Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
swollen ankles, legs and salty skin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

swollen ankles, legs and salty skin

Yesterday I came back from a cruise to the bahamas. Two days proir to that I noticed swelling in my ankles. The next day the welling was twice as bad. My whole body felt swollen.On the flight home it felt like my ankles were going to pop.  I will admit I am over weight and my age is 59.Three days after swimming in the ocean my lips, and skin still taste like the ocean. I didn't swallow and salt water. Can you give me any sugestions on what I should do?
Thank you very much.
     Swelling in the ankles could be caused by edema or injury. With the salty skin its very possible that edema is an issue. Sodium and fluid retention go hand in hand. I would suggest you see your doctor and discuss it with him.
I would also say that sodium could very well be the culprit.  The food on cruise ships and other vacation spots (as well as restaurants, etc.) can be especially heavy in sodium and if you're like me and many others that I know, we all tend to not drink as much water as we should while we're on vacation - the combination of extra salty foods and not enough water can definitely cause or at least add to, edema in the legs and other areas of the body.  I'm also thinking too much sodium because of you saying that you can still taste the salt on your lips and skin.

Try increasing your plain water intake, elevating your legs whenever possible (ideally they would be above the level of your heart, but just getting them up off teh ground so they are not "hanging down" when you're sitting will help)

If the swelling doesn't go down in a couple of days, or if you begin to experience anything such as dizziness, difficulty breathing, etc, then I would definitely suggest checking in with your doctor.  He/she may suggest a diuretic at least for a while to help you get rid of the excess fluid - however, it's IMPERATIVE that you do not add any type of medication, over the counter or otherwise, without first discussing it with your doctor.

My feet and legs tend to swell in the heat of the summer and also if I've been sitting with them not elevated for too long or if I've been on my feet for too long.  I sometimes sleep with them elevated on extra pillows (or you can purchase an actual "leg wedge" at places such as bed bath and beyond).  It does seem to help.  When I'm at home, I also sit in a recliner as opposed to a "regular" chair or couch and that does keep things at bay somewhat, but of course, I can't stick that recliner in my back pocket whenever I go somewhere else!  LOL

I hope you feel better soon - I can relate to how uncomfortable it is when your feet and legs are swollen - every step is like lugging a 50 pound weight with you!
it may be two different things happening either you were exposed to mush to the ocean water and absorbed salt and that tends to retain water-in your body the second option is that your body is salty probable to dehydration