Urology Community
neurogenic bladder

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

neurogenic bladder

My wife is a 36 y/o female.In 2002 she had a spinal laminectomy of L-3 L-4 L-5 during her surgery the nerve to her bladder was cut. The Dr. refered her to a urologist without telling us we`ve gone through the self cathing to a permenant foley, Now to a supra pubic cath but because of all her infections she gets it changed bi-weekly and uses hypo-allergenic catheters. My question is there any new proceedures or is this it???  Thank you.
      how are you? Bladder control is maintained by both central and peripheral nervous system. Peripheral nervous system means the spinal cord and its nerves. If those nerves are damaged patient can experience incontinence or retention of urine depending on the kind of damage.

Coming to the type of urinary catheters they are self catheterisation,foley's or indwelling catheters and suprpubis cystostomy. Of all these self catheterisation has less chances of bacteriuria.

Other methods of relieving urinary retention are pelvic exercises, training the urinary bladder and electrostimulation of the bladder. However outcome from these methods is not that satisfactory.

Consult your urologist for further information.
Bye.
I am a 43 year old female that was diagnosed with a neurogenic bladder 12 years ago , after the birth of my second son. If your wife would like to talk with someone in her similar situation, I would be happy to lend some support!
I am a 53-year-old female with a neurogenic bladder.  I have a wonderful urologist who did not want me to be tied down with self-cateratization for the rest of my life.  He suggested a Medtronic "bladder pacemaker."  While you go through a short trial period to see if it will work, and then have surgery to implant it, it works like a charm.  Getting there was a bit rocky, but I am thankful for the device.  Good luck.  Will gladly reveal a bit more if needed.

I'm a male here with a neurogenic bladder. From 1994 up to 2008, I used to self cath several times a day to ensure that the bladder was emptied completely.
In March of 2008, I ended up in our local hospital with a bad kidney infection. I was there for over a week and noticed that I was passing gas though the penis and catheter.
My urologist how was treating me for ED did a cystoscopy and confirmed that I have a fistula between my prostate and rectum.
The urologist believes that it is the result of self catheterization and that I created the hole.
At first he spoke about an extensive surgery to repair the fistula. Now he has changed his mind since he feels that I will end up with another fistula once I return to self catheterization.
He now feels that a repair with urinary divertion is the better option and that the previous surgery is no longer considered.
Since I have neurological problems (hereditary neuropathy), I am somewhat afraid that a urinary divertion might create new issues. In the now suggested surgery the outlet to the prostate will be closed and a dry stoma will be made on the abdominal wall.
As it is with the suprapubic catheter in, I experience daily pain and discomfort from bladder spasms and abdominal cramping.

I remember reading about the bladder pacemaker in a urology article. I wonder if this would be an option for me as it most likely would eliminate the need to self cath. The idea of near normal urination sounds very attractive to me. The other option of closing to bladder outlet to the penis, sounds like a drastic surgery. In a case of an infection, only the newly created stoma would be available in the event that the bladder does not empty. Currently I at times do urinate through the penis when I end up with spasms providing relief. Once it has been altered there is no way other than the new stoma to ensure bladder drainage.

If you can share more information about the device it will be greatly appreciated.

God bless,

Ron