losing weight after effexor
I gained 20 lbs in the last 3 years that I was taking Effexor. I have tried everything. I'm eating less & working out more. I started taking Paxil but that didn't work at all as I have anxiety issues. Anyhow Effexor did wonders for my attitude however after 3 years I am now convinced that it was the cause for all the excess weight. Anyhow I was wondering if the weight comes off after I get off the meds? or am I stuck with excess weight forever in which case I will be contacting my doctor because they lied to me.
I just wanted to comment here about my weight loss and experience (researching on the internet) with trying to treat my Major Depressive Disorder for the last 4 years.  First of all, I’ve tried to treat it by counseling only (with Psychologist, Psychiatrists, etc).  I never took any medication because I read about all the horror stories on the internet (like here).  Especially the stories about weight gain.  So, I always declined it from my doctor.  I’ve changed Psychiatrist about 4 times already and ended up with a Dr that only treats depression via medication.  I didn’t know it at the time of the appointment.  He convinced me that my only way of treating my depression was via medication.   I decided to give it a try.  I started out on Effexor.  He said this was the most successful for his patients.  I started on the low dose and ended up at 150mg.  I was VERY concerned about gaining weight so I weighed myself every week.  I didn’t notice much of a difference depression wise until about the 6th week.  By the 8th-10th weeks I was feeling really good.   I was amazed how well it was working (and still am after 4 months!).  The other crazy thing is I lost over 25 pound since I started the Effexor 4 months ago. It is like an appetite suppressant.  I just weighed myself every week and drank 70 ounces of water per day. I also stopped drinking alcohol.  This is a requirement not to mix the 2 together. If you are drinking alcohol (at all) that could be your problem.  

Anyway, I’m really mad that I didn’t start Effexor years ago. The moral of the story is to NOT assume everything you read on the internet will happen to you. It’s been my experience that the majority of people going to the internet about health issues are people that have had bad experiences and are looking for advice.  There are not too many people that go to the internet to complain about how great something is working!  Think about that.  Millions have taken these drugs and it has changed their lives.  My doctor also told me up front that I will have to take this medication for the rest of my life.  So I have no fears of having to wean of it.  I’m so much happier.  It made me stop drinking alcohol which I believe is better than the possible long term effects of Effexor.  This is just my experience and I'm sure other may have different experiences.  Just monitor your weight, drink lots of water, exercise 4 times per week for at least 50 minutes (elliptical trainer) using a heart monitor to keep a stable heart rate and consistent workout.  I don't eat over 1800 calories per day.  I'm a male 6’2" 195. I’m down from 222 on 09/22/2009.  I have a friend of mine that recently started Effexor and he also is losing weight like crazy. He followed my advice about the water, no alcohol, exercise, and limiting calories.

One last thing...My doctor also told me that most of his patients lose weight or maintain weight on Effexor.  He said there are more issues with making sure he tells his patient to eat 3 meals a day.  So far everything he has told is consistent with my results.  Remember, when you get older your metabolism slows down…so being on this drug for years could just be that.  Just take a look around you….the majority of people in this country are overweight and gain weight regularly.  And the majority of those folks are not taking any medication!  So how do you explain that?  
While I am genuinely happy (if not a bit envious) of your reaction to Effexor, this is not the case for a lot of people. Clearly there are people out there that take this drug and it has a weight-loss effect for them, but this usually isn't the case. Like most of these types of medications, for a lot of people they encourage weight gain. You're absolutely correct in pointing out the fact that as people age, most of our metabolisms tend to slow down. However, what do you say to those that have kept their diet/exercise routines intact since starting Effexor and still gain incredible amounts of weight? I was 114 lbs. when I was put on medication for my anxiety, and keep in mind that I continued to eat the same, clean diet and exercise very regularly and not a drop of alcohol ever, but still put on over 80 lbs. in under 2 years. That is not a normal physiological progression of the body's metabolism. I'm only 25 now, but even for people in their 40's or 50's, a increase in weight that dramatic could not merely be attributed to 'getting older' and that's why they're gaining weight. In order to put on that kind of weight (regardless of age, sex or any other variable), you would have to live a very sedentary life and consume far more calories than your body requires to function!

True that the majority of people in the Western world these days are overweight, but again, that isn't purely from aging. There are far more factors that come into play when it comes to obesity (morbid or otherwise). Once more, it's the result of inactivity and hugely inflated diets; those include large and unhealthy amounts of fat (saturated/trans), processed foods that contain ridiculous levels of sugar, white flour and preservatives. That is more of the reality of why so many people in our society are severely overweight and undernourished. Also, as a side note; some people can suffer from underlying conditions such as thyroid problems, and PCOS to name a few, that can certainly contribute to weight issues.

So I guess the point I'm driving home here is that while yours and your friends situation has worked out in a beneficial manner for you, that is not the case for every person taking this drug. It is not necessarily that we're all just getting older (and subsequently our metabolisms are failing us to the fullest) or that we don't eat properly, exercise or drink enough water either. This medication can, and does have a very damaging effect on many of its users, and those reactions should not be discounted with such a simplistic conclusion.

Take care of your bodies, because you only get 1! Also, stay informed and keep yourself educated :)

Male, 39 years old - 6' 3" tall.
Before effexor i was 170-175lbs and had high blood pressure, i was also taking Paxil. That was 9 years ago. During the time on Effexor i got up to 230 lbs. With watching what i ate and exercise, i got down to 195lbs. Than back up to 205, after i stopped exercise. My Triglycerides had gotten very high. Dr said to try fish oil. Worked to get it down. BTW, it also helps w/ the electric zaps when you are getting off the drug.
New A**hole boss, and second child ...  stress was high. Dr thought i had expired the use of effexor. Zoloft was next, lasted about a month on that. My heart never flipped as much in my life. Than Lexapro for about 5 months. In them 5 months i lost 25 lb and felt very ... manic. Dr thought that was a side effect and started me on Wellbutrin. I'm on week 2.
I was skinny my whole life. Gaining the weight felt good, normal. Losing weight brought a concern that I'd go back to a "skinny tall guy". Everyone around me things i look good, but inside i feel anxiety when someone says "hey, did you lose weight"?
It has been hell going onto these other drugs. Everyday i wish i stayed on Effexor and maybe exercised more or found activities to help lower my stress. Why dont i get back on it? i may, or even try Pristiq, which is similar but with less side effects. I am off an SSRI now. BUT I'm on Wellbutrin. That is an NDRI. I'll see if this works better for me. I fear getting off the drugs completely and going back into a depressed state. These drugs have saved my life. i've learned everyones makeup is different and it takes time to find the right one.
Hope this helps someone.

Mark

Hi all,

I just want to offer a glimmer of hope for those of you that gained puzzling, inexplainable weight whilst on Effexor.

I am a 22 year old female, who was suffering from mild bouts of anxiety, I weighed only 45 kilos so I was technically underweight even though I ate like a soldier and I have always been naturally tiny as are most my family members. I never had to watch what I ate and hardly ever exercised. Anyway, to cut a long story short, my doctor (who was not my regular family doctor at the time) probably assumed that I was an anorexic nut (because of my weight) and that was probably why I had anxiety. I tried to explain to him that I had only been experiencing these bouts of anxiety after a stressful time at work. I guess he thought "yeah right" and decided he should put me on this heinous drug. He told me it was a nice little pill that would "calm me down during stressful times".

Well, I guess it did just that. I was just a vessell, with no emotion or feeling. I just sat there, grinning like an idiot, staring into space and sleeping like a koala all day. I appreciate that it took the anxiety away and stopped then stress, however I lost my spark, I lost my passion. I was tired ALL day. I would have 12 hour sleeps at night, yet still want to crash for a nap in the middle of the day. This drug made me virtually useless. The biggest side effect however, would have to be this uncontrollable weight that would just pile on. I was eating the same as I was before, if not less as I started noticing the weight gain. I allowed 5 kilo's weight gain initially because I thought "yeah I could do with a little weight gain, it wouldn't hurt", however I am only 5'4 and as the weight started to creep up to a dramatic 11 kilo increase, people started asking me about my stomach and I even had a stranger ask if I was pregnant. (The weight was most noticeable around my stomach and butt).

I am a student, so it was really hard for me to afford an entirely new wardrobe as none of my clothes fit anymore. The bloating and the weight continued to increase and decided I needed to put a halt to this thing before it got any worse and I reached the point of no return. I booked an appointment with another doctor at the same clinic (because I knew the one who prescribed me Effexor would defend it til the end of the Earth) and I exlplained to her what was happeing to me. She checked the records and observed my starting weight and she was gobsmacked that I could pile on 11 Kilos (20 somehing pounds) in a six month time frame. I exlained to her that I am eating less than I was before I went on this drug because I was so concious of the weight gain. She exlained she also had a few other patients that had experienced the same problem. She agreed that it would be a good idea to wean myself of this destructive piece of crap.

At this time I was on the 75 mg, so she told me to lower it to 35 mg and take this for a month and then take one every second day after that. I must say, I was terrified about the withdrawls, as I had pervioulsy skipped one pill by accident whilst I was on the 75's and became a hot, shaking mess. However, I believe by correctly and slowly tapering off, I was able to get off them completley and I am proud to say it's been 4 days now with very little comedowns.

The first Effexor day was the worst, I had this seething anger and resentment towards anyone who ticked me off in the slightest and this feeling lasted up until about day 2. I also had little crying episodes for now apparent reason during these first few days and very mild brain zaps. However, I am pleased to say, it's day 4 and I feel fantastic and very positive. I even weighed myself to compare and I have lost 2.5 kilos, although this might just be the water weight and I won't hold my breath because I have heard it might stop there or might even fluctuate for a good while post-Effexor, but so far so good.

However, I need to make clear I have been taking 5 Omega 3 tablets for about 2 years now, as well as tumeric capsules so this might be why I have been more successful with others in regards to weight loss. I also want to remind people, DO NOT JUST GO OFF THESE COLD TURKEY! If you were suffering severe depression/anxiety please talk to your doctor about alternative meds, if you have the same concerns or work out a good weaning off plan with them. I also want to say, if Effexor is working for you, then great, make sure you keep at it and if you hate the side-effects, be sure to weigh up the pro's and cons before stopping.

I will try and keep you guys updated about my progress post-Effexor and hopefully I can report back with good news.

Good luck and best wishes to you all!
Finding this site has been the biggest blessing ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been on Effexor XR for 4 yrs. Before I started this drug I wieghed 95lbs. at 5'2". I never had to exercise or watch what I ate! As time went on the wieght grad. went up! I've always been praised on how small I was and how pretty. This has been really hard! Almost a yr. ago I went off the pill thinking this might be why I've gained so much wieght, but after 8 months nothing happend so I went back on it! This past Jan. I had a yearly physical and I weighed the same wieght as I was pregnant with my second child at 9 months! Effexor has always been a great drug mentally for me! I always felt great and my mood was possitive! After talking to my Dr. we decided to ween me off of my 75mg. I've been almost a week off totally and I cry over everything, have the worst road rage and fear for myself and anyone else that pisses me off! I'm worried about getting fired at my job bc I am fiesty! Everything makes me so mad! I hate me lately and really as a social person don't want anything to do w/ any of my friends! My mind is a blur. As my husband put it, I like bloated! I work out like crazy and watch what I eat but lately going off this dang meds. I crave everything! My depression is at an all time high, & that isn't why I went on it! It was for anxiety! I so far have no anxiety but all depression! If the wieght doesn't start to come off soon it may not be a good ending!
Any suggestions are so welcome!
Thanks to everyone who has shared sim. posts! It has mad me feel like I'm not crazy!
hey i was on the meds on put on 30 kg now im off ive lost 17 kg in 5 mths with out trying. i think everyone is different. but coming off these meds is awfull and doctors shouldnt be alloudto hand it out so easily
Hey

I have been eating Effexor for 8 years and finally stopped taking them may 5th this years. I think I have gained 25 kg since I started. But in the beginning I didnt see it as a problem since I was underweight, around 45 kg. I stood still on 57 Kg for a couple of years and then 4 years ago, I gained 15 kg in a year... I have tried to loose these kg:s but no exerscise have worked. It took a while also for me to believe it was the effexors fault. Now Im finally off them and Im waiting for my body to start working properly again. Nothing happened yet though... I take long walks or cycling every day and weightlifting two times a week.

I used to be petite and small so this has done a big impact on my mood... Im 160 cm long and weight 70 kg now. I used to weight around 55 kg...Horrible, hope it turnes around soon. I will update here if anything happens with my weight..
I was on Effexor for 3 years, taking a dosage of up to 250mg per day. In the first 6 months I gained 40 pounds. That's all I gained but it never came off. I have been off the drug for 3+ years now. I was always a person with a high metabolism and never had to exercise  or watch what I eat but I always had physical jobs. Not that I have tried but the weight has not budged.  My sister was on the same meds and gained  70 pounds and she always exercises and eats right and does weight watchers and can't loose a pound.  Leaves me disgruntled.
I thought I was crazy until I read all these postings. I was put on Effexor XR, got up to 300mg. I don't know if the time coralates, but within a four month period, I gained 50lbs. I know I didn't enjoy eating 50lbs of extra calories. I could gain over 5 lbs in a week and couldn't figure out why. This was four years ago. I've gone to endocrinologists, neurologist, and my GYN with no one able to find answers. To everyone that says Effexor can't make you gain wt, I disagree 100%. I go to cadio work out classes 4 times a week, avoid junk food, but......About a year ago, I thought the Effexor wasn't working as well, so I slowly weaned and went on Cymbalta. That gave me a horrid all over my body rash, so I went back on the Effexor. About three months ago, I told my MD I want to get off of these meds. Going off of Effexor entirely without a substitute is awful. Stabbing knife in the head headachess, jittery, brain jumble. I've been completely off Effexor for 2 weeks. Still have withdrawal symptoms, but they are lessening slowly. Hoping for some wt loss. I agree with the person that said "of coarse I'm depressed, I've gained so much weight". good luck everyone
This med has ruined my life.  I've always had body image issues and this only magnified it.  I have tried everything to lose weight to no avail.  I took myself off of it a week ago.  I feel awful and suicidal.  I almost checked myself into a hospital last night.  I felt like I was that close to a breakdown.  

I've been taking 5-HTP to help wean myself.  It takes the edge off.  So does a glass of tea with a little Ameretto.  This has been a tough week.  My brain hurts, my face feels weird, I feel seasick with this humming sensation in my head.  I will NEVER ever tell anyone to take this med.  Hopefully, the side effects will subside.  Today is better but the slightest noise sets me off and yesterday I think I cursed more than I have in my entire life.  Never again.  I want my life back.  
I can so relate to your situation.  You havnt posted for a bit just wondering how goes the battle?  I myself had been on effexor for about 5 years, I stopped taking it in Oct.  I just stopped cold turkey.  The first week was hell, but seem to be doing ok now.  I decided to stop taking it when i went to the dr. for a check up and my blood pressure was high and not to mention the weight gain.  Well im pleased to say my blood pressure is back to BETTER then normal, but have not lost any weight.  When i started taking effexor I  lost weight....25lbs in less then 3 months... i was loving it!  I was able to maintain my weight at 100 lbs for about 2 years there abouts, but then all of a sudden i started gaining out of no where.  I now weigh 140 lbs im also 5'2".  As strangely as the weight just kept coming off in the first little bit and stayed off, it started piling on in the end......all of this without any diet or exercise changes so im baffled. So now im trying to watch what i eat, but honestly if i ate any less i would starve. its only been a month and a half since i stopped taking effexor so im hoping for the best. I will keep posting, wishing everyone with this situation the best.
hi i'm starting to wean off of effexor after five months.. at first it was great! my anxiety, depression, and migraines were manageable.  i am also petite 5'3 and i weight about 115 when i started to take it. i weighed myelf last week at the gym and i have gain over ten pounds! my trainer at the gym thinks that the weight gain is because i'm in a new relationship and that all we do is eat and drink and go out but that is not the truth! my eating and exercise habits have not changed, but i sleep long hours and i feel constantly drowsy.  i also developed a cold that has lasted around 3 months so far, the doctors and health care specialists just treat me like i'm sick! however, after reading all of these posts i know that it is the effexor! i just want to get off of this med, i'm currently at 37.5 mg and next week i'm am tapering even lower.  i just want to lose this excess weight and feel normal again even if my normal is more emotional than i currently am.  i had an aunt who passed away in december and this medication makes me feel so emotionally numb i couldn't even cry! that was awful!! i just want off of this med, i want to lose weight, and i am never taking antidepressants to manage my migraines ever again!!!!
I read your post that is a few years old on Effexor weight gain.
Just wondering if you eventually got back to your
pre Effexor weight and if so how long did it take?
Thank you.
I also started to come off Effexor in October, 2011. I had been on it for almost two years at that point, 112.5 mgs a day. I took until march to come completely off, taking it very slowly. It has now been about 8 weeks and I have not lost one single pound of the 20 pounds gained (it took about 4-5 months to gain the weight when I started). I too had low patience, anger issues, and fits of tears when I started coming off. When I took my last pill I had flu symptoms, slept the w/e away, and very vivid dreams. It took a few weeks before the symptoms went completely away. I am very glad to be off it, but have to say it did wonders for the clinical/hormonal anxiety that made me go on it a few months after my daughter was born. I work out 4-5 times a week as well, don't eat perfectly, but not horridly either. I'm giving myself the 4-5 months that it took for the weight to go on before I get completely upset over it all. Good luck to you all!
Wow you inspire me!! Thanks
Hi, I've been off this stuff 14 long days now.  Had gained 50 pounds in the last year and unable to lose with low calorie low carb diet and exercise.  anyway in the last year i've also been diagnosed with pre diabetes.  Since I went off effexor my appetite has gone way down (at first that was b/c of nausea, but not any more).  My weight and blood sugar are much more stable and on a downward trend (fasting blood under 100 twice for the first time since I started measuring; weight has drifted from 189 to 185-186 in two weeks with almost no exercise (haven't felt well!)

