chance it could be benign.

Thanks all!
It sounds like most of you have Costochondritis

I seen a video on youtube which showed it can look like a lump of various sizes
Hi, I also have this lump. but it doesn't feel like it is part of the sternum. it is somehow deeper, not on the same level. of what I've heard from you people, you didn't say it is deeper. it feels like it is between my stomach and the sternum somehow. and it is the size of a golf ball and it is hard. and it doesn't move. any idea what can it be? I am very worried, but will see the doc for an endoscopy only on the 14th. they were booked until then. thanks.
Ok, I've been to the doctor. the lump was indeed the xiphoid appendix. but the discomfort I felt was an ulcer. so it is still good that it's not a tumor or something, I was really scared. the thing is I felt some discomfort inside so I pushed my finger in. that's when I felt "the lump". I didn't notice it untill then. so all the best to all of you.
I have the exact same lump and I heard that it can be linked to surfing. Lying on the board and paddeling - the XP is right at the pressure point on the board and can get inflamed.The body protects itself by building up cartilage and the end result is your golf ball XP.
Ok so my problem is just like the rest of you. I found this lump in December, my friend who is a LPN told me that it is probably my XP and she had one that was very prominent too.  I had let it go thinking she was right until yesterday. I have started having a burning sensation and last night is seemed as though I was having to breathe in deep like I couldnt get enough air. Today it's been bothering me as well.
And to XiphoidSleep,-- I have slept the same way you sleep my whole life. I am 28 now. I have been freaking out all day about this. Ugh! I dont want to get old....lol.
I have the same thing and I knew it was my xiphpoid process, and I thought something was possibly growing behind it. It was never tender, just uncomfortable if I wasn't standing straight up. I've learned that the "tightness" that was there as well was due to stress. It got to the point that my mind convinced me that I was having heart problems, which led me experience lightheadedness because of the fear of that possibility. That, my friend, can be considered a Panic Attack. True, your brain can trick you into freaking out over the simplest of things. Fix action? Meditation. Relax all your muscles in a quiet place, and imagine a big box you can throw all your problems into... Then imagine shoving that box into putter space, far away from you! It works. Good luck to everyone! - Aaron
I too have this massive lump... although my lump is slightly higher up, its between my shoulders.. ontop of my neck.

My doctor says its "JUST A NORMAL BONE CALLED THE CRAINIUM" but i dont believe him, im going into more tests and x-rays because my new doctor says he needs a new Jag.

Was going to go to doctor, but with everyones in put now feel confident to make my own dignosis,besides already had the ekg and barium tests and cleared.Figure it may have come from 25yrs of karate and or the 3yrs spent in judo and aikido (tough on the body,when you start after your fourties.) Now that I'm fifty notice old injuries making a come back or rearing it's head. Now I'll just settle to be a more sedate grandmother.   Cheers
I Believe to have the same XP problem. Mine appeared after a sharp blow from my 16 year old daughter to that spot. when I sit up or flex my stomach it goes in more. When lying down it is tender to touch and gives a sour stomach sensation when pressed. I thought it may be a beginning of a hernia, but now believe it to be cartilage build up from the trauma force .

i
Xyphoid Process and Vagal Nerve Response symptoms.  Is there a connection.  I am a 56 year old female who has recently lost weight.  I felt the lump in my chest and was concerned.  My daughter and housekeeper didn't have a palpable mass in the same place.  I said it must be my sternum, but had a CT scan at daughter's request.  CT Report: "study demonstrates ANTEVERSION OF THE XYPHOID IN ITS INFERIOR ASPECT which may account for the palpable abnormality in this region." (meaning my Xyphoid is leaning forward).  It is more noticiable when standing, however, disappears when in a sitting position.  I have been having problems for the past few months (only when sitting) with sudden onset of cold sweats, weakness, feeling faint, trembling, lightheaded, and nausea.  The symptoms are relieved immediately upon standing.  It is as though something is being cut-off or compressed (blood supply, oxygen, or who knows) when I am in a sitting position.  One of my doctors noticed these symptoms during a recent visit and said it was a Vagal Nerve Response and had me lay down.  I am wondering if my inverted Xyphoid could be pressing agains my Vagal nerve or something else to cause these symptoms.  I am at a loss on what to do about the situation.  Has anyone had a similar problem that they found the cause and a solution?  Bewildered and tired of standing in Louisiana.
I'm only 14 and have this strange lump! I'm going to go see a doctor about this tomorrow. I was worrying about it being serious before reading everybody's comments on here!
Hi everyone.
Im female and 31 yrs. I find it very comforting that I am not alone in this lumpy business. I am very interested to find out more, because I dont buy what some of your doctors have said: it has always been there, you just haven't notices it untill now. No, it has NEVER been there before. I was thin 15 years ago, and if it was there, I would have totally freaked out as well.
It seems we all have lost weight around the time we have first noticed the lump. This to me is the most interesting part. What were you eating and how were you exercising?
So far three of us have been doing a lot of sit-ups / crunches right before first noticing the lump. This could point to the motion irritating the XP, causing inflammation or what ever.
But I was wondering about our diet during the weight loss. Did you guys stop eating any particular food? I stopped eating all candy, chocolate, sugar, white bread, pasta, rice, potatoes. I have taken vitamin pills, but only today I noticed there is no magnesium in the pills! Is it possible that the lump is caused by vitamin or mineral deficiency, because of our weight-loss-diet?
Furthermore:
I am sleeping on my stomach, with either arm under the pillow.
I sit at my computer all day long. Except for 2 hours when exercising.
I never sit up straight. My back aches a lot because of it.
I feel like it is harder to breathe, and like my heart doesnt have enough room. It may seem strange, but I feel like my whole rib cage has gotten smaller.
When taking deep breaths, lungs ache.
My heart rate is 60 /min
I went from 10 to 20 cigarettes a day when starting the diet.

Hope to find out how to get rid of this lump. I can't touch it without freaking out. Best of luck to you all.
Im gonna go buy some magnesium first of all :)
And just one more thing:
I also have difficulty swallowing. It is as if the food just doesnt want to go all the way down.
Based on all the comments I have read, it seems that we all have the following:

1) Change in body mass. Most of us have been losing weight. A few gained weight.

2) Dieting

3) Many situps and excericse. I do situps on a situp machine with like 160 pounds on it which is probably causing my problem as I started doing this over a year ago and notice the lump soon afterward.

4) Paranoia!

I am seeing a doctor anyway about mine, but I feel a lot better about it right now :)
I have the same exact thing, started around 3 months ago, one day I got up went to work and when driving to work it felt like I had very full stomach. Now It just feels like I have constant pressure/fullness in my chest and if I bend forward it feels like my Xiphoid is pressing on internal organs. I think I got this for sitting on my couch and twisting to type/look at my laptop on the table next to my couch for hours at a time. Hopefully it goes away it's all I think about now! Thank you all, if you get any further information or yours clears up please keep us all informed.
I've had this for almost 5 years now, It was steadily getting worse over the years. more and more painful until at it's worst any pressure on my ribcage even from the weight of my own arm would cause me pain and it was painful to breathe. I've had a major diet change to being a raw foodist which helped the pain quite a bit. When I started to take Holy Basil aka Tulsi I noticed over months combine with my diet, my chest got less and less painful. If I forgot to take my tulsi.. I could actually feel the difference. I also notice that some days it would hurt quite a bit more then others which I noticed were days I ate too many nuts or other fatty things. It's important to have fat in your diet. I just have been learning to eat it in moderation. The swelling has not gone down at all but when I eat correctly and take my holy basil I feel no pain and can lead a more active lifestyle.
I started taking holy basil because it is supost to be one of the strongest anti-inflammatories known to man and it does not give me ulcers like ibuprofen did when I tried to use that.. I think it makes sense to eat in a way that reduces inflammation if my problem is that my xiphod process is inflamed. Just my 2 cents.
whewww. i think i have the same lump.i was feeling for my stomach muscles under my fatness and as i went up i felt it.i started doing p90x three weeks ago and ive lost about 12 pounds.maybe i can relax now. ty
I also have the lump that has been growing in size over the last 4-5 years in the xyphoid area.  Also have difficulty swallowing.  Don't sleep on my stomach often - more of a side sleepr.  Glad to hear that it is not serious.
I too have this lump and it is the X.P. just lose weight.  Oh I found another lump it is just below my mouth it sticks out and the Dr told me it was my chin  ';-}
I just read all of your posts and I am so happy right now.  My husband has had this weird "lump" on his chest for the past few years and we have both been stressed out about it.  He was recently deployed to Iraq and lost a lot of weight while he was there.  It started causing him more pain than ususal.  After several tests he just TODAY had surgery to remove the Xyphoid process.  I'm so excited to see if this helps his back pain too!  He's still overseas, but hopefully he'll be home a painless and "lump free" soldier!!!  Good luck to all of you....
I've had that problem for the past 4 years, I was told by my Haitian family that it was xyphoid appendix, but I ignored it. after going to the doctor many times with no answers I got an herb healer to help me, and now I doing fine.

Here's the research I found, I hope this help
That important organ, which doesn’t seem to be the thymus, doesn’t seem to have its equivalency in the anatomy books. Located behind what is understood to be the xyphoid appendix, it acts like a gland that has the habit to "fall" after an excessive effort. When it does, a condition called "biskèt tonbe" or "fallen bisket" occurs, generating all sorts of perturbations in the physiology of the person, male or female, young or old.
To redress an abnormally inverted or retroverted "biskèt which has fallen" calls for painful and elaborate manipulations and treatment
BISKÈT TONBE One of the imprecise complaints which the Western practitioner encounters so frequently. Literally, “fallen breastbone or sternum,” translated variously as “to have a sore chest; to be incapacitated (above waist); or, to suffer epigastric discomfort.” Many Haitians interpret the problem as being caused by a section of cartilage at the end of the sternum displaced as the result of a blow, fall, or strain. It is most often treated by a faith-and-herb healer who massages the back and abdomen, occasionally tugging on the thumbs, while the patient remains seated with the legs extended. Herbal teas, together with appropriate prayers, are prescribed as well. (Cf. the complaints of mis tonbe, literally “fallen coccyx,” generally translated as “to have lower-back pain”; lanmè tonbe, literally “fallen womb or uterus,” translated “to have a prolapsed uterus”; and lalwèt tonbe, literally “fallen uvula,” translated as “acute respiratory distress, or tonsillitis.”)

