Urology Community
Trace blood in urine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Trace blood in urine

I recently went for my annual exam and my urine test came back with trace blood.  They sent it off to the lab and it came back negative for everything except for trace blood. I have no symptoms of a UTI or anything like that. I have been told by several people that this can be normal! But the dr wants me to go to a urologist anyway. I'm racking my brain trying to figure out why there is blood. I'm a healthy 32 yeast old female with bad anxiety over this. I don't have insurance and a cystoscopy apparently costs around $3000 and i don't have the money to go right now.Can trace blood just happen and go
away after awhile? Is it normal?
It honestly can come and go and you can actually test for BLD yourself with the diagnostic test strips "GP Mulistix" by either bayer or siemens (25 tests in one tube) along with nitrates and leucocytes,protein etc
Theres no restrictions on the public buying these - though they are not super cheap (£10- £14 as a guide in the UK as a guide for 25)

Mild Kidney infections can show a trace of blood - see if this is a "one off" then if it contines daily take action according to what you can afford.

If it were me, i'd monitor it a week then elect to see a urologist if it continued to show trace blood over a week and if i found nitrates/leucocytes as well, i'd be more sure it was some kind of infection.
If i noticed a higher than trace of blood  in more than one sample i would go straight to a urolologist.
If you get the multistix strips and see Nitrates and Leucocytes in each self test along with trace blood - you should get another sample sent for culture.

For now perhaps look upon it as just one trace blood result - which can happen to anyone,the anxiety won't help you and i know it can feel quite alaming but this may go as fast as it arrived - I hope it does.
Good Luck!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Blood in the urine can present in one of two ways: gross hematuria (blood that you can see in the urine), and microscopic hematuria (blood that is only seen when the urine is examined under a microscope). Both types can have serious causes. If you are passing different-shaped clots in your stream, they could represent bleeding from the urethra or prostate (in men). Clots can be wormlike, and if associated with pain it could represent clots coming from your ureters(tubes from your kidneys to your bladder).

When the blood in the urine is at the beginning of urination, it most likely comes from the urethra, (the tube from the bladder to the outside). Blood throughout urination is most likely from the bladder or kidneys or ureters (the tubes connecting the kidneys and the bladder).

Diagnostic tests that may be performed include Urinalysis, Urine culture, X-rays of the kidneys, Cystoscopy, IVP, Abdominal ultrasound and CT scan of the abdomen.

The treatment will depend on the cause of the blood in the urine. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Thank you for your comments. I am scheduled to go see a urn/gynecologist on the 28th and hopefully I will be able to get back with some answers.  I ordered some multistix and I think by having those at my fingertips has actually made me a little crazy! Every time I get a trace reading back I go into a bout of, worry.  I'm a bit of a control freak and it bugs me not knowing why this is happening and how I can make it stop. I worry most that there is something serious and it plays in my head non stop....I'm young and healthy and have never had this happen. I had a uti back at the beginning of august that I was on antibiotics for and it went away...wonder if it has anything to do with what's going on now. Or maybe I'm just reaching....who knows! Thanks again for your posts!