Weight Loss Alternatives Community
What dosage of Topamax causes weightloss?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

Viewing 401-595 comments:
It's not that you just start to magically lose weight with Topamax. You gradually lose your appetite, & then you gradually lose weight.
At least my experience. This experience was expedited when titrated up to 50mg twice per day rather than 25mg twice per day.
Topomax or the generic will have a different reaction to everyone. It's best to talk to your doctor to see if it is right for you. I am currently on my second trial of topomax (topamax) for migraine management with better results this time. I have gone from 10-12 migraines a month to maybe 1 or 2! I have experienced weight loss both times - Name brand first time and now I am on the generic. In my experience when I was feeling 'foggy' or could not complete a thought, my dose was too high. After lowering it, I'd feel better and then if need be, I work my way back up (second time around haven't had that problem yet 3 months in)
I have not experienced any hair loss or sleeplessness while taking topomax (topamax).
Are you taking 100mg at bedtime? That is what I am on now. Its been close to 2 months I think. It took me a while to get to 100 mgs. because of side effects but I am good now. No weight loss at all and it is helping with migraines but not enough yet.
I'm 19 years old, 5'1, approx 150 lbs, and I began taking Topamax to control migraines six weeks ago after failed attempts with multiple other medications.  I've been on 200 mg for two weeks now and have definitely noticed some side effects many of the others on this forum have mentioned.  My favorite drinks... Well, not my favorite anymore.  Even Kool-Aid tastes bad.  But that's because Topamax is a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor.  Unfortunately, I don't know how used to that I will ever get.  Also, I am noticing my normal functioning is beginning to, well, slowww... I'm forgetting parts of my daily routine that have been the norm for years, people are having to repeat things to me three and four times before they register in my head, etc.  However, in the past I would have migraines all day every day, and now it is only light pressure in my head maybe two or three days out of the week.  To the contrary of what many others have said, I have not lost any weight being on Topamax, but I must also add in that in my 19 years of living I have never lost weight from any medication that supposedly causes weight loss (including Ritalin LA!) so don't allow my word to be your deal breaker.  I was secretly hoping Topamax would be my knight in shining armour!  Ha!  I hope I was able to shed some light for someone.   :)
Just wanted to give my experiences with Topamax. I started taking it last December due to severe sciatica from a herniated disc. I had tried everything else and this was a last ditch before surgery. Miraculously, the Topamax took away ALL sciatic pain within two weeks. When I started taking it, I weighed 165lbs. and I lost 25 lbs. in about 3 months. It took away all cravings for emotional eating, and made it so that food didn't really have an emotional pull for me. I still got hungry so it didn't really curb appetite, but I was able to choose food based on what was healthy and low-fat, rather than "yum! That sounds really good!" It also made alcohol less appealing, and I could stop after one glass of wine, rather than wanting a second and a third. I noticed these effects starting at about 50-75 mg (taken twice daily). At my peak, I was taking 150 mg, twice daily.
I have 2 herniated disks L4-5 with causes a lot of pain also and have  noticed some pain relief, not complete relief but I will take any.

I am seeing my doctor tuesday about upping this med because of the constant breakthrough migraines. I have noticed the cravings are less but I have never drank soda, just water. Maybe if I just go out and get healthy snacks to chose  from the great side effect will help me too.

Thank you
Lori
I couldn't up mine that fast, when  tyo 25mg twice a day that is when I had lots of side effects. I went back to 25mg for 2 weeks then went back up again. I was ok after that. I think everyone is different. If you dont go at your own pace you will quit. I really didn't want to quit, I couldn't take the migraines anymore.

Hope you are doing better by now
Lori
last year around the beginning of march i started taking 100 mg topamax everyday before sleep. i started losing weight within a month. the purpose of me taking this medication was because of my migraines, dizziness, and vertigo. all of these feelings were taking control over my life. i decided to go to my neurologist and he prescribed to me "topiramate", so i thought alright sounds good. he said some of the few side effects-tingly in the hands and on feet- he did mention to drink lots of water and to exercise if i could. i was ready to feel good. the side effects of the medicine were very controlling BUT the migraines and the vertigo were completely gone! so i was very happy. fourth month into this medication i started to lose more weight, i made some research on the medicine and found out more about it. at that time i was also depressed and felt suicidal. topamax triggered that part of me even more with the restless nights. i stopped the medicine. i gained all the weight back and recovered. my headaches also came back the vertigo is slightly back at times. about a year and a half later which is now im back on 100mg topamax. started taking it again june 2012 i have not lost any weight i still have headaches and some vertigo but i get no side effects from the medicine which is weird. also i push myself to eat regardless if the medicine makes me lose my appetite at times. my doctor says its bad but i dont want to lose weight. i still drink water. anyway this is my experience with topamax 100mg. i'm 20 years old and a female and i have a migraine as i type this. i should go to bed. migraines suck!!!!!!!! and vertigo does too.!!!
I just started taking Topamax 25 mg once daily at bedtime for mood stabilization.  I have been on it for a week and am hungry all the time! I am wanting to eat everything!  I thought a side effect was weight loss?  I do not need to gain weight. Anyone else have this issue?
I started on 25mg Topiramate twice daily 10 days ago and increased to 50 mgs twice daily 3 days ago and I, too, want to eat everything in sight. I am hungry all the time. I was really hoping for the weight loss. I am taking it for migraines. I have felt a little relief from the migraines but have also had a lot of muscle/joint pain and tiredness. Will the extreme hunger go away?
I started topiramate about 3 1/2 years ago & was on it for 2 years. I started at 25 mg per day & increased by 25 mg/week until I got to 100 mg/day. I always took it once at night. My initial side effects were related to my vision & some difficulty finding words or remembering names, but those went away after about 3 weeks. I was still having migraines & pain associated with 3 bulging discs in my neck so Imy doctor had me go up to 200 mg/ day. It was after about 4 months at this left that my weight loss peaked. In addition to carbonated beverages tasting horrible (after like day 1) my appetite was almost nonexistent. This was very different from what I had always been. I always thought about food. Now I ate once a day, usually because that's when my husband was home. I lost a total of 50 lbs over a two year period My hair was falling out in clumps, my heart was beating irregularly, my blood pressure was extremely low, I was anemic, & I still had pain in my neck. I also couldn't feel my 3rd-5th digits on my left hand. It's hard to say if that was the meds or the disc pressure. Maybe a combination.  I started seeing a chiropractor who also had me do traction & immediately my neck started feeling better. So I started tapering off topiramate for fear that my heart couldn't take it. My face was looking gaunt even though I the rest of my body looked pretty healthy. So I took 1 month to taper off. Well, the weight immediately came back. I gained 5 lbs the first week. Ten lbs the second week. Then 5 lbs. Then 10. Even restricting my caloric intake to 1000-1200 mg/ day is useless. I feel horrible. I'm still losing hair. My endometriosis seems worse (apparently topiramate helped that too). And...my migraines are back.  I don't have the vertebral pain thank goodness. I am now contemplating going back on at a lower dose, but I don't know if I should due to the heart thing.
I cut my dose in half too & it still took a year for my hair to thicken back up. I also started taking Biotin 5000 mcg daily & still do, I think it helped.
how are you doing now?
I'm also an accountant and I have just started on topiramate for seizures.  The memory loss is driving me crazy.  I'm ramping up to take 100 mg in am and 200 mg in pm.  I am losing weight and I admit I do like this side effect.  I have to make myself eat to keep up my strength.
I just began taking Topomax (topamax) (the generic form) at night only.  I began with 25 mg for a week and am now taking 50 mg per week.  I'll be increasing that by 25 mg each week until I get to 100 mg. We'll see if that will be the level that I need.  I find that it does help me sleep, however I still feel groggy mid-day.  I hope this wears off as my body adjusts to the medication.  I am also an accountant--currently out of work due to these darn migraines.  I'd like to get control of these things and actually have a career.
how long did it take for the migranes (migraines) to start going away? And when did you start to lose the weight? Also, did anyone experience itchiness?
If you are taking this to lose weight, you need to stop chugging back the soda and sweets and start burning calories. THAT IS THE ONLY EFFECTIVE WAY TO LOSE WEIGHT AND KEEP IT OFF! Taking drugs to lose weight is just laziness at its finest!
Just a few thoughts on your post...

I find it interesting that you've been a member here for three days (at the most - your join date is Oct 2012) and your only post is here, is to this group, where you've come in and been exceedingly rude to people about losing weight.

This is really interesting since your profile shows that one of your interests is thyroid disorders. As you should well know, thyroid disorders can cause weight issues. Perhaps your thoughts should be shared with them as well as I'm sure that they would benefit from your words of wisdom. Please, go tell them that they are lazy for not managing their weight as you see fit.

If you are going to come in here and call people names, that's your choice. However, do not be surprised when I call you out for your hubris and lack of respect.

Funny thing is that I come in here and talk about why I do not believe Topamax should be used for weight loss. I provide medical facts that most doctors are unwilling to provide. But then again, I try to be understanding of others thoughts and feelings. Too bad you are lacking that. Some might even call it a lack of character. But hey, you choose how you want people to perceive you. This is obviously how you want to be perceived. So we'll remember you (not so fondly) exactly as you presented yourself.

Thanks for playing!  :)
Thank you for the information on topamax, I just now started taking it on September 26, 2012. I am taking it for migranes (migraines) but I have had a weight problem my whole life and I hope it helps me with that also. It gives me hope. Jennie1981
I read your post and hopefully when you said you stopped taking the medication you did it under the supervision of a knowledgable doctor. This is a very dangerous drug when weaning off of it. It needs to be done EXTEMELELY slow. Or the side effect can be seizures.
I have been taking Topomax (topamax) since May for injuries to my neck. My neurosurgeon put me on slowly increasing the dose to 150 mg in the am & pm. The first major side effect I noticed was the problem when drinking soda. It is not the flavor, it is the carbonation. It is listed under side effects. When I was first on the medication I was also on Lyrica. The two meds balanced each other out and I started to lose weight. Since then I have been weaned off the Lyrica and I am now down to Topomax (topamax) 25 mg am & pm. I have absolutely NO appetite since being off of the Lyrica. I force feed myself. I have lost 45# since May. My exercise when I can do it is walking, but because I do not feel good in general I rarely walk.
My advice is be careful. Be very careful. I was desperate to lose weight and this allowed me my start, but the numerous side effects most which I did not mention that happened with me are not worth it.
Quality of life still counts. I love to cook, I love the smell of the food I cook and after 2 bites I have to force th food down my throat.
I want to enjoy life with my husband and my 2 daughters (I am their only mom and they lost their brother this spring) so as I slowly wean off of this scarey drug I will force myself to enjoy life and hope the side effects will be gone after the first of the year - when my doctor tells me I will finally be weaned off.
I hope this helps some of you who are on the fence about taking this drug.
I just got prescribed Topiramate for my really bad headaches that have been happening every day. Today is when I picked them up and I'm really scared now reading everything I mean I didn't go get them for weight loss but it sure would help if that happened! Also I really don't think it's right to judge people when you don't even know them! I mean doesn't it sound bad to join a group to kind of give support and then put people down??? Just saying.
Hi, please don't take this the wrong way, but you question why people would want to take this medication for weight loss and I was hoping to perhaps shed some light on that for you. I might be wrong, but this is just my perspective, ok? I have been overweight for my entire life. The first time I realized it was when I was 5 years old and some kid said that he could "spit as far as that fat girl over there". I remember the scene vividly. Just like I remember every other occurrence of being made fun of because of my weight. And truth be told, I was overweight, but I wasn't as severely obese as some people and as I am now. It was so painful to hear the snide remarks and the comments and see the stares and smirks that I actually refused to leave my apartment for a whole year. I was terrified of what I might encounter if I went anywhere. I did finally find a therapist and got on an anti-depressant and resolve some of my issues. I also actually lost over 100lbs and became a personal trainer. Go figure. The way I lost the weight though was by taking Ephedrine. Do you remember that over the counter weight loss supplement? The one that a lot of people were abusing (or cooking meth with) and not using properly so they had all sorts of side effects (that I NEVER ONCE HAD while taking it) so they pulled it from the market (you can still get it it is called Bronkaid- but it's mixed with guaifenesin and makes your nose run all day- no thanks). Anyway, I'm getting way off topic here, sorry about that. The reason that people will consider taking Topamax for weight loss is the same reason that people consider taking any drug for weight loss regardless of the side effects. People who were on Phen Phen were told about the side effects and many of them chose to stay on the drug. I know/knew about the potential side effects of ephedrine and if they brought back the original formula, I'd be the first person in line to buy a case of it. I think my point is here, that to some people who have been or are severely overweight or obese and who have struggled their entire lives with judgement and ridicule and all they want in life is to be "normal" and accepted by their peers, to be able to shop in stores where normal sized clothing is sold, to fit in airplane seats, etc. To some people they will try anything regardless of the risk. I guess you could say that we are desperate.

Now, I didn't look at Topamax for weight loss, I actually stumbled upon it while looking for alternatives to benzodiazapines or anti-depressants for my anxiety problem (which still exists and has gotten worse- as well as my obesity due to the fact that I use food to help lessen my anxiety). I'm extremely concerned however about the side effects which is why I'm doing all of the research I can find. I can't bear to have the cognitive lapses that people describe, I'm already self-conscious enough about my abilities. If I start stumbling over my words, I'm going to be mortified and spiral into more anxiety, especially since I need to be able to communicate effectively at work.

So perhaps this medication is not for me. I don't know, I haven't talked to my Dr. about it and I have never personally tried it. I just wanted to try to help you understand why some people might want to take it for weight loss. I mean think about it- the weight loss industry makes tons of money every year promising people quick fixes and magic pills and most people really do know deep down that those things are gimmicks and are not actually going to work, but they still try them with some desperate sense of hope and longing to be normal; to no longer be made fun of. I mean seriously, when my friend (who was prescribed it for chiari malformation after being shot in the head) told me that this caused her a lot of weight loss (she is already thin) I swear my eyes grew huge and I was enchanted by the sounds of it. Of course I thought the same thing about Wellbutrin and that stuff almost killed me so I know better now, but not everyone does.  

Anyway, I'm just trying to help you understand because in two posts you said that you just didn't understand why people would want to take it knowing the side effects. This is pretty much why. We are so damaged and many of us feel like we aren't worth much anyway, so why not try it. I mean part of me feels that way. Also, while I don't have any physical health issues (just a messed up head)  there are many overweight people who have a lot of health issues already so maybe they are weighing the pros and cons. It is like bariatric surgery, it can kill you and it can have negative side effects, but a lot of people (who can afford it) go through with it anyway because it can help eliminate other health problems.

I'm not trying to argue with you or convince you that it is a good idea, because I am not convinced myself that it is a good idea. All I can do is try to give you some insight on what really fat people might be thinking. If that makes us idiots, well then so be it, because that is just the way it is. Most people would rather be called an idiot on some forum than be fat in real life.
First off, the only posts that use the word "idiot" are yours and a very hateful post from "wisewoman".

The weight loss is a POSSIBLE side effect, it may or may not happen. Other possible side effects are cognitive difficulties, hair loss, ect...  I fail to see why someone would think that they'd get one side effect and none of the others. That makes no sense to me and never will.

When you were speaking about ephedrine you said, "they had all sorts of side effects (that I NEVER ONCE HAD while taking it)". Yeah, side effects - you didn't get them then with that med but you would want them now with this one?

As far as bariatric surgery goes, yes, it can have horrible side effects or even kill you. You are told these things before you have it done and you sign paperwork verifying that you are aware of these possibilities. When someone is prescribed Topamax they are generally NOT told that they might not be able to think clearly, that they might become anorexic, that their hair might fall out, that they might get glaucoma, etc. I think that people deserve to know these things before deciding whether or not to take this medication.

Despite your interpretation of my reality, I DO understand about being overweight. But that's completely beside the point. My point is, and has always been, that people should come into this with open eyes and really think hard when making decisions about using this med solely for weight loss.
I have been on generic Topamax for about 2 months. One week 25 mg at night. Second week 50 mg at night.  Third week 75 mg at night. Then to 100mg for about three weeks.  I'm crying all the time.  Extremely depressed.  Thinking I'd be better off dead(which is not me at all). I was put on this for weight loss.  Haven't lost any yet.  I feel like an idiot at work.  Can you just stop taking it?
If you've been at 100mg for about three weeks then normally I'd tell you to taper down gradually - but you're having a really bad side effect. Suicidal thoughts are nothing to play around with. My (non-medically trained but very very familiar with this med and it's possible side effects) advice would be to get in touch with your doctor and stop taking the Topamax cold turkey.

If you're really feeling down then please call an outreach center for support. If things get bad, find a way to your local emergency room to ensure your safety. It takes smarts to know that you are in trouble and needing help.

Try to remember that the way you are feeling is temporary. It is a chemical reaction caused by the med and will start to taper off shortly. The half-life of Topamax is about 21 hours so it should take about 4-5 days for it to clear your system. As trite as it sounds, please try to hang in there. If there's anything that I can do for you please do not hesitate to contact me and let me know.
Hello everyone, I am very new to this page and have been on Topimax. for about 3 months. Starting in May I started having Migraines that would not go away. As I began thinking about my past, I recongized that I have been having issues since I was a child. My sister also have Migraines. I was put on Topamax, as well as a host of other meds. It just been in the past couple of weeks that I have noticed that my appetite just really isn't there. It just sort of just started  happening gradually. I didn't know it was a side effect of the medicine. I am not going to complain for now. Over the past year, due to being in bed from a really bad case of Fibro and Chronic fatigue, I went from a size 6 to a 14-16. So it would be nice to be at least some where in between. Maybe at least something good can come from all the bad that I have been enduring.
I just started topiramate this week. My dr started me on 50 mg twice a day. I noticed that was to high a dose, so I take 25 mg 4 times a day and that works better for me. I haven't noticed any decrease in my appetite but my soft drinks have already tasted funny. My headaches went away right away and I sleep much better at night. No other side effects to speak of. When will I start to notice the decrease in my appetite?
back in 2009 i was hospitalized and did IOP (intensive out patient) treatment where i met my current psychiatrist. we discussed meds i'd been on and due to some bad experiences on some mood stabilizers such as depakote (gained 60lbs in about 3 months) and some others that put more weight on me i was terrified of any mood stabilizers and was honest with her that i would be non complaint with any heavy medications with possible weight gain as i was terrified of gaining weight. I also binge ate and was an emotional eater.
She suggested we try Topamax because it can be used as a mood stabilizer at lower dozages along with my other medications and I said that I would give it a try. The first few weeks I did feel foggy and felt "weird" is the best way I can describe it and almost went off it but I rode out the side effects that lasted about a month.
I have now been on it for for about 3 years - 150 mg at bedtime. When I take all my medication properly I can tell a difference. Soda has absolutely no appeal, i dont emotionally eat, and I don't binge eat. I wouldnt say it completely takes away my appetite but it has curbed it in my opinion. I no longer have any side effects except possibly thinning hair (but that could be due to genetics or my thyroid I am not sure)
For me this has been a wonderful mood stabilizer because while I am not bipolar they've realize I do have major depressive disorder with paranoia and mania a long with some other stuff and having a light mood stabilizer is very helpful and with it removing the binging an the emotional eating has helped with the depression I felt when I would get in those states.
As someone who's been on different medications since I was 15 (I am 30 now) I feel my current regimen has been the absolute best. I know that meds work different for everyone since all of our bodies and brain chemistry are different but I think if it seems to kind of work for you, play with the dosages with your physician and see if it gets better.
sorry this has been posted a couple times, ive reported myself as duplicates cause i dont really know how to use this site so i apologize.

i have just been prescribed topomax (topamax) by my dr and i am afraid to take it now that i know it causes weight loss  i dont want to lose weight as a matter of fact i am trying to gain weight i dont want to be skinny at 5 feet 11 i weigh 157 pounds and my ideal eewight is 175 i  think id better tell my dr my concerns
I've been reading through these posts and have seen that some of you take the pill in the morning...how can you function? I take 50mg. at night and I have a hell of a time waking up in the morning. Had a drink of a coke today, tasted flat...weird, but common I guess. I've only been on it for 5 days and just found out that my insurance ends at the end of the month (lame) Does any one know how much it costs??
girrl,
I'm not sure I understand your points. You are upset that people are not being warned of the possible side effects, but you are angry at people for wanting to take this medication to lose weight. The two are not related. If a doctor fails to inform his/her patient, that is the doctor's fault. At the same time as a patient, I do as much research on a drug as possible. I think that people who want to take Topamax for weight loss probably have done more research than others because it is a side effect and it wasn't initially marketed that way so in order to find out about that particular side effect you would probably have to wade through the info on other side effects. I highly doubt that there are that many people out there who are completely unaware of the other side effects of this medication. I wasn't. When I read weight loss, I also read all of the other side effects because they were listed right there along with the weight loss and since I'm not yet blind, it was as clear as day to me and everyone else. You aren't giving people enough credit. You are basically telling everyone who wants to take this medication with the hopes of losing weight that they are so stupid that they couldn't read the other side effects.

You said that you don't see why people would think that they would get one side effect and not one of the others. I don't know why this concept is so difficult to understand. Sometimes you get one side effect with a drug but not all of them. This can happen with any drug. Which part don't you get? Why is that so confusing for you? You might get hairloss, you might get diarrhea, you might get weight loss, you might get fatigue, you might get a combination. Some of the side effects go away after a little while. Some people might be willing to live with them. For example, it makes me a little drowsy in the afternoon. I'm willing to live with that side effect. I have also had diarrhea the first 3 days, but it went away. Again I knew it was possible and I was willing to live with it. I have not experienced any of the other side effects. If I do I will cross that bridge when I come to it as I have other options for medication.

You misunderstood what I said about ephederine. The side effects from ephederine were racing heart, jitters, etc. I didn't have them. It didn't effect me that way. It may have effected other people that way, but I'm fairly tolerant to most medications and rarely if ever do I have any side effects or complications. Had I gotten those, I would consider whether or not I could tolerate them, just as I have with any other medication that I have ever taken. So you ask do I want side effects from taking Topamax, no, not necessarily, but am I willing to accept some of them in order to help my bipolar disorder, yes some of them are acceptable to me.

If you claim to understand being overweight, why are you questioning why someone would want to take a drug that can possibly cause them to lose weight? I just don't get why you are so confused. I can understand if you flat out say that you disagree with someone's decision to do this, but claiming that you are confused doesn't make sense to me. That is why I was trying to explain it to you. But clearly you only want to argue. The point is, it is not your decision to make. You can make decisions about your body and your health and everyone else can make decisions about theirs. It is really none of your business if someone wants to take this or any other medication for weight loss or to turn them purple if that is what they desire as long as they are under the supervision of their doctor. So you can disagree all you want, but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what you think.

You do know that Topamax was approved by the FDA to be part of a weightloss drug, right? I don't necessarily agree or disagree as I have not done my own research, but just as I stated before, there are people out there who are desperate. I'm not as I'm not severely overweight any longer, but I certainly don't want to go on an anti-convulsant that will make me gain 30lbs in one month either (talk to any bipolar person and that is one of their main concerns with their meds- almost all of them cause significant and rapid weight gain).
I was on Topomax (topamax) for about a year back in 2003 (there was so generic at that time). I remember the sluggishness, hair loss, and brain fog. The weight loss (50 lbs) was a wonderful side effect. What this drug did for me was to break an endless cycle of headaches and that made it a miracle drug for me. Now, 9 years later, I will be starting Topirimate again tonight, since my chronic headaches are back. My neurologist tried me on Depakote first, but after 10 days on that drug I had gained 8 lbs. I'm terrified to think where that could end up. It also has not helped my headaches in the least. Since 2003, I have been diagnosed with both Fibromyalgia and Rheumatoid Arthritis, both of which cause extreme fatigue. I guess I'll be hit with even more fatigue. When I lost my hair after I started Methotrexate for the RA, I was advised to take Niacin Flush-Free to help combat this and it did eventually stabilize. In 2007 and again in 2009, I attempted to start Topimax again, but it may have been too high a dose too fast- I experienced extreme itching and had to stop the drug. (@brittney0410)
Thanks for your input! I have been scrolling information on Topamax since it is being prescribed in conjunction with the diet drug phentermine. I can relate to you & your comments have helped in my decision to try it or not.
Absolutely it's worth trying! I'm on it for bulimia, and it was like a wonder drug. I'd binge multiple times a day and a couple days after starting it I just didn't want to anymore. It's helped with so many things on top of that too. Mood swings, weight loss, and quite the opposite of others, it's made me more social. I don't over think every little thing I say anymore, but my thoughts are more scattered and it does make school a bit harder for me, still manageable though. Before the medicine I was constantly drowsy and fatigued, and now I'm constantly a ball of energy. I've really been very shocked at how much Topiramate has done for me. The only side effect I dealt with (other than weight loss, but mo complaints there), was tingling in my hands, feet, and then my face. When I asked my doctor about it, not my psychiatrist, just my primary, he said that when on Topamax you have to drink massive amounts of water. I did and I haven't had the problem since.
What is your dosage of Topamax?? I am on it for migraines as well but am wanting the benefit of the weight loss. I started taking it last night. My dosage is 1 25mg at night once a day, i have a feeling this low of a does isnt going to help with much.
Nope, not angry at all that people will take a seizure medication for weight loss when it's quite possible that it won't have that effect on them.

Yup, I AM upset that people aren't being told about the side effects. Why do you take offense to me coming in here and posting information that many people aren't getting? It may be up to their doctor to inform them but that's not happening much out here in the real world. Many people do not know that Topa is not a weight loss drug because that is why their doctor prescribed it to them. I am posting factual information, putting it into words that most people can understand so they don't have to wade through a whole bunch of information like the chemical make-up of the stuff or have to look up the definitions of the clinical terms like "nystagmus" (uncontrollable eye movements) or "oligohidrosis" (inability .

"If a doctor fails to inform his/her patient, that is the doctor's fault."
- And the patient will suffer the consequences. Sure, you can sue the doctor but will that really help if you're blind from glaucoma or dead from a pulmonary embolism?

"When I read weight loss, I also read all of the other side effects because they were listed right there along with the weight loss and since I'm not yet blind, it was as clear as day to me and everyone else" & "You are basically telling everyone who wants to take this medication with the hopes of losing weight that they are so stupid that they couldn't read the other side effects."
- Did your doctor give you this information or did you have to do your own research to find these things out? See, most people don't go research what they've been prescribed, they trust their doctor. Go poke around a bit and you'll find studies showing that very few people do research on their meds before taking them. So no, it's not "clear as day" to those that don't know about it. I NEVER said that people are too stupid that they couldn't read the information. I said that most people don't GET the information unless they seek it out. There is a ridiculously big difference there.

"You said that you don't see why people would think that they would get one side effect and not one of the others. I don't know why this concept is so difficult to understand."
- It's not difficult to understand. Taking a medication and hoping that you don't get the effects that it was intended for but that you will get one (and only one) of of the possible side effects doesn't make sense to me. Never has, never will. See, I don't care if someone has a few days of diarrhea or becomes sleepy or gets dizzy, those are general side effects. The possibility of going blind from glaucoma isn't something that most patients know about - I happen to think that they should know about it. How many doctors out there are telling people that Topa can cause anemia, diabetes or heart palpatations? How many people know that it can cause hallucinations and suicide attempts? Are females being told that Topa can lower the effectiveness of their birth control or that Topa has been raised from a class C pregnancy warning to a class D? Are they told that the "dry mouth" that can come from Topamax can cause serious tooth and gum issues? How about the fact that it can cause a rash that can be fatal? Do people really know that taking Topa with Ginkgo can cause convulsions? What about the possible interactions with Kava (or any other central nervous system depressant). Many doctors don't tell their patients that if you take an antihistamine with Topamax you should be careful to monitor your hydration levels because the combination can alter your electrolyte balance and/or result in an inability to regulate core body temperature. Are you really so unhappy that I'm giving this information to people??

"You misunderstood what I said about ephederine" No, I didn't. You said, "they had all sorts of side effects (that I NEVER ONCE HAD while taking it)" - So you are happy that you didn't have those side effects but now you will be happy if you get these side effects.

"If you claim to understand being overweight, why are you questioning why someone would want to take a drug that can possibly cause them to lose weight? I just don't get why you are so confused. I can understand if you flat out say that you disagree with someone's decision to do this, but claiming that you are confused doesn't make sense to me."
- Again, taking a medication and hoping that you don't get the effects that it was intended for but that you will get one (and only one) of of the possible side effects doesn't make sense to me. I'm sorry that you can't understand how that would be confusing. Perhaps you should explain to someone neutral about how you think people should take a medication and hope to not get the effects that it was intended to create but hope to get only one side effect out of a whole page of possible side effects then see if they think that's a logical rational chain of thought.

"The point is, it is not your decision to make"
- I've never tried to make a decision for anyone here. However I have had several people from this group contact me for more information or my opinions on their Topamax-related issues.

"But clearly you only want to argue"
- Yes, when I respond to someone's accusations about me it's clearly argumentative because, you know, it's not like I should have the chance to explain...

"So you can disagree all you want, but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what you think."
- In fact, it matters so little that you had to come back here and tell me how little it matters to you.

"You do know that Topamax was approved by the FDA to be part of a weightloss drug, right?"
- Yes, I do know that. In fact I've discussed it here, apparently you missed it. I've also pointed out that the first time Q'nexa came around for review by the FDA it was denied due to the high number of psychiatric problems that it caused.

"but I certainly don't want to go on an anti-convulsant that will make me gain 30lbs in one month either" & "talk to any bipolar person and that is one of their main concerns with their meds- almost all of them cause significant and rapid weight gain"
- Not many of the anticonvulants make you gain 30 lbs in a month. The weight gain is a possible side effect (oh the irony). And thank you for your concern but being that I AM bipolar (another thing that you apparently missed) I am fully aware of the weight concerns of the MI comunity. So while many are concerned with their weight, most would prefer to have a medication that works and suffer the side effects. But you know - that's just based on me putting in several hours a day, almost every day, for the last 3+ years working on websites and forums that are solely devoted to mental illnesses and the medications used to treat them.
Oops, somehow I didn't post it but the definition of oligohidrosis is the inability to sweat properly.
I took topamax several years ago (2004) for migraine headaches after a very intense divorce. I also took Phentermine for weightloss at the time. My doctor did not prescribe the Topamax for weightloss. I lost a total of 70 lbs. Of course I had a lot going on at the time...in and out of court over the divorce. I was exercising daily by taking a 1 to 2 mile walk to get rid of anxous feelings. Also taking Phentermine. My doctor at the time warned me that they nick name Topamax, "Stupidmax" and it would make me a complete airhead. I was more than willing at the time to sacrific a few brain cells just to stop the deabilitating headaches. Again as someone else state... the benefit out weighed the risk for me. One side effect I experienced was the tingling in my feet... now that drove me crazy. I am now well past the divorce thing and remarried. I was able to maintain that weightloss for 6 years and in 2010 I begain to pick up weight again. My weight issue is genetics and the food I eat. I  again have  stressful factors adding complexity to my life. As a result I have taken custody of my 2 year old granddaughter. It bothers me a lot that I am not able to play and have the energy I would like to have to really physically play with my grandchildren. They want me to get up and dance in the floor for an hour, but I am out of breath after 15 minutes. I have tried many things on my own, which include detoxing my body and juicing... I have failed to lose the weight. Iwent back to my doctor and asked for the Phentermine and he agreed to prescribe. I have been on it for two months and have lost 11 lbs. I am now going to ask him to put me back on Topamax in addition to the Phenermine.This time for the added benefit of weightloss. He may or may not feel comfortable doing this, but one thing is, if he does agree, he will ask to see me again in two weeks, he will do a full work up and it is my responsibility to tell my doctor of the side effects if any I am experiencing at that time.He and I will determine if he should continue to prescribe or remove the medicine from my regimen. I trust my doctor to make wise and informed desissions with my input, that is why I selected him to be my physician. I am a patient who always reads the information on the drugs I am prescribed. I want to be fully informed and understand what to look for as a temperary side effect or a big bad side effect that says i cannot take the medication. I am able to take some responsibility for my own health, even though I lack some control of my food intake. When beginning the topamax, if approved, I will also inform my co workers and my boss of the side effects of the medication so they understand why I may appear,less on top of things than before, but part of my responsibility is to not let the meds interfer with my productivity at work... if it does and I cannot medigate with a few extra tools such as reminders on my calanders and written to-do list then I will need to talk to my physician to adjust the dose or remove the meds from my regimen. Please understand at this point, I am willing to trade off the side effects I experienced before, tingling feet and ditziness just to loss weight and physically be able to just hang in there with my grandchildren again. I look forward to being able to have relations with my husband and leaving the light on again and agreeing to take a vacation to a tropical paradise, because I am willing to wear a bathingsuit again. How about going shopping and buying the cute clothes in the junior department and not having to try them on. Yes, I will gladly go through a few side effects to be 150 pounds again... You mention all these side effects, but what about all the side effects of being obese. I will trade off the high likelyhood of developing type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, depression, etc. for some tingling in my feet and feeling a little less smart anytime.
"I took topamax several years ago (2004) for migraine headaches after a very intense divorce. I also took Phentermine for weightloss at the time...  I lost a total of 70 lbs."
~~ As I have previously stated - Topa and Phen have been mixed together for Qnexa. For weight loss. This is the second time this med has been presented to the FDA. It did not pass the first time due to the side effects of the Topamax.

"if he (doctor) does agree, he will ask to see me again in two weeks, he will do a full work up and it is my responsibility to tell my doctor of the side effects if any I am experiencing at that time."
~~ If you do not know what the possible side effects are, how are you going to know if that's what you are experiencing? How does one know that if they experience pain behind their eyes, (often mistaken for a headache) it may be the beginnings of Topamax related glaucoma? Do they know that the rash they mysteriously picked up might be Stevens-Johnson syndrome, a rash that can be deadly? They would need to be told and not many doctors are doing that. It is awesome that you have a good doctor. Not everybody does.

Here's a joke for ya - What do you call the guy that graduated dead last from medical school?
-- You call him doctor.

"I am a patient who always reads the information on the drugs I am prescribed."
~~ That is a very good thing to do. Unfortunately it's statistically proven that most people don't do that. If anything, they come to forums like this to see if others have had the success on it that they are hoping for.

"part of my responsibility is to not let the meds interfer with my productivity at work... if it does and I cannot medigate with a few extra tools such as reminders on my calanders and written to-do list then I will need to talk to my physician to adjust the dose or remove the meds from my regimen. "
~~ Hopefully you will not have cognitive difficulties. One of the most common cognitive issues is word finding. As in an inability to remember random words. I'm talking about words like "scissors" or "blue", words that are needed to communicate simple thoughts.

"I am willing to trade off the side effects I experienced before, tingling feet and ditziness just to loss weight"
~~ What would make you think that you will get the same side effects you had previously? Your body chemistry has changed since then.

"You mention all these side effects, but what about all the side effects of being obese. I will trade off the high likelyhood of developing type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, depression, etc. for some tingling in my feet and feeling a little less smart anytime. "
~~ There are no side effects of obesity. There are effects of obesity. You can develop type 2 diabetes from being obese. You can develop type 2 diabetes from Topamax. Being obese can give you high blood pressure, so can Topamax. As for sleep apnea, you've got me there. Sleep apnea is not a known side effect of Topamax. But pulminary embolism is. Being obese can cause depression. Topamax can cause psychotic behaviour and suicide attempts. No slow sinking into depression needed - Topa can knock you off your rocker with no warning.

One person's results are not universal. One person loses weight, one person gains weight. Past results aren't necessarily an indicator of future results.
So I started Topamax for the Third time today.  The first time was back in 06' and I started it for Migraines that I would get 3-5 times a week atleast.  IT WORKED AMAZING! I went to only having about 1-2 a month with Topa. I started at a weight of 132 and by 6 months I was down to 102 and when I went to my gyno she accused me of being Ana. I was only on 100 mg a day.  Needless to say they took me off. Then in 09' they put me back on but on the Gen. version because of the weight loss issue.  I didn't react so great to them.  I had to go up to 100 mg twice a day and it still wasn't helping my migraines.  So I got tired of paying for a drug that didn't work and took myself off.  Now, 12' I asked to be put back on due to migraines coming back 3-5 times weekly and no pain meds working, and I asked to be put on Topa not the gen. version.  So, my doc told me to start again with the 25 mg and week adding 25 mg a week till 1 got to 100 mg.  WELL, the parm. messed up and gave me my old script of 100 mg 2 times daily. I didn't notice until I got home and I already paid a high price for it so I didn't want to call the parm back and get a new script. SOOO... I just cut the tabs in half and am taking 50 mb a day to start instead of 25mg does anyone know if that is too horrible.  I took my first one lastnight and is 10:16 am and my arms and face a tingly
Continue from above that I forgot...

I was wondering about weight loss... The first time I lost 30 lbs in 6 months the second time on the gen. version I lost none and actually gained but I also didn't take to the generic.. now im on brand name and having side effects i had first time of the tingles ... Has anyone experienced weight loss other than being on it the first time?
I started Topamax in September for migraines with headaches everyday in between. Started at 25mg working up to 100mg. 2 weeks ago doctor doubled dose to 100mg 2x's day.  I've only had 1 migraine. I have had numerous headaches though. I have also had more pain free days than I have had in years. I get pressure in my head and ears. My ears will ring occasionally. Since doubling dose, I cannot concentrate, cannot think clearly at all.  My mind is so fuddled. I am behind in my homework. I tanked on my math test. I can't find words. I have a hard time understanding the simplest things. As for weight loss, I've lost 13 pounds since starting. I rarely feel hunger. There are times when I it really does hit me (hunger) but when i eat, I lose interest fast or get full so fast.
weight loss? lol im epileptic i was on epilim for yrs i had every side effec u could think of and was really sick...was really bad with memory loss and put on weight so bad i got to a size 26... then i  remember i was 15st and i got down to 14st..i never went past 14st... and every time i had my fits i lost  way too much weight and i put all the weight back on... now im on topamax...i feel like its a drug  im actually aloud to take  and i feel GREAT for taking it!! 24th september i was told to start taking topamax and i was on 25mg twice daily...and now im on 50mg twice a day im now at the start i was 13 1/2st and now im 12.1/2st  i also used to have chronic fits   id have 5 to 10 fits a day and im used to it..  the best thing is is i have gall stones too and my epilim used to make me wanna eat.. topamax is 10%better as it controles ur diet and is way better for ur fits that epilim any day!!
I am a Accountant as well. Have you tried Fiorinal #3. One pill works for me and I can continue on with balancing a budget or working on detailed financials. Just started taking Topamax 25mg twice a day. Seems to be helping. I have had them all my lilfe. And they are now chronic more than 3 times a week. Hope you get better. God Bless
i have been reading some comments on topamax , and id like to leave some comment id like to say thanks because i started this drug back in september maybe about 5/6 weeks ago anyway i also started hormone theropy.. i would advise  many people who have never taken this drug b4 to take things slowly and slow down for a while in life... after the first week  of being on 25mp twice a day i hadnt slept for them 7 days  i even tried to sleep..i tried sleeping early so i could be up in time for kids skool run and all i was doing was waking up every 2 seconds.. my brain was forsing me to stay awake! it was abit upsetting because if i wanted to close my eyes i couldnt... and get this.. i went up to 75mg and you will never believe what i did.. the lack of sleep subsided..but it turned into something even worse!!  i have epilepsy plus a number of other things... wich mean i cant live a normal day to day life... i did used to sleep alot almost every day i dont go out of my home unless i am with someone or i feel like i am wanted.. i dont even clean my house much wich i know people mite think is nasty but i do have my husband and he spends most of his time looking after me and the house is mostly spotless.... i have 3 wunderfull kids and i do already suffer from memory loss...so the side effect of memoryloss i can not account for as i am already used to...but when i  got put on this 75mg i all of a sudden had this urge to not sleep all day and start doing house work... and since then i have stripped and redecorated my kids bedroom and painted all of the upstairs in my house  and i did that within 2 days all by myself!! and for  someone who sleeps allday never does anything i think that was one hell of an achievment but it was wurrying aswell as...whenever i wanted to stop it was like at the beginning when i when i tried to sleep in the night and i was forsed to stay awake by my own brain!  so if i was you for anyone starting to take topomax (topamax) id take it very easy for the first few weeks and yes you will get that sickly feeling for eating... i used to cumfort eat  or eat because i was bored!! but now i wont eat because its just something i dont like anymore! and im still loseing the weight!  as for the pins and needles in your feet..its kinda funny because im always used to lying on my sofa with my feet on the arm of the chair hehe  its one way for me to know when i go into a fit  my legs fall and it gives me that little shock or makes someone else aware of me having fits..anyway ive done it for yrs and im just telling my partner about it all and he says its the way im sitting but its not cos im used to it...  isnt there a way u can solve this problem as topamax is a very good medication if taken proppa and on the right dosage! ur system just has to get used to it i guess and just get over the first hurdle unless it carry's on.. i hope my advice reflects people out there and if u want to talk  about anything am always here xthanks x
Hi all,

I'm 20 and I just started taking Topamirate 50 mg 2x a day for chronic migraines. I can definitely tell that I've lost weight, and I'm 5'5'' and weigh 130, so I don't feel like I really need to lose weight. My migraines have gotten better, but it hasn't helped as well as I had hoped. I'm going to school right now for sports medicine, and I take classes about pharmacology, nutrition, injury recognition, etc., so let me offer up some advice. With the way that Topamax affects the brain and the way your brain cells work, to me, it is not a drug that I would recommend anyone taking for anything that is not neurologically related. It literally slows your brain cells down, making you sleepy, forgetful, etc. Since weight loss is just a *possible side effect*, it may not even occur, and I don't think it is worth the effects it causes in the brain.
I have noticed that sometimes I can't finish my sentences as easily, I forget things more, I am tired and can't concentrate all the time, and I have a hard time being motivated and studying. As soon as I am able to stop taking this drug, I will. I'm not saying this drug is horrible or that it hasn't changed the quality of life for me and many others, because it has. Or else I wouldn't still be taking it. It doesn't turn your brain to silly putty, I'm still maintaining my grades and all that, it just takes more motivation, and more coffee haha.

I understand weight loss is a difficult thing for many people, but if you haven't tried diet and exercise, then that's what I recommend you do because that is what will change your life. Build a support system for yourself! and if you have tried that and it didn't work, chances are taking an antiseizure med won't work either, so talk to your doc. My main point here is for people to weigh the pros and cons, and be careful what you are putting in your bodies! Hope this helps.
That happened to me at first, but then I got on the scale and noticed that I had lost 8 lbs in one month and my pants and clothes started feeling looser.  I think for me, it took about a month for it to kick in, and I am still contenuing to lose weight.  I have a lot of weight to lose and hope that the weight loss contenues until I am down to a point where I am at my goal weight and it stablizes.  I'm worried that I will only lose a few lbs and not all the weight I need to lose and then I'll be stuck again.  I was on this drug for about eight months when I was a teenager, and notice any sort of hair loss, but because I was over-medicated, I did turn into a zombie.  And my weight level did plateau after losing 20 lbs (I went from 160 to 140).  My weight before the medication was 145 and I was on 100 mgs, 60 in the morning, 40 at night.
  Now I am on 12.5 mgs at night to help me sleep.  I don't notice any extra foggyness or forgetfulness or any sort of hair loss either.  I also didn't notice any hair loss when I was a teenager either.  I think everyone's body acts differently to different medications and we have to be very self aware and watch out for ourselves to make sure that what we put into our bodies is good for us.
guys please relax everyone here is suffering form either mental or physical illness (in my case both bi-polar as well as migraine with severe weight issues) lets not fight amongst our selves and remember we are here to support each other.
I can't believe anyone would voluntarily take the drug. i take it because I have been diagnosed with eppilepsy, but I am terrified from the side effects...
I have been taking topamax since June 2012 for severe and frequent migrainea.  100mg per day. I lost 25 lbs without even trying. I just simply wasn't hungry. Ever. I had to force myself to eat and when I did, the littlest amount would satisfy me. I'd say it took 2 months to lose the 25lbs. It is now November and my appetite is back. Kinda scary cuz I really have to watch what I eat now! I would never take this drug simply for weight loss, though. Way too many side effects. Tingling fingers and feet, I feel stupid sometimes, very groggy in the mornings. It definitely helps with the migraines though. I've only gotten 4 since June. I WAS getting 4 per week.
I went on TOPAMAX 3 days ago, and I haven't felt hunger at all. I make myself eat something just to not pass out. I am not very overweight, I am 5'7 and I weigh 165lbs, and in just 3 days I've lost 7lbs. I want to drink water all the time, I am paranoid, my body is shaking, I feel very very bad. I moved out of my parents house 4 months ago, but I've decided to go and stay with them for a while now until I get used to the side effects from TOPAMAX, as I'm having very intensive reaction from 25mg a day, when I need to go up to 150mg a day. Oh, and the soda. beeh, I bought it just to try wether it really tasted as bad as I had read... it really does. yuck.
completely rude
somepeople have problems losing weight.
i am n topamax 100mg twice a day for migrains but i alos have issues losing weight no matter what i do.
you say that medication shouldnt be used for weight loss but i was at the gym for 2hrs three days a week and eat nothing but fruit and vegtables and have not lost a single pound but i had stopped taking my topamx because i was pregnant but now that im back on it even though i have no time to go to the gym with work, school and an infant but i have lose 30 pounds in the last 6 months
I started Topiramate (generic name) last night at 25mg and instructed to increase to 50mg in 7 days.  I wanted to share my story and hope that others can some how relate to it or share a similar story.  I have never had a migrane (migraine) in my life, not even sure what it actually is but a few months ago I started having pain on the right side of my head. extreme pain that I had never had with a regular headache, dizziness, nauseau on a daily basis. I seem to have short term memory loss, I forget what things are called, I can't speak intelligently or spell for that matter. I take the pill last night I wake up this morning and I feel like a vegetable, words are slurred, I've been looking at the same thing for hours trying to comprehend a sentence. I feel like I am loosing it and I still have the same pain. I'm zoning out, and everything is so slow. Does any know if this is normal or if they are going through the same thing? Its starting to get so serious for me that I think I need a second opinion from a different neurologist....
Have you received a second opinion to make sure your daily headaches were migraines and not stress or sinus headaches? Also, 200 mg is a big dosage. Have tried a smaller dosage to see if it works just as well. A smaller dosage could mean less annoying side effects.
Get an appointment with a new neurologist. The speech and memory problems are something to be concerned about.