http://www2.ku.edu/~haitiancreole/med_anthropology/medical_anthropology.pdf
I also have swelling in the sternum.  It comes and goes.  We think it's related to my Rheumatoid arthritis.  I also have some inflamation (inflammation) in my lungs caused by the RA. I've never slept on my stomach or had any blows to that area. I'm 70 and this showed up when I had terrible pain all over my body and was in the hospital for a few days to try and figure out what it was.  The Dr. had never seen anything like it and was concerned.  Now it just comes and goes.  Nothing we can do about it.
I noticed a lump at the base of my sternum, about 4 years ago. My doctor said it was my hiatal hernia. To be honest, I didn't really notice is for about 3 years, so maybe it was the HH before.
     I've recently lost 82 pounds, and started noticing it again, but now it feels more boney and immoveable than it did before. I also sit at a computer all day and have bad posture, as someone else mentioned. I've definitely wondered if it had anything to do with the weight loss, though certainly with the omentum getting smaller, it makes sense that it would be more noticeable. When I lie on my back it sticks out.
     My doctor is sending me for an x-ray and ultrasound, to rule out if there is anything sinister growing there. I also have swollen glands, just on the left side, so I am also getting that ultrasounded, and my doctor wants me to see my dentist to rule out if there is anything in my mouth causing that.
   I'll keep you all posted, but glad to read here that most people are now pretty sure it's not anything life-threatening.

It's probably that you injured that XP bone from so much coughing and once its swollen/injured it takes a long time to heal. Good luck with your doctor's results.
I have seen Drs. & had numerous tests done over the past several months.  One problem was that my gallbladder was FULL of stones (the idea of which my gastroenterologist actually laughed at when I told him a few people who had them had the same symptoms I've been having).  I had my gallbladder removed 10 days ago!  Meanwhile, I had a lump & chest pain, which the same Dr. dismissed as costochondritis.  I asked the surgeon about it, & he said it was NOT costochondritis since there was a lump.  Yesterday my family Dr. told me it is my xiphoid process.  The xp on most ALL people is turned inward, but for some unknown reason mine is turned outward. I lost a little weight & that's when I discovered the lump. He said it would become more prominent the more weight I lose.  I have chest pain, back pain, nausea, gagging when I bend over.  As you all know, there is nothing that can be done about it - just something we have to live with, but it's getting old!!  Good luck to all of you, but I'm glad to know I'm not alone!
Update: I had my x-rays and ultrasound and they were "inconclusive." My doctor is sending me to see a surgeon who performed a xiphoidectomy on another patient of hers. The most logical explanation I have found for this is that an increase of weight in the upper abdomenal (abdominal) area (the omentum , probably) over time causes the xiphoid to bend outward. When the weight is lost (as we all seem to have in common), the bone stays poking out and is impinging on nerves and muscles that previously were protected by fat.

I, too, have difficulty swallowing and sometimes can feel as I'm about to swallow that there's a spasm in my chest and I know it is going to really hurt when the food passes that area (and it always does).

I'll let you know what this surgeon has to say. I get such debilitating pain now with this...excruciating spasms in my intercostal muscles and back muscles around the ribcage area, plus my diaphragm now goes into spasm and gets distended, which is also terribly painful. I may have to have this thing out.

So helpful to read all your comments and learn of the things we all have in common. I haven't been doing crunches and am not a stomach sleeper, but I know my poor posture contributes the the problem.

I have the same problem as most of you. I lost 75 pounds in the last year. I have been this weight before in years past, but never noticed this. I first noticed the clicking sound after I had a few rounds of Physical Therapy for neck pain. Now I have this click everytime I slouch and then sit up straight and everytime I bend over and when it is inflamed after exercise, I even have it when I breathe. Any amount of vigorous exercise where I use my chest makes it very painful for about a week. I can't even have sex with my husband of 25 years without having excruciating chest wall pain and XP pain for about a week (sorry to gross you all out, but it is true ; ). I TOO HAVE THE SWALLOWING ISSUE WHERE FOOD APPEARS TO GET STUCK ON THE WAY DOWN. If you read articles on XP Syndrome it will tell you swallowing difficulties along with headaches are symptoms of this disorder. Unfortunately, it does not appear anyone can do anything for it and it isn't anything that can kills us, but I can tell you it sure can cause some major pain depending on the extent. It is just so darn irritating!!!
A prominent cardiac surgeon told me that he could remove my xiphoid (not sure if he meant part or all) which he said MIGHT cure my xiphoid pain.   But, he cautioned me that he could not guarantee that the pain would be removed by the surgery and further he cautioned that I MIGHT end up experiencing even more pain as a result of the surgery.   Theefore, I decided to forego the surgery and just live with the on and off periods of xiphoid area pain.  
Hi There, I have found I have XP too, it dosnt bother me but it did give me the fright of my life! I was sure I had cancer. After reading every ones comments and doing a Google search, i feel soo much better.

