watery discharge during period...
...among other symptoms:

for the past year my periods have been ridiculously heavy, often bleeding through tampon, pad and clothing in under two hours.

i also have a watery discharge during my period. it is clear and odorless. even if there is very little blood on my tampon, it soaks through and leaks through my pad and clothing as well.

recently, i have been having less liquid blood and more clots, with a lot of the watery discharge. i have three solid days of going through both a tampon and pad within an hour.

i also have severe backache and cramping, and just generally feel ill, which i realize could be just normal period stuff.

however, over the last two years i have become increasingly aware of this awful stabbing pain that i get in my pelvic region. i will just be sitting down and it will come on so suddenly and harshly it makes me jump and cry out. the initial stabbing sensation is usualy brief, then a dull ache sometimes continues.

i've also struggled with constipation for about 6 years. i know lots of females do though. when i am able to relieve myself, it is diahrrea. i eat a TON of fiber and drink lots of water.

i'm 24, athletic, otherwise healthy, and eat organically.

here's the clincher:
i'm not sexually active, nor have i ever been.
doctors rarely believe me, and thus make getting real medical advice difficult.

I thought I was the only one too! I have PCOS and recently diagnosed with ovarian cysts. Mine started when I was in the hospital with cellulitis. My period started. Then afterward I just started leaking a clear fluid. I have been on Google, WebMD and many other websites trying to figure out what it could be. I came upon this website/blog and I know that I need to find me a good doctor! I want to wish you ladies the best on getting to find out what could really be causing this mysterious problem!!
Hi, it is really nice when you learn that you aren't alone in something like this.  My doctor also said, "oh it is probably urine."  I wanted to shake her and say, "I know the difference between a clear liquid that is saturating my super sized tampon in less than an hour and a yellow liquid that is coming out of my urethra!"

I am 38.  This has been going on for about 2 years now.  Mine only occurs during the period.  I get about 50% watery fluid, 20% clots, and 30% regular blood during my 6 day period.  I have noted pains in my side as many of you describe, but mine haven't been that severe. They are different and not at the same time during the cycle as "ovulation cramps." I have noticed that my PMS emotional symptoms have increased dramatically in the last 3 years, but perhaps coincidental?  I have put on about 10 lbs excess weight, as several people mention.  And some people mentioned a hormonal component...I eat far more meat products than a person should and have been wanting to cut down for other reasons, so this will provide additional incentive.  

Thanks for all of the sharing.  A lot of good info, and I plan re-read it and to print a lot of it and share with my doctor.

This is WEIRD!
I just got online to do a good search of  'why am leaking clear fluid a day before my period'? So, I'm having the clear watery discharge, but unlike most of you, mine isn't DURING my period, it's almost like an "aura" like a warning that my period is about to start. This first happened ot me last month. I woke up in the morning saying to myself "oh damn it, I just ruined my pajamas AND the bed"! Upon rushing to the toilet, bent over as not to GUSH all down my legs and keep some contained until I plopped down, I was VERY surprised to find there was NOTHING there! I heard it go into the toilet, I felt it leaking out, it's actually what woke me up. I wiped and it was clear. I put a mini pad on just to be safe and started my normal period the day after. THIS month (I'm 2 days into my period) the same thing happened. It was clear but it obviously wets the toilet paper. I know this isn't urine because you can tell when something is leaking out of your vaginal opening and when you're peeing. Totally different!
Like other posters, I have some clots though not huge ones. Pelvic pain, headaches, the usual, But since last month, I'm getting sick. Woozy and very nauseated. What is going on???
Just an update since my post on 10/17. I have no idea if what happened to me this weekend has anything to do with the clear watery fluid but I now have a gynecologist who is committed to trying to get to the bottom of it...just in case. I urge anyone worried about the clear fluid to see your doctor - could be it's nothing, but better safe than sorry.  Ok my update - last Wednesday I started my period and bleed a shocking amount for 2.5 days...keep in mind I had also been bleeding off and on for a month or so and when I wasn't bleeding I had the clear watery stuff...anyway after 2.5 days of this extremely heavy bleeding I felt horrible and almost fainted and my neighbor took me to the ER at the advice of my family physician.  Turned out I was extremely anemic and needed 4 units of blood transfusion and kept me in the hospital for 2 days. The extremely heavy bleeding STILL hadn't stopped b
Oops, didn't finish my post - anyway they ended up giving me Premarin and the Lysteda to reduce the bleeding and now I am home and having a very light period. They did ultrasound and other than a small fibroid no indication of the cause of this crazy period, but I have an appt tomorrow with my gynecologist to discuss next steps and figure out WHY this happened...might just be because I went off the pill in the middle of a pack and restarted it 3 months later and might have just gotten my hormones all messed up.

Ugh!  Good luck to all!
Wow I have this 'problem' too - although one thing I can't figure out is WHY DOESNT THE TAMPON hold this watery liquid?? It is almost like it is so thin and watery it bypasses the tampon completely - what is this liquid?!?!?! This always happens lately during my period (I think it has happened on and off for years) but seems heavier now. I have not yet sought medical advice as it seems so trivial but now that I am approaching 48, I probably should check what is going on down there as I have been getting 'new' pains hopefully related to menopause and not something like cancer!  Keep posting if anyone has found any answers!

Hi, ladies
So im so glad i found this website. Im on my fourth day of my period....woke up this morning thinking that my tampon was soaked. So i got up to go take a shower but didnt have to pee. I noticed that it was dripping down my leg i was holding it in and then i sat and my underwear was soaked as well as my tampon!! Never has this happened to me! Im 32 married 3 kids and just had the essure done about 8 months ago.
Luckily I ran into my gynecologist at work today and told him. He looked at me like i was crazy! Hes never heard that. Im so confused!
I had no other symptoms and i know i didn't have to use the bathroom.
Thank you for this post. I suffer from the exact same symptoms, everything! Except my period extends to a full cycle sometimes. I'm 20 and not sexually active either, and live a generally healthy lifestyle (i am a vegetarian, don't drink or smoke). I have no idea what the problem could be. I went to my GP but all he gave me was the same answer: The Pill. Will this help cure the problem in the long term or is it just for quick visible results? Any medical help would be appreciated.
have your doctor check for fibriod tumors.i have heavy painful periods my vagina sometimes feels like its going to fall out its so heavy and hurts.but the heavy bleeding for me is caused from the fibriod tumors
I have had clear fluid leaking the past 6 months during my menstruation.  I am 49 and in peri-menopause.  I have a Nabothian cyst at the entrance of my cervix.  My doctor told me that this is why I am leaking clear fluids as it is discharging which is a good thing.  I was told by my gyne that these cysts decrease in size and ultimately disappear during menopause.  I fully believe this is why I am experiencing the clear liquid during my periods as he mentioned.  Maybe this explanation will clear this up for many of you that are close or in menopause.
Love this web page!!!  I'm so thankful to hear that others are as frustrated as I am!  I'm 37, have two kids, and have been freaking out that this may be some sort of cancer.  I've been bleeding like a stuck pig for the last 5 years.  The watery discharge is new this last year and a half.  I have birthed many blood clot children (no tax credit there) and no doctor seems to know what is wrong with me.  I've been through 3 gynos: one did a D&C and then gave up, one said just yank it out, and the third has me on Mirena.  
Oops, accidentally hit the comment button.  

The Mirena has been in it's new home for a few days now.  I will let you all know how this goes.

It's the heavy bleeding that worries me the most.  This last month, I had tone taken to the ER three times!  I am so very tired, dizzy and out of breath.  My heart starts beating fast and hard and I can't catch my breath.  The ER docs said this is a panic attack along with anemia.  They did a chest x-ray to rule out blood clot.  They did a vaginal ultrasound (a yearly procedure for me), they drew blood like I actually had some to spare, and they found absolutely nothing wrong with me!

I have been to an endocrinologist only to find that e everything looks fine (including thyroid) and the only abnormality is having too much estrogen.  I am overweight so that doesn't help but when this whole thing started 5 years ago I was 65lbs lighter.  This bleeding is running my life!!!  I can't exercise because I'm so tired from bleeding.  I take an iron supplement two times a day.  Just when I finally get my energy back - the bleeding starts again.  I also have the watery discharge just before my period starts.  A kind of early warning detection system.

My new gyno says that the Mirena should help curb the bleeding in a few months time.  I have tried oral birth control in the past and was having such intense cramping that I was only able to use that method for two months before giving up.  The cramping ended - thank goodness.

I cannot understand why there are no answers from the medical community.  This is clearly a widespread issue for a lot of women.  The more I talk about this with people, the more I hear from them about a sister, friend, daughter, or their own experiences with this type of hormonal problem.  Here's my beef:  right now I feel like I'm being treated for the symptom, not the cause.  Even if this IUD works in slowing down my periods, what caused the hormonal shift in the first place?  How can this be prevented?  What is the root of the problem?

I went to see a homeopathic/natural remedy woman too.  I haven't started taking the pills yet because I want to see how I feel with the IUD first.  I expect to start them in a month and will keep you all in the loop if there seems to be a benefit.  I went to her in the first place on the recommendation of a friend whose thyroid was out if wavk
Sorry- that comment button is very sensitive!

I was saying, my friend's thyroid was out of wack and after beginning a natural course of treatment, has been healthy ever since without having to continue taking pills.  

I have a brother who is a vegan and he also talks about the dangers of extra hormones in foods.  I love milk.  What will I do without milk?  :)
My gyno also suggested looking into a more plant based diet.  We'll see how this goes.  I have a love affair with chicken.

I have been reading so many blogs and medical sites that talk about certain cancers associated with my symptoms: heavy bleeding, watery or yellow discharge, fatigue, dizziness, lower back & abdominal pain.  They are all signs of cancer.  No matter how many gynos I see (including the ER docs and my general phys) they all seem to be certain that it isn't cancer.  I have that little voice inside telling me to push harder.  But maybe it's just me not wanting to look back with the "what ifs". What if I had found it earlier?  What if I had pushed harder or gone to yet another doctor?  I was starting to think that I was paranoid until I found this page tonight.  Thank you ladies for taking the time to post your comments.  Good luck everybody!  
I too have the watery discharge. Mine is usually only enough to lightly fill a panty liner and it is only during my period. To respond to earlier concerns. I believe the liquid is the same liquid that occurs when a female (squirting) orgasm occurs. I'm thinking this since it bypasses the tampon...so i'm assuming the liquid is coming from the same hole that disperses urine, but just not from the bladder. If I am correct, it is unknown where the love juice comes from, only that it contains a veeeeery slight amount of urine.
I have only ever had this liquid discharge since I have been on the Nuvaring, so I can only guess that it has something to do with either the ring touching something or the specific hormones of the ring. However, my latest Pap test did come back positive, so if my next pap is +ve i'm going to have some things looked at. Otherwise, I'm not too concerned about the liquid since it seems to be natural (like an orgasm)...without all the pleasure ;)
i'm having  trouble getting pregnant  too i got pregnant once had a miscarriage  and since after never got pregnant again ,now  after my period i realize i had this watery discharge its bothering me too it kinda smell funny not bad but it have a scent my period came for like 2weeks it was slow for the first week and late in the second week i had clots i'm hating this but i see alot of people here have this problem i'm 22yrs old  now my period is over i keep getting this cramping feeling in my right leg it feels kinda weak please help someone tell me what is this.
Love this sight, have same thing,but not going to call it a simtom, yet. I started noticing it about a year ago, but may have been around much longer just not odvious.
My stats: 34, no children, was on hormonal contraceptives from 18 to 26, have been using condoms and spermicide since, not sure if I have fertility issues becaus i am not trying to get prego, very sexually activ with the same partnewr for the last 13 years, no stds, no abnormal paps. Did once, about 4years ago, talk to my gyno about some breakthough bleading that was occuring after intercours (she detewrimined it was a sensitivity to monoxinil 9, admittedly we were going alittl crazy with the dosage, again we are not and we're not tying to get prego; since discontinuing the use of  minoxidil 9 i have had no further issues with break through bleeding. I have been consistently gaining wait since my late 20's,about 12 lbs over weight right now but that is after loosin 10 very slowly, too slowly, have a sluggish thyroid but meds are not nessisary yet; though may have to take them eventually, and yes I am a squirter but not on command, not sure why or how but I do believe in female ejaculation. It would be interesting to know if that had anything to do with the discharge.
Issues: Almost 2 years ago the cramps became sever
I would have painful but loose bowl movements on day 2nd and 3rd day of period ( do no have any constipation and when not on a heavy day have no issues)
I always have gained about 3-5 lbs during my period, and it seems like I have to pee every 5 Minutes the day after my period.
Moodiness, very tired, and sometimes I'm just an animal (but that is rare)
And at the end of my period for about2maybe 3 days I have this clear (though at the beginning there is a hint of pink) discharge, the flow is typically like a reg period day but some times heavier and even gushing( defiantly fills a tampon) no real oder other than vagina and I refuse to describe that smell as any thing other that "awesome healthy vagina smell!"

Now in the last few years I have been fighting to get my self back on track as fare as fitness is concerned (when I was a teen and pretty much till about age 29 I was very physically active and there for at a healthier weight and probably healthier overall) and since having done so I have notices an improvement in the level of pain and heaviness of my period but it is still very heavy on some days, with painful bowl movements and cramping and some times I can feel my right side (I am going to say in the overly area because it is about level with my navel and I am very short waisted) during sex if in the wrong position and if I have sever cramps they are usually on that side.

Period is typically as fallows : cycle is between 29and 31 days period is about 5 days plus 1-2days of spotting and then about 2days of clear dc. It goes kind of like this:lilspot,spot,regular, my guts are falling out, oh my god my guts are falling out is that my liver, regular maybe a little more guts, light, clear dc for about 2 more days.

I am not sure were your dc is coming from, but I recently cried the cervical cup,one out of curiosity and 2to get a good look at what is going on, ya know. And FYI cervical cup is cool for regular and slightly heavy days, but not a good idea for my guts at falling out days, when that goes it goes, there are not warning drops or small leaks! But otherwise relatively cool. What i discovered is that the clots at gross and large and the clear discharge has to be flowing from my cervix, the cup fits like a diaphragm so there is no were else for it to be coming from. 

Have not talked to my Gino specifically about the clear discharge (it might seem weird but I have not been super alarmed by it, just curios, I usually google first then Greek out:)) I did however speak to her about the heavier periods and more sever symptoms, we left it with it was likely to have something to do with genetics (our family have heavy periods) coupled with my mild thyroid issues, she recommended diet, exercise, less stress. Admittedly that seems to have helped some, but not enough yet. After reading your posts i realizes that i am not sure if they checked anything other than my thyroid so my next visit I may ask her to check to see if they did and if not would test for other hormonal issues. 
Any way that's the deal no real answers yet just thought I would share because your stories made me feel a lot less weird! 

Is it possible that clear discharge is a normal part of some women's cycle and it just hasn't made it into the school health books yet?

Dose this sound familiar and any one have any suggestions?

Thank you
Sorry this is my first time in this sight I ment for that post to be to all not sure, how it went to chained and sorry about the typeos, I am still learning how. To type on a tablet !
Regarding the chronic yeast infections - you should be checked for a systemic Candida infection (yeast infections throughout your body).  They can test this with a simple blood test.  This infection can cause all kinds of strange symptoms from migraines, to joint & back pain, to decreased circulation!  I was diagnosed a year ago and it is tough to get rid of.
Hi Ladies,

I too have similar issues during the heaviest, clotting part of my period.  In reviewing the comments for only those that have experienced heavy bleeding and clotting, I am wondering if the fluid is the serum remaining from the blood which has clotted?  If so, that in itself is just inconvenient and not concerning.  The more concerning issue would be if there is an extensive amount of bleeding - what is the cause of that and is that ok.  

Just a thought, if you happen to be taking aspirin during this time of the period, the clotting may be reduced and therefore less fluid as well.  Not a recommendation of course - but just in case this has been an observed variable in anyone.

I just want to add my experiences, for the general knowledge. I'm 20 and I've been sexually active and on the pill for about 8 months. The weird thing is that I usually have pretty normal periods. Bad cramps on the first day (but better now that I've started bc), but otherwise not so bad; normal flow, not super long, no clots. I do get my period 3-4 days before I get to the placebo pills, but I assume that's just me still adjusting to the birth control.

But two months ago, when I removed a tampon there was this sudden intense gush of clear watery liquid. Kinda freaked me out! Since I don't have any other issues, I brushed it off. But today, I used a tampon for the first time since, and it happened again. So I only get the watery discharge when I take out a tampon, I guess? Weird. Anyway. ~~the more you know~~
has anyone checked the similarities of all those who have the clear discharge.  are you all taking medications of some kind?  even vitamins?
Hi, I am 47, I have 2 young children both under 11, I have been diagnosed with IBS, it seems to cycle with my menstrual cycle.  Over the last several months i have been having problems with a watery period every other period.  One period PMS clotting, pain, heavy bleeding are the symptoms, the next moth, pms is ok, no clotting but the watery discharge (no odor) were i think i am leaking in my pants run to the bathroom and there is nothing but some red on a tampon and full of "water".  i have not been to the dr yet because i hear unless it "smells" or is a funny color don't worry.  but this is weird????  
Hello ladies,
I started my cycle at the young age of 9 years old. I had nothing but tough times from that day foward. At 12 I had cramps so bad I had no clue what was going on, i would have diaria then sweats ( i would take my cloths off and lay on any bathroom floor ) then I would vomit at the same time then my mom would take me to er.. they would give me demerol shots /with gravol. this is how i was every month . Alwasy have had the watery disscharge ) At 15 i had a lapracopamy scope which they told me I had  Endrometreosis  bad ... so I had a D&C another D&C at almost 18 .. around this time I became sexualy active .. Nothing ever changed the bleeding got heavier every year. I got pregnant at 22 years , after the C section I was (normal) for almost 2 years  then back to hell then had another baby and was good for almost 2 years . Then another D&C for the bleeding. I was bleeding through a supper tampon and a night (thick) pad in 10 mins..... so I had fiborids the size of a big grapfruit  ,endrometreious ,and pulops . Then by the age of 33 a hystorectomy !! things are much better now thank godness!!
I am soo glad I have found this site . They kept telling me it was in my head I was faking the pain!!  I was pregnant at 12 when I had never done the deed!!
Now my daughter has this watery disscharge like yous are taking about .. So I take her to the gyn they had a very hard time finding her cervics ..she did after 30 mins find it .. I felt so bad her first pap... tells her to not ues soap down there to wash her panties in the sink with unsented soap.. and that she does not know why she would have this much disscharge to wet through a pad , panties and cloths  ?????
Same thing as the posters before...

I gain 2-4 lbs right before my period and a day or two into it, I release this clear liquid.  It soaks through a tampon and usually gets on my clothes.  It's a huge pain.  I usually go to the restroom very frequently this day as well.  A day or two after, I'm down the 2 - 4 lbs I gained.  This is the same time my mood improves drastically.  
Wow... this is amazing... all of us have this?  Well, here's my info:

I'm 40, no children (3 miscarriages), I'm UNDER weight... I used to weigh about 136, 5'8... I now weigh 118, last 3 years.  My periods are light and only last about 4 days... I do have severe cramping which eminates down through my legs and often in my back... I'm on a heating pad my first couple of days, I sometimes feel nauseous as well, especially if I've been walking or running during the time for me to start my monthly.  

The 'watery' leakage usually happens for me BEFORE my period as it does for some others.  It is a gushing feeling, but only covers my pantyliner with very little blood.  It has happened before, but doesn't always.  I had no idea so many of us go through this, I had often wondered if I was having another miscarriage and if it was amniotic fluid... It tends to happen more if I've been sexually active... I too am anemic and do have some clotting.

I see my gyno regularly once a year and am tested for everything, as well as having a pap done.  I've never brought the topic up to her, but I will.  Hopefully, it's nothing serious for any of us.  Maybe just something mother nature threw in for good measure...
Last night I woke up because I thought I wet the bed. But there was no odor. I started my period torrey and was wearing a tampon. The tampon was barely half saturated with blood. This is the first time that this has happened to me. I am 31 , and relatively healthy. I do not use any birth control because I don't like the hormonal manipulation. I have not had children yet by choice, not by incapability. My only significant history is ovarian cysts. I had one removed from my right ovary approximately 11 years ago that was the size of a tennis ball, out was benign. Leading up to this removal was a history of mid-cycle intermittent ovarian pain for three years. Since the surgery I haven't had any memorable recurrences.

With this recent issue, I don't have any clotting and the pain that I have is normal cramping pain, but it has been consistently left-sided, at least the last three months. I have been considering this related to a cyst. I was concerned that this might be an ectopic pregnancy, but multiple pregnancy tests have ruled that out.

Now that I have read other posts and I have applied my own symptoms, I am thinking that this might be a cysts that burst, resulting in the watery discharge. Unfortunately, I am in between health coverages right now and will not seek attention unless I absolutely have to. I hope my post can add to the knowledge bank. I know I feel less anxious about my condition.
I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem. I to have been going through tampons like crazy and its not much blood, mainly watery fluid. One time it was so bad that when I took the tampon out water gushed out like I was peeing. I'm going to my obgyn to see if they might know what could be causing it. I'm 26, never been pregnant. I also have been getting really nauseous, headaches, sharp pain in my right side and really weak. Last month I was so weak I fell on the bathroom floor but before that happened I was sweating and couldn't hardly hear. I hope to get answers.
I have the same issue, but the catch is...I'm only 15 and not sexually active. Which is surprising for this generation. But i am too embarassed to ask to go to a Dr. If you find out anything keep this updated
So glad I found this site!
My story's a little different though. I started taking the pill at around 16 for heavy periods and wasn't sexually active til 18. I stopped taking the pill last year in July and haven't had a period since. Concerned, I went to my doctor and have been diagnosed with polycystic ovaries although not the syndrome.
I've noticed recently that I get the clear watery discharge A LOT. I think I may have always had it but in the past few months it's become more and more frequent and there's been more of it - enough to soak through my undies and onto my jeans.
Things that have caught my attention since reading this post:
I have polycystic ovaries
I have a slow thyroid, but don't need medication as yet
I am overweight, although have only really been overweight for about the last 5 years
I have also been an ejaculator during orgasm, although not on demand, just randomly
So I can't help but think that this must be some kind of syndrome that has not yet been documented and all of these things are related somehow.
Please keep posting!
Like you all, glad I'm not alone.  I noticed the watery discharge about two-three months ago.
I am 24, married (only sexual partner I've had), no kids, never pregnant, on Junel Fe 21 for 4 years, appropriate weight, work out 2-3 times a week, and try to eat healthy (but doesn't always happen) and no history of female issues.  However, all the females in my family have issues (mother and aunt both had hysterectomies in 40s, grandmother had ovarian cancer in her 70s), so I'm just biding my time.  My mother has always had clotting issues.  I have only ever had one when I was 15 or so.
The watery discharge comes on the 2nd-4th day of my period and I soak through a tampons within an hour.  There is very little blood the last days and the first couple days are regular bleeding.  I only rarely get bad cramps, but one night about 3 months ago I was kept awake all night by intense cramps and sweats.  I thought I would pass out and wake up on the show "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant" with a baby.
I find it disturbing that our doctors are hearing about this for the first time and SO many have the issue in some fashion or another.  I called my Gyno today and she said she had never heard of anything like it.  She told me to come in while I am on the "water-phase" for an exam, but I can rarely predict my periods (they have never fallen on the correct week of my pack they are always off a day or two, but very regular.)
I'm not expecting answers from anyone, but if anything, we can print these pages and pages of info and give them to our doctors as to say, "HELLO!  There's a PROBLEM out there!"
Hi all, relieved like everyone to hear I am not alone. The combination with excessive blood clotting that many talk about made me think. I thought it might be blood serum and if you look it up you find the definition '
n
(Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Physiology) blood plasma from which the clotting factors have been removed

Seems like the answer! But whether it is something to worry about I don't know. Would be interested to hear everyon's thoughts.

Do look up blood serum and tell me what you think.
How come nobody has mentioned if they are sexually active. I know sometimes my husbands fluid (trying not to be to graphic here..lol) will suddenly fall out of me 2-3days even a week later. Vaginas have a suction that can keep fluids in there very well....maybe if u take a lot of baths or swim...this also cld be another way fluid gets trapped inside. I make it a habit to push out any extra fluids after sex baths or swimming to keep those "gushes" from surprising me not to mention if its bath water trapped up there, that can lead to an infection.
Oh and also if u arenot sexually active I would think its a very good chance the extra stimulus from the tampon may be ur cause...I don't think "mjrt" post is farfetched at all.
what if you have a watery-bloody discharge
37 female, two teenage girls, haven't been sexually active in 9 years. Always had regular periods like clock work. Have been diagnosed with HPV in teens. One bad pap in teens coposcopy done. Regular paps since. Last year started with dryness of vagina itching, burning was diagnosed with vaginosis and next month simalar thing. Late in the fall had spotting started between periods. My sister had spotting started with her at same age 35 or 36 so I chalked it up as my mom said early menopause like she had in late 30s. Well my periods got whackier in that fall. Heavier bleeding during periods. Then came early spring of this year I had gone out of town during my period with a thin maxi and I soaked through all over the place within 2 hours. I was so embarrassed had daughter in car. Had to buy pants at Walmart and maxis. Then one month later on my period again I was out of town again. Had one too many sodas on drive home. I had these odd stomach cramps and pain. Discomfort in abdomen that i never had before. I tried to walk it off with my daughter get some excersise and that just made problems worse!!! I had never had the early satiation and abdominal pain just cramps. I ended up very nauseous that night sweats though i was gonna vomit. It felt like stabbing pain like a heavy metal ball rolling through intestines only to have gas. I considered the ER but couldn't move even to get pain med. I was up all night. After that ended I started having periods with heavy clotting and then my clear discharge started for whole months at a time. I went to drs. and she said the discharge might be from vaginosis she found again and to take med cream. But this has been happening every month for past 2 months and it has just gotten heavier!! clear watery discharge slightly yellow tinged with blood? ok so maybe clear up vaginal infection no yellow but that discharge will still be there!! And lastnight I have my regular period day 2 and I had dreams I went to dr and that admitted me for a while. I woke up and realized I was bleeding right through my long regular pad and right up the front of me!! It was only 2 1/2 hours since I last changed. It scared me and I have been so tired. I have an appt. to get a transvaginal ultrasound. She is checking for fibroids and a growing of the lining. I also had pap test normal 6 months ago and hormone and thyroid test both normal. I am kinda scared as well. If the ultrasound comes out normal doc said she was going to do edometrial biopsy which I heard isn't comfortable! Great! But am glad I am not alone here. Hopefully post back with results... Hope we find an answer too! Thinking of you all!
Also wanted to add to my post above. Last month I had one normal but somewhat heavy period, as somewhat expected, a month that was completely dry and lasted 26 days! YEAH! I was so thrilled to not have to wear a pad because of watery discharge or spotting of blood!!! Then disaster struck with odd watery discharge that came back with vengeance after my last period!! BOOOOOOOOOO!
        I have never taken any kind of meds. No BC ever. Never needed. No health problems except anxiety. I have had heart palpitations, night sweats, headaches, dizziness in the past for 2 or 3 years on and off not much now, fatigue, heavy pelvic, loss of concentration, fogginess, I know sounds like perimenopause! But not what Dr. thinks so see what the tests come up with like I said hormone levels normal. She said these symptoms don't normally show up till nearing menopause. Whats with the heavy lwatery discharge? My sister does not have this symptom and she has been having periods every 2 weeks for  6 years now and doesn't pay no mind since d&c a few years back that came back clean. Ugh.. Hope there is some correlation found with this watery discharge phenomenon.
I'm so glad I found this!!
I'm 42 with 4 kids. I have had horrible periods since the birth of my last child, he's 4 1//2. I have the discharge all the time, it's so bad I have to wear a panty liner or pad just about everyday. I have very heavy periods that last longer than normal and are clotty. I've gained about 8 pounds and I've never gained weight before.
I'm making an appt. this week and I'll keep you updated. It's nice to know I'm not the only woman out there with this problem.
how can we get to the bottom of this , its like no one is taking this seriously. i have been having pain on my left side that does not go away . when its the time of the month im in great pain dizziness , leg cramps. nausea and i have not been sexually active at all which is not me , im 32 years old, i dont understand  how so much can change in 2 years .  
this morning i woke up thinking that i had stained the bed and i too had lots of watery discharge no scent whatsoever but i did have huge blood clots after.I am going to have my yearly check up sometime around this month. I am going to ask her if there is any way to do a sonogram since the pain i am feeling on my right side is unbearable it even lingers on when I am off my period, i get so dizzy and nauseated i cant eat. I feel better now knowing I am not alone. thank you all for sharing  
i have the same back pains watery discharge and having my tampon only 1/4th full. it is very frustrating. my obgyn doc said that if im having my periods regurally then there is nothing wrong with my fertility but i have been tryin to get pregnant for 2 years and still nothing. all of my hormone levels and blood tests have come back normal and healthy. this is very frustrating and upsetting. but i wish you the best of luck on making a family.
Went to Gyn today to find out why Im having this watery discharge, When I mentioned this to the Dr., She looked at me like I was crazy!! then brushed it off as urine.  I am positive this is not urine. Its clear and odorless. Im so frusterated.  Gyn is sending me for a pelvic ultrasound to test for fibroid tumors not because of the watery d/c but because of other symptoms, ie: swollen breasts, constant feeling of PMS.  I pray that we will all get our answers for this soon.  
I'm 41, been on the pill from 20 to 35 as my periods were heavy, painful and irregular. Just after 35 in summer one morning, 2 days after my period was over, started bleeding non stop and had to go to hospital, where of course they found NOTHING, and suggested in the end to stop the pill as I was 35, which I did. The bleeding lasted a few days, then some medication they gave me stopped it. However, my periods have been getting worst since, increasingly painful and heavy, cycles always 5 days to a week too short. And over the past year, the clear discharge. As many on this page, it's like I pee myself, goes through clothes and all, but the tampon isn't even half full. Started wearing tampons and pads and changing every hour, however the pain was also unbearable and between the clear discharge, the actual bleeding and the pain I would lose at least a week of my life every 3, uncapable to work or go out. I started having pain and discharge even in between, although just a light discharge. After much insisting, the doctor sent me for further testing and discovered a fybroid. I've now been on a combination of Mefenamic and Tranexamic acids, supposed to help with the pain and the bleeding. They seem to help, and when the bleeding goes down the discharge seems to go away with it. However, I can take each three times a day, and sometimes it's not enough. If the effect stops while I sleep for example, I'll wake up in horrible pain and with the usual old over-bleeding, clear and not. Last time both pain and heavy bleeding lasted 3 hours. I took more painkillers, and the result was that I felt totally drained and sick in my stomach for the whole day. So really, I don't know if this is a long term solution for me and I'm planning to go back to my doctor, but as the clear discharge seems to go with the heavy bleeding and pain due to the fybroid, I would think the fybroid is the cause of them all. I can't believe this topic went on for so long and comes on top of google and no one really has an answer but I totally feel your pain and discomfort, and if I find a way to stop this I will definitely share it. In the meanwhile, if you haven't yet make sure you get tested for fybroids, they're not always easy to spot so if the doctor is not very thorough might miss them and the little bastards need to be tackled fast! Good luck everyone x
I'm 47, was diagnosed with PCOS 23 years ago, heavy heavy periods all the while (once I started getting them again). Four months ago started mysterious water gushing before and during my period. Two months later, I bled very heavily for five weeks straight, massive clots that would just not stop. After a long break from doctors, saw a naturopath. Had a pap smear, ultrasound, and endometrial biopsy. All normal. So very very strange. The watery discharge is just so freaking bizarre... Mine sometimes has a "salty" smell, like pretzels, and sometimes smells just like urine, but most often is odorless. ???
I've had all of this for years. I've had two children. I had prepared myself both times, keeping weight even, eating healthy food, no alcohol, smoking and taking folic acid. I've given up going to the Dr, i'm sure that they think we're moaning for nothing. As i have had children i can say that the pain is as bad as 1st stage labour.  
I cant tell u how relieved i am to find more ppl with this issue.. i have had the watery discharge, clots that could have been a kid, back pain, fatigue.. heres my deal: i am very sensitive to my body, i can feel when im ovulating and from which overy. anywhere between a week befor to the time i start, i get the watery discharge like i pee'd myself, my first day i start mentrating im light, 2nd and 3rd day im HEAVY to the point i bleed threw a super heavy and a pad in less than an hr. during my heavy period is when i get the massive clotting, ill feeling, major fatigue and back pain. My 4th and 5th day are light again. There are some months where my 2nd and 3rd day are not quite as heavy,when that happens my period lasts for 7 days.. i have ovarian cysts that rupture almost like clockwork, bout every 2 months. I am 32 and i ws diagnosed with these cysts since i was 19. My overies are so scared from them that i no longer have the debilitating, worse than giving birth pain, but more of a still painful but more managable pain that lasts longer now cuz the fluid leaks slowly through the scar tissue rather than exploding like it did befor. I can not get any doc near me to take out ny left overy (i have more issues with my left than my right) The watery discharge is not due to my cysts and as i said, always occurs befor my period but also sometimes occurs during.  My sister haad very similar problems and her doc requested an ablation.. When she went in to have all her tests done befor the procedure, they found other probs with her and ended up requesting a full hysterectomy, she went through with it and says she is having less probs now than she did with her period.. I don want to go to that extreme, i have 4 kids and currently my tubes are tied but my boy friend and i want to have more kids so a reveral is in my future as it seems none of my issues refleced on my fertility. However, i would really like to find out whats going on with my body befor i go threw with the reversal or i may just be looking at the hysterectomy for relief.  :/
I have combed through the dozens of postings on this thread. Here are my stats: 51, overweight, sexually active, never pregnant, diabetic and on several meds for it. I was on BC pills from 20-42, then after I stopped them my periods became heavy. I don't remember when the watery discharge started, but I've had it for some years now. Always mid-period, and it soaks through my pants.

Here are my conclusions:
1. First and foremost, I am surprised that no one seems to have encountered a doctor who is familiar with this condition, even though it doesn't appear to be all that rare.
2. I'm not buying the burst cyst theory in my case. Cysts don't burst on a monthly schedule.
3. The post about the tampon stimulating the production of fluid sounds like a solid theory. I don't recall having the discharge when I was wearing a pad. But clearly it can be triggered by other factors as other women have had it without the tampon.
4. The idea about the blood serum may have merit, too.
5. I don't know much about hormones, but they could be a factor as well.
6. I've always been fairly "wet" during intercourse, although I don't believe I ejaculate (I think hubby would have mentioned that.) Maybe this discharge is an overproduction of vaginal fluids that is tripped by hormone levels and stimulation from the tampon. That's my non-professional theory.

Good luck to all of you who are suffering from serious symptoms. My heart goes out to you.
I have the same problem. Second month in a row. I have found this sight and another sight from reading up on it the only things I've found is drs are stumped(mine included went today she thought I was urinating myself. Clearly not the same hole) also, could be uterine cysts rupturing or fibroids which both can be helped with combinations of birth control pills. Hope this helps
I went through thick mucous discharge for a couple months and then the watery discharge. Doc thought I had bacterial vaginosis, but she also wanted to check on a fibroid that I had been dealing with. BV treatment didn't work, and ultrasound found that my fibroid that had been 2 inches in may of last year was now 4 inches 8 months later and my uterus was 10 times the size of a normal one. Doc started discussing a hysterectomy and in the meantime I started bleeding horrendously, even with a mirena IUD. Surgery got pushed up a week and then the night before I wound up in the ER with severe anemia. Ladies, don't be a procrastinator like me, get things done before it's worse. I'm 39, and one week post surgery. So happy! I can move without the fear of the gush :) Cant wait to see how I feel when I'm post recovery. Hope to have my energy back that I seemed to have lost years ago when the fibroid was first discovered!
A related discussion, Watery discharge during period was started.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.