Urology Community
Ureteral Stent complications

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Ureteral Stent complications

I was admitted to the hospital the first week of October for a kidney stone which I wasn't able to pass.  A stent was placed for a week to clear any possible infection and to help pass the stone, it didn't pass so earlier this week I was given the wave surgery, Lithrotripsy?, which broke up the stone and was removed with the basket.  

Another stent was placed after that surgery to keep the passage open and prevent infection, it is supposed to remain 10 days until Friday of next week.  

My doctor lacks communication and I've yet to get decent answers to possible complications.  I've had a stent for going on 2-3 weeks now and have another week ahead of me and still don't know much about the possible issues and how to maintain the stent.  I'm trying to increase my fluid intake but it is to the point I'm drinking so much I am losing a lot of sleep and by asking this am hoping to rest my mind a bit until it is taken out next week so I can actually get some rest.

I've been told, not by a doctor but someone I trust, that impotence and erectile disfunction is a possible long-term side effect even after stent removal..?  Other than the standard discomfort, light bleeding/puss and frequent urination, what are realistic "serious complications" of a stent and how much water should I be drinking?
    How are you? Ureteral stents are thin catheters threaded into segments of the ureter that carry urine, produced by the kidney, either down into the bladder internally, or to an external collection system. Insertion is most often done through the skin (percutaneously); however, in the presence of kidney or ureteral stones, stenting is ideally done during cystoscopy. Although ureteral stenting is undoubtedly an important procedure for the release of ureteral obstruction, the indications for stent insertion should be carefully considered in each patient.
A stent can remain inside the ureter for about 3 months. In case the patient has severe bleeding or dispositioned stent or recurrent infections then change of stent or removal of stent can be considered. But longer indwelling stents are associated with an increasing frequency of incrustation, infections, secondary stone formation and obstruction of the stented tract.
There is no chance of impotence or erectile dysfunction due to  presence of stent, because a stent is placed in the ureter which lands in the bladder, followed by urethra. The tract through which semen passes is completely different from the urinary tract. The place where both these tracts join is much below the ureter. So, don't worry.
It would be appropriate to take around 3-4 litres of water per day.
Consult your urologist if bleeding and pain is severe.
Take care.
Thank you very much for the prompt response and specific info.. It is nice to hear erectile dysfunction isn't a long-term concern, and to have an estimate on water intake!
Do not believe the comment that erectile dysfunction & impotence can not occur thru a ureteral stent.!
I was a 38 year old pretty healthy male with a satisfactory sex life,no ED nor impotence.
I had kidney stones in Nov.06 & a ureteral stent implanted for less
than a week by a urologist in the hospital.
I was under severe pain in the hospital & under heavy medication.
I was never told that ED & impotence was a side effect, but 2 years later experiencing ED & not to mention a crooked penis from the stent being inserted thru the penis. ( not kidding ).
I am now considering asking my family physician to put me on viagara.
My family physician was on vacation at the time I was in the hospital, so I don't know if I ever really needed a stent to begin with.
I am convinced the hospital urologist on duty saw good insurance to bill.....email if you want more details
Thanks,
Lam

