Urology Community
catheter irritation
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

catheter irritation

slight redness and irritation on tip of penis where catheter enters
Blank
647273_tn?1292094741
Hi,

I'm all to familiar with that. About 3.5 years ago I had a Foley in through the penis for just over a year. I got to be sore at times from the friction of the catheter inside the meatus.
There were a couple of things that I did that helped for me. Since the problem is due to motion, it is imprtant to imobilize the catheter and penis. I have made an elastic strap that holds the catheter to my thigh. I also used tight fitting underwear or an atlethic supporter.

To deal with direct treatment of the irritation, I had my doctor prescribe me Xylocaine jelly or cream. The jelly comes in a 2% strenght and the cream is 5%. I also used Bactotrim (not sure about the spelling) antibiotic cream to keep things from getting infected.

At evening around the house I wore a bathrobe which made less contact and movement of the catheter.

After about a year, the urologist suggested a temporary suprapubic catheter. This ended up not be as temporary as I had hoped. I might have to live the rest of my life with this condtion. Surgery was discussed but did not offer much in the form of relief. Had I known that the suprapubic was going to be long term or permanent, I never would have agreed to it. As much as I can live with it, due to cramping and spasms, I hate it. There really are not any options here as my case is complex.
If your urologist suggests something else, get yourself informed very well before agreeing to anything. I wish that I had done that, but I believed that the urologist knew best.

Should you also have a problem with bladder spasms, Buscopan works OK. For more severe pain, I use Morphine tabs.

All the best,

rmprdlr
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
647273_tn?1292094741
Hi,

I'm all to familiar with that. About 3.5 years ago I had a Foley in through the penis for just over a year. I got to be sore at times from the friction of the catheter inside the meatus.
There were a couple of things that I did that helped for me. Since the problem is due to motion, it is imprtant to imobilize the catheter and penis. I have made an elastic strap that holds the catheter to my thigh. I also used tight fitting underwear or an atlethic supporter.

To deal with direct treatment of the irritation, I had my doctor prescribe me Xylocaine jelly or cream. The jelly comes in a 2% strenght and the cream is 5%. I also used Bactotrim (not sure about the spelling) antibiotic cream to keep things from getting infected.

At evening around the house I wore a bathrobe which made less contact and movement of the catheter.

After about a year, the urologist suggested a temporary suprapubic catheter. This ended up not be as temporary as I had hoped. I might have to live the rest of my life with this condtion. Surgery was discussed but did not offer much in the form of relief. Had I known that the suprapubic was going to be long term or permanent, I never would have agreed to it. As much as I can live with it, due to cramping and spasms, I hate it. There really are not any options here as my case is complex.
If your urologist suggests something else, get yourself informed very well before agreeing to anything. I wish that I had done that, but I believed that the urologist knew best.

Should you also have a problem with bladder spasms, Buscopan works OK. For more severe pain, I use Morphine tabs.

All the best,

rmprdlr
Blank

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply, I found it to be most informitive and appreciate your response. This certainly answers my question.

Again, many thanks.

Kindest regards

Den49
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Urology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity