What dosage of Topamax causes weightloss?
I just started Topamax.  I'm on 25mg/day and will increase by 25mg/week until I reach 100mg.  I heard the weightloss effect depends on the dose.  So, what dose did everyone here have their success?  And what type of diet/eating plan and exercise plan did you do to help it along?  I'm desperate to lose 40 lbs (half of which I gained on Zoloft-no longer taking).  PLEASE respond if you had any weightloss on this drug, I'm very curious.  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!  :)
You are truly refreshing! Your honesty, sense of humor and obvious knowledge of this drug was a joy to read. Kudo's for giving Giirrll88 credit for taking the time to educate us all. Good luck with your weight loss and also for I commend you for being a care giver. As a lung cancer survivor, I know that there is not enough credit given to the care givers..I believe sometimes it is hardest on them!
I only started losing a little weight at 75 mg.
Thank you for being so understanding and kind. I do try to give all the info I can but sometimes my delivery is harsh due to my frustration.

I really appreciate that you took the time to thank me - it's not something that I expected. Many folks want to fight with me over snarky things I've said. They miss the fact that I've basically translated all the physician's prescribing information into normal human language.

I'm not anti-Topamax. I'm not even completely against using Topamax for weight loss. My issues come because most doctors don't explain the pros and cons. When doctors don't tell folks about the possible bad side effects then the patients have no idea what to look out for and that irritates me to no end. Honestly, I feel that it is my duty to give out the information that I have. If I can provide information that helps even one person then I've served my purpose. When I read a post saying that someone tried bananas for the tingling and it worked - well, it just makes me stupidly happy. :)

So again, thank you so much for understanding what I'm trying to do here. You've just make my day!
I have been fighting Migraines for the last 6 years mostly caused from stress from work. When I was dx with Migraines I was taking a sub-lingual pill called Maxalt (this does work) you have to take one tablet and place it under your tongue as you feel a migraine coming on. It will help lessen the pain with the migraine or sometimes will stop it. I had great luck with that medicine. But I wish the manufacture would just change the taste of the pill, its fast dissolve and strong peppermint taste. Sometimes it can cause you to become nausea, I have medicine for that Zofran works great.

I just starting Topamax for my tension headaches. I noticed in the last month that the tension headaches are just as bad as my Migraines. I am currently taking 50 mg.

My question is are you taking any other Migraine medicine with your prescription of Topamax too? If you haven't tried Maxalt, I would try asking your family doctor for a few samples or 30 days to see if the medicine works.
I have been on Topamax for YEARS. After about a year, I was increased to 100 mg. It was at that point that I experienced weight loss. I was trying to lose weight anyway and it became easier and I didn't put it together at first that it was my increased dose. That was about 8 years ago. Fast forward. I gained weight due to LACK OF ENERGY. I am tired all of the time. I moved; changed insurances. I was off my meds for several months. Headaches returned. Finally got insurance. Got meds. Getting back on Topamax did not help my weight loss. I am currently at 300 mg a day (split at 150 2x day).

The only other side effect I have "for sure" is the tingling and I experience that at each time my dose was increased. Otherwise, now it is only when I stand in one place too long, my feet will tingle. But no more luck on the weight loss. I am losing weight now, but it is no thanks to this meds. However, I found this post because I was researching still looking for why I'm tired all the time. Wondering now if it is this medicine ... being on it for so long.
I would like to hear more from you about the 5 bite diet!  I had the gastric bypass 14 years ago and put on Topomax 8 years ago for migraines.  I lost 35 lbs and then quit taking the topomax cause of cost at the time and gained the weight back.  Now I am back on them and the weight is not coming back off. I need to get the weight back off HELP!!  Can you e-mail me any information that will help me
I have been on Topamax for awhile, none of it was to help with migraines. Mine was prescribed for seizures. The first dose I was on was 100mg twice a day and and I lost 70 pounds. Then I got put on lamcatal which didn't work for me and gained it all back. I am back on Topamax the doctor put me 200mg twice a day but just recently changed it to 100mg in the morning and 200mg at night, since I was taking a total of 400mg before. With the 200mg twice a day I ended up aggressive behavior toward my loved ones which isn't me. Just got dose changed two days ago so haven't noticed any changes yet.
My doctor just put me on Topamax a week ago. He added it on to the Lamictol I take for my Seizures. 50 mg 2x day. I have had the worst bloating, I feel like (and look like) i swallowed a watermellon. I have gained 6lb even though I have totally lost my appetite and have barely eaten anything! have the bad diarrhea and feel dizzy and have shortness of breath! So does anyone know if this only temporary?
I know what u mean,,,I dealt with migraines all my life n I went to a dr n she gave me topamax n it worked great...I took it at night n woke up headache free....but juss like most ppl I didn't know u cud lose weight from it,,I have only been on it for maybe 3 month n lost 30lbs n like some ppl on here I have to force myself to eat but ALSO thirsty for TONS N TONS OF WATER...I use to drink tea but now it is water all the time,,but now I have to go back cause they said I lose weight to fast n they r worried,,but hope everything works for u,,cause they do work on my headaches n it feels good for once to wake up with no headaches,,ooh it's better if u take them at night time cause it works better n ur not as tired during the day when u take them during the day,,hope tht helps u....
I came here to find information about Topamax before I decided if I want to take it for weight loss. In the past I had been successful at losing weight on weight watchers. Over the last five years I have gain 50lbs and nothing I do diet wise has help. I lose about 4-5 Ibs the nothing more. I become so frustrated and embarrassed about my weight. I used to have migraines when I was in my 20's, but I was never prescribed anything for them. I just suffered through them. Taking Tylenol or any such OTC medication even touch the pain, which I'm the rest of you know. I heard about Topamax from a family member that was suffering with migraines. He was losing weight also. So I ask my doctor about trying it for my weight loss. I can't taking any of the approved weight loss medication because I take immunosuppressant drugs that would not absorb correctly if I took the weight loss meds. So I am hoping for success with Topamax.
Hi! I noticed your post was from February and I would love to know if you have lost any weight in the past 6 months. I was on Topamax for 10 years when I tapered off due to myself being afraid of just taking the drug for so long. I am about to start back taking Topamax and although the weight loss alternative is not my reason for taking the medication, it certainly is a plus.  I would love to know  your experience the second time around.

Thank you!!!
I have read a lot of post that have talked about hair loss as a side effect of taking Topamax, but it is not list as a side effect on the list from the pharmacy. I wonder why?
I have been on Topamax two different times and NEVER experienced ANY weight loss from it.  I don't know if I'm just one of the unlucky ones that doesn't get to experience that side effect (I seem to get mostly all of the bad side effects from my medicines though)  My Dr just prescribed it again.  I'm hoping the 3rd time's a charm and I see some weight loss this time, I've gained 30 lbs in the past 6 months or so and can't get even a pound of it off so far by counting calories and eating healthier.  

My slim daughter was prescribed Topamax for migraines and said she lost 10lbs over the course of several months.  She had to stop taking it though because she could think straight on it.  The "Dopamax" effect.  Her migraines came back so a few months later she tried it again and said the 2nd time around she had NO weight loss from it.  Eventually she discontinued it again due to the "stupids"…….
I just started Topamax 100 MG for weight loss from taking and gaining weight from lithium. I haven't experienced any side effects that you all are mentioning. I have lost about a three pounds but was wondering how fast does the weight really come off. I am getting mixed feedback based on everyones posts.
I was given 50mg for weight loss. I have only been taking it for a few weeks and the only side effect I have noticed is carbonated beverages taste flat and have no flavor. Other than nothing, not even weight loss. This was a my "test" dose to see how I did. So my I feel the dr will most likely raise it to 100 mg.
Please keep me informed on your progress maybe we can help each other thru this process.
I am a RN and let's just start by saying you would probably never take Tylenol or any pain reliever if you read the label.  All medication has the potential for side effects.  Medication, if you choose to go that route, is there to relieve your symptoms, and sometimes cure disease.  There are many good drugs out there.  And Kudos to you for doing your homework.  If you suffer from migraine, I hear Topamax is a great product for relief.  It does not come without side-effects, but keep in mind, most medications have them.  Know your body, talk to your doctor, and follow ALL of his/her directions to the letter.  Topamax is prescribed off label for Binge Eating Disorder.  This helps control the number of times per day a binge eater "binges" and also helps with weight loss.  Keep in mind, not all binge eaters are over weight or obese however.  BED is a psychiatric disorder, much like bulimia and anorexia, except there is no purging or laxative use.  If you think you may have an eating disorder, please, please, please see your provider or someone who specializes in eating disorders.  So no judgement on the use of medication for weight loss.  Sometimes people need help to get the weight off and relieve their hips and other joints.  The dosage of Topamax for weight loss is much lower (25 mg x2 per day I do believe), and should only be used for a short period of time.  Pills are not a magic bullet for weight loss.  Some of us have brain chemistry issues contributing to our weight, and may need pharmacological help, but we also need healthy nutrition, exercise, and maybe even counseling.  We have to fix our mind and understand why we over eat.  We can't control our genes per se, but we can control our environment.  My point is, don't be afraid of medication for whatever it is you are afflicted by.  We don't have to suffer.  Whether it's depression, migraines, obesity, restless legs, etc.  But do your homework.  Know your body.  Pay attention.  Listen to your doctor.  Understand their may be repercussions (what percentage of patient in studies actually lost hair, did it come back when discontinuing the medication, and are you willing to lose hair if it happens to you to achieve your goal...no more migraines, lose weight, etc.?).  Topamax has been on the market a long time.  It's a safe product.  You have to do your home work and follow directions.  
Exactly, cause what's good for one isn't necessarily good for another, everyone's body reacts in it's own way to every medication. So definitely do your homework, speak with your Dr and work out a plan for your condition.
I've been on lortab for my back as well as ambien and Xanax. My new Dr. wants my to try Topamax as he feels have depression. I'm extremely unhappy having moved to the deep south. I gained 45 pounds while living here and barely leaving the house. So he's changed me to the Ambien CR and added Topamax and is wanting me of the lortab. I am off them but boy what an awful feeling, diarrhea, weakness, etc. When I looked up on the comp. it said Topamax for seizures and migraines. Well, I've never had either of those. He also said I wasn't to worry about coming off the lortab as Panicking me thought I would have the seizures then.
He is adamant that I use the Topamax as a mood stabilizer just 25 2x a day. And says that I should start losing the weight I gained while being constipated on the lortabs for so long.
So I guess I'm asking your expert advice on the Topamax. Should I not be terrified to start them at this low dose. And just let the lortabs go as Dr's don't really like to see me on them. I don't mind I just want to start feeling better. I do have these herniated discs that he said when I lose the weight  my back will feel better. I think I use the lortab as a crutch to dull my entire experience of living down here. Probably the wrong idea. The Dr. seems positive that the Topamax would help with the depression. He doesn't want me on Wellbutrin or any of the stimulants as by nature I am extremely hyper and I would go nuts on any of these. It's really so weird any time I get out of this area I lose weight, feel happy. And bla bla. People say "Oh you'll bring your troubles with you" Well I've lived all over the country and Canada and only here do I suffer with the culture shock. Am trying to move again, but my Mother livers her and is 84, so it is posing a challenge.
Oh God, I'm really sorry about all of this rambling. Again. I just wanted to hear what you say about the Topamax being helpful for elevating my mood. As he just seems so sure it will help. He's a surgeon not a primary, so I've been trying to be confident with this. Okay, I'll stop here. If you can make any sense of my post your opinion would be most appreciated, Thank you for your help.
I just started topamax but feeling really foggy and dizzy also sick to my stomach is this normal I have only ben on it for about 3 days
I have been on topiramate since the age of 14 for epilepsy.
(10 years).

