Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Dr. Mathur, question about hypothyroidism and weight gain/loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

I have tried without success the past couple of years to lose weight.  I'd like to lose roughly 20 pounds.  A couple of months ago I was dx'd with hypothyroidism.  I commented to my doctor that perhaps once my thyroid is functioning properly, that I would lose a bit of weight.  She said to not count on it.  Why is that?

I've always been very, very slim (5'5" 110# since I was 14) and in the past few years gained about 35 pounds, 15 of which I was ok with because when I started gaining was about 10 pounds lighter than my usual.  I have felt discouraged but realize as I am nearing menopause (I'm 48), things change, gravity happens and so on and I've kind of given in to the fact that I'm going to weigh 135-140.  However, in light of my recent diagnosis, I feel like perhaps *some* weight loss is attainable.

I participate in another MedHelp group which is moderated by an endocrinologist.  He has remarked that weight gain due to hypothyroidism is a small amount, anywhere from just 5-15 pounds.  If that is so, why can't even those pounds be shed?  If the weight gain is due to slowed metabolism due to an underactive thyroid, why doesn't correcting that result in at least a five pound easy-to-shed weight loss?  The reason I am asking you, Dr. Mathur, is because in a response you offered recently,  you suggested the poster check among other things, the thyroid function.  Were you suggesting if that were corrected, the poster might have more significant weight loss?

In summary, I understand the calories in vs. calories out and that our caloric needs decreases by about 100 calories per decade according to some; so at almost 50 I don't need the amount of calories for basic metabolic function I did at 20.  I also understand that hormones change around menopause resulting in "middlepause" at the waistline.  That said, do you think correcting a thyroid issue can have a positive impact on metabolism and weight loss.

Any insight on this would be appreciated.  Thank you in advance.
Panda
Wow ! just signed up and checked comments and found yours. It is exactly what I am going through. My thyroid has doubled and have gained 10 lbs in a year. Am also dealing with the "middlepause" . I too would like some answers. I read broccoli and some vegies are not good to eat if you have thyroid problems but I am trying to eat more fresh vegies and fruits and have signed up with the Y, hoping to help shed these unwanted pounds !
The doctors don't moderate the forums,here; they sometimes participate under certain circumstances, but not always.

There are a lot of us on this forum who have thyroid related weight issues and we've just started a new feature, called question of the month; I've just posted the first question.  You might want to check it; my response has a bit of my own history; feel free to add your own.

Hi punchkita,
I hope you find answers you're looking for.  I think broccoli and some of the other veggies are ok if they are cooked rather than raw.  I'm new to this group too so perhaps we'll both gain a little insight.

Hello, Barb,
Though this isn't a medical board, a doc does respond to some posts.  I was hoping mine might get an answer.  I do participate in the thyroid group you've mentioned and saw your post a little earlier.  

Enjoy the remainder of your weekend :)
Yes, there are doctors that post here, sometimes, under certain circumstances. In order to be more sure of a response from a doctor, you can post on the "Expert Forums"... those are all answered by doctors; though some of them only accept so many questions/day and if there are too many questions in the expert forums, they may get kicked into a patient forum.

I've seen you on the Thyroid forum, but I actually posted a very similar thread here, so I hope you'll add your experiences to one or both of them.
I understand how the boards work, was hoping for input here.  Thanks again.
Girl
sorry, it's really hard.  i do have a hypothyroid tried to lose and still can't. I am 50.I have 4kids and still went into a size 00.  something happened around 44. I am 4'11' used to be 98lbs and no thats really not to thin when you are so short. But now I AM A WHOPPING 234LBS!!!!I discust even myself, but I am still trying to lose.  I am also doing sweating to the oldies.  its the only one I can keep up with, well thats a lie, i have to take a break mid way through.  good luck to you, i'll watch for your progress!!!
Thanks so much for the encouragement and sharing your story.  I have 4 kids too and before and after each pregnancy was taking up my zeros too.  Crazy!  I was 42 when my weight started creeping up.  I go for thyroid testing this week and to the doctor next week to make sure my medicine dosing is appropriate.  It is more difficult to manage weight now, but I've not lost hope that it is impossible.  Keep at it with your workout and I think it is ok to have to take breaks.  Slow and steady wins the race.