706?1280258259
Vitamin B6 Toxicity User Group
B6 toxicity
About This Group:

Vitamin B6 is a water-soluble vitamin that can result in nerve damage when too much is taken in the form of supplements. B6 is found naturally in most grains such as flax and wheat. Many vitamin supplements and diet pills also contain more than the daily requirements of vitamin B6. B6 toxicity, also known as B6 overdose, is rare and most doctors are unfamiliar with it. It's becoming more common as manufacturers are adding B6 supplements to many vitamins and fortifying cereals. Symptoms commonly include a feeling of pins and needles, like nails being driven into you, generally in your hands and feet or anywhere else in your body where you've sustained nerve damage in the past. However, instead of pain, symptoms may include numbness. Either is refered to as neuropathy. Anytime you eat foods with certain forms of vitamin B in them (B1, B3, B6), your symptoms worsen for many hours. B6 toxicity is usually reversible by avoiding foods with vitamin B in them for 6 months to 3 years.

Founded by Meganamy on July 27, 2010
49 members

B6 toxicity

I developed severe pins and needles, pain and burning in my right arm and right leg and foot about 4 weeks after topping my B6 supplement total to about 200+ mg daily, from all the various holistic practitoners giving me supplements. I have been in miserable pain for 9 weeks now. I have had to take Tramadol and diazepam throughout the day just to get by.
I had to go to a neurologist- normal neuro exam, normal brain and spine MRI. I'm left with this parathesia and sciatica pain, and no one believes in B6 neurotoxicity, or has ever heard of it. I pushed my doctor to give me a requisition for a B6 level blood test. I'll get the results back in about a week. Thank goodness, some folks in this forum believe that what I'm going through is not just in my head. I don't know how to reverse the damage, if it can be reversed. Can magnesium help?
Sorry to hear all that, but welcome to the group. I think one thing we have all struggled with is having many doctors who are not familiar with B6 toxicity and think we are exaggerating or even inventing our pain.

I have been taking magnesium for the 4 years that I've suffered from B6 toxicity. It does not help at all, but it does not hurt. I take it because I suffer from constipation as a side effect of the Lyrica that I take to dampen the B6 toxicity pain.

I convinced an endocrinologist to test my B6 levels and my rest was 46, which they said was normal. I can't remember the units but I've had other people on the forum (http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Nutrition/B6-Toxicity/show/2642?personal_page_id=884412) tell me that that is still a high number. It was a blood test. There's no commonly accepted test for measuring B6. A friend who is a nurse told me that the B6 would be in my nerves or fat cells and so measuring my blood was not a good measure, anyway.

The only things which have helped me are:
1) Time
2) Avoiding foods high in B6 (flax, soy, potatoes, bananas)
3) Digestive Enzymes with food that's high in B6 (Nature's Plus, I get them from VitaCost.com)
Thank you for your kind response a while back. Could you tell me more about the digestive enzymes idea? Why does that help heal B6 toxicity? Did a doctor tell you about that, or is there any literature online about that? It has been5 months now that I have had the right hand and foot paresthesia. I am taking magnesium and sublingual B12. No changes in my symptoms. Have you noticed the digestive enzymes helping? If so, how much/how often do you take them? I am running out of ideas to try to heal. Thank you very much.
TimHa joined this group
Welcome them!
Aug 05
chris677 joined this group
Welcome them!
Aug 03
Joshann joined this group
Welcome them!
Aug 02