Thanks all.
I found this lump last night as I was admiring my not-so-fat-anymore-40 lbs-less self...I too, immediately thought of cancer.  My father died of bone cancer and I was scared to death!!!  Then, I Googled it and found this thread.  Thank whomever!!!  I think I will have it checked out by my doctor, but I feel much relief after having read your stories.  Thanks.
I too believe I have XP syndrome. I am 31 and I have had fibromyalgia for years and years. I have had what I thought and probably is costochondritis, but this must be in addition to that I now believe. I have really been worrying lately and have been too scared to look it up, but am so thankful I decided to. I feel pretty confident that most of my issues go back to my fibro. I don't know if many of you have it also or if it's something you should read up on. I sleep on my stomach and do think that affects this issue as well as my severe tailbone pain issue. I have lost weight recently and noticed the lump, but also I have noticed a lump in the upper part of my stomach, which probably has me worried more. I don't know if this is related, but it is making me look like I am pregnant. I just wonder if any or all of this chest and stomach stuff is related? Let me know if anyone has any insight on this. :)
I have to add to this. I have the same thing. A prominent lump that's to the left. It really freaked me out when I first noticed it,,, over 12 years ago... when I was around 40 years old.

I just noticed again, which is what sent me looking about it. Two factors stand out between then and now.
1) I've lost a lot of weight (very intentionally).
2) Part of the weight loss regimen has included doing lots of push-ups.

I also think (without researching) that it's probably something that occurs as you get past 35. I also had a sternum injury at around 14 playing football. It looks and feels nasty. But after 12 years, I doubt I'm in trouble. I think this thing is kind of like an Adam's; something that develops as you get older and is more prominent in some people than others.
Hi guys, im 17 years old, and i have lump on my chest, its on the left handside of the top of my sternum. sometimes i would get pains with it, but very rarely. ive had this for about a year and 4 months, but recently ive found i feel i am constantly out of breath and i feel the lump may be the cause but im not completely sure, at the start i felt it could be the that some of my bones had not fused correctly. ive had xrays done and they said they could not see a problem or they were not sure what it was.. any ideas? :)
wow thanks everyone : ) it's 2am and i just felt mine for the first time today and was freaking out. but now I can sleep.
wow, this is crazy to see all the posts on this topic.  I too thought the worst thing ever!  I have a walnut sized mass base of sternum, lost about 50 lbs lately.  i was llifting weights and rested the barbell below my breasts and noticed the lump.  ugh!  the mind does play horrible tricks on you.  take a deep breath and relax!!!  life is good isnt it?

jen
Wow, I thought I was the only one!

I'm a 45 year old male, in fit shape, lift weights and play racquetball and I found this discussion a week ago after discovering a small bulge just under the sternum, right in the middle. Perhaps the size of a small walnut shell, smooth texture. I was laying down and feeling around there and noticed it. Never noticed it before.

I was in sheer terror until today when I was able to get to my doctor and have him feel it and I didn't mention "xiphoid process" at all beforehand. His diagnosis was quick: that's your xiphoid process, it calcifies (?) as you get older, very common and nothing to worry about. I said, "Ziphoid? What the heck is that?!"

Just thought I'd share, since this forum gave me a little relief when I was first searching for this phenomenon. It took me three days just to find out what a xiphoid process was! It's worth going to the doctor anyway if you're freaked out....I drove my wife a little crazy so I have to make it up to her now.
Discovered my tender xp lump earlier this year while getting a massage.  I was very surprised and nervous to discover a tender lump the size of a chestnut, just below my sternum and above my stomach.  All kinds of scenarios went racing through my head!  But after reading the multitude of posts on this website, I feel much more at ease that I'm experiencing "xiphoid process"     Thank you to all of you have posted, and helping those who just got here.

Yup, every symptom that I have read from other postings is like reading what I would have written in a doctor's report.  Even right down to the swallowing, the mildly achy  back pain on the back exactly behind the lump.  Weird!!!!!     Thanks again!

mb3000
i have the same lumps and i kinda hurts sometimes but then it goes away. it usually comes when dont get enough sleep or when im stressed. today it came back and it hurts. it seems to be right in the center or my chest and along my right rib cage. not sure what it is but i should reallygo check it out.

Im not the only one wow.
Are you all smokers too?
I have a lump right at/under my sternum. But my story is a bit different. This lump causes me pain 24 hours a day..extreme pain. It all started when one night I have bad pain for 6 hours where every organ in my body felt like it was going to explode. When that subsided I was left with severe pain on the right under my breast at the base of my ribs. After a lot of normal scans and tests the HIDA scan showed my gallbladder working at 3%. I only felt the sternum pain when they touched it with the ultrasound device at the time. After they removed my gallbladder the pain on the right subsided but I began having the same type of pain right under my sternum. Constant stabbing, aching, burning, slicing..went to couple docs that weren't worth nothing and finally found my current doc who sent me in for blood tests (this was 3 weeks after surgery). When doc got blood test immediately put me in the hospital because of my liver numbers. My hair started falling out and my urine turned dark brown. The lump under my sternum was getting bigger and the constant stabbing became so severe that all I could do was cry and sometimes scream in pain while in bed. Lots of test at hospital all normal except blood. Doc had a hunch it was my bile duct but couldn't get anything on any scans..xrays, CT's, Ultra sounds, MRI's, and an MRCP. They finally did an ERCP and found that the tissue in my common bile duct had overgrown in itself and was clogging the duct. They did immediate surgery during the procedure and removed the tissue and did balloon therapy (wanted to avoid a stint). Nothing showed up on the scans because the tissue was camoflauged by my own tissue (called stenosis). My pain went way down but was still very prominent. They gave me many medications that do not work and I am on Morphine and Oxycodone but that just helps to take some of the edge off enough so I can get out of bed and do some walking and stuff. I had a 3rd surgery in Jan 2011 exploritory from OBGYN to make sure no endometriosis. All docs were confused and still are. Recently I was at UCSF and had a celiac plexis nerve block in case was chronic pancreantitis..but that didn't work. Now I am currently seeking a diagnoses at Stanford. Found out that the stenosis may be reoccurring cause they did a HIDA scan to check bile flow (the docs at hospital did not do that). But they don't think that the bile flow prob should be causing this much pain..I beg to differ with the experience just before going in the hospital when my bile duct was almost completely blocked. I have another ERCP with possible surgery (won't know if surgery was needed till after wake up). But the pain doc at Stanford thinks that maybe it could be inflammation of the xiphoid and could have arthritis in it because of the joint right there that connects the ribcage together. He said not to get my hopes up though cause that might not be the prob but if the injection works then I will finally have a diagnosis as to what is causing the pain. It makes sense cause that area is the direct area of my pain. It hurts constantly and sometimes when I turn a certain way left or right it feels like a knife is slicing me in the turning direction. When bending down it feels like someone is pushing a butcher knife straight through that area. The further I bend down the further it feels like the butcher knife is being pushed in the area. The lump feels like it's covered in sandpaper and spikes on the inside so it is constantly scratching me and slashing when I turn my body left/right. I have been trying soo hard to find a diagnosis and a treatment that will help me..even the meds im on don't help and I'd rather they figure it out and cure it than put me on diluadin, methadone, or oxycotin. I do know the diluadin is quite effective for the pain. Doesn't make it all go away but works better than anything else I've had. But I don't want to be given medicine and then given up on finding what the cause and effective treatment is so I don't have to be on medicine. I have been treated in Feb 2011 for costochondritis and that was the worst medication treatment I have ever had. That made the area 100x more sensitive. Even the slightest bump and I would burst into tears. I took all the meds for an entire month and then they had me stop them. My pain went back to "normal" pain and sensitivity once stopped that med regime. I hope this injection will work. It will be done at Stanford with anesthesia and will be injected with an anti-inflammatory and steroid. The doc said he hopes this works cause if it don't he doesn't have any ideas on how to treat me or a possible diagnosis..but he will keep trying. In Feb they injected me near my rib cage and twice in my breast plate and I had numerous injections before and after that but didn't do anything. This is the first time they will be injecting me directly in the centerpoint of my pain. Since the lump started with my pain back in Aug 2010 it has kept getting larger. It larger than a golf ball but still smaller than a tennis ball at this time. It has steadily been getting more prominent and easier to feel. I'm wondering if there's anyone else out there who has had the same probs with extreme pain in that area as me. All the stories I've read so far sound just like the lump I have as far as location and sensitivity to touch (that defenitely causes tears sometimes wailing) but I haven't seen any where a person has 24 hour non stop pain. Any type of movement makes it hurt worse..including vibrations such as riding in a car or listening to music (the bass just penetrates right through it). I have the least amount of pain laying on my back and not moving.  Cold packs/heating pad do nothing but aggravatet. As far as laying on my stomach goes..no way..they made me do that and my whole body was shaking uncontrollably from pain. Please let me know if any of you have had anything similar to what I'm going through and if you've found anything that helps. Thank you.
I have been noticing this lump under my sturnum the last few weeks. Mostly when sucking in my gut or coughing. But it had worried me for awhile because it was tender and could be pushed in quite a bit. After looking it up online and seeing that it was my xiphoid, as well as all the comments here, I feel so much better. I have lost weight lately and havent been keeping the best diet or sleep schedule, which are all probably the causes of this swelling. Thank you all for your comments. I feel much better knowing this is a somewhat common thing.
Many of your stories seem similar to my husbands, I would suggest looking into hiatal hernias. My husband for years has been suffering from anxiety, chest pains similar to a heart attack, daily vomiting, severe GERD, fatigue, depression and at the center of it all, a bump/bulge at the base of his sternum. He told the doctors from the begining it was something to do with that bulge but they would never believe him. They just kept feeding him Xanax and Protonix, telling him to see a therapist for his anxiety, keep taking meds/change his diet for the heartburn/vomiting and the bulge was just his xyphoid process protruding and he probobly just never noticed it before. We have never been satisfied with this diagnosis and I have continued to research his symptoms. I recently happened upon information about hiatal hernias and, low and behold, every symptom he has fits the bill!!! It is caused by the stomach protruding through the esophageal opening in the diaphram (the bulge) which allows the stomach contents to enter the esophagus (the GERD and vomiting) this causes severe chest pain similar to a heart attack (his first symptom and the reason we went to the doctor) which in turn leads to anxiety because you think you are dying which is exasterbated by the fact that your stomach is pushing against your diaphram making it hard to breath!!! No freakin wonder you have a panic attack!!! Anyway, in my research I have found my husbands situation to be anything but unique. It seems the common misdiagnosis is anxiety/panic attack disorder and GERD/acid reflux. While the GERD/reflux can cause or worsen the hernia, and needs treatment, the meds do nothing to address the hernia itself. Many suffers go their whole lives never knowing they have one, as most are not severe enough to cause such sustained discomfort. Most cases are treated with diet/lifestyle changes, but some more serious cases do eventually require surgery similar to a Lapband type procedure. I hope I have provided some insight as to your mysterious bumps and you can all get the right diagnosis and treatment you deserve! It is no fun that's for sure!!! Google hiatal hernia and see if it fits your bill! My husband is going to be following the recomended life changes and we will see where we go from here! I am certain, however, this is what his problem is!!!
Had all the symptoms, some of the anxiety, and all the relief after reading your comments...also recently lost some weight.

