Urologic Cancers Expert Forum
Hypodense renal mass on CT scan

This forum is for quesitons about: Abdominal Pain, Anemia, Back Pain (lower back), Biopsy, Bone Scan, Bladder Cancer, Blood in Urine, Bone Pain or Tenderness, Colon Cancer, Cystoscopy, Ejaculation Pain, Genetic or Other Markers, Incontinence, IVP, Kidney Cancer, MRI of Abdomen, Penis Cancer, Radiation Therapy, Renal Pelvis Cancer, Renal Scan, Robotic Surgery, Testicular Cancer, Ultrasound, Ureter Cancer, Urinalysis, Urinary Difficulties.

Hypodense renal mass on CT scan

My husband underwent a KUB and a CT scan on Friday to check for a kidney stone (he was having midline lower suprapubic pain and urinalysis showed blood in his urine).  The tests showed that he had mild diverticulitis and colitis, but the CT scan showed what the radiologist termed as a "large hypodense renal mass."  

His doctor was on vacation Friday, so we're still waiting for a call-back, but I'm scared for him.  He's only 46.  Is the term "hypodense" used to describe benign cysts as well?  Every time I have Googled the term mentioned in the CT scan, everything comes up renal cancer.   Thank you.
The term hypodense can be used to describe any lesion that does not enhance well on CT. Enhancement is related to the amount of contrast taken up by the tissue.

Tumors, cystic lesions of the kidney, fat containing tumors , hydronephrosis( swelling of the kidney due to obstruction), infections can all be hypodense.

This answer is not intended and does not substitute for medical advice- the information is for patient education only.

Follow-up with a urologist is essential
Thank you for temporarily easing my mind.  I've worked in healthcare for over 30 years and it's always the "hurry up and wait" that stresses patients out the most - hurry up and get this test and then wait and wait for the results, for an appointment with a specialist, and then finally to find out what is the exact problem.  

I'm relieved to know that the term "hypodense" can represent some things that are less ominous than cancer.   I do worry about that, though, because my husband is a heavy smoker and I know that one of the major causes of renal cancer is smoking.  

We're still waiting for the physician to call us back to schedule the next test.  The physician who saw him in the place of his PCP told us that she would schedule a renal ultrasound next if he was her patient, then make a referral after that.  We shall see.  Again, thank you so much for answering my question.  I'm trying to remain calm now.
A related discussion, kidney lesion was started.
A related discussion, hypodense lesion within kidney was started.