Urology Community
Diluted urine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Diluted urine

I have been having problems with diluted urine. I had to get a drug test for a job and it came back as diluted. Specific gravity was 1.0012. I was asked to retest. I had one glass of water in the morning and had the test in the afternoon. It also came back diluted. Specific gravity 1.002. I went to my doctor to find out if it was a side effect from medicine. She said no and sent me for another urinalysis. It also came back as diluted with a specific gravity of 1.000. I was referred to a kidney specialist who reviewed my results and ordered more lab work and had me do a fasting (food and water) blood and urine test but it all came back normal. What else could cause diluted urine. I am about to loose the job because I can't pass the drug test. I am not trying to cover up or hide anything and the employer won't let me take the blood drug test unless I have a medical diagnosis. Please help!
Thanks for writing to the forum!
“A low specific gravity occurs in three situations.
• In diabetes insipidus, there is an absence or decrease of anti-diuretic hormone. Without anti-diuretic hormone, the kidneys produce an excessive amount of urine, often up to 15 to 20 liters per day with a low specific gravity.
• Glomerulonephritis and pyelonephritis cause a decreased urine volume and low specific gravity. In these diseases, damage to the kidney's tubules affects the ability of the kidney to re-absorb water. As a result, the urine remains dilute.
• The third reason for low specific gravity is renal failure, which results in a fixed specific gravity between 1.007 and 1.010. In renal failure, the remaining functional nephrons undergo compensatory structural and hypertrophic changes. These compensatory changes result in urine that is almost isotonic with plasma.  Therefore, a patient experiencing renal failure will present with specimens measuring the same, or fixed, specific gravity regardless of water intake.
o For example, the first a.m. specimen is the same as the last p.m. specimen.”

Do consult an urologist. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

Refer: http://www.rnceus.com/ua/uasg.html