Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
watery discharge during period...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

watery discharge during period...

...among other symptoms:

for the past year my periods have been ridiculously heavy, often bleeding through tampon, pad and clothing in under two hours.

i also have a watery discharge during my period. it is clear and odorless. even if there is very little blood on my tampon, it soaks through and leaks through my pad and clothing as well.

recently, i have been having less liquid blood and more clots, with a lot of the watery discharge. i have three solid days of going through both a tampon and pad within an hour.

i also have severe backache and cramping, and just generally feel ill, which i realize could be just normal period stuff.

however, over the last two years i have become increasingly aware of this awful stabbing pain that i get in my pelvic region. i will just be sitting down and it will come on so suddenly and harshly it makes me jump and cry out. the initial stabbing sensation is usualy brief, then a dull ache sometimes continues.

i've also struggled with constipation for about 6 years. i know lots of females do though. when i am able to relieve myself, it is diahrrea. i eat a TON of fiber and drink lots of water.

i'm 24, athletic, otherwise healthy, and eat organically.

here's the clincher:
i'm not sexually active, nor have i ever been.
doctors rarely believe me, and thus make getting real medical advice difficult.

Have they checked to see if you have a fibroid?   You might want to call your ob/gyn doctor.

How are you? Some of the causes of heavy bleeding in your case can be hormonal imbalance, polyps which are usually benign and arise from the uterine wall, and cervical infection. Infection can also cause discharge.
Please get yourself checked by an experienced gynecologist. Do keep us posted!

I can relate, but feel like no one understands.  I have been having some of the same symptoms for over a year myself.  My obgyn doesn't understand the watery discharge, having a D and C done to check for abnormal cells.  

I mostly have the water discharge, flooding, clotting, and constipation that's awful.  I too have normal like achy, ill feeling but that doesn’t really affect me as the other stuff.  I too eat tons of fiber (ground flax seed daily), I'm 37 and it started about 2 years ago.  I have had the stabbing feeling but mostly on my right side by my ovary.  I went through all kinds of test 2 yrs ago, colonoscopy, blood work etc... nothing comes back with any help of understanding.

Glad you posted...I've been feeling frustrated....

Sharing your pain and embarrassment
I have the same - for over a year. The discharge comes only on the 4th and 5th day of my period, soaking through tampons and sometimes clothes. It does have an odor (acrid) but is clear so my Dr. thinks it may be urine and referred me to a urologist. I have no infections, have never been pregnant, and just had a ultrasound that revealed normal kidneys and bladder.

I too have always had trouble with constipation. I'd love some ideas of how to stop this if anyone has resolved the issue.
I tried to post a comment earlier but it hasn't gone thru, so hopefully i'm not double-posting.  

I had that happen to me last week:  on day 2 of my period, three times that day I'd feel a gush and think "uh-oh, overflowed the tampon..."   Then I'd run to the ladies' room and yup, undies were soaked --- but with clear fluid!  I'd check the tampon & it would be maybe 1/4 full, with the still-white part soaked with the clear watery fluid.  And I was really dizzy, woozy, nauseous that day - at times I couldn't even walk straight.  

For the last several months I've been struggling against horrible fatigue/exhaustion, and have felt bloated and crampy all month.  I get my period about every 30-31 days, and it is short in duration but shockingly clot-filled.

So, I was concerned about fallopian tube cancer, and got right into the gyn.  Well, CA 125 is normal (11), blood tests & cultures all negative for any STD.  Pap's not back yet.  

They did an transvaginal ultrasound in the office yesterday:  fallopian tubes weren't visualized (the nurse said they normally aren't visible unless there's a problem with them, i.e., fluid, mass, etc.)  Endometrium was a bit thickened (7.16 mm early in cycle), and one ovary had either enlarged follicle or cyst, unclear on that.

So my gyn is done with testing.  After being asked point-blank what that fluid could've been, he just said, "I don't know,"  and we could pursue it further if it happens again.

Pretty frustrating.  I am optimisitc that the lack of other serious signs means not a bad thing, but, I'm hoping to get further tests to try to determine the cause for this bizarre thing.  

Anyone have any luck??
Hi. I suffer from the same clear discharge during my period. No odor so I'm not concerned but certainly bothered by it. I don't have any answers but do you think it might be extra stimulus from the tampon? It is a far fetched answer since it sometimes happens at night, but I can't think of anything else!!!
Oh my gosh I am so thankful that I found this site. I have the exact same problem with the watery discharge. It's been at least 6 months that it's been happening to me. All of a sudden I get a gush of fluid and it feels like my tampons full but when I go check it out there's hardly any blood but my panties are drenched. Even the other morning when I woke up and stood up to go to the bathroom it was running down my leg it was so much fluid. It has absolutely no odor it's the weirdest thing ever. I have to change my panties and even sometimes my pants 2-3 times a day, I might as well wear a pad as well as my tampon. I am going to the doctor to see if she can give me any ideas. Hopefully soon we can get some answers ladies!
h
I can't believed there's other people out there that suffers from similar symptome. I have been looking on the net for a few months to see if there could possibly be an explication and nothing. My doctor has no idea either. I have approx 30% blood and 70% watery dischage during my period. I change tampon every 2 hours which is soaked by clear oderless watery fluid.  I have left sided pelvic  pain,back pain difficuly voiding and migraine. I hope someone can possibly have an answer to this.
Oh goodness, I feel soooooooo much better!

I suffer through all of those symptoms except the constipation. Watery discharge, HUGE clots (the doc took one and it was longer than my hand when stretched! Gross, but...wow!) and I thought I was coming down with a cold cause I've been feelin sick and I sleep every 7 or 8 hours or so if possible. I do know that I have Polycystic Ovarian syndrome, but my doc says she's unsure as to whether or not that's the cause. I will definitely keep checkin back, PLEASE if anyone gets an answer let us know!

Oh, and is anyone else bleeding like a stuck pig? Ugh!
I have had the huge clots, leg/stomach/back cramps, severe fatigue, dizziness, nausea, and painfully sore breasts that go up a cup size. My right ovary area always gets really tender, occaisionally with shooting pain.I've had these symptoms for about 8 years. I'm only 30 and have had multiple ultrasounds and hormone levels checked. They did std testing. Doctors keep saying its normal, but blood clots the size of oreo's that look like liver are not normal.Cramps so bad they make you have diarrhea is not normal. Waking up 2-3X a night covered in blood is not normal. Now I have the new addition of the clear vaginal fluid leakage mystery! I am having trouble getting pregnant and have been referred to a fertility specialist. Has anyone else had trouble getting pregnant?
Bleeding like stuck pig! LOL!!! I just said that five minutes ago!

Thank god other people are experiencing the same things. Thought was the only one. I'm 37, child free and had been off BC for about a month after being on it for years. Had an unexplained hike inblood pressure so she took me off to make sure it is or isn't the pill. I've had the watery discharge for a while but nothing like what I had last night. Thought I wet the bed but it was only on my pajama bottoms and not on the bed. Not much of an odor but there is a little. I've sways had a little but nothing that made me change undies or jammies. Last night was so much! And it's still coming while ichange my tampon every two-three hours.
And I'm so with you on back pain! I feel like im going to snap in half at any minute. And I walk 1/2 mile to the trainthen another 1/2 mile to work. And I swear my back is trying to kill me.
Im so tired! Can't get enough sleep. And I go from being ravenous to not hungry at all. Neither ovary feels worse than the other. I know I want to get back on the pill to stop the heavy bleeding and broken back syndrome. High blood pressure or not I can't handle this. And if it's making this watery discharge worse then that's adding insult to injury.
I have to go back to my OB/GYN girl to check on the BP and ill ask about the discharge.  I hope she can give some answers. I'll keep you updated!
Yep.  I have several small and one huge submucosal fibroids that they are tracking via annual ultrasounds and I have the very same symptoms.  Super heavy bleeding, clots that should have a birth certificate and about 3-5 days of light to moderate watery discharge after a 7-10 day period.  The discharge is clear to slightly yellow, slightly sticky like maybe serous fluid, no odor.  I don't have the constipation but check on the left side pelvic and back pain intermittently throughout the cycle, that gets much stronger during the flow.  Add to this spotting between periods and very short 20 day cycle.  The doc didn't seem too concerned about the watery discharge which is new for me as well. (Over the past year or so.)

My GYN says hysterectomy is warranted because I am so anemic so I'm working to build my iron with supplementation to just get this over with.  We were both hoping that menopause would take care of things but I don't seem to be heading that way anytime soon though I'm over 50.  I get the sense that even good doctors are mystified by the reproductive organs and when something doesn't work as planned, the treatment options seem to be ignore, cope or yank it out.   Frustrating and I feel your pain ladies.
Hey how is everyone doing?  The gyn I was going to refused to follow this any further, so I had a new recommended.  She did any remaining cultures that previous gyn missed - normal.  so she's sending me for a histosonogram - pump some saline into my uterus & do an ultrasound.  She thinks the d/c may be due to a uterine polyp, and the saline helps them "stand up" if they're a little flattened.  

I plan to pursue this, as I'm in good health otherwise, and this is a symptom of a VERY rare cancer - fallopian tube cancer.  It's so rare - 3 women in a million will get it, but b/c it's such a distinctive symptom, I'm going to pursue this until 1) they positively rule out FTC, and/or 2) someone can tell me definitively what this is!

My histosonogram isn't until July 13, so, I'm going to keep tracking symptoms & keeping a diary.

Hope you all are well- any luck out there?
I also have this problem (age 31)-- watery discharge with my period and gushes of it!  Only recently have I noticed the watery discharge mid cyle -- or about 10 days before my period started.  My obgyn has no clue as to what the fluid might be.  I've been pretty exhausted lately and after a recent series of blood tests, was diagnosed as very anemic.  I don't know if the two are related -- possibly fibroids?  I've also been plagued with yeast infections for the last 5 or so years.  Any thoughts out there?
I have exactly the same thing with the watery discharge. I don't have the cramps or the constipation but have had the discharge for at least 5 years now and despite many tests at the docs they keep telling me its all normal. Aroudn 10 years ago I had an ovary and fallopian tube removed due to an ovarian cyst so I wondered if it was to do with that in some way however now I feel a bit better that perhaps its not. I am going to make another doctors appointment and print off some of this page so she knows I'm not mad! Keeps telling me to come back during my period so she can see it. I'm not sure I want to share it with anyone else, its not particularly nice. I'll post back once I've been again.
Hi guys...just getting started with this blog stuff.  But, I just started having this clear watery discharge too as of 3 months ago.  I am 35, no kids and i get it about 1 week before my cycle is suppose to start. My ob/gyn told me that it happens if during ovulation it releases more fluid than normal.  So, at the time your body is about to release menstruation, your cervic tend to release that fluid. (:-(...I do not like waking up in the middle of the nite thinking I've teed-teed in the bed when it has only wet my clothes.  Back pain is semi bareable, but i wish it will just go the hell away.  Not helping giving the fact that I am trying to concieve (conceive) and not a good time to start have female issues like this :-).  Thanks guys for sharing your stories...they somewhat put my mind at ease.  By the way, i have been tested for all std's, negative and says my  cervix and uterus looks normal.  Don't this stuff make you just want to YANK it all out?!..lol..lol..
I've been getting the exact same for perhaps the last 6 months. I'm 21, no children, as far as I know nothing is wrong. But yeah, I get the exact same sort of thing, usually when I wake up I think I've wet the bed, yet it's only ever on my undies and pjs. No odor, so it's not urine but occasionally has a vague smell but nothing particularly unpleasant. I tend to get pretty bad cramps and back pain that for the first day or 2 of my period has me doubled up at times. It's really starting to concern me a bit, but I really thought I was the only one so it's definitely reassuring to have found that I'm not!
I have the watery discarge as well.

My periods are semi normal, abit short. Around day 3 or 4, my last day of my period I have nothing but this watery discarge. I do not have any problems, or serious concerns. My periods are normal save for the discarge.

It has no real smell, and is in a heavy enough ammount that I warrent a tampon. Even with a tapon to control the discarg, I tend to overflow and gush a little.

I suspect, some of this is just extra fluid build up / water weight being released from bloating. During my period, I tend to urinate alot, as my body purges the extra water weight.  I usually gain and loose around 5 pounds each time my period comes and goes, due to the bloating.

I am not a doctor, but I figure that this discharge is one of the many ways my body sheds the water it retained.
This will be a shock to you,, but I've had this for a few years and I'm pre-meapausal. I have large blood clots and the water leaking though. you may be trying to go though menapause early. You need to see a female dr right away
Ok I have started having the same watery discharge the past few months off and on.  Went to restroom today at work and my underwear and jeans were wet. Tampon was only around a quarter full. I have really bad constipation and like another post eat tons of fiber and drink even more water. I have been pregnant twice but no children. Both were ectopic pregnancies. I just had a full work up at the doctor and my hormones were normal. Had the Histosopilogram and all was normal. Also have the terrible lower back pain. Clotting is minimal in my case but I do get some larger ones sometimes. I desperately want children. Hoping we all get some answers soon. Please post back if you find some definitive information.
i only have the watery discharge, no other symptoms, my periods are hassle free. it'd been happening but have had 2 children so it hasn't affected my fertility. so strange that no one knows what it is!
I have gone without a period for over 2 years and after being put onto birth control i started menstruating again. I have also have clear water fluid during my periods. It soaks through my super absorbancy tampons and through my clothes. There is no oder. I also have had trouble getting pregnant (we've been trying for 3 years). I am unsure of the cause of this leakage. I am in good health. I excercise, only eat organically and I am in my 20's. My doctor, however thinks that "its not a big deal".
My gyno told me that it was ovarian cysts that burst.  She said it would be better if I didn't have the cyst but since I do, having them burst and evacuate is better than having surgery to remove.  It is annoying and unfair but it's better than having cancer.

Good Luck ladies.
Im so relieved to hear that Im not the only one with this watery discharge! Although I wish someone knew why it was happening. I have the horrible periods, heavy, clotting, totally aniemic from it... Not I found out I have an enlarged uterous and yesterday they did a biopsy of the tissue inside. My moms mom died of uterine cancer when she was in her early thirties so Im very nervous
A related discussion, Watery discharge during period was started.
I'm so relieved too to hear that others are suffering with this watery discharge thing. I have been getting so down about it and was thinking I was the only person suffering with it until I found this forum. Mine is not normally during the period but at the end from the 6th day until 10th/11th day. As I already suffer with heavy periods, ie a super plus is filled in less than an hr at the heaviest point, normally when you get to the 6th day you are quite pleased that it is all over for another month. But then you are greeted with a nice discharge for another 4/5 days. Lovely...not.. and you wonder what the hell is going on. No foul odour to report but it is like other people have said it is slightly yellow sometimes. Sometimes I get some blood too and then from day 11 onwards until day 28 I can be a normal human being again. Oh if only we knew what was going on. I am also worried as I am 32 and I have just just started trying for a baby,I know worrying does not help but it is just all very frustrating. So glad to have found this forum and all of you ladies going through the same problems...
Hi everyone, I'm an 18 year old that is currently going through this same thing. I have incredibly heavy periods with blood clotting, and am also very anemic. I thought the clear fluid was something that occurred to everyone, and have been experiencing it for probably 2-3 years now. Honestly, my periods and the fluid is so heavy that I try to not leave the house.. as unhealthy as that may sound. But there have been instances where I have leaked through my panties and pants with the clear fluid and it has been incredibly embarrassing. I recently went to see a doctor about digestive issues and pain. I went in for blood work and urine testing, and the only area of concern was my iron levels, of course. I get my abdominal and pelvic ultrasound tomorrow.

I am only 18, so I am rather worried. I would hate to find out that I will not be able to have children when I'm older. I've always had heavy periods and have been anemic for as long as I can remember. Two years ago I actually had a period for 34 days, it would be incredibly heavy like normal for a few days, and then lighten for a few and continue switching back and forth. That was definitely scary, but was fixed with taking two birth control pills a day. I am no longer on birth control, but I'm thinking that I may start to lighten up my periods.
I am 36 , no children, and on my 18th birthday my period started and it lasted for 3 months solid,  with the heavy clots( i like to call mine leeches  and joke that i gave birth to a covey of leeches today, as thats what they look like). I have had this heavy of a period for 18 years and once for a solid year and then went almost that long without one, but that was many moons ago and now  i have to stay padded up all the time no rest for the weary.  I might go a few days without losing any blood,  recently I had two weeks rest,  it was nice.   just after that two weeks is  when i started my period and the gushing clear liquid discharge started.  I  am glad to find this forum as i too thought i was alone and was wondering how in the world to explain this to a dr.  I did go the dr when i was 18 and the most they could come up with was that i had lazy ovaries, of course after accusing me of having a miscarriage..  I had not had sex and still havent but the dr accused me of lying and i wonder why a miscarriage would last 3 months?  anyway i dont think she believed me  so i got no real answers.   I am a very large woman nearly 500 lbs and so no matter what i go to the dr with its always my weight, be it a cold or congestion or my period, its just the same they hand me a diet and send me home.  let me tell u that no diet is gonna get rid of an infection or severe congestion,  so i havent been back to the female dr in 18 years.  Just so u know it prob wont kill u but this damned spending an hour losing clot after clot after clot until im just worn out and weak,  then finally getting in the bed only to wake up in the morning in a pool of clear yet slightly sticky liguid  is laundry intensive and  very annoying to say the least.  

I do want to thank u all for posting and for the tests u have had done as it helps those of us with no options and no insurance  to know that we are not alone and  to know what might be the cause.  

good luck to u all and i hope some obgyn reads these things one day and can see theres a problem and can search for the cause!
I can't believe I found all of you. I am a 44 year old woman with one teen child. I have the watery discharge only during my period. It soaks through my clothes. I have painful stabbing cramps several days before my period starts. I haven't experienced any clots as of yet. I have been out of regular work for over 5 mos and though my daughter has insurance, I have none for myself so it's good to hear your findings when you have them. I wonder how doctors receive information about other patients experiencing the same problems as their patients and that it's gone undiagnosed. It would help if ladies can take in these messages to their own doctor so maybe there would be more investigation possibly?

Sending good thoughts to all of you.
You guys! I thought I was just a freak of nature. I'm soooo glad i found you all! I am 23 years old, extremely healthy would it not be for the period. I started when i was 11 and have been anemic ever since due to very irregular heavy periods. I was worried about the watery discharge because it happened to me for the first time a few weeks ago. I had just finished a period that went over 55 days, which, even for me was a long time. about a week later, i woke up at 4 am thinking i had bled all over my bed, but when i went to the bathroom my panties were filled with this clear odorless liquid. Since that weird awakening for the rest of the day i would have this liquid gush out along with a huge blood clot every hour on the hour. no pain, but this went on for 2 days, and after i went to my family doctor (i've never had an gyn) he sent me to the hospital for a blood transfusion because i was ridiculously low on blood as a whole, it was a wonder i was still walking. I had 2 liters of blood put in me. i was put on provera for 7 days to stop the bleeding, but after i finished taking the pill i started on my period again. this time "normal," no bizzare watery fluid. i am currently looking for a obygynee to see what this watery blood could have been, since i'd never had it before.

I feel you guys! Best of luck to you, hopefully the dr i find can tell me something useful to bring back to you.
I have this watery discharge too.  31.  No children.  It happens towards the end of my period and is the period of my period.

I wonder if all of you women are also capable of female ejaculation like I am?  It is still a mystery to doctors where the fluid comes from during female ejaculation and I wonder if it's linked to the watery discharge during our periods.
I am so glad i found this forum, i didnt know if i was all alone in this wetting, back pain, feeling sick madness!

I wish i could offer more of an answer, but this is what i got: I have PCOS and from the sound of it, a lot of you do too. I have been treating it by using bio identical progesterone cream and DIM supliments. Cysts, fibroids, infertility, heavy/messed up cycles are all product of low progesterone. It makes sence to me that the leekage or fluid is most likely comming from the ruptured cysts, but i was doing some internet searching just to see if it may be anything else. my hope is that as i continue with my treatments and heal my body, this will be another anoying part of it that will go away.

I have a blog dedicated to tracking my progress and shareing my story. If anyone is interested, you can find it at www.yourenotcrazyproject.blogspot.com
I am having the same problem and I am also one of the women who ejaculate (squirter) and I think they are related... clear watery fluid coming out of the same spot... I have a OBGYN appointment in 2 days and I hope they can figure out all of this. I am a 24 year old no children. I used to have the same thing happen to me when I was a teenager before I was on Depo for 6 years. The clotting, the clear fluid, the stabbing pain, the crazy heavy periods that seemed to never end and than when they put me on Depo the periods stopped so I had almost forgotten about how horrible my periods had been until they took me off of it last year and I had an Implanon inserted trying to make the periods stop again but this thing is not working and I don't know what to do... I kept thinking I was peeing out of the wrong hole but it doesn't smell...  Hopefully we can get this figured out!
Hi ladies,
Sorry to hear about your problems.If you are not trying to fall pregnant, try the Mirena IUCD. Good for all ages. It will dry up excessive bleeding and maybe the watery discharge. Also it will hardly affect your BP.  Also those ladies trying to fall pregnant ask your doctor to test your prolactin levels. If high, try Parlodel 2.5mg daily from day 3 to day 14. Your heart must be checked before and after the course each month.
Nelson40
I am 46 yrs old and going thru menopause and I have everyone of these syptoms (symptoms) too.. My heavy bleeding is from fibroids, did manage to get the doc to answer that one question, they go away on there own when you are totally thru with menopause, as for the watery discharge, I have to wear a pad everyday, its not urine so the only thing i can thank of is that my organs are pressing down on my ovaries and this causes the wetness,during sex its awefull Tooo wet to enjoy and my ph level in my vagina has changed because of this, I have been to the doctor to make sure i have no yeast infection  etc.., I have stabbing pain in my ovaries when i am about a week from starting my period, I get all the syptoms (symptoms) of being pregnant sore breast, hungry, bloating, swelling, sweating, feeling sick,..  Doc says this is all due to menopause...I want to be normal again
Hi Everyone.
The issue of clear fluid during menstruation is something I'm dealing with too. There are so many normal variances between people that it is probaby most likely a benign but inconvenient change that most physicians don't know about yet but let me share a few thoughts.

The medical research makes a couple things pretty clear:
1) all women have some form of vaginal discharge at some point, and it is normal most the time.
2) infections present as itchy, thick, sometimes foul odored, sometimes colored (yellow, green, white) thickened secretions.

Now that that's cleared up, let's discuss the large amounts of clear fluid.
1) The cervix and glands of the vagina produce a variety of secretions. The discharge produced from the cervix and vagina are largely in response to hormones and stimuli (including pregnancy and conditions that mimic it).
2)The cervix will produce fluid if there is a foreign object left in the vagina. This is an established phenomenon with respect to women who have "forgotten" to remove a tampon, young girls who insert foreign objects into the vagina and so on.

The following is my Opinion, do whatever you want with it.
1) You do need to go to the doctor. Expect them to dance around the issue, dismiss it as urine, be unresponsive and possibly even admit they "don't know"...which is better than saying you are sick, stupid or crazy.
2) Now that you are prepared to a helpless doctor, take control! Order them to order the following:
- a pap smear
- a transvaginal ultrasound. Additional studies, including colonoscopy, CT and urological testing (bladder, etc) may be needed.
- a swab culture of the discharge and blood cultures
- any exam/study necessary to visualize the uterine wall, ovaries, Fallopian tubes, urothelium (the bladder wall, which happens to be really close to the reproductive organs and can be inflamed, etc and mimic other symptoms-it must be ruled out. It is also called the transitional epithelium), and surrounding anatomy should be considered (mesentary lymph nodes, the colon, etc).
- if you have a history of ovarian cysts (a common occurrence in most menstruating women, by the way), hysterectomy, polyps, migraine,PCOS, colon polyps/diverticulosis/diverticulitis/any other colon or medical disorder - make sure to get a thorough reassessment of all these conditions, not just a cursory exam or dismissal.
- have the following blood tests: the CA125, C-Reactive Blood Protein, Hormone test levels for estrogen/progesterone/androgens/prolactin, etc; SED rate (an indication of inflammation/infection); and a full blood profile (CBC w/ differential). Demand them if your doctor is resistant. Surrounding lymph tissue/nodes also require examination, especially the mesentary lymph nodes which are in a web of tissues that communicates fluids near the colon, reproductive organs, bladder, etc.
- Your doctor works *for* you ladies;the doctor is your employee. Since they treat healthcare like a business, and they sure aren't doing it for charity, you need to be a demanding (but polite and personable), an informed and involved customer. I know, it is wrong and backwards but hey, this IS America isn't it? Justice will prevail, the free market will fix your menstrual watery discharge if you require it to do so (ok, I jest but you knowwhatimean, no?)
- I really think the majority of cases will be related to hormone fluctuations and imbalances in some way, shape or form. Signs of hormone imbalances are varied, but include the following: uneven skin pigmentation esp on the face(melasma), facial hair, hot flashes, sweats, heart palpitations not caused by other issues, liver dysfuction (actually can cause hormone imbalance), dizzyness, night sweats, nausea, fainting, migraine, weight changes, fluid retention, etc.
 This is a FACT: all animal products are full of hormones and steroids to increase weight and production-milk, cheese and dairy products are most concentrated. Chickens, pigs, cows are chock full of naturally occurring and pharmaceutically induced hormones. Even organic meat, pork, poultry, eggs and dairy have hormones (animals have natuarally occurring hormones too). If you are having symptoms, they may become worse when you are eating these products. Avoid! And by the way, phytohormones from plants like soy and yams *pale in comparison* to animal products but still may cause problems in people with higher hormone levels, be aware of that.
- plastics can mimic hormones and cause imbalances. Limit your exposure to them and pesticides, which also act like hormones. Never microwave food in plastic or plastic wrap! Learn more about this, info is easy to find. You may not want to believe it, but it is true. Find a reputable source for accurate info.  
-If you have PCOS or similar issues, you need to be aware of diet, which plays in important role in these disorders-diet even can cause them, so it can also cure.
-If you accumulate extra fluid during menstruation, almost all of your body is affected (heart, lymph system, etc)... It wouldn't be impossible to see an increase in these fluids in the menses but the tests/exam/studies are needed to make sure.
- since most women on the board are either over 35 or taking hormones (including oral contraceptives), I will add this comment. There are hormonal changes and fluctuations associated with each of these, so be sure to get a blood panel that tests your hormone levels. 
-get blood tests, other studies done when you have symptoms. Your time is valuable, not to mention your money and health. Some issues have to be "caught in the act" so to speak. The body is amazing. Otherwise you run the risk of being dismissed *with* the "proof" that you are a-ok.
-be sure to watch your body temperature during these events. If you have even a low-grade fever of 99.1 degrees, write it down and take your temp often. Track your body temp. If you feel sweaty, dizzy or your heart pounds-take your temp. Watch for a temp cycle, with fever increasing around 5-8pm and then at night. Watch for night sweats. These are signs of infection/inflammation/polyps - not STD - but infection / inflammation possibly originating in the reproductive organs, colon, etc. Night sweats or hot flashes can also be a sign of hormonal fluctuations. Note if bowel movements are more painful during/around menstruation. Note which side, if any, hurts worse during bowel movements.
-Many have said that their pain is on the left side, as is mine.  The sigmoid colon is in the very lower left side (it terminates kinda close to the left ovary) and sigmoid colon problems can mimic ovarian pain and vice versa. Don't ignore it. Props to all who noted constipation and bowel habits - they are important. Learn the location of the transverse colon, ileum, cecum, duodenum and mesentary lymph nodes to see if your pain, symptoms or cramping could be related.
- take all this info to your doctor and be patient but persistant. If you are worried about the expense, I can relate BUT if a preventable condition advances, it will require even more expensive medical treatment and will cost you more than just money. Chronic, untreated conditions can reduce life expectancy and affect your ability to work. Use good judgement. Don't be an alarmist but if your discharge is accompanied by other symptoms of significance, get medical attention and answers. Don't live to regret ignoring that "little voice" of reason.

When I find out what causes mine, I will share.  I'm 37, not on birth control but have had some hormonal fluctuations and do retain water during my menstrual cycle (I also retain water from sodium, I'm very sensitive to it). 
Wishing you all good health!
And one more thing - the "vesico-uterine pouch" may be involved. It doesn't seem to be well understood but it should be considered.

Avoid doctors who are eager to operate, perform invasive procedures or hysterectomies for problems they don't understand, issues they can't completely explain or to treat symptoms. Invasive actions usually cause more problems than they solve. Focus on the cause(s) of the symptoms, not drugs or whatever that just mask the inconvenient or uncomfortable symptoms.  You want a problem to be fixed, not
painted-over like a mark on a wall. If your doctor focuses on treating symptoms, or doesn't understand your goals, find a different provider. A good doctor charges the same as a bad one.  
This is very imprudent advice focused on only treating symptoms with Iittle regard for individual assessment. Many women have contraindications for IUCDs, which are not issue free. They can cause scarring, infertility, and infection. Not good for many women, couring those with heart murmurs or increased infection risk. Considering that the fluid could be a sign of inflammation, an intra-uterine device wouldn't be a good idea for many.

To suggest a pharmaceutical solution that doesn't treat the actual problem, has significant side effects and needs ongoing monitoring to avoid dangerous complications is both an unneccesary expense and has the potential to complicate issues, adding problems on top of problems.

I am not at all opposed to interventions, treatments or pharmaceuticals - even if they just relieve discomfort - but they should not be used willy-nilly. Patients have a right to a solution, not "let's try this and see what happens, hopefully it won't cause you even more problems, let's all cross our fingers" from their physicians.  

Also, it is worth noting that the medical-device industry and pharmaceutical industry have infiltrated all aspects of medicine including med-boards. There's no such thing as "unbiased" information and patients should be able to clearly delineate and differentiate between these outside interests vis-a-vis "an unbiased medical opinion" (or whatever is the closest thing to a doctor who protects the interests of their patients first and foremost).  
I find that doctors are quick to accuse and disbelieve things they don't understand. If anyone does this to you in the future, you could point that out to them. This is especially upsetting to hear considering you were paying for their help, had no reason to lie and asked them to help you.  They should at least me honest if they don't know rather than lie/accuse/etc.

So you may be aware that women who are too thin don have a period. Did you know that many overweight women also have no period or irregular periods? The reason why is that estrogen is a component of adipose (fatty) tissue. The more adipose means more estrogen. If there's an excess of estrogen, the body can bleed excessively or be fooled into thinking it is pregnant. A hormone called "prolactin", which normally rises during breast feeding and stops ovulation/menstruation, can also rise because of a disturbance in the chest wall, as a consequence of hormonal fluctuations or imbalances or for reasons unknown.

It is not really fair to simply dismiss your bleeding irregularities to your weight. It is more complicated than just that, but there is a relationship between adipose and hormone levels. It is the hormones that are the key on this one. Also, different foods contain naturally occurring hormones. You said that you stopped bleedig for two weeks? What was your diet like then? Were you eating more yams or soy, which contain phytohormones? Were you taking vitamin D, Calcium glucarate or other vitamins that have pro-hormone activity (they are preursors to hormone creation)? Were you eating different types of meats, dairy or were there any other dietary changes? Were you under more stress?

There are so many factors, maybe an endocrinologist could help (not one that deals with diabetes , unless you are diabetic or have a pre-diabetic condition called metabolic syndrome). Not all physicians are horrible. They're human, which isn't always a great thing.  Hang in there.    
I am having the same thing happen to me but its during my period but its not a thick discharge and I'm only spotting as well, I don't know what's wrong, and I have been using the nuvaring.
I am breastfeeding.  It seems like sometimes I miss my period, but have the watery discharge instead.  I am sure it is related to my infertility during breastfeeding, and possibly my anemia that comes with it.   Overexerting myself usually causes me to have my period/ovulation.  When I am in poor health and nutritional state, I tend to miss my period and have the fluid.

Maybe it is my "unperiod".  What my body does to eliminate fluid when I will not have a normal period.  The fluid, but not the blood.

To my knowledge, I have no cysts or fibroid or cancers or stds.  I will track it and see if it is always during a period phase of my cycle.

By the way, I am just guessing here of what is going on.
Hi again. I posted a while back about a one instance abnormal watery discharge accompanied by super heavy bleeding, just sharing what my doc evaluated:

So I went to the doc, had some blood tests done and an ultrasound- she said my uterine lining was thicker than normal and i had cysts on my ovaries. my blood test showed a hormonal imbalance- LH and FSH levels were inverted (i don't know what that means, but she said it made sense with my having such an irregular period). I was given birth control pills, Loestrin 24 Fe, to take for 3 mnths then go back for followup... i'm supposed to start when my period starts. I'm still waiting for it. My last period ended April 6th...   but for a heavy bleeder like me, i kinda like the break

LH is luteinizing hormone; FSH is follicle stimulating hormone
Hi, thanks for your very intelligent input on this/these topics.  I am very worried about my symptoms.  I have never really had any female problems in the past to speak of, other than UTI's.  Lately I have been having sharp pains on my left hand side pelvis area for several months now.  Random pains that happen pretty much anytime of the month and last for only a few seconds, but leave behind a dull ache. Sometimes I can go through weeks without having them and then they're back.  My periods have been normal.  End of January, approx a week or two before my period I suddenly felt wet fluid between my legs.  I was in a public place and it was quite embarrasing.  It was clear, odorless fluid and enough to wet my panties and cause a big wet spot on my pants.  That has never happened to me before and has not happened since thankfully.
In February the sharp pains started happening again after being MIA for a couple of months, but this time I felt dizzy and nauseous and even thought that I may be pregnant, which I wasn't.
March and April was really uneventful, very little occurence of sharp pains on the left hand side, however this month (June) the pains are back again and worse.  Not only that but I have a greenish vaginal discharge.  I went to the doctor today and she did an vaginal examination, pap smear and all that.  She said she saw the greenish discharge which indicates some sort of infection, but will have to wait for the results.  I am going to see another doctor in 2 days and will prompt him to get blood tests and ultrasound done as I'm worried I have an ovarian cyst, however the greenish discharge throws me off and makes me worried that my partner has given me an STD.  I wonder if it's possible that the potential ovarian cyst is infected and therefore causing the greenish discharge, instead of me having say a PID caused from an STD...  I also wonder if perhaps this potential ovarian cyst that I may or may not have, perhaps ruptured in January which caused the leakage of clear fluid.  Something is definately not right, this I know for sure!
Im late on my period, but ive been having the watery discharge without any period blood. So when ive checked thinking "oh god ive started" I haven't. I also have had the back ache, cramps and alittle nausea. Im going to the doctors today for something else but im not sure if i should ask about this. Im only 16 so im kind of scared.
I have these symptoms too. I don't use tampons, I've had this for years and am based in the uk. Saw my obgyn and had a laparoscopy 4 years ago and pinned down all my symptoms including watery periods clotting, passing tissue, cramping, bloating out until I look pregnant, stabbing shooting pains at any time of the month, nausea, dizziness, weakness and anemia and it has all pointed to the condition Endometriosis.  Look it up ladies, there are hundreds of groups online and millions of women like us have the same problems, no cure or real treatments as of yet other than pain management and hormone treatment I'm afraid. X
Like all of you I get a watery discharge during my period.  Typically this can happen on day 3 or 4.  However, unlike most of you I do not have heavy periods.  In fact, this month my period is was pretty light - normal to light on days 1,2,3 and light spotting on days 4 on.  I am severe anemic,6.8 hemoglobin.  Could this be the reason for the "watery" fluid?

Just curious ... How many of you are anemic?
Hi, I want to thank you for taking the time to explain so much, and with so much detail, regarding this issue.  I really appreciate your knowledge and suggestions.  

I had written about a year ago - I'm 39, no kids, and at the time I wrote was about 40 pounds overweight (now I'm about 20 pounds overweight).  It was May 2009, day 2 of period, felt a gush and thought I'd overflown a tampon -- but when I went to the ladies' room, found clear liquid soaking my undies instead, and a tampon that was 1/2 filled with blood, and 1/2 seemed to be soaked with clear liquid.  

Since then, I had several diagnostic tests - ultrasound revealing slightly thickened endometrium, but no fibroids, no PCOS; MRI with contrast was normal (although it didn't show my fallopian tubes, which is my worst-case, far-fetched worry); histosonogram actually wasn't completed - the doc couldn't get the needle past my cervix to get the fluid into my uterus.  He thought the reason for that was a nabothian cyst, but I'm skeptical about that one.  

I moved out-of-state after that, and didn't do the one thing left, which was hormone testing -- which is what I suspect might be the issue.  I have since lost more than 20 lbs, and the difference in my overall health is startling.  I do still get the fluid, although the amount is variable from period to period.  Sometimes barely noticeable, sometimes a lot.  

I am also wondering what, if any, medications others with this issue are taking?  Right before this clear fluid thing started, I began a very low dose of Focalin for adult adhd (it's an extended-release Ritalin (stimulant)), and I also take Zoloft 100 mg every day, but that's it for any type of medication.  Since I've been on the Focalin - actually now it's been switched to low-dose Vyvanse (20 mg) - I've found I sweat more and my face has broken out intermittently, also leading me to wonder about hormones.

Those are my thoughts on this early morning - hopefully they are coherent!  I'm grateful so many people have written in -- I'm hopeful that we will find out what this is, and rule out any possible malignant types of things.

Cheers!
I am so glad that there are intellegent capable people in the world who are willing to share their knowledge. Searching for answers to this question most often results in unhelpful and sometimes even dangerous advice. Your advice was extremely intellegent, thorough and unassuming. I cannot thank you enough.

May the gods smile upon you always! :)
I've just started to go through this this myself today is my 2nd day and all of a sudden I felt this gush of clear liquid, not to mention I have been late several times this year and I'm sexually active with my boyfriend of 5 years and this is the first time this has happen to me since we've been together, the first time I was late back in May 2010-June 2010 I thought I was pregnant but now all of this came on just within this month!

I don't have no questions I figure it's probably something normal that the body goes through I mean if all you ladies have this same problem then 9 out of 10 it seems to be normal!

Am I right?
I've had watery discharge same as many here for months and no one knows what I am talking about (female confidants, doctors), I can't believe I've found that so many others experience this. I have polycystic ovaries without probably the full syndrome PCOS. This discharge is throughout my period and never at other times (and my periods have become lighter more or less at same time but not exactly so, in fact the wateriness used to be only on last days of sometimes heavy period but now it precurses it sometimes). I don't have any spotting and never have had, but as many say, there is often more water than blood. I do now have other complication and am waiting for biopsy of uterine lining to see what is going on. I'm interested in how fluid from a burst cyst will consistenly find its way out, so to speak. Most importantly, ovarian cysts are supposed to burst at ovulation (leaving the empty egg sac called corpus luteum which produces progesterone) therefore what is this talk of cycts bursting at a time of lower oestrogen - any Gyno's know?
This is the first day it has happened to me and looked it up via google and found you lot! Many thanks for all the posts as I also felt like a freak. I also ejaculate water (?) during sex sometimes (which has made me so embarrased I have not dated for 2 years) so maybe it is related.. Thanks for all who post and all who support x x
I too have been suffering from watery periods with monster clots. I am 28 and have PCOS. I have been hospitalised twice with burst ovarian cysts.

I get a period every 3mths roughly. When it finally arrives it's like somone has turned a tap on. I get so bloated that I look pregnant, my breasts swell to the point that even clothing hurts them. I suffer with dioreah on the 1st day of my period (although if I'm quick enough to take a diareah tablet when I first come on this can ease a little). My mum suffers with fibroids and my grandma had womb cancer.

I sometimes wonder if I should have everything taken away.  I get so fed up. It's reassuring to know that I'm not a freak!

Men don't know their born. Lol x
i wrote the original post. can't believe there are so many other women with the same struggles and no answers!!

well, two-and-a-half years later, i still have ALL the same symptoms and have not been helped by a Dr.

I'm saving my pennies to go to a naturopathic doctor, as they are much more sensitive and intuitive to things that regular dr's "don't understand'

anyone else tried natural therapies?
I started having a watery discharge all day, every day.  It's like water and has no odor.  Obgyn had tested me for every STD.  No infection, everything normal.  I've been tested for fistulas.  No fistulas.  I had a complete hysterectomy due to lots of fibroids.  They took out everything.  All I have left is my vagina.  The day after surgery, it started up again.  Obgyn was stumped.  Had been going to specialists, but gave up and went to a primary care doctor that I really liked.  He said it's all hormonal.  Gave me a estrogen/testosterone shot.  Put me on proestrogen.  It seems to be subsiding a little bit.  He said it may take a month for it to stop.  I'm praying he is right.  I'm too young to live this way.  
I have been having the same problem as all others here for about a year.  Heavy flood of clear, odorless, waterlike fluid that soaks a tampon and leaves me wet.  Usually only around time of my period but more frequent lately.  I have had sonograms, uterine biopsy, d&c, ct scan and fallopian tubes removed and still having the same problem.  Next step ob/gyn has mentioned is removing the uterus.  Curious if anyone other than SummerinDallas has had uterus removed and still having the flooding problem... I have very light periods, but they come like clockwork which is why my ob/gyn doesnt seem to think it is hormone related.  I'm frustrated like the rest of you, just hoping to find some answers soon.  
I have had this problem now for the past few months,to the point I went to the ER for blood/fluid loss,as I was tired,soaking through clothes,passing clots that were so huge I was grossed out(like a gelotinous blob a quarter cup big!),heck I even splashed on the floor running to the bathroom like water breaking,finally saying this is rediculous.My bathroom looked a crime scene more times than I care to count and I have lost a 100 pounds.which was helping over the years with those awful stay in flood days.like before. I am 48 had 4 kids vaginally,sexually active,dating.
I felt like a prisoner for a month I was trapped in the house with Holidays coming. I needed an answer. I was internally ultrasounded,and they found Nothing,thank goodness,no growths,tumors etc. My uterine lining was normal. I was given pills(Aygestin) and told they were to "reset" my body and so far so good!

I was also warned a hysterectomy might be needed if this continued,but I really want to avoid surgery at all costs. I just want my life to be livable,and be able to function. I had to carry an entire bag of tampons/pads and run in the bathroom and check Everywhere I went and left, I changed,to make sure nothing embarrasing occured. The liquid had no profound odor,was just excessive and of course my periods were just one constant thing for two months straight at this point!

The medication I have given is used for Endrometreosis and  Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding was Aygestin  or Norethindrone(generic) 5 mg 1 tablet daily for ten days. I went to Walmart which cost me 32 dollars,by far they outbeat Everywhere on prescriptions.I save over a hundred a month there! This medication is for Progestin,which as shared before is Endo,a disorder of the lining of the uterus.
Many have said they thought possibly a burst ovarian cyst,but the Dr. told me that would usually be much more painful and not eliminate by was of vagina as a rush of liquid. Clots are your body bleeding believe it or not too fast,Not blood neccesarily pooling and coagulating,hense why there is often dizziness. Iron should be upped, I am currently taking 27 mg tablets two of them three times a day and I did not need plasma,but am still a bit anemic as a result of how much and how long I bled this way.

I am to still following  this up with a pap smear for STDs,cervical cancer or the virus. I want as well, adrenal and thyroid checked for tiredness all the time. Best of luck to all you ladies,I am with you on this,as it's been awful. I am not cured but I have a hopefulness I hadn't before. Any new findings.please add. I took an hour to add mine. Hoping bewtween Us All reading we can find a way to be healthy and happier gals. Deb xo
I have the same symptoms: clotting, watery discharge, constipation. Am 37 and have never been pregnant. Fibroid cysts run in my family. I feel as though the clots are forming because the blood is being blocked from exiting. The water discharge may be my body trying to "wash" something from me, help me expel. Just a feeling.
That sounds exactly like what I've been going through for the past year and for me it turned out to be an ovarian cyst (diagnosed by ultrasound last week). From my understanding, the cyst swells up (causing the aching and stabbing pains) and it can block parts of your normal digestive system causing you to get backed up or constipated. Eventutually you are too full and the food has nowhere to go so you HAVE to go to the bathroom and your stomach is cramping so hard that it pushes everything through too fast causing diarrhea. For me, after the diarrhea episode is when the cyst hurts the worst, usually for a week or so afterwards. It is so miserable! Getting a diagnosis is key because it enables you and your doctor to find a solution to get rid of the problem and then the symptoms themselves will subside.

Good luck!
I have had the same exact problems I went to the doctor she started me on provera which is a hormone treatment or something it was only for 10 days when I went back to her she told me that all my blood work had come back normal and there was no way I could be having the problems I said I was having because the blood work came back normal She actually accused me of lying, now I find this site and find I am not alone. I will not be returning to that doctor as long as I can help it.
Hello Ladies - Like many of you have confirmed already, many of us are experiencing this - me included.  I am 41 and the past few months, my periods have very very heavy with minor low back ache.  This month however, it started light for a few days, then the back ache started, MUCH worse this time.  The pain was in the right side, right behind where the dimple is where the back and butt meet.  Also in my right ovary area.  A co-worker said I was ovulating, but that didn't make sense with the timing of the period.  I was thinking maybe I had a kidney infection because I also felt achy and sickly.  At the same time, my period got heavier than its ever been in my life.  Then today I experienced the clear watery discharge.  My pants were wet to my thighs and this happened while I was sitting at my desk working.  It was slow, not sudden because I didn't even realize it had happened until I got up and noticed my pants all wet.  I panicked at first thinking I had bled everywhere, but was relieved when it wasn't that.  Very strange.  From reading previous posts, seems like most of us are still in the dark about what it is.  I will say I have had ovarian cysts in the past.  So there might be something to what that gyn said about them bursting and evacuating on their own.  I will try to find info in the other forum that was mentioned too.  Hope we all find out what this is for sure very soon!
I have watery discharge before and mostly during period. Have had horrible internal examination - nothing found/all correct. Gynaecologist now suggests that there are different cell types in the uterus. some of them make clear liquid only - mucus producing cells. She said, if these over-proliferate then that may cause watery discharge. it doesn't explain the uncomfortable smell though. This still seems to be a very very little understood condition to me. I don't particulary trust that the Gynae was citing a known condition? it seemed to be her personal supposition. UK
Ladies, please look up a condition called Leukorrhea, caused by estrogen depletion, candida, bacteria, etc. I am positive this is probably what the majority if not all of you are referring to and there are some decent ways to control the symptoms.
"Leukorrhea is a medical term that denotes a thick, whitish or yellowish vaginal discharge...,this discharge can keep reoccuring for years in which case it becomes more yellow and foul-smelling..."

I doubt leukorrhea is the cause. What we are discussing is a clear, thin, odorless fluid that usually accompanies our menstrual cycle.

I was leaning in the same direction as idotoo, in that it may be related to what produces female ejaculate (which is also a clear, thin, odorless fluid). This especially since many woman said that their tampons would be mainly dry while their panties would be soaked, and the area it comes from is not very far inside the vaginal canal. Perhaps since the fluid is not being released on it's own then it gets built up and releases during certain hormone fluctuations during our cycles?

I don't know and am only speculating. I will still be making an appointment with my gyno to discuss it. I have been wearing just pads for several months, am 31, 2 kids, sexually active, and have noticed my periods becoming quite a bit heavier in the last 1-2 years. I had associated it with crossing that 30 year mark, but with such divergent ages in the women posting I am reconsidering that hypothesis.

The watery discharge with it began this cycle (although in retrospect it may have occurred once or twice before, I just dismissed it at the time). It is similar to what some others have said- I feel a gush and when I check, my pad is FULL of that fluid. That's happened thrice in the past 24 hours.

As for any other symptoms, I had a small, tender, painful lump in one breast (possibly a lymph node?) that lasted several months but finally went away several weeks ago. I have also gotten hairier in the past couple of years which I had attributed to age and genetics. So...possibly hormone related?
Hey, i have been on my period now for 3 weeks and i think this is due to the implant ive had, i go months when im on a period. Although this is not a normal period it seems to be clots of blood rather than a normal period. And then after a couple of months i can go 2-3 moths with out having a period. Then after this ANOTHER period just like the last one. But recently ive also started to have a flush of a watery fluid which feels like its blood but when i go to the toilet my pad is soaked with a water fluid in which i have no control over overflowing my pad and wetting my clothing. I'm only 17 and im a bit concious as whether to address this with my doctor of if its just nothing? recently been suffering from really bad migraines.
HELP?!
Im on my way to the doctor right now for the same issues.  when they last check, I had 3 very small Fribroid, now im experiencing severe cramps in spasms and feeling of nausea.  The upper part of my tummy is so bloated and it feels like something is moving around in there at times.
I have had these symptoms since I was 12 years old.I am now 22 and it never fails. I have just learned to change my underwear and wear dark pants so no one can tell. I only wear pads. I have one child, but my cycles have been like this since before i was sexullay active. I have no stds. But I will say I get very bad cramps, feelings of anger, gain about 5 pounds,I over eat and  over sleep for about 10 days before my period. Its so bad that people who know me always think im pregnant or just cant stay out of the bed. I don't know whats wrong with me but I'm glad to see other women go through it. For the longest I thought it was normal, and then I thought i was peeing on myself, but it does not smell or look like pee. I just don't know.
hey.
thank goodness i found you all!
i'm on day 2 of my period and it's been so heavy i started to freak out, then the clear fluid started and i really did get worried. i also have the back pain {though i didnt connect it at first as i have been working at festivals catering and just assumed i had lifted something wrong}, clotting and dizziness.
so noone knows what this is? is it worth going and being poked by a doc or are they just going to tell me they have no clue?
I am so happy I found all of you. I am 50 years old and been perimenopause for several years.  I have felt so bad. For days I have been having a watery discharge. I have to wear a pad everyday. I had my normal period and it was like about 7 days and it was terrible and now I have this watery discharge. Sometimes it comes out in little spirts. I will think I started my period but it is just that clear odorless, watery discharge. Hopefully we can find out what is causing this watery discharge...Good luck to all of you ladies....
I can't believe so many women have this problem. I experienced this today for the first time. I had a terrible period las Jan. Full of clots and soaking thru double protection. Then two weeks later in Feb, I started spotting. I did this for 18 days straight. Then I started bleeding like never before. I was tired, out of breath, headachy, dizzy the whole bit. I bleed for 20 days like that. Im new to this area so I had to try to find a doc and it didn't seem like anyone cared that I felt like I was bleeding to death. I bought some iron tablets on my own and started drinking Raw Apple Cider Vinegar and a day or two later I noticed my bleeding became much less, like it was tapering off and it smelled just like Apple Cider Vinegar!  Anyway, by this time I went to the doc who was very nice and understanding. She did a pap.  The resukts came back normal, thank God.  In the meantime, I stared spotting again for 5 days then I got what I think is my cycle. I am in no pain, but I am extremely tired but can't sleep at night.  This period is feast or famine--it's heavy with multiple large clots or it's nothing. Doc called and she said I had an infection and called in an antibotic (antibiotic) for me and told me that my boyfriend would have to be treated as well. But today I had to drive for about two hours and when I got out the car I felt like my super tampon was full and I was bleeding into the pad. So I went to the bathroom and this big gush of liquid came running down my leg. My pad was drenched! I did not realize anything was leaking out of me. I was standing in a puddle. Thank goodness I was wearing dark pants. Just like manyof you, it was watery and odorless.

I have an ultrasound scheduled for next week and I hope to get some answers. If I do I will post them here. I've missed so many days from work I'm thinking of getting on Family Medical Leave to cope with days like this. The female body really goes thru it...men have no idea.
Ditto.  Ditto.  Ditto.  This is making me crazy.

I'm 41, and I do have a history of cancer (bc at age 32).  I had 1 yr of radiation/chemotherapy, and I'm not on any birth control or hormones.  I didn't have a period for almost 2 years after treatments, and the first one was very long and heavy.  It lasted 3 months, and I couldn't be more than 30 minutes from a bathroom - made the work commute very difficult.  I went to my gynecologist for a work-up, and she explained this wasn't uncommon in my situation.  It was my body's way of getting back in the swing of things.

Fast forward 6 years, and the heavy periods began again.  Three months constant, and then all was back to normal.  Lately, I've been dealing with VERY heavy periods.  Have clots 1/2 the size of my fist at least a couple times a week, and the rest of the time I'm passing thumbs-sized clots and watery fluid.  I've had this "curse" for the last 6 months straight - since early November! - and I've been "leaking" odorless, watery fluid for over a year (not urine and not sticky at all).  Always have an uncomfortably full feeling - like I've eaten too much.  Last fall, my yearly gynecological PAP came back fine, and I had an intrauterine sonogram, and cervical biopsy.  My gyn said I had a thick uterine wall and stenotic cervix she wouldn't expect to see in a 41 yr old.  She also said the watery fluid could be older fluid that's built-up/trapped in the cervix, and leaks out occasionally.  Intrauterine sonogram returned with small spot on cervix that radiologist said was nothing to get worried about right now.  This was my baseline test, and the 3 month check was good.  Will be monitoring for any changes.  Cervical biopsy came back clean, but man was that uncomfortable - like I was being eviscerated.  Three choices - IUD, ablation, or deal with it (she didn't really say that). IUD out of question, but seriously thinking about ablation.  

Yesterday while walking the dog, it was like my water broke (I'm not pregnant).  Luckily, I was wearing black and was close to home.  I still have that full feeling, and I'm ready to buy stock in feminine hygiene products.  I'm not in denial and realize I'm probably premenopausal or perimenopausal, but is this normal?  Someone please help, and don't tell me to go back to the doctor unless I can go back with something.  I've been getting yearly check-ups since I was 17, and I don't let embarrassment keep me from doing what's best for my overall health.  I found my cancer, I've always been my own best advocate where my health is concerned, and know my body better than anyone.  Something's not right.  

Sorry so long-winded, but I know you feel my frustration!
Leukorrhea?  Could very well be wrong as I'm not a doctor, but I don't think so.  What most are describing isn't white, yellow, green, or viscid.  It's clear, very watery, and odorless-just like water.  Thanks for the opinion, though.
I have most of these symptoms as well. Back aches, side aches, nausea, pain, dizzy, feel crappy, watery discharge,clots. heavy bleeding....I was told that I have adenomiosis (adenomyosis).  I think of it like endometriosis but the lining is growing inside the uterus wall.  I also have a mishapen uterus, fibroid and a cyst. I am also a DES baby.  IDK that all these symptoms are linked to that.  I have been told hyterectomey ans was also very anemic.  I am not now but still take iron everyday.  

If anyone else has a more clear picture...please share!  The watery discharge is bizarre and a pain!  I am bleeding/leaking most of the month and wear pads most of the month.

Sami
I am 42 and have been having the same problems.  I have had to bring extra pairs of pants and underwear to work for those days where it's really bad (I work retail so I can't just hide it sitting at a desk).

I do know I have PCOS.  I have also been trying to get pregnant for about 9 years now with no success.

Good luck to everyone with this problem, hopefully we can all get some answers soon.
I have had problem with my period since I hit puberty and this is one of those "unknown" problem that most doctors pay no attention to.  After going over several post-surgery notes I found something interesting.  When I was 14 I had an ovarian cyst that was the size of a tennis ball. It was remove without and complications BUT in the notes about what else was found the Doctor commented on the 'excess amount of fluid in the pouch-of-douglas'  and then drained it.  I am wondering if this isn't where the fluid is coming from :) I know that this area can become filled with fluid when a woman is sexual aroused and it is thought to be where female ejaculate comes from. I will be asking my Doctor more about this on my next visit :) the other possibility is that the fluid is simply a ruptured ovarian or fallopian cyst. Either way it would be nice if our Doctors would look into this phenom more considering there are so many of us having to deal with this.

The past year I have had the same watery discharge only with my period.  I have not had any health problems or pain related problems with the exception of normal period pain.  I use tampons as well.  I find it very hard to believe that all of these doctors and gyn are telling women that they are cysts that burst.  One doctor even told a woman that it was urine.  Let me get this straight...the woman was wearing tampons (vagina) and the doctor told her the clear fluid was coming from her urinating on herself (urethra) :) ok...im scared. I think I would switch docs immediately.  Also on different sites the doctors are telling the women that have this clear fluid only during their period that they are ovarian cysts bursting.  Ok...so ALL of these women are bursting cysts only during their period...give me a break...sounds like a catch all answer for " I don't know" which is alot better than "its a cyst rupturing".  There are thousands of us with this that have no other medical problems...I believe the person above that said it has to do with the "pouch of douglas" has something there.  Women that ejaculate have a huge amount of clear fluid come from somewhere in there bodies. Sounds like the medical researchers need to research that pouch more and we will probably find some answers.  I think if women are having a problem they should go to a doctor, but it sounds like this is an area where we need research...tons of women have had d&c's, a  hysterectomy, ultrasounds, laps, and invasive procedures all for this watery discharge.  I have not gone to the doctor...I figure if this many women have it that it can't be abnormal.  Would be nice to hear an explanation that has been researched and documented though.
LMAO!!  Susan your reply cracked me up!  Considering I faithfully get the gushes of fluid on day 1 and 2 of my period only, those would be some pretty big cysts and bizarre timing.... and obviously that's not it.  

And, I am one of the people whose doctor said it was urine!  Very disappointing - the most she could scrape up explanation-wise was that there was a fistula...which apparently would have to be one of those fistulas that can open and close at will, since this only happens during my period!  She referred me to a urologist, and I absolutely did not go back to her.

Verrrry interesting about the pouch of douglas... I still have the shadowy fears of fallopian tube cancer, since the gushes of fluid are a pathognomic (sp) symptom, but P.of D. sounds more likely.  

Also wonder if anyone else is overweight? This started 2 years ago when I was about 35 lbs overweight; down to 20 overweight and hopefully will get to ideal weight to see if the excess estrogen (which is stored in fat) had anything to do with it....

So glad I found this forum and to the original poster for putting it out there!  I too am hopeful that we'll get to the bottom of this.
yes I am overweight, but have been for many years now, so I don't think that's as much the cause...could be a contributing factor though.
I have PCOS and I get my period about 4 to 6 times a year and they last about a 7 to 9 weeks. And always at the end I get a what a call 50/50 flow half water or clear liquid and blood. I'm scared I'm 25 I want to have kids but all this makes me thing I'm not! If u have issue and have gotten help pls tell me.  

P.s. I don't have medical insurance and doctors are too much!
I am a 30 y/o and I only recently started having this problem. Waking up in the middle of the night thinking I leaked on myself only to find out that my tampon is 25% filled with blood and the rest with a clear, sometimes alittle oderous liquid. The same thing happens during the day too. Im afraid to go out sometimes cause Im scared Im gonna leak on myself in public. My cramps are bad but with meds they are bareable. and as for the other symptoms listed I do have a few, but not all. I am overweight and been overweght pretty much my whole life. I can say that I have diverticulisitis. Im having surgery for it. And I also had a cyst on my left ovary a few years ago. I found out I had both at the same time when I went to the ER cause I was in so much pain. The cyst when away on its own. I have been trying to get pregnant ( i was prego twice but lost both) with no success. I have an appointment to see a gyno in 2 weeks. I just recently got medical insurance. I hope I find out what is wrong. The cancer thing is freaking me out and making me wanna find out even more what is going on. I will post back and let all you brave ladies know my findings. I will not take NO for an answer or this is "NORMAL" Obviously something is going on. I hope we all find an answer to this problem!!

Keeping you all posted

Carlee =)
WOW...am I Glad I'm not alone as well!
Same thing...monsterous  periods with huge clots (*tampon and overnight pad change every 1/2 hour to hour*) and huge amounts of clear liquid halfway between periods, and sometimes accompanying them. AND back pain and discomfort in the one right side, eh. I do have a small fibroid, and asked my 'GynoSaur' what it could be. She had stated that her research found that it was mostly hormonal and that the ovaries play a huge part. I was even contemplating a Merena implant, but am still on the fence with it.
I am so grateful that I found you ladies to bounce this off of; we are NOT alone!
Hi there....
im not sure if you mentioned how old you are but i am 55 and have fybrious cysts in my uterous and for many years than i can remember hav always flooded for my first few days...
when i was 50 i was told to have a hystorectomy(cant spell soz lol ) but at the same time i was told my cysts would shrink and disappear once my periods stop...meaning post menopause..
so i decided to continue as is...using sometimes up to 4 tampons at once...and no no one after the other...4 ina bundle and entwine 4 strings together and insert together...its a challenge but that and a pad as back up on the worst days gets me through to 2 hours...
over the past year on and off i have had all periods followed by the clear watery phase ..it has been 6months since my last period and have now hardly any blood for this period as is all mainly clear and watery...on mentioning this to my doctor i wondered if it was urine...however didnt really smell like it...but couldnt think of another explanation for clear watery liquid that yes can more than fill a tampon...so im wondering if in my case it is discharge related to the uterous cysts..
i have no pain or discomfort which is a blessing...even when flooding...just a dragging bloatef feeling...but thats always been the case...
i am comforted to read of others with clear watery periods if thats what we want to call it...but it only happens when in that cycle...so has to be related to periods...
my doctor didnt have any answers

cheers for now
Coleen
I had very heavy bleeding for a year and had to go to hospital for a blood transfusion.  While there they did an ultrasound and discovered PCOS.  Unfortunately my doctor and myself never recieved the diagnosis and so I went on to natural therapies to see what had caused it all.  I went for 2 years and spent lots of money and IT DID NOT HELP.  In fact, when the bleeding got worse, the natural therapist finally said she didn't know what it was and told me to go to the hospital. So, that is what happened, this year when heavy bleeding started again and wouldn't stop, I was rushed to ER several times since the bleeding was severe and eventually one on-call gyne realised I had PCOS and said I needed to do an emergency D&C.  He did the D&C a few days later and removed lots of lining and several polyps.  He put me on primolut since I suffer from estrogen dominance.  I am on an anti-estrogen diet and am trying to exercise to lose weight.  It was good for two weeks, my estrogen levels seemed to go down and I was fine with less tablets of Primolut but last night, I started bleeding again very heavily.  Had to take several tablets to stop the bleeding and now I am just going through life pill by pill afraid to excercise and afraid to eat not knowing what is causing all of this.  My gynae appointment is still two weeks away and I am not sure what I should be doing at this stage. Anyhow, just to let you know, Natural therapies sound great but for complex conditions like hormone imbalance they just don't work.  DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!
Read most all comments and am surprised no one has a definitive answer to whats causing watery periods.My story is similar... I'm 45, not menopausal, of normal weight, 2 kids, regular pap smears, etc. Earlier this year my usually light periods dragged on for 3 weeks at a time, stop for a couple then start up again. My doctor is a gem, have been seeing him since I was 18. Anyway, after a uterine ultrasound, he concluded I had some large fibroids that needed to be removed. The foul odor with my period was an infection from decaying fibroids he concluded. I did antibiotics and that went away. Then surgery this past May. Same surgery as a c-section, just no baby! He removed 2 fibroids the size and density of lacrosse balls, 1 smaller one and endometriosis from my only tube (one removed in '96 due to torsion...that's another story) and uterus. I had one normal period then back to watery periods and two months later, more odor. More antibiotics, 1000mgs a day, whose name I forget but I read they also treat malaria and anthrax poisoning! Odor gone, but more water...blood tinged on the edges. No cramps, cant feel anything but I soak a pad or tampon in no time. Probably not associated with this but at my last appt, I pointed out a lump really low near my thigh and he said its a hernia and referred me to a surgeon. Its hard to believe with this many women experiencing this that no one has a definitive diagnosis. Will update as I go along with any pertinent info. Good luck to all!
My daughter, who is 12 just started her period 2 months ago.  She is as skinny as a blade of grass and growing tall faster than a weed.  Today she said she felt something burst and felt a gush in her underpants.  She went to the bathroom thinking her period had started, but it was just clear water, no odor.   She complained of bad back pain last week.  Of the two periods she's had they have been what I would classify as light to normal.

It's frustrating that women's issues do not get the medical attention they deserve.  BTW THANK YOU ALL for posting, it was a relief to find this forum.  

In reading through all of the posts here, and as a research paralegal, imo there is a repeated connection to being anemic.  I used to think anemia was a skinny person's issue, but it's not.  So even for those of you reporting being overweight, I wonder if you are anemic?

I was most interested to hear back from the lady who was going to have her bladder filled with fluid and checked to see if any polyps appeared as apparently she was saying they can lie flat, but when the bladder is filled with fluid they float or sway and can be clearly seen.  I did not notice her re-posting since her procedure.

I really don't want to take my 12 year old to an invasive type of appt and I don't know what to do.

hey everyone im 30 with 3 kds and have the same syptoms (symptoms) as you gu ys. i went to the er and was told ihave cervical cancer ...I had a biopsy done on my “tumors“ came back as pylops. Wa told i need a hystorectamy.Now my doctors dont know what it is. lm waiting to go see a onologist.
Has anyone on this forum ever had the hpv cervical cancer vaccine , Gardasil? I am having the same problem as all of you and think it may be related to this vaccine. My issues did not begin until I had this vaccine two years ago.
I also had this start up last year all the same symptoms. I went to the gyn right away, they ran a few blood tests and a internal ultrasound. They never called me in for results so I called and was told they only call when there's a problem. Recently it started again, it comes as a second period and then two days into it becomes a watery discharge. So I went in again, they assigned me to yet another doctors assistant. She had no clue about my history and pasts tests, when I asked her why she didn't have the results in my chart she said my original chart was in storage. I lost it, well I'm PMSing so I'm gonna lose it!
She got her staff to call the labs for copies of results. When they saw my results they were really freaked out. Apparently there was a abnormal thickening of the endometrial wall, possible fibroid cysts, on and on it went, with the final comment recommending that the office do more tests.
I wasn't able to get a copy of my blood work yet but now they are freaking out because if there was something that 9 months ago they could have caught they are liable for malpratice.
Unfortunately we expect doctors to know what's going on, especially in their own office. This was a wake up call to me to keep my own records of my health and not to take the (they'll call if there's a problem for an answer) right now I'm going through a series of tests just to find out what is causing all of this and what they can do to heal it. I don't believe people should have to put up with illness and suffering.

I advise all of you to ask questions, dig deeper, request more tests, and expect answers, keep copies of all your lab work for yourself, and never take IT'S NORMAL for an answer. Its not normal for you not to feel well! It's your body telling you something is wrong!

Good luck ladies I pray we all figure this out and are healed
I just wanted to post and say I'm really glad also to have found this forum. I am 43 years old, no kids, not sexually active right now, with a long history of normal, light periods. Over the past few months I've noticed the clear fluid at the end of my period, but I never was concerned. This time however, there was an extremely foul odour as well, and I too was concerned about cancer, infection, etc. The thing about the pouch of Douglas makes sense to me, as I am also a female ejaculator. I will definitely follow up with my doctor, and I encourage any of the ladies who posted before to tell us how you're doing! BTW I also have had some unusual (very mild) aches and pains around my period.
Hi, I haven't had the Gardisil vaccination.
I am almost 50, non-menopausal, sexually active, mother of two early teens and in a long-term monogamous relationship with my husband.  My periods are usually easy, with an occasional day of cramping at the start. My periods are insanely regular, but shorter in the last five years than they used to be.  Today I had a similar experience to all of you:

My period started last night.  I had had a bad sinus-type headache all day yesterday and went to bed early. My headache was gone this morning. I brushed my teeth and changed my tampon and did the usual morning routine with the kids. I sat down at my desk to turn on my computer, and realized (very suddenly) that I was going to vomit so I rushed into the bathroom and vomited up the glass of water I'd drunk after brushing my teeth.  My spouse is working at home today, so he was able to get the kids to school.

I had a cup of green tea, and an hour later tried to eat a piece of toast, which I immediately vomited.  I kept down another cup of tea and sat down at my desk to work on a proposal I'm on deadline for.  

An hour later, I felt a gush and thought I'd overflowed my tampon. When I checked, the mini pad I always wear on the first day was soaked with a slightly pinkish clear fluid, as well as my undies.  The tampon was also soakedwith the same clear fluid. It and the pad smelled very slightly salty.  I've had no cramping, no pain, no constipation.

Since then I've eaten two pieces of dry toast and kept them down as I searched the internet for some idea of what just happened.

I am overweight but physically active, and working on losing weight and exercising more. I take a low dose of synthroid for Hashimoto's Disease (thyroid) and betapace to guard against a recurrence of the three episodes of Atrial fibrillation I experienced two years ago.

This is the first time this has happened to me, and while it's somewhat comforting to read all of your experiences, it's definitely disturbing that this happens to so many women and no one understands why.  Thanks for all your stories, and advice!

I was in my 60s and had a heavy watery discharge (no blood) for approx 2 years and no gyn could help.  My new primary care physician refused to give up on me.  At last resort she did a intra-uterine biopsy which came back positive for cancer.  I had endometroid adenocarcinoma.  Since I was past menopause I did not hesitate having uterus and tubes removed.  I have been in excellent shape since.
Geez...nice to know I am not alone, but discouraging that there don't seem to be any answers. My doctor suspected a fistula and after a transvaginal ultrasound and CT scan that was ruled out. Was supposed to have a pap as well but was bleeding very heavily for over a month. Now on birth control pills and once bleeding is normal supposed to go back to doc in Dec. The clear watery discharge is a mess so for the last 3 months I wear a super + tampon and thick pad ALL the time.  Sometimes I only have to change it a couple times a day and other times every hour or less or the clear and sometimes slightly pink watery discharge leaks out - sometimes soaking my pants to my knees. Ridiculous and embarrassing...at this rate I feel like I should buy stock in tampon manufacturing companies! I will post here again if I find some type of answers to my issue...good luck to all.
I thought I was the only one too! I have PCOS and recently diagnosed with ovarian cysts. Mine started when I was in the hospital with cellulitis. My period started. Then afterward I just started leaking a clear fluid. I have been on Google, WebMD and many other websites trying to figure out what it could be. I came upon this website/blog and I know that I need to find me a good doctor! I want to wish you ladies the best on getting to find out what could really be causing this mysterious problem!!
Hi, it is really nice when you learn that you aren't alone in something like this.  My doctor also said, "oh it is probably urine."  I wanted to shake her and say, "I know the difference between a clear liquid that is saturating my super sized tampon in less than an hour and a yellow liquid that is coming out of my urethra!"

I am 38.  This has been going on for about 2 years now.  Mine only occurs during the period.  I get about 50% watery fluid, 20% clots, and 30% regular blood during my 6 day period.  I have noted pains in my side as many of you describe, but mine haven't been that severe. They are different and not at the same time during the cycle as "ovulation cramps." I have noticed that my PMS emotional symptoms have increased dramatically in the last 3 years, but perhaps coincidental?  I have put on about 10 lbs excess weight, as several people mention.  And some people mentioned a hormonal component...I eat far more meat products than a person should and have been wanting to cut down for other reasons, so this will provide additional incentive.  

Thanks for all of the sharing.  A lot of good info, and I plan re-read it and to print a lot of it and share with my doctor.

This is WEIRD!
I just got online to do a good search of  'why am leaking clear fluid a day before my period'? So, I'm having the clear watery discharge, but unlike most of you, mine isn't DURING my period, it's almost like an "aura" like a warning that my period is about to start. This first happened ot me last month. I woke up in the morning saying to myself "oh damn it, I just ruined my pajamas AND the bed"! Upon rushing to the toilet, bent over as not to GUSH all down my legs and keep some contained until I plopped down, I was VERY surprised to find there was NOTHING there! I heard it go into the toilet, I felt it leaking out, it's actually what woke me up. I wiped and it was clear. I put a mini pad on just to be safe and started my normal period the day after. THIS month (I'm 2 days into my period) the same thing happened. It was clear but it obviously wets the toilet paper. I know this isn't urine because you can tell when something is leaking out of your vaginal opening and when you're peeing. Totally different!
Like other posters, I have some clots though not huge ones. Pelvic pain, headaches, the usual, But since last month, I'm getting sick. Woozy and very nauseated. What is going on???
Just an update since my post on 10/17. I have no idea if what happened to me this weekend has anything to do with the clear watery fluid but I now have a gynecologist who is committed to trying to get to the bottom of it...just in case. I urge anyone worried about the clear fluid to see your doctor - could be it's nothing, but better safe than sorry.  Ok my update - last Wednesday I started my period and bleed a shocking amount for 2.5 days...keep in mind I had also been bleeding off and on for a month or so and when I wasn't bleeding I had the clear watery stuff...anyway after 2.5 days of this extremely heavy bleeding I felt horrible and almost fainted and my neighbor took me to the ER at the advice of my family physician.  Turned out I was extremely anemic and needed 4 units of blood transfusion and kept me in the hospital for 2 days. The extremely heavy bleeding STILL hadn't stopped b
Oops, didn't finish my post - anyway they ended up giving me Premarin and the Lysteda to reduce the bleeding and now I am home and having a very light period. They did ultrasound and other than a small fibroid no indication of the cause of this crazy period, but I have an appt tomorrow with my gynecologist to discuss next steps and figure out WHY this happened...might just be because I went off the pill in the middle of a pack and restarted it 3 months later and might have just gotten my hormones all messed up.

Ugh!  Good luck to all!
Wow I have this 'problem' too - although one thing I can't figure out is WHY DOESNT THE TAMPON hold this watery liquid?? It is almost like it is so thin and watery it bypasses the tampon completely - what is this liquid?!?!?! This always happens lately during my period (I think it has happened on and off for years) but seems heavier now. I have not yet sought medical advice as it seems so trivial but now that I am approaching 48, I probably should check what is going on down there as I have been getting 'new' pains hopefully related to menopause and not something like cancer!  Keep posting if anyone has found any answers!

Hi, ladies
So im so glad i found this website. Im on my fourth day of my period....woke up this morning thinking that my tampon was soaked. So i got up to go take a shower but didnt have to pee. I noticed that it was dripping down my leg i was holding it in and then i sat and my underwear was soaked as well as my tampon!! Never has this happened to me! Im 32 married 3 kids and just had the essure done about 8 months ago.
Luckily I ran into my gynecologist at work today and told him. He looked at me like i was crazy! Hes never heard that. Im so confused!
I had no other symptoms and i know i didn't have to use the bathroom.
Thank you for this post. I suffer from the exact same symptoms, everything! Except my period extends to a full cycle sometimes. I'm 20 and not sexually active either, and live a generally healthy lifestyle (i am a vegetarian, don't drink or smoke). I have no idea what the problem could be. I went to my GP but all he gave me was the same answer: The Pill. Will this help cure the problem in the long term or is it just for quick visible results? Any medical help would be appreciated.
have your doctor check for fibriod tumors.i have heavy painful periods my vagina sometimes feels like its going to fall out its so heavy and hurts.but the heavy bleeding for me is caused from the fibriod tumors
I have had clear fluid leaking the past 6 months during my menstruation.  I am 49 and in peri-menopause.  I have a Nabothian cyst at the entrance of my cervix.  My doctor told me that this is why I am leaking clear fluids as it is discharging which is a good thing.  I was told by my gyne that these cysts decrease in size and ultimately disappear during menopause.  I fully believe this is why I am experiencing the clear liquid during my periods as he mentioned.  Maybe this explanation will clear this up for many of you that are close or in menopause.
Love this web page!!!  I'm so thankful to hear that others are as frustrated as I am!  I'm 37, have two kids, and have been freaking out that this may be some sort of cancer.  I've been bleeding like a stuck pig for the last 5 years.  The watery discharge is new this last year and a half.  I have birthed many blood clot children (no tax credit there) and no doctor seems to know what is wrong with me.  I've been through 3 gynos: one did a D&C and then gave up, one said just yank it out, and the third has me on Mirena.  
Oops, accidentally hit the comment button.  

The Mirena has been in it's new home for a few days now.  I will let you all know how this goes.

It's the heavy bleeding that worries me the most.  This last month, I had tone taken to the ER three times!  I am so very tired, dizzy and out of breath.  My heart starts beating fast and hard and I can't catch my breath.  The ER docs said this is a panic attack along with anemia.  They did a chest x-ray to rule out blood clot.  They did a vaginal ultrasound (a yearly procedure for me), they drew blood like I actually had some to spare, and they found absolutely nothing wrong with me!

I have been to an endocrinologist only to find that e everything looks fine (including thyroid) and the only abnormality is having too much estrogen.  I am overweight so that doesn't help but when this whole thing started 5 years ago I was 65lbs lighter.  This bleeding is running my life!!!  I can't exercise because I'm so tired from bleeding.  I take an iron supplement two times a day.  Just when I finally get my energy back - the bleeding starts again.  I also have the watery discharge just before my period starts.  A kind of early warning detection system.

My new gyno says that the Mirena should help curb the bleeding in a few months time.  I have tried oral birth control in the past and was having such intense cramping that I was only able to use that method for two months before giving up.  The cramping ended - thank goodness.

I cannot understand why there are no answers from the medical community.  This is clearly a widespread issue for a lot of women.  The more I talk about this with people, the more I hear from them about a sister, friend, daughter, or their own experiences with this type of hormonal problem.  Here's my beef:  right now I feel like I'm being treated for the symptom, not the cause.  Even if this IUD works in slowing down my periods, what caused the hormonal shift in the first place?  How can this be prevented?  What is the root of the problem?

I went to see a homeopathic/natural remedy woman too.  I haven't started taking the pills yet because I want to see how I feel with the IUD first.  I expect to start them in a month and will keep you all in the loop if there seems to be a benefit.  I went to her in the first place on the recommendation of a friend whose thyroid was out if wavk
Sorry- that comment button is very sensitive!

I was saying, my friend's thyroid was out of wack and after beginning a natural course of treatment, has been healthy ever since without having to continue taking pills.  

I have a brother who is a vegan and he also talks about the dangers of extra hormones in foods.  I love milk.  What will I do without milk?  :)
My gyno also suggested looking into a more plant based diet.  We'll see how this goes.  I have a love affair with chicken.

I have been reading so many blogs and medical sites that talk about certain cancers associated with my symptoms: heavy bleeding, watery or yellow discharge, fatigue, dizziness, lower back & abdominal pain.  They are all signs of cancer.  No matter how many gynos I see (including the ER docs and my general phys) they all seem to be certain that it isn't cancer.  I have that little voice inside telling me to push harder.  But maybe it's just me not wanting to look back with the "what ifs". What if I had found it earlier?  What if I had pushed harder or gone to yet another doctor?  I was starting to think that I was paranoid until I found this page tonight.  Thank you ladies for taking the time to post your comments.  Good luck everybody!  
I too have the watery discharge. Mine is usually only enough to lightly fill a panty liner and it is only during my period. To respond to earlier concerns. I believe the liquid is the same liquid that occurs when a female (squirting) orgasm occurs. I'm thinking this since it bypasses the tampon...so i'm assuming the liquid is coming from the same hole that disperses urine, but just not from the bladder. If I am correct, it is unknown where the love juice comes from, only that it contains a veeeeery slight amount of urine.
I have only ever had this liquid discharge since I have been on the Nuvaring, so I can only guess that it has something to do with either the ring touching something or the specific hormones of the ring. However, my latest Pap test did come back positive, so if my next pap is +ve i'm going to have some things looked at. Otherwise, I'm not too concerned about the liquid since it seems to be natural (like an orgasm)...without all the pleasure ;)
i'm having  trouble getting pregnant  too i got pregnant once had a miscarriage  and since after never got pregnant again ,now  after my period i realize i had this watery discharge its bothering me too it kinda smell funny not bad but it have a scent my period came for like 2weeks it was slow for the first week and late in the second week i had clots i'm hating this but i see alot of people here have this problem i'm 22yrs old  now my period is over i keep getting this cramping feeling in my right leg it feels kinda weak please help someone tell me what is this.
Love this sight, have same thing,but not going to call it a simtom, yet. I started noticing it about a year ago, but may have been around much longer just not odvious.
My stats: 34, no children, was on hormonal contraceptives from 18 to 26, have been using condoms and spermicide since, not sure if I have fertility issues becaus i am not trying to get prego, very sexually activ with the same partnewr for the last 13 years, no stds, no abnormal paps. Did once, about 4years ago, talk to my gyno about some breakthough bleading that was occuring after intercours (she detewrimined it was a sensitivity to monoxinil 9, admittedly we were going alittl crazy with the dosage, again we are not and we're not tying to get prego; since discontinuing the use of  minoxidil 9 i have had no further issues with break through bleeding. I have been consistently gaining wait since my late 20's,about 12 lbs over weight right now but that is after loosin 10 very slowly, too slowly, have a sluggish thyroid but meds are not nessisary yet; though may have to take them eventually, and yes I am a squirter but not on command, not sure why or how but I do believe in female ejaculation. It would be interesting to know if that had anything to do with the discharge.
Issues: Almost 2 years ago the cramps became sever
I would have painful but loose bowl movements on day 2nd and 3rd day of period ( do no have any constipation and when not on a heavy day have no issues)
I always have gained about 3-5 lbs during my period, and it seems like I have to pee every 5 Minutes the day after my period.
Moodiness, very tired, and sometimes I'm just an animal (but that is rare)
And at the end of my period for about2maybe 3 days I have this clear (though at the beginning there is a hint of pink) discharge, the flow is typically like a reg period day but some times heavier and even gushing( defiantly fills a tampon) no real oder other than vagina and I refuse to describe that smell as any thing other that "awesome healthy vagina smell!"

Now in the last few years I have been fighting to get my self back on track as fare as fitness is concerned (when I was a teen and pretty much till about age 29 I was very physically active and there for at a healthier weight and probably healthier overall) and since having done so I have notices an improvement in the level of pain and heaviness of my period but it is still very heavy on some days, with painful bowl movements and cramping and some times I can feel my right side (I am going to say in the overly area because it is about level with my navel and I am very short waisted) during sex if in the wrong position and if I have sever cramps they are usually on that side.

Period is typically as fallows : cycle is between 29and 31 days period is about 5 days plus 1-2days of spotting and then about 2days of clear dc. It goes kind of like this:lilspot,spot,regular, my guts are falling out, oh my god my guts are falling out is that my liver, regular maybe a little more guts, light, clear dc for about 2 more days.

I am not sure were your dc is coming from, but I recently cried the cervical cup,one out of curiosity and 2to get a good look at what is going on, ya know. And FYI cervical cup is cool for regular and slightly heavy days, but not a good idea for my guts at falling out days, when that goes it goes, there are not warning drops or small leaks! But otherwise relatively cool. What i discovered is that the clots at gross and large and the clear discharge has to be flowing from my cervix, the cup fits like a diaphragm so there is no were else for it to be coming from. 

Have not talked to my Gino specifically about the clear discharge (it might seem weird but I have not been super alarmed by it, just curios, I usually google first then Greek out:)) I did however speak to her about the heavier periods and more sever symptoms, we left it with it was likely to have something to do with genetics (our family have heavy periods) coupled with my mild thyroid issues, she recommended diet, exercise, less stress. Admittedly that seems to have helped some, but not enough yet. After reading your posts i realizes that i am not sure if they checked anything other than my thyroid so my next visit I may ask her to check to see if they did and if not would test for other hormonal issues. 
Any way that's the deal no real answers yet just thought I would share because your stories made me feel a lot less weird! 

Is it possible that clear discharge is a normal part of some women's cycle and it just hasn't made it into the school health books yet?

Dose this sound familiar and any one have any suggestions?

Thank you
Sorry this is my first time in this sight I ment for that post to be to all not sure, how it went to chained and sorry about the typeos, I am still learning how. To type on a tablet !
Regarding the chronic yeast infections - you should be checked for a systemic Candida infection (yeast infections throughout your body).  They can test this with a simple blood test.  This infection can cause all kinds of strange symptoms from migraines, to joint & back pain, to decreased circulation!  I was diagnosed a year ago and it is tough to get rid of.
Hi Ladies,

I too have similar issues during the heaviest, clotting part of my period.  In reviewing the comments for only those that have experienced heavy bleeding and clotting, I am wondering if the fluid is the serum remaining from the blood which has clotted?  If so, that in itself is just inconvenient and not concerning.  The more concerning issue would be if there is an extensive amount of bleeding - what is the cause of that and is that ok.  

Just a thought, if you happen to be taking aspirin during this time of the period, the clotting may be reduced and therefore less fluid as well.  Not a recommendation of course - but just in case this has been an observed variable in anyone.

I just want to add my experiences, for the general knowledge. I'm 20 and I've been sexually active and on the pill for about 8 months. The weird thing is that I usually have pretty normal periods. Bad cramps on the first day (but better now that I've started bc), but otherwise not so bad; normal flow, not super long, no clots. I do get my period 3-4 days before I get to the placebo pills, but I assume that's just me still adjusting to the birth control.

But two months ago, when I removed a tampon there was this sudden intense gush of clear watery liquid. Kinda freaked me out! Since I don't have any other issues, I brushed it off. But today, I used a tampon for the first time since, and it happened again. So I only get the watery discharge when I take out a tampon, I guess? Weird. Anyway. ~~the more you know~~
has anyone checked the similarities of all those who have the clear discharge.  are you all taking medications of some kind?  even vitamins?
Hi, I am 47, I have 2 young children both under 11, I have been diagnosed with IBS, it seems to cycle with my menstrual cycle.  Over the last several months i have been having problems with a watery period every other period.  One period PMS clotting, pain, heavy bleeding are the symptoms, the next moth, pms is ok, no clotting but the watery discharge (no odor) were i think i am leaking in my pants run to the bathroom and there is nothing but some red on a tampon and full of "water".  i have not been to the dr yet because i hear unless it "smells" or is a funny color don't worry.  but this is weird????  
Hello ladies,
I started my cycle at the young age of 9 years old. I had nothing but tough times from that day foward. At 12 I had cramps so bad I had no clue what was going on, i would have diaria then sweats ( i would take my cloths off and lay on any bathroom floor ) then I would vomit at the same time then my mom would take me to er.. they would give me demerol shots /with gravol. this is how i was every month . Alwasy have had the watery disscharge ) At 15 i had a lapracopamy scope which they told me I had  Endrometreosis  bad ... so I had a D&C another D&C at almost 18 .. around this time I became sexualy active .. Nothing ever changed the bleeding got heavier every year. I got pregnant at 22 years , after the C section I was (normal) for almost 2 years  then back to hell then had another baby and was good for almost 2 years . Then another D&C for the bleeding. I was bleeding through a supper tampon and a night (thick) pad in 10 mins..... so I had fiborids the size of a big grapfruit  ,endrometreious ,and pulops . Then by the age of 33 a hystorectomy !! things are much better now thank godness!!
I am soo glad I have found this site . They kept telling me it was in my head I was faking the pain!!  I was pregnant at 12 when I had never done the deed!!
Now my daughter has this watery disscharge like yous are taking about .. So I take her to the gyn they had a very hard time finding her cervics ..she did after 30 mins find it .. I felt so bad her first pap... tells her to not ues soap down there to wash her panties in the sink with unsented soap.. and that she does not know why she would have this much disscharge to wet through a pad , panties and cloths  ?????
Same thing as the posters before...

I gain 2-4 lbs right before my period and a day or two into it, I release this clear liquid.  It soaks through a tampon and usually gets on my clothes.  It's a huge pain.  I usually go to the restroom very frequently this day as well.  A day or two after, I'm down the 2 - 4 lbs I gained.  This is the same time my mood improves drastically.  
Wow... this is amazing... all of us have this?  Well, here's my info:

I'm 40, no children (3 miscarriages), I'm UNDER weight... I used to weigh about 136, 5'8... I now weigh 118, last 3 years.  My periods are light and only last about 4 days... I do have severe cramping which eminates down through my legs and often in my back... I'm on a heating pad my first couple of days, I sometimes feel nauseous as well, especially if I've been walking or running during the time for me to start my monthly.  

The 'watery' leakage usually happens for me BEFORE my period as it does for some others.  It is a gushing feeling, but only covers my pantyliner with very little blood.  It has happened before, but doesn't always.  I had no idea so many of us go through this, I had often wondered if I was having another miscarriage and if it was amniotic fluid... It tends to happen more if I've been sexually active... I too am anemic and do have some clotting.

I see my gyno regularly once a year and am tested for everything, as well as having a pap done.  I've never brought the topic up to her, but I will.  Hopefully, it's nothing serious for any of us.  Maybe just something mother nature threw in for good measure...
Last night I woke up because I thought I wet the bed. But there was no odor. I started my period torrey and was wearing a tampon. The tampon was barely half saturated with blood. This is the first time that this has happened to me. I am 31 , and relatively healthy. I do not use any birth control because I don't like the hormonal manipulation. I have not had children yet by choice, not by incapability. My only significant history is ovarian cysts. I had one removed from my right ovary approximately 11 years ago that was the size of a tennis ball, out was benign. Leading up to this removal was a history of mid-cycle intermittent ovarian pain for three years. Since the surgery I haven't had any memorable recurrences.

With this recent issue, I don't have any clotting and the pain that I have is normal cramping pain, but it has been consistently left-sided, at least the last three months. I have been considering this related to a cyst. I was concerned that this might be an ectopic pregnancy, but multiple pregnancy tests have ruled that out.

Now that I have read other posts and I have applied my own symptoms, I am thinking that this might be a cysts that burst, resulting in the watery discharge. Unfortunately, I am in between health coverages right now and will not seek attention unless I absolutely have to. I hope my post can add to the knowledge bank. I know I feel less anxious about my condition.
I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem. I to have been going through tampons like crazy and its not much blood, mainly watery fluid. One time it was so bad that when I took the tampon out water gushed out like I was peeing. I'm going to my obgyn to see if they might know what could be causing it. I'm 26, never been pregnant. I also have been getting really nauseous, headaches, sharp pain in my right side and really weak. Last month I was so weak I fell on the bathroom floor but before that happened I was sweating and couldn't hardly hear. I hope to get answers.
I have the same issue, but the catch is...I'm only 15 and not sexually active. Which is surprising for this generation. But i am too embarassed to ask to go to a Dr. If you find out anything keep this updated
So glad I found this site!
My story's a little different though. I started taking the pill at around 16 for heavy periods and wasn't sexually active til 18. I stopped taking the pill last year in July and haven't had a period since. Concerned, I went to my doctor and have been diagnosed with polycystic ovaries although not the syndrome.
I've noticed recently that I get the clear watery discharge A LOT. I think I may have always had it but in the past few months it's become more and more frequent and there's been more of it - enough to soak through my undies and onto my jeans.
Things that have caught my attention since reading this post:
I have polycystic ovaries
I have a slow thyroid, but don't need medication as yet
I am overweight, although have only really been overweight for about the last 5 years
I have also been an ejaculator during orgasm, although not on demand, just randomly
So I can't help but think that this must be some kind of syndrome that has not yet been documented and all of these things are related somehow.
Please keep posting!
Like you all, glad I'm not alone.  I noticed the watery discharge about two-three months ago.
I am 24, married (only sexual partner I've had), no kids, never pregnant, on Junel Fe 21 for 4 years, appropriate weight, work out 2-3 times a week, and try to eat healthy (but doesn't always happen) and no history of female issues.  However, all the females in my family have issues (mother and aunt both had hysterectomies in 40s, grandmother had ovarian cancer in her 70s), so I'm just biding my time.  My mother has always had clotting issues.  I have only ever had one when I was 15 or so.
The watery discharge comes on the 2nd-4th day of my period and I soak through a tampons within an hour.  There is very little blood the last days and the first couple days are regular bleeding.  I only rarely get bad cramps, but one night about 3 months ago I was kept awake all night by intense cramps and sweats.  I thought I would pass out and wake up on the show "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant" with a baby.
I find it disturbing that our doctors are hearing about this for the first time and SO many have the issue in some fashion or another.  I called my Gyno today and she said she had never heard of anything like it.  She told me to come in while I am on the "water-phase" for an exam, but I can rarely predict my periods (they have never fallen on the correct week of my pack they are always off a day or two, but very regular.)
I'm not expecting answers from anyone, but if anything, we can print these pages and pages of info and give them to our doctors as to say, "HELLO!  There's a PROBLEM out there!"
Hi all, relieved like everyone to hear I am not alone. The combination with excessive blood clotting that many talk about made me think. I thought it might be blood serum and if you look it up you find the definition '
n
(Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Physiology) blood plasma from which the clotting factors have been removed

Seems like the answer! But whether it is something to worry about I don't know. Would be interested to hear everyon's thoughts.

Do look up blood serum and tell me what you think.
How come nobody has mentioned if they are sexually active. I know sometimes my husbands fluid (trying not to be to graphic here..lol) will suddenly fall out of me 2-3days even a week later. Vaginas have a suction that can keep fluids in there very well....maybe if u take a lot of baths or swim...this also cld be another way fluid gets trapped inside. I make it a habit to push out any extra fluids after sex baths or swimming to keep those "gushes" from surprising me not to mention if its bath water trapped up there, that can lead to an infection.
Oh and also if u arenot sexually active I would think its a very good chance the extra stimulus from the tampon may be ur cause...I don't think "mjrt" post is farfetched at all.
what if you have a watery-bloody discharge
37 female, two teenage girls, haven't been sexually active in 9 years. Always had regular periods like clock work. Have been diagnosed with HPV in teens. One bad pap in teens coposcopy done. Regular paps since. Last year started with dryness of vagina itching, burning was diagnosed with vaginosis and next month simalar thing. Late in the fall had spotting started between periods. My sister had spotting started with her at same age 35 or 36 so I chalked it up as my mom said early menopause like she had in late 30s. Well my periods got whackier in that fall. Heavier bleeding during periods. Then came early spring of this year I had gone out of town during my period with a thin maxi and I soaked through all over the place within 2 hours. I was so embarrassed had daughter in car. Had to buy pants at Walmart and maxis. Then one month later on my period again I was out of town again. Had one too many sodas on drive home. I had these odd stomach cramps and pain. Discomfort in abdomen that i never had before. I tried to walk it off with my daughter get some excersise and that just made problems worse!!! I had never had the early satiation and abdominal pain just cramps. I ended up very nauseous that night sweats though i was gonna vomit. It felt like stabbing pain like a heavy metal ball rolling through intestines only to have gas. I considered the ER but couldn't move even to get pain med. I was up all night. After that ended I started having periods with heavy clotting and then my clear discharge started for whole months at a time. I went to drs. and she said the discharge might be from vaginosis she found again and to take med cream. But this has been happening every month for past 2 months and it has just gotten heavier!! clear watery discharge slightly yellow tinged with blood? ok so maybe clear up vaginal infection no yellow but that discharge will still be there!! And lastnight I have my regular period day 2 and I had dreams I went to dr and that admitted me for a while. I woke up and realized I was bleeding right through my long regular pad and right up the front of me!! It was only 2 1/2 hours since I last changed. It scared me and I have been so tired. I have an appt. to get a transvaginal ultrasound. She is checking for fibroids and a growing of the lining. I also had pap test normal 6 months ago and hormone and thyroid test both normal. I am kinda scared as well. If the ultrasound comes out normal doc said she was going to do edometrial biopsy which I heard isn't comfortable! Great! But am glad I am not alone here. Hopefully post back with results... Hope we find an answer too! Thinking of you all!
Also wanted to add to my post above. Last month I had one normal but somewhat heavy period, as somewhat expected, a month that was completely dry and lasted 26 days! YEAH! I was so thrilled to not have to wear a pad because of watery discharge or spotting of blood!!! Then disaster struck with odd watery discharge that came back with vengeance after my last period!! BOOOOOOOOOO!
        I have never taken any kind of meds. No BC ever. Never needed. No health problems except anxiety. I have had heart palpitations, night sweats, headaches, dizziness in the past for 2 or 3 years on and off not much now, fatigue, heavy pelvic, loss of concentration, fogginess, I know sounds like perimenopause! But not what Dr. thinks so see what the tests come up with like I said hormone levels normal. She said these symptoms don't normally show up till nearing menopause. Whats with the heavy lwatery discharge? My sister does not have this symptom and she has been having periods every 2 weeks for  6 years now and doesn't pay no mind since d&c a few years back that came back clean. Ugh.. Hope there is some correlation found with this watery discharge phenomenon.
I'm so glad I found this!!
I'm 42 with 4 kids. I have had horrible periods since the birth of my last child, he's 4 1//2. I have the discharge all the time, it's so bad I have to wear a panty liner or pad just about everyday. I have very heavy periods that last longer than normal and are clotty. I've gained about 8 pounds and I've never gained weight before.
I'm making an appt. this week and I'll keep you updated. It's nice to know I'm not the only woman out there with this problem.
how can we get to the bottom of this , its like no one is taking this seriously. i have been having pain on my left side that does not go away . when its the time of the month im in great pain dizziness , leg cramps. nausea and i have not been sexually active at all which is not me , im 32 years old, i dont understand  how so much can change in 2 years .  
this morning i woke up thinking that i had stained the bed and i too had lots of watery discharge no scent whatsoever but i did have huge blood clots after.I am going to have my yearly check up sometime around this month. I am going to ask her if there is any way to do a sonogram since the pain i am feeling on my right side is unbearable it even lingers on when I am off my period, i get so dizzy and nauseated i cant eat. I feel better now knowing I am not alone. thank you all for sharing  
i have the same back pains watery discharge and having my tampon only 1/4th full. it is very frustrating. my obgyn doc said that if im having my periods regurally then there is nothing wrong with my fertility but i have been tryin to get pregnant for 2 years and still nothing. all of my hormone levels and blood tests have come back normal and healthy. this is very frustrating and upsetting. but i wish you the best of luck on making a family.
Went to Gyn today to find out why Im having this watery discharge, When I mentioned this to the Dr., She looked at me like I was crazy!! then brushed it off as urine.  I am positive this is not urine. Its clear and odorless. Im so frusterated.  Gyn is sending me for a pelvic ultrasound to test for fibroid tumors not because of the watery d/c but because of other symptoms, ie: swollen breasts, constant feeling of PMS.  I pray that we will all get our answers for this soon.  
I'm 41, been on the pill from 20 to 35 as my periods were heavy, painful and irregular. Just after 35 in summer one morning, 2 days after my period was over, started bleeding non stop and had to go to hospital, where of course they found NOTHING, and suggested in the end to stop the pill as I was 35, which I did. The bleeding lasted a few days, then some medication they gave me stopped it. However, my periods have been getting worst since, increasingly painful and heavy, cycles always 5 days to a week too short. And over the past year, the clear discharge. As many on this page, it's like I pee myself, goes through clothes and all, but the tampon isn't even half full. Started wearing tampons and pads and changing every hour, however the pain was also unbearable and between the clear discharge, the actual bleeding and the pain I would lose at least a week of my life every 3, uncapable to work or go out. I started having pain and discharge even in between, although just a light discharge. After much insisting, the doctor sent me for further testing and discovered a fybroid. I've now been on a combination of Mefenamic and Tranexamic acids, supposed to help with the pain and the bleeding. They seem to help, and when the bleeding goes down the discharge seems to go away with it. However, I can take each three times a day, and sometimes it's not enough. If the effect stops while I sleep for example, I'll wake up in horrible pain and with the usual old over-bleeding, clear and not. Last time both pain and heavy bleeding lasted 3 hours. I took more painkillers, and the result was that I felt totally drained and sick in my stomach for the whole day. So really, I don't know if this is a long term solution for me and I'm planning to go back to my doctor, but as the clear discharge seems to go with the heavy bleeding and pain due to the fybroid, I would think the fybroid is the cause of them all. I can't believe this topic went on for so long and comes on top of google and no one really has an answer but I totally feel your pain and discomfort, and if I find a way to stop this I will definitely share it. In the meanwhile, if you haven't yet make sure you get tested for fybroids, they're not always easy to spot so if the doctor is not very thorough might miss them and the little bastards need to be tackled fast! Good luck everyone x
I'm 47, was diagnosed with PCOS 23 years ago, heavy heavy periods all the while (once I started getting them again). Four months ago started mysterious water gushing before and during my period. Two months later, I bled very heavily for five weeks straight, massive clots that would just not stop. After a long break from doctors, saw a naturopath. Had a pap smear, ultrasound, and endometrial biopsy. All normal. So very very strange. The watery discharge is just so freaking bizarre... Mine sometimes has a "salty" smell, like pretzels, and sometimes smells just like urine, but most often is odorless. ???
I've had all of this for years. I've had two children. I had prepared myself both times, keeping weight even, eating healthy food, no alcohol, smoking and taking folic acid. I've given up going to the Dr, i'm sure that they think we're moaning for nothing. As i have had children i can say that the pain is as bad as 1st stage labour.  
I cant tell u how relieved i am to find more ppl with this issue.. i have had the watery discharge, clots that could have been a kid, back pain, fatigue.. heres my deal: i am very sensitive to my body, i can feel when im ovulating and from which overy. anywhere between a week befor to the time i start, i get the watery discharge like i pee'd myself, my first day i start mentrating im light, 2nd and 3rd day im HEAVY to the point i bleed threw a super heavy and a pad in less than an hr. during my heavy period is when i get the massive clotting, ill feeling, major fatigue and back pain. My 4th and 5th day are light again. There are some months where my 2nd and 3rd day are not quite as heavy,when that happens my period lasts for 7 days.. i have ovarian cysts that rupture almost like clockwork, bout every 2 months. I am 32 and i ws diagnosed with these cysts since i was 19. My overies are so scared from them that i no longer have the debilitating, worse than giving birth pain, but more of a still painful but more managable pain that lasts longer now cuz the fluid leaks slowly through the scar tissue rather than exploding like it did befor. I can not get any doc near me to take out ny left overy (i have more issues with my left than my right) The watery discharge is not due to my cysts and as i said, always occurs befor my period but also sometimes occurs during.  My sister haad very similar problems and her doc requested an ablation.. When she went in to have all her tests done befor the procedure, they found other probs with her and ended up requesting a full hysterectomy, she went through with it and says she is having less probs now than she did with her period.. I don want to go to that extreme, i have 4 kids and currently my tubes are tied but my boy friend and i want to have more kids so a reveral is in my future as it seems none of my issues refleced on my fertility. However, i would really like to find out whats going on with my body befor i go threw with the reversal or i may just be looking at the hysterectomy for relief.  :/
I have combed through the dozens of postings on this thread. Here are my stats: 51, overweight, sexually active, never pregnant, diabetic and on several meds for it. I was on BC pills from 20-42, then after I stopped them my periods became heavy. I don't remember when the watery discharge started, but I've had it for some years now. Always mid-period, and it soaks through my pants.

Here are my conclusions:
1. First and foremost, I am surprised that no one seems to have encountered a doctor who is familiar with this condition, even though it doesn't appear to be all that rare.
2. I'm not buying the burst cyst theory in my case. Cysts don't burst on a monthly schedule.
3. The post about the tampon stimulating the production of fluid sounds like a solid theory. I don't recall having the discharge when I was wearing a pad. But clearly it can be triggered by other factors as other women have had it without the tampon.
4. The idea about the blood serum may have merit, too.
5. I don't know much about hormones, but they could be a factor as well.
6. I've always been fairly "wet" during intercourse, although I don't believe I ejaculate (I think hubby would have mentioned that.) Maybe this discharge is an overproduction of vaginal fluids that is tripped by hormone levels and stimulation from the tampon. That's my non-professional theory.

Good luck to all of you who are suffering from serious symptoms. My heart goes out to you.
I have the same problem. Second month in a row. I have found this sight and another sight from reading up on it the only things I've found is drs are stumped(mine included went today she thought I was urinating myself. Clearly not the same hole) also, could be uterine cysts rupturing or fibroids which both can be helped with combinations of birth control pills. Hope this helps
I went through thick mucous discharge for a couple months and then the watery discharge. Doc thought I had bacterial vaginosis, but she also wanted to check on a fibroid that I had been dealing with. BV treatment didn't work, and ultrasound found that my fibroid that had been 2 inches in may of last year was now 4 inches 8 months later and my uterus was 10 times the size of a normal one. Doc started discussing a hysterectomy and in the meantime I started bleeding horrendously, even with a mirena IUD. Surgery got pushed up a week and then the night before I wound up in the ER with severe anemia. Ladies, don't be a procrastinator like me, get things done before it's worse. I'm 39, and one week post surgery. So happy! I can move without the fear of the gush :) Cant wait to see how I feel when I'm post recovery. Hope to have my energy back that I seemed to have lost years ago when the fibroid was first discovered!