Weight Loss Alternatives Community
What dosage of Topamax causes weightloss?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

Viewing 601-629 comments:
I just started taking phentermine and topamax a week and a half ago. I am experiencing the unpleasant side effects of being foggy, a little jittery, bad taste in my mouth, slight head ache, etc. Do these seem to persist for most people? Or do they subside with a little more time. Just wondering if my body will adjust. Thanks  OH, about 4 pounds gone!
Wait, so am I the only one who experienced terrible diarrhea everyday that I took Topamax, and became even more distractable than when I was being treated for ADHD?
why would you congratulate someone on unsuccessful unhealthy weight loss
i dont know if its just me but it seems as though there is a lot of attacking going on with a certain someone on this site and not enough focus on the subject!  
I am 50 I have been on Topamax for almost a year. Lost almost 40 pound and my memory as well. I am getting help for the memory stuff. Seeing a neurologist and taking a zillion test. Hope to get help there. 200mg is NOT the therapeutic dose for migraines. Who put you that high? That's seizure dosage. I'm a retired Pharmacy Tech and that's never been prescribed for migraines in that dose since 1990 anyway. I'd get a second opinion, especially with the bad side effects your are experiencing for your age. Get another opinion before something bad happens.
Where have I said that people taking Topamax is the "lazy way out"?

Taking any medication and hoping to not get the actual effect OR any of the many side effects except for the ONE specific side effect that you want doesn't, and will never, make any sense to me.

I've also said that many, if not most, people are not properly informed about the medication when it is prescribed. Most doctors don't mention that your hair could fall out or you could get glaucoma. I know I wasn't. I know many other people that weren't. I think that people deserve to get the info so I post it. I didn't lose weight but I sure lost a ton of hair. I had to go look up side effects in the Topamax PI sheet online. The Topamax also gave me nystagmus; another thing that I figured out when I read the PI sheet.

You're taking Topa in order to get the effects of the medication. If you happen to get a nice side effect then that's great. I've never posted anything negative about people that are taking it in order to get the actual effects of the med. In my posts here I've helped specific people with their questions and tried to refer folks to places that can give them the assistance/information that they need. - The issue comes with the people that are taking it and hoping to NOT get the effect of the med and to NOT get any of the bad side effects but TO get the one side effect that appeals to them. - In what world does that make sense?
Yes, the side effects should subside within the next week or so. The headache may ease up some if you try eating bananas and drinking some gatorade. A lot of people have a hard time adjusting to the way their body is now processing vitamins/minerals so doing things like the bananas and gaorade can help. If you don't normally take a multivitamin you might want to start now. The fogginess should also start to fade out in a week or three. Lots of folks get it hence the nicknames "dopamax" and "stupamax". There's no way to tell if the fog is going to stick around or not until more time has passed.

The bad taste may be partially due to a dry mouth - you can try using Biotene toothpaste, the gum is pretty good too. You can try hard candies as well. Another thing that really helped me were those little disposable no-water-needed toothbrushes, they come with a few per packet and you can keep them in your purse or car.
Nope, you're not the only one. Topa can cause diarrhea or constipation. Usually it's the second but it can definitely cause the diarrhea.

The distractibility is one of the side effects. It can range from being easily distracted all the way up to not being able to remember much of anything. I had word finding issues and was constantly gesturing to try and get the word meaning across because I couldn't remember the word. And I mean looking up at the sky and saying that it's a beautiful shade of..... um... that color... you know, like for baby boys...  
I was being snarky.

Although I do have to say that I find it interesting you chose to comment on only the last 10 words of that post. You didn't comment on the rest of the post (almost 200 words) where I explained what the effects of losing weight too quickly can be. So in that post what I wrote was about 95% solid medical information and about 5% snark.

If you're so terribly offended by that 5% that you missed the 95% then I don't know what to tell you.
I completely understand where you're coming from.... .but don't waste your time on someone who doesn't.... they aren't worth your time.  How have things been going for you?
This drug was not given to me just to lose weight quickly .... my body was in a dire situation I couldn't even raise my arms ....5 days in I can move without hurting .... it is a start ... next time you are gonna comment on a post you might want to look up the word empathy .. jescawiles
When I started off with 25mg for one well then moved to 50 mg for 3 weeks I ate everything I could but now I'm one 100mg and I'm not Humphrey all the time an  I can not over eat even if I tried my brain won't let I sometime have to force my self to eat just remember  you must always eat never skip eating it's not healthy
Hi I started the off brand of topamax because  I have bipolar and I have gained 50 lbs with other meds I'm 5'2 I am lucky I do Cary very  but I'm sad about it. I started off with 25 mg for a week an  within 3 days I felt great o was a new person never felt like this never  been this  happy I wanted to cry crazy huh then I moves up to 50mg for 3 weeks I had eat everything I'm site so I though ohh no not gain but decided to wait  it out now I'm on 100mg and noticed I'm not as hungrey and mood  at  better an overview never  slept Bette  only side effect is painfully tingle in my feet. But I don't even get the weird pop taste that everyone else is getting pop taste 100% the same to me but I do crave lots an  lots of water
Hi, I was drawn to your post about topirate. I could have wrote this post, I to have suffered with migraine all my adult life and I understand what your mean about triptans. The first time I took a triptan within an hour I was pain free it was like a miracle. I'm now 53 and going through the menopause and my migraines are back at least twice a week and the triptan don't work as well, plus I'm not comfortable taking too many. I can handle all the other thing that go with the menopause but the headaches are just too much. A few years ago when I first started the menopause I was prescribed amytriptyline and they worked well at first but now they've stop being any help. Today the doctor proscribed topirate but after reading all the negative posts on this site I considered not taking it and just thought of riding the menopause storm to the end with no medication at all. Your post has given me hope and what I'd really like to hear is topirate helped you through and you've come out the other side and are now migraine free. I hope to hear from you soon with some good news.
Thank you
I have been doing alot of online research and information gathering about Topiramate.  Not because I was lucky enough to have someone like girrl88 taking time out of her busy day to crusade for me, but because I honestly trusted MY PHARMASIST to adequately warn me of the most dangerous side affects of ths, and for any matter, any drug I take.  That's what they do in this small town I am from...usually.  Unfortunately the Drs. we see are PA s working here a few years so they can get a break on thier student loans.  I began a few days at the begining of your community and I think I have read just about all the posts.  I did get anxious to get to the end to see if it was still going on and to see if girrl88 (which is my lucky nmber) was still here.  I am going to tell you my story trying to keep it as briet as possible, but I am a bit confused on a few issues that I for me are completely different and I am wondering why, so maybe you guys know. First of all been obese all my life, haven't let it keep me from anything, especially happieness, finding out late in lite I could possibly have cushing's disease and will be tested soon.  I, for the first time in my life are not being turned down for health care so I am getting the care I need.  Despite being active and eating a healthy diet I struggle.  How I came about Topamax.  I am a caregiver.  I take care of a woman who struggles with alcohol.  Her Dr. at mental health prescribed her a low dose of topamax, 25 mg a day to help decrease her desire for alcool.  She takes it, it helps her, she is also bipolar, she says she isn't sure if she notices anything different with that, but she weighed probably 145 and within a few months she was down to 125 and thrilled.  At her appointment the Dr. said that was a side effect.  She hadn't really noticed any big changes in eating.  Maybe less Vodka but she really doesn't drink much.  I didn't see anyone else mention taking it for alcohol..  My PA was leaving, as he was going I mentioned Topomax (topamax) to him and weight loss.  A couple of weeks later, Jan 15th of this year I got a call from the pharmacy that I had a script to be picked up, I went and got them.  It was Topirimate  200 mg tablets, twice a day. Now, I am one to look at the paper that comes with it, I did, drink plenty of water, may cause dizzyness, blah blah, nothing that stood out to be alarming to me.  So, happy me, I started taking them.  I noticed immediately a huge drop in my hunger pains that I daily struggle to ignore. Really didn't think about food, didn't hink about the pills, didn't think about alcohol, now although I generally don't drink on a steady basis our family is together often and there is always drinking going on.  At this time I was weighing 350 it takes alot of alcohol to even get a buzz. The Topiramate took away my want for alcohol.  Didn't care one bit.  ok, so....the bad news is, all of a sudden I noticed that all around my mouth inside my lips my mouth felt like it was on fire,  I told my husband I can't have any more of those sugar free popsicles, they are tearing up my mouth.  I was also feeling really tired and kinda goofy, I quit eating popsicles and my mouth got worse and I developed this bad, thick, chest cough.  So, I decided to look up toprimate side effects online. Before I go any further, let me say, that was my first month, my new perscription was in and I had been taking the new ones for three days or so and everything started clearing up.  Didn't think too much of it at the time but the first perscription had come from a pharmacy that was not my usual pharmacy.  So things are getting better but OMG.  There are several possible side effects of this particular medication that should be written in red on the bag?  girrrlll88  There is your frontline.  They need to read that on the bag.  By the time they look on here, that pill is gonna be in thier mouth.  OK,,,,,So I didn't see anyone mention this,,,,,different generic manufacturers use different fillers.  What was in that first Topiramate which was mfg by zygenerics. It gave me yellow thrush on my tongue, my mouth tasted like salt.  for three days everything I ate tasted like salt.  good for weightloss and I would have been all for it if I could have brushed my teeth.  girrrlll88  The generic that I take that is working well for me an believe me I am educated and I am watching for the signs, is made by TEV  So here is what is good,  Jan, Feb, Mar, 60 pounds off.  I didn't even see it coming.  It was 42 pounds when I first stepped on.  Of course with people as obese as I am there is always alot of water that comes off in the begining but I alrealy feel SO MUCH BETTER!   OK, so why hasn't anyone told me I should take some of it at night?  I have already made an appointment with my eye doctor.  The thing that freaked me out the most was the carb thing. I do not see this as something I want to take much longer. Although at my age I am finally kind of feeling like I am a bit desperate.  I remember back in the seventies when there was was only me and one other fat chick in town.  :)  I know there are people who believe that the only reason people are fat is because they are lazy and they can't shut thier pie holes.  Not always true people.  We all need to find our own way.  Thank for caring about people like me giirrll88

I think it's weird that there is so much bickering going on in here about what women are choicing to chat about, weight loss or not ? It's a symptom....it's something we are supposed to talk about....good or bad...anyway, that's not my attribute to the conversation.

I just started the generic brand as a mood stabalizer and to help with my four day binge migraine. Not liking the dopie dazes, and I seem to get restless at night. Anxiouty, I'm taking my lorazepam to calm down. From the looks of your posts it's ok to consult a "cut back" to stabalizer my dose with my doctor. I'm currently up to 50 ml in the am and at night 100 ml a day....Thanx, you taught me something important here. Not many have mentioned, that I could see....about being tired all the time...I'm exhausted during the day! I nap....totally not like me...I hate it! Don't get my mini anxiouty rushes at nights confused with restless sleep....I have seen a few of you ladies mention you don't sleep well, I'm sleeping through the night, but I'm tired all day! Thanx ladies for all your sharing, it's very helpful for the newbies! Does anyone have advice for the lethargic???
I just started the generic form of Topamax is one of the side effects itching because I itch all over I finally got over the tingling in the hands and feet I am at my target dose which is 200mg I dont have any other side effects accept losing weight I have lost 10 pounds I hope I continue to lose weight I need to my head aches are gone which I am grateful I have been on Topamax for a little over three weeks and have had only one head ache since I have been on it
I want to start off my saying that I am obese and have been most of my life. My highest weight was 365 and that was in August of 2012. My doctor has had me on different things before, most over the counter stuff. Things would work a little than I would gain it all back. But Topamax has worked for me. Started at and am still at 200mg. It is a slow process. But I think thats a healthy way to lose weight. If you lose it fast it just comes back on fast. Ive lost 75 pounds since Aug 2012. I am still obese and lately, about the last three months or so, I havent lose anything. So Im going to talk with my doctor and she if will up my dose to maybe 250mg.

Topamax just makes you not care about food anymore. And food was my everything before. Also it makes certain things taste bad, like soda, bleh. But its a good thing, you shouldnt drink that junk anyway.

Hopefully this is encouraging for some people. Just give it time and the weight does come off. Also apparently some people lose hair? I did not lose any.
I just started on 15mg of topomax (topamax) April 22nd. I am supposed to increase to 30mg as of the 29th of this month but after reading these posts I just want to stop this medication. I was prescribed this for exersion headaches. The Neurologist mentioned possible side effects such as tingling hands and feet and kidney stones but NEVER mentioned the consequences of coming off this medication... Quite frankly scaring the crap out of me reading all this stuff. Now I don't even know if I should stop it now.... I currumbaa!
I just started 2 weeks ago taking 25mg at night the 1st week and now 25mg twice a day. I was prescribed topomax (topamax) for migraines and weight loss. I totally felt the same way you did!  I was super scared to take it after reading all of the possibly side effects. I felt the same way when the dr. Prescribed me Wellbutrin for seasonal effective disorder after reading all the possibly bad side effects for that too. But, I broke down and finally took the Wellbutrin and it worked wonders! So, I talked myself into trying the topomax (topamax) hoping for the same results. Fingers crossed!
So far all I've had is the tingling in the hands and feet. I've lost 3lbs and soda and beer taste flat. Which kinda ***** cause I like a cold beer on a hot summer day. I'll keep you posted on my progress. If you stay on it, will you keep me posted too?
I am kinda of nervous too from taking this medication after reading all these post.. I just started my first 25mg today for weight lost . A little nervous and paranoid..Dr started me on 25mg suppose to increase to 2 at bedtime ..but I'm super nervous bout the side effects as confusion memory loss. How long does these side effects suppose to last?
My daughter has just started taking Topamax for her Headaches not for weight loss she has Seizures  but she is having soreness in her rib area and wondering if anyone else has had this issue it is not listed just wondering if possiable ..
I too just started topomax (topamax). 25mg after each meal, 3 times a day, I'm suffering from extreme bloating and stomach nausea. Anyone else with these side effects. Good luck.
This is week 4 for me. Only side effects I'm having are the pins and needles feeling in my hands and feet. I read in one of the other post to eat bananas and it helps. I started that a week ago, and it actually did. So if u get that side effect try eating a banana. I'm still at 50 mg only down 8 ponds. So my Dr. Upped me to 75mg for 1 week, then 100mg after that. I haven't been paranoid, or confused nor have I had any memory problems. But, I've heard some of those symptoms might happen at a higher dosage. I'll keep u posted on my progress now that I'm upping my dosage.
I have taken Wellbutrin for13 years my 8 years with no problem.  I went to a pharmacy they sold me my generic Wellbutrin manufactured by teva I was sick depression worse couldn't get off the couch. New something was different I found out that they changed manufactures I went back and had them find me some of what I had been taken till I could get to the bottom of what was going on! I have just had a similar problem with Wellbutrin manufactured by venture.ended up in hospital same as above severely debressed couldn't snap out of it till they started me on new manufactiure
I was on Topamax for nine years for migraines. My dosage was 100 mg twice a day. Initially it reduced my migraines from 10-15 per month to 3-5 per month. I lost about 15 lbs initially. Over the years my weight fluctuated but I was able to stay around 150lbs. Side effects was memory lost and tingling in feet/fingers. I went off Topamax about three weeks ago because I was losing my hair and unbearable ITCHING!  Now the itching has subsided but in three weeks, I've gained 10lbs. I should mention that I am 57 years old and it's hard for me to lose weight.  The weight gain will not stop. If I look at food I gain weight. Headaches seem to be coming back also.
This gives me some hope. I herniated a disc april 2013 after picking up my toddler to put her in a tub, after a year of horrible a nerve pain I finally had a lumbar laminectomy. I felt great. However, not even a month after the surgery I slipped, hard and fell flat on my butt and reinjured my back.

However, I didn't reherniate my disc, I only had a disc bulge. And because I am only 29, the surgeon would not do another surgery telling me I was too young for a fusion, which was the only surgical treatment that could fix the bulge. After getting a 2nd and 3rd opinion, I was told the same thing.

I have gained 30 pounds since then. I have done a round of prednisone, tried gralise (a form of gabapentin), nortriptyline, Lyrica, celebrex, meloxicam, diclofinac, etc. Everything made me gain weight, and nothing helped.

Finally I said, lets try topamax. I was on topamax years ago when I was getting headaches, and I got off topamax after a while because my headaches went away and after I went off the topamax the headaches did not come back. So I have only been on it for a few days now, and knowing that it has helped you with your back pain gives me hope that it will help me with mine!
I've been taking 50 mg of generic topamax for about 4 months as a mood stabilizer and also to hopefully shed off weight. I lost 15 lbs.  which is a good thing since I was weighing 200 lbs from being on other meds. For about two weeks now, I've been on 100 mg it seems like I'm eating, eating eating!  I also weighed myself and and I gained two pound in the last week.  
I was told to give my body time to adjust to the 100 mg, but I'm gaining weight back and I'm wondering if this has happened to others when taking a higher dose of topamax? I thought for sure going up to 100 mg would help me lose some more since I seemed to have stopped losing weight after losing the 15 lbs on the 50 mg.
thanks in advance for any advice.
How long does it take to see weight loss? if any topamax
Actually, I monitored my migraines vs barometric pressure for a year and I have found a HUGE link (I live in MA).  I've had chronic migraine since I was 10 (I'm now over 40) and I've done a bazillion different things.  I started noting pressure changes on a whim years ago when I got a weather station as a gift for Christmas.  When there's a quick change in pressure or the pressure goes below 990mb I feel like my brain is trying to crawl out of my head. 994, I'm okay, 992 I'm starting to feel uncomfortable.  It's a different threshold for everyone. I can always tell when it's started raining during the night, or a vicious thunderstorm is on the way.
My Pain Management Doctor put me onTopamax several years ago for occipital migraines. It was horrible! I ended up with nuropathy in my left arm and the brain fog was so bad I couldn't spell simple words! Then I became completely paranoid! I thought I was going crazy! My migraines did go away and I lost 30 pounds but the side effects were so extream! Please do your homework before taking this medication! My Doctor has it on my allergic list along with morphine and opiates. I wish everyone pain free days and nights!
I too did the same thing. Was on Topamax for years for migraines. It helped but I too thought it wasn't good to be on a drug for so long. I went off and the headaches returned and the weight also has been creeping back.  I have heard the second time on it doesn't result in weight loss. Have you had success? Also, did you have hair loss?
Thanks!
Hi MarLen55 I'm on the topoiramate 50mg: two week before I stared I was no  the 5-bite diet, so  I had a head start. I'm going to stay on the 5-bite and not take the pill everyday I started in may of this year at 197lb,with the 5-bite, and the doctor gave me the topiramate 50mg on the 26th of june , and now  july 2014 and I I'm 168lb .

SO THE TRICK IS TO MAKE YOUR STOMACH SMALL
You are truly refreshing! Your honesty, sense of humor and obvious knowledge of this drug was a joy to read. Kudo's for giving Giirrll88 credit for taking the time to educate us all. Good luck with your weight loss and also for I commend you for being a care giver. As a lung cancer survivor, I know that there is not enough credit given to the care givers..I believe sometimes it is hardest on them!
I only started losing a little weight at 75 mg.
Thank you for being so understanding and kind. I do try to give all the info I can but sometimes my delivery is harsh due to my frustration.

I really appreciate that you took the time to thank me - it's not something that I expected. Many folks want to fight with me over snarky things I've said. They miss the fact that I've basically translated all the physician's prescribing information into normal human language.

I'm not anti-Topamax. I'm not even completely against using Topamax for weight loss. My issues come because most doctors don't explain the pros and cons. When doctors don't tell folks about the possible bad side effects then the patients have no idea what to look out for and that irritates me to no end. Honestly, I feel that it is my duty to give out the information that I have. If I can provide information that helps even one person then I've served my purpose. When I read a post saying that someone tried bananas for the tingling and it worked - well, it just makes me stupidly happy. :)

So again, thank you so much for understanding what I'm trying to do here. You've just make my day!
I have been fighting Migraines for the last 6 years mostly caused from stress from work. When I was dx with Migraines I was taking a sub-lingual pill called Maxalt (this does work) you have to take one tablet and place it under your tongue as you feel a migraine coming on. It will help lessen the pain with the migraine or sometimes will stop it. I had great luck with that medicine. But I wish the manufacture would just change the taste of the pill, its fast dissolve and strong peppermint taste. Sometimes it can cause you to become nausea, I have medicine for that Zofran works great.

I just starting Topamax for my tension headaches. I noticed in the last month that the tension headaches are just as bad as my Migraines. I am currently taking 50 mg.

My question is are you taking any other Migraine medicine with your prescription of Topamax too? If you haven't tried Maxalt, I would try asking your family doctor for a few samples or 30 days to see if the medicine works.
I have been on Topamax for YEARS. After about a year, I was increased to 100 mg. It was at that point that I experienced weight loss. I was trying to lose weight anyway and it became easier and I didn't put it together at first that it was my increased dose. That was about 8 years ago. Fast forward. I gained weight due to LACK OF ENERGY. I am tired all of the time. I moved; changed insurances. I was off my meds for several months. Headaches returned. Finally got insurance. Got meds. Getting back on Topamax did not help my weight loss. I am currently at 300 mg a day (split at 150 2x day).

The only other side effect I have "for sure" is the tingling and I experience that at each time my dose was increased. Otherwise, now it is only when I stand in one place too long, my feet will tingle. But no more luck on the weight loss. I am losing weight now, but it is no thanks to this meds. However, I found this post because I was researching still looking for why I'm tired all the time. Wondering now if it is this medicine ... being on it for so long.
I would like to hear more from you about the 5 bite diet!  I had the gastric bypass 14 years ago and put on Topomax (topamax) 8 years ago for migraines.  I lost 35 lbs and then quit taking the topomax (topamax) cause of cost at the time and gained the weight back.  Now I am back on them and the weight is not coming back off. I need to get the weight back off HELP!!  Can you e-mail me any information that will help me
I have been on Topamax for awhile, none of it was to help with migraines. Mine was prescribed for seizures. The first dose I was on was 100mg twice a day and and I lost 70 pounds. Then I got put on lamcatal which didn't work for me and gained it all back. I am back on Topamax the doctor put me 200mg twice a day but just recently changed it to 100mg in the morning and 200mg at night, since I was taking a total of 400mg before. With the 200mg twice a day I ended up aggressive behavior toward my loved ones which isn't me. Just got dose changed two days ago so haven't noticed any changes yet.
My doctor just put me on Topamax a week ago. He added it on to the Lamictol I take for my Seizures. 50 mg 2x day. I have had the worst bloating, I feel like (and look like) i swallowed a watermellon. I have gained 6lb even though I have totally lost my appetite and have barely eaten anything! have the bad diarrhea and feel dizzy and have shortness of breath! So does anyone know if this only temporary?
I know what u mean,,,I dealt with migraines all my life n I went to a dr n she gave me topamax n it worked great...I took it at night n woke up headache free....but juss like most ppl I didn't know u cud lose weight from it,,I have only been on it for maybe 3 month n lost 30lbs n like some ppl on here I have to force myself to eat but ALSO thirsty for TONS N TONS OF WATER...I use to drink tea but now it is water all the time,,but now I have to go back cause they said I lose weight to fast n they r worried,,but hope everything works for u,,cause they do work on my headaches n it feels good for once to wake up with no headaches,,ooh it's better if u take them at night time cause it works better n ur not as tired during the day when u take them during the day,,hope tht helps u....
I came here to find information about Topamax before I decided if I want to take it for weight loss. In the past I had been successful at losing weight on weight watchers. Over the last five years I have gain 50lbs and nothing I do diet wise has help. I lose about 4-5 Ibs the nothing more. I become so frustrated and embarrassed about my weight. I used to have migraines when I was in my 20's, but I was never prescribed anything for them. I just suffered through them. Taking Tylenol or any such OTC medication even touch the pain, which I'm the rest of you know. I heard about Topamax from a family member that was suffering with migraines. He was losing weight also. So I ask my doctor about trying it for my weight loss. I can't taking any of the approved weight loss medication because I take immunosuppressant drugs that would not absorb correctly if I took the weight loss meds. So I am hoping for success with Topamax.
Hi! I noticed your post was from February and I would love to know if you have lost any weight in the past 6 months. I was on Topamax for 10 years when I tapered off due to myself being afraid of just taking the drug for so long. I am about to start back taking Topamax and although the weight loss alternative is not my reason for taking the medication, it certainly is a plus.  I would love to know  your experience the second time around.

Thank you!!!
I have read a lot of post that have talked about hair loss as a side effect of taking Topamax, but it is not list as a side effect on the list from the pharmacy. I wonder why?
I have been on Topamax two different times and NEVER experienced ANY weight loss from it.  I don't know if I'm just one of the unlucky ones that doesn't get to experience that side effect (I seem to get mostly all of the bad side effects from my medicines though)  My Dr just prescribed it again.  I'm hoping the 3rd time's a charm and I see some weight loss this time, I've gained 30 lbs in the past 6 months or so and can't get even a pound of it off so far by counting calories and eating healthier.  

My slim daughter was prescribed Topamax for migraines and said she lost 10lbs over the course of several months.  She had to stop taking it though because she could think straight on it.  The "Dopamax" effect.  Her migraines came back so a few months later she tried it again and said the 2nd time around she had NO weight loss from it.  Eventually she discontinued it again due to the "stupids"…….
I just started Topamax 100 MG for weight loss from taking and gaining weight from lithium. I haven't experienced any side effects that you all are mentioning. I have lost about a three pounds but was wondering how fast does the weight really come off. I am getting mixed feedback based on everyones posts.
I was given 50mg for weight loss. I have only been taking it for a few weeks and the only side effect I have noticed is carbonated beverages taste flat and have no flavor. Other than nothing, not even weight loss. This was a my "test" dose to see how I did. So my I feel the dr will most likely raise it to 100 mg.
Please keep me informed on your progress maybe we can help each other thru this process.
I am a RN and let's just start by saying you would probably never take Tylenol or any pain reliever if you read the label.  All medication has the potential for side effects.  Medication, if you choose to go that route, is there to relieve your symptoms, and sometimes cure disease.  There are many good drugs out there.  And Kudos to you for doing your homework.  If you suffer from migraine, I hear Topamax is a great product for relief.  It does not come without side-effects, but keep in mind, most medications have them.  Know your body, talk to your doctor, and follow ALL of his/her directions to the letter.  Topamax is prescribed off label for Binge Eating Disorder.  This helps control the number of times per day a binge eater "binges" and also helps with weight loss.  Keep in mind, not all binge eaters are over weight or obese however.  BED is a psychiatric disorder, much like bulimia and anorexia, except there is no purging or laxative use.  If you think you may have an eating disorder, please, please, please see your provider or someone who specializes in eating disorders.  So no judgement on the use of medication for weight loss.  Sometimes people need help to get the weight off and relieve their hips and other joints.  The dosage of Topamax for weight loss is much lower (25 mg x2 per day I do believe), and should only be used for a short period of time.  Pills are not a magic bullet for weight loss.  Some of us have brain chemistry issues contributing to our weight, and may need pharmacological help, but we also need healthy nutrition, exercise, and maybe even counseling.  We have to fix our mind and understand why we over eat.  We can't control our genes per se, but we can control our environment.  My point is, don't be afraid of medication for whatever it is you are afflicted by.  We don't have to suffer.  Whether it's depression, migraines, obesity, restless legs, etc.  But do your homework.  Know your body.  Pay attention.  Listen to your doctor.  Understand their may be repercussions (what percentage of patient in studies actually lost hair, did it come back when discontinuing the medication, and are you willing to lose hair if it happens to you to achieve your goal...no more migraines, lose weight, etc.?).  Topamax has been on the market a long time.  It's a safe product.  You have to do your home work and follow directions.  
I've been on lortab for my back as well as ambien and Xanax. My new Dr. wants my to try Topamax as he feels have depression. I'm extremely unhappy having moved to the deep south. I gained 45 pounds while living here and barely leaving the house. So he's changed me to the Ambien CR and added Topamax and is wanting me of the lortab. I am off them but boy what an awful feeling, diarrhea, weakness, etc. When I looked up on the comp. it said Topamax for seizures and migraines. Well, I've never had either of those. He also said I wasn't to worry about coming off the lortab as Panicking me thought I would have the seizures then.
He is adamant that I use the Topamax as a mood stabilizer just 25 2x a day. And says that I should start losing the weight I gained while being constipated on the lortabs for so long.
So I guess I'm asking your expert advice on the Topamax. Should I not be terrified to start them at this low dose. And just let the lortabs go as Dr's don't really like to see me on them. I don't mind I just want to start feeling better. I do have these herniated discs that he said when I lose the weight  my back will feel better. I think I use the lortab as a crutch to dull my entire experience of living down here. Probably the wrong idea. The Dr. seems positive that the Topamax would help with the depression. He doesn't want me on Wellbutrin or any of the stimulants as by nature I am extremely hyper and I would go nuts on any of these. It's really so weird any time I get out of this area I lose weight, feel happy. And bla bla. People say "Oh you'll bring your troubles with you" Well I've lived all over the country and Canada and only here do I suffer with the culture shock. Am trying to move again, but my Mother livers her and is 84, so it is posing a challenge.
Oh God, I'm really sorry about all of this rambling. Again. I just wanted to hear what you say about the Topamax being helpful for elevating my mood. As he just seems so sure it will help. He's a surgeon not a primary, so I've been trying to be confident with this. Okay, I'll stop here. If you can make any sense of my post your opinion would be most appreciated, Thank you for your help.
Viewing 601-629 comments: