Weight Loss Alternatives Community
HELP I'M HAVING SERIOUS LAP BAND PAIN

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

HELP I'M HAVING SERIOUS LAP BAND PAIN

Two years ago I got lap band surgery in Brooklyn, NY. Unfortunately, I was over eager when I found these two surgeons that took my insurance (Medicaid). They had only done a couple hundred lap bands at the time and were too inexperienced. It has been a disaster since day one, to cut it short my last visit with them ended after they stuck literally 16 trying to access my port and then told me that I needed emergency surgery. I immediately got a second opinion by WL surgeon top of her field. (I would have went to her to begin with if she took my insurance) She accessed the port in one shot and said I didn't need surgery. She said the port felt "wobbly" like one of the stitches wasn't there. I had complained to my original Docs that I felt the port was moving around from day one, but I was ignored. I followed up with the new Doc (don't want to use real names here) paying by pocket and lost 90LBS! But because of a severe anxiety problem, I was vomiting daily and had to get the band loosened. I gained all the weight back, but I fixed my anxiety problem and got tightened again, ready to lose it all again.

IMPORTANT Part if you just want the short version.
2 months ago I started feeling extreme pain in my lower abdomen on my left side. Originally I thought it was my ovary. I got a pelvic ultrasound that came bake good and GYN doc said that something was pressing against my organs causing pain and was probably my band. The main sight of the pain then moved up to my port. And the pain radiates throughout my stomach and back. I also have severe nausea and acid reflux. I had a CATscan, XRays, Numerous blood and urine tests, and an Endoscope. EVERYTHING came back clear!?! No band problems, organ trouble, or gyn trouble. Band is in place and not eroded or anything.

DOCTORS are stumped. I'm in so much pain (worse than a ruptured gallblatter I had a few years ago) I'm only 26, no kids.

HELP! WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?

I really think it has something to do with the port because that's where the pain is.
Could I some how be rejecting the band all of a sudden?
Any input would be greatly appreciated and sorry for the long post.
I had the band done 3 years ago by a famous female physician. I've lost 110 pounds and am forever grateful. How did you find doctors who accept medicaid and do the band? My friend and neighbor is desperate to have the band done but has medicaid and cannot find a doctor to perform. Can you help?
PS- I also have reflux- but I need to be on a better diet for it. The nexium helps.
Hi could you please give me that doctor's name who accepts Medicaid to me. Here is my mail ***@****

Oscar
i dont have medicaid but wishard advantage i tryin 2 fing someone who can help me get the surgery even if i have 2 mad payment please help thanks email me at ***@****
I am 9 weeks post op for the lap-band.  A few days ago, suddenly, I started having pain near the port sight.  It was so extreme that I couldn't bend or hardly move.  I was on vacation, so I couldn't go to my dr. right then.  The next day, when I woke up, I had hardly any pain.  Now 2 days later I'm feeling some pain, but nothing like it was before.  I go for a fill in 1 week.  I think the port has come loose.  I don't know.

How are you feeling?  Have you found out anything?  I'm very interested in an update.

Please email me.

Thanks! Kathy
I am 57 yo male in Australia. 4 years ago I had hiatus hernia repair and lapband surgery by laparascope. My bowel was pierced during surgery and not picked up.  developed severe pain and collapsed in hospital, peritonitis and septus set in I was in a coma on life support for three weeks in ICU and during this time I underwent three further surgeries to fix the bowel incision(S)? and eventually woke up a very very sick boy with an Ileostomy bag fitted and a Foleys catheter.
My surgeon was in denial and was neither forthcoming over the matter and was less than helpful (understatement) in my post operative three months.
I was re admitted to hospital under a new Dr and surgeon with renal failure, internal infections, abdo pain, low blood pressure, etc and in ICU for 10 days.

I have now undergone a further 4 major procedures (8 in total) all with General Aneasthetic and next week undergo yet another gastroscopsy and colonoscopy to try to detect my cause of chronic abdo pain, bowel spasms, excessive flatulence, bowel incontinance,; I have been undergoing Psychiatric care for severe depression, pain management ,memory loss, etc and have lost my business I built up over 32 years.

Needless to say I am suing the surgeon responsible for this mess and I am now in the 4th year of litigation.

My life has been turned upside down and I have gone from being a successful professional business man, employer, community worker (Rotary) avid sailor and family man to a mere shell of my former self, lacking in confidence, shunning friends and people, and believe it or not still overweight.

Is there any one else who has had similar experience?
I had original lap band 6 years ago at the gold coast, went from 140 to 75 - after a couple of years I developed a few problems with not being able to eat or drink - got flown to brisbane and they removed the fluid - had a break for a while - enjoyed a brekky creek steak yum. They then injected  and it was ok but weighrt stayed at around the 90k. I then developed severe reflux which had me sleeping sitting up etc - was horrible caused sleepless nights. anyway went to see surgeon in brisbane - he sent me for a barium swallow and they found nothing was getting through ( even though I was not losing weight??) I saw another surgeon in Bris who decided to replace lap band - well it has been a nightmare. I developed infection 4-6 weeks after op - drove 6 hours to see surgeon and he shrugged  it off and said I was okay. i started to believe I was a drama queen and the pain in my stomach was nothing Hah - 1 week later got flown to brisbane for emergency removal of lap band my stomach was so infected they removed one third of it - have the most dreadful scars.  Since then I have had 7 lots of anti biotics 4 lots of prednisone, gave up my job - have put on 20 kilos and am a virtual recluse. I had band replaced approx 1 month ago and guess what the last 2 days same feeling of heavy gut, pain when I cough etc - I am terrified, depressed  and dont know what to do. Dr is nice but does not explain things to me - I find myself getting intimidated by him and do not say exactly what I should be saying. he now wants me to travel down again to see what he can do. God if I get back up to 140 - life would not be worth living - I get so angry that i cannot control my eating, cannot get out of my depression and motivate myself. My husband and kids are suffering not to mention the financial burden.
Does any one know a good doctor for the labband that take medicaid in jersey ty
try the scott and white doctors in TEMPLE!
I had lapband 1yr ago . I have had ALOT of pain left side under rib, back and now for about 10 days chest . I have been to lapband Dr , and family Dr. If I can make it in the morniing Im going back. Dear God I have had more pain this yr. than any in my life. Can anybody help me at all. My lapband Dr gave me some med 4 days ago i can.t  tell it helps at all. I DONT WANT MEDS I WANT TO FIND OUT WHAT IT IS.
banacek, I just found your comment and empathize with you.  I was in hosp 7 weeks, lost 50 lb, lung collapsed, kidney failure, ICU Psychosis.  Pain so great I had my own morphine button.  Came home with 3 drains in and under home nursing care.  I went on the lap band chat line somewhere and was ridiculed for telling my story.  I was all but cursed and accused of being negative and trying to turn people against getting the surgery.  I tried to reply honestly and softly back to the one girl and now she doesn't answer.  It is so frustrating to deal with this failure.  I had mine removed and still try to do the drinks, and lots of water and protein, salads etc.  But still maintain weight. now i walk around looking pregnant due to an inoperative hernia.  But I am "KINDA" healthy.  So i do o.k.  but so glad others are sharing their story of how this is not a walk in the park.  thanks so much for your story............
I had the lap band over 5 years ago and have been in pain for several years in my left side where the band is. I have been through so many doctors that don't seem to know what the heck the are doing. When I had the band put in I lived in NC now I moved to MD and because the surgeons here did not do the surgery I am having a hard time finding someone to even look at it as a follow up. I am so sorry I had this done I haven't even been able to get adjustments so there has been little weight loss and I am in so much pain I cannot exercise. I have been taking pain meds just to function and deal with the pain. THIS HAS BEEN A NIGHTMARE AND I JUST WANT SOME RELIEF!!
Oh, so sorry to hear about your problems. I hope that things are getting better for you. I had my lap band done 5 years ago. Last three months have been terrible with pain, especially where the port is. Many tests and all... and finally we have an answer: My tubing wrapped around my intestines so its pulling on the port and its causing bowel to become obstructed. I hope that you found someone to help you.
Can you tell me if you had pain always or just after eating,
I'm experiencing pain had numerous tests nothing they can see having a gastroscopy in 2 weeks, how did they detect your problem.
So glad at least you found what was wrong.

Sandra