My father is a prostate cancer patient. He has undergone orchidactomy, TURP and Brachytherapy. A doctor at  a hospital in Bangkok without ever informing my father what the possible side effects of Zometa (bone pain relieving medication) could be administered it to my father. He was 74 years old. My father suffered renal failure, had to undergo dialysis and then had a ureteral stent  inserted. He already underwent a replacement of the first stent. However, he has been passing a lot of blood in his urine. He will be going for blood transfusion due to him becoming anemic. What can be done to reduce the blood loss through his urine?
when i was 7 months pregnant with my daughter i had to have a stent put in for a kidney stone i couldnt pass it was supposed to remain in till after she was born but my daughter is now 8 months old and the dr that put it in refuses to take it out its been in so long that its going to be extremely difficult to take out if its still even a possibility worse case there going to have to take my kidney out to get the stent
Hi I was wondering if anyone had done lately like this yr.2010 .......I have been reading all of the coments an they are a couple of yrs ago. Just seeing if anyone had it done within a yr.
  I instantly had a Sharp pain in my back followed by Major cramps. Then after they took the stone out an pit the sent in. The Dr informed me that the sent would be taken out in 2 weeks. Well I left the hospital an couldn't hardly get out of bed. Nausea set in sever pain to the point of doubling over. Passing blood clots constantly some the size of dimes. I call the urologist an they said he doesn't really take them out in the office any more. But they would ask the Dr if these symptoms were normal. The Dr of coarse says yes an says I can come in an have it taken out a week an a few days early. An he would do it in the office. Right after the nurse told me they don't do them in the office. So tomorrow morning I will have it removed. Hopefully the pain will stop when its out with no horror stories.
I'll lets ya know.
Betty
I just had a stent put in Sat-4-Sept-2010. My sonic rock crush on Thrs-2-Sept-2010 didn't work on a 5x9 ureteral stone. The cysto was quite mutilating (i'm sure superficially), it left me with a very irritating blood squirting cath setup. My bladder still spazzes.
I just had a stint put in on the 14th of sept. 2010 and have had unbearable pain on my left side where it was placed. Like sharp pains you would have while on your menstrual  cycle, but times 50! I have had an excessive amount of blood in my urine as well and numbness down my left leg...does anyone know if this is normal after this procedure. I ask my doctor questions and he doesn't make any sense!  Also I am taking vicodin but it doesn't seem to be helping is there something that helps a bit more?
My wife had a urethral stent put in to relieve pressure after having a kidney stone, 17 hrs later she was taken to ER, now she lies between life and death with a severe case of ards
My husband is 58 yrs old and had stones on both sides removed with laser last Thurs under general anesthesia.  He has a stone on the left removed 6 years ago transurethrally with no stent.  He has two stents now and has had a lot of post op pain which is positional.  He had a lot of blood the day of surgery and one after.  He called the Dr. the same day of surgery and was given an Rx for Peridium- a urinary tract analgesic that makes the urine orange.  He also got a med similar to Flomax (don't have the med in front of me) which is what they give men for enlarged prostates to help them urinate.  He is unhappy about the stent being removed in office with just pre med at home of Xanax.  He has pain meds (PO Dilaudid) and said he plans to take it before we go to the office.  I say whatever he needs to control pain.  I hope there is a string on the stents.  No one mentioned it.  I don't agree with not having pain meds plus whatever before getting the stint removed.  That is inexcusable. I'd change doctors.  We didn't know about the stents till we got to the pre-op.  I would have done a search had I known.  Hope this info helps.
I am a 28 yr old female who has passed 11 or so kidney stones in the last 10 years.

However, 4 days ago I had to be admitted to the OR to have an 8mm stone removed as it was too big to pass on it's own.

I now have a ureteral stent in place. The pain is simply unbareable! I am also having a lot of blood and blood clots in my urine. The doctors gave me Loretab 7.5 that I'm supposed to take 2 of every 4 hours. This is not helping the pain much. I've been in bed since the stone was removed. I must let you know I have not had any vomiting or fever but the pain was so intense it caused nausea. I went to my urologist b/c I was so concerned. They said I developed renal colic and gave me Rapaflo(same as Flomax) to help the urine flow better. This has happened but still have same pain!

I'm having the stent removed in 3 days. I'm really hoping the pain and bleeding stops after it's out.

:( this is no way to live! :( Also, my doctors did not inform me of the recovery process.
Had the stent removed and had almost instant relief! If anyone is scared to have your stent removed, have no fear! It's not bad.
I will tell you that I did take 3 7.5 Lortab. I know that's a little much but I'm glad I did b/c my doctor didn't numb the area or give me anything for pain. I can imagine there may have been pain if i didn't dose myself pryor but I felt little to none.

I will give you my best description of the feeling I DID expierence...it's weird and gross but I felt like 2 seconds of feeling like I was throwing up backwards. Throwing down I guess. It was the sensation of loosing your stomach downward.

Kind of weird and sorry if nobody even asked for this info, but I just wanted to put some folks at ease who may be scared 'cause I know I was.
Way easier than I imagined. However I was just informed my dr. wants to remove the stones from my left kidney in 2 weeks and I have to go through the whole stupid process again. Blaaah. :(- lame.

