xiphoid process-swelling, pain and discomfort
Hi all, I recently noticed a swelling directly on my xiphoid process. It is probably 2inches wide and can be seen when i suck in my stomach. It hurts to the touch and is a little frightening. I know that you can strain the xiphoid just like anything else, but I have been an athlete all my life and never had any problems here...any advice?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
You could probably be having an inflammation of the 7th costal cartilage that overlaps the xiphoid process (costochondritis) or it could be inflammation of the joint between the main body of the breast bone and xiphoid process. Apply a local analgesic cream or spray and apply hot fomentation. Take any non steroidal anti inflammatory drug (NSAID) and see. The only other diagnosis can be severe acidity in which NSAID can cause further problems. Hence please consult a doctor first and then start treatment.
Hope this helps. Do let me know if there is any thing else and keep me posted. Take care!

A related discussion, discomfort at bottom of sternum was started.