I suffer with nearly all of the major side effects described and I'm considering coming off, but I'm TERRIFIED of gaining weight.

Before I was on topiramate I was on carbamezaphine and I was a lot larger than I am today.

I already suffered with the onset of an eating disorder and there is some debate as to whether my eating disorder triggered my epilepsy.

The topiramate definitely made my eating disorder worse, and in turn both my mental and physical health have declined.

I would never think of going on this drug unless there were no other alternatives.
Yes it has controlled my epilepsy, but actually everything else is much worse.
There are other ways to lose weight.

Side effects I have:

- Appetite loss
- Weight loss (including hospitalisation on a number of occasions for anorexia nervosa)
- Numbness
- Concentration and memory deterioration
- Inability to focus on one activity
- Blurred vision
- Depression
- mood swings
Hi I noticed u mentioned u were a retied pt & thought & may be able to recommend whether im dosing myself wrong or not. I had a rx on file for Topamax from a year ago when i had insurance, i lost my insurance & now have my insurance again. so I filled it. its 50mg. have been taking it for 7 days now. It just dawned on me that you start out taking a lower dose & increase over the weeks. should I stop the 50's split them to 25's & do that for a week? then go to 50 a day? then back to 100 a day where I am now?
or call my current dr, this was a dr from a year ago w my previous insurance. was hoping u may have som input.
I took Topomax a few years ago for migraines due to overuse of Tylenol taken after an accident.  

Definitely split the pills and start at 25mg for a week then 50mg for a week then up to 100mg. More importantly, it is a very addictive drug so, when you decide to go off the medication taper down by 25mg every 2 weeks otherwise it can lead to severe depression/suicide.

I don't recall if I lost any weight.  The migraines definitely stopped.  My one side effect was that I didn't sweat...so if you do any strenuous exercise or are in a hot climate drink lots of cool water so you don't over heat.  When I was totally weaned of Tylenol I waited a couple months and then started weaning myself off Topamax.  I stopped taking it because, like others mentioned, it made me feel dopey, unable to think clearly, I'd lose my words, lose my train of thought.

I still get an occasional migraine but nothing like before.  I found this discussion looking for a weight loss aide.  I've gained a lot of weight over the past 4 years and can't seem to get motivated to lose it.  I snack endlessly out of boredom.  I'm going to ask my doctor about topamax as an appetite suppressant and see if he has any ideas for an energy booster.

Hope this information was helpful.

Liz

Hope this helps,
I too am just starting Topirmate 25mg, it's initially for Bi-Polar but also to loose weight as I have gained a lot of weight with other mood stabilisers
How are you doing now ? are you still loosing your hair??? That is my big concern,I too was told to lower my dosage because of extreme hair loss,and other side possible side effects but headaches are already coming back and I am afraid the weight will too but the last thing I want is to be BALD!
I was prescribed this about 10 days ago, started on 25 mg for migraines and have been on 50 mgs this week, I don't like taking meds in general so I got online and read lots of bad stuff and all about bad side effects. The internet is terrible and just scares us when it comes to things like this! I haven't noticed any side effects yet except a very slight drop in appetite about 4 days into taking it. Nothing tastes funny, I haven't felt sleepiness yet even though my doctor told me that would be the only side effect other than some weight loss. Also, everyone's body reacts differently to different things. Just pay attention to your body and if something is off just call your doctor, they will help you come off of the medicine safely if you don't like it. =)  
I have started taking it for a month now and found a huge difference. Im on 1000 mg of gabapentin twice a day, tramadol, percocet, imitrex injections, phenergran, migrainal, maxalt, magnesium, valium 10 mg three ties a day, xanax, botox, and this is all for cluster headaches. People have commented on my weight change which has went from 111 to 106 within 4 weeks. which Im within my BMI for being 27 and 5' 3". my husband said yes i have a much unrefined vocabulary and my mood swings are difficult but with all of the other sedatives every day I'm not worried about seizures or anything crazy. I think its a fine drug for cluster headaches since they are still finding cures since they aren't very common. For migraines I'm sure there are other drugs they've found so if you are having issues tell your doctor and find another option. Luckily my husband is military so I have so many drugs but they pay for it all or I would work to pay to make a cluster period tolerable so i don't jump out a window or put my head into a wall! best of luck to you all!
First off, kudos to everyone for taking an active role in your health and well-being by doing your homework and asking questions. You've no idea how many people blindly follow doctor instructions and suffer silently without ever knowing there are active communities like this to help them figure out why and how they might feel better.

I'd like to point out I am not a nurse or health care worker, just a longtime patient with a wealth of experience with Topamax - I've been on it for several years with mixed success. I'm very well-managed bipolar and I've lost weight on this medication initially, regained some and lost again when my dose was increased. I've never suffered any major side effects aside from carbonated drinks tasting flat - which was fine, I've now cut caffeine and aspartame completely out of my diet which is a good thing! More weight loss!!

I can't speak to claims of hand and feet tingling, hair loss or other alarming side effects that others have alluded to - I've never had an issue with any of these things at any time. Always read the literature that comes with the medication or talk to your pharmacist about potential side effects and interactions to educate yourself first! If anything is alarming to YOU, talk to YOUR doctor and discuss your concerns - most likely, there are other reasons he/she prescribed this particular medication for you over another and will address your concerns.

