Weight Loss Alternatives Community
Topomax, Weightloss,SideEffects,Pros

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

Viewing 201-246 comments:
for anyone taking Topamax for weight loss I have been on this drug for 4 years for seizures, migranes (migraines) at first over a period of 1 year i lost 59 pounds witch was great last year i had to get off because I concieved my daughter and did not want to be on any meds while I was pregnant ( best choice I made) when I was pregnant I gained 63 pounds and know I weigh 173 compared to the 125 I weighed befor I Got pregnant. my daughter is a year old now and Im now back on topamx as of 2 months ago. since then I have formed a weird crease above my lip only when I smile and I am experiencing really bad leg and feet cramps . my nuero told me it is probably a side affect of the topamax. and me sot being able to absorb sodium or magnisum. these things that are happening to my body are so not worth it. this crease above my lip is so embaressing I feel like every body is always looking at it when I smile/
I also know this drug has ruined my teeth. I know see a peridontist because it has started to eat away my gums and now my gum line is starting to shrink. and eventially I will look like a horse. for all you that are so amazed by the weight loss I bet you have never really payed attention to your gums or the difference from when you started the meds to now. I used to think I was so bueatiful and that nothing was wrong with me , im not trying to sound consedid im just being honest. Im 28 years old know and believe me fitting into those size 3 jeans and getting all those compliments was so not worth the 5-7 years this drug has aged me. Just take notice of all the little things that go one with your face and body. I bet alot of you also havn't noticed that your skin isnt as tight as it used to be. and you probably think im going thru this because im going to be 30 soon but I have spoken with people that are in there late teens ans early 20's and this is still happening.

just be carefull
God bless you all
I began to take Topamax  about 2 months ago for tri-geminal neuralgia - due to a root canal gone bad.  It is the third medication the drs. have tried on me.  At first I was excited due to the side effect of loss of appetite and possible weight loss.  All the previous meds have caused me to gain between 20-25 lbs in 6 months.  Much to my dismay, like the other meds, I quickly built a tolerance to the meds (as had occurred with the others).  At 50 mg/day the facial pain/seizures quickly returned.  Due to all the horrible side effects I was experiencing, I refused to increase the dosage.  A new med has been recommended and needless to say, I have not started on that one either - even though the pain is EXCRUCIATING!  Besides building a quick tolerance to the meds, I also experienced change in vision - leading to a great expense in new contacts and glasses within a very short amount of time, extreme chest and spinal pains, extreme increase for a desire of salty foods ( previously, I have never enjoyed the taste of salt or salty items), inability to sleep at night (I'm usually a very heavy sleeper for 5-6 hours per night), and a severe loss of appetite but absolutely NO weight loss (and I run 3.8 miles per day).  The worse has been the days of lack of focus and the sense of "laziness" that I experience - at least 1 to 2 days/week, it is very difficult for me to find the desire to go about my daily routine, let alone do activities to enjoy the summer weather.  Because of this loss of time with my family, I have taken myself off the Topamax, have promised myself to not continue with any of these meds and have begun a holistic treatment.  Unfortunately it will take a while for my system to be completely cleaned of the medications, but I am already beginning to feel that I know myself again.
I have been on effexor for several years for depression and it worked great. I started with 75mg, the lowest dose, and it absouletly saved me. After reading some comments on it I'm thinking the effexor and menopause may be the reasons I started gaining weight out of control. Now I'm taking topamax and I want to know when I will see some weight loss. I've been on 100mg for about three months. The taste in my mouth as changed (it's what I imagine rotting meat must taste like) and my stomach feels like it has a band around it. Are these normal symptoms for everybody? I am going to speak to my physician later in the month but real users comments woudl help.
i have been on paxil, wellbutrin and now cymbalta. became depressed 5 years ago and stopped running my 6 miles. Gained 40 pounds. Got RLS. Couldn't sleep. Doc fixed RLS. Doc gave me xanax to sleep. and topomax (topamax) for weight. can't seem to remember to take my pills regularly. i forget. remember the dog's pills; but not mine. no bad symptoms -- no tingling or headaches. but weight just keeps piling on. am getting more depressed. keep waiting for my life to start.  
I've been on TMax for over one year.  I suffer from TMJ. I am very happy with TMax.  My headaches were every single day.  I thought I was going insane.  I also was given Lexapro and another med (can't remember), but during the summer I decided to get off all meds except for TMax.  When I don't get enough sleep I feel horrible all day.  I now only have headaches once a month and if I get a lot of stress the tension  goes not my jaw causing the severe headaches.  It feels like someone hit me over the head with a pan.  I did find a fantastic myofacial doctor and I wear a splint in my mouth full time which has helped 98% control my headaches.  Some people don't realize stress can go to your jaw which is connected to your skull creating headaches.  When this happens I usually put a warm towel around my jaw and it really helps relieve the symptoms of the head hurting.  In addition, I take frova a migrane (migraine) pill which helps and doesn't cause heart PPT.  ....God Bless all of us.
I went to a diet doctor in Cary who prescribed this for me and I found it to be like a placebo; totally noneffective.  It does nothing to control appetite which is what it is supposed to do.  I am diabetic and I find that I am hungry all the time.  I have been this way my whole life.  The only way I can control my appetite is to simply find something else to occupy my mind so that I do not think about food.  Topomax (topamax) is totally useless.
Hey y'all, I hate to break it to you but Topamax is not an appetite suppressant. The weight loss factor is a side effect - that means you may or may not get it. Just like the kidney stones and the odd forms of glaucoma that Topa can cause, you may or may not get those as well. The taste perversion is also a side effect but it actually CAN help you lose weight since sodas taste icky and (at least for me) lots of sweets taste too sweet so I don't want them anymore.

If you get the tinglies in your hands and feet go eat a banana or drink some Gatorade, this will take care of it. The tinglies will eventually go away after your body has become accustomed to the dosage.

Now granted that I haven't looked up any recent clinical trials but last time I checked it had failed 2 separate trials for weight loss. The reason it had failed was because the test subjects couldn't handle the side effects. Many left due to the cognitive side effects. There is a reason that this med is nicknamed Dopeamax and Stupimax.

I am bipolar (aka manic depressive) and I take Topamax as a mood stabilizer. I'd hoped for the weight loss side effect but unfortunately I wasn't that lucky. I often recommend Topamax as a mood stabilizer or as an antiepileptic med or even as a migraine med but I would never offer it up as a weight loss med. I would never get someone's hopes up when what they're hoping for is a side effect. It's a dangerous game to play, picking a med for it's side effects, hoping that you get a particular side effect (weight loss) but that you don't get other side effects (depression or glaucoma, etc.)

So please, before you hop on the Topamax train. Take a minute to really delve into the info with your doctor. Make sure your doc tells you about all the side effects, not just the "nice" ones. If you want more info ask your pharmacist for the PI sheet. It will show you the statistics about "adverse events" during the drug trial. You can even find the PI sheet online if you want, just search for "Topamax PI sheet".  

Just be careful. You only get one body to live this life in.
In December I posted this, now I would like to clarify it....
<<<>>>
******************************************************************************************************
I had a CBC done again and my liver enzymes are perfect.  Found out that I was taking too much TYLENOL for the headaches and that was the cause, not the Topamax.  

We assumed it was the Topamax b/c that was the only new med that I was taking.  I totally stopped it and Tylenol at the same time, then started taking Topamax again as a controlled experiment, so I wanted to clarify that for all of you in case you were worried about it.
Janie
Totally agree with  girrl88 on sep 8 2009!!! I have been on Topamax 100mg for over 12yrs now to combat absence seizures (very mild epilepsy)  the first drug i was on (epilim)  HELPED me balloon to 120kg over (240pounds) so at the tender age of 16 I didn't want to look like a hippo any longer... so I asked if there was another drug that would help me to not put on weight - NOT loose it - but just not make me stuff my mouth any more!!!!  and have me feeling lathargic etc... I was given Topamax to trial! Yes I was a lucky one I lost over 60kgs (over a period of 18mnths)  but never did I go and seek a drug to loose weight, I wanted one that did not have the side effect of weight gain!  As there are so many diff drugs on the market now, you really need to know what the side effects r - cause chances r u will end up with atleast one of them, especially when u r playing with these sorts of drugs!  I also had pins n needles, irratable legs, mind fogginess, and major mood swings, All of which subsided with-in that first 12-18mnths... and while I am no longer loosing weight (thank-god at that rate! :) )  I have been able to maintain it, which I would like to attribute to my own will power not the drug!   As I was given the boost - Yes! but it takes a lot more strength to maintain the weight lose believe me!
If you are taking topamax wholey and solely for weight lose - pls think about it cause it is a very powerful drug!
This is my very first post.  I suffer from severe migraines and currently on Relpax but I usually take it more than 12 times a month.  I was told I should be on a medication to prevent the migraines and topamax was the medication.  Does anyone out there take it now for migraines and if so I have read many blogs online about the word problems on this medication and it concerns me.  I am a manager in the medical field and need to be alert at all times.  Can anyone tell me if this lasts or does it go away after awhile once you are at your expectant dose?  Thank you for any help you can offer.
I'm also a manager at a medical facility and I managed over two hundred people. My level of stress is very high wich causes me to have really bad migraines,  I tend to over eat to reward myself for all the stress my job puts me under.  I'm on my fouth day of topomax (topamax) .25 mil and by sunday I suppouse to go up to .50mil. So far I havn't had any side efects with the exception of excessive hardburn. can anybody tell me if is normal? I almost feel like somebody has their finger pushing on my troat.  Also, I'm always hungry, I have been reading that people loose weight on this med. do you loose weight even if you continue to eat the same way? or do you loose weight because you loose your apetite?
I have been taking Topomax (topamax) for almost a month now for migranes (migraines).  I feel like a new woman, I have popped some sort of pain releiver for close to 26 years every morning when I wake up to prevent the major headache.  I was taking it at night but found I could not go back to sleep if I woke up to go to the bathroom so now I take it in the morning, I also suffer from a sever dry mouth and nose and for whatever reason it has helped with that problem as well.  Good luck to all!
Ok so here is an update. I feel a lot better with the migraine. However the pins and needles on the bottom of my feet are crazy.  I hate it!!! No lost weight at all. In fact I gain 3 lbs.:(. Today I go up to .75 mill. I hope by this week the side effects get a bit better. I hate the feeling on my troat. I don't know what the deal is with that.  Anybody has any idea why i get the feeling like somebody has their finger pushing on my troat? Should I be concern?  Thank you for any feedback.  
I recently had a migraine episode that usually last 3-4 months straight
and I was given Topomax (topamax). Yes I was one of the one's to lose weight.  I lost an incredible amount. But one needs to know that when on Topamax you have to drink a lot of water.  This is  actually where the weight loss is coming from. When ever one is attempting to lose weight you have to drink a lot of water and this pushes the weight, the Topamax has the same effect. Don't play games with the med's, go and excercise.
CoCo782
I have been taking Topamax for 6 months for cluster migraines. One of the side effects that I have experienced is the weight loss. Unfortunately I really don't want to loose weight and can't loose any more. I have lost a pond a week since October. Since Topomax (topamax) is the only medication that has accurately taken care of my migraines I am now on a high calorie diet. Has there been many to experience drastic weight loss? I was not heavy to begin with and was a runner with a high metabolism. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I really enjoy not having migraines but do not want to be skin and bones either.  
I started taking Topamax about a year ago.  I had all the above side effects.  Weight loss did happen for me, i lost about 10 lbs.  The tingles subsided after about a week and after about 3 weeks my memory started to come back.  I would be in the middle of a sentence and forget completly what I was saying.  The soda tasting weird drove me crazy, while taking the medicine I couldnt drink any at all, but if i forgot to take the medicine for a day or two I would get severe cravings for soda and it tasted fine until i took another pill.

I was on a combination of Topamax and Zoloft to combat depression.  For a while it was working great, then my depression came back in full forces while I was still taking the medicine.  

I stopped taking both and gained back those 10 pounds.  I cannot stop eating.  My doctor put me on Wellbutrin SR and I started that last night. I may go back on the Topamax and just deal with the side effects.  I need to get rid of this extra weight.  
I suffered from daily headaches my senior year of high school. The neurologist put me on topomax (topamax) in November and by January I had lost atleast 10 pounds. By the time I started college I had lost 20 pounds. I also experienced the tingly feeling in my feet and hands. Pop was the only thing that tasted funny. I don't remember ever losing my appetite or eating less. I did have a kidney stone episode, and that was due to not drinking enough water and being on topomax (topamax). I stopped taking it my freshmen year of college, and have gained most of the weight back. They say Topomax (topamax) sometimes only needs to be taken for short periods of time. It has been about six months since I have taken any, and my headaches are back. It really does work, just be very aware of the side effects.
I have suffered with headaches for several years now. I was unable to stand them any longer I work in the medical field and hate the thought of taking a lot of medicine. My Dr. prescribed TMax for me almost a month ago and I have already lost ten pounds. I am not grossly overweight but I was informed this was a side effect but I believe this is due more to the eating habit changes you undergo from being unable to drink sugary sweet soda's and unable to consume high fructose items due there overwhelming taste. I have noticed chronic dry mouth, I use to never drink water maybe 20oz a day if any now I am up to 2L a day so that speaks leaps and bounds about the weight loss factor. I don't believe it curbs your appetite I believe it makes your food taste too sweet and/or an iron taste hence the water/ice craving.  
Ok people, heres my story... I took Topamax for 3 years and, yes I did lose a huge amount of weight (175 lbs to 107 lbs)  I lost it all in the first 8 months but I am a biology major and I also lost my brain.  My family noticed I couldn't remember simple things (let alone what my studies required).  I was not even the same person.  After 3 years and failing a semister of classes I went off of it.  I feel soooooo smart again :)  but I did gain almost 20 pounds in 6 months.  Before I never worked out, I just didn't care to eat ANYTHING.  Now I have had to put some work into it.  I work out everyday and really try to watch what I eat.  I am still in school so there is no way I can go back on it even though my headaches are terrible.  I think I would rather be toned and have muscle and have a brain then look like a super model and not be able to accomplish simple tasks.  My degree is more important than being super skinny and if I have to work extra hard to look good I will gladly do it.  I don't want to be a joke with no memory just to keep at a super low weight.  Will power and good habits can accomplish the same results if you are dissaplined and determined.  As for the headaches I think the exercise helps and getting enough sleep.  Theres no super medication that is not going to have powerful side effects.  Being lazy and eating the wrong foods will make most people gain weight.  It feels good to take control and keep my brain.
I have been able to keep my weight maintained, thank goodness, but lower than my husband and family would like it (103). I have not experienced a drastic decrease in brain capacity or ability to remember things. I also work hard at maintaining these functions. I am a home school mom, with a teachers degree, so I am always on my toes. I also at times experience tingling in my feet. I believe keeping my body active with exercise helps. I ensure that I take my vitamins and always consume enough protein and vegetables. I went from 5 or 6 major migraines to 1 or 2 minor migraines a month. I will take this. I no longer want to cut my head off.. :)
My Aunt has recommended for me to take this Topomax (topamax) anti depressant...or mood stabilizer, (I am not sure which one it is) as I have recently been diagnosed with Bipolar 2.  I usually have depression most of the time, but once in about 3 years I will have a Hyper manic episode lasting up to a month or 2, depending if I am heavily drinking.  Those episodes have started after a miscarriage.  I am on (Bupropion) Wellbutrin SR 200 mg, Lamotrigine 50mg, and Quetiapine (Seroquel) 25mg.  I have been battling with my weight after having my son 15 years ago...I was a teen mum and when he was 3 years old I was finally diagnosed with Hypothyroidism.  I am on Synthroid 137 mg.  
I am 5'5 and have been weighing between 155 lbs to 162 lbs.  Since I started the mood stabilizers last year I went from 162 lbs to 185 lbs!  My Dr. told me that the Wellbutrin would help me loose weight as it would suppress my appetite.  Not only do I eat all the time, (I CANNOT STOP!!! I HATE IT!!!!) but I feel depressed as well...so I don't think they are working for me...as it's been a year.  Although I am not going hyper manic, which is a good thing as I would rather be depressed than be on a high.  
So what I am wondering is if anyone has tried these medications and suffered from the same side effects, then tried this Topomax (topamax) and had better results.  If so, I would greatly appreciate any feedback.
Here's to being mentally unstable!  It's a great life, isn't it?  Not!
Ok, let's put it this way. When your Dr told you that Wellbutrin would make you lose weight, he was talking about a Possible side effect. Now you're looking at Topamax for weight loss. Topamax induced weight loss is only a Possible side effect.

Also (as a general rule) Topamax is not as good of a mood stabilizer as the Lamotrigine that you're already on. Topamax focuses itself on the temporal lobes whereas Lamotrigine spreads itself out more. If your problems aren't mostly in your temporal lobes then Topamax will only give you the wonderful side effects of "cognitive dulling". (there's a reason that it's also called Stupimax & Dopeamax)

If you are still feeling depressed then go back to your psych dr and let him/her know. It can take a while to figure out what meds are going to work for you and what dosages you need to be at.
OK. I'm doing quite well, and am looking at Topomax (topamax) again for the weight loss effect for myself.  Have any of you experienced hives, itching, etc... from Topomax (topamax)?
Hives and itching are not normal reactions to Topamax. You need to get yourself to a doctor ASAP.

If you were my friend I'd grab you & your Topamax and drive you both to the ER.
I am also a bipolar type 2 sufferer... I have been on Topomax (topamax) for about 5 years, as well as anti-depressants (currently on Prestiq).  I don't know about this other person suggesting that Topomax (topamax) is not really effective as a mood stabilizer, but according to my psychiatrist and my pharmapsychologist it is, but of course it depends on the person. If you are looking for the benefit of losing weight, as others have suggested you might not necessarily get that with Topomax (topamax). I did lose 30 lbs the first month that I was on it. I wasn't hungry at all... anything sweet tasted too sweet, including fruit. To this day I still can't stand to eat anything sweet because it turns my stomach. I maintained my weight loss for about 2 years and then I ended up gaining the weight back. One nasty side effect has been kidney stones. I've had 15 up to now... with 2 coming down and 3 more waiting to come down. I didn't have kidney stones before I started Topomax (topamax). Is weigh loss that important to you???
You said, "I don't know about this other person suggesting that Topomax (topamax) is not really effective as a mood stabilizer, but according to my psychiatrist and my pharmapsychologist it is"

Hi, I'm that "other person" I never said or suggested that Topamax is not really effective as a mood stabilizer. That would be really silly of me since I take it as a mood stabilizer.  What I said was that Topamax focuses itself in the temporal lobes and if your brain cooties don't live in your temporal lobes then you're not going to get much mood stabilization from the Topa.

Here's the direct quote of what I said, "Also (as a general rule) Topamax is not as good of a mood stabilizer as the Lamotrigine that you're already on. Topamax focuses itself on the temporal lobes whereas Lamotrigine spreads itself out more. If your problems aren't mostly in your temporal lobes then Topamax will only give you the wonderful side effects of "cognitive dulling"."
I took 50mgs 2x day for 6 months and I lost a significant amount of hair! That is one of the main side effects along with weight loss. It's not worth it to lose hair to lose weight!!!!! I also experienced needles and pin sensations in my feet, another side effect. I stopped taking it for migraines and use vicodin 500 mg when needed. I wouldn't recommend Topamax to ANYONE due to the hair loss!!!!!
Been on Topamax for only three evenings. I also take Wellbutrin and have taken Wellbutrin since I quit smoking in 2006. Wellbutrin helped keep me from gaining weight during my battle with quitting smoking, which is amazing and made cigarettes taste horrible. The side effects were minimal but the shakiness was by far the most annoying and continues to be. I lost a significant amount of hair in late 2007 & early 2008 and continue to loose quite a bit because I had lost 50lbs being on a hardcore exercise & nutrition plan. I don't think it was Wellbutrin that cause weight loss. I have really thin hair already, I went to my dermatologist, endocarnalogist, gynacalogist, PCP, you name it - to address the issue and no luck. **I take biotin and evening primrose oil and that seems to help some with the hair loss** both are available over the counter at most grocery stores and all health stores/vitamin stores.

I am on 25mg Topamax for extreme migraines and will be on 50mg after 7 days, then after a month or two up to 75mg then eventually 100mg. I haven't noticed a difference in anything yet. I'm really tired now but I am still taking antibotics from having a sinus infection, so that may have something to do with it. Plus, I am a full-time college student, full-time employee and full-time mother - so I'm pretty much always exhausted. I noticed it has been a little more difficult to spell when taking notes over the past two days, or maybe its a coincidence.

I would like to benefit from the weight loss of Topamax as I have been recently started Lexapro a month ago (in addition to my Wellbutrin) and I've already gained weight. I'm going to talk to my Dr. about stopping the Lexapro and just staying on the Topamax once I get to a high enough dose. I haven't noticed any difference in smells or the taste of foods so far with Topamax like many have, but maybe its too early in the process. Plus, I do not drink any carbonated beverages (ever). It would be nice to loose about 20lbs, to get me in the "safe" category for my size, age, and frame.

How long did it take before people noticed a reduced appetite? I haven't noticed it yet, but its only been two days, and I'm only taking 25mg. I have been getting some stomach pains and cramps (but sometimes my stomach acts out for no apparent reason, I'm lactose intolerant, so my indigestion system is very touchy). Please advise. Thanks. Oh, and I promise to keep this post up to date to let you know if I have lost any weight or had any unwanted side effects
The effect of the taste will take two weeks and it is only on carbonated beverages so you will not notice since you don't drink them.  The weight loss is gradual. You will skip meals / snacks and not be hungry - that will take about two weeks also.  It takes awhile to build up in your system first.  I have been on it since January for severe Migraines and my dose is 50mg twice a day which it is keeping it at bay.  I also take Relpax 40mg for a sudden onset of a migraine.  I used to use them like candy until I started on Topamax.  I would go through 3 pills a week but now about 3 pills a month if that.  

With the topamax it will cause you to forget simple words that you use daily but after you hit your level - you will learn to control it.  It doesnt effect me anymore.

Good luck in your migraine control.

Rose
Thanks so much for your response. I also take Relpax, about 3 times per week and they are SO SO SO expensive. They are like $26 per pill!! So I HATE taking them, I end up taking tons of ibuprofen, excedrin and other pills before resorting to Relpax because they are so costly - which is no good for your body! So, I'm very happy to be on Topamax. I haven't had any real migraines yet, though I have had headaches everyday up  for the past 10 days until three days ago - I had just recently tapered off Lexapro. Ever since Lexapro has been out of my system the headaches have been gone. But, I have had migraines since I was a teenager and they dramatically increased during my 20's and only gotten worse in my 30's.

Thanks so much for your advice about the Topamax, its good to know that i just need to be a little more patient, and I'll likely get past the rough patches and maybe loose some weigh if I give it time, although I know everyone's body responds differently.

Thanks again!
Just started the Tmax last week. I have been prescribed it for Migraine prevention and have had them pretty much my entire life or as far back as i can remember.
So far my concerns are the loosing my train of thought mid-way through my sentence. I mean it is so irritating! Plus is anyone experiencing numbness and tingling in their arms and face? Let me know I dont know if it is something I should be worried about or not.
The carbonated beverage thing has also been noticed but that doesnt bother me because it has made me stop drinking pepsi! lol
I did ALOT of research before starting on Topamax and rarely did I read about the side effect that I am experiencing. It is mentioned on most medical sites as a common side effect but not one discussed in forums, it may help others experiencing it also - upper respiratory infection. I came down with a nasty "cold "on day 7 of taking Topamax ( I take 50mg twice a day), went to my psych on day 9 - he had told me that since I do not have a sore throat or fever it is the Topamax that is causing the symptoms of the cold (stuffy, runny nose and sneezing) and that it should go away. I am to take cold medication in the meantime to battle the symptoms if it persists I should go see the doctor to rule out an actual cold. If I do not have a cold and it still does not go away after 2 weeks he will lower my dose.

I also am writing a journal of my topamax journey:

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/index/1512520?personal_page_id=1890286
It took a long time, maybe 7 months for me to start getting relief from using topomax (topamax), and it helped me to go from 158 to 132, but it took time and I also exercised. I stopped taking it in August cuz me n hubby are trying to have a baby, but if I am not pregnant this month, we are gonna stop trying for a while til I get my weight under control. I was on 400mg and had to wean myself off of it before we could start trying. I decreased one pill every two weeks, then had to be off of it for a full month before we could start. I was unable to control my cravings and appetite during all this time and have gone from 135 to 162 in a very short period of time. I have started back exercising now. So topomax (topamax) did help with weightloss  and eventually helped with pain by decreasing the amount of migranes (migraines) I had per month. I may start taking it again if we are not pregnant this month, then wean myself off again when I reach my goal. This time I will do better with my appetite and cravings because I know what happened last time. Lots of luck to you and I hope this helped you in some way.
well i be been on it for a month now at 100mg, all side effects are gone including the sinus infection which was the worst for me. Not really losing any weight tho...which is weird cause its stopped all my cravings/snacking habits. I lost my appetite for the first 2 weeks. I now just eat my 3 meals a day, and when I m hungry between meals I dont crave anything in particular I just grab a fruit, the pre topamax me would of craved chips, ice cream, etc. Since its only been a month I m going to give it some more time. I ve lost about 5 pounds. I just expected about double that from reading other posts.  Im going to be upping my dose to 125 mgs this month and 150 next month. I m using it as mood stabilizer and to help lose weight from previous medication so my doctor really doesn't think I need to be on anything higher.
I have 'seizure disorder' due to having had two brain tumors that were removed. These tumors left me with a tendency for migraines. I was on Keppra XR, but it did not control the chronic headaches, so my neurologist added Topamax. He has now decided to increase my dosage of Topamax in order to take me off of Keppra XR for the seizures. Topamax will now control both the migraines and the seizure disorder. I have noticed now though that with the increase in Topamax, I have terrible night sweats EVERY NIGHT. Does anyone else have this side effect? I did suffer the weight loss just like all of you, thinking it was due to something else; now I realize it was the Topamax. That has stablized, although with the increase in dosage, I do not know if it will start up again. (I now weigh 100lbs, 5' 4") I just need to know if the night sweats are another common side effect before I start looking to my doctor for other explanations. Thank you for your help.
I've been on Topamax for mood disorder for about 6 years...200mg. For the first year I lost 70lbs.My doctor never told me about the weightloss side effect, although I am overweight.  Food tasted terrible and the only food I enjoyed was Romaine Lettuce with grated cheese and vinergarette dressing and plain whole wheat bread. I only drank water, which actually is healthy as it keeps the system cleaned out of toxins. My thoughts and words were terribly confused and couldn't concentrate to read or study and my memory was basicly gone. But my mood was level and that was the main purpose of taking the drug. This past year I've gained back about 20lbs and most foods taste normal although I still seem very sensitive to odours. The memory and confusion are better than they were and I still get the tingling in the feet at times. I feel Topamax is definitely doing the medical job with the mood stabalizing and I'll put up with the other side effects. I didn't realize it would help with headaches, but I rarely get a headache now, which is a bonus.
please inbox me if u want too lose weight without drugs n side effects.we are talking 2-10lbs lost a week...without diet.....
I have been finally diagnosed with migraines. nothing helped. i was tried on everything under the sun. then was perscribed Butorphnol Tatrate. the nose spray and what a difference. I have a medical condition called Neruofibramatosis. i have a mild case but have a lot of pain through out my body. Im currently taking Gabapentin for pain and for migraines but the side affects on that was or is slight depression and  25 pounds in less than 2 months. my dr now wants me to stop the Gabapentin and start me on Topamax.  although my migraines are under controll i do have a onset and for that i will use the Butorphnol Tatrate for instant reliefe. i can only hope the Topamax will help with my pain and migraines as well maybe shed the pounds Ganapentin gave me. ask your dr about the Butorphanol Tatrate for your migraines. there is side affects.

Mattie
Ihave been taking topamax for 9 years. And I have. Not lost. No weight no. Matter how. Hard. I try & my Dr thinks am not trying and gives Mr hell about it at every visit so why am I not loosing weight on them?

Hi.  I suffered from MAV (migraine associated vertigo).  I had been taking topomax (topamax) for 3 years and it was working great for me, maybe too great.  I was feeling great.  I was in great shape, eating whatever I wanted, working out on a regular basis.  It really changed my life.  I thought I was "better" so I went cold turkey.  I felt fine but started to notice my weight coming on really fast.  They my migraines came back and the vertigo.  Not immediate but after about 6 months.  After a year I have gained 30 pounds.  I have lost all my self esteem and deal with the migraines again.  I just started back on topomax (topamax) again.  My doctor was right and I will never question him again.  I WILL take this for thr rest of my life.
I do not have insurance now myself.  you can now get topamax at walmart  in a generic. it is a low price
I was put on topamax last august and the weight loss was negligable but nice.  I really wasn't all that overweight to begin with.

Since March I have been experiencing premature fullness that I suspect may be a result from this medication.   If it affects nerves, I wonder if it is not affecting the nerve that sends impulses to my stomach telling it that I am full.

Literally, I can take a few bites and feel abnormally full.  Might be coincidence, but on the nights when I accidentally skip doses, the following day, I can almost eat normally-only to have symptoms return the next morning and subsequent weeks with a vengence.  

Anybody else have anything like this at all!?

My neurologist doesn't seem to think this drug is to blame.  
I was put on this med to help my restless legs.  Is there anyone anyone out there that has had success with it for this?
I just started topamax a week ago, how long does it take to notice weight loss or loss of appitite? I havent noticed it yet. Im on 100Mg a day
i have a ? i was on topamax when i was 14 when they first diagnosed me with bipolar and it made me lose all.kinds of weight now i am back on it and im 22 and it seems like im not hardly losing anything. does anyone have any advice?
Hi there.  Very happy to have found this community and posts on Topamax.  Recently started on Topamax as both a seizure and migraine preventative.  Am up to 50mg twice per day but have not yet determined my therapeutic dose yet.  I knew about the glaucoma and kidney stone possibilities and have experienced some of the carbonated soda issues (oddly enough, the first swallow is flat, but subsequent ones are not, weird).  One thing that I think is a side effect that I didn't find anywhere but this community is the feeling of being foggy or slow sometimes.  I had just told my mom that sometimes I lose nouns.  It's like, I know what I mean and can describe it, but the word itself is just lost to me.  Know I know I'm not going senile at 40.  Thanks for all you share.  Very helpful.  ~Laura
I'm glad to know someone else is experience some facial problems with topomax (topamax) I started out with the 50mg and now I'm up to 200mg per night and I have a discoloration around my mouth and dry mouth, and itching on my lips and numbness all the time, I have lost some weight, I can't seem to remember some things I used to remember, sometimes I wonder am I going crazy or what?, I have terrible headaches, I like the weight loss., I have a old husband he love young women so I need to keep the weight off. My lips stay numb, I vomiting a lot too. I been using vaseline, cocoa butter, lip balm on my lips but they still be peel and so dry skin peel off. Will someone please help me I 've tried everything, I've spent all kind of money.
Second day of taking 25 mg X  2 for weight loss I'm stopping it.  It wigged me out...fatigue, dizziness and ended up crying for no reason at the end of the second day.  As far as hunger goes...wanted to eat anything in sight.
I took topomax (topamax) for trigeminal neuralgia for a couple years. The mind fog and spacey affect was awful. I have noticed a huge effect on the ability to focus and finish my work since I have weaned off of Topomax (topamax). My dentist just told me I have receding gum lines, probably Topomax (topamax). It also changed my urine output and gave a feeling like I had a bladder infection. I am still searching for relief of my daily pain. It is not easy.
I have been on Topamax for a little over 4 years. I started at 25mg and now take 200mg twice a day. I take it for cronic (chronic) severe migraines. I do have the tingles in my fingers and my toes, and I lost 83 pounds in the first year. It counteracts all of the birth control I have taken and has messed me up for a while before. Before I started taking it I had a headache every day, I didn't realize how bad my head hurt until it stopped hurting. I won't stop taking it until they come up with something better. I never took it for weight loss. I ran out one time and it caused me to have a seizure. my life at work and home has been very different since I quite having headaches.
Viewing 201-246 comments: