Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Why am I unable to lose weight?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Why am I unable to lose weight?

I am a 37 year old woman. I have always been relatively active and have never had a weight problem. Two years ago I stopped taking Adderall (adderrall). I began gaining weight immediately. I gained 2 lbs a week for the next 2 months.
I joined a gym and started working out 3 times a week. After 4-5 months of working out I had not lost any weight.
I began seeing a nutritionist. She put me on a 1400 calorie diet. I have learned a lot about food and am glad that I began seeing her. I eat much healthier and feel better. I keep a food journal. I have lost 3lbs. Sadly that is all I have lost and I recently gained it back. I'll get to that.
I went to my PCP who said that I need to see a new nutritionist and work out everyday. She said my metabolism is slower due to the Adderall (adderrall) and it would be awhile before it returned, if it returned.
I began working out 4-5 times a week. I met with a personal trainer and developed a workout program. I workout with weights 3 times a week and I run everyday that I work out at least 3 miles. I gained the three pounds back after I increased my days at the gym. After 4 months of exercising and dieting I have lost zero weight.
I took myself down to a 1200 calorie diet. Still no change.
In the last 2 months I have begun to work out 5-6 times a week, I resumed a 1400 calorie diet. I run for 30-40 minutes, do a 30 minute circuit training and then do 20-30 minutes of stretching and crunches.
At my last annual gyn exam my doctor told me I am 20 lbs overweight. When I explained to him what I have been doing he said there was no reason I shouldn't be losing weight. He checked my thyroid and it was fine. He started me on phentermine.
I have now been on the drug for 2 weeks and have not lost any weight. Plus I find it hard to eat 1400 calories a day on the medication. Overeating has never been my issue. I have never been an emotional eater. I rarely eat junk food and I consume a gallon of water a day.
My resting heart rate is 50 and my blood pressure is normally 98/50. My cholesterol and triglycerides are excellent.
My husband thinks there is something physically wrong with me. Even if I tried to rationalize that I have replaced fat with muscle, the mirror doesn't lie. I look fat.  I AM DOING EVERYTHING I AM SUPPOSED TO!
I am so unhappy with my weight and how I look.
Could there be something wrong with me?
Where do I turn now?
You don't mention how tall you are or how much you weigh.  I would also be interested in your thyroid tests.  Often doctors don't always run all the necessary tests to dx thyroid issues or the lab could be using outdated reference ranges.  You could have an autoimmune thyroid issue.  Have you been checked for insulin resistance?  

Both thyroid issues and insulin resistance can cause weight gain/inability to lose.  I have hypthyroidism/ Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (which is autoimmune thyroid disease) and I'm finding it impossible to lose any weight.  I'm also trying to get my doctor to check for insulin resistance, etc as well.  

A resting heart rate of 50 is rather low, but since you work out all the time, might not be a bad thing, however, hypothyroidism will also cause low heart rate.  According to my pcp, normal heart rate is 60-100 - mine was really low (45-50) before I was dx'd.  

I think if I were you, I'd go back and try to get thyroid retested.  You might try checking out the thyroid forum for more information.  Good luck
I am 5'4 and weight 156 lbs.
The test was a TSH blood test. I have had 2 in the last six months. They were performed in seperate labs but both placed my TSH in the lower range of normal.
You have given me a great plan though. After reading the thyroid forums it appears my next should probably be a endocrinologist.
Thank you
Yeah, Barb135 has given you GREAT advice.  Your workout routing sounds TERRIFIC!  I would have to tell you that you might NOT be eating enough, though.  With that kind of a workout, 1400 calories isn't enough.

Barb gave ME advice to have OTHER levels besides TSH checked.  My PCP is old-fashioned and ONLY goes by TSH.  I did some on-line research and found out that my doctor is old-fashioned, indeed.  GOOD LUCK.  Be tenacious.

Keep posting and KEEP WORKING OUT!  You will have great metabolism when you get through this.  AND, what *IF* your metabolism *IS* messed up from the Adderall (adderrall)...?  Once you SNAP out of this, LOOK OUT!    YOU GO, GIRL!!!!   I'm so proud of your work-out-ethic!