Weight Loss Alternatives Community
What dosage of Topamax causes weightloss?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

Viewing 601-618 comments:
I just started back up the Topamax. I am a 51 year old man that is 6'4" tall. When I first started Topamax I immediately started at 50mg twice per day. No one told me to titrate up to that dose. I had strange thoughts, could see myself looking at myself like looking at another person, hallucinated that I had a small elephant in my house and cried at the drop of a hat. After about a month the side effects started to go away but the weight loss started. I lost 60 pounds in 40 days without skipping meals. I found out that 16% of people using it will lose weight. The drug can change the acid materials in the digestive tract for some, allowing the person to not make full digestive use of the consumed food. It also will reduce the chemical in your brain that tells you your hungry and to eat. I forced myself to eat and was consuming 5000 calories per day to try to keep myself from losing weight. I still was losing. When my intermittent blurry vision started to be a problem, my neurologist wanted me off the drug for a while to make sure it wasn't from the drug and not my MS. I have been off it for 6 months and gained 25 pounds since. I just got back on it a few days ago since it was determined that the MS was the cause of my vision issues. I have severe nueropathy pain in my left leg so that is what I take it for. I will be at 50mg twice per day. This is a dangerous drug that either is a life saver for a person or a nightmare. There doesn't seem to be any reaction in between.
For migraines I just started the topamax . When I get a migraine I take Relpaks. But recently my neurologist added a prescribed powder medication called Cambia. You dissolve in an ounce of water and take it with the Relpaks. It gives the Repaks a boost so that it works faster.
I am currently on 200mg twice daily for prevention of migraines but I have never experienced any weight loss in all the years I have tried or been on Topamax.

scrimm
Hey everyone I was on 100 mg 50 in morning 50 at night and 100 mg of Lamictal in the morning and 100 mg at night that combination worked perfect for me when i was roughly 23. I lost 45lbs in 5 months and felt the need to work out about 2 hours a day and ate roughly 1500 calories a day I was doing the right stuff my taste buds definitely changed throughout the experience I messed up the L3 and L4 before that and then recently( i am now 29) I now have a herniated disc I had surgery on my back. But 2 years prior I had gastric bypass now any who I stopped taking my meds for bipolar right and was put back on the mix i mentioned above. From the gastric bypass I went from 240lbs to what I am now at  29 years old 174 and the medication I have been on it for about 9 months does nothing now. I am also on Qsymia which is a weight loss pill that has Phentermine and Topomax (topamax) in it and it is Doctor approved you can only get it from the doctor so any who sometimes you just can't win with these pills for weight loss but it does help as far as the bipolar. But today the doctor added Seroquel I am hoping it doesn't make me gain and that the 2 weight loss meds cancel this out. I hope for the best. But anyone let me know if they have dealt with Seroquel its only 50 mg. Thanks have a good one all!
heya,

i take 25mg of toprimate each night for migraine prevention. when i began taking it around three months ago i was 110lbs which at 5''8 is very slim and i think may be considered underweight i don't know. now after three months of just the 25mg i am 97lbs?! i read an article a while back (can't find the link, sorry) that mentioned the weightloss and appetite suppressing effects of toprimate were felt much more by those who were already fairly slim. does anybody else have any experience with this?
Hi everyone

I just starting taking 2 pills of 25 mg of  topamax last month for migraines. After two weeks, I got a huge migraine and called my doctor and she told me to just take one pill in the morning and two at night. I don't feel that even the three pills are doing the best job. I still get slight migraines. Since I've been on topamax I've noticed a change in taste and I also get a numbness in my hand. Is that something I be concerned about ?
you are obnoxiously argumentative and condescending.  what, were you laid off from the comic book store or something? I hope since these posts you've found a hobby other than listening to yourself "talk."
I wanted to tell you about my experience with Topamax and get your feedback.  I went on Topamax about five or six years ago for chronic migraines.  I was having headaches practically every day, all day.  Sometimes I didn't even notice that I had a headache, but I was just in a terrible mood, and didn't know why.  Then I would step back and try to assess why I was in such a bad mood, and it was because I had a headache...again!  I was just so used to it, I became immune to recognizing them when I had them.  My doctor put me on Topamax.  It was a miracle drug for me!  I experienced all the side effects (except hair loss): tingling, though not too much, fogginess, loss of concentrations/words, etc.  But they all went away pretty quickly. Gratefully, my headaches were gone!  I felt great!  I could even read a magazine in the car as a passenger, something I was never able to do.  This was an added bonus!  I was at 100mg/day, after titrating up.  Weight loss was the extra added bonus, as I admit, I did need to lose some weight.  I lost about 15-20 lbs, than hit a plateau, which was fine, because I was than at a  good weight for my frame.  After being on Topamax for so many years, I went off of it, simply because I put the idea in my own head that you shouldn't be on a drug for so long.  I went off the drug on my own accord, and since, my headaches have come back, and I have gained all the weight back.  I have been off Topamax for probably about 10 months total.  I just started back on Topamax about two weeks ago, hoping for the same results, but I am skeptical.  First and foremost, I want my headaches to go away, but I also would love to lose the weight again.  I don't feel like myself anymore.  I'm embarrassed about my weight, and don't have the confidence that I used to have.  Believe me, I definitely have gone through the ringer with trying to eat healthy and exercise, but nothing is really working, and my self-esteem is shot.  I've read that taking Topamax the second time around doesn't always  help with weight loss, but getting good input on this topic has been spotty.  Can anyone give me their experiences with taking it the second time around?
Thanks so much!
Wow, you just joined Medhelp this month and your first and only post is a poorly laid out personal attack. This would lead me to believe that you take no issue with the actual content I've posted it's just that you don't care for my delivery. That's more of a "you" problem than a "me" problem.

I also don't see the connection between a medication PI sheet and Batman. Can the guy at your local comic store explain what the term half-life actually means? The guy at mine can't. Although he can go on at great length about Silver Surfer...

If you'd like to match wits I'm always game. Just be sure to gather yours first.
Just started topiramate 2/24/14 for migraine headaches. After several attempts on other types of medications. What I have noticed thus far us my migraines are gone, I am thirsty all the time, and frequently need to use the bathroom, especially in the middle of the night.  Another benefit Ihave noticed is my back pain has gone from a daily 6 to an awesome 2. I have severe disc degenerative disease,  2 surgeries later,the first I fractured my spine, ruptured a disc and herniated another. I've read a lot of these post and also did some reading about topamax and it's side affects.  I'm an avid reader I do so every day. Also I've always been the type to think a few moments before I speak. So at this point some of these other side affects have yet to apply to me. On the other hand I'm just beginning the Dr. instructions 25mg 1st wk ,50mg 2nd wk 1x in the am an the next at bedtime. Then 3rd wk 50mg in the am and 25mg at bedtime. Hope things stay steady because I really like that my migraines are gone and my back pain is tolerable which hasn't happened since my accident in 2001.
Just wanted to pop in and say some of us who are taking Topomax (topamax) are on it for nerve pain.  RSD in my case.......if you are not familiar with it, look it up.  It is at the top of the McGill Pain chart above cancer pain, getting a finger cut off without sedation, so not all of us can "exercise" like we want to.........if a side effect is weight loss due to curbing the appetite, great!  That's a plus for some who have to spend more time at a young age with a disease they didn't ask for going from totally active to being disabled/much less active......which will cause weight gain and atrophy.  So don't make your statements to the entire community telling people that its the lazy way out when you don't know the whole communities reasons for taking it.  That is a selfish way to think.  No one wants a chronic disease, no one wants to be less active and not be able to function the way they use to and no one wants to gain weight due to all of this..............and I'm sure no one wants to lose their hair, glaucoma, etc  that this med can cause.  Weighing the pros and cons of each med and their side effects.......some times we have no choice.  With that said, it'd be my luck to lose my hair than lose my weight and I've always been a size 7/8 since HS.  Now I'm in size 10 and bloated, constipated from another med on my wonderful flipping list of pills I HAVE to take just to function every day........my functioning means, showering, being able to use my right hand to wash my hair, drive, etc.  Enough said.
I just started taking phentermine and topamax a week and a half ago. I am experiencing the unpleasant side effects of being foggy, a little jittery, bad taste in my mouth, slight head ache, etc. Do these seem to persist for most people? Or do they subside with a little more time. Just wondering if my body will adjust. Thanks  OH, about 4 pounds gone!
Wait, so am I the only one who experienced terrible diarrhea everyday that I took Topamax, and became even more distractable than when I was being treated for ADHD?
why would you congratulate someone on unsuccessful unhealthy weight loss
i dont know if its just me but it seems as though there is a lot of attacking going on with a certain someone on this site and not enough focus on the subject!  
I am 50 I have been on Topamax for almost a year. Lost almost 40 pound and my memory as well. I am getting help for the memory stuff. Seeing a neurologist and taking a zillion test. Hope to get help there. 200mg is NOT the therapeutic dose for migraines. Who put you that high? That's seizure dosage. I'm a retired Pharmacy Tech and that's never been prescribed for migraines in that dose since 1990 anyway. I'd get a second opinion, especially with the bad side effects your are experiencing for your age. Get another opinion before something bad happens.
Where have I said that people taking Topamax is the "lazy way out"?

Taking any medication and hoping to not get the actual effect OR any of the many side effects except for the ONE specific side effect that you want doesn't, and will never, make any sense to me.

I've also said that many, if not most, people are not properly informed about the medication when it is prescribed. Most doctors don't mention that your hair could fall out or you could get glaucoma. I know I wasn't. I know many other people that weren't. I think that people deserve to get the info so I post it. I didn't lose weight but I sure lost a ton of hair. I had to go look up side effects in the Topamax PI sheet online. The Topamax also gave me nystagmus; another thing that I figured out when I read the PI sheet.

You're taking Topa in order to get the effects of the medication. If you happen to get a nice side effect then that's great. I've never posted anything negative about people that are taking it in order to get the actual effects of the med. In my posts here I've helped specific people with their questions and tried to refer folks to places that can give them the assistance/information that they need. - The issue comes with the people that are taking it and hoping to NOT get the effect of the med and to NOT get any of the bad side effects but TO get the one side effect that appeals to them. - In what world does that make sense?
Yes, the side effects should subside within the next week or so. The headache may ease up some if you try eating bananas and drinking some gatorade. A lot of people have a hard time adjusting to the way their body is now processing vitamins/minerals so doing things like the bananas and gaorade can help. If you don't normally take a multivitamin you might want to start now. The fogginess should also start to fade out in a week or three. Lots of folks get it hence the nicknames "dopamax" and "stupamax". There's no way to tell if the fog is going to stick around or not until more time has passed.

The bad taste may be partially due to a dry mouth - you can try using Biotene toothpaste, the gum is pretty good too. You can try hard candies as well. Another thing that really helped me were those little disposable no-water-needed toothbrushes, they come with a few per packet and you can keep them in your purse or car.
Nope, you're not the only one. Topa can cause diarrhea or constipation. Usually it's the second but it can definitely cause the diarrhea.

The distractibility is one of the side effects. It can range from being easily distracted all the way up to not being able to remember much of anything. I had word finding issues and was constantly gesturing to try and get the word meaning across because I couldn't remember the word. And I mean looking up at the sky and saying that it's a beautiful shade of..... um... that color... you know, like for baby boys...  
I was being snarky.

Although I do have to say that I find it interesting you chose to comment on only the last 10 words of that post. You didn't comment on the rest of the post (almost 200 words) where I explained what the effects of losing weight too quickly can be. So in that post what I wrote was about 95% solid medical information and about 5% snark.

If you're so terribly offended by that 5% that you missed the 95% then I don't know what to tell you.
I completely understand where you're coming from.... .but don't waste your time on someone who doesn't.... they aren't worth your time.  How have things been going for you?
This drug was not given to me just to lose weight quickly .... my body was in a dire situation I couldn't even raise my arms ....5 days in I can move without hurting .... it is a start ... next time you are gonna comment on a post you might want to look up the word empathy .. jescawiles
When I started off with 25mg for one well then moved to 50 mg for 3 weeks I ate everything I could but now I'm one 100mg and I'm not Humphrey all the time an  I can not over eat even if I tried my brain won't let I sometime have to force my self to eat just remember  you must always eat never skip eating it's not healthy
Hi I started the off brand of topamax because  I have bipolar and I have gained 50 lbs with other meds I'm 5'2 I am lucky I do Cary very  but I'm sad about it. I started off with 25 mg for a week an  within 3 days I felt great o was a new person never felt like this never  been this  happy I wanted to cry crazy huh then I moves up to 50mg for 3 weeks I had eat everything I'm site so I though ohh no not gain but decided to wait  it out now I'm on 100mg and noticed I'm not as hungrey and mood  at  better an overview never  slept Bette  only side effect is painfully tingle in my feet. But I don't even get the weird pop taste that everyone else is getting pop taste 100% the same to me but I do crave lots an  lots of water
Hi, I was drawn to your post about topirate. I could have wrote this post, I to have suffered with migraine all my adult life and I understand what your mean about triptans. The first time I took a triptan within an hour I was pain free it was like a miracle. I'm now 53 and going through the menopause and my migraines are back at least twice a week and the triptan don't work as well, plus I'm not comfortable taking too many. I can handle all the other thing that go with the menopause but the headaches are just too much. A few years ago when I first started the menopause I was prescribed amytriptyline and they worked well at first but now they've stop being any help. Today the doctor proscribed topirate but after reading all the negative posts on this site I considered not taking it and just thought of riding the menopause storm to the end with no medication at all. Your post has given me hope and what I'd really like to hear is topirate helped you through and you've come out the other side and are now migraine free. I hope to hear from you soon with some good news.
Thank you
I have been doing alot of online research and information gathering about Topiramate.  Not because I was lucky enough to have someone like girrl88 taking time out of her busy day to crusade for me, but because I honestly trusted MY PHARMASIST to adequately warn me of the most dangerous side affects of ths, and for any matter, any drug I take.  That's what they do in this small town I am from...usually.  Unfortunately the Drs. we see are PA s working here a few years so they can get a break on thier student loans.  I began a few days at the begining of your community and I think I have read just about all the posts.  I did get anxious to get to the end to see if it was still going on and to see if girrl88 (which is my lucky nmber) was still here.  I am going to tell you my story trying to keep it as briet as possible, but I am a bit confused on a few issues that I for me are completely different and I am wondering why, so maybe you guys know. First of all been obese all my life, haven't let it keep me from anything, especially happieness, finding out late in lite I could possibly have cushing's disease and will be tested soon.  I, for the first time in my life are not being turned down for health care so I am getting the care I need.  Despite being active and eating a healthy diet I struggle.  How I came about Topamax.  I am a caregiver.  I take care of a woman who struggles with alcohol.  Her Dr. at mental health prescribed her a low dose of topamax, 25 mg a day to help decrease her desire for alcool.  She takes it, it helps her, she is also bipolar, she says she isn't sure if she notices anything different with that, but she weighed probably 145 and within a few months she was down to 125 and thrilled.  At her appointment the Dr. said that was a side effect.  She hadn't really noticed any big changes in eating.  Maybe less Vodka but she really doesn't drink much.  I didn't see anyone else mention taking it for alcohol..  My PA was leaving, as he was going I mentioned Topomax (topamax) to him and weight loss.  A couple of weeks later, Jan 15th of this year I got a call from the pharmacy that I had a script to be picked up, I went and got them.  It was Topirimate  200 mg tablets, twice a day. Now, I am one to look at the paper that comes with it, I did, drink plenty of water, may cause dizzyness, blah blah, nothing that stood out to be alarming to me.  So, happy me, I started taking them.  I noticed immediately a huge drop in my hunger pains that I daily struggle to ignore. Really didn't think about food, didn't hink about the pills, didn't think about alcohol, now although I generally don't drink on a steady basis our family is together often and there is always drinking going on.  At this time I was weighing 350 it takes alot of alcohol to even get a buzz. The Topiramate took away my want for alcohol.  Didn't care one bit.  ok, so....the bad news is, all of a sudden I noticed that all around my mouth inside my lips my mouth felt like it was on fire,  I told my husband I can't have any more of those sugar free popsicles, they are tearing up my mouth.  I was also feeling really tired and kinda goofy, I quit eating popsicles and my mouth got worse and I developed this bad, thick, chest cough.  So, I decided to look up toprimate side effects online. Before I go any further, let me say, that was my first month, my new perscription was in and I had been taking the new ones for three days or so and everything started clearing up.  Didn't think too much of it at the time but the first perscription had come from a pharmacy that was not my usual pharmacy.  So things are getting better but OMG.  There are several possible side effects of this particular medication that should be written in red on the bag?  girrrlll88  There is your frontline.  They need to read that on the bag.  By the time they look on here, that pill is gonna be in thier mouth.  OK,,,,,So I didn't see anyone mention this,,,,,different generic manufacturers use different fillers.  What was in that first Topiramate which was mfg by zygenerics. It gave me yellow thrush on my tongue, my mouth tasted like salt.  for three days everything I ate tasted like salt.  good for weightloss and I would have been all for it if I could have brushed my teeth.  girrrlll88  The generic that I take that is working well for me an believe me I am educated and I am watching for the signs, is made by TEV  So here is what is good,  Jan, Feb, Mar, 60 pounds off.  I didn't even see it coming.  It was 42 pounds when I first stepped on.  Of course with people as obese as I am there is always alot of water that comes off in the begining but I alrealy feel SO MUCH BETTER!   OK, so why hasn't anyone told me I should take some of it at night?  I have already made an appointment with my eye doctor.  The thing that freaked me out the most was the carb thing. I do not see this as something I want to take much longer. Although at my age I am finally kind of feeling like I am a bit desperate.  I remember back in the seventies when there was was only me and one other fat chick in town.  :)  I know there are people who believe that the only reason people are fat is because they are lazy and they can't shut thier pie holes.  Not always true people.  We all need to find our own way.  Thank for caring about people like me giirrll88