Goodluck to all in your stent adventures!
I had a ureteral stent placed on 3/4/11 and have been experiencing pain so severe that no pain reliever ( Lortab ) will help. I have a HX over the years of large kidney stones that had to be removed surgically. I have Hydronephrosis of  my right kidney which is the reason for the stent placement. Two years ago, the same procedure landed me in the hospital for 4 days. I am a 47 year old mother with 5 children. This pain is worse than the birth of any of my children. As I lay here crying in pain, I am debating a trip to the ER for some much needed pain relief but am scared I will be admitted again. I am glad to read that others have also experienced the same post stent insertion pain and that its not all in my head. Good luck to everyone here .
Friday 04/29/11 I was eager to enjoy my first trip from home in quite sometime, even though it was just a conference for my job. However, after the end of the first day, I was starting to get a sharp pain in my (L) lower flank. Rather unpleasant night in hotel followed. The next morning I drove myself to the local ER hoping that it would be just precaution and the problem resolved. Nope ... 3 hours later I left after a dose of Toradol, an Rx for 5 mg Lortab, and a CT scan confirmed my first kidney stone.

Got home (the conference was only 2 hours away in a different part of the state), felt good until that night ending up in the local ER where they too gave me Toradol, a Rx for 7.5 mg Lortab, a CT reconfirmed a kidney stone, and a referral to a urologist.

Monday arrives -- told I must see my internist first (which my insurance company said "uh, no ... not needed"). Saw him Tuesday. Couldn't get to urologist until the following Monday. Back in ER Wednesday night/Thursday morning with unbearable pain -- again Toradol, CT but this time 10 mg Perocet and a pushed up visit with the urologist for Friday.

Now a week from symptom onset, see the urologist finally and he offers to bring me into day surgery that day ... at 13:30 had a stent inserted.

Pain was MUCH improved, though I had 10 - 15" urinary urgency, and if I waited more than 10s, I got a pain feeling like the stent was being pushed out.

For the ED folks, I did "take matters in my own hands" to see if everything worked, it did ... but curiously with no ejaculate. (Which, from what I've read is supposed to be impossible as the sperm ducts and urethra meet well below the stent.)

Underwent lithotripsy the following Tuesday (05/10) under sedation. No discomfort before/during/after.

Returned home with an appointment two weeks later for anticipated stent removal.

About a week later (Thursday), started running low-/mid-grade fever (99.5 - 101). Urologist gets me in the next day. X-ray reveals the lithotripsy obliterated the stone so preps me for the stent removal right then. (I was given local lidocaine, after which I informed the nurse to update her warning it would burn "slightly.") Stent was removed with no real pain other than the odd feeling of having something pulled out of a place where that usually doesn't happen!

Home that day feeling pretty good ... until that night. Fever now 102. Called doc on call, who called ER to get me a dose of IV antibiotic. (No one warned me it would be 3 doses and take three hours!) I'm also now curious what sort of infection the stent ostensibly caused that would prompt the urologist to order Gentamicin, a nephrotoxic medication?

That was yesterday ... so far today ... no fever. Most all pain gone.
Fingers crossed that it is over.
I had a stent inserted following a lithotripsy on May 25, 2011.  I have had 3 lithotripsies to date and 3 stents.  With the first stent I had to keep returning to the emergency room to have it trimmed and reinserted.  It kept creeping out of my urethra.  (I am female)  This basically was like having a little tiny hose dangling from your bladder to the outside of your body.  Not much fun.  In the ER they would use a straight line cath to force the stent back into my bladder.  This happened about 4 times with that one stupid stent.  The others have been less remarkable.

I have a kidney disorder called Medullary Sponge Kidneys and I produce kidney stones like I'm a rock factory.  The one they blasted the other day was 19 mm.  So far, this stent is staying where it belongs.  The only problem is it causes a great deal of pain every time I drain my bladder.

As I recall the removal of the stent is not pleasant.  It is not the worst experience I have ever had but it was a little painful.  One of my stents ended up being in me for nearly 3 months and I think it was becoming encrusted or something, it really hurt when it was being removed.  The others didn't hurt a lot.  They pull the thing out pretty quickly to limit the pain you experience.

Just remember it is better than getting an infection and that is what would happen if they didn't use the stent. (probably)
i (male 47) had a stent placed 23 days ago after they removed a stone. I had severe pain since the first day. It got worse as i moved around. I had to stay in bed several days until the pain subsided. I also had extreme body weakness, like when you catch a cold but 5 times more intense. Eventually I was able to walk again slowly. However, the symptoms came back once again more severe after i walked around a further distance. This time I had to stay in bed constantly until they removed it (10 days later). I live by myself. I could not take care of myself anymore. I had to ask a family member to fly over.  My doctor did not inform me of the possible side effects. I kept going back to the hospital emergency and the urologist that was on call could not detect anything wrong. This is inhumane. No body should have to go through this experience. This stents are very dangerous. They affect everyone differently. They do not prepare you. I don't even think they are aware of the possible consequences.
My dr left a stent in me 5and a half months.it hurts so bad and today i found out he cant remove it it has crystalized.i begged him to take it out months ago he never did a exam on any visits and inored the pain iam still in.iam scared.i have to go to little rock where hopefully they do something to help me.
I had a stent removed on Monday and Tuesday I was in the ER with massive bladder spasms and bladder infection type symptoms, I stayed overnight and was feeling good on Wednesday when they released me. They found a bacteria in my urine and I went home with macrobid. Today is Saturday and I am still having bladder infection
Feelings. Is this normal? Am I just swollen and inflamed? I'm really worried that it has gone on this long.
i was diagnosed with kidney stones back in 2008 since then i"ve had two lithrotripsey , the first one without laser the second one with laser. as a result of the laser, i developed scar tissue whish has caused stricture, i had been repeatedly having procedures to prevent stenosis which  in turn causes hydronephrosis. now it has become difficult to insert the stent because of the narrowing. the pain is ongoing and becomming progressively worst and my creanine is above 1.7 with the stent . what can i do next to alleviate the pain and improve my kidney function? i also have decreased urinary flow on my right uretha.
I can sympathize with everyone on here. I have a stent in place right now. I've had it for 4 weeks and it is coming out on Friday. I couldn't be happier. I had two 7 mill. stones removed. One was still in my kidney and the other has somehow traveled 3 inches. This was beyond pain, agony might be a better word. I spent 4 days in the hospital there after...only because the morphine (that didn't help the pain) cause my lungs some issues. This stent is horrible. I have nothing but blinding pain. My urologist wanted to take the stent out in the office, and after doing some reading...for how long I've had it, I said NO WAY. I am going to have it done as a surgery. With the amount of pain that I am in now, I can't believe digging around in my bladder with a scope is going to be all that painless. Not to mention that the nurses that are in my urologists office gave be crap about needing pain pills. One nurse, told me I didn't need to take the pain pills back to back, rather angerily I said "How would you know??" and she hung up on me. Unreal. Good luck to everyone, and stay away from the spinach and chinese peanut sauce...yeah this is some new information I read about what causes calcium type of stones. lol... I've got a pretty long list of things I'm not supposed to eat, or eat in moderation. Anyone else have a list?
please can u tell me my husband is 54 years old and has addisons disease was admitted to hospital last night in extreme pain in bladder has severe kidney infection having stent put intoday kidney very large and inflamedwhat side effects can this have and how dangerous
Interesting question and I have what I personally consider a life changing side affect after a stent placement.
I can no longer ejaculate during sex and masturbation. Since I have not yet fathered children I am very upset by this. My stent has not yet been removed, but if after it is I can no longer ejaculate this problem will have to be addressed.
At this point in time I find myself extremely distressed by this development. If this condition needs further additional surgery or can not be repaired I will be left in a very unwanted condition.
My doctors told me i could remove my stent at home today so i did and the cramps i had with it in pretty much tripled in pain even after i took double the pain killers they prescribed me. I've also been urinating a lot of blood since the day they put it in(6 days ago) and this morning the urine turned from a red color to a dark brown color(possibly from yellow urine mixing with blood?) One of the urologists told me it was normal but i feel like there's way to much blood. Ill post again when i find out whats wrong. hopefully the bleeding and pain is not a sign of severe damage to the ureter. Also a few days after the surgery one of my fingers went numb on my right hand, just wanted to mention that cause i saw a post that said one of the persons legs went numb. Maybe a rare symptom of something. I also wanted to mention calcium will produce hard deposits of stones on the part of the stent that is inside the kidney if the stent is in there for a long period of time. This can cause severe pain when taking it out and the deposits could become big enough to where the stent might not be able to be taken out. It's a thing to think about if the doctor wants the stent in for 3+ months.        
My 26 year old son just had his ureteral stent removed (with string) in the office yesterday with no lidocaine or instructions to pre-medicate.  Although I didn't hear it in the waiting room he said he screamed it was so painful.  He took a Vicodin when he came out of the procedure and by the time we got back to his home he was in excruciating pain.  The MD didn't return phone call so I had to take him to the emergency room.  Thankfully the ER doc gave him IV Dilaudid and sent him home with some PO Dilaudid.  He had to take it a couple of times yesterday and again this morning from the pain.  What is with these doctors and their lack of compassion and forsight with the pain?  Is this going to get any better for him?  Anyone know?
Had a stent removed today after lithotripsy last week. Have had previous stents. They have always eased the kidney stone pain. All stents caused pain when I urinate in my groin and kidney. Also must be near a bathroom because I generally have a 2 hour window where I need to go asap. All previously removed under sedation. This one was was just a local and it was god awful. I was literally convulsing in pain. It took 10 minutes because the first scope couldn't grasp the stent. I will never ever have this done again in the office.
I'm adding my experience simply to provide more data for those coming here. I'm 45 yr old male w/extensive urological hx.  I required a ruteral stent on 6/6/12 due to Keratinizing Squamous Metaplasia (imagine chronic stones made of dense keratine). Primarily impacting bladder & ureter. It has been 2 weeks & I'm feeling relatively normal again. I feel more discomfort than pain in the kidnry when urinating (sort of a brief suctioning). I had a fathered for first 5 days. A bit of pain and discomfort - best described as being acutely aware of the stent. The catheter came out, and each day after I could do more, and felt less pain. I read a lot of horror stories online the day after I got this, and felt I should provide a positive experience as well. It was no more painful than I'd expect and, as I said, it was more odd discomfort than pain. This is of course likely due to my having an rx for pain. I would rather have this stent than EVER go back to ER with a blockage. Also of note: I have only one kidney (since mid 90's).
I have had a uretal stent in place for about a month now due to a very large 7mm stone not being able to be initially treated. They tried to get the wire and stent up through my urethra but couldnt get around it and there was some damage done to my ureter. So had to have a naphrostemy tube put in. After a week they were able to get the stent in through the naphrostemy tube. After another week, went back up my urethra to try to zap the stone and were successful. Stent in place for an additional 2 weeks during which time I have been basically homebound as I cannot do much walking without it really hurting. Drinking some wine in the evening helps, believe it or not! I cannot take heavy pain pills as they make me sick. So now the naphrostemy tube is out and I am expecting to have the stent removed (in the doctors office!) in a few days. After reading most of these posts, I'm starting to get scared that this isn't going to be fun at all! Should I tell him I want to be sedated and have this taken out in the hospital? I've been through too much pain, blood, spasms, etc. for almost 2 months to be able to endure much more of this!
I went to the ER on July 6th for severe pain in right kidney. I had elevated white blood count, fever and was given CT scans with and without contrast that showed no stones. My kidney was enlarged, which is why I was in pain to start with. I spent the night in hospital and went home next day not knowing why my kidney was enlarged. I went for Renogram with Pharmacy-MNM, which showed both kidneys function properly and no blockage. I went for follow-up with Dr that I inquired through my ER visit. He said he needed to go up through my bladder to see if I had blockage not visible with all the tests that I had and to see if I maybe had a tumor. Not sure why a tumor wouldn't show up on any of the test, but was told if he saw blockage, he would insert a stent. He never explained any side effects to me and as far as I knew, it was only going to be inserted if he saw blockage. Dr informed me that he saw no blockage, but inserted the stent anyway! I wasn't happy with that but thought he knew what he was doing. I bleed heavily, urinated every 20 minutes and experienced pain with fever immediately. Called his office and was told that it was normal and to just take pain killers. I ended up in ER two days after that and was told I have an infection due to the stent not being sterile at the time of insertion. I have been experiencing abdominal pain, pain where the stent is located upon touching the area, urination with blood ever since, but they can't remove it now because of infection. Needless to say, I'm not happy with this doctor for putting me through all of this for no reason, as I had no blockage, no stones, etc. Next time, I will think twice before trusting a doctor who is just looking to make some money from my insurance company at my expense.
I can totally relate to your experience.  I've had my stint in for a year and a half. and now he's says I will have to have surgery to remove it.  I will never let anyone do this to me again.
I had a 5mm stone removed in outpatient same day surgery last Thursday. Monday I went in office to have the stent removed. I did feel better right away but slowly and steadily my right side (where the stone was) started cramping something fierce! By the time I got home I was in agony. Doc said to use a heating pad, and that made it worse.  2 Vicodin and 6 Advil later I was able to function again. Next morning it happened all over again.  Couldn't go into work. Today, 3rd day after stent removal and the pain is unbearable! No work today either. I cannot live on Vicodin. Lab results aren't back yet, but I think the right kidney is infected thus causing the sensitivity and cramping.  Part of me wishes I'd have kept the stone in! Plus the stress of all this seems to have started my period 10 days early. At least I hope that's why. the fact that the Vicodin does have an effect on it is good, no?
I'm 19 and had my first kidney stone about 5 weeks back while I was on vacation in California. Apparently I only had a 2mm stone but it caused an excruciating amount of pain that sent me to the ER twice and resulted with me needing surgery as the stone became stuck and was causing a severe infection. After surgery when the stent was inserted I immediately felt relief no more nausea or pain however the stent itself was quite uncomfortable and the first few times I needed to pee it really burned however this seemed to diminish after awhile.

The one real complication that I had was the night before I was suppose to have my stent removed I accidentally pulled on it enough to dislodge it a bit but not enough to completely pull it out. This made me urinate uncontrollably and I was really scared and ended up just having to wait until the next day when I saw the urologist.

So far after stent removal I have had no real problems except for yesterday when I went to my doctor and they did a urine test and they said they think I have an infection again. They also said I had glucose (sugar) in my urine which does worry me but I don't know if this could be a result from having another infection? Because my blood sugar was perfectly normal when I was with the doctor.
Dunno where you got your doctorate, but "There is no chance of impotence or erectile dysfunction due to  presence of stent, because a stent is placed in the ureter which lands in the bladder, followed by urethra. The tract through which semen passes is completely different from the urinary tract. The place where both these tracts join is much below the ureter. So, don't worry. " is plain not true. My husband had his stent removed a week ago. He cannot get an erection for longer than a couple of minutes. Explain that?
I had a pyleoplasty done on Dec 12, 2012.  That means I had an obstruction in my uterer.  Because there was a main artery right over the obstruction they had to cut me open 9 inches. They place the stent from kidney through uterer to bladder.  I spent 4 days in the hospital.  The 1st 2 weeks I sat in a chair to recovery.  Once I got up and started going to the restroom I noticed pain.  Felt like I had a UTI x100!!!  My stent does not come out until the middle of next week.  I can feel the stent, it feels as if it has moved down further. I am on pyridium to ease the urine pain and vicodin for the actual surgery pain.  I cannot walk very far before I have to sit down.  I won't even go to town.  This has been one miserable surgery/recovery!!
Hi everyone Nicola here well had stent fitted 9th Jan 2013 its been 2 weeks and I must say the worse 2 weeks of my life. I have given birth twice but this pain beats it hands down. Been to a&e today as mprphine was not helping, they said I now have an infection due to my body  trying to reject the stent I am taking paracetamol tramadol diclofenac and morphine and oxibutinin for bladder spasms  I cannot wait to get the 2nd op to remove stent and stone as this is just like slow torture xx
I was diagnosed with a 7mm stone in February 2013, give me pain meds and told to go home. Returned to the ER again 2 weeks later as i was literally crippled and they did another CT scan and it showed it moved downwards. Was admitted to the hospital, 4 days later i was transferred to another hospital 2 hours away so a urologist could blast it out with lasers. The urologist spoke to me and told me about the procedure. 2 days later i had the operation, after coming thru 2 nurses said they couldn't find the stone...??? I decided that morning to discharge myself out even tho i was in intense pain. 4 weeks later after dealing with blood clots, urinating blood and constant pain in the groin region and kidney area i had another appointment with a different urologist and had a another CT scan done a few days before hand tells me the reason I am having difficulties and complications is due to a urinary stent.  THIS IS NEWS TO ME AS NO ONE TOLD ME THEY HAD PUT ONE IN MY BODY. I almost lost it at the urologist's office at the thought that they would do this without my knowledge or consent. On Tuesday of this week i will be having it removed and have made formal complaints to the hospital and other proper venues regarding this matter.
I need help!! I am a 31 year old mother of 3 boys, and i was diagnosed after several trips to the ER with a 5mm kidney stone. After finding a urologist the next day, he decided to remove it through shock wave therapy. After the procedure, he informed me that the stone disappeared, and he was unsure if it had ever actually been a stone. He put a stint in during the surgery because my right kidney has a huge obstruction and swollen because of urine backup. Later that night I had to go back to the ER and have the stint removed because it had fallen due to the massive size of my kidney, and let me just say, the pain was unbearable!
They decided to put a nephrostophy tube in to drain my kidney so that it can heal. Well, 2 weeks later, I'm back in the ER because it stops draining and there is fluid buildup in another part of my kidney, so they put a drain tube in to drain that part, now I have 2 tubes coming out of my back for my right kidney. I go in yesterday to hopefully get a stint put in so I can have one of these tubes removed, and of course I'm told when I wake up that it could not be done as something's twisted.
I'm in severe pain daily, and I'm worried my doctors do not know how to deal with this. I have to be put under at least every 4 days to have my tubes replaced, and I still don't have any answers to what's causing my kidneys not to drain.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
has anyone had leg pains with a kidney stent in place, it is a bit like cramp  and then it just aches and aches, pain killers do not help and I am getting so depressed because of the pain. If anyone can tell me what to do I would be grateful. I have had laser treatment for kidney stones and have had one stent placed for 3 months, one for 6 months taken out on 23rd August, and replace with another stent, hopefully this will be removed at the end of September. 2013
Yes, I do have pain in my leg. I have had three stents in my right side ureterale since March. It's been seven months now. The last time the stent was replaced the urologist told me that it had been much more easier to insert and that this was a good sign. I will have a CT scan in about 4 weeks and if all goes well the stent should be removed early in November.

