Urogynecology Expert Forum
prolapse

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

prolapse

I am a breast cancer survivor and it seems after taking tamoxifen that I am having issues with stress incontinence. I am an athlete and weight train three times a week. I only notice incontinence when sprinting during a game or when I am doing my weights for my abs. I am receiving treatment at Moffitt Cancer Center. I went to lifetime to have tests because of an abnormal pap and was told I had a prolapse 'situation' that was contributing to the read on my pap test. I ask if my insides were going to fall out of my body....had to ask the question because they felt I needed to get to a urologist. One problem, I live in Pinellas and I am on county insurance who do not refer unless it is a life threatening event. Well I was a caregiver for my sister who died of pancreatic cancer, dealt with my own cancer, and the after affects are; can't kick a ball with out peeing my pants(I go through 2 pads), sex is UNCOMFORTable, I tend to not want to work out but do so anyway, and I have this feeling of pressure near the vagina, not to mention backaches. I am a non-smoker, never have been overweight, always worked out, had two normal pregnancies.....gain about 20 pounds for each....except last baby was 9lbs 7oz.,,,,! I do kegels and have been told by the county doctors that I am too old for sports and need to find something else.
Tags: prolapse
I am sorry to read of your problems.  From your description it appears you suffer from Stress Urinary Incontinence and some degree of Pelvic Organ Prolapse.  You can read more about SUI and POP on my web site at www.drjkm.com under Services,  Plano Urogynecology Associates

These conditions are not uncommon and can be treated effectively.   Most patients will require surgery, which carries some limitations.  Most Urogynecologist will not want you lifting heavy objects after the surgery has been done.  This would mean in you case no heavy weight training.  You should be able to go back to running after about 90 days.  

To find a doctor in you area look at:  www.mypelvichealth.org
Thank you for your reply. I have an appointment with a Urogynecology with USF by some miracle that one of the Doctors from Mofftitt was able to set up for me. I will bring the info from you website......at last validation!!

For real? after 90 days I can return to Soccer???
so excited I forgot how to spell.....Moffitt and your website...are incredible resources.
Thank you and good luck.