Topamax and weight loss
I have digenerative disc disease and my neirologist just prescribed topamax,
he said it would help with the pain and tingling but could result in weight loss.
  I am wondering if prescribing topamax for ddd is common among neurologists? I can't seem to find any other information related to topamax as a pain med, only information I have is that it's a powerful drug with lots of side effects, most not so good.
The weight loss aspect is the only plus...also could this drug alter my brain function since I know it is used for bi-polar and seizure disorder... I'd like to know more about this med both from a neurologists view and from a weight loss specialists view. before I make a decision to take this medication
Thanks in advance for any/all responses
I'm a migraine suffer, my fourth week tonight I up to the full 100 mg. I still feel alittle tingling sensation but its not as bad as the beginning its hardly there. my appeitte has decrease...which is good because I do want to lose the extra weight....the third week of topamax was really bad for me I was so naseaous I thought I was pregnant for a minute....but it went away. I sometimes do feel like food is the most disgusting thing in the world...I think Ive lost about 6 pounds not much but theres a difference in the the pants....haha! i HAVEN'T HAD ONE MIGRAINE YET! thank god...
I started taking Topamax 8 months ago. I weighed 122 at the time. The first week I took it I had my normal Migraine for two days. I remember feeling really sick over the weekend as well. By the next week I had lost 10 pounds. I had been eating normally (we were in the process of moving and having to stop at fast food places for every meal). Within the first two weeks of starting Topamax I had lost a total of 14 pounds, I was down to 108. I didn't really notice the 10 pounds the first week until I went to put on my regular work clothes the next week and they didn't fit anymore! I had stepped on the scale, but thought it was broken! By the second week, nothing fit. I would walk by the mirror and not recognize myself. My face was really withdrawn looking. I did have a lot more energy, getting up at 4:00 or 4:30am every morning. The tingling in my hands and feet went away after the first month, eating a banana every morning helped with that. My hair thinned out quite a bit. I couldn't really afford for that to happen, I'm only 42. But the worst was the 'fog' I felt like I was in when it came to remembering anything. I used to give speeches in front of 80+ people every week. Now I had to bring up my 'speech' and read it word for word just to get through it. I couldn't remember any part of it.

It took my Migraines away completely, which was a relief.

After the first few months I noticed weight started to creep back on, which was okay by me. I didn't like my bones sticking out. I finally decided to go off of Topamax, and noticed that I have regained about 10 pounds altogether. I have heard about the weight being put back on once you stop the medication.

I guess you have to ask yourself if you're taking Topamax mainly for weight loss, do you plan on taking it forever, because most likely, the weight may come back. I'm pretty 'active' and try and eat right, and it still didn't help the weight from slowly coming back on. It defintely feels like something you can't control, just like the weight 'loss'. Also, is it worth it to have your hair start to fall out, and the constant confusion, loss of words, generally feeling, and sounding 'stupid'? For me, it wasn't. Even though I lost the weight, I felt drained and weak when I tried to ride a bike, or go up stairs. I had 'energy' meaning I didn't have to sleep as much and was up bright and early ready to go, but when it came to using that 'energy' to do something 'athletic', energy certainly didn't mean 'strength'. I felt like an old lady.

If you're taking it, I hope you have somebody looking after you in case you don't notice yourself 'going downhill'. When I first dropped the 14 pounds, I was excited at how easy it was, but my family, friends and coworkers were almost horrified. Skinny doesn't necessarily mean 'healthy'. You still have to work extra hard to build back up the 'strength' and muscle, and take lots of extra vitamin supplements as well. By the way, I was only up to 100mg per day.
Well I  guess my story will shock you all I am currently taking 800mg a day of Topamax. 400mg in the am and 400mg in the pm. My migrianes were so life stopping that I could not get through the week without one. I would usally land myself in the hospital on the verge of a stroke on time it had gotten so bad that they admitted me for a swollen brain. Topamax has saved my life!!!

At first though I did feel as if I was going insane they side effects were dreadful. food didnot taste right, depression, waking all hours of the night, weight loss, the list goes on and on. The weight loss had to be the a blessing and a cruse I went from 168 on a womens 5' 7 frame to 136 and still loosing about 2 to 3 pounds a week. I did enjoy it the first 15lbs but now I am too thin and want to stop. However it does not matter what I eat or how much I cannot gain. Ohh well it is the price I am willing to pay to be migriane free, and live again!!!

The best thing to do with Topamax is fight through the first 5 to 6 weeks of side effects your body will leval and you will be pleased with the end results. I almost gave up on Topamax and I am so glad that I did not!
I am taking Toprimate for migraines.  I am currently on my third week, 75 mgs.  So, far so good no migraines yet.  Normally, I have about three very bad migraines a month.  And on a good month two.  I have been suffering with these headaches for the past five years.  I decided to talk with my doctor regarding a preventive drug in which she suggested Toprimate.  I will still be taking Imtrex injection if I experience a migraine episode.  I will be increasing my dosage of topamax to 100 mg next week.  I feel ok using topamax.  I am not sure if I have lost any weight, but I know I eat a little less.  Therefore, I may have lost a pound or two.  Which is okay for me.   Should I expect for  my appettite to decrease using a higher dose of topamax/toprimate?  Anyone response required!
I just started taking Topamax last week for epilepsy.  I was taking keppra but my seizures were uncontrolled.  I am up to 100 mg of Topamax a day.  So far I have the foggy head and pins and needles in my hands and feet.  So far no weight loss.  I am hoping that will be one of my side effects, I could stand to lose a few pounds.
I am an epileptic and have been since early 1990's. I am 49 and have been on several medications for my seizures. It seemed that Depakote worked great for me. I was in the medical field for 20 years until my seizures caused me to become disabled in 2001 and therefore, I had to go on Medicare and due to my pre-exsisting condition, I could not get no secondary insurance and did not qualify for part D Medicare (prescription coverage) so I had to go on the Patient Prescription Assistance Program in order to get my Depakote medication. During this time, the Depakote did make me gain weight and I had other stress come up on me starting in the year 2000 such as: 2000 - husband had cancer of kidney but survived, 2001- husband's dad died and I had to go on disability due to my seizures, 2003 - my mother at a young age of 66 suddenly died of a massive heart attack and and  husband had his bad semi-truck wreck where another semi-truck ran upon top of his semi-truck and did not get his disability going until 2005. Anyway, the government stopped paying for my medicine due to both of us drawing too much and I could not afford the Depakote ($400.00 a month)  so my neurologist got me on Topamax through the government. In the last 3 months, I have been taking it but again have been under alot of stress as in April, I lost my beloved dad to a massive heart attack and he was 70 so again I got stressed out and what weight I lost, (40 lbs.), i gained 20 back from stress and I was taking 200 mg Topamax a day so my neurologist due to my seizures and weight gain doubled my dosage to 400 mg a day this week and I already can tell a difference in my appetite so I hope it don't make me lose too much weight plus I found out Saturday from my medical doctor that I have a heart problem myself and he put me on nitros, oh me, what a world!
I am a 33 yr old female. I was put on topamax for migraines. It has helped considerably for my migraines. Thank God!! As for weight loss, yes I have have lost weight also. I lost 6 pounds just in the first month. I take 75mg a day. I don't have any of side effects either. If you're nervous about taking Topamax start out on a low doseage like 25 mg a day. I started out 25mg one in the morning and one at night. Now I take one in the morning and 2 at night. Good luck!!
I have been on Topamax now for about 6 months I started out at 50 mg and am now up to 100 mg 3 times a day I no longer have migranes thank God!! But my head does get fuzzy at times and I have memory blocks at times I have lost about 47 pounds I havent changed the way I eat I just eat alot less because Im just not hungry anymore.I do worry about the side affects I read about but I havent had anything that would make me quit taking it...
this information has been really helpful, i just started topamax today and couldn't understand why certain things taste so awful. does the side effect of nt feeling hungry and the way things taste get any better over time?

kayru11
I started Topamax last week for migrains and cronic back pain. I think that I may be eating more than I was before, has anyone had this happen?  I just started on 50 mg one in the morning and one at night. Yesterday my head hurt from the time I got out of bed untill the time I fell asleep at 1 am. I don't have a migraine this morning thank God!! Oh, I should probably mention that the first week I started on 25 mg at night.  One other thing I do notice that I feel really full alot faster and with less food at a sitting, it just seems that I'm sitting more.
just to let u know, i had a stress test yesterday and found out i have no heart problem, have a healthy heart, thank god, don't need the nitros. Also since my neurologist increased my topamax from 200 mg a day to 400 mg a day, my daily meals have went down to a sandwich in the morning to a salad at supper and thats if i can eat it all, my weight is falling off of me. I guess i will have to buy me a new wardrobe for the fall and winter but at least i will look and feel better.
I just started on Topamax last week. I only take 25mg at bedtime.  My head feels foggy at times and I am more sleepy during the day but my appetite has deminished.  I need to lose 30 lbs. before I can have ByPass surgery so Topamax will definately help. I have had no appetite today and have to force myself to eat something - protein is my first choice with veggies and/or salad.  I have had no headaches just the foggginess which I hope will subside as time goes on.
let me know if anyone  taking topamax if they are going to the bathroom alot while on topamax. i drink alot of water as it says on the prescription to do but i should do have to go to the bathroom alot since the doctor upped my dosage from 200 mg a day to 400 mg.
ok, guess i need to read all the rules,
can you not put you email in here?
kathy
hi,

i have struggled with horrific head and neck pain for a long time, i have had migraines on and off, i was bitten by a tick in 1989 and unfortunatley i went 5 years without a diagnosis. i tried, but the rash was gone, i did not know to keep the tick, and was just told i couldn't get lyme in Kentucky. well i am living to tell everyone you can get lyme disease anywhere,
i had several neck operations because it got in my bone marrow and weakened it. 2 of my discs crumbled, we tried exercises and therapy on the first, but the second went fast, anyway, i have a lot of chronic pain and head aches that are not necessariely migraines but i am with a new pain clinic and he wants to try because i have horrible head and neck pain 4-5 days a week.

i am on my 2nd week, we took 25mg the first week, i now take 50 and will work up to 75 by the tim i see him next and we can see where we are. her is a wonderful foctor and without over medicating he makes sure you are comforatable. i am nervous...i am doing a lidocaine drip august 9. it could change my life!!!! that woudl be awesome, i happen to suffer from bad pain all over and at different times, hopefully the lidocane will deaden the nerves so they won't hurt. i really don't underwstand it yet, but i trust my doctor and if i can get a month or so pain free,,,it is worth it, he said some goe a month some 2 and some it actually lingers si months, everyone is different, i will try and remember to come back here and let you know how it goes and how the topamax is doing.
if i forget
please, anyone feel free to email me at ***@****
it is our busiest time of the year for showing our horses and if i am free of pain or anywhere close i will be going!!!!! i love my new doc, he wants people to be well enough to enjoy life, but not do drugged they can't and he seems to care....we will see......as i am sure most of you have,,,i have had some real bad experiences.

peace out
kathy
man i had some bad typos

my email is ***@****

i think the rest you could figure out. i better get to bed!!

kathy
My experience with Topamax:  I suffer chronic migraines.  For the first 3 months topamax seemed to be working great, I still got an occasional migraine but it was treatable with tylenol or advil.  I did lose about 7 solid pounds - although I would say not pounds of FAT, just pounds overall, including muscle mass, so although I felt skinnier, I also felt sort of weak and flabby!
After a few months my migraines started to come back with FULL FORCE.  So I looked for an alternative treatment and started taking 100 mg of progesterone per day, on days 15 - 28 of my cycle... a miracle is happening and I think that my hormones were the cause of my migraines.  I still take the topamax, just 25 mg a day to wean myself off of it.  I used to get ovarian cysts but since I started to progesterone regimen I don't anymore.  Think about it ladies, pharma companies can't get rich off of selling natural progesterone - there's nothing to patent - so of course they are going to promote these outlandishly expensive drugs instead of looking at the ROOT of our migraine problem.

Other side effects:  Seltzer water tasted horrible and sort of sweet.  And carbonated drinks in general taste flatter.  Also my taste is changed, I don't like certain flavors anymore, like lime and chocolate.  And I do feel once in a while like I am leaving my body (!!!) kind of floating over my own head.  Its a very real feeling that lasts for a few minutes, usually when I am driving.  I don't suffer from depression and am not on any other meds, so for those of y ou who are trying to pinpoint which side effects came with which drugs, there you go!  Also you can go to the Topamax website, although I know there is so much research they still need to do on this drug.
GrannyDeb, I am noit a Dr. but I have read on the topamax website and on the drug info that Topamax does have some sort of effects on the bladder, possibly negative ones.  Also there was just an article in Men's Health that topamax can lead to kidney stones in people taking high doses for a year or more... so definitely go talk to your Dr. and make sure he she knows what he/she is doing... I know my doc, god bless her soul, doesn't know much about topamax, she just put me on it aftert I asked for it... I had to find out months later from my pharmacist that topamax was causing my birth control to be ineffective!!
Hi !! I am Libby and I am taking my first dose of Topamax tonight. I would love to find people to chat about side effects etc... I see Kathy was not able to post her e-mail address. Is this the way to have daily chats and lend each other support? I am feeling nervous about starting this tonight not knowing which side effects may come my way.

Thanks, Libby  
i am aware that this med can cause kidney stones if u don't drink alot of water but it just seems i spend more time going to the bathroom than i did before and i drink alot of water anyway cause i drink a lot of  soda also. i was in the medical field for 20 years. i have been going to the my neurologist since 1990 so i do trust in him. i was just wondering if anyone else was going to the bathroom alot also. as for my weight, it looks like i am going to have to go clothes shopping as my weight is falling off and this is the 3rd week today since my neurologist doubled my dosage of topamax