What dosage of Topamax causes weightloss?
I just started Topamax.  I'm on 25mg/day and will increase by 25mg/week until I reach 100mg.  I heard the weightloss effect depends on the dose.  So, what dose did everyone here have their success?  And what type of diet/eating plan and exercise plan did you do to help it along?  I'm desperate to lose 40 lbs (half of which I gained on Zoloft-no longer taking).  PLEASE respond if you had any weightloss on this drug, I'm very curious.  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!  :)
I was prescribed topamax a month ago for migraine prevention and also to loose some weight from gabapentin and seroquel which I'm currently on. I'm on 100 mg. I haven't lost any weight even though I started eating healthier and exercising more. I stopped drinking pop too. I talked to my doctor and he doesn't know why. My appetite has decreased. it's very frustrating because I'm trying to loose weight the healthy way.
My guess is seroquel. My hubby gained 80 lbs from that and lithium. He cut those 2 out and stayed on topamax and lost over 90 lbs in 6-7 mos.
How many milligrams was he on
Hi, I tio have suffered migraines for years and have been taking amitriptyline for years with moderate effectiveness. I recently spoke with a neurologist who suggested Topamax. I have a great primary care Doc who said sure! Let's try it. I tapered off the amitriptyline while titrating up on Topamax. I had had a headache for over 30 days straight, also dealing with menopause, and since being on the Topamax (50 mg twice a day) it is GONE!! I only started the 100mg a few days ago and it seems to be working great! The only side effects I've noticed so far are, feeling sleepy with morning dose and mild constipation which I've been able to deal with with gentle laxative every couple days. In a bright note, I'm down 8 lbs since starting 3 weeks ago and don't obsess about food anymore! I admit it, I love my food and my weight has been a lifelong struggle. I find I don't think about eating much and when I do eat, I'm eating about half what I used to cause I'm just not that interested! Hope that continues! Hope this was helpful!
mrsmacnut, i take topamax for neuropathy of my feet. it keeps me very mobile, and less interested in food. it helps with the burning and pind and needles in my feet
There is a reason Topamax is called Dopamax by doctors.  It took me 3 years to find out why I had suddenly lost my short term memory and couldn't concentrate.  It was like I was in a fog all the time.  The biggest thing is not being able to remember words.  People got used to me trying to describe things with my hands and with other words, like "toaster oven".  You know this big, and it cooks things.  I hated it.  However, the good news.  I was taking 200mg twice a day.  When I think back,  I'm betting the mental problems started after my dosage was raised the last time.  And no, I don't take Topamax anymore.
Thank you for this. I just started this medication, for horrible migraines, and I really want to give it a try. I appreciate your thoughtful comment.
I've been taking Topomax for a few years off and on. In the beginning, it was
50 mgs. and experienced absolutely no weight loss. In fact, I gained about 10
pounds, but I think that was from the seroquel that I'd been taking.
Now I'm taking 100 mgs. and still haven't seen a pound of loss. However,  all the rest of the comments that  have  lost weight,  say they take their meds at night. I take mine during the day, and always have.
Maybe there's something to that.
I'm going to try it, and see if I notice a difference!
Well I was prescribed topmax back in 2011 for a number of thing...migraines being one thing but I had an eating disorder but now Im being prescribed topamax because I have anxiety and personality issues. I am somewhat overweight but I never thought of using it for that until i read all this. But its driving me nutz that I have slept in 4 days. I think I have gotten like 45 mins each night since Thursday night. My meds we doubled and topamax was added with my deprakote. Any suggestions on what I need to do to sleep on this stuff?
I take topamax and five other meds for epilepsy, I have a VNS, so I have trouble sleeping as well, so my neurologist gives me klonopin at night, 2 mg, because it helps me sleep, it keeps seizures away, and it also help the nerve pain if I do have a seizure. Perhaps there is something your doctor could give you to help you sleep? I know klonopin is given in low doses to anxiety patients.
i am just about to start taking this drug for migraine prevention and the dose will increase weekly on a preset schedule.  i am also overweight with back pain and grumpy depressed knackered symptoms following hysterectomy and being put into instant menopause.  so i'm already losing my hair and feeling as dense as a london fog most of the time anyway.  i honestly doubt if this is going to make my word finding worse than it already is.  i also doubt it will make me lose weight -  a doubt i shared with the neurologist but she was adamant that "everyone thinks that and then you cant get the drug off them again when they lose too much".  so off i go, i am going to start it on sunday because i have a long drive on saturday and i'm just trying to be sensible about not starting a new med before that.  if this drug lifts my mood, removes my continuous 7 days a week migraines with massive blinding auras and also makes me lose weight, i may well burst with happiness.  i will buy a gorgeous wig if i have to.  watch this space.  
How long do I need to be on topamax to experience weight loss? I've been on 200mg for two days..
I am wondering the same thing..I have been on 25 mg 2x a day for 6 days and haven't lost any weight
I agree with all you said and want to reinforce the importance of knowing yourself and all of the med/pscyh issues you have as well as talking with your doc and don't be afraid to ask questions.  If your doc is one who is in a hurry, be assertive and ask!  Either you or your insurance co are paying him/her for their treatment/time with you so get what they are being paid for and ask!

I am a behavioral health provider as well as a consumer (you might be surprised to learn how many of us are!)  which really helps me to listen and understand and care about my patients struggles with symptoms, medication and side effects.  I have known about topamax for some time and over the 20 years in MH, I have seen it work great for people with no side effects, work great with weight loss side effect, not work at all  and no side effects... well, you get the idea.  Because everyone is different, it is impossible to know how each of us will be effected.  I say us because I have just talked with my prescribing doc about switching from Wellbutrin to topamax in hopes that It may help with weight loss.  I think I'm going to give it a try but here is what I know about me that we had to take into consideration.  I have taken Armour Thyroid for about 20 years and my numbers are always right where I want them to be.  (BTW this is a natural med made from pig thyroid and does not have the side effects that synthetic meds have such as hair loss. I get lots of compliments on my hair...no boasting, just saying! :) I have had repeated and sometimes severe and lengthy episodes of depression which have been controlled on the Wellbutrin, I have been heavier in my life time but am currently at 186 and should be 130,  I have a history of binge eating, (I know how to eat healthy and do at times, will lose some but I have a weakness for sugar and salt so I always manage to find what I have lost! Crap!), I have never been an avid exerciser, my latest blood work came back perfect (My doc said she hopes I feel as good as my labs look so I am blessed) and I am an occasional smoker (currently 1-2 cigs per day if any)  

The only reason I mention all of that is to illustrate how different everyone's individual situation and experience can be and the importance of taking everything into consideration.  Also, I know the list of possible side effects can be daunting but remember. they're only possible.  I hate to see someone decide not to take a med prescribed by their doc because of fear of side effects as it may be the one that will finally help!  Just a thought...

I'll try to check back in with my experience if/when I decide to try it and Good Blessings to everyone who is posting here.  It's so hard sometimes to keep trying to find the one thing that will help...Please don't give up!!

I was on Topamax back in 2011 for my migraines and I dropped about 25 lbs in 3 months. I took it again in 2013 with some weight loss then as well. I'm 2014 I started taking Topiramate (TEVA brand) and I don't feel that I lost any weight however I did manage to maintain my weight... and I also felt like I was getting frequent dull headaches. I haven't taken it in about a month and I have gained 10 lbs and can't stop eating. I called to have my prescription refilled and TEVA has discontinued making Topiramate. I'm getting Topamax (non-generic) tomorrow and while I hope it makes these annoying dull headaches go away, I really hope i lose these extra pounds. But it sounds like people don't have much success with weight loss their second go-around? Yes? I'm also dreading the hair loss. What have people found to be effective.. And actually effective in stopping the hair loss?!
biotin, OTC nutrient, 5000mg. makes hair, nails, skin, grow, thicker and healthier
Web md lists it as a side effect    I used to take Topamax it made me loss weight and then it made me loss a lot of hair  I stopped taking it before I went bald . I gained all my weight back and then some.     =(    Sincerely ,mechial cox
if you take a b12 vitamine very morning detangling will stop after a while it helps I have been on topamax for for years now my mother was the one he led me to the miracle of b12
I was on Depakote for 8yrs and tried all kinds of diets to now avail. When I ended up having my psych medicines changed I lost about 28lbs in 3mos! I was put on Topamax for Migraines and a seizure I had. The new Dr. told me that Depakote had caused me to to hold the extra added weight.  I think the Topamax helped me get the extra weight off faster and keep it off. I now take Lamictal instead of the Depakote & have no side effects. Good luck!
bcs59
My doctor give me Topomax 25mg 1 time at night last week but I don't start yet I would be taking a combination of (Topomax) plus (Contreva) a new combination to loose weight but I am concern on the side effect anyone is on this combination? the Doctor explain to me that one of her patient  is taking Contreva 1 in the AM and 1 in the PM plus Topomax 1/2 pill 30min before breakfast 1/2 pill 30 min before Lunch and 1 pill at night and her patient loose 40 lbs in the past 3 months.
just about too start Topiramate will keep you updated
My psychiatrist prescribed topamax to me about 5 months ago.  He asked if I thought I over ate.  I told him on occasion I did.  But normally I felt I did not neat enough.  I lost 20 lbs in the first 2 months.  Then nothing.  I was trying too hard and had stopped eating.  Only ate 1 meal a day.  When I went to see him I confessed that I was probably not eating enough.  So I decided to get back on and do it right.  I then ate a small breakfast. a small lunch. a reasonable dinner and a snack of fruit or vegitable at night.  I have now lost 10 more pounds.  So even though the pill may make you feel like not eating you must eat a little something to keep your body going.  But keep it healthy, fruit, salad, vegitables.  I hope to lose 20 more before mid summer!!!  Bev  He told me if I didn't think that I over ate, then just keep eating normally  And it worked.  I had always told people I didn't overeat, but they didn't believe me.  I ate normal, but I was still fat.  In about 3 to 4 more moths of eating normally I will be blessed...with normal weight!!!!
I have  been  on topomax for awhile  now. Once I started the drug  I was  wearing a size 12  pants  and have  lost so much weight that it I scary and  then I went  down to a size 8. I am  in the process  of seeing a new doctor to have them take me off this medication. I can't focus, lose intrest  in things and no energy.... Cant  wait to feel better.
Have just started on 25 mg 2 / day a couple of weeks ago and gradually increasing in the hopes of controlling seizures. That sounds dramatic but they are not major, just focal seizures that manifest in auras, nausea and  nasty pins and needles down my left side that hurt but I don't lose motor or cognitive function. They wear me out tho'.  

Will start weaning off another anticonvulsant tonite and bump up to 50 mg in evenings with gradual increases in Topomax.  Immediately noticed bleh flat pop taste but ditching diet pop won't be a bad thing.  Have noticed a little pressure behind my left eye too.  A little annoying but has all but disappeared.  

Have slowly packed on the lbs over last several years.   Hoping to  shed some unwanted lbs.  Have noticed a decrease in appetite but know smaller more frequent meals work best for me for weight loss, not forgetting and skipping meals which has been happening.  I am about 80 lbs above a healthy weight.  

Great thing so far is that my seizures are under control!   BUT I haven't started weaning off the other  drug yet. That starts tonite.  Fingers crossed.  Insofar as brain fog and fatigue.  I've been on anticonvulsants since 2005, brain fog and fatigue has become  my normal, sadly. I really hope TOPOMAX will help me take off some weight.  After all the crap I've been through, I deserve a break. Not counting on it, but that would be SWEET!
This is happening to me too! I do not have much of an appetite, eat healthy, exercise - but haven't lost 1 lb in the last month since beginning Phentermine and Topamax!
I've been on Topamax (and actually been taking it strictly as prescribed) for about 3 months now(I would forget to take it daily because I wasn't used to being on any kind of medicine). I started off on 25mg once a day, then 25mg in the morning with a meal then two 25mg with dinner. I take it for migraines but the plus side is it also stabilizes my moods(good thing for my fiance'). I have just now noticed a change in my appetite. I've not been very hungry, and have actually lost about 10lbs in the past 2 months. Down side has been that my brain does not connect with my mouth very well, however I am already as blonde as it gets, so now I just have a legitimate excuse. I am exhausted all the time-I have a 9-5 desk job & don't do much else besides house work. I have been much more forgetful, which has been a scary thing, but the fact that my migraines have reduced to about 2-3 times a month as compared to 4+ times a week is worth it. I am still taking 75mg daily total, sometimes with 50mg Tramadol on the rough days. Good vibes and best wishes!
WELL SAID I JUST STARTED TOPAMAX AND THAT IS THE SAME ADVICE MY NURSE DAUGHTER IS GIVING ME. RIGHT NOW I JUST FEEL TIRED BUT THAT COULD BE BECAUSE I HAVE A SINUS INFECTION ALSO!   I AM GOING TO GIVE IT A FEW WEEKS . I AM TAKING IT FOR WEIGHT LOSS TOO. I HAVE STEROID INDUCED TYPE 2 DIABETES.  NOT FUN.  61 YEARS OLD  ASTHMA AND NOW GETTING HYPERTENSION. HAVE GOT TO DO SOMETHING!  YES AND I DO FIND SODAS VERY FLAT AND THATS A GOOD THING  DONT NEED THEM BEEN TRYING TO QUIT:)  I DO HAVE  LOSS OF APPETITE  WE SHALL SEE!   LINDA LU
Its been over a year, so how about now? I've been taking 100mg for 2 years... I've definitely got idiot brain...
Let me tell you all my story.
I have lupus. I was diagnosed in 2004.  I also had seizures. I was prescribed 7 25mg pills twice a day. That's 350mg of this drug I knew nothing about.  My side effects were as follows--memory loss, DOPAMAX brain,--unable to concentrate, pins and needles in feet and hands, and finally weight loss.  I was 180 lbs when I started taking Topamax, and within six months I was down to 127 lbs. I had never been skinny before and oh my gosh was I LOVING being skinny!!!!!!!!!!  My weight crept back up to about 135, then 145. I believe my body got used to it.  But I was still happy being at 145.  THEN, I decided to have a baby.  I knew I needed to be off of any harmful medications for at least three months before getting pregnant.  November of 2012 I took myself off.  And by March 2013 I was pregnant AND I weighed in at 180. Right back to where I was, I had gained about 35 lbs!!!! and I didn't change a thing. AND I couldn't stop gaining.  Of course I was pregnant, but shouldn't have been gaining THAT much at such a rapid speed.  My final weight at delivery was 250. The highest I had EVER been in my life.  I have my memory back, and I can concentrate, and I haven't had a seizure either!!!!! However it's been so hard to lose weight. I'm now STILL a year and half later yo-yo-ing between 240 and 220.  I would LOVE to be thin again, and I'm trying... but Topamax did something to my metabolism or something. Just messed me up. I would NOT advise anyone to take this drug, UNLESS you're willing to be on it for the rest of your life and who knows what the side effects of THAT would be.  I will be seeing a neurologist soon to see if my brain has any seizure activity, but I honest have not had one since 2005.  I'm grateful for that, but do wish I could lose this weight.  
Just starting Topiramate 25 mg. two times daily,  now.  How are you doing.  I will let you know my  progress,
What in the world is the 5 bite diet?  I would like to know any info that you have I guess that I  could look it up online.  Any info would be greatly appreciated>
Hi Everyone! I just want to thank everyone for taking the time to post their experiences because they help me so much! I was diagnosed with a neurological disorder called cervical dystonia around 8 mo. ago. A slew of drugs have come and gone as there is no cure or specific medication (not that that usually matters bc most medicine is scary anyways!) for dystonia. I started Topamax about 2 mo. ago and have tried to keep my dose at 50mg at bedtime due to side effects. And thanks to you guys I now know I'm not crazy for thinking it was making my HAIR FALL OUT! I tried bringing it up to my primary last visit, but of course if it isn't in the pamphlet side effect warning list they don't always pay attention! I thought I was going bonkers, so thank all of you!! As far as weight loss, I had lost about 8 pounds in 3 mo. before starting the Topamax, but have since lost 10+ in the last 2 mo. and easily lose it if I don't eat much for the day.  I need to increase my dose to 75mg bc dystonia causes constant neck spasms which make for frequent headaches/migraines and the 50mg had been staving them off until recently; but I'm worried if I increase my dose I will lose too much weight. I also get the dopamax brain (which I've dealt with bc my disorder keeps me at home) and tingly hands and feet. Idk, it's all a lot to consider long term.  I apologize for the novel, I don't have anyone in my world to talk to about these kinds of things and am elated when I find such great wealth's of information!  (I just spaced out for a good few seconds after typing THANKS TOPAMAX!!) :)  Anyways thanks again to everyone for being such great resources! Have a pain free day!
Are you taking generic or name brand, because now that you have said this I believe this is why my hair has been falling out. I actually don't want to stop it though because I use it for epilepsy and it is actually working even with all of the side effects!!!
Well, thank you for the wealth of information from your experiences. My dr suggested I try it for my migraines, I'm 51 & never had them under control since I was about 13. I could use to lose about 30 lbs. so I like that aspect, but I'm too vane to avoid pain while losing my hair! I also can't afford to lose the small brain I have these days, blaming my forgetfulness on menopause already! So, I'll try it, keep my fingers crossed but if it messes with my head (hair or brain!) I'll go back to chubby and in pain of course with my dr's assistance! Thanks!
Regenon pills are good for weight loss, it controls hunger and help you in effective weight loss.
Just started first dose tonight 25 mg
I take 100 mg a day and noticed weight loss. I had also just stopped taking Seroquel, a mood stabilizer, which made me gain about 40 lbs. I was on Seroquel to help with my depression and insomnia. Well the Seroquel changes your body chemistry and makes you have cravings horribly! Once I got off of it I started taking topamax and started to lose weight. No more cravings. I also want to mention that I was on an SSRI, an antidepressant, whic can also cause weight gain, and my Dr. switched me to 300 mg of  Bupropion XL, which is an NDRI, and does not cause weight gain. Well, both of them together, not having cravings (maybe every once in a while, lol) and  I did change my diet. For example I cut out A LOT of refined sugar, watch my calories, bad carbs, and fats and just eat healthy did the trick.  I went from 170 to 124 very quickly. I do think I have noticed HAIR LOSS :((  though. And I experience some memory and thought process problems, unless that is just due to my medical problems.  The hair loss might not be related.But I am very happy about the weight loss. I am 50 and I was already depressed and the weight gain made it much worse. Good Luck to everyone
I just read your post, and you mentioned hair loss. I swear I notice it to, but I also color my hair and it could be that and I have wimpy hair and am getting older (50), blah, blah, blah. I hope it is just the hair color and I can try to use a gentle color from now on and baby my hair. Try to use conditioning treatments, don' use a lot of heat on my hair etc. I see a lot off breakage around the hairline, but it also feels thinner to me. I also experience the dopamax effect, and it makes me so frustrated. I will be talking to someone and I for get a word. It is so embarrassing. I already have bbad anxiety, so sometimes it's like I'e worried it's going to happen and it makes it worse. I am on disability right now, so not working makes it much easier. I cannot imagine functioning at work agian and having the dopamax effect. But when I was working, I was hardly ever there because of the dibilitating migraines. Sorry about the novel as well, lol!
just taking topomax isnot going to make you loose weight. your appetite should change and you should eat less ..but if you are a habitual, nervous or depressive eater you are not going to loose weight no matter how much topomax you take .. just sayin not playin :)
This statement is not true. I have been taking topamax for seizures,200mg a day, for about 8 months and without changing anything I do and with a low thyroid disorder and low blood sugar disorder I have lost 64 pounds. It has been only by taking the topamax and by breathing. The only exercising I do is a daily walk and yoga stretching because of the hypoglycemia I cannot do strenuous cardio. I have not changed my diet at all. However, I do also take zonegran for my seizures and the massive weight loss could caused by the combination of these two together. Yet, I have heard plenty of other people on topamax for seizures who have lost significant amounts of weight. Check your facts buddy.
just eat healthy, watch the sugar, eat fruits and veggies. if youre healthy you should do some resistance exercises. maintaining muscle helps to maintain weigth, stability,strength,bone, etc etc, no matter what drug you take.
Hi, sorry you are feeling so bad. What I have read is: eating high fat foods (fried or not ) like Adkins Diet stuff.. butter, bacon non lean meats. carbonated beverages: regular and diet sodas, sparkling waters and wines  as well as beer and coffee. Sweets seem to be a big culprit in digestive problems.
Maybe take a week off of all these items. Then introduce them one at a time for about 2 days. If the symptoms return, go back to the original list with that one scratched off...then two days later or when you're feeling better...Then try introducing the next thing on the list for two days...and so on. If you get an instant reaction..scratch off!! I am just starting topamax for migraines. My only side effects are increased body tempature, dry and a yucky taste in my mouth. I'm avoiding all of the above food items... I have IBS and this might cause symptoms x10! I will repost if anything positive or  comes from this medicine. Be well soon!! Let us know how you are doing!
good advise
I lost 10 lbs on it but also a beautiful head of hair! Migraines down some. weight only gained due to a med prescribed! Hate this! Ten lbs to go. Can't take migraines anymore. Still 17 a month.
My doctor took me off of 50 mg a day not telling me or telling me why but now I'm taking 50 mg a day. I lost from 192 in March to in October to 147. Which I needed to because of my back pain and so many pains that are chronic. When he took me off the other 50 a day it didnt take a month and Ive already gained 13 back and wasnt even trying to and I tried so hard not to eat junk but it made me crave so much stuff I didnt before and I dont even have it in me to do much exercising like I did ask not only did I gain 13 pounds since mid October but Ive lost ALOT of my tone because I just didnt have the ump in me I guess you would call it and just never have an ounce of energy for nothing. And my being short. Any one pound alone makes a HUGE difference! I got down to a size 9-11 on juniors sizes. Im 47 years old BTW.. And now my gut is back and you can see it going over my jeans so now Im gonna have to start wearing sweaters and big ol hoodies to hide all that again which I hate because I was JUST starting to like me after 24 years of being over 200 pounds!!! Im hoping my visit to the doctor tomorrow he puts me back on it twice a day or Im gonna be a very unhappy woman again for years to come. I was happy cause my man was SO HAPPY to see my accomplishments and he loved my toned body and I knew he did by the better looks I got and well... Anyway about the hair loss.. Ive noticed to that when I wash my hair I lose hair every time I wash it and its thinner but you cant really tell it if you didnt know it was coming out. But it does freak me out sometimes because I think wow it coming out like that everyday you would think I wouldnt have any hair but I do. Plus I still have my own natural color of dark brown. And yea I have every now and then I find a grey but I pluck it out and go on. I figured Im 47 fixing to be 48 soon, as soon as I start seeing some real grey I will be hitting the beauty salon and they can get Crayola to take care of me lol I feel pretty good tho cause theres SOOOOOOOO many in my class from school and theres not one yet that weve found that doesnt dye their hair so.. Yeah!! Yall wish me luck they put me back on it because this girl NEVER wants to go back to 247 pounds again which is where I was a year ago and for the past 24 years I've been up and around that number and for a 5 foot girl. Nooooo No and NO. I am NOT gonna feel and get that unhappy again if I have to change doctors again, I will. Thnx yall for your input as well I needed to read all of these.
I was just prescribed topiramate 5 days ago..extremely low dose to titrate up by a half tab each week. I am taking it for an essential tremor, I addition to another drug. Of course I have not seen any effects yets buts was overjoyed when I found out this drug assists with weight loss. I must say tho, I put my husband and myself on the "Fast Metabolism Diet". Saw a show on the public channel and went out and bought the book and thoroughly read it and made notes and bookmarked pages and purchased all the groceries. My husband who is diabetic and has a lot of edema lost 16 pound...water weight...in 5 days; I've lost 7 pounds. It is an excellent diet except for phase two..three phases to diet each lasting 2 to 3 days. Lots of work organizing but I cud never stick to a diet and this hhas been a breeze..now hearing that topiramate will be a benefit brings me great joy!!!
thank you, for being so candid
i enjoyed you speaking up and telling your story from your heart
yep ive had the same was put on them for migraines stared off on 25mg per day for two weeks now up to 50mg per day
put on weight through bloating not lost it throwing up and still got my migraines been nearly four weeks lost more weight when I wasn't taking them im ready to flush them also very lo on energy and pain in my legs I hate feeling like this
I'm not sure if this is of any help, but I have been on Topamax now for almost 5 months and take 50 mg in the morning and 50 mg at night. My doctor has me taking Riboflavin with that dose in the morning and night as well, and I was wondering if anyone else does that as well? I take the Topamax for chronic migraine. I used to get up to 17-18 a month, and I now get maybe 1-2 a month, but those are generally caused I think by me not taking care of myself as well, thinking that since I have medication I can be a little more late with my habits. I am in my early 20s and a girl by the way.
Call me vain. I rather live with migraines and be a little chubby, than lose my hair, eyebrows and eyelashes...and breakout like crazy! To hell with Topomax!!
When your migraines are so bad you would rather smash your head head against the wall because nothing takes the pain away and you have have them 21 days out of the month I would rather take the topamax. I suffered for too long finally something is starting to work.
ive been on 100mg topamax a while and i do the same thing with memory ive even said you know that stuff sticky on one side holds things together, my friends thought i was nuts when one said "you mean tape?' lol now thats bad
Hi, I have the same problem, I gained 30 pounds (130-160 pounds) while simultaneously on 100 mg zoloft and 25 mg Topamax :( I'm 18 and have BPD and also an eating disorder, i did so much and could not lose any of the weight! I finally got off the zoloft and was wondering how long it took everyone to lose all of their excess weight? Thank you!!
I have being taking Topomax 25 mill a day  for 12 days so far no weight loss. due to Lyrica and Cyprelex I gain 20 pounds I went from 127 to 145 that's the reason my DR put me on Topomax .I have aggressive fibromyalgia . how long does 25 mill start working  thanks ?
When I stopped Zoloft, I dropped 40 lbs immediately.  But, I started Topomax about a year later for a tumor on my spine.  At 25 mg I was having good success with pain control, but not great.  I was increased to 50 mg.  On this dosage now for 2 years and I have lost a total of 96 lbs.  I don't exercise, but I don't eat junk food either.  At this point I am quite concerned because for some reason, the more I eat, the more weight I lose.  I am down, today, to 117 lbs.  I lost 6 lbs this past week.  I need  to find a way to maintain a healthy weight so I can continue to take the topomax and use it for pain support. Any ideas?
I have same problem ,drink shakes,lots in between meals do not skip meals,you will want to but force feed yourself.I cut myself back to 25 mg just to reach my 100 pounds so doctor will shut up .When she does its back to my 50.
I've been on 100mg of the generic for almost 4 months. In many ways, it's been a wonder drug. My migraines were almost completely gone, from daily to 4 days per month. It cured my vertigo, travel sickness and tremor. I also lost 30lbs in 3 months.

The past month the daily migraines returned. Before I started the drug I wasn't sure that my daily headaches were actually migraines as they are not as severe as the ones I get at my period and ovulation.

Topirimite basically just changed my migraines from headaches and vertigo into visual auras. Instead of getting daily headaches I started to get daily visual auras. A million times easier to cope with. The auras continued along when the headaches came back.

I went back to the doc he's raising my dose to 200mg over 8 weeks. I'm on 125mg now and already it's helping with the headaches. Not many auras, only if I wake early to use the bathroom. Hoping the high dose will help with my chronic back pain as I'm on max dose of tramadol and it's not helping much.

Side effects - gastric distress!! Everything I eat seems to run through me. Dopamax brain. Forgetting how to spell the simplest of words - like Friday! Anxiety and sleepless nights because of a feeling of impending doom. This is only when I'm raising the dose. Tingling. Facial twitch. Hair loss, but I think this is more due to the weight loss than the pills. Irritability.

Anyone know if the weight loss effect returns when the dose is increased? The weight loss stopped after the third month, right about when it stopped working for the migraines. I still need to lose 15lbs from Cymbalta and Amytriptline. If not, at least I know I won't gain on it :)
I'm on Topamax 25mg and I lost 18lbs in just a month it definitely works but you have to change your eating habits along with it portion control very important and I also eliminated soda and junk food
So it is not the medicine, but the changing on your eating habits that made you loose weight...
good. i was on topamax for neuropathy. it helped some, plus i lost some weigth because im an emotion eater. topamax aeemed to calm my nerves so that i didnt seek comfort foods near as much. im a cancer survivor and the neuropathy is residual pain, the leftovers of a cancer plantin drug. iam grateful for these meds, and good medical care. However,,, i want to be in charge! i quit the topamax, tried to convince myself "i am cured"! next thing i knew, the pain was back and the weigth back on ,,, errr,,, i cannot take anti-inflamatorys. they relieve the pain and make me sick at my stomach, and make my emotional eating worse. yuk!  so hear i go, after 7+ mts im slowly going back on topamax with added respect for what my dr prescribes.
I lost on 50 mg had to cut back to 25 cause doctor screamed at me. I need it for nerve pain now I have nothing.I DO NOT want the meds that cause weight GAIN..no  no no.
Does it help for nerve pain alone?
why?? why did your dr scream at you, Kivalina? thats not nice.
i take it for nerve pain, neuropathy in my feet, drives me crazy. iam more mobile, especially when im outdoors. walking my dog, etc, when im Not in pain. thats a win win. my drs are so good to me. i dont like your dr,,, oops, sorry
Jvying, what is your dosage?
12 months on Topamax (brand) and Teva generic. Started  at 75mgs, now at 125, along with 300mgs bupropion (Wellbutrin), for mood stabilization. So far I've lost over 80lbs, I'm now 120 at 5'2". No hair loss, no 'word loss', no vision issues, no foginess, zero taste loss. In fact, I've suffered no negative side affects. Now, that said, you need to know: I'm a redhead: we have an extra protein in our blood and metabolize medication differently. We usually need higher doses of everything in order to get the usual benefits other people enjoy. Hope this helps.......have a healthy day!
Boy, a lot of the comments here seem like they could be MY story.  First I will start with a negative story. My sister is a hypochondriac. She cannot read anything medical because right away, she has it. I don't believe she has migraines, because, like my mom says, she is the only person I know who can function perfectly with a "killer migraine" as she says. She went on Topamax 25mg, and she called me and said she couldn't see. I was like, "what do you mean you can't see?" kind of not believing her.  She said, "All I see is shadows.  I can't see anything. Like I am blind." Part of me thought she was making it up, but as a nurse, I knew exactly what it could be. I told her, "stop taking the Topamax right away and call your doctor right now."  She asked what it was, I told her not to worry.  She had increased intraocular pressure (fluid pressure in her eyes) from the Topamax. It is very rare, but of course it happened to her. Now is more paranoid than ever. I originally started with Amitriptyline for migraines. I gain quite a bit of weight with that.  I had been thin all of my life, so that was hard to deal with. When I started Topamax, I started with 25mg and increased it until I reached 300mg per day (150 x2). I noticed probably around 75mg that I was losing weight, and lost about 30 lbs total. I never changed my eating, in fact, I think I ate more. I had the tingling in my fingers, hair loss, terrible leg cramps, memory loss, can't think of the words I want to say, the "it's on the tip of my tongue" problem. I felt tired all the time, no energy. It was worth it though, I liked the weight loss. Eventually that stopped. I cut back on the Topamax due to the side effects and I gained weight again. I increased the dosage, but no weight loss. I started on Nutrisystem to lose the weight and have been eating healthy, with fruits, veggies, yogurt, etc. I was able to cut back on the Topamax to 100mg (50 x2) and my headaches are actually less than ever. I have more energy, and feel great.  I still have the leg cramps and hair loss though.  I would like to get off of this drug altogether eventually. There are ways to take off weight more permanently.  This is not the answer. It is a one shot deal. It is a nice side effect if you need the medication, but I would NOT use it solely for the purpose of weight loss.
I didn't loose any weight until I reached the 200mg dose (100 am 100 pm) in fact I gained on the lower doses... once I reached the higher doses my appetite went away and so did my bulimia! It's a miracle drug so worth the side effects I feel like a noral human again. Have lost 3kg in a week.