Weight Loss Alternatives Community
Metformin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

Metformin

I have jsut started using this medication today. I really need to lose weight, I have been on Antidepressants for about 9 years and gained about 70 pounds with them also. I am only 5'2 and was 125 when I started the Antidepressants. My DR. is giving me MEtformin to aid in the weight loss,I cannot seem to get any ow the weight off, and I can't take it anymore.Has anyone had any exp. with Metformin? Does is fatigue you or give you energy? Did anyone lose weight taking this?
Suzie,

Check out this link on this same forum...http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/22393

I have a long post there on Metformin.  Long and short of the post is, Metformin can aid in weight loss for certain individuals by reducing insulin resistance.  It works best in conjunction with very regular exercise and some diet control.  Does not have to be radical diet control.  Nasty gastric side effects are present in the beginning takes a few weeks to maybe a couple of months to get rid of. If you can manage walks of 45 minutes 4 times a week, then Metformin can work for you most likely.  Good luck.