Weight Loss & Dieting Community
where's the will power?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

where's the will power?

How do I control myself?  I'm not seriously overweight, I'm 5'5" and weigh 145 lbs, so I'm at the top of my normal weight range.  The thing is I've gained 20 lbs in the last 2 years.  I've been trying to lose at least 10-15 of it naturally, but my cravings get the best of me.  This may be a silly question, but how do you beat that?  Any suggestions?  Like right now, I've done fairly good today with eating a healthy breakfast & lunch, but now I'm so hungry I'm really craving a big fat juicy burger for dinner.   ugh...  HELP.  I would REALLY like to lose 10-15 lbs by June 1st.  And I do workout on a regular basis, mostly walking, some running.    
I know, I know, it's so hard.  
Sometimes I think that I am hungry but really I am thirsty, so, I find if I keep very hydrated that helps.
I saw Oprah say she craves crunchy things, I am like too, so I try to keep low cal things handy that satisfy that crunch urge.  Like RyCrisp, celery, carrots, etc.
I also eat when I am bored.
Keep going!!!!  You can do it!!
It is extremely hard. I've been in your boat. You have to be ready mentally. You have to tell yourself, "okay, today is the day I change my life around." If you don't, you're always going to fail. Get an accountability partner! Like a friend or relative who have similar goals as far as diet/exercise goes. You have to make it a life-style change...not just a diet. You have to stop and think, "okay...am I REALLY hungry? Or am I just wanting something I can't have...? Am I truly hungry? Or am I just bored...?"  I have been doing very good. I've lost 18 pounds since January...but over the weekend I cheated. It was the first time I cheated in like 10 weeks! I feel guilty, but I'm going to dust myself off, and not give up...today is a new day! Good luck!
Have you ever thought of praying a two sentence prayer against gluttony...
I am not the most religious person in the world but I came across this at my despate to lose wieght time and I really felt it worked..
First of all you REALLY HAVE TO WANT TO DO THIS... you should be at a point where you are sick and tired of how you feel about yourself, that will increase your WILL POWER and even more importantly your sefl CONTROL
the prayer is like this:
God, I am your temple and your dwelling place.  Please help me to take care of myself and to be healthy according to your desire for me.  I ask you to help me to not eat in gluttony. Help me to have self-control. I only want to take in the amount of food that need to make your temple what you desire for it to be. I ask this in Jesus name, Amen.