rib pain
hi. i am a 33 year old fit and healthy female. about a week ago i noticed a pain in the right side of my ribs below the breast. pressing on the area of the pain does not hurt but pressing over to the left of that rib worsens the pain. laying flat is very painful, i have slept propped up for the last 2 nights. along with the pain is a weird bubbly feeling in that area. the pain is not constant. i can not work out what causes it to hurt other than laying down. yesterday i was in so much pain sitting in the car that the driver had to pull over. i felt dizzy also. i got out and walked for about a minute and the pain eased. i am quite concerned about this. can anyone tell me what it is??  thank you
The main cause of rib pain with sensitive skin is musculoskeletal pain due to costochondritis or Tietze's syndrome. It is a benign, painful, nonsuppurative localized swelling of the costosternal, sternoclavicular, or costochondral joints, most often involving the area of the second and third ribs

Other possibilities are fibromyalgia(musculoskeletal pain) ,lower rib pain syndromes(pain in the lower chest or upper abdomen, a tender spot on the costal margin, and reproduction of the pain by pressing on the spot),pain due to gall bladder or other GI pathologies and chest trauma and fracture of the ribs.

Treatment depends on the underlying cause and includes warm compresses,anti-inflammatory agents, muscle relaxants, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen, local steroid injections and other specific therapies.Pls consult an orthopedician for this.

Hope I have provided you with sufficient information. In case you need any more, then pls post us.
I have costochondritis which sounds similar to your symptoms.
Have you seen a doctor about this yet? Might be a good idea before it gets any worse.
I would be interested to hear the outcome so please post back !

Living With an Undiagnosed Illness
http://www.undiagnosedillness.org

i too had this. i thought that i could feel a lump also but it turned out to be hormone related. but the pain was when lying on my front, more rapid breaths and sore where the bra goes across breasts. i have been told that this is inflammation of the muscles between ribs or costochodritis. i also have upper back pain, inflammed back muscles and am very tired. my GP didn't really give me any advice, just that it should go away. but it's been a month and if anyone has advice of what to do that would be great. good luck.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.