To Momabearandcubs - If it's anyway possible to do a few stomach curls a few times a week -I can almost guarantee that acid reflux will disappear!
The thing is, they don't have to be big movement exercises at all.
It actually feels pretty good to just lay on your back on the floor and then I lift my knees (press the small of your back to the floor when you do -it feels so good!) and pretend I'm pulling a rope between my legs (feet on the ground) with my head, neck and just the top of my shoulders off the floor. Ease up to it and you'd be surprised how doable it is at any age. I'm 60
Putting your lower legs up on a chair (parallel to the floor) and getting any kind of lift at all from your lower body (on the floor in front of the chair) even just the head and neck really focuses right on the part of the abdomen muscles that keep the center of the chest up straight.
Carefully, carefully.  Never press on the back of your head, just rest your hands there. Use your elbows for balance and control.
I promise it will be worth the effort.
I have a lump also under the middle if my rib cage. It feels about the size of s baseball. I noticed it first two years ago, I think it is still about the same size as it was when I found it. It doesnt really ever cause me pain, but sometime causes discomfort. I have no insurance so I never go to the doctor about it. Plus I don't want bad news.  
I only recently realized my sternum was enlarged...before, I had experienced such bad  heartburn,  that I began taking Prilosec, daily, until it abated.
Is there a doctor whom is proficient, in this?
I am a F and 50...not particulary defunct, in the physical category...but also not adept.  I'm not a "fatty", but I am also not as lean as I should be.  Meaning...I have become lazy, over the last decade.
I really don't expect an intelligent answer....my question is too vague...but thank you.
im 33 male.
i notice this lump when i was like 17 years old. but never felt it.
how i notice it? i like doing exercise not all the time but i always sign up for a year but end up going just the first few weeks. yes ever since i was 17.
ok i notice it because i could never have a perfect six pack i always seem something up there like a lump but never actually felt it.

like 3 days ago i was doing some bench press and some sit up right after while taking a rest kind of press little under my chest and felt that lump and i tell you im still freak out i stared crying and getting mad right there.

just to make sure im going to the doctor Monday morning but reading ya stories i feel brave. thank you for your post and i hope is not a big deal.

mine is locate right under the middle of the chest like where the last or bone of your chest is at 1 inch under.

ever since i found it i feel is getting bigger, i feel bad sleeping face down thinking is going to pop or something, was a 20 cig smoker a day automatically cut down to like 8 a day,i don't feel hungry no more all i do is think of the lump and my two daughters 5yrs and 1yr. all i ask is to see them grow after that hey, my job is done.

but thank you all guys by reading all ya stories i just feel hungry again and i think ill be ok sleeping face down tonight. ether way i'll try to write back after i see the doctor. ***@**** if any one needs to talk ill be happy to hear from any of you guys.
Did you ever find out what was wrong?????
I am a fairly thin female, 32 years of age. I never was able to see my xiphoid process but for the past 4 months or so, it looks like a flat walnut sticking out of my chest. I plan on going to the doctor but I have major anxiety from this NOW. It feels slightly squishy and I can move it slightly. What would cause it to appear out of nowhere?
I am having the same problem as many of you on here. Discovered a walnut size lump under my sternum area about 6 months ago. It hurts a lot to the touch and I have pain that sometimes radiates to my back.My chest xray was normal. I had several Cat Scans done to watch 2 lung nodules but they don't seem to be related as far as the doctors are concerned. The ortho Dr. said it is inflammation. I cannot take Ibuprofen or Aspirin due to being allergic so I only use Tylenol which does nothing for the inflammation it seems. I also was worried it could be cancer. I had an endocscopy which came back normal except for acid reflux so am starting on a prescription acid reducer and hope that somehow helps. I did lose about 10 lbs in the past year so maybe that's why I'm somehow just discovering this (?) but it never hurt before to the touch as it does now. I even had one doctor tell me to wear a looser bra since that could also irritate it.
I also noticed a bump under my sternum.  My Dr. didn't seem too concerned but ordered an Ultrasound for peace of mind.  During the ultrasound, the tech called in the radiologist (didn't seem like a very good sign to me).  The radiologist asked me how long I had the bump (I said I didn't know and it only occurred to me later that losing 35 lbs - intentionally - this Spring/Summer would have made the bump much more noticeable), if it had changed in size (no), if it hurt (no) or if I remembered injuring the area (no).  Then, he recommended a CT scan or MRI - Scary!!  So, off to the CT scan I went.  Waiting for results is nerve-wracking.  In my case, it was determined that my xyphoid, part of the sternum, was sticking out a bit and that my health was in no way in danger.  I thought I would post this to ease your minds a little, but it is always best to talk to your doctor and follow through with all recommended tests and appointments.  I wish you all the very best of health.
Glad you found out that it is okay. So many stories on here sound identical. Guess it's good for everyone to get checked out just in case. Sure is scary to have an unknown lump like this.
thanks for all your posts, feel alot better, I just noticed mine 6mnths ago, I go to see the doc this friday...(started bothering me a bit)
I am 29, female,had 2 kids, I smoke, I am thin (never overweight), don't get acid reflux, NEVER sleep on my stomach, but I do excerise regular.....
i have the same condition i asked a couple of doctors and they felt below the sternum in the middle where the stomach is, and its as if its hardened. going to get it checked out again.
I have this lump and am very scared to as I have a dimple there to my doctor said it don't feel like it's I'n the breast But couldn't tell me what it was and sending me for a scan could u have cancer I'n this place as I have a dimple there to right on my bra line more to the left I'm so scared I'm 33 years ov age and as there is cancer I'n the family
but no breast cancer someone please have u found out what these lump is I'm waiting to have the scan appointment but can't help but worry x
I discovered a lump like all of you have described 3 weeks ago after developing blood clots in my sholder area.  I hope it is the XP as I had a large sarcoma tumor removed 2 1/2 years ago nearby and get scared at the thought of cancer returning. I did have my last CT in August 2011 and there was no indication of a new cancer site. Whew, I have not noticed any more swelling since discovery. CT's are so full of radiation and I have a scheduled scan in January so I don't like the idea of having one earlier than planned.
Hey all, i recently started feeling pain in my lower sternum, nothing too serious more of a dull ache every now and again. i went to the doctor and he said to go and get an ultrasound because he said it felt to hard to be a hernia. just got back from the ultrasound and i was told that my sternum kicks inwards at the end which occurs in 10% of people and this was causing the pain. i was so thankful it wasnt anything else..... but it only becomes apparent to people when they lose weight as the fat covers it :)

