Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
painful big toe

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

painful big toe

Well, this morning as I was doing my morning rituals, suddenly my big toe began to hurt for no reason. At first I thought maybe I had stumped it and not remembered doing it or something. However, I thought long and hard and can not remember doing anything to it. Anyways, I tried to do some research on it, but still am not sure what is wrong. It is a consistent pain, but seems to become more painful if I prop it up in my recliner, and especially when I walk on it. My big toes are both slightly bent inward at the top joint, but they been that way since I can remember. I have also always had very flat feet. The pain is in the upper portion of my right big toe, and seems to be located throughout the upper joint. It also sometimes feels as if there is maybe an extra bone at the bottom of that joint as well, but I can not feel it with my hand, it just feels like I am stepping on a rock or something, inside that joint. To rap things up, I have also been walking more than I did before, as I am trying to loose some weight. Can anyone help me, or have any idea as to what could be causing this pain. I took some Tylenol and Advil this morning, but it did not fully kill the pain. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My mother had something similar and it turned out to be gout. Worth looking into.
Hope you feel better!

Swollen painful toe may be due to injury,bunion,stress fracture,arthritis,gout and pseudogout. Possibility of gout or pseudogout is high in you case. Pseudogout has many similarities to true gout, which also can cause arthritis. However, the crystal that incites the inflammation of gout is monosodium urate while those in case of pseudogout are calcium pyrophosphate.Diagnosis can only be confirmed after examination of the fluid under the polarizing microscope.

Other causes of swollen painful toe are bursitis(an inflammation of the fluid filled sacs that protect the toe joints), Arthritis-related enthesitis(Inflammation of the entheses due to arthritis. The enthuses is the site at which the tendon or ligament attaches to the bone),cellulitis(Inflammation of skin or subcutaneous tissues),lympadenitis(Lymphadenitis is swelling of lymph nodes due to inflammation) lupus and systemic diseases like kidney and heart failure.Pls discuss these options with your doctor.

Hope it helps.If you have any additional queries,then pls post us.
Take care and regards.

I agree it sounds like gout.

Get a big sack of Bing Cherries and eat them - those maroon cherries you can find in the produce department.  Gout is small crystals formed in the joint of your toe,  and there is something in Bing Cherries that dissolves the crystals.

Best wishes.
I went to my foot doc today and he tell me that i have a small bone growth that needs to be surgialy removed on my big toe and i cant not find any informatino on this matter has anyone ever herd of this and if so what is it called?