Online forums and communities are great and are a fantastic way to find support and reference, but shouldn't replace a conversation with your doctor. Your doctor should know everything that's going on with you and should hear all of your concerns and issues - all of them. And if you think they won't take the time or they won't listen? Make them. They work for you. You pay their bills. They are your advocate.

Be bold, be brave, be brief my friends - make it count.
And just for the record (I forgot to include this information in my previous post), I lost a total of 37 pounds over a year's time with the help of Topamax. Very little dieting was involved other than the exclusion of soda and I started walking twice a week (albeit sporadically, to be honest about it...) for maybe 20-30 minutes at a time. So, not much in the way of exercise either.
I have the same problem.  It really ***** living in Wisconsin, with our crazy weather.  
Please do take it.  Not everyone is the same.  My son has chronic migraines.  Nothing worked at all.  He has been on Topimax for a year and he has not had a single migraine in that whole time!
I was prescribed topamax a month ago for migraine prevention and also to loose some weight from gabapentin and seroquel which I'm currently on. I'm on 100 mg. I haven't lost any weight even though I started eating healthier and exercising more. I stopped drinking pop too. I talked to my doctor and he doesn't know why. My appetite has decreased. it's very frustrating because I'm trying to loose weight the healthy way.
My guess is seroquel. My hubby gained 80 lbs from that and lithium. He cut those 2 out and stayed on topamax and lost over 90 lbs in 6-7 mos.
How many milligrams was he on
Hi, I tio have suffered migraines for years and have been taking amitriptyline for years with moderate effectiveness. I recently spoke with a neurologist who suggested Topamax. I have a great primary care Doc who said sure! Let's try it. I tapered off the amitriptyline while titrating up on Topamax. I had had a headache for over 30 days straight, also dealing with menopause, and since being on the Topamax (50 mg twice a day) it is GONE!! I only started the 100mg a few days ago and it seems to be working great! The only side effects I've noticed so far are, feeling sleepy with morning dose and mild constipation which I've been able to deal with with gentle laxative every couple days. In a bright note, I'm down 8 lbs since starting 3 weeks ago and don't obsess about food anymore! I admit it, I love my food and my weight has been a lifelong struggle. I find I don't think about eating much and when I do eat, I'm eating about half what I used to cause I'm just not that interested! Hope that continues! Hope this was helpful!
There is a reason Topamax is called Dopamax by doctors.  It took me 3 years to find out why I had suddenly lost my short term memory and couldn't concentrate.  It was like I was in a fog all the time.  The biggest thing is not being able to remember words.  People got used to me trying to describe things with my hands and with other words, like "toaster oven".  You know this big, and it cooks things.  I hated it.  However, the good news.  I was taking 200mg twice a day.  When I think back,  I'm betting the mental problems started after my dosage was raised the last time.  And no, I don't take Topamax anymore.
Thank you for this. I just started this medication, for horrible migraines, and I really want to give it a try. I appreciate your thoughtful comment.
I've been taking Topomax for a few years off and on. In the beginning, it was
50 mgs. and experienced absolutely no weight loss. In fact, I gained about 10
pounds, but I think that was from the seroquel that I'd been taking.
Now I'm taking 100 mgs. and still haven't seen a pound of loss. However,  all the rest of the comments that  have  lost weight,  say they take their meds at night. I take mine during the day, and always have.
Maybe there's something to that.
I'm going to try it, and see if I notice a difference!
Well I was prescribed topmax back in 2011 for a number of thing...migraines being one thing but I had an eating disorder but now Im being prescribed topamax because I have anxiety and personality issues. I am somewhat overweight but I never thought of using it for that until i read all this. But its driving me nutz that I have slept in 4 days. I think I have gotten like 45 mins each night since Thursday night. My meds we doubled and topamax was added with my deprakote. Any suggestions on what I need to do to sleep on this stuff?
I take topamax and five other meds for epilepsy, I have a VNS, so I have trouble sleeping as well, so my neurologist gives me klonopin at night, 2 mg, because it helps me sleep, it keeps seizures away, and it also help the nerve pain if I do have a seizure. Perhaps there is something your doctor could give you to help you sleep? I know klonopin is given in low doses to anxiety patients.
i am just about to start taking this drug for migraine prevention and the dose will increase weekly on a preset schedule.  i am also overweight with back pain and grumpy depressed knackered symptoms following hysterectomy and being put into instant menopause.  so i'm already losing my hair and feeling as dense as a london fog most of the time anyway.  i honestly doubt if this is going to make my word finding worse than it already is.  i also doubt it will make me lose weight -  a doubt i shared with the neurologist but she was adamant that "everyone thinks that and then you cant get the drug off them again when they lose too much".  so off i go, i am going to start it on sunday because i have a long drive on saturday and i'm just trying to be sensible about not starting a new med before that.  if this drug lifts my mood, removes my continuous 7 days a week migraines with massive blinding auras and also makes me lose weight, i may well burst with happiness.  i will buy a gorgeous wig if i have to.  watch this space.  
How long do I need to be on topamax to experience weight loss? I've been on 200mg for two days..
I am wondering the same thing..I have been on 25 mg 2x a day for 6 days and haven't lost any weight
I agree with all you said and want to reinforce the importance of knowing yourself and all of the med/pscyh issues you have as well as talking with your doc and don't be afraid to ask questions.  If your doc is one who is in a hurry, be assertive and ask!  Either you or your insurance co are paying him/her for their treatment/time with you so get what they are being paid for and ask!

I am a behavioral health provider as well as a consumer (you might be surprised to learn how many of us are!)  which really helps me to listen and understand and care about my patients struggles with symptoms, medication and side effects.  I have known about topamax for some time and over the 20 years in MH, I have seen it work great for people with no side effects, work great with weight loss side effect, not work at all  and no side effects... well, you get the idea.  Because everyone is different, it is impossible to know how each of us will be effected.  I say us because I have just talked with my prescribing doc about switching from Wellbutrin to topamax in hopes that It may help with weight loss.  I think I'm going to give it a try but here is what I know about me that we had to take into consideration.  I have taken Armour Thyroid for about 20 years and my numbers are always right where I want them to be.  (BTW this is a natural med made from pig thyroid and does not have the side effects that synthetic meds have such as hair loss. I get lots of compliments on my hair...no boasting, just saying! :) I have had repeated and sometimes severe and lengthy episodes of depression which have been controlled on the Wellbutrin, I have been heavier in my life time but am currently at 186 and should be 130,  I have a history of binge eating, (I know how to eat healthy and do at times, will lose some but I have a weakness for sugar and salt so I always manage to find what I have lost! Crap!), I have never been an avid exerciser, my latest blood work came back perfect (My doc said she hopes I feel as good as my labs look so I am blessed) and I am an occasional smoker (currently 1-2 cigs per day if any)  

The only reason I mention all of that is to illustrate how different everyone's individual situation and experience can be and the importance of taking everything into consideration.  Also, I know the list of possible side effects can be daunting but remember. they're only possible.  I hate to see someone decide not to take a med prescribed by their doc because of fear of side effects as it may be the one that will finally help!  Just a thought...

I'll try to check back in with my experience if/when I decide to try it and Good Blessings to everyone who is posting here.  It's so hard sometimes to keep trying to find the one thing that will help...Please don't give up!!

I was on Topamax back in 2011 for my migraines and I dropped about 25 lbs in 3 months. I took it again in 2013 with some weight loss then as well. I'm 2014 I started taking Topiramate (TEVA brand) and I don't feel that I lost any weight however I did manage to maintain my weight... and I also felt like I was getting frequent dull headaches. I haven't taken it in about a month and I have gained 10 lbs and can't stop eating. I called to have my prescription refilled and TEVA has discontinued making Topiramate. I'm getting Topamax (non-generic) tomorrow and while I hope it makes these annoying dull headaches go away, I really hope i lose these extra pounds. But it sounds like people don't have much success with weight loss their second go-around? Yes? I'm also dreading the hair loss. What have people found to be effective.. And actually effective in stopping the hair loss?!
Web md lists it as a side effect    I used to take Topamax it made me loss weight and then it made me loss a lot of hair  I stopped taking it before I went bald . I gained all my weight back and then some.     =(    Sincerely ,mechial cox
if you take a b12 vitamine very morning detangling will stop after a while it helps I have been on topamax for for years now my mother was the one he led me to the miracle of b12
I was on Depakote for 8yrs and tried all kinds of diets to now avail. When I ended up having my psych medicines changed I lost about 28lbs in 3mos! I was put on Topamax for Migraines and a seizure I had. The new Dr. told me that Depakote had caused me to to hold the extra added weight.  I think the Topamax helped me get the extra weight off faster and keep it off. I now take Lamictal instead of the Depakote & have no side effects. Good luck!
bcs59
My doctor give me Topomax 25mg 1 time at night last week but I don't start yet I would be taking a combination of (Topomax) plus (Contreva) a new combination to loose weight but I am concern on the side effect anyone is on this combination? the Doctor explain to me that one of her patient  is taking Contreva 1 in the AM and 1 in the PM plus Topomax 1/2 pill 30min before breakfast 1/2 pill 30 min before Lunch and 1 pill at night and her patient loose 40 lbs in the past 3 months.
just about too start Topiramate will keep you updated
My psychiatrist prescribed topamax to me about 5 months ago.  He asked if I thought I over ate.  I told him on occasion I did.  But normally I felt I did not neat enough.  I lost 20 lbs in the first 2 months.  Then nothing.  I was trying too hard and had stopped eating.  Only ate 1 meal a day.  When I went to see him I confessed that I was probably not eating enough.  So I decided to get back on and do it right.  I then ate a small breakfast. a small lunch. a reasonable dinner and a snack of fruit or vegitable at night.  I have now lost 10 more pounds.  So even though the pill may make you feel like not eating you must eat a little something to keep your body going.  But keep it healthy, fruit, salad, vegitables.  I hope to lose 20 more before mid summer!!!  Bev  He told me if I didn't think that I over ate, then just keep eating normally  And it worked.  I had always told people I didn't overeat, but they didn't believe me.  I ate normal, but I was still fat.  In about 3 to 4 more moths of eating normally I will be blessed...with normal weight!!!!
I have  been  on topomax for awhile  now. Once I started the drug  I was  wearing a size 12  pants  and have  lost so much weight that it I scary and  then I went  down to a size 8. I am  in the process  of seeing a new doctor to have them take me off this medication. I can't focus, lose intrest  in things and no energy.... Cant  wait to feel better.
Have just started on 25 mg 2 / day a couple of weeks ago and gradually increasing in the hopes of controlling seizures. That sounds dramatic but they are not major, just focal seizures that manifest in auras, nausea and  nasty pins and needles down my left side that hurt but I don't lose motor or cognitive function. They wear me out tho'.  

Will start weaning off another anticonvulsant tonite and bump up to 50 mg in evenings with gradual increases in Topomax.  Immediately noticed bleh flat pop taste but ditching diet pop won't be a bad thing.  Have noticed a little pressure behind my left eye too.  A little annoying but has all but disappeared.  

Have slowly packed on the lbs over last several years.   Hoping to  shed some unwanted lbs.  Have noticed a decrease in appetite but know smaller more frequent meals work best for me for weight loss, not forgetting and skipping meals which has been happening.  I am about 80 lbs above a healthy weight.  

Great thing so far is that my seizures are under control!   BUT I haven't started weaning off the other  drug yet. That starts tonite.  Fingers crossed.  Insofar as brain fog and fatigue.  I've been on anticonvulsants since 2005, brain fog and fatigue has become  my normal, sadly. I really hope TOPOMAX will help me take off some weight.  After all the crap I've been through, I deserve a break. Not counting on it, but that would be SWEET!
This is happening to me too! I do not have much of an appetite, eat healthy, exercise - but haven't lost 1 lb in the last month since beginning Phentermine and Topamax!
I've been on Topamax (and actually been taking it strictly as prescribed) for about 3 months now(I would forget to take it daily because I wasn't used to being on any kind of medicine). I started off on 25mg once a day, then 25mg in the morning with a meal then two 25mg with dinner. I take it for migraines but the plus side is it also stabilizes my moods(good thing for my fiance'). I have just now noticed a change in my appetite. I've not been very hungry, and have actually lost about 10lbs in the past 2 months. Down side has been that my brain does not connect with my mouth very well, however I am already as blonde as it gets, so now I just have a legitimate excuse. I am exhausted all the time-I have a 9-5 desk job & don't do much else besides house work. I have been much more forgetful, which has been a scary thing, but the fact that my migraines have reduced to about 2-3 times a month as compared to 4+ times a week is worth it. I am still taking 75mg daily total, sometimes with 50mg Tramadol on the rough days. Good vibes and best wishes!
WELL SAID I JUST STARTED TOPAMAX AND THAT IS THE SAME ADVICE MY NURSE DAUGHTER IS GIVING ME. RIGHT NOW I JUST FEEL TIRED BUT THAT COULD BE BECAUSE I HAVE A SINUS INFECTION ALSO!   I AM GOING TO GIVE IT A FEW WEEKS . I AM TAKING IT FOR WEIGHT LOSS TOO. I HAVE STEROID INDUCED TYPE 2 DIABETES.  NOT FUN.  61 YEARS OLD  ASTHMA AND NOW GETTING HYPERTENSION. HAVE GOT TO DO SOMETHING!  YES AND I DO FIND SODAS VERY FLAT AND THATS A GOOD THING  DONT NEED THEM BEEN TRYING TO QUIT:)  I DO HAVE  LOSS OF APPETITE  WE SHALL SEE!   LINDA LU
Its been over a year, so how about now? I've been taking 100mg for 2 years... I've definitely got idiot brain...
Let me tell you all my story.
I have lupus. I was diagnosed in 2004.  I also had seizures. I was prescribed 7 25mg pills twice a day. That's 350mg of this drug I knew nothing about.  My side effects were as follows--memory loss, DOPAMAX brain,--unable to concentrate, pins and needles in feet and hands, and finally weight loss.  I was 180 lbs when I started taking Topamax, and within six months I was down to 127 lbs. I had never been skinny before and oh my gosh was I LOVING being skinny!!!!!!!!!!  My weight crept back up to about 135, then 145. I believe my body got used to it.  But I was still happy being at 145.  THEN, I decided to have a baby.  I knew I needed to be off of any harmful medications for at least three months before getting pregnant.  November of 2012 I took myself off.  And by March 2013 I was pregnant AND I weighed in at 180. Right back to where I was, I had gained about 35 lbs!!!! and I didn't change a thing. AND I couldn't stop gaining.  Of course I was pregnant, but shouldn't have been gaining THAT much at such a rapid speed.  My final weight at delivery was 250. The highest I had EVER been in my life.  I have my memory back, and I can concentrate, and I haven't had a seizure either!!!!! However it's been so hard to lose weight. I'm now STILL a year and half later yo-yo-ing between 240 and 220.  I would LOVE to be thin again, and I'm trying... but Topamax did something to my metabolism or something. Just messed me up. I would NOT advise anyone to take this drug, UNLESS you're willing to be on it for the rest of your life and who knows what the side effects of THAT would be.  I will be seeing a neurologist soon to see if my brain has any seizure activity, but I honest have not had one since 2005.  I'm grateful for that, but do wish I could lose this weight.  
Just starting Topiramate 25 mg. two times daily,  now.  How are you doing.  I will let you know my  progress,
What in the world is the 5 bite diet?  I would like to know any info that you have I guess that I  could look it up online.  Any info would be greatly appreciated>
Hi Everyone! I just want to thank everyone for taking the time to post their experiences because they help me so much! I was diagnosed with a neurological disorder called cervical dystonia around 8 mo. ago. A slew of drugs have come and gone as there is no cure or specific medication (not that that usually matters bc most medicine is scary anyways!) for dystonia. I started Topamax about 2 mo. ago and have tried to keep my dose at 50mg at bedtime due to side effects. And thanks to you guys I now know I'm not crazy for thinking it was making my HAIR FALL OUT! I tried bringing it up to my primary last visit, but of course if it isn't in the pamphlet side effect warning list they don't always pay attention! I thought I was going bonkers, so thank all of you!! As far as weight loss, I had lost about 8 pounds in 3 mo. before starting the Topamax, but have since lost 10+ in the last 2 mo. and easily lose it if I don't eat much for the day.  I need to increase my dose to 75mg bc dystonia causes constant neck spasms which make for frequent headaches/migraines and the 50mg had been staving them off until recently; but I'm worried if I increase my dose I will lose too much weight. I also get the dopamax brain (which I've dealt with bc my disorder keeps me at home) and tingly hands and feet. Idk, it's all a lot to consider long term.  I apologize for the novel, I don't have anyone in my world to talk to about these kinds of things and am elated when I find such great wealth's of information!  (I just spaced out for a good few seconds after typing THANKS TOPAMAX!!) :)  Anyways thanks again to everyone for being such great resources! Have a pain free day!
Well, thank you for the wealth of information from your experiences. My dr suggested I try it for my migraines, I'm 51 & never had them under control since I was about 13. I could use to lose about 30 lbs. so I like that aspect, but I'm too vane to avoid pain while losing my hair! I also can't afford to lose the small brain I have these days, blaming my forgetfulness on menopause already! So, I'll try it, keep my fingers crossed but if it messes with my head (hair or brain!) I'll go back to chubby and in pain of course with my dr's assistance! Thanks!
Regenon pills are good for weight loss, it controls hunger and help you in effective weight loss.
Just started first dose tonight 25 mg
I take 100 mg a day and noticed weight loss. I had also just stopped taking Seroquel, a mood stabilizer, which made me gain about 40 lbs. I was on Seroquel to help with my depression and insomnia. Well the Seroquel changes your body chemistry and makes you have cravings horribly! Once I got off of it I started taking topamax and started to lose weight. No more cravings. I also want to mention that I was on an SSRI, an antidepressant, whic can also cause weight gain, and my Dr. switched me to 300 mg of  Bupropion XL, which is an NDRI, and does not cause weight gain. Well, both of them together, not having cravings (maybe every once in a while, lol) and  I did change my diet. For example I cut out A LOT of refined sugar, watch my calories, bad carbs, and fats and just eat healthy did the trick.  I went from 170 to 124 very quickly. I do think I have noticed HAIR LOSS :((  though. And I experience some memory and thought process problems, unless that is just due to my medical problems.  The hair loss might not be related.But I am very happy about the weight loss. I am 50 and I was already depressed and the weight gain made it much worse. Good Luck to everyone
I just read your post, and you mentioned hair loss. I swear I notice it to, but I also color my hair and it could be that and I have wimpy hair and am getting older (50), blah, blah, blah. I hope it is just the hair color and I can try to use a gentle color from now on and baby my hair. Try to use conditioning treatments, don' use a lot of heat on my hair etc. I see a lot off breakage around the hairline, but it also feels thinner to me. I also experience the dopamax effect, and it makes me so frustrated. I will be talking to someone and I for get a word. It is so embarrassing. I already have bbad anxiety, so sometimes it's like I'e worried it's going to happen and it makes it worse. I am on disability right now, so not working makes it much easier. I cannot imagine functioning at work agian and having the dopamax effect. But when I was working, I was hardly ever there because of the dibilitating migraines. Sorry about the novel as well, lol!
just taking topomax isnot going to make you loose weight. your appetite should change and you should eat less ..but if you are a habitual, nervous or depressive eater you are not going to loose weight no matter how much topomax you take .. just sayin not playin :)
This statement is not true. I have been taking topamax for seizures,200mg a day, for about 8 months and without changing anything I do and with a low thyroid disorder and low blood sugar disorder I have lost 64 pounds. It has been only by taking the topamax and by breathing. The only exercising I do is a daily walk and yoga stretching because of the hypoglycemia I cannot do strenuous cardio. I have not changed my diet at all. However, I do also take zonegran for my seizures and the massive weight loss could caused by the combination of these two together. Yet, I have heard plenty of other people on topamax for seizures who have lost significant amounts of weight. Check your facts buddy.
Hi, sorry you are feeling so bad. What I have read is: eating high fat foods (fried or not ) like Adkins Diet stuff.. butter, bacon non lean meats. carbonated beverages: regular and diet sodas, sparkling waters and wines  as well as beer and coffee. Sweets seem to be a big culprit in digestive problems.
Maybe take a week off of all these items. Then introduce them one at a time for about 2 days. If the symptoms return, go back to the original list with that one scratched off...then two days later or when you're feeling better...Then try introducing the next thing on the list for two days...and so on. If you get an instant reaction..scratch off!! I am just starting topamax for migraines. My only side effects are increased body tempature, dry and a yucky taste in my mouth. I'm avoiding all of the above food items... I have IBS and this might cause symptoms x10! I will repost if anything positive or  comes from this medicine. Be well soon!! Let us know how you are doing!
I lost 10 lbs on it but also a beautiful head of hair! Migraines down some. weight only gained due to a med prescribed! Hate this! Ten lbs to go. Can't take migraines anymore. Still 17 a month.
My doctor took me off of 50 mg a day not telling me or telling me why but now I'm taking 50 mg a day. I lost from 192 in March to in October to 147. Which I needed to because of my back pain and so many pains that are chronic. When he took me off the other 50 a day it didnt take a month and Ive already gained 13 back and wasnt even trying to and I tried so hard not to eat junk but it made me crave so much stuff I didnt before and I dont even have it in me to do much exercising like I did ask not only did I gain 13 pounds since mid October but Ive lost ALOT of my tone because I just didnt have the ump in me I guess you would call it and just never have an ounce of energy for nothing. And my being short. Any one pound alone makes a HUGE difference! I got down to a size 9-11 on juniors sizes. Im 47 years old BTW.. And now my gut is back and you can see it going over my jeans so now Im gonna have to start wearing sweaters and big ol hoodies to hide all that again which I hate because I was JUST starting to like me after 24 years of being over 200 pounds!!! Im hoping my visit to the doctor tomorrow he puts me back on it twice a day or Im gonna be a very unhappy woman again for years to come. I was happy cause my man was SO HAPPY to see my accomplishments and he loved my toned body and I knew he did by the better looks I got and well... Anyway about the hair loss.. Ive noticed to that when I wash my hair I lose hair every time I wash it and its thinner but you cant really tell it if you didnt know it was coming out. But it does freak me out sometimes because I think wow it coming out like that everyday you would think I wouldnt have any hair but I do. Plus I still have my own natural color of dark brown. And yea I have every now and then I find a grey but I pluck it out and go on. I figured Im 47 fixing to be 48 soon, as soon as I start seeing some real grey I will be hitting the beauty salon and they can get Crayola to take care of me lol I feel pretty good tho cause theres SOOOOOOOO many in my class from school and theres not one yet that weve found that doesnt dye their hair so.. Yeah!! Yall wish me luck they put me back on it because this girl NEVER wants to go back to 247 pounds again which is where I was a year ago and for the past 24 years I've been up and around that number and for a 5 foot girl. Nooooo No and NO. I am NOT gonna feel and get that unhappy again if I have to change doctors again, I will. Thnx yall for your input as well I needed to read all of these.
I was just prescribed topiramate 5 days ago..extremely low dose to titrate up by a half tab each week. I am taking it for an essential tremor, I addition to another drug. Of course I have not seen any effects yets buts was overjoyed when I found out this drug assists with weight loss. I must say tho, I put my husband and myself on the "Fast Metabolism Diet". Saw a show on the public channel and went out and bought the book and thoroughly read it and made notes and bookmarked pages and purchased all the groceries. My husband who is diabetic and has a lot of edema lost 16 pound...water weight...in 5 days; I've lost 7 pounds. It is an excellent diet except for phase two..three phases to diet each lasting 2 to 3 days. Lots of work organizing but I cud never stick to a diet and this hhas been a breeze..now hearing that topiramate will be a benefit brings me great joy!!!
yep ive had the same was put on them for migraines stared off on 25mg per day for two weeks now up to 50mg per day
put on weight through bloating not lost it throwing up and still got my migraines been nearly four weeks lost more weight when I wasn't taking them im ready to flush them also very lo on energy and pain in my legs I hate feeling like this
I'm not sure if this is of any help, but I have been on Topamax now for almost 5 months and take 50 mg in the morning and 50 mg at night. My doctor has me taking Riboflavin with that dose in the morning and night as well, and I was wondering if anyone else does that as well? I take the Topamax for chronic migraine. I used to get up to 17-18 a month, and I now get maybe 1-2 a month, but those are generally caused I think by me not taking care of myself as well, thinking that since I have medication I can be a little more late with my habits. I am in my early 20s and a girl by the way.
Call me vain. I rather live with migraines and be a little chubby, than lose my hair, eyebrows and eyelashes...and breakout like crazy! To hell with Topomax!!
When your migraines are so bad you would rather smash your head head against the wall because nothing takes the pain away and you have have them 21 days out of the month I would rather take the topamax. I suffered for too long finally something is starting to work.
ive been on 100mg topamax a while and i do the same thing with memory ive even said you know that stuff sticky on one side holds things together, my friends thought i was nuts when one said "you mean tape?' lol now thats bad
Hi, I have the same problem, I gained 30 pounds (130-160 pounds) while simultaneously on 100 mg zoloft and 25 mg Topamax :( I'm 18 and have BPD and also an eating disorder, i did so much and could not lose any of the weight! I finally got off the zoloft and was wondering how long it took everyone to lose all of their excess weight? Thank you!!
I have being taking Topomax 25 mill a day  for 12 days so far no weight loss. due to Lyrica and Cyprelex I gain 20 pounds I went from 127 to 145 that's the reason my DR put me on Topomax .I have aggressive fibromyalgia . how long does 25 mill start working  thanks ?
When I stopped Zoloft, I dropped 40 lbs immediately.  But, I started Topomax about a year later for a tumor on my spine.  At 25 mg I was having good success with pain control, but not great.  I was increased to 50 mg.  On this dosage now for 2 years and I have lost a total of 96 lbs.  I don't exercise, but I don't eat junk food either.  At this point I am quite concerned because for some reason, the more I eat, the more weight I lose.  I am down, today, to 117 lbs.  I lost 6 lbs this past week.  I need  to find a way to maintain a healthy weight so I can continue to take the topomax and use it for pain support. Any ideas?
I've been on 100mg of the generic for almost 4 months. In many ways, it's been a wonder drug. My migraines were almost completely gone, from daily to 4 days per month. It cured my vertigo, travel sickness and tremor. I also lost 30lbs in 3 months.

The past month the daily migraines returned. Before I started the drug I wasn't sure that my daily headaches were actually migraines as they are not as severe as the ones I get at my period and ovulation.

Topirimite basically just changed my migraines from headaches and vertigo into visual auras. Instead of getting daily headaches I started to get daily visual auras. A million times easier to cope with. The auras continued along when the headaches came back.

I went back to the doc he's raising my dose to 200mg over 8 weeks. I'm on 125mg now and already it's helping with the headaches. Not many auras, only if I wake early to use the bathroom. Hoping the high dose will help with my chronic back pain as I'm on max dose of tramadol and it's not helping much.

Side effects - gastric distress!! Everything I eat seems to run through me. Dopamax brain. Forgetting how to spell the simplest of words - like Friday! Anxiety and sleepless nights because of a feeling of impending doom. This is only when I'm raising the dose. Tingling. Facial twitch. Hair loss, but I think this is more due to the weight loss than the pills. Irritability.

Anyone know if the weight loss effect returns when the dose is increased? The weight loss stopped after the third month, right about when it stopped working for the migraines. I still need to lose 15lbs from Cymbalta and Amytriptline. If not, at least I know I won't gain on it :)