Vitamin D Community
White fingernails pattern no lunula

This community is for discussions about vitamin D, what it does, vitamin D deficiency, symptoms, foods that provide vitamin D, supplements, effects on health and when to see your doctor. We also encourage discussions about any other vitamin D topics that would be of interest to other members.

White fingernails pattern no lunula

9540467?1380908497
I've had this white band that appears only on my index and middle fingers for a few months now (see pic). Also, the lunula on all my fingernails is becoming misshaped and smaller and smaller and it's completely gone on a few fingernails. Should I see a doctor?
I have the same nails.  My medical conditions are listed as possible reasons for disappearing lunula moons - hypothyroidism and vitamin B12 deficiency. I have corrected my B12 but my hypothyroid issues continue...the drama~! lol Not sure about the white section is due to but could be related to thyroid. Do you have any symptoms?
http://www.knowabouthealth.com/how-nails-warn-you-about-health-problems/2286/
It is due to deficiency of vitamins and calcium in your body, so it is good if you take protein in your food.

moonstone rings
Hypothyroidism is the conclusion I came to after literally a couple of months of trying to diagnose myself (I really don't like going to the doctor). I went as far as to order self test urinalysis kits for kidney/liver damage and diabetes. I almost surely ruled out a B12 deficiency early on when I starting peeing bright neon urine which is a sign of excess vitamin B.

So, I ordered 3 supplements a couple weeks ago to deal with the hypothyroidism. Iodine (kelp), selenium, and acetylcysteine. They have already made a big and obvious difference in my mood and well being, more than any other supplement I've taken so far, and I feel more "normal" than I have in a long time. But... my nails still have these weird white patterns.

Just fyi, I take about 200mcg iodine together with 100mg of selenium and 1000mg of acetylcysteine once daily. Messing around with hormones is powerful stuff, though, I really should get officially tested for a hypothyroidism.
err, 100 mcg selenium
I'm so over doctors myself. Seen way too many and was undiagnosed and misdiagnosed. Thankfully we have the net eh? :)

The bright yellow urine is from excess riboflavin (B2). If you have vitamin B12 deficiency, it is usually due to some condition causing malabsorption. In the case of hypothyroidism, the reason is low stomach acid.  

An interesting video to check out on youtube: Four Ways To Diagnose Hypothyroidism - Dr. Hotze's - Health & Wellness Solutions.
Thanks Red_Star, I will look back into the B12 deficiency. I had been looking into low stomach acid recently because I noticed it was taking longer than usual for stuff to digest which left me feeling full for longer than usual and also I haven't gotten acid reflux in what seems like years when I used to get it pretty regularly. Never thought I'd want my acid reflux back, lol!

The hypothyroidism video definitely makes me think I made the right diagnosis because I had a significant increase in about half the symptoms and signs over the past half year or so.
Success! After work on the 7th I bought a sub-lingual B12 tablet with b12, b6, biotin, folic acid. I took 1000mg sublingually twice a day everyday since (along with the hypothyroid supplements) and today is the 1st day since JULY that I don't have a trace of those pesky white bands anymore! My nail beds on the whole still look a little pale but the difference is just obvious. Maybe my lunulas will come back eventually too.

There is a stomach condition called "intrinsic factor" that I'm thinking might be the cause because I've been taking a multivitamin daily for years so clearly my stomach isn't absorbing it all properly.
Interesting!  I stopped my sublingual B12 spray for a couple of weeks to clear up my skin issues (too much B12 affects my skin) but B12 deficiency symptoms are showing up again. I have autoimmune pernicious anaemia (antibodies to intrinsic factor and parietal cells). B12 awareness lists various reasons for B12 deficiency...

"What are the Causes of B12 Deficiency?

Decreased stomach acid
Atrophic gastritis
Autoimmune pernicious anemia
Helicobacter pylori
Gastrectomy, intestinal resection
Gastric bypass surgery
Malabsorption syndromes
Crohn’s disease
Celiac disease (gluten enteropathy)
Chronic pancreatitis
Bacterial overgrowth (small bowel)
Fish tapeworm
Alcoholism
Malnutrition—Eating disorders
Vegetarianism
Advanced liver disease
Transcobalamin II deficiency
Inborn errors of B12 metabolism
Certain drugs
Nitrous oxide"