Weight Loss & Dieting Community
I need help = (

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

I need help = (

I'm not extremely overweight but I'm unhappy with my appearance. I'm looking to lose about 10 pounds but I'm not sure how. I consume most of my daily calories at night. I usually eat things like Macaroni and Cheese.. things like that.

I'm looking for an answer on what I should do to help me obtain this goal. I'm not really sure how to count calories either?
Hmm. Could you give us a few more examples of what your diet typically consists of? We can help you better if we have a better idea how you eat on a regular basis.

If you only have about 10 lbs to lose, you may not even really have to keep a close eye of calorie counting. Maybe you really just need to make better food choices rather than restricting your calories. Not knowing what you eat, I can tell you a good way to lose weight is to incorporate healthy whole foods into your diet daily. I usually try to have a fruit and/or vegetable with every meal. Keeping junk food and processed artifical stuff to a minimum is another good way to lose weight. A common misconception is that if you eat a lot at night, you'll gain weight. This isnt necessarily true because your body has no way of keeping track of time so if you eat nothing all day and then 1200 calories right before bed, even that won't cause weight gain (not recommended though of course :-) ) Although if you're overeating at night, or blindly snacking and grazing at night, that's a different story. I personally don't like eating a lot at night because I need adequate amounts of food to fuel me throughout the day and sometimes I find it hard to unwind or relax properly if I eat too much before bed. It also causes indigestion sometimes, but if this isnt a problem for you, then I wouldnt really worry about it.

Also can you give us an idea as to how active you are and if you exercise at all? If you're unhappy with your appearance, perhaps just changing your body composition is all you need. Cardio is a great way to shed extra pounds, but strength training is also just as important, and possibly what you may want to give a try. Building muscle will help tone you up and get you looking lean.
I agree tell us a lil bit more about what all you are doing to change habits. i am in the same boat wasnt really overweight but i was very not happy with my appearance so i basically have cut bk on how much i eat make sure not to snack too much and dont drink regular coke 24-7 and lots of water when i work out!! just doing this and exercising i have shed about 9lbs but i am going for another 9 to make my goal!! watch the mac and cheese too i know it may not sound bad but it is!! dont eat it everyday!!
michelle_764 - You've already received great advice from StarryNight23 and gokuangel and, this community as a whole, extends a very warm welcome to you.  We stand ready to assist you, and need just a little more information on what you are eating, to better assist you.  

We hope you will join us here on a regular basis as you work to lose your 10 pounds.  I believe you can become happier with your appearance through some healthier eating habits and some exercise that may help redistribute and tone your muscles.

One of our other members, Barb135, tones with yoga and highly suggests it.  She made a post yesterday you may find helpful as well.  http***www.medhelp.org/posts/show/726593  ;

You may want to stay tuned to the community as there will be many posts regarding exercise, cooking, snacks, meals, toning, motivation, success, etc coming in the days and weeks ahead .. in fact, throughout the year long challenge that has begun.

While you may not need to count calories, as StarryNight23 pointed out, I wanted to provide you with a website that I use frequently ... calorieking.com ... if it is something you're interested in.  MedHelp is developing a tool as well but we're not quite sure how soon it will be completed.  We're certainly able to help you calculate your daily caloric needs to maintain your weight, should you be interested.

Very best wishes and we hope to hear more from you soon.  Help abounds here and we are glad you are here!  :]
Well.. Usually I just snack on things. I rarely ever eat a sit down meal. I usually eat things like Mac -N- Cheese, baked potatoes, Tuna Helper, cereal and soups. I munch on things throughout the day like maybe a small bag of chips and what not. I drink only pop.. I don't like the way water makes my stomach feel and I rarely ever drink it. I consume roughly 3 cans of pop a day.

As for my activity level.. I don't have one. Usually I wake up in the morning.. (don't eat breakfast) go to school.. (eat a small lunch) and than I come home after school and usually just eat periodically throughout the night until I go to sleep.

Does this help? :)
I only weigh about 139 pounds.. and I'm 5'7"ish.. I'd just like to get rid of my "pooch" lol
At 5'7 thats not too bad now for me i was that and im 5'3 so i was really starting to bubble out! If you are looking to tone up then get some exercising videos that will really help im getting a couple this week i ll post after i get them and try them see how i like it! But do watch your calories try to find a diet soda that you like you cut bk 200 calories just for not drinking regular ones!! like i was saying about the snacks if you must then invest in the 100 calorie packs they have chips cakes cookies even popcorn!! you really need water its hard for me too you might want to get some crystal lite flavor packs to put in it it taste great and only 5 calories!!
Thanks for the advice! Lemme know how the video's go for you.
Watch the diet sodas - they can sabotage your efforts to lose weight by making you crave sweets, etc.  Also watch the chips and stuff - the salt can really make you pudge up.

You don't really to lose a lot - just go for a walk or something and watch what you eat - you'll tone up in no time.  

Good luck and come back soon.  
I'm in the same boat and this has been working for me:

I mix together two or three huge kale leaves (without the stem or "veins"), a handful of spinach leaves, acai juice (one or two ounces) one frozen banana, half a cup of frozen mango (or another sweet fruit) one lime (juiced, no skin) and one celery stick. I blend it all in a regular blender until smooth (sometimes have to shake the blender to get it to mix well).

The final product is a green, sweet , fruity mixture. I never, never, never eat my greens, so this way I get more than twice the amount of greens each day than most people. The acai, combined with the greens has helped to lower my cholesterol by 25 points in two months and I've lost 15 lbs. without really doing much else. The juice fills be up... I drink it three times per day, between 8 and 16 oz. each...