extremely helpful has been my awesome ob/gyn prescribing 2 amino acid combinations, one for day one for night.  They cured nausea, dizziness and insomnia overnight and I think have helped with the irritability.  I'm still weepy but not as bad.  I didn't think the amino acids were going to help and was going to add prozac but waited a day and it was a blessed miracle.
It would be so helpful to hear more peoples experience with long term detox and weight etc.
WEEK 1 FROM 75mg TO 37.5mg EFFEXOR:
4/13/2013

I have been on Effexor for almost 3 years due to depression and gained 30 lb. didn't want to exercise, why? Cuz I didn't care. A bottle of wine every night. My appetite didn't change mostly on high protein and veggies. But lack of exaercise and wine didn't help my weight loss. So I thought would be a good time to cut off this med out of my system. By my doctor's recommendation I switched from 75mg to 37.5 - yes the withdrawal wasn't fun but manageable. One night of bad dreams - lots of bloody dreams:) killing people, etc... Day 2 a little better, no nightmares:) day 3 better than day 2. So after 4 days I felt so much better. So if I can do this so can you:) please give yourself some time. Now I'm ready to switch to 25mg or take those little monsters one off of the capsule every day. While starting my 37.5mg I also started taking Wellbutrin, to help me quit smoking and drinking less wine. It's been one week THE WHOLE PROCESS:) so Wellbutrin didn't help me to take less doses of Effexor. Wellbutrin itself takes one week to effect. How I feel: Great, more energy, caring about my body. I'm not sure why people who went through the same process as us didn't post anything after they tried being off Effexor:( so disappointing.
I will post my results as I go off this med so I can inspire you to do the same.

Lots of love to all. -m
Wow Miss_Susy_Q today I am going to the doctors to start weening myself off the Effexor. I was on 75 mg for 2 years, I was put on it cause I had breast cancer but I'm trying to do the natural thing now. I too gained 60lbs! I hope that getting off this stuff helps. I don't want the withdrawl symptoms but I need to change some how. I miss the spunky me.
Please keep posting because I am going to do the same thing starting today. I go to my doctors today. I'm on 75mg. Gained 40lbs in a year. Not good. I feel sluggish and not myself. Can't wait to be my spunky self again! Keep me updated (:
I am starting my journey today of going off effexor. I pray this helps with weight loss. Please let me know what amino acids you were percribed because I am going to the doctors today.
High dose of Magnesium will help your fibromyalgia.  I am taking 1000 mg in the morning and 1000 mg in the evening.  Both my PCP and Medical Oncologist know I am taking the dosage.  Some days i take an extra 500 in the afternoon and/or in the evening.
I wanted to share my Effexor experience ....with the hope that I can help many of you, and maybe some of you could share your insights, and help me as well. I was going through a stressful time at my job, and many people were getting laid off.  I was encountering what my therapist calls, situational-anxiety.  My therapist is a holistic-psychologist, and seems to be against traditional meds for the most part, but my Primary Care Physician was quick to prescribe me 75mg of Effexor.  Over the course of only one year to the month exactly, I gained 60lbs!  (The massive weight gain is what made me stop.)  Everytime, I weighed in at the doctors office, I gained 8lbs each visit.  My doctor advised me, most people lost weight on Effexor, that is the only reason I agreed to try it.).  

Let me first state, I used to be a personal trainer and fitness competitor.  I am very knowledgable about what it takes to be fit. I am 5'8" and I used to weigh on average 150lbs off season, and 138lbs when competing.  I now weigh 211lbs, and since stoping Effexor 6 months ago, my weight will not budge!  I have done a Gladiator Bootcamp, trained with a personal trainer on my lunch breaks,  I joined Crossfit, I eat protein shakes, I juice vegetables daily, and eat high protein, low carb, and lots of fish, I take supplements, I do cardio 3-5 times per week, and do not take in more than 1100 calories daily. I am starting to think ...I have developed hypothyroidism because I know my body, and I know something is definitely off! I am so frustrated....

Now to help others... I read endless blogs about getting off Effexor, and while I am not a doctor, I would like to share what worked for me to very easily get off Effexor without major withdraws.... I was at one point prescribed Prozac, and I had a left over bottle because it did not work well for me at all... But when trying to get off Effexor, it will be your perfect savior to get off Effexor with very little side effects.  I read on a psychiatrist blog, about how some doctor was doing the following with his patients... I read... to immediately transition one night to taking only take Prozac, the lowest dose, because Prozac has a longer half- life in your body.  Take the Prozac everyday for a week in place of your Effexor. Then, the next week, take one Prozac every other day. If necessary, go to the following week every other 2 days with the Prozac...by the 2nd week on Prozac,, I stopped cold turkey, and I had 0 said effects!  This worked for me very well.   So ...I hope my experience getting off this drug will help,many others not go through hell...

And, if anyone has anything to share about how to get this SNRI weight-gain off-please share your secrets to success.....because I am convinced my metabolism is forever changed!  I stopped Effexor in August of 2013. This is now almost April, and I have not succeeded in losing 1lb with all of my rigorous exercise and clean eating! Thank you :)
My situation is very similar to yours. I was on the drug for approx 1 year in the beginning I didn't notice much weight change, but I worked out regularly and was always conscious of what I was putting in my mouth then in the last 4 months on it I gained about 20 lbs. I've been off it for about 3 weeks (completely off...it took about 6 weeks to ween myself off) and I have continued to gain. I also think the effexor may have caused issues with my thyroid. Please let me know if you have learned more.
Hello Oceangirl11,  I left the comment above.. yours a while ago.. (I'm MsFitnessNY), and as more time has now passed.. I have learned more.. I went to see a Functional Medicine Doctor who is also a Chiropractic Doctor & Clinical Nutritionist. She extensively reviewed all of my medical tests for the last 5 years, pre-and post Effexor use. (Comprehensive Metabolic Panels, CBC panels, Creatine-Kinase Tests.. T3, T4 & TSH tests.. etc). She analyzed all ingredients in my vitamins & supplements, and a 10 page medical packet I filled out.  

After doing all of the above, she put me on an "elimination diet" where for 2 weeks, I eliminated all of the following: all artificial sweeteners (even Stevia), all dairy, nuts, gluten, complex carbs, processed foods.. (I know what is left right? LOL)   I was eating mainly fresh fruits, vegetables, eggs, bacon, fish & chicken, and I was doing my best to eat 5 meals a day, every 2 hours: 200 calories of a protein & 100 calories of low glycemic carbs) 3 meals & 2 snacks, and drinking a new type of protein I bought through her which has special liver detoxing benefits: it was called NuMedica: "Total Vegan" Vanilla Protein powder. (Mostly only doctors sell this, but I have seen it on Amazon.)  

Finally after almost 2 years off Effexor and with regular exercise, weightlifting, running, walking and  yoga and following her elimination diet, I started losing 1-2 lbs per day for 2 weeks straight!  Mind you, I have exercised and ate pretty clean all along during and after my 1 year on Effexor, but I learned through all of this and seeing her, that I had developed food intolerances to dairy products, and some types of nuts (cashews and almonds), and gluten. I lost 14lbs so far after doing the elimination diet and I am still continuing to lose as she tweaks my regimen when I hit plateaus.

I learned through the process of the elimination diet.. I had developed food intolerances to dairy, gluten and some types of nuts (almonds & cashews). (And I never had this before.)  Side note: I've also read in medical journal articles how Effexor changes the way our livers metabolize fats!

When someone has food intolerances or even food sensitivities.. it can keep you from losing weight!! This was truly eye-opening for me because over a 2 week period, I subtracted things from my diet like: all artificial sweeteners, complex carbs, gluten, nuts, dairy etc.. then, over the next 2 weeks, I added one of those eliminated things back once every 3 days to see how I tolerated them. For example, if I bloated out like I was 9 months pregnant and had stomach pain after eating nuts .. so I learned I have an intolerance, and intolerances halt weightloss efforts big time!!!

During the 2 weeks, I eliminated all of the above items.. I finally started dropping 1-2 lbs per day! It was amazing!!! Nothing else before this was working until now! Currently, I now do not eat any dairy products (not even coffee creamer that was hard), no almonds or cashews, and I've kept the weight off, and I am still continuing to lose!  Hope this helps if you decide to give it try.. everyone is different of course but this finally worked for me & is still continuing to work...
Also, my apologies if any of the above was slightly repetitive.. I was initially responding to two different posts in this thread, yours and another persons, but I just decided to combine my two responses into one.. LOL :)
One other thing I should note, in case you don't already know this.. Functional Medicine Doctors are not covered by health insurance, you have to pay out of pocket for all appointments, and tests.

However, I was very lucky that she only charged me $90 for all of the above help I received!  She normally charges $250 for the initial consultation and $447 for food allergy tests, $250, $100 etc. for a bunch of other extensive medical tests they usually only cover for cancer patients she said, but instead I had asked her if she could just analyze all of the previous tests I had requested over a 5 year period from my primary care doctor to save on cost!
I experienced the exact same symptoms as yours. I was on 300mg for 5 yrs and when it came to weaning myself off, I went down to 150mg and then stopped when I ran out. I suffered through the withdrawals which were absolutely horrible. When I started taking it, I only weighed 123lbs, now I weigh 212lbs. I've only been off it for a week, my withdrawals are completely gone and I have a ton of energy now. I feel like I can't stop talking, I always seem to want to dance my *** off when I hear music playing which is something I never had the energy to do before. I feel really great right now! I used Effexor in prior years but only for a year. I gained a ton of weight then too. At my highest, I weighed 187lbs. After coming off them that time, it took 3 months to get down to 123lbs. It fell off like nobody's business and I was eating all the time.

whoops.. ^ this was meant to be in response to Oceangirl11's post above your post.. I can't delete this? My apologies.. ?
Hi All,
I'm in very poor health due to an extremely painful genetic condition. I had taken effexor for years, Rx'd off-label for pain. I was never certain if it helped but all of my drs insisted it was and without it the pain would have been far worse. Around 2007 I had insurance & financial issues and simply couldn't afford to pay for all my meds. Effexor had to go. Yes. Severe vertigo and feeling horrible. But I did it. I did indeed lose weight but never put it together with cutting out the effexor. Still wasn't certain that it was a benefit at all to my pain but I will tell you one thing I did discover: While taking effexor I experienced amazing earth shattering orgasms and that was completely gone the effexor completely cleared my system. I hadn't put the connection together prior as I had assumed my better experience was due to a better partner. Sadly, not so much. I confided this to my endocrinologist who told me most experience sexual dysