Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
wound vac

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

wound vac

I've been on the vac  only 1 week but am reading of deaths and dry wounds using the vac and am scared. also home health nurse doesn't wash the wound when she changes it..doc's hospital site said it should be done. I am worried. Also home nurse uses hand sanitizer not soap and waterr for her hands. I'm worried I may not be getting good home care.  Have a call into dr. Waiting. Scared. Lost job already. Some say need grafts/closure after vac is used..some say not. Does anyone know what the risks are? What should I be doing? besides worrying :) Thanks.

This discussion is related to stabbing burning pain in open wound.
Tags: wound vac
found out they are using saliene to wipe the wound when changing. It's on my buttocks so I can see...husband told me they are using saliene.  I thought theywere not using anything. Sorry. I'm so new to this stuff.  It's so scary.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
You are probably having a pilonidal sinus and this could be causing the wound at the back. In this case at times after wound vac the sinus is closed by surgery. Hand sanitizers are good enough if used properly—as good as washing with soap. Usually the nurse does not touch the site of infection directly. Otherwise if you are comfortable you could get her to wear disposable gloves. This would be the best. Hope this helps. Take care!

Yes, good you have a call out to the physician.  In my experience as an RN, I ALWAYS washed my hands with SOAP AND WATER before and after my dressing changes.  Do you know what is ordered to clean the wound with?  Also, make sure the ordered mmHg pressure is set correctly on the machine.  Are you getting alot of drainage from the wound?  You can check the canister on the machine for the amount of drainage that is collecting.  

The nurse should be documenting the amount of drainage, appearance of the site, what kind of dressing was applied, the appearance of the soiled dressing removed, etc.  

Wound vacs can work very well if used properly.  You still might require grafting after using the vac, but that is a "wait and see" how well the wound responds to the vac treatment.  The advantage of this closed system is it minimizes the possibility of infection, frequent dressing changes, helps the wound close/heal faster, etc.  

What you should be doing?  Well, you have a call out to your physician to question your care, which I don't blame you; would do the same.  Also, common sense things such as good nutrition and plenty of rest.  

The Home Health Nurse should have explained to you about the machine, etc.  She should be able to answer your questions, but if she is not even washing her hands....well, good you have a call out to the physician.  

Keep us posted.