I think it's weird that there is so much bickering going on in here about what women are choicing to chat about, weight loss or not ? It's a symptom....it's something we are supposed to talk about....good or bad...anyway, that's not my attribute to the conversation.

I just started the generic brand as a mood stabalizer and to help with my four day binge migraine. Not liking the dopie dazes, and I seem to get restless at night. Anxiouty, I'm taking my lorazepam to calm down. From the looks of your posts it's ok to consult a "cut back" to stabalizer my dose with my doctor. I'm currently up to 50 ml in the am and at night 100 ml a day....Thanx, you taught me something important here. Not many have mentioned, that I could see....about being tired all the time...I'm exhausted during the day! I nap....totally not like me...I hate it! Don't get my mini anxiouty rushes at nights confused with restless sleep....I have seen a few of you ladies mention you don't sleep well, I'm sleeping through the night, but I'm tired all day! Thanx ladies for all your sharing, it's very helpful for the newbies! Does anyone have advice for the lethargic???
I just started the generic form of Topamax is one of the side effects itching because I itch all over I finally got over the tingling in the hands and feet I am at my target dose which is 200mg I dont have any other side effects accept losing weight I have lost 10 pounds I hope I continue to lose weight I need to my head aches are gone which I am grateful I have been on Topamax for a little over three weeks and have had only one head ache since I have been on it
I want to start off my saying that I am obese and have been most of my life. My highest weight was 365 and that was in August of 2012. My doctor has had me on different things before, most over the counter stuff. Things would work a little than I would gain it all back. But Topamax has worked for me. Started at and am still at 200mg. It is a slow process. But I think thats a healthy way to lose weight. If you lose it fast it just comes back on fast. Ive lost 75 pounds since Aug 2012. I am still obese and lately, about the last three months or so, I havent lose anything. So Im going to talk with my doctor and she if will up my dose to maybe 250mg.

Topamax just makes you not care about food anymore. And food was my everything before. Also it makes certain things taste bad, like soda, bleh. But its a good thing, you shouldnt drink that junk anyway.

Hopefully this is encouraging for some people. Just give it time and the weight does come off. Also apparently some people lose hair? I did not lose any.
I just started on 15mg of topomax (topamax) April 22nd. I am supposed to increase to 30mg as of the 29th of this month but after reading these posts I just want to stop this medication. I was prescribed this for exersion headaches. The Neurologist mentioned possible side effects such as tingling hands and feet and kidney stones but NEVER mentioned the consequences of coming off this medication... Quite frankly scaring the crap out of me reading all this stuff. Now I don't even know if I should stop it now.... I currumbaa!
I just started 2 weeks ago taking 25mg at night the 1st week and now 25mg twice a day. I was prescribed topomax (topamax) for migraines and weight loss. I totally felt the same way you did!  I was super scared to take it after reading all of the possibly side effects. I felt the same way when the dr. Prescribed me Wellbutrin for seasonal effective disorder after reading all the possibly bad side effects for that too. But, I broke down and finally took the Wellbutrin and it worked wonders! So, I talked myself into trying the topomax (topamax) hoping for the same results. Fingers crossed!
So far all I've had is the tingling in the hands and feet. I've lost 3lbs and soda and beer taste flat. Which kinda ***** cause I like a cold beer on a hot summer day. I'll keep you posted on my progress. If you stay on it, will you keep me posted too?
I am kinda of nervous too from taking this medication after reading all these post.. I just started my first 25mg today for weight lost . A little nervous and paranoid..Dr started me on 25mg suppose to increase to 2 at bedtime ..but I'm super nervous bout the side effects as confusion memory loss. How long does these side effects suppose to last?
My daughter has just started taking Topamax for her Headaches not for weight loss she has Seizures  but she is having soreness in her rib area and wondering if anyone else has had this issue it is not listed just wondering if possiable ..
I too just started topomax (topamax). 25mg after each meal, 3 times a day, I'm suffering from extreme bloating and stomach nausea. Anyone else with these side effects. Good luck.
This is week 4 for me. Only side effects I'm having are the pins and needles feeling in my hands and feet. I read in one of the other post to eat bananas and it helps. I started that a week ago, and it actually did. So if u get that side effect try eating a banana. I'm still at 50 mg only down 8 ponds. So my Dr. Upped me to 75mg for 1 week, then 100mg after that. I haven't been paranoid, or confused nor have I had any memory problems. But, I've heard some of those symptoms might happen at a higher dosage. I'll keep u posted on my progress now that I'm upping my dosage.
I have taken Wellbutrin for13 years my 8 years with no problem.  I went to a pharmacy they sold me my generic Wellbutrin manufactured by teva I was sick depression worse couldn't get off the couch. New something was different I found out that they changed manufactures I went back and had them find me some of what I had been taken till I could get to the bottom of what was going on! I have just had a similar problem with Wellbutrin manufactured by venture.ended up in hospital same as above severely debressed couldn't snap out of it till they started me on new manufactiure
I was on Topamax for nine years for migraines. My dosage was 100 mg twice a day. Initially it reduced my migraines from 10-15 per month to 3-5 per month. I lost about 15 lbs initially. Over the years my weight fluctuated but I was able to stay around 150lbs. Side effects was memory lost and tingling in feet/fingers. I went off Topamax about three weeks ago because I was losing my hair and unbearable ITCHING!  Now the itching has subsided but in three weeks, I've gained 10lbs. I should mention that I am 57 years old and it's hard for me to lose weight.  The weight gain will not stop. If I look at food I gain weight. Headaches seem to be coming back also.
This gives me some hope. I herniated a disc april 2013 after picking up my toddler to put her in a tub, after a year of horrible a nerve pain I finally had a lumbar laminectomy. I felt great. However, not even a month after the surgery I slipped, hard and fell flat on my butt and reinjured my back.

However, I didn't reherniate my disc, I only had a disc bulge. And because I am only 29, the surgeon would not do another surgery telling me I was too young for a fusion, which was the only surgical treatment that could fix the bulge. After getting a 2nd and 3rd opinion, I was told the same thing.

I have gained 30 pounds since then. I have done a round of prednisone, tried gralise (a form of gabapentin), nortriptyline, Lyrica, celebrex, meloxicam, diclofinac, etc. Everything made me gain weight, and nothing helped.

Finally I said, lets try topamax. I was on topamax years ago when I was getting headaches, and I got off topamax after a while because my headaches went away and after I went off the topamax the headaches did not come back. So I have only been on it for a few days now, and knowing that it has helped you with your back pain gives me hope that it will help me with mine!
I've been taking 50 mg of generic topamax for about 4 months as a mood stabilizer and also to hopefully shed off weight. I lost 15 lbs.  which is a good thing since I was weighing 200 lbs from being on other meds. For about two weeks now, I've been on 100 mg it seems like I'm eating, eating eating!  I also weighed myself and and I gained two pound in the last week.  
I was told to give my body time to adjust to the 100 mg, but I'm gaining weight back and I'm wondering if this has happened to others when taking a higher dose of topamax? I thought for sure going up to 100 mg would help me lose some more since I seemed to have stopped losing weight after losing the 15 lbs on the 50 mg.
thanks in advance for any advice.
How long does it take to see weight loss? if any topamax
Actually, I monitored my migraines vs barometric pressure for a year and I have found a HUGE link (I live in MA).  I've had chronic migraine since I was 10 (I'm now over 40) and I've done a bazillion different things.  I started noting pressure changes on a whim years ago when I got a weather station as a gift for Christmas.  When there's a quick change in pressure or the pressure goes below 990mb I feel like my brain is trying to crawl out of my head. 994, I'm okay, 992 I'm starting to feel uncomfortable.  It's a different threshold for everyone. I can always tell when it's started raining during the night, or a vicious thunderstorm is on the way.
My Pain Management Doctor put me onTopamax several years ago for occipital migraines. It was horrible! I ended up with nuropathy in my left arm and the brain fog was so bad I couldn't spell simple words! Then I became completely paranoid! I thought I was going crazy! My migraines did go away and I lost 30 pounds but the side effects were so extream! Please do your homework before taking this medication! My Doctor has it on my allergic list along with morphine and opiates. I wish everyone pain free days and nights!
I too did the same thing. Was on Topamax for years for migraines. It helped but I too thought it wasn't good to be on a drug for so long. I went off and the headaches returned and the weight also has been creeping back.  I have heard the second time on it doesn't result in weight loss. Have you had success? Also, did you have hair loss?
Thanks!
Hi MarLen55 I'm on the topoiramate 50mg: two week before I stared I was no  the 5-bite diet, so  I had a head start. I'm going to stay on the 5-bite and not take the pill everyday I started in may of this year at 197lb,with the 5-bite, and the doctor gave me the topiramate 50mg on the 26th of june , and now  july 2014 and I I'm 168lb .

SO THE TRICK IS TO MAKE YOUR STOMACH SMALL
You are truly refreshing! Your honesty, sense of humor and obvious knowledge of this drug was a joy to read. Kudo's for giving Giirrll88 credit for taking the time to educate us all. Good luck with your weight loss and also for I commend you for being a care giver. As a lung cancer survivor, I know that there is not enough credit given to the care givers..I believe sometimes it is hardest on them!
I only started losing a little weight at 75 mg.
Thank you for being so understanding and kind. I do try to give all the info I can but sometimes my delivery is harsh due to my frustration.

I really appreciate that you took the time to thank me - it's not something that I expected. Many folks want to fight with me over snarky things I've said. They miss the fact that I've basically translated all the physician's prescribing information into normal human language.

I'm not anti-Topamax. I'm not even completely against using Topamax for weight loss. My issues come because most doctors don't explain the pros and cons. When doctors don't tell folks about the possible bad side effects then the patients have no idea what to look out for and that irritates me to no end. Honestly, I feel that it is my duty to give out the information that I have. If I can provide information that helps even one person then I've served my purpose. When I read a post saying that someone tried bananas for the tingling and it worked - well, it just makes me stupidly happy. :)

So again, thank you so much for understanding what I'm trying to do here. You've just make my day!
I have been fighting Migraines for the last 6 years mostly caused from stress from work. When I was dx with Migraines I was taking a sub-lingual pill called Maxalt (this does work) you have to take one tablet and place it under your tongue as you feel a migraine coming on. It will help lessen the pain with the migraine or sometimes will stop it. I had great luck with that medicine. But I wish the manufacture would just change the taste of the pill, its fast dissolve and strong peppermint taste. Sometimes it can cause you to become nausea, I have medicine for that Zofran works great.

I just starting Topamax for my tension headaches. I noticed in the last month that the tension headaches are just as bad as my Migraines. I am currently taking 50 mg.

My question is are you taking any other Migraine medicine with your prescription of Topamax too? If you haven't tried Maxalt, I would try asking your family doctor for a few samples or 30 days to see if the medicine works.
I have been on Topamax for YEARS. After about a year, I was increased to 100 mg. It was at that point that I experienced weight loss. I was trying to lose weight anyway and it became easier and I didn't put it together at first that it was my increased dose. That was about 8 years ago. Fast forward. I gained weight due to LACK OF ENERGY. I am tired all of the time. I moved; changed insurances. I was off my meds for several months. Headaches returned. Finally got insurance. Got meds. Getting back on Topamax did not help my weight loss. I am currently at 300 mg a day (split at 150 2x day).

The only other side effect I have "for sure" is the tingling and I experience that at each time my dose was increased. Otherwise, now it is only when I stand in one place too long, my feet will tingle. But no more luck on the weight loss. I am losing weight now, but it is no thanks to this meds. However, I found this post because I was researching still looking for why I'm tired all the time. Wondering now if it is this medicine ... being on it for so long.
I would like to hear more from you about the 5 bite diet!  I had the gastric bypass 14 years ago and put on Topomax (topamax) 8 years ago for migraines.  I lost 35 lbs and then quit taking the topomax (topamax) cause of cost at the time and gained the weight back.  Now I am back on them and the weight is not coming back off. I need to get the weight back off HELP!!  Can you e-mail me any information that will help me
Viewing 601-618 comments: