Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Is this alright to do?

A community of people interested in weight loss and dieting. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: balanced menus, popular diets, exercise, metabolism, healthy snacks, nutrition, and weight loss surgery.

Is this alright to do?

i count my calories to get my required amount in for the day, but i don't really track my carbs and fats (i do pay attention to how much is in a serving though)

so is it okay to Just track my calories or should i track carbs and fats as well? like, should i be okay as long as i reach my calorie limit or no? help please, thanks! :)
Some will say "a calorie is a calorie" and in some ways that's correct, but by watching your carbs and fats, you might be able to eat a lot more food for the same calories.  

Fat: 1 gram = 9 calories; Carbohydrates: 1 gram = 4 calories; Protein: 1 gram = 4 calories
Alcohol: 1 gram = 7 calories

Broken down that way, you can see that if you eat a high fat diet, you will be getting more calories for less food.  Since carbs and protein have the same calories/gram, it might seem like those don't make a difference....... not so...... carbs are split into either "simple" or "complex".  

Simple carbs are those that come from refined sugar, flour, rice - most things "white" (candies, pastries, white breads, white rice).  Simple carbs are broken down quickly and must be used to produce energy (exercise) shortly after consumption or they will be stored in your body as fat. Consuming simple carbs will cause your blood sugar to rise quickly, then "crash" in a short time, leaving you hungry and in need of more sugar; this becomes a vicious cycle....

Complex carbs come from fruits and veggies, whole grains, nuts, beans, etc -- (be aware that some fruits have a lot of sugar, so should be limited). Always opt for fresh fruit over juices. Complex carbs are fiber rich, so they take longer to be digested; they keep you feeling fuller, longer, so you won't need to eat as often, plus they have less calories, so you can fill up on larger quantities.  

Think a large salad, chock full of veggies, and lean protein (such as grilled chicken, turkey, low fat cheese, etc) for maybe a couple hundred calories vs. McDonald's quarter pounder with fries and drink for somewhere around 700 calories (cheese added makes it more).  Mickey D's means you can get a whole day's calories in one meal .......   Think a hard boiled egg for 90 calories or a cup of sugary cereal for 200-300 calories (+ another 120 calories for a cup of milk); oh, you want to add a slice of toast?  well add a couple hundred more calories for the bread, butter, jelly............ think an apple for 80 calories or a candy bar for 240 calories... you could eat 3 apples for the same 240 calories and look at the fiber, vitamins, minerals, etc you will get, while all you're getting from the candy bar is sugar and fat, which must be used up or it will be stored as fat.

All of that said -- a calorie is a calorie, but if you budget them properly, you can eat a lot more food for the same (or less) daily calorie count, and feel a lot more satisfied by watching the "types" of calories you eat......
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
day 4 - Concerta ER
15 hrs ago by Amber98
ChitChatNine enjoying fall-like weather ! Comment
Track your weight over time