Urology Community
Urine retention

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Urine retention

I have urine retention and can't empty my bladder.  I'm withholding 2 Liters of urine in my bladder and I have no urge to empty the bladder.  I have had MRI, blood test, urine dynamics testing, and other urine retention tests.  I still don't have a diagnosis yet and I've been working with 2 different Urologist.  Can you give me some idea what the problem is and how to solve the problem.  I wore a leg catheter for 3 weeks because I couldn't urinate on my own.  Now I'm doing self catheterization which is better than the leg bag.
Hi, I had a similar problem and was diagnosed with a neurogenic bladder in 1996. Since than I have been using self catheterization to ensure that my bladder was emptied. Not doing so resulted in UTI, kidney infections. I have little control over my bladder sphyncters not relaxing when they should.
Currently I have a suprapubic catheter due to a fistula between my prostate and rectum.
I too must say that the self catheterization is preferred over an indwelling catheter.

All the best.

Ron
The causes of urinary blockage are urinary obstruction like in prostate enlargement, scar tissue, injury (as in a car wreck or bad fall), blood clots, infection, tumors in the pelvic region, and stones; nerve problem, infection and surgery. A weak bladder muscle, chronic obstruction, and nerve diseases or injury all can contribute to chronic urinary retention.

Please discuss these possibilities with your urologist and check which ones have been ruled out in your case. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.