I realize that the ureterale stent experience is quite different for each individual. By experience I mean "pain". I deal with my pain with dilaudid 1-2 mg every 4-6 hours. Acupuncture, méditation, relaxation sessions are a great help to reduce pain for me. But overall I think it is very important to remain positive at all time. I truly believe that my attitude and the way I think about the stent and its purpose have a direct affect on the gravity of the pain I actually feel.

I visualise the stent in my ureterale helping my body
I have a kidney stent and I would love to chat with u about it, I have had a lot of pain.anyone that can tell me about a kidney stent,please email me, twyla_lindsey***@****, this has been the worse 2 months of my life.please help
Just had a 7.5mm stone lasered that lodged in my ureter.  The stent was replaced.  Was told to remove the stent today which I did.  The worst part of removing it is the anticipation.  The removal felt like sort of like a tampon removal.  I am in pain right now though.  I don't think my kidney liked that.  2 pain pills and a heating pad and I'm still in pain.  Hopefully this passes quickly.
Yes, I have a massive leg pain that will not let me do anything. It is like having a wooden leg that will not obey you. had painkillers, but in vain. by the way, I have had a stent for 3and a half months and tomorrow should have it removed with local anaesthetic. have not had any problems while I had my stent. good luck!
This is not the first stent I have had, but it is the first to cause so much discomfort and pain. This is the 5th time around and for me each time has been different. Usually I don't feel them at all, but this time it's on the opposite side and all I think is " get this thing out of me now". But I'm having surgery tomorrow to have a 2 1/2cm stone removed.  All I can think now is "please don't put in another and if u do let me not have this pain and discomfort".
I just went today to have my stent removed. And it really wasn't all that bad it was in for 15 days I was in alot of pain and nausea the whole time ...feeling a little cramping and burning when I go to the bathroom but other than that I feel 85% better today ...my secret is relax take xanax before you go and just breath it really does help ....