Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
petechiae

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

petechiae

A little over a year ago my son (almost age 2 at that time) developed a sudden onset of petechiae over his face and neck - concentrated mostly around his eyes.  The doctor we saw gave him an antibiotic and told me he had scarlet fever.  I didn't think this was the case and questioned the diagnosis the next time we were there for a check-up.  I asked the doctor we saw this time (multi-physician practice) about it and she said the previous doctor did not write scarlet fever on my son's chart.  He had written:  viral infection with petechiae.  Yet a third doctor saw this entry and at my son's 2-year-old check-up ordered a CBC which came back alright.  Recently my son (now almost age 3) developed a small amount of petechiae around one eye - he had a pretty nasty cold with a croupy cough as well.

My question is this:  should I still be concerned about the one major incident of petechiae and the fact that my son has now had a lesser case?  He is generally healthy, but has now experienced some nose bleeds since we moved to the southwest (from the northeast).  A physician here assured me the nose bleeds are common due to a drier climate and game me tips on preventing them.  Should I have my son's blood levels checked again?  It is such a terrible process for him so I don't want to put him through it if unnecessary.

Thank You for your help.
Tags: petechiae
Get him seen right away.  Bloody nose and petechiae don't sound like a good combo to me. Nose bleeds are a common thing.  When we moved from Hawaii to Las Vegas my husband started with the nose bleeds due to the dry climate.  However, his turned out to be something more serious (and he had a similar petechiae rash). I know how horrible it is for a child to get their blood drawn, but I would rather you be on the safe side than to wait and find out that it was something more serious.  MOST LIKELY it is nothing, but having him seen by a professional is the best thing.  I'm a nurse, and most of the time its nothing serious, but on the flip side, I've seen my share of "if only you had gotten here sooner".  Please, please have him seen by his pediatrician.
ITP is common in children 2-6, and often occurs afte viral infections, but the CBC would have came back abnormal for a platlets... don't know... best of luck to you.
from the symptoms it sounds like it could be whats called idiopathic thromboctyopenia purpura or ITP (I know, its a mouthfull). Usually in younger kids it clears up on its own within a few months (if that's what it is). Not overly serious (if this what the problem is), but it occasionally can cause bleeding in the brain which can be serious so you should have a doctor look into it.

I'm NOT a doctor, I'm just a pharmacy student and this is NOT a diagnosis, just an idea as to what could possibly be the problem. I DONT know for sure if that's the problem, you could run the idea past a physician though. I'd have him checked out.
I took my 2 year old daughter to the ER for possible sexual abuse.  We were told at the first hospital that she had petechiae on her neck & face that it seemed that the petechiae came from her violently crying, vomiting & coughing but the doctor could not verify that she had been abused..  We went to a second hospital ER to find out whether sexual abuse had occurred. The second hospital said that she had not been sexual abuse but that the petechiae had come from someone trying to strangle or smother her.  Does any one have any ideas on this.