i hope this puts some of you're minds to rest. but i would recommend getting it checked out. cant be too safe!
I also noticed this unusual lump over the last month. It's not very big yet, but getting a bit uncomfortable. Was worried what the hell it might be, but after looking at the anatomy of the upper body and reading the posts here, I know it's the XP. I also lost about 20 lbs this year (am a bit too skinny now), had a good amount of stress and not always enough sleep, so I will try to regain this weight, and get more rest and sleep. Good health to everyone!
pheewww
i am 20 and it has been only 5 days i discovered that.i thought that i am in danger,after reading all your comments i am a bit relaxed and can have a sound sleep.
i was doing exercise and crunches and push-ups before 5 days it happened.
thank all of you,but i am going to see a doctor very soon.
It is amazing to read everyone's posts. They seem so similar to mine.
I also recently noticed a tender lump that seemed to have grown just below my sternum where my ribs join.
I thought I had something weird, but now I see I'm very much not alone.  

I'm 57 y/o and like most people posting, I recently lost quite a bit of weight, from an obese 102kg down to an overweight 83kg right now. I've been doing it through diet and exercise including dumbell work. I thought maybe I'd maybe torn something from working out. Strangely I also have a history of really bad acid reflux causing me a lot of discomfort (pain).  I also spend a lot of time slouched in front of a PC AND I tend to be insomniac. I also recently discovered I'm type II Diabetic - which is why I went about losing weight

I don't know if its linked in any way, but about 2 1/2 weeks ago I was admitted to a cardiac ward with a suspected heart attack. Most of the signs were there. Everyone, including me, was convinced I'd had a heart attack. Three days later after an angiogram and an ultrasound of my heart, they could find nothing wrong with my heart and I was booted out, feeling like a (still dizzy) fraud.  The cardiologist suggested I might have had an arterial spasm. It doesn't seem logical, but having read all the posts, I'm vaguely wondering if the enlarged XP might have pressed against something.
Right guys I found a very painfull lump in my 5th rib  its hard almost like bone I went to the doctors they sent me to the hospital which they gave me an X ray witch come back negative so then I want for an ultra sound this come back as swollen cartilage the hospital sent me to a specialist surgeon and now I am waiting for an operation to shave/file the none down but don't give up it took me 12months to get to this point hope this helped x    
I have most of the same things going on.  I have had CT scans and Xrays.  Today I had a ultra sound.  They tell me I have bronchiectasis.  Nobody has told me if the two are related.  Do any of you have a pulling, tugging sensation in that area?  That is how mine started.  No pain at all.  Now I have some pain, but not too bad.  It has been about a year.  I have not heard the word xiphoid till today when I asked the tech what that part of my body was called.  She also said it was not unusual to be able to feel the ridge when you touch the area.
Hahaha
if you are are having pain on the Right of the stomach that is nagging, you may want to have an Ultrasound done as x-rays will not pick this up.  This could possibly be indicative of GallBladder disease; which I have.  I do not have GallStones, but I have a dysfunctional gallbladder.  

I get those same symptoms to the right just under my ribcage as well.  It's mostly after eating a rather large meal; which I have been trying to avoid all the while.  

Hope that gives you some insight.  
i have the same symtoms (symptoms) but only flares up bad at nite time is anybody else the same... had lump about year and a half pain had gone while was pregnant on 4th child now he is 6 months and it is back with revenge but mainly at night dont feel it during the day feel silly going back the doc again with same problem
I'm wondering if you aren't feeling the gall bladder or, as mentioned, the ducts that would be part of the digestive process.

Try this: Mix a tablespoon of red vinegar and one tablespoon of honey in a full glass (8 oz) water. Warm if you wish; it makes a nice tea.

This mixture helps digestion and acid reflux, especially after a meaty or greasy meal. While some may protest that it seems counter-intuitive to add acid to an acidic problem, I understand that the chems of this solution is beneficial, not adversarial. The acidic stomach is the result of inefficient breakdown of food. Google search for the value that the daily vinegar soln gives. Make your own decision.
lol- I have the same lump as all of you describe. I have been freaking out. And yes, I have a history of anxiety.  thanks for your post.
hi i have a lump in the shape of a ball in the middle of my chest and the doc said its fine is cartilige but i also have a bad back and knee pains when i squat could this be connected?

I'm 52 and lost 20 LBS from diet and exercise.  I also started noticing my sternum seems to have a knot on it or something.  I also started freaking out like I had cancer or something.  I feel a little better after reading these posts.  I have a doctors appt on Tuesday so I will ask about it.  But I feel a little better now after reading everyones comments about something simular.  I will post my doctors comments here on Tuesday if anyone cares.

Thanks.
Hi, I'm 58 and male and I have the similar lump in the XP (sternum area).  BUT, I also have the same type and size of very painful lumps in other areas of my abdomen.  Also, they come and go.  I haven't read anyone mention this going on with them.  I have 4 to 5 lumps that suddenly appear under my skin and can vary in size from small pea to marble size.  They are all very painful.  Then they disappear in a day or two or three, only to reappear a week or so later.  Sometimes I can relate them to more stress.  Other times, it has been after I have gone to the doctor and he has pushed and kneaded, etc.  Usually, when my Dr.'''s appointment comes, the lump disappears.  Then when I get back home (after he had been pushing on my abdomen and chest) they will appear one at a time.  I've had them now for two years and it only started with one.  The first one was in the middle of my sternum.  Then a year later, when that one went from tiny pea to small marble, then another appeared on my right side.  Then another two on my abdomen.  It's weird how they come and go.  The doctors have taken images which show nothing.  They really bug me.  Recently I have gained alot of weight and now my tailbone really hurts. Just got some pain meds while the doctor wants me back in two weeks.  
I have the same story, 50 years old lost 20 lbs, lump in the center of my lower rib cage. I have a doc appt in the morning. Can't tell if it's really bothering more or if its sore from poking at it. Sounds just like all the posts on this site, let's hope that and nothing more!
After you see your Dr, can you get back on here and let us know what they say?  Mine has never gone away and several posts say its the xyphoid process? So I'm curious.
Hey XP - I just noticed my lump on Sunday morning (May 6) - and for the  record I never noticed it  before then.  I did change my diet and exercise habits drastically when I turned fifty on March 1st and I've dropped a dozen pounds. . I quit eating meat and dairy, sweets and processed sugar and alcohol as well.  I do take B12 supplements  and I also started doing 30 mins a day cardio on the elliptical and follow that up with a handful of pull ups. I sleep on my stomach as well.  I read through all the posts on this thread and it doesn't seem that it will just go away.  On the plus side. it doesn't seem to be that big of a problem or cause any pain from most unless you press on it. I'm of the mind set that it is a build up of cart-ledge from the heavy exercise combined with the small stomach that's led to it being more noticeable.  I am happy that I found this thread just a few days after finding the lump as I began to worry and after reading of how common it is, I have been able to lay my worries down and go on with life!
Did you ever find out what was going on with your lump? I have the same symptoms... lump, heartburn and pain in my back, but not always. My lump is just below my sternum and about the size of a walnut.
I would appreciate if you have any info.
Thanks!
Hi all,

I too had a small lump just below my sternum. I only 'discovered' it when I was about 41 (couple of years ago) and the doc said it was muscle and part of the xiphoid process, part of a structure holding the ribcage together.

Check this link out: http://cranquis.tumblr.com/post/2164385222/how-to-identify-your-xiphoid-process-so-you-can-stop

Hope that helps all,

K
I've read a lot of these comments before, as I had the same issue.  The other day put a hand-held vibrator on it and pressed for 20 minutes and 2 days later it was back to normal.  Also, some of the other symptoms have disappeared.
I've been dealing with this for years.
I have the same symptoms although I have to ad that when I swollow it feels like an air bubble that gets stuck right at the end of my sternum.
I also have a lump. Noticed this since I got my laptop, and no wonder! I've been lying on my stomach for hours every night as I surf away...
I would notice my pain starting 5 years ago when my 6 month old baby would crawl on me and put his little hand and the weight of his body into the area just below my sternum.  After all these years it has never really went away.  Even when I'm super protective of it, it seems to only get slightly better.  Now even if my cat walks on me while I'm laying down on the couch and puts his paw right there it hurts and even makes me a little nauseated for a second of two.  Ultrasound showed nothing, and I'm waiting on MRI results.

Anyone else have notice this problem after having little kiddo's always crawling all over you?  

42 yr old male.
anyone else with this problem having trouble with food getting stuck on the way down when they eat?
On one of the post a lady was talking about a  hiatal hernia. Said that it caused her husband to have heart attack like symptoms. Thats the only other thing Ive noticed in the posts besides the xp
27 Male, noticed knot under sternum 20 minutes ago. I have read several comments and I now feel comfortable in NOT spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars to have it looked at. I also have several other joint and bone issues: one including pectus carinatum. The bump/lump under the sternum is called the xiphoid process: it's trying to turn into bone or harden. Its common in teens and those of their 20s. Leave it alone. Don't worry.
: )