Urology Community
False Neg. Culture

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

False Neg. Culture

I was told today that a follow-up urine culture performed last week showed no growth but could be a false negative because of recent antibiotic use. I had finished the antibiotic (Cipro) 2 1/2 weeks before giving the urine specimen that was cultured. How can an antibiotic stopped this long ago affect the outcome of a urine culture?  Because I am still having pain on urination, I was given another round of antibiotics to take (different antibiotic and suffering significant side effects).  I always have residual pain that lasts for many weeks after an infection clears, probably due to postmenopausal urogenital atrophy. How do you know when to say "enough" with the antibiotics when you still have dysuria but a negative culture? (The last urinalysis at the GPs office showed red blood cells but no white ones).
Honestly it is possible to have a uti that does not show on the dipstick or cultures, esp. if it is chronic cystitis vs. acute infection.  They may be trying to rule out all possibilities of infection before considering Interstitial Cystitis.  i have IC and am the support group Leader of MOARK IC, here in Missouri.  My URO believes many IC patients are actually misdiagnosed chronic infection patients and will not give an IC diagnosis until fulling trying the long term antibiotics etc.

If you continue to have uti symptoms but not UTI showing etc., and the symptoms do not improve on the antibiotics, then a urologist is usually called to rule out other issues, but IC is usually consider.  If you would like some link etc.on IC you can send me a private message, including a link to the Elmiron site.  They have the IC questionnaire that is used to help diagnosis IC, this will give you an idea of if you possibly have it as well.

Hope your feeling better soon!
Shelly
Thanks for the reply. I will continue the antibiotic (Macrobid) for as long as I can, just in case it is an infection. It does seem to be helping. Cipro is the only antibiotic I can tolerate for more than a few days but it hasn't worked for my last 2 UTIs. I will look for that IC questionaire if this problem continues.