Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
tenderness and sharp pains upper left of belly button :(

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

For the past week my stomach has been feeling a bit tender. Then this morning while I was at my first job, I was folding jeans and a pair of them fell of a shelf and brushed just above my belly button and sent this shocking, sharp pain through that spot. I rubbed it a bit until it went away, but it still felt more soar than it had throughout the week leading up to today. That was at about 11am this morning. Then at my other job, at about 5pm the pain showed up again when I brushed my hand against that same area (above the belly button and a little to the left). It felt like a very bad bruise and went away after I rubbed it for a while but shortly after it came back again on it's own while I was pumping fudge out of a fudge warmer and I immediately stopped what I was doing to wrap my arms around my abdominal area for a bit and rubbed it away. As the night went on it showed up more frequently and for longer periods of time. VERY sharp pain to the touch for the first few rubs and presses and then turning into a dull pain. Mainly, it feels like a very bad bruise, but I have poked and rubbed and looked as much as I can and there is no bump, no bite, no bruise, no dent... nothing. But it always stays in that same location just above my belly button. I ended up crying in the bathroom for a bit because it was annoying me and scaring me. I also have a panic disorder, so I want keep thinking the worst and it could be making the pain worse and more frequent now that I know there is something wrong in that area. I don't keep track of my menstrual cycle, but to the best of my knowledge it seems a bit late, but also seems to be starting, so maybe that is playing a part in it? but I have NEVER had this pain before. I tried to think of any explanation to keep calm, such as bloating, constipation, "am I drinking enough water?" "have I eaten anything strange lately?"  But I can't understand how those could play a roll. it feels like it's in the muscles because when I pinch me skin of the area when it's acting up it hurts. I want to go to the doctor, but my insurance doesn't cover me in this state and I cannot afford an ER visit or a co-pay at a dr office here at the moment. I would GREATLY appreciate any ideas of what it may be so I can bring up some questions and get any possible  tests done in one so I don't have to make too many expensive trips :). PLEASE & THANK YOU!

This discussion is related to Falling apart.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000256.htm   It really sounds like your appendix. I would go to the hospital right away.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Pain in umbilicus could be due to abdominal causes or due to a cause in the umbilicus itself. The common abdominal causes are appendicitis, IBS, Crohn’s disease, umbilical hernia, cystitis or due adhesions if there is a history of previous surgery. Causes within the umbilicus include a boil or a fistula or abscess. Endometriosis is another cause in females.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!
Well, I have ruled out any problem with my appendix because it's above my belly button and the pain is mainly focused on the left side. They thought I had appendicitis a little over a year ago, but it turned out to just be ovarian cysts, kidney cysts and a few kidney stones. This pretty much stays between my ribs and belly button. I've discovered if I wear an abdominal supporter the pain is greatly reduced (most of the time). A lot of people are telling me it sounds like a herniated diaphragm or possibly an ulcer. Although, I did an experiment last night and ate food that was somewhat spicy and it didn't really bother me. However, today the pain has remained a constant dull ache. I have a doctor's appointment for Thursday. He said since I am able to work fine with a brace I will probably be fine to wait until then, but to keep an eye on it. I have also looked up celiac disease, and a lot of the symtoms (symptoms) match, but gluten doesn't upset me. The most recent development in my symptoms it that the pain can sometimes become almost rainbow-like in it's placing. The worst pain stays upper left under the left ribs, but then it seems to stem out in an arch over the belly button and to the right... but the farther to the right it is, the duller it feels. My pelvic area has also been giving me some more problems than normal with this cycle. THAT pain started there a few weeks ago right after my last cycle and was mainly staying to the left side, but is now taking up the whole area... So I want to talk to the doctor about the possibility of Endometriosis on Thursday.