Urogynecology Expert Forum
Leaking

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Leaking

I had a bladder sling and ablation surgery 2 years ago.  I started leaking shortly after surgery.  Went back to the gyn and he noticed some tissue problem.  Repaired it and I stopped leaking for a couple of days.  I started up again and he said everything is fine.  It has been 2 years and I am still leaking fluid.  I have been to another gyn who did surgery to correct the tissue problem and noticed some of the sling was protruding.  I stopped leaking for a few days and then started up again.  I am still leaking.  I have had a sonogram and there is very little fluid in the uterus.  I have been to a bladder doctor and the bladder is fine.  My gyn wants to do a hysterectomy because she has found andrometriosis on the uterus.  That cannot cause my leaking.  What if I have the hysterectomy and I still leak?  Frustrated beyond belief....
Your main problem sounds like leaking. Keep your doctors focussed on this. If the leaking fluid is clear and watery, this needs to be worked up completely to be sure it is not coming from the bladder. THe workup should include a cystoscopy to look inside the bladder,  and probably also a :"pyridium pad test" to see if the leaking fluid is urine. The pyridium pad test consists of taking pyridium pills, which cause the urine to turn orange in color. If you wear sanitary pads, they will turn orange if there is leakage of urine. If that is the case,  you will probably require urodynamic (bladder) testing to determine if the leakage because of stress (cough, laugh, leak)  or urge (gotta go, cant get to bathroom in time) incontinence. This is important because each is treated differently..I am not sure what you mean by a :"tissue problem", but it appears to be related to your leakage. Could it be that your sling eroded into the vagina and perhaps also into the bladder, and that is where the leakage is coming from? If so, you would need an evaluation by a urogynecologist of female urologist, who should be able to help you diagnose this.

Dr. Hoyte
Is it common for the sling to erode?
A related discussion, monarch bladder sling was started.