undiagnosed sternum fracture
i have been suffering from a extremely painful chest for 2.5 years which was previously diagnosed as chronic costeocondritus but today when i saw a specialist (for the 2nd time) i was x-rayed and it was found that i have actually got a fracture to my sternum and was told it will probably require surgery. my question is what is involved in this procedure and how long can i expect to heal? i have recently lost my job because of this and i need some answers so i can prepare to find a new job, any help would be appreciated
Hello

A sternum fracture will be treated by surgery,when there is a dislocation of the fragments ,when there is chronic pain with bad breathing ,or pseudarthrosis.After 2,5years,the surgeon must obviously break the sternum again,to bring all in the right position.Fixation is with wire or screws (very rare).It isn`t shure ,that pain is always disappearing.The convalecence time could be 1 to 3 month with muscle training.

With best regards

Stilicho
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
This is really strange. If this is a non healing old fracture, a large one, and the fractured pieces are unstable, then only you need surgery. If it is a new fracture and you do not have a history of injury, then stress or pathological fracture will need to be ruled out. Please discuss all this with an orthopedic specialist, take a second opinion and then only go for surgery. Most sternal fractures heal on their own. Take care!