Urologic Cancers Expert Forum
Lump and constant dull pain in left testicle.. PLEASE help.

This forum is for quesitons about: Abdominal Pain, Anemia, Back Pain (lower back), Biopsy, Bone Scan, Bladder Cancer, Blood in Urine, Bone Pain or Tenderness, Colon Cancer, Cystoscopy, Ejaculation Pain, Genetic or Other Markers, Incontinence, IVP, Kidney Cancer, MRI of Abdomen, Penis Cancer, Radiation Therapy, Renal Pelvis Cancer, Renal Scan, Robotic Surgery, Testicular Cancer, Ultrasound, Ureter Cancer, Urinalysis, Urinary Difficulties.

I've been suffering from on and off pain which is coming from a lump in the top of my left testicle.  

I've already been to both a general physician AND a Urologist.  I had a CAT scan of my lower abdomen done and a Sonogram of my lower abdomen.  I DID NOT however get a testicular sonogram done.  When I squeeze the smooth lump on the top of the testicle, it gives the SAME feeling as when I get kicked in that area.  It's up through my left abdomen as well and I even have a little swelling in the left gland in my neck.  Could this be some kind of lymphatic infection??  The doctor felt the lump and said because it was seperate from the testicle, it can't be cancer.  Problem is, the pain is killing me and I no longer have health insurance.  Could this be life threatening?  All my blood work came back OK as well.  They gave me an antibiotic and it helped for a little while, but now it's as bad as it's ever been.  When I run, I also get a really bad dull pain all through my abdomen.  What could this be?  I'm really worried that it's cancer.
Scrotal masses are usually diagnosed based on exam and therefore very difficult to make a determination based on your description.  However, most cancers in the scrotum arise from the testicle and are not "separate" as you describe.  The cancer feels like a hard lump in the testis and is usually painless.  You describe a separate lump on the top portion of the testicle that is tender at times.  It is possible that you could be feeling the head of your epididymis (a gland that wraps around the testis to transport sperm).  Is is common for this gland to get inflammation and cause symptoms.  If the antibiotics helped in the past, this could be the cause.  Also you can form cysts or a spermatocele (both benign) that arise from the epididymis.  If this is infection related, it can follow the blood supply of the testicle up to the abdomen where the testis started during development.  The sensation can be "referred" to the abdomen.
Thanks very much.  That makes me feel alot better.  The strange thing was that it got really painful the day after I got sunburned.  Maybe dehydration can add to the symptoms?  I am pretty confident now that it's an infection and not cancer.  Will a standard antibiotic like amoxicillin work or are there special types for that type of infection?  I only ask because without insurance, I may just have to buy antibiotics.  If you can't give that type of advice, I understand but thanks very much for your help.  I feel MUCH better about this now.