Weight Loss Alternatives Community
B12 side effects

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

B12 side effects

My sister in law has been taking B12 shots for over a year now. She has lost a considerable amount of weight and is about to have her last injection.  What are the side effects of this shot?  All she seems to want to do is sleep.  It's to the point now where she does not look healthy at all..she's lost too much weight??  Does this sound familiar to anyone??
I've just started taking b12 shots but know quite a few poeple that have done this to lose weight. I haven't heard of anything with the sleep, actually my doctor and well as friends that have done this say there are no side effects to b12 what so ever and I find this to be true when I started taking them. It's just a vitamin, not a drug unless there putting something else in the injection. Personally mine are b12 and b6 injections. What does give me side effects is the phertermine that was perscribed by my dr with the injections. When I first take it I have a lot of energy but as the night goes on it makes me really relaxed and I do want to sleep more with the phentermine. Maybe shes taking something else with the injections to cause these side effects, as far as I know b12 alone shouldn't have any side effects.

PS You can't even "overdoes" on B12, your system just gets  rid of the excess b12 vitamin when you urinate... but you never know, people react differently to these things.

Do you think she looks unhealthy because she's getting too skinny? Maybe shes not eating right and thats causing her to look unhealthy? I would do a google search for B12 side effects or extended use of b12 injections...

help this helps some...
I just started a diet plan which consist of getting B12/B6 shots three times a week.  I notice that my mentrual cycle is heavy and extremely long. could this be due to the B12/B6 shots?
im elsachula and i have been taking b12 shots for half a year every 2 wks. because i have been on prednesone since 1997 because i came down with a rare desease called eosinophilic pneumonia ,my lungs fill up with fluid and i cant breeath ,so my lung dr. tells me i cant get off prednesone so i have gained a few pounds all this years since 1997.i went to see a diet dr. and i have never felt better she has been giving me b12 shots and i have shed 9pounds of weight and 8 pounds of fat so far .i am going to keep seeing my diet dr. till i get to my weight of 120lb,i dont have long to go and i im down to size 6 and feel and look great and im still on prednesone but by looking at me you would never know.i have a great diet dr. here in utah ,andv no im not mormon ,im catholic .
I live in st george, ut as well (from Arkansas) and no..i'm not LDS either....

I go to amara med spa for HCG weight loss and just began 3 days ago. From what i've read, it helps ppl successfully lose weight and keep it off. For 5 years i've been unable to lose weight and i'm hoping this works! Now i'm beginning to wonder if its the b12 shots they give ppl that causes the weight loss instead of the hcg.....
what doc do you see?

congrats on your weight loss by the way!
Has anybody noticed bloating from the shots? I feel like that sounds weird, but I've been on a weight loss plan for about 7 weeks now and have lost 20 pounds....I got the shot today to keep me from hitting a plateau and I have to say that today is my first day I've felt that bloated gross feeling in a LONG time. I wonder if I need to drink more water than normal or what? Any idea?
I have been taking b12 injections once a week for almost two months now. I have lost about 12 to 15 lbs in about three weeks. Before I started the injections the b12 and weight loss theory was discounted and I think I realize why. I believe that the weight loss is from a side effect of taking the b12. As we all know with side effects some people experience them and some don't. But as for me my side effect is frequent annoying trips to the bathroom with an upset stomach within an hour of eating. No matter what I eat or how much or how little, it's the same result. I became dehydrated and still the Dr. says this is not a normal side effect of the b 12. I feel fine though, and I must admit that the weight loss is much needed.
I AM SEEING A DOC TODAY FOR b12 SHOT AND PHENTERMINE PLS TELL ME IF IT REALLY WKS MY FRIENDS STARTED LAST WK AND HAVE LOST 9LBS . ARE THERE ANY SIDE EFFECT $75 FOR THE FIRST VISIT AND EVERY TWO WKS SHOT WILL BE $50.00 IS IT REASONABLE ?
What makes anyone think that Vitamin B12 makes you loose weight ?

Its a vitamin.
may give you energy..  keep fatigue at a minimum.. keep the blood built up some.. what ever but it doesn't make you  or help you loose weight.

the Phens.. are appetite suppresents.. You still have to follow a good basic diet plan.. to stay healthy.  Its not just about loosing weight.  Its to learn to eat properly .. and how to fix foods.. properly, and make good food choices.

i will be starting my B12&B6 injections tomorrow my biggest worry is that what if the program is not a success for me what then...can someone offer me some reassurance..
Anyone get the B12 shots and phentermine in Utah?  Just wondering where I can go to get it
It sounds like people are looking for an overnight wonder drug. Here is the best advice and it's free..... no needles required. Stop putting bad food in your mouth and excercise a little bit. That is the only thing that will work every time and it will work forever you keep doing it..
That is easier said than done!! I have had two kids and in the process gained over 30lbs. When my daughter was 6 months, I started exercising like a maniac (dieted as well). I started shedding weight, but couldn't lose those last 10lbs. Then I had my son and gained more weight on top of that. Now I have loose stomach muscles and I still have that excess baby weight that nag at me everytime I take my clothes off. You think if a person goes to the gym and eat healthy the weight magically dissappears?!! Well I am living proof of that theory being false. I say the hell with overworking my nerves - give me my B12 shots today. Unfortunately, I have a family history of diabetes and I don't want to take that chance:)
I've been taking B-12 injections for about 4 years now due to gastric bypass surgery.  I no longer absorb B-12 appropriately.  It actually gives me energy.  It should have zero side effects.

By the way, I'm in Tooele, Utah, and I am Mormon (LDS) and not ashamed to say it.  Sorry, but it's bothersome when someone says "and no I'm not LDS."  It's actually sort of offensive.  I don't put anyone down for what they believe and expect the same respect.  Sorry, I couldn't help saying something - but why would someone say that?  That would be like me saying I'm from Italy and no I'm not catholic!  What's the point of saying that?  

Okay, I've gone on my soapbox - sorry!  I just couldn't go away without saying something.  The B-12 are very helpful for many different reasons.  And, it's true that the body gets rid of what it does not need and so you cannot overdose on it!  

Good luck!!!
Had my first B12 shot over a week ago and will never go through this again. Even now I am in so much pain I can barely move. Pain starts over right hip where injection was given and radiates across lower back. I'm not talking discomfort. I'm talking please shoot me now I hurt so bad! pain. And my injection was ten days ago. Never again. I too had bypass surgery and my body is not absorbing vitamins. I will try mega doses orally before I let anyone do this to me again.
I have recently heard about the B12 injections and HCG for weight control through a friend of a friend and a relative.  I have never been a slim person and have used a few different methods to try to lose and control my weight.
As I was reading some of the posts here, I just felt inclined to share something.  I found a capsule that was designed for emergency situations that give 100% FDA allowance for 22 vitamins and minerals and purports to take away cravings and sustain life in emergencies where food is not available.  I decided to give it a try, thinking about losing weight.  I gave it two tries.  I went 3 days then another time 5 days with nothing but this and water  I lost over 11 lbs in 4 days and still felt pretty good.  It did for me what it purports.  So why am I sharing this?  My friend, mentioned earlier started using this with the HCG.  She said the HCG was not curbing her hunger.  She is now having great results and her cravings are subdued.  This, like anything else, is just a tool for some.  It works for me.

Jbbaby
i would like to loose 15 pounds and i'm having  having a hard time . i wounder if i would take the b12 if it would help reach my goal. or if an one has a good  idea PLEASE let me know thank you..
I just got my first b-12 shot on Thursday.. 9-10..I have, I think alittle more energy. I have been to the gym yesterday for an hour and twice today in total 1hour 40min..I havent lost anything in fact I gain 4pounds..Feeling alittle discouraged....
Please share the name of this capsule you found designed for emergency situations that give 100% FDA allowance for 22 vitamins and minerals and purports to take away cravings and sustain life in emergencies where food is not available.   I too tried HCG with very little effect on weight loss and I have tried Phentermine and B12 shot every 5 weeks, but new doc has me on B12 3 X weekly but no longer take Phentermine because of so many side effects.   Need something to help curb the appetite to lose 30 lbs. I too exercise daily with Sundays off and I eat better than most, I just find that my brain does not think much of small meals maybe because I exercise so much and part of that is lifting weights so I have a very solid body I'm 52 but everyone tells me I have the body of someone in their 20's.  I've tried eating several small meals throughout the day but I forget to eat most of the time until I am getting weak from workouts.   Please share the name of this capsule I would very much like to try it out to lose some unwanted pounds.  
Thanks BGEE
I got my fifth mic shot today....every time I get it in the right hip....which has been every other time...my hip would stay sore for a week...well today was my day to get it in the left hip.....on the way home...I got this sharp pain that radiated from the shot site.....all the way up my lower middle back...I am talking like labor pains...it hurt that bad. It lasted about an hour. I have lost 16 lbs the past month taking them and adipex....I think I am not going to take anymore and just go on with the adipex. They also give me no noticeable energy!
B12 is not for everyone nor does it make everyone lose weight. I have Asthma, and have been on and off of all types of meds for years. Recently I have been have other medical issues. And from what the DRs thought it sounded as if I might have to little B12 in my system. Which is bad, but so is to much!
Anyways I went in for this test, found out B12 is 200-1100 in normal blood, mine 1180. and I have issues just like having not enough. Your body doesn't always get it out of your system.
Please keep in mind you do B12 through other sources. Before you take these shots.
I have never taken these shots, I do not take Viatimins due to Pregnancy in the past I can't hold them down. I don't eat any form of meat, Nor eat alot of B12 rich veggies. I do not over do i ton the dairy either. DRs are not sure what is wrong.
I also am often over tired, weak, have fatigue. If you look at medical information on the web, you will find  that to much B12 can open you to different medical issues, which can be harmful. To much B12 can be bad for you, just like anything else. Talk to a DR! they can tell you more about what your body needs.
As a medical professional in the anti-aging category for 12 years, I've seen and administered 100's if not 1000's of these injections to many, many clients.
Answer: relatively safe But NOTHING is more effective that eating LESS and burning MORE! In other words... start exercising and stop looking for the miracle cure. It is also healthier.
You're also risking being at the mercy of the inadequately trained who'll deliver the shot in the wrong location. I've also seen this as well as the patient practically jump through the roof in pain... too close to the sciatic nerve!
For the excess skin that never seems to disappear e.g. stomach, thighs, back of arms, neck... there is one solution besides surgery and PLEASE do not purchase these lipodissolve, endermology and mesotherapy treatments. they DON"T work! There is a small device you can purchase and use at home in conjunction with gels that cost about $30 AND it has the best results I've ever seen. Absolutely cost effective. It also minimizes lines and wrinkles on the face. It is a brilliant tool and a nightmare for plastic surgeons. I know because I'm friends with many of them. If you want more info on this email me direct at ***@****
Regards,
TSP
Does anyone know if I buy the B12 online.. will my doctor inject them for me?
I had my first B12 and Lipo B injection yesterday. I woke up this morning and my eyes are a bit swollen, like when I use certain eye shadows that make my eyes swell. Does anyone know what this may be from? I am worried that it is an allergic reaction from the B12? Don't know if it is safe to get another injection? Please help????
hi i just read your comment and I was wondering if I may have the Dr. info as I have been really looking into getting into this diet
--Dee
I am interested but they blocked your email address