Urology Community
catheter irritation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

catheter irritation

slight redness and irritation on tip of penis where catheter enters

I'm all to familiar with that. About 3.5 years ago I had a Foley in through the penis for just over a year. I got to be sore at times from the friction of the catheter inside the meatus.
There were a couple of things that I did that helped for me. Since the problem is due to motion, it is imprtant to imobilize the catheter and penis. I have made an elastic strap that holds the catheter to my thigh. I also used tight fitting underwear or an atlethic supporter.

To deal with direct treatment of the irritation, I had my doctor prescribe me Xylocaine jelly or cream. The jelly comes in a 2% strenght and the cream is 5%. I also used Bactotrim (not sure about the spelling) antibiotic cream to keep things from getting infected.

At evening around the house I wore a bathrobe which made less contact and movement of the catheter.

After about a year, the urologist suggested a temporary suprapubic catheter. This ended up not be as temporary as I had hoped. I might have to live the rest of my life with this condtion. Surgery was discussed but did not offer much in the form of relief. Had I known that the suprapubic was going to be long term or permanent, I never would have agreed to it. As much as I can live with it, due to cramping and spasms, I hate it. There really are not any options here as my case is complex.
If your urologist suggests something else, get yourself informed very well before agreeing to anything. I wish that I had done that, but I believed that the urologist knew best.

Should you also have a problem with bladder spasms, Buscopan works OK. For more severe pain, I use Morphine tabs.

All the best,

rmprdlr

All the best,

rmprdlr
Avatar n tn

Many thanks for your reply, I found it to be most informitive and appreciate your response. This certainly answers my question.

Again, many thanks.

Kindest regards

Den49