If the wait for the next appointment is long then I'd go ahead and go to the ER and have some tests run. Even if they don't find anything they'll most likely give you some sort of pain med which will help a bit.

Now think really hard, before the headaches started did you change anything? I mean anything at all. -- Over the summer I got a terrible headache. It felt like the worst sinus headache ever. Had to go to the ER twice. Both times I was there they gave me morphine. The morphine didn't help. They ran scans and tests. Everything was clear. They sent me to an ENT to rule out infection or extreme inflammation. Nobody could find anything wrong with me. Then I remembered that about a week before I started having the headaches I had started taking Claritin for my sinus congestion. It was the Claritin that gave me the headaches. None of the doctors had ever heard of such a thing happening before. -- It really may be something as simple as that.
This is my first time to write but I must say it has been an eye-opener reading the comments. I was not aware ot the weight or hair loss or other side efffects until now and I was perscribed topomax (topamax) 50mg twice daily by my neuroligist for severe migraine. I am taking a lot of other medications also and did not know why I have become so thin, my memory is so bad (I am late 50's) and fatigue and dizziness and numbness still occurs nine months later. The hair used to coat the brush on washing but that seems ok now. Thanks for the insight. Hopefully things will ease? Is there a time limit for taking this drug?
This is my first time to write but I must say it has been an eye-opener reading the comments. I was not aware ot the weight or hair loss or other side efffects until now and I was perscribed topamax 50mg twice daily by my neuroligist for severe migraine. I am taking a lot of other medications also and did not know why I have become so thin, my memory is so bad (I am late 50's) and fatigue and dizziness and numbness still occurs nine months later. The hair used to coat the brush on washing but that seems ok now. Thanks for the insight. Hopefully things will ease? Is there a time limit for taking this drug?
I hope there is no Time limit on Topamax. I have been on it since 2005 for controlling my epilepsy. I tried some other medications but returned to it very quickly. I now take 300mgs daily and really notice when I miss a dose. 150am/pm. It seems to work well with other meds I take,zoloft and lamotrigine.
I've been taking Topomax (topamax) since 2002. In the beginning I had to stop taking it every six months for one day, then start back again the next day for another six months, because it didn't have approval from the FDA for migraines. Finally in 2004 it was approved. Unfortunately, at the same time I started taking Topomax (topamax) I lost my thyroid gland. So I can't be sure if I had any of the side effects or my issues were from the loss of the thyroid gland or maybe it was simply a perfect storm. I do know that I could not have lived my life much longer with the debilitating migraines that I had lived with since I was a toddler.
I just began this as well 3 days ago, I am dizzy already at 25 mg. working up to maybe 100 mg. but will the dizziness go away as I increase? I feel so dizzy and am ready to quit already yet the positive ... getting rid of migranes (migraines) is worth it if this side effect will subside, anyone please reply! THanks,
What happens if you take 4 topamax at 1 time.
I had surgery for removing tumors out of my lower abdomen,10 lb to be exact. I am on this to control my appetite so as to help me not gain weight while my incisions heal as to not end up with severe skin problems Im prone too. you my friend should speak for yourself. Some of us need help. Maybe u should just ask your Dr for answers instead of insulting people you don't know.
I take topimax for migraines. I'm only 17 years old. I started taking it at first when I was 15, I dropped 20+ pounds within the first couple months I was taking it. The doctor I was going to didn't like that. I've been sent to neurologists for head scans and tests. I've also been tested to be sure it's not cancer. I have really thin hair already and have noticed that in the last 2 months when I've started taking this pill again that my hair is falling out more and more each day. I don't think it really is helping to managey migraines. It just gives me 100mgs to swallow a day.
I have struggled with migraine headaches for years. I have changed my diet and have eliminated as many of my migraine triggers as possible. I do daily relaxation exercises and try to exercise 3 times a week-very busy schedule. I am a psychologist and work full time-sedentary job. My headaches have really exacerbated over the past two years to daily headaches...and I was going through my 12 Relpax a month and they were not always aborting the headaches. My doctor put me on Topamax (the generic) almost 8 weeks ago. I am up to 100 mg. My headaches have decreased significantly!!!  I have had minimal side effects. I am normal weight but have had some decrease in appetite and have lost 6 lbs.  I have had some hair loss. I started on 25 mg at night first week then 50 mg a night 2nd week, and now 50 mg in morning and 50 at night and get minimal "dopamax" effect. My doctor wants to increase to 150 mg. over the next 2 weeks to see if I go headache free. I have had good luck with Topamax. I am usually very sensitive to medication. As evidenced from this site, we all react so differently from the same medication. What can be a wonder drug for one person can be a nightmare for the next. So far my experience with Topamax has been great. It has proved to be  a miracle medication for  managing my migraines with minimal side effects.  There have been many medications that have helped other people and have not helped me. You just don't know until you try. If you start getting a bad side effect you can go off the medication/directed by MD. I think it is worth a try. I am so so happy. I get tearful when i talk about this with my husband because this is the first time in 2 yhears i have not suffered from migraine pain!!!
If it's not working very well AND it's making your hair fall out then I'd ask the doc if I could try something else.

I measure things like this as a pro and con situation.

If it was working then I'd (personally) take some hair loss and try using tons of vitamins and keratin shampoo & conditioner and thinking about biotin. But if it is not working like it's supposed to - why suffer the side effects?

I hope that you find something that works. You are so young to be dealing with this. I wish you all the best. If I can help in any way please message me.
Hi , if you don't care about weight gain, and actually it may be a non issue... I had the most success with migraine and veritigo on Nortriptyline with hardly no side effects other than urinary retention in the very beginning but that went away.  It does metabolize slowly so takes about 8 weeks to feel fully "better" but this was my miracle drug.  Had violent vertigo before then that disrupted my life to the point that I could not function.  I cried every day and thouht of taking my life.  However I did gain weight.  I am trying now to switch to topamax.  So far I'm only on 25 mg and don't feel a whole lot better but did notice a slight decrease in appetite but I'm also nauseus and moody and having sexual side efffects so I am not sure its going to work.  I will probably end up back on the nortriptyline as side effects were basically nil.  Look it up .  Not every one gains weight and I do know people who have been able to lose on it.  
Hi there. I just got put back on Topamax. The Dr put me on 25 mg twice a day. It definately made me shed A LOT of weight when I was on it a year ago and am happy to be on it again. It helps with my headaches and anxiety. I went from 170 lbs to 140 lbs in 3 months. That was quite a perk. They had me on 100 mg a day then. But, from my experience it definately works for weight loss.
what is your dosage if you dont mind me asking
Hi Girrl88
Whilst I have been to USA many time I fortunately have not found the need to visit a doctor. As a general practitioner for 10 years in Australia, i find some of the comments on this site almost unbelievable. I realize there are always bad eggs in every community, but I am reading these treads and getting the impression that most doctors in the very superior USA do not tell patients potential side effects prior to prescribing medication such as topamax. My pain specialist, sent me to a medically trained ophthalmologist, to check my eyes for potential  glycoma  prior to allowing me to commence the drug. He also gave me a written list of all side effects and stepped me through them, then asked me i had any questions, and sent me to the gp, so he could talk about the drug some more, before the drug prescription was finally written. Seems time consuming, but after reading the entries on this site, seems to me life is a bit of a gamble when it comes to getting a frug prescribed from the doctor in America. I used to thing those tv shows on fox tell about regular American medical blunders and stuff ups were either exaggerations or isolated events. I am now convinced if sick in America, get on the first plane out!
I have been on Topiramate for approx 4 months now after several unsuccessful attempts at regulating migraine headaches with non pharmaceutical means. I have found it to be an interesting drug. It works for me. I have found that I will continue to take it because it works! I simply was not able to function with the type and severity of migraines I had been having. I was having headaches 4 to 6 days a week with a migraine for about 3 of them. That is no quality of life. I was miserable. After trying many things on my own, I finally enlisted the help of my physician, we tried Elavil, which's off label use is for migraine management, but the side effects from it were just too much for me to handle. I could not form a coherent thought for hours the next morning which is unacceptable for me definitely in my profession.

Next we went Topiramate. Went went over this drug in his office extensively before starting. We titrated up from 25mg once daily for a week, to twice daily for a week, then on week 3 we went to 25mg in the morning and  50mg at night for a week, on week 4, to 50mg twice daily from now on. We went slow and easy. Yes, at first I also found I had some difficulty forming connections that would otherwise come immediately, but nothing so severe that I could not cope. I just needed a few seconds more to process what was being said and to formulate my response. I didnt forget anything,I just noticed I was a bit 'slower' if you will. That has lessened in frequency and I really dont notice it so much anymore really. Carbonated beverage totally taste like metal to me though, which is a good thing though, as I need to stop drinking them anyway :) As for weight loss. Well my appetite has decreased quite a bit. That is a plus, but certainly just a side effect. I love to cook and I still do almost everyday. I have a family. It just means that I dont eat as much junk food as I used to. I dont eat just because...out of boredom, that I see as a plus.I choose my foods wisely.If I have to make myself eat, then its gonna be something that my body needs, thats for sure.  But it also has been a gradual change and my physician very carefully monitors this. He is very particular about what I eat and is making sure that my Basic Metabolic Panel and Complete Blood Count is drawn regularly to determine that is drug is not negatively affecting my overall health. Since I do not eat as much as I used to, I  have also started taking a multivitamin to help with the extras I'm sure my body could use a little more of.

As for the migraine management, I feel like a new woman. I literally feel as if I have been given a second chance. I had no idea how much of my life my migraines had controlled. From walking outside to avoid the excruciating pain of the sunlight, to hiding from loud places cause the sounds split my head in half. Its a beautiful feeling to be able to freed by such things. I have migraines still every now and again, but they have decreased in severity and have almost disappeared in comparison. I have probably about 3 a month now...almost NOTHING like before. I am so thankful I have found this drug and have a physician that is willing to monitor so closely and assist every step of the way. I highly recommend doing your research, speaking with your physician, and doing a trial run before commiting to long term use, but best of luck and perhaps it will work for you as well as it did for me!
Wow. I just googled "Why can't I taste carbonation anymore?" And it brought me to this blog. I am taking 25 mg of Topamax to prevent headaches. I started a few weeks ago. Then I noticed a couple of weeks ago that Pepsi (I love Pepsi) started tasting crappy. I thought it was just that one. So, I drank a different soft drink and the carbonation didn't taste right in that one either. I noticed that the carbonation tasted 'off' in all the soft drinks and I stumbled across this board. My comment is this: Side effects for the same drug can be vastly different for different people. That's why we get the side effects for, say, an antihistamine might be drowsiness or alertness. For an anti depressant, the side effects, for some, might be suicidal tenancies. If the side effect from Topamax for you is weight loss and you are over weight, then good for you. If it is not, then, bummer. If you are hyperactive and a side effect is that it slows you down, then good for you, but if it slows you down and you're already tired, then, bummer. My point is, everybody and their reaction to this drug is going to be different so perhaps we can appreciate the positive effects the drug has for us, individually, and respect the negative impact it might have. We each have to monitor our own health related issues and weigh the pros and cons for ourselves. And, lest we forget, we are responsible for our own healthcare so it is of little value to blame doctors for not making us fully aware of ALL the possible ramifications of every drug we take. Obviously, we all know how to use the Internet so google it. My neurologist told me that if I had certain side effects to just stop taking the drug immediately. That there was no concern to stopping the drug suddenly. However, I read one post here that said stopping the drug suddenly was VERY detrimental and one should be weaned off of it VERY slowly. The fact is. Follow your doctor's instructions and if you have questions then do your own research and follow up by asking your pharmacist and doctor with your questions. I hope I lose weight with this drug, but that is not why I am taking it, nor did I even know that it was a possible side effect. Happy health to you all !
Im only on 75 mg of topamax 50 in the am and 25 at night to help with the side effects that have now almost all gone away  i have only been on it for a month and 20 days and I have lost 30 pounds  it has made me stop binge eating when i am stressed and made me less hungry im so lucky i found a doctor who could help me and knew about this drug
I have been on the generic for just four days and I hate the side effects.  I was terrified to take the pills after all of my reading, but decided nothing ventured nothing gained.  I've had my migraines increasing at an alarming an debilitating rate lately and something needs to be done or I will quickly be unable to support my family.
But, in my attempt to get well and support that family, the side effects may make it so I can't.  If I get too dumbed down and can't find words I'll look like a real fool on national TV.  That's my job.  I can't do it with migraines and yet the cure for the migraines might make it so I can't do it.
We shall see.
For some reason my doctor started me on 25mg both morning and night.  I don't know why that is.  Everything I had read indicates that you always start a migraine patient on Topomax (topamax) at 25mg at night and then increase after a week.  Maybe that's why I'm having side effects that are really bugging me...dizzy...headache...fever...ringing in ears...sore throat.  He said they'd go away within 2-3 weeks.  But after a week I am supposed to up the dose again and that is supposed to make me feel the side effects again, assuming they've worn off and maybe even some more.  Fortunately for now I seem to be able to come up with words when I need to.  Another thing that is a bonus for a national TV host.
So excited to join you all on this journey.  I pray we will all get what we are looking for and not have to make too many sacrifices of other things to get what we really need to give us quality of life.
I have lost 32 pounds in 2 months on 75mgs
it took me 3 weeks for all of the sides effects to go away after the last time my dosage was uped at first i felt like I was on drugs    and had trouble talking and remembering things and had a few bad aniexty attacks  now all of that is gone and i feel the best i have felt in years
the side effects for me were not as bad each time i upped my dose but they were noticable... when i  started taking 2    25 mg pills in the am together they made my side effects a more intense for just a few days but then they started to go away  my sore throat went away after 2 weeks
ya...if you start to want to eat your couch, you need to GET SOME HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
dont want to eat my couch and have now lost 34 pounds .....your post sounded kinda nasty    just saying its working for me....
im new to forums and posting sorry thought that was for me  
It seems everybody is talking about the side effect of losing weight with this drug but it is also prescribed for obesity, because of that side effect. I'm currently on it for horrible migraines & lack of appitite is the only thing I have experienced. It is helping my migraines & this is the first drug that has helped me with them. I take 25mg in the morning & 50mg in the evening & it's working well. I just wanted people to know that this drug is prescribed for a number of things & 1 of them being obesity. For all of you that are just looking into the drug to maybe start to take in the future, yes it's great hearing people's stories on here but talk to your doctor too. If the both of u think this would benefit you in some way you could always try it & if the side effects are to much then u could always try something else. I'm immobile from 4 back surgeries in the last 3 years & I don't have the full use of my body back yet & have gained weight because of that so for me to lose a few pounds is great but my migraines being almost nonexistent is amazing!
was on cym. for intense hand pain from fibro and arthritis and polyneuropathy...but i put on 30 lbs in 2.5 months!!!! having hand back surgery i can not afford to carry the weight not to mention the depression it adds on to my incredibly hard life...switched to topamax this week, titrating up from 2g mg 1xday up to.....see how far i need to go to get results...my appetite is down but i never was a big eater..my hand pain is bad....i can type this but only when taking my oxycodone...i am dizzy...hope this side effect goes away...and pray the pain and pounds are relived..i just wonder if anyone else has had help with this kind of pain?  thx
Weight loss is an off-label use of Topamax. I'm sure that it is prescribed for weight loss but that weight loss is not guaranteed. Just like the hair loss is not guaranteed.
It is extremely unhealthy to lose weight that quickly. Please tell your doctor that you are losing approximately a pound every 2 days.

Healthy weight loss should go at approximately 2-4 pounds per week.

~ Rapid weight loss can cause gallstones and dangerous electrolyte imbalances (which can be life-threatening).
~ Rapid weight loss can cause dehydration and given that the fact that Topa can cause kidney stones it is pretty dang important to stay properly hydrated. It can be hard to stay hydrated when your food/liquid intake has been drastically reduced.
~ Topamax can cause issues with the absorption of certain vitamins that are very important such as vitamins D and B12. Since you are losing weight so rapidly you are most likely not getting the amount of these that your body needs regardless of the Topamax usage.
~ It can also cause problems with magnesium and blood sugar levels and can cause metabolic acidosis.
~ And then there's the heart. If you are not getting enough protein then your body will begin to feed off of your muscles and organs. Your heart is a muscle.

Other than that, congrats on your excessively unhealthy weight loss.
I started this medication for my daily Migraines at a dose of 50 mg for a week and am now at 125 mg this week. Next week I increase to 150 mg a day and stay at that dosage. I am experiencing the tingling in my feet and hands and can't hold a thought for more than a few minutes. Finding the right words to speak is difficult sometimes and typing this comment took me quite awhile lol. Can anyone tell me if these side effects will improve. I still have slight headaches and my eyes are very dry and sensitive to the light. Thank you for any insight.
Sometimes it gets better and sometimes it doesn't.

The tingling can be helped with potassium. Eating a banana every day can help. The potassium imbalance can also mess with your electrolytes so many people (myself included) drink Gatorade or some other sports drink that helps to balance the electrolytes as well.

The memory and word-finding issues are not so easily managed. It could be your brain just getting used to the med, in which case these things will ease up. It could be because of the change in dosage, in which case it will most likely ease up. Or it could be that the Topamax hits your brain in the wrong spots and it's just going to do that to you no matter what.

When I was on Topa I had major issues with memory and word-finding. Had to take notes all the time. Fortunately, I talk with my hands so it wasn't usually too hard for other folks to figure out what I was trying to say. I will say that I do not believe I could have held a job due to the severity of those two issues.

As for the eyesight, I'd call the doctor and ask. Odds are that it's not a big deal but you only get one pair of eyes so an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Topamax can cause dry mouth so I can imagine it might do the same for eyes.

If it seems to be helping with the migraines I'd try to stick it out and see what happens. It will take a few weeks for your body to fully adjust so there's no way to really tell what things are going to be like in say... a month. If you're still having problems then it becomes an issue of pro and con. Whether it's worth HAVING the stupids to NOT have the migraines.

Hope this helped some.
I take 50 mg twice a day. Was at the time of post and it is still working. I have lost about 10 more lbs and have maintained the same weight now for about 3 months.  It took a while for the weight to start coming off and it did gradually the first time. This time I was dieting and exercising when I started (trying to lose baby weight) and it seemed to come off a little easier.
In my experience with topamax, my first time taking I had the side effects you are describing except for the eyes. My neurologist suggested my dose was too high and after bringing it down they mostly subsided. I still had tingly hands and feet at bed time but maybe the banana trick will help with that. I am now taking it for a second time with none of the same side effects 6 months in...
Call your doctor and describe how you are feeling and see what they recommend. Best of luck.
Thank you so much I will try the bananas and drinks. Bonus is I have lost 10 lbs! I will stick it out and see if the side effects get better. Thanks again.
Thanks take care
Great post ... very well thought out and thoughtful.  Thank you for expressing your feelings so eloquently.
I am currently taking topiramate for alcohol consumption and also with the hopes of weight loss but I am terrified of hair loss ... I already have thin hair to begin with. Did you lose any hair? So far I haven't lost any weight. I am currently at 75 mg and am supposed to go to 100 mg next week and stay there. Any advise? Thank! :)
Exactly. All the weight won't just fall off. You wouldn't want it to either. It's not healthy. About 2 or 3 lbs a week is a good amount.

My experience with Toamax:
-28 year old female
-Topamax (Topiramate)
-Usage: 3 months with immediate results
-For mood stabilization (aggressive focused depression, anxiety, and borderline bi-polar disorder) bulimia, and weight loss.
-Dosage: Started at 25mg once a day for 7 days, then 50mg for 7days, all the way up to 100 mgs. Now steady at 100mgs now for almost 2 1/2 months. Seems to be a good dosage for me
-Side Effects: Have lost 17 lbs. Now at a healthy BMI and weight of 146 (super happy) only side effects i have really had are tingles in the feet and hands (which were mostly in the first few weeks) and minor head aches the first few days but they went away very quickly.

Results:This medication has been extremely helpful with all three. Mood control saw an almost immediate change which was phenomenal. This is a problem I have been battling for years and have had no luck getting help. I have been keeping my eating disorder in the dark from friends and family for over 10 years up until recently. It was nice to finally get help and find something that was able to help me feel normal. This medicine may not be for everyone, but I would certainly give it a try. I feel like its the miracle drug. I even tried all natural things because I believe that putting chemicals into our bodies isn't the answer.

BUT - sometimes its the ONLY answer...for some of us. I tried everything i could think of. chiropractor, natural supplements, anti-depressants, yoga, exercise, meditation, cenitol (also natural), alcohol, pot....you name it. But everything either made it worse, or did nothing. So believe me, i know where you are and the boat your in. I'm sure of it.
Spoken like a true idiot. Not all people who are overweight are that way because they eat alot.  
Hello this is a new medication for me and not sure what to expect of it.  Have read quite a bit about it and still not sure.  Can any one tell me if they have the same side affects as I do.  I get a numb like feeling on my fingers only and seems to be always around the same time of day. Although I can not complain I rather have that then the migraines. :)
Hello ,

Thank you for your words of wisdom regarding this topamax. I was wondering if you could tell us a little bit more about what happens when taking topamax with a benzos?

Hi, I don't recall there being any contraindications between Topamax and benzos. When I was on the Topamax I did Xanax for a little while then did Valium for a while.
I have been on Topomax (topamax) for about 3 weeks now at 100mg, about to go up to 200 mg soon. The side effects I have noticed are in terms of appetite, it has changed, sometimes I feel hungry but quite often not. There are days when I eat only once. I have not lost any weight even though my eating habits have changed so much.
Some bonuses I will add are... not that I was a total lush, but I have cut down to almost no alcohol, which really is a must when you are taking this drug, although I've read a bunch of different opinions about this. I haven't craved a cigarette, which really only ever happened when I'd be drinking.
The tingling in the toes and fingers are there and memory loss and fogginess is there unfortunately, so thank go auto correct exists. I'm still not sure whether I prefer taking it at night or in the morning, so I think I've decided to split my dose when I go to 200mg and do one in the am and one in the pm.
Good Luck to you all....
I have experienced itching at night.  I usually take my pill 25mg at 7-8pm.  The itching startsa few hours befroe then.  I have been wondring if it is a withdrawl (withdrawal) symptom of the meds wearing off.  Cortisone cream did seem to help.
Are you someone who actually suffers with migraines?
I for one am and I would rather not have to take Topamax. The side effects are awful; this medicine is not given freely.
My doc put me on Topiramate 50mg once daily.  He did not specify morning or night.  He prescribed it because I was having severe headaches & he thought the side effect of losing weight was good for me because I do need to lose a bit.  No other comments from him - not even if I should take in AM or PM.  So, I took before bed & laid awake all night paranoid.  I stayed on it for 2 weeks continuing to have headaches.  Lost no weight, just sleep. He put me on Lyrica with the same results. This "professional" diagnosed me with Fiibromyalgia, epilepsy & anxiety so he could use the proper code for the insurance company to justify the drug.  I waited 2 years for a job with the TSA and when finally called I was rejected because of this inaccurate diagnosis.  

Since then I have changed docs & it seems my headaches are from a nerve issue in my neck from a previous injury. Fiorinal has worked OK but my doc doesn't want me on these pain meds forever.  So, he is recommending Topiramate.  This time I smartened up and came online to get info - that's how I found your board.  This time I am starting 25mg 2x day & crossing my fingers
Hello I am new. I'm sorry to read that scub, thats horribile!
My experience on Topoaxax has been a long one. I am currently on Topamax to lose weight. I weighed 110 #'s and I'n still weighing at 139 #'s. Topamax has done nothing for me and I am at 200 mg twice a day for about 6 months.
I'm not here to discourage since I have read that people have lost the weight, but I havent.

Christina
That is why my doc put me on Topamax yesterday--to prevent the emotional eating (periodic bulimic tendencies). I am hoping it works, though she put me on a super low dose. It's taking everything in my power not to take more than prescribed, but I will listen to her direction and go with it.
Thanks for your input.
I have been taking 100 mg. Topamax for years and haven't lost a lb.  I also wake up every morning with a headache.  I take either a Goody powder or 2 Bayer Aspirin and drink some Coke, then go back to bed because it is usually very early (3-5 am).  I take it for other reasons, but I should still get the same benefits shouldn't I?
I'm 26 and I have been on the Generic version of Topamax for a year and have lost close to 65 or 70 pounds in that year.(a lot of the weight loss came when I separated from my husband and got really depressed from that) I am taking it for Migraines, I would get them 2 and 3 times a week before starting the medication now I get maybe 1 or 2 a month. the weight loss is defiantly an upside for me as I had had 2 of my children 18months apart from one another and have had a very hard time getting all the weight off in the 6 years they have been born, I have tried diets, changing everything I eat, cutting out all pop and only drinking water, working out but nothing helped get the pounds off so doctor said this medication would help with the migraines and the weight. I started out on 25mg 2 times a day and worked up to 100mg witch is what I am on now. with in the 1st month I was losing weight I only had a little tingles in my feet and hands for the first week but I uped my water intake and it went away. I didn't start to get foggy headed until recently id say with in the last 3 months. my biggest problem with the medication is that my hair is falling out in big amounts I had REALLY thick hair and now it is really thin- it comes out in big clumps when I am in the shower and when I brush it out, I cant run my fingers threw my hair anymore (something I have done since I was a kid) because hair always comes out with it. I really don't want to stop taking the medication as it helps SO much for the pain in my head but I am so scared if I continue I could loss all my hair. I have read about a lot of people stopping it and all their weight and then some coming back and I don't want that either. does anyone know if it is jus the generic version of the Topamax that makes your hair fall out or is it the name brand as well? I have slowly stopped taking the generic Topamax for a week now and have had 2 migraines and the pain in my back from dislocated disk is back, I never really knew it was helping with that pain until I stopped taking it.  
I take my in the morning when I get up rather then when I go to bed, my doctor as well never told me AM or PM but I have found it works better taking in the morning, when I first started taking the medication and had to work up to the 100mg im on I had to take on in the AM and one in the PM but once I got to 100mg once a day I opted for the AM. I too was up in the night when I had to take it then. hope it gets better for you.
maybe try taking it with water rather then Coke, the caffeine may be the issue of the headaches. what do you take Topamax for?
Drink more water and the numbness should start to go away. I had it when I first started( I take it for migraines). with this medication you have to drink ALOT of water or you can get the numbness and dry mouth. Good luck with the medication.
I just started on 25 mg topamax for weight loss, can anyone tell me when I can start seeing any results? I start on 50 mg on day 8 for 2 months. I need to loose 50 lbs by summer really bad. Ty for any help
I am a seizure patient who was originally prescribed Topamax to control my seizures and for migraines.  I was already athletic, if not thin, to begin with, and lost weight drastically.  So much that I begged my doctor to take me off the meds.  Which they finally did so I could get to a healthy weight and be able to run to the level which I was accustomed to (I was a Marine Officer, thus needed to be fast and athletic for my profession, however I'm now medically retired).  Once you up to 50 x 2 a day, you'll see the results.  And as for the soda side effect, I actually enjoyed it, it was like I was drinking chili soda-it's spicy, but somewhat flat.  

As for losing weight that rapidly before summer, be cautious.  Weight Loss should be steady, typically 1/2-2 lbs a week is a normal weight loss margin.  Any more than that the weight may come back.  What I typically do when I need to shed a few pounds is to calculate the caloric intake of what I need for the weight I want to be, that way I'm not dieting and when I hit my goal, I just continue in my daily routine.  Consulting a nutritionist and/or a fitness coach during your weight loss goals helps immensely.  
And on a side note, the nick name for Topamax is Dopamax, cause it will do just that.  If you have a profession that requires you to speak publicly and/or narrate in any capacity, do not take it before you have to step up to the mike.

I made the mistake twice of doing so, I used to narrate a lot of functions, the first mistake was before a ribbon cutting ceremony with high ranking representatives from the base and the local community, and the second was a Child Abuse Awareness Proclamation Ceremony.  

I was selected to read the proclamation, and struggled so thoroughly with every sentence, that people misjudged my drug interaction with personal past experience.  

Needless to say after that I didn't read very often in front of the local populace.  
Ty very much for your reply. I think my dr wanted me to stay on 50 mg for 2 months but I think I'm going to stay on it for a week and then go up to 50x2
Also ty for your time served.

Topamax is also used off label for alcohol abuse so that could be why you don't have drink  even Kool Aid "cravings or they taste bad perse.  It is a bit if a catch all, mood stabilizer, weight loss, alcohol abuse inhibitor, it's riding the wave through those side effects.  Hang in there and best of luck!
I'm suffering from chronic migraines on top of post concussion syndrome from a skiing accident.  I'm willing to try Topamax but very fearful about the hair thinning/loss side effect as I've already been experiencing this.  None of my Dr.s can figure out why other than stress.  I have 4 young children and my youngest has a lot of health issues which has been ver stressful over the past 4 years. I started taking Prozac 6 months ago which really helped even out my hormones but hasn't stopped the hair loss.  Was just wondering how many people experienced this side effect and how severely?  Thank you for your time!
I tried topomax (topamax) low dosage I think 25mg unfortunately I didnt experience weight loss but I did end up with uncontrollable painful muscle spasms that left me in a wheel chair temporarily and on pain meds until it flushed out. :(
Hi Kiti33,
There are several Manufacturers of generic Topiramate.  Don't give up trying different brands.  They are allowed by the FDA to have a 20% filler rate. Which can affect side effects and potency levels and all manufacturers use different fillers.  If you can't get the Brand Name Topamax, then try the manufacturer Teva.  It seems to have fewer side affects in their Topiramate, compared to a few others that I have tried.  Ask your pharmacist to tell you what brand they use and ask them if they could order you another generic brand.  If not, try another pharmacy. Write down the brands you try on a "tried it list" and their side effects. Good luck.
thats what im doing im supposed to take 150 but am taking 125 but cutting it in half because of the side effects and also taking the biotin.
i want to try and take biotin aswell with my topiramate but i read on a website that biotin can lower the effectivness in antiseizure medications...
i was recently put on topiramate for weightloss and to control my binge eating disorder last thursday and im currently at 25mg in the am and 25mg in the pm, im curious as to how u are doing?? keep me posted
A couple of things here...

Don't play with your dosage without discussing it with a doctor/nurse.

Topamax is not like aspirin or ibuprofin - you don't just take an extra one because you feel that you need it. Also, if a pill is not scored (has a small line of indention marking where it should be split) then it is not meant to be split. Scored pills are (supposedly) manufactured to have the same amount of medication in each half of the pill. Not scored = definite crap shoot on how much med you are getting. Also, if a pill is coated and you split it, you've just messed around with absorption rate.

~ ~ HAIR LOSS ~ ~
I was on Topamax for several years. After I'd been taking it for... maybe 4 years, I started losing my hair. I've always had tons of hair, used to joke that I shed like a dog, I'm used to having a lot of hair in my hairbrush every morning. But it seemed like I was starting to lose a bit more every day. I started losing hair in the shower. You know how at the end of the shower you have to pull that little wad of hair out of the drain? I started having to do that once during the shower, between shampoo and conditioner. Then I had to start doing it twice, after the initial rinse and again after the shampoo. This continued on until it got to the point where I was having to pull out that wad of hair 4-5 times per shower as it would completely block up the drain. I came off the Topa. I continued losing hair for about a year after quitting. When I would go to get my hair done I'd need to explain that a medication was making my hair fall out so it needed to be cut really unevenly (but in a cool way) When my hair was in a bob you could tell that some areas were sparse as it makes the hair hang at different lengths. It wasn't until about 3 1/2 years later that it really started coming back in. Before then it would grow in but often be so weak and brittle that it would just break off.

At this point I'd say that maybe 2/3 of it has come back. I think it's a safe bet that I'll never get full regrowth. My hair had always been strong and thick. I once actually flossed my teeth with a strand of my hair. (don't ask) But now, my hair is so thin and fine, it kind of reminds me of cobwebs. For me, it was very hard to watch so much of myself (hair) being rejected by my body. I've never been vain, hardly ever look in the mirror in the bathroom when I'm washing my hands, but for me my hair was (apparently) a big part of my personal identity.
My name is Jen, and I had started taking topomax (topamax) (topomitrate) a couple of months ago, and I had run out and just not called my doctor for a refill because I had not seen very many results. My doctor has just put me back on it for migraine prevention. I get migraines almost daily, so she is hoping that this will work. I had been looking up this drug online, and saw that it weight loss is a side effect. That actually appealed to me, as well as the migraine prevention. I am only 5'4 and weigh about 150 pounds or so. So I am definitely looking to lose weight. I haven't tried any supplements to lose weight, besides Green Coffee Bean Extract, which actually worked very well for the first two months or so.

So there are two questions that I would really like answered. For anyone who has chronic migraines, has the helped prevent them?
And to anyone who has taken topomax (topamax) for any reason, have you lost weight? And at what milligram. The milligram that I am on right now is 50 mg twice per day, to 100 mg a day. Do you think that I should talk to my doctor about upping my milligram for more aggressive results? Both for migraine prevention, and weight loss.  
They start u low so your body can gradually get used to it , that way u know how your body will react to each dose and how far u can go. Its ideal. I am beginning on 25 also. two a day.. Everyone's body will react differently to it. It may be a month and at 100 mg before u feel any thng or it could be within 2 weeks at 50 mg... follow your body.
I noticed that I posted a comment back in October of last year which is when I was first put on Topiramate. I take 50mg, twice a day. I have lost weight, but I also have been on a regime of Green Coffee Bean and a Raspberry Extract, as well as Garcina Cambogia. What scares me, is the fear that if I get taken off the medication and if all the weight that I have lost has been due to the topimax and not the other supplements I have been taking. I started taking the other supplements in August and lost 15lbs the first month before taking the topomax (topamax), so hopefully I will still be able to keep it off. The other thing I fear too though is that I am totally loosing my appetite. Each day that goes by I almost always have to make myself eat. Today it was 4:00 before I ate anything. I'm 53 and it isn't attractive to start looking gaunt at an old age. I also fear loosing hair and getting ill from malnutrition. I still have mild migraines, not totally disabling as they were, bit still frequent. I see my Neuro the 22nd so I will discuss some of these thoughts with her. Have any of you come off of the meds and stayed off and what has been your experience doing so?
I was on Topamax for over 3 years, I took myself off , I was having memory loss, double vision, and hard time thinking about what I wanted to say, since ive been off I have been hungry all the time... and I have gained weight, can I just start back up taking them again...  
With me iam on 200mg twice daily @1st i had no desire for food,ive bn on it now for 2yrs and i do get the hunger, but i lost 50lbs n the1st 5months n can eat what ever i want n not gain a lb bk, so just stick w it, itll take a few months to start its job and the weightloss,oh btw i started out on 25mg2xs a day n didnt change a thing n my life,no exercise, i live w chronic pain n go to a pain mgt dr monthly, and i didnt change eating habits.  You just have to give it time. And to anyone else interested n my experience w Topamax, i hope it gets better for u
I was put on Topamax combined with lamictal after having a grand mal seizure 7 yrs ago. I stopped the lamictal among all the other meds they had me on about 4 yrs ago but have continued the Topamax because of my bad migraines and I guess its kinda a security blanket for me. I take 200 mg at night but I have never lost weight on it, I still have headaches everyday just not as bad and my memory is horrible, at times I get so frustrated with myself! It ***** trying to study and people think I'm ditzy when I'm actually really intelligent!! i'm so used to the dose now, it doesn't even do anything, but I've not even checked to see how much more I could take because I don't know if I want to.  I don't understand people just taking this for weight loss!! Sorry, I have Colitis and and an autoimmune disease but I don't take meds for those. I would rather not take Topamax but i'm afraid to stop it, especially with what I do...even if I haven't had a seizure in 7 yrs. that was before Topamax.  
hi ive just sat and read you story and i feel like you have just explaind my life from start to finish to with differant named slimming tablets i have at my biggest been a size 34 but with the help of thyroxin and slimming world the gym and a whole heep of slimming aids im now a uk 14-16 im also in Topamax i have been taking it now for 2 years and iand im on 300mg a day for my migrains like everyone else i have gone off soda drinks BOOOO im not sure if it has helped with my weight loss but im loosing slowly but i work out like a trooper and i so happy my migraine are almost none plu whoop whoop
Just wanted to give my experience with Topomax (topamax) from the summer of 2012.  I was hospitalized with severe clinical depression.  I am bi-polar.  I had been on every anti-depressant imaginable.  The family Dr. at Camh suggested Topomax (topamax) for a few reasons.  I suffer awful neck pain, ears pulling neck choking face pulling down from elective midface and necklift I had done just over 3 years ago.  Some days it is just unbearable.  I had tried some serious narcotics such as morphine and oxycodone and neither of them  touched this kind of pain, which I believe to be nerve damage. Two of Toronto TOP Plastic Surgeons said what I was describing made no sense?  They had never heard of anything like this.  I had this surgery done at one of the top 10 hospitals in the world in Bangkok.  I researched and researched and even spoke to a woman here who used the Dr. I did.  After MUCh research online I have found others who suffer from this kind of pain I describe.  So the Dr at CAMH said Topomax (topamax) is used as a mood stabilizer (although not one of the best, has no weight gain, as most do, (in fact weight loss) works as a sleep aid and so I was more then willing to try it.  My shrink at the hospital was unfamiliar with Topomaxbut put me on it with the MDs recommendation.  However the dosing was far too fast.  She had me up to 200 mg in 2 weeks. I was like a zombie.  So foggy, unable to form words, STUPID hence the nickname Dopomax,I did however notice my appetite completely went away as did my desire to smoke, after 40 odd years.  So I quit cold turkey.  So that was good.  But the confusion had me concerned.  So I came off it, a little slower then I went on it.  Skip ahead a year and I now have my own shrink putting me back on it 25 mg once a day for a fw weeks then to 50 mg for a few weeks and just now starting 100 mg.  I believe that is the dose where the "good side effects" come in (I did start smoking again when I went off it, but am adamant to stay smokefree and eat properly.  I believe with proper medical supervision this may be a very good drug for certain people.  If it helps with my neck pain that will be fabulous.  If I need to add lyrica or neurotin so be it.  I do not want to live with this kind of pain any longer.  I am 58 and this has been going on for over 3 years.  It is used mostly for migraines but off label for bipolar and pain.  Good luck to all.
I started on the name brand Topamax in 2007 for migraines. Within two months I was taking 100 mg which really helped curb the migraines. I went on the generic Topiramate a few years later when it became available, I still take it to this day. For years I noticed a lot of hair in the shower drain and on my hair brush. In 2007 I also began taking coral calcium and the excess hair loss stopped. I've noticed if I lay off taking the calcium for any length of time my hair starts to thin out. I take Coral Calcium Ultra with 75 trace minerals, vitamins, A, C, D, E, K, B2, B6, B12. I sound like I sell it but I don't, I just know that I feel better when I take it. Hope this helps :)

I have to say that, everyone should of course share their experience, but keep in mind that everyone is different and react differently to everything. For me, the ONLY side effect I have even at 200mg a day is a bit of tingling in my fingers and toes, other than that, I feel fantastic, and I am actually on it for migraines, have not been on it for very long so I cant speak to the weight loss part, especially since I dont ever feel hungry anyway, for me its cravings. I did notice the pop thing, I thought it was weird, and didnt know that is what it was till I read this, I am not sure if my dr is going keep me on it since we have now gone to trying botox for my migraines. I have chiari one malformation, and so far all the different meds (indomethacin, sumatriptan+ibuprofen, fioricet and topamax) have failed, I have considered wanting to stay on it though since I have epilepsy and bi polar and obesity, then I could come off of my lamictal, since it does the job of all of those as well. All I am saying is that it doesnt hurt to try it, and if it works great if not, then dont use it, but you cant base your descision to not even try it based in fear of other peoples reactions to it, it is something you should talk to your dr about to see if they think it could help you.
In terms of weight loss, it is different for everyone.  I take 200mg bid for epilepsy and it has not affected my appetite at all.  It does, however, affect the taste of pop.

As for Zoloft (sertraline), that had more of an affect on my appetite than the tomomax.  I am now on 150 mg hs (in the evening) and I find that it is far easier to control my appetite. So, I am not sure if it is the marriage of the zoloft and topomax (topamax) or if it is just the zoloft.

Good luck to all.
100mg am/pm
I have been taking topiramate now for 13 days. i took a physical for a job and failed it. the doctor let me know i had the highest blood pressure he had ever seen. 220/140, at the lowest, over 20 minutes of taking it several times. laying down. we discussed my weight, 333 lbs (5ft 11in), past meds that were utter failures, and my grand attempts at dieting and exercise that lead nowhere. he informed me that my blood pressure was too high to be exercising, stroke was too high of a risk for strenuous activities and I should avoid overly elevating my heart rate and stressing my body.
Topamax is used for many many conditions, Spina Bifida, Siezures, Migranes (migraines), etc. it causes lowered pain sensations in nerve endings. (i have lower back problems, degenerative disks) and side effects are lowered blood pressure, weight loss.
Beings as I am already bald, and the Numbing sensations are mostly curbed by drinking large amounts of water, which is easy to do sense it is summer time.
so here is hoping that either my blood pressure drops so i can safely exercise and/or i lose weight. but i am definitely loving the curb in the lower back pain.

the first couple days i did have a few dopey moments, but that subsided when i started drinking a lot of water.
and yes, soda is BLECK! :)
i will tell you my exprience. I was prescribed topamax to add to my phentermine. I was in a really bad car accident in Oct. 2012 and my L5 S1 vertibret broke. bone went through my leg and arm broke in three places. I began Topamax hmmmm March or April 2013, its hard to remember much. But it caused me to yes lose weight and quickly, my drinking slowed to almost nothing, and I thought i was ok. But ppl asked me everyday if i was drunk or on drugs. I slurred, could barely see. always remembered to cook for myself but never ate it se3emed like i would try and couldnt. I couldnt remember anything and could rarely finish a story or get a complete thought out of my mouth. i thought i didnt have any pain but i was just moving through it. everything was blury all the time. I ended up getting to where i saw things. had this horrible feeling of death or evil folling me. I was scared all the time. I had a conversation with a dead girl and almost killed myself. she told me my kids died in my accident and that it wasnt fair i lived (my children were not in my wreck with me). I had horrible dreams when i actually slept. and i slept with an x and ended up losing my fiance in the navy. I do not remember much of this month time frame, thats the worst part..... and one night i thought my daughter was haing a seizure, i called 911. she wasnt doing anything except passing out in the car like a tired 3 year old does. In turn no one wanted to listen because i sounded nuts and ended up accuseing a friend of poisening my daughter with a damn cookie....my mother had to tell me this part cuz i do not remember it. When i realized that night, after having to stay awake after i normally would have been aleep what was the only thing out of my normal routine, (i literaly almost admitted myself into a mental hospital thinking something was wrong with me) i failed out of college that semester. and the night at the hospital lost my children. it isnow july and this was april when i took the meds....I still have not recieved my children back, and have seen several doctors and have verification that it was the topamax that did it to me. but cps doesnt care they think it was really me....idk but i will tell you that topamax, it ruined my completely together life. and i now go to work and home praying that everything will get back together. and i can barley remember things from the 4 weeks i was taking this medication, its almost like puzzle peices. but i will tell you this, my chilren were always taken care of. i just didnt take any time to take care of myself to the point i was faint most times til realizing i hadnt eaten in 4 days......and the taste buds, they dont come back, my hair still falls out, its bad. i have bald spots. the blisters i got while n the meds are scars now. its strange and scry. dont take this medication!!!!
My neurologist just put me on 25 mg. Topomax (topamax) twice a day today for right temporal lobe seizure. He said it would help with my occasional migraines as well. He did not mention hair loss. How common is hair loss and how much hair loss are we talking about here? Eager to see if this dose helps with weight loss. I need to shed about 40 lbs. also someone mentioned it helps with sciatic nerve pain and bulging disc? This drug sounds like a miracle cure for so many things. If it addresses all these issues that I am currently experiencing and been just living with for a multitude of years, sounds like I could be walking on cloud nine in a month or so, just hope it won't affect my memory or hair.
Can I ask, do you or did you take your dose at night?
When you are bipolar and in manic mood, you eat.  It is not because we want to eat junk food, or more calories than we want to, it's because we are manic.  Should not judge until you walk in others shoes.
I just started taking Topiramate last Friday. I actually asked my doctor to take me off of Depakote ( I gained 60 lbs) and and requested Topiramate for Mood. The weight loss side effect will be a bonus. I am trying to remain optimism and not look for the negative although I know that there are many possibilities. I am just thankful that I am rid Depakote and on a new path...
I have been taking 100mg of Topomax (topamax) for 3 years. I have had chronic migraines since I was 12 years old, I am now 46. I consider myself lucky, my migraines have cut down to 1 or 2 a month. I haven't really had any of the side effects,except in the first few months when they tried to put me on 200mg. I was like a zombie. Once we got my dosage figured out things have gone pretty good, And I did notice a little weight lose.
I am on Depakote now and have taken it for years and of course I am over weight. The Dr. just put me on Topamax to try and lose weight. I am hoping it battles the Depakote and wins. I take the Depakote as a mood stabilizer.
This is my first post and I just recently worked my way up to my full prescription of topiramate (100mg) to treat migraines that were getting out of control. I had no idea about the weight loss side effect until after I read the instructions and I have to say I am not hungry and have been able to stay on a diet that has worked well for me in the past. I need to lose about 50 lbs.and because heat was my main trigger for migraines exercise was getting very difficult so I have been gaining weight for the past 5 years. So far I have lost 5 lbs. which I think is healthy for 2 weeks. Good luck everyone!
I lost over 100 lbs in 2 years while taking this medication (for Bi=polar) as well as Wellbuturon  for depression and klonipin (klonopin) for anxiety/sleep issues related to Fibromyalgia.  I started to develop allergic reactions (after about 2 years) ie bleeding gums, inflamed eyes etc. and had to stop.  Gained all the weight back over the next 2 years.  During the time I was losing weight, I ate when I wanted and what I wanted.

If I could keep taking the meds I would.  Best I ever felt and looked.
I have taken Topiramate for 10 months beginning at 50mg,and then slowly titrated up to 300mg for severe degenerated disk disease in my L-4,5 & S-1.
My experience with this drug has been a rough road as far as side effects go. The tingling and numbness in my extremities is severe. The metallic taste in my mouth as well as the change of taste food and drinks have from the drug is horrible. The loss of words and the blank mind is embarrassing! I feel as if I am in a fog all the time. I'm tired constantly. I have lost 20 pounds. I am on the verge of going under a healthy BMI. I have to force myself to eat. I run, spin and cycle, and it's all I can do to have the energy to workout now. This is my only stress relief in life!

The good news is... I am almost pain free!

Everything I mentioned above is worth it as long as I can stay at a healthy BMI. I'm going to my spine doctor Sept. 9th. We'll see if he can give me advice on how to do that.
so you were taking 300mg daily???
People like you are the reason why people take take medications to lose weight. It is so hard to lose weight just be eating right and excersing and to fit  in to todays society you have a certain type of body figure. I bet you've never really had a struggle with your weight. I'm not talking about how your hips may look a little bigger one day buy having to work your *** off everyday just so you can feel like you're worth something. Like one day you might actually be able to fit into those skinny jeans but no matter how hard you try you gain all that weight back at the end of the week. So if you're not risking your life then so what? You're doing something for yourself trying to get back your confidence, health, your life. Like we all haven't cheated from time to time. So ktbuggg please go shove that comment up your ***
Do you not worry that your confusion is embarrassing. ? I suffer from migraines and am on topiramate 5omgs am, pm. I have decided tonight to stop it. I am sick of my colleagues waiting for me to try to explain myself as ever since I have taken this medication (1.5 years) my thought processes are slow. I am tired,have put on weight and I don't think its worth it. I had not realised until I came across this site how lethal this drug was and I do not feel I made an informes decision when starting it. All drugs have side effects,but these are particularly severe.
I started taking Topomax (topamax) in late June for migraines.  In one month, the number of migraines had reduced exponentially.  2 months later, I noticed that my appetite had reduced significantly (by this time I was up to 100mg/da - 50mg 2x/day).  3 and a half months later and I have lost 15 pounds.  I have no desire to snack and yes, soda and other foods I used to crave, I no longer do.  I recently took a  trip and put a chocolate bar in my bag for the flight.  It was still in my purse when I returned home!  I know the Topomax (topamax) affects everyone differently but I am happy with how it is working so far.  
The hairloss can be helped by taking minerals hth
I have been taking the generic form of Topamax, Topiramate, for about 7 weeks now and this is my 2nd go around of it.  I tried it about 7 years ago and it made me crazy nuts with mood swings so bad I couldn't take it.  this time around it did the same thing but I stuck it out... I think with this medication it really has to level out in your system. I am under the care of a Neurologist this time around.  I have had migraines for 25+ years and I just had to do something.  I have CDH with migraines so I have a headache nearly everyday of my life.  It's not fun.  This month of October I have had only 3 headaches!  It is a miracle!! I have had one borderline migraine actually it probably was a migraine but not a full blown out one so I'm just going to call it a bad headache even though I did get an Ora.  Oh well.  I am on 100mg of the medication and I think in November he is going to up my dosage to 150.  I have not lost alot of weight but I have noticed the emotional eating has subsided.  The cravings have stopped that I once had before.  the NEEED to EAT is not there... some of you know what I'm talking about.  I sleep like a ROCK and I don't wake up with a headache everyday anymore.  I have tingly fingertips and feet now and then but that is even leveling off as well.  The mental confusion is what drove me nuts the first few weeks on this medication.  I am an accountant and you can't be confused when you are looking at financial statements!  I should have taken a two week vacation or something!  LOL  All in all I'm happy thus far with how this medication is working for me.  It's only been 7 weeks so I'm hoping it will be a good preventative for me!  Good Luck to all!
I was on 200mg topamax for PTSD almost 2 years, unfortunately I had no weight loss from it. however one of the worst side effects and the reason I stopped taking it was the feeling like your brain turned to mush. constantly i'd forget what I was about to say, sometimes mid-sentence.. i'd also not be able to think of specific words.. It was really frustrating. ALSO, after having perfect vision my whole life, my eyes would blur when holding focus on my phone, crocheting, cross stitching, reading, etc. Unfortunately those things haven't improved  since I discontinued taking Topamax. I never had migraines before taking it, but since I stopped I've had the worst, most painful headaches, to the point of  fainting from the pain. I wouldn't recommend this medicine to my worst enemy.
I've been on 100mg of topiramate for a year now for chronic neuropathic pain and have lost 6st in weight with no effort at all. I've experienced some hair loss but as I have thick, dark, curly, hair from the Irish side of my family, I've not been too badly affected.
I suffered from aphasia, memory loss and time lapses for 3-4 weeks after hitting 100mg but it lessened over time and wore off after about a month. It's very good for my pain and I've been able to reduce my morphine intake by 50%. I go to a chronic pain clinic and speak to many people using this drug and don't know of anyone who has not lost weight using this drug, in fact, it's currently in trials as a weight loss drug in the UK. I hope this helps.
I have suffered from migraines for over 30 years, and I do mean suffered. I have gone through every possible test, and been given every possible medication. I actually offered to kiss the feet of the inventors of the triptan class of drugs when they came out, prior to that the only thing that had the slightest chance of working was 2 aspirin, 2 tylenol, 2 cups of coffee, and hiding in a dark place...I called it the 2/2/2 method. What a way to live. As menopause hit and my hormones went haywire, the migraines became even more unpredictable and less likely to respond to triptans. Nothing worked, including Depakote, which caused massive weight gain. I was suffering from "status" migraines that could last as long as 5 days with almost no relief. When I was put on Topamax I thought "Oh, Yeay, another drug that won't help." I was wrong, thank goodness. I still have 2-3 migraines per week, but they generally respond to triptans and do not recur, and rarely become "status" type. I started on 25 mg. daily, titrated up to twice daily, and have reached a dose of 150 mg daily total. My side effects include "pins and needles" to the feet, the often mentioned flat taste of carbonated beverages (and I do love club soda), weight loss due to decreased appetite and feeling a fullness ( a good thing in my case as medications, menopause, and chronic pain combined have caused a vicious cycle of weight gain, so far only about 15 lbs. in 3 months but I am fine with slower weight loss), and needing a nap in the middle of the day. I didn't notice more brain fog than usual, but with the menopause I already can't remember a lot of things lol. My most annoying side effect to date has been a constant feeling that something is caught at the back of my throat, causing me to clear it a lot and feel like spitting. Nothing seems to help. I asked my neurologist if this could be an EPS type symptom and if cogentin might help (he never did give me an answer, but his office called and prescribed the cogentin... so I guess we will see if that decreases the symptom. I started taking that today.) I wondered if anyone else has had this particular side effect? Overall, I feel that for me the gain has outweighed the side effects so far.
I am on 300mg for epilepsy, I have been on it for 3years and no weightloss.. Must be bad jeans... Lol
i was just prescribed the same combo for weight loss did it work????
I have Bi Polar and am on 1200 mg Trileptal and 150mg of Pristique. I also take an occasional Xanix at night. I hate taking pills as I'm sure the majority of you do if you had your choice. people that have never been diagnosed with any medical or psychological condition are very fortunate. I was diagnosed with Behc'ets right before the Bi Polar diagnosis. It is in the Lupus family.

I've spent some time reading these posts. I just started taking 2 25mg  Toprimate at night 2 days ago so not much to report yet. However, I did turn down pie for our work dinner today which is unheard of, lol! I need to lose 50 lbs so I am hoping this will help. A side effect of the Bi Polar & the Behc'ets is depression. and leave it to me to eat my emotions!!!!! I don't eat one I eat ALL!!!! Good Luck to you all. I will definitely write more later & keep you posted! Kathy ***@****
Im 10 years old and ive been on topamax for a year and a half now at first i weighed 72 pounds then after about being on 50 miligrams of it for about three weeks i went from 72 to 65 pounds i had to go and buy new clothes and everthing it was kinda sad because after that i was the smalleast one in my class and people kinda teased me about it so yeah my opinion

I had all of the same problems you have experienced while on this med.  I was 235 lbs when I started Topiramate Feb/12. At my lightest in May/13 I weighed 150 lbs then I had to discontinue the medication because of the worsening side effects. After being off the medication for three months the migraines came back with a vengeance and some of the weight by 20 lbs. Now I've had to restart the Topiramate because the migraines are so debilitating.
When you start a drug like Topamax it would most likely be a taper (step by step). Everyone's body reacts differently to all kinds of medicines therefore your doctor should give you directions on how to take it. Normally you'd start with the lowest dose for a week then it's increased by the same low dose until you reach the desired strength prescribed by your doctor. This med is actually an anticonvulsant in which can be used for migraines. Weightloss and/or decrease in appetite is actually a side effect. As far as it messing with your cycle, think of when you're on birth control and you have to take an antibiotic... They say to take extra precautions because your pill can fail. Doses up to 200mg can make your cycle to be irregular and you may notice some spotting between periods. people get excited about the weight loss effect, you should never take any medicines that require a prescription without consulting with your doctor for your safety. Don't forget... The pharmacists at your local pharmacy are just as helpful as your doctor with any questions and are more readily available. Everyone losing weight... Good job and good luck! Wish you all the best!
I've been on 300 mg Topamax (brand not generic) for over four years, and it has been my saviour in terms of migraine headaches.  I went from four to six per month to less than four per year, until November of 2013, when I had five and another three in December.  I've had a migraine since December 26, and I've only had it break once, following a script for Percocet.  Opioids are typically successful as breakthrough medicines.  My physician claims my recent migraines are due to barometric pressure changes, which at this point I am unwilling to accept.  How much and for how long does the barometric pressure change in Northern Idaho?  I wanted to see if anyone takes a higher dose than 300 mg, but clearly I'm on the highest dose in this community.  To contribute to the thread, I've had few long-term side effects.  Hair loss initially, but my hair is thick again; I have very thick, wavy hair. I never had the "dope-a-max" effect. I lost weight, 35 pounds initially, and recently another 10.  I'm uncertain what the issue is with the weight loss.  I simply have little interest in food, which has become increasingly amplified.  Does anyone take an adjunct to Topamax/Topiramate as a preventative measure?  I have tried many different medicines, i.e. the -triptyline class, beta blockers, imitrix, maxalt, etc. with no success. I was forced to go to the urgent care clinic migraine before last, and the clinician indicated he could do little for me. He suggested the ER.  It is rather disconcerting when a medical clinician feels there is nothing he can contribute to a patient's care and recommends the ER.  I went home.  Thanks in advance for any advice from fellow migraine sufferers.
Hooray for you!  I am 5' 5 1/2".  I weighed between 100 and 110 lbs my entire life.  I weighed 137 lbs. 3 days before I gave birth to my daughter 34 yrs ago!       I was a one meal a day girl my entire life.  Never had much of an appetite. I'm 61 now.  14 yrs ago, I was put on high dose of steroids for 3 months due to a severe injury that put me into a wheelchair for 4 months.  I blew up to 180 lbs!  I was devastated as I also used to model.  I was on topomax (topamax) about 10 yrs ago and lost my appetite altogether.  I finally got down to 148 lbs.  Still not what I wanted but I felt great.  Had to get off of the topomax (topamax) for a few reasons.  Eventually gaining back all of the weight!  I am now back on it and plan to take it until I can get to 150ish.  Then I'll figure out a plan.  With the extra weight on my small frame (small boned) I am in constant pain because of the weight and I have knee and feet problems.  Exercising is out of the question for now!  I'll have a better handle on this once I drop some weight.  The ONLY reason that I am taking it now is to lose some eight!  Anyone who has a negative ything to say about ANYONE, no matter what the reason, I wish bad karma for them.
Good luck to you.  I was given topamax for severe back pain. It really helped.  Nothing else did.  Including Lyrica.  I had every test imaginable with negative results and the pain was debilitating.  It is now contolled with topamax and the occasional pain killer. Bonus:  I lost 80 lbs.  I feel like a new woman
I just started back up the Topamax. I am a 51 year old man that is 6'4" tall. When I first started Topamax I immediately started at 50mg twice per day. No one told me to titrate up to that dose. I had strange thoughts, could see myself looking at myself like looking at another person, hallucinated that I had a small elephant in my house and cried at the drop of a hat. After about a month the side effects started to go away but the weight loss started. I lost 60 pounds in 40 days without skipping meals. I found out that 16% of people using it will lose weight. The drug can change the acid materials in the digestive tract for some, allowing the person to not make full digestive use of the consumed food. It also will reduce the chemical in your brain that tells you your hungry and to eat. I forced myself to eat and was consuming 5000 calories per day to try to keep myself from losing weight. I still was losing. When my intermittent blurry vision started to be a problem, my neurologist wanted me off the drug for a while to make sure it wasn't from the drug and not my MS. I have been off it for 6 months and gained 25 pounds since. I just got back on it a few days ago since it was determined that the MS was the cause of my vision issues. I have severe nueropathy pain in my left leg so that is what I take it for. I will be at 50mg twice per day. This is a dangerous drug that either is a life saver for a person or a nightmare. There doesn't seem to be any reaction in between.
For migraines I just started the topamax . When I get a migraine I take Relpaks. But recently my neurologist added a prescribed powder medication called Cambia. You dissolve in an ounce of water and take it with the Relpaks. It gives the Repaks a boost so that it works faster.
I am currently on 200mg twice daily for prevention of migraines but I have never experienced any weight loss in all the years I have tried or been on Topamax.

scrimm
Hey everyone I was on 100 mg 50 in morning 50 at night and 100 mg of Lamictal in the morning and 100 mg at night that combination worked perfect for me when i was roughly 23. I lost 45lbs in 5 months and felt the need to work out about 2 hours a day and ate roughly 1500 calories a day I was doing the right stuff my taste buds definitely changed throughout the experience I messed up the L3 and L4 before that and then recently( i am now 29) I now have a herniated disc I had surgery on my back. But 2 years prior I had gastric bypass now any who I stopped taking my meds for bipolar right and was put back on the mix i mentioned above. From the gastric bypass I went from 240lbs to what I am now at  29 years old 174 and the medication I have been on it for about 9 months does nothing now. I am also on Qsymia which is a weight loss pill that has Phentermine and Topomax (topamax) in it and it is Doctor approved you can only get it from the doctor so any who sometimes you just can't win with these pills for weight loss but it does help as far as the bipolar. But today the doctor added Seroquel I am hoping it doesn't make me gain and that the 2 weight loss meds cancel this out. I hope for the best. But anyone let me know if they have dealt with Seroquel its only 50 mg. Thanks have a good one all!
heya,

i take 25mg of toprimate each night for migraine prevention. when i began taking it around three months ago i was 110lbs which at 5''8 is very slim and i think may be considered underweight i don't know. now after three months of just the 25mg i am 97lbs?! i read an article a while back (can't find the link, sorry) that mentioned the weightloss and appetite suppressing effects of toprimate were felt much more by those who were already fairly slim. does anybody else have any experience with this?
Hi everyone

I just starting taking 2 pills of 25 mg of  topamax last month for migraines. After two weeks, I got a huge migraine and called my doctor and she told me to just take one pill in the morning and two at night. I don't feel that even the three pills are doing the best job. I still get slight migraines. Since I've been on topamax I've noticed a change in taste and I also get a numbness in my hand. Is that something I be concerned about ?
you are obnoxiously argumentative and condescending.  what, were you laid off from the comic book store or something? I hope since these posts you've found a hobby other than listening to yourself "talk."
I wanted to tell you about my experience with Topamax and get your feedback.  I went on Topamax about five or six years ago for chronic migraines.  I was having headaches practically every day, all day.  Sometimes I didn't even notice that I had a headache, but I was just in a terrible mood, and didn't know why.  Then I would step back and try to assess why I was in such a bad mood, and it was because I had a headache...again!  I was just so used to it, I became immune to recognizing them when I had them.  My doctor put me on Topamax.  It was a miracle drug for me!  I experienced all the side effects (except hair loss): tingling, though not too much, fogginess, loss of concentrations/words, etc.  But they all went away pretty quickly. Gratefully, my headaches were gone!  I felt great!  I could even read a magazine in the car as a passenger, something I was never able to do.  This was an added bonus!  I was at 100mg/day, after titrating up.  Weight loss was the extra added bonus, as I admit, I did need to lose some weight.  I lost about 15-20 lbs, than hit a plateau, which was fine, because I was than at a  good weight for my frame.  After being on Topamax for so many years, I went off of it, simply because I put the idea in my own head that you shouldn't be on a drug for so long.  I went off the drug on my own accord, and since, my headaches have come back, and I have gained all the weight back.  I have been off Topamax for probably about 10 months total.  I just started back on Topamax about two weeks ago, hoping for the same results, but I am skeptical.  First and foremost, I want my headaches to go away, but I also would love to lose the weight again.  I don't feel like myself anymore.  I'm embarrassed about my weight, and don't have the confidence that I used to have.  Believe me, I definitely have gone through the ringer with trying to eat healthy and exercise, but nothing is really working, and my self-esteem is shot.  I've read that taking Topamax the second time around doesn't always  help with weight loss, but getting good input on this topic has been spotty.  Can anyone give me their experiences with taking it the second time around?
Thanks so much!
Wow, you just joined Medhelp this month and your first and only post is a poorly laid out personal attack. This would lead me to believe that you take no issue with the actual content I've posted it's just that you don't care for my delivery. That's more of a "you" problem than a "me" problem.

I also don't see the connection between a medication PI sheet and Batman. Can the guy at your local comic store explain what the term half-life actually means? The guy at mine can't. Although he can go on at great length about Silver Surfer...

If you'd like to match wits I'm always game. Just be sure to gather yours first.
Just started topiramate 2/24/14 for migraine headaches. After several attempts on other types of medications. What I have noticed thus far us my migraines are gone, I am thirsty all the time, and frequently need to use the bathroom, especially in the middle of the night.  Another benefit Ihave noticed is my back pain has gone from a daily 6 to an awesome 2. I have severe disc degenerative disease,  2 surgeries later,the first I fractured my spine, ruptured a disc and herniated another. I've read a lot of these post and also did some reading about topamax and it's side affects.  I'm an avid reader I do so every day. Also I've always been the type to think a few moments before I speak. So at this point some of these other side affects have yet to apply to me. On the other hand I'm just beginning the Dr. instructions 25mg 1st wk ,50mg 2nd wk 1x in the am an the next at bedtime. Then 3rd wk 50mg in the am and 25mg at bedtime. Hope things stay steady because I really like that my migraines are gone and my back pain is tolerable which hasn't happened since my accident in 2001.
Just wanted to pop in and say some of us who are taking Topomax (topamax) are on it for nerve pain.  RSD in my case.......if you are not familiar with it, look it up.  It is at the top of the McGill Pain chart above cancer pain, getting a finger cut off without sedation, so not all of us can "exercise" like we want to.........if a side effect is weight loss due to curbing the appetite, great!  That's a plus for some who have to spend more time at a young age with a disease they didn't ask for going from totally active to being disabled/much less active......which will cause weight gain and atrophy.  So don't make your statements to the entire community telling people that its the lazy way out when you don't know the whole communities reasons for taking it.  That is a selfish way to think.  No one wants a chronic disease, no one wants to be less active and not be able to function the way they use to and no one wants to gain weight due to all of this..............and I'm sure no one wants to lose their hair, glaucoma, etc  that this med can cause.  Weighing the pros and cons of each med and their side effects.......some times we have no choice.  With that said, it'd be my luck to lose my hair than lose my weight and I've always been a size 7/8 since HS.  Now I'm in size 10 and bloated, constipated from another med on my wonderful flipping list of pills I HAVE to take just to function every day........my functioning means, showering, being able to use my right hand to wash my hair, drive, etc.  Enough said.
I just started taking phentermine and topamax a week and a half ago. I am experiencing the unpleasant side effects of being foggy, a little jittery, bad taste in my mouth, slight head ache, etc. Do these seem to persist for most people? Or do they subside with a little more time. Just wondering if my body will adjust. Thanks  OH, about 4 pounds gone!
Wait, so am I the only one who experienced terrible diarrhea everyday that I took Topamax, and became even more distractable than when I was being treated for ADHD?
why would you congratulate someone on unsuccessful unhealthy weight loss
i dont know if its just me but it seems as though there is a lot of attacking going on with a certain someone on this site and not enough focus on the subject!  
I am 50 I have been on Topamax for almost a year. Lost almost 40 pound and my memory as well. I am getting help for the memory stuff. Seeing a neurologist and taking a zillion test. Hope to get help there. 200mg is NOT the therapeutic dose for migraines. Who put you that high? That's seizure dosage. I'm a retired Pharmacy Tech and that's never been prescribed for migraines in that dose since 1990 anyway. I'd get a second opinion, especially with the bad side effects your are experiencing for your age. Get another opinion before something bad happens.
Where have I said that people taking Topamax is the "lazy way out"?

Taking any medication and hoping to not get the actual effect OR any of the many side effects except for the ONE specific side effect that you want doesn't, and will never, make any sense to me.

I've also said that many, if not most, people are not properly informed about the medication when it is prescribed. Most doctors don't mention that your hair could fall out or you could get glaucoma. I know I wasn't. I know many other people that weren't. I think that people deserve to get the info so I post it. I didn't lose weight but I sure lost a ton of hair. I had to go look up side effects in the Topamax PI sheet online. The Topamax also gave me nystagmus; another thing that I figured out when I read the PI sheet.

You're taking Topa in order to get the effects of the medication. If you happen to get a nice side effect then that's great. I've never posted anything negative about people that are taking it in order to get the actual effects of the med. In my posts here I've helped specific people with their questions and tried to refer folks to places that can give them the assistance/information that they need. - The issue comes with the people that are taking it and hoping to NOT get the effect of the med and to NOT get any of the bad side effects but TO get the one side effect that appeals to them. - In what world does that make sense?
Yes, the side effects should subside within the next week or so. The headache may ease up some if you try eating bananas and drinking some gatorade. A lot of people have a hard time adjusting to the way their body is now processing vitamins/minerals so doing things like the bananas and gaorade can help. If you don't normally take a multivitamin you might want to start now. The fogginess should also start to fade out in a week or three. Lots of folks get it hence the nicknames "dopamax" and "stupamax". There's no way to tell if the fog is going to stick around or not until more time has passed.

The bad taste may be partially due to a dry mouth - you can try using Biotene toothpaste, the gum is pretty good too. You can try hard candies as well. Another thing that really helped me were those little disposable no-water-needed toothbrushes, they come with a few per packet and you can keep them in your purse or car.
Nope, you're not the only one. Topa can cause diarrhea or constipation. Usually it's the second but it can definitely cause the diarrhea.

The distractibility is one of the side effects. It can range from being easily distracted all the way up to not being able to remember much of anything. I had word finding issues and was constantly gesturing to try and get the word meaning across because I couldn't remember the word. And I mean looking up at the sky and saying that it's a beautiful shade of..... um... that color... you know, like for baby boys...  
I was being snarky.

Although I do have to say that I find it interesting you chose to comment on only the last 10 words of that post. You didn't comment on the rest of the post (almost 200 words) where I explained what the effects of losing weight too quickly can be. So in that post what I wrote was about 95% solid medical information and about 5% snark.

If you're so terribly offended by that 5% that you missed the 95% then I don't know what to tell you.
I completely understand where you're coming from.... .but don't waste your time on someone who doesn't.... they aren't worth your time.  How have things been going for you?
This drug was not given to me just to lose weight quickly .... my body was in a dire situation I couldn't even raise my arms ....5 days in I can move without hurting .... it is a start ... next time you are gonna comment on a post you might want to look up the word empathy .. jescawiles
When I started off with 25mg for one well then moved to 50 mg for 3 weeks I ate everything I could but now I'm one 100mg and I'm not Humphrey all the time an  I can not over eat even if I tried my brain won't let I sometime have to force my self to eat just remember  you must always eat never skip eating it's not healthy
Hi I started the off brand of topamax because  I have bipolar and I have gained 50 lbs with other meds I'm 5'2 I am lucky I do Cary very  but I'm sad about it. I started off with 25 mg for a week an  within 3 days I felt great o was a new person never felt like this never  been this  happy I wanted to cry crazy huh then I moves up to 50mg for 3 weeks I had eat everything I'm site so I though ohh no not gain but decided to wait  it out now I'm on 100mg and noticed I'm not as hungrey and mood  at  better an overview never  slept Bette  only side effect is painfully tingle in my feet. But I don't even get the weird pop taste that everyone else is getting pop taste 100% the same to me but I do crave lots an  lots of water
Hi, I was drawn to your post about topirate. I could have wrote this post, I to have suffered with migraine all my adult life and I understand what your mean about triptans. The first time I took a triptan within an hour I was pain free it was like a miracle. I'm now 53 and going through the menopause and my migraines are back at least twice a week and the triptan don't work as well, plus I'm not comfortable taking too many. I can handle all the other thing that go with the menopause but the headaches are just too much. A few years ago when I first started the menopause I was prescribed amytriptyline and they worked well at first but now they've stop being any help. Today the doctor proscribed topirate but after reading all the negative posts on this site I considered not taking it and just thought of riding the menopause storm to the end with no medication at all. Your post has given me hope and what I'd really like to hear is topirate helped you through and you've come out the other side and are now migraine free. I hope to hear from you soon with some good news.
Thank you
I have been doing alot of online research and information gathering about Topiramate.  Not because I was lucky enough to have someone like girrl88 taking time out of her busy day to crusade for me, but because I honestly trusted MY PHARMASIST to adequately warn me of the most dangerous side affects of ths, and for any matter, any drug I take.  That's what they do in this small town I am from...usually.  Unfortunately the Drs. we see are PA s working here a few years so they can get a break on thier student loans.  I began a few days at the begining of your community and I think I have read just about all the posts.  I did get anxious to get to the end to see if it was still going on and to see if girrl88 (which is my lucky nmber) was still here.  I am going to tell you my story trying to keep it as briet as possible, but I am a bit confused on a few issues that I for me are completely different and I am wondering why, so maybe you guys know. First of all been obese all my life, haven't let it keep me from anything, especially happieness, finding out late in lite I could possibly have cushing's disease and will be tested soon.  I, for the first time in my life are not being turned down for health care so I am getting the care I need.  Despite being active and eating a healthy diet I struggle.  How I came about Topamax.  I am a caregiver.  I take care of a woman who struggles with alcohol.  Her Dr. at mental health prescribed her a low dose of topamax, 25 mg a day to help decrease her desire for alcool.  She takes it, it helps her, she is also bipolar, she says she isn't sure if she notices anything different with that, but she weighed probably 145 and within a few months she was down to 125 and thrilled.  At her appointment the Dr. said that was a side effect.  She hadn't really noticed any big changes in eating.  Maybe less Vodka but she really doesn't drink much.  I didn't see anyone else mention taking it for alcohol..  My PA was leaving, as he was going I mentioned Topomax (topamax) to him and weight loss.  A couple of weeks later, Jan 15th of this year I got a call from the pharmacy that I had a script to be picked up, I went and got them.  It was Topirimate  200 mg tablets, twice a day. Now, I am one to look at the paper that comes with it, I did, drink plenty of water, may cause dizzyness, blah blah, nothing that stood out to be alarming to me.  So, happy me, I started taking them.  I noticed immediately a huge drop in my hunger pains that I daily struggle to ignore. Really didn't think about food, didn't hink about the pills, didn't think about alcohol, now although I generally don't drink on a steady basis our family is together often and there is always drinking going on.  At this time I was weighing 350 it takes alot of alcohol to even get a buzz. The Topiramate took away my want for alcohol.  Didn't care one bit.  ok, so....the bad news is, all of a sudden I noticed that all around my mouth inside my lips my mouth felt like it was on fire,  I told my husband I can't have any more of those sugar free popsicles, they are tearing up my mouth.  I was also feeling really tired and kinda goofy, I quit eating popsicles and my mouth got worse and I developed this bad, thick, chest cough.  So, I decided to look up toprimate side effects online. Before I go any further, let me say, that was my first month, my new perscription was in and I had been taking the new ones for three days or so and everything started clearing up.  Didn't think too much of it at the time but the first perscription had come from a pharmacy that was not my usual pharmacy.  So things are getting better but OMG.  There are several possible side effects of this particular medication that should be written in red on the bag?  girrrlll88  There is your frontline.  They need to read that on the bag.  By the time they look on here, that pill is gonna be in thier mouth.  OK,,,,,So I didn't see anyone mention this,,,,,different generic manufacturers use different fillers.  What was in that first Topiramate which was mfg by zygenerics. It gave me yellow thrush on my tongue, my mouth tasted like salt.  for three days everything I ate tasted like salt.  good for weightloss and I would have been all for it if I could have brushed my teeth.  girrrlll88  The generic that I take that is working well for me an believe me I am educated and I am watching for the signs, is made by TEV  So here is what is good,  Jan, Feb, Mar, 60 pounds off.  I didn't even see it coming.  It was 42 pounds when I first stepped on.  Of course with people as obese as I am there is always alot of water that comes off in the begining but I alrealy feel SO MUCH BETTER!   OK, so why hasn't anyone told me I should take some of it at night?  I have already made an appointment with my eye doctor.  The thing that freaked me out the most was the carb thing. I do not see this as something I want to take much longer. Although at my age I am finally kind of feeling like I am a bit desperate.  I remember back in the seventies when there was was only me and one other fat chick in town.  :)  I know there are people who believe that the only reason people are fat is because they are lazy and they can't shut thier pie holes.  Not always true people.  We all need to find our own way.  Thank for caring about people like me giirrll88

I think it's weird that there is so much bickering going on in here about what women are choicing to chat about, weight loss or not ? It's a symptom....it's something we are supposed to talk about....good or bad...anyway, that's not my attribute to the conversation.

I just started the generic brand as a mood stabalizer and to help with my four day binge migraine. Not liking the dopie dazes, and I seem to get restless at night. Anxiouty, I'm taking my lorazepam to calm down. From the looks of your posts it's ok to consult a "cut back" to stabalizer my dose with my doctor. I'm currently up to 50 ml in the am and at night 100 ml a day....Thanx, you taught me something important here. Not many have mentioned, that I could see....about being tired all the time...I'm exhausted during the day! I nap....totally not like me...I hate it! Don't get my mini anxiouty rushes at nights confused with restless sleep....I have seen a few of you ladies mention you don't sleep well, I'm sleeping through the night, but I'm tired all day! Thanx ladies for all your sharing, it's very helpful for the newbies! Does anyone have advice for the lethargic???
Viewing 401-595 comments: