swollen ankles and calves, with painful rash. Also cough
ne
Does anyone know could be the cause. Is it external, internal.

Painful, swollen lower legs and ankles, with rash. Also cough.  Applying ointment at first helps with the rash, then comes back.  Legs so swollen now cannot wear shoes
I am assuming that you are not a young person.  I am a podiatrist, but of course, cannot properly diagnose without examining a patient.  However, one possibility is that the veins in the legs are "bad."  The resulting excess swelling can cause the skin to become red or brownish, and may produce a rash. You also should consult with your primary care doctor just to make sure there is no underlying serious problem, such as heart disease or blood clots.  If it is established that you are retaining too much "water" in your body or your veins are bad, ask the doctor about wearing compression stockings, or at the very least, Ace wraps.  The wraps should be applied from the middle of the foot, and wrapped upward toward the leg.  Do not cover the toes with an Ace wrap. If you can get rid of the swelling through medication and/or a stocking or wrap, sometimes the skin color improves.  In any case, it is important that you see a doctor.
Forgot to mention:  The cough also could be part of, for instance, a heart issue.  Is it difficult to fall asleep unless you prop your head up with a few pillows?  See your doc.