Urology Community
High Creatinine Level?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

High Creatinine Level?

My husband is a diabetic and takes lipitor, metformin & glybride and due to a hospital stay we were informed that he now has high pressure and he is in the beginning of kidney failure because his creatinine level was 5.2. Before we left the hospital the level came down to 4.6 and his blood pressure was down to 145/80. Now taking blood pressure medicine also but was taken off the metformin.  We were told that he will be needing dialysis shortly and he will be a good candidate for a kidney transplant, so we are contact hospitals in philadelphia to be put on a transplant list. We were also informed by the new kidney doctor that his family doctor knew his creatinine level was 2.6 a year and a half ago and we were not informed. He feels that he should have taken him off the metformin as soon as his creatinine level reached that point and sent to a kidney doctor and because he didn't do that my husband has now suffered permanent kidney damage. What are your thoughts on this and do you think that his creatinine level will come down any more? Thank you!

This discussion is related to High Creatinine Levels & Kidney Transplant.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Metformin per se does not cause kidney damage .However since this drug is excreted through the kidneys ,then this should be avoided in persons with known kidney problems as this may decrease excretion of the drug and increase its blood levels.As in your husband's case a creatinine of 2.6 suggests an underlying kidney problem most likely secondary to the diabetes.At that point,his medications could have been modified.

What is your husband's GFR? Would you know?

Elevated creatinine levels for greater than 3 months may suggest chronic renal failure.At this point,his creatinine and GFR need to be evaluated closely.In the presence of permanent kidney damage,the creatinine levels may decrease but probably will not revert back to previously normal levels.It is best to discuss these with your physician.
hi  Betty,

unfortunately  uncontrolled   diabetes  WILL  damage the  kidneys  in the  long  run.
you  can  look up  your  husbands  GFR  here:  http://www.kidney.org/professionals/kdoqi/gfr_calculator.cfm    just  plug in  creatinine  level,  age  and  race.
NKF  will also  guide you as  far as  treatment options.
you  can  also  learn  about  treatment options   and  diet   on  
http://www.kidneyschool.org/mods/

Find  a nephrologist  and  ask  about  seeing  a  dietitian.

Take  care!
I am a male of 39yrs I have creatinine of 1.5 and traces of protein in urine how bad is this to my kidney and what can I do to stop progression
My Bp is high I am using lisinopril 40mg + nifedipin 40mg but sometimes my bp still gets up to 160/110 please what other drugs can I use I am a black afrcan man
HI
Mother age is 50 to 55 she is suffering from kidney disease currently . as far as recent lab test is concern urea levels is 85 and creatine leves is 4.6 . now bp is 110/170 . she is taking bp medication . as far as family history of mother is concern . her 2 brother died from kidney failure . could you please tell me any kind of suggestion for it . what woulb preliminary step for it . please do a favor for me.
my emil id ***@****
I just had a partial kidney removal last Feb. The cancer was contained and I did not have to have chemo. However my creatinine is 1.14. It was 1.15 prior to surgery. My GRF 52 Low and greater than >59 if afrrican-american. LDH is 150 . The range at this labs states that my creatinine should be >59. So can I assume that I have permanent kidney damage?
One more thing, the normal ranger for my kidney Creatinine level should be 0.57-1.0.
Brooke
Hi: I am not sure if this is any help to anyone else, but I am at late stage 4 CKD. I had followed the diet advised and my blood urea nitrogen remained in the 55-60mg/dL range for 2 years with decreasing eGFR. My Nephro suggested trying a protein product some of her other patients were using called HumaPro. It is a complete protein made up of certain ratios of essential amino acids and semi-essential amino acids. I guess its the ratios optimal for people. It claims to have only a 0.1% waste ratio and I have read proteins like whey have a waste of up to 84%. Initially I used 3 servings a day and cut my food protein intke down to 20 grams averge a day. My urea dropped to 36-38mg/dL. Now I use the product as my only protein source for almost a year now and my eGFR is up a few points and staying stable. My blood urea nitrogen is 32 and 30 mg/dL on my last 2 blood tests. My Nephro said it is because I have less waste being made from the protein and I gained 6 pounds that looks more like my old self muscle wise. Does her explanation make sense? I feel better than I have in years. I just want to be sure this is why so I can make the right choices.