Urgent Care Expert Forum
Serious?

MEDICAL EMERGENCY- CALL YOUR DR. or 911! This forum is for questions and support regarding urgent care issues such as: Abscess, Angina, Animal Bites, Bronchitis, COPD, Cuts, Flu, Food Poisoning, Heart Attack, Mono, Influenza, Laceration, Nausea, Pneumonia, Rabies, Sports Injuries, Strep.

Serious?

Over the past year I have had light to moderate rectal bleeding each time I passed stool with the odd clot here and there and had a sigmoidoscopy done in April where it showed that I had what looked like sores then was given a cream for it which I used until it was gone (the cream). Since then the bleeding was practically gone, except for the odd dab here and there; but this morning the bleeding was back and heavier than what it had been before with small clots. At first I thought I had gotten my period but it isn't after further investigation. I was also diagnosed with Spina Bifida Oculta back in May and was told it may explain my problems with bowel movements, bleeding, etc.
It probably doesn't help that I had a bowel obstruction removed back in Oct. 04.

Thanks.
Painless blood with bowel movements usually indicated a problem higher up in the rectal canal.  This usually means bleeding hemorrhoids.  External hemorrhoids hurt and internal hemorrhoids cause bleeding.   Hemorrhoid creams that you can get at the store help with the painful external ones, but do nothing to help the internal hemorrhoids.  The new flash is everyone has some degree of hemorrhoids,  if you have persistent bleeding you might want to visit a surgeon.  A surgeon can excise the hemorrhoids (big OUCH), band or staple the hemorrhoids (much of a smaller ouch).  What bothers me is the description of “sores.” Some people have an inflammation of the rectum called proctitis—there several potential causes for this.   Some people can pass blood stools from some conditions called inflammatory bowel, but these people are often distressed with abdominal pain.

Your physician should be able to provide you more of a diagnosis than “sores.”  If not, you need to visit a gastroenterologist who will then likely consider repeating an endoscopy and obtain some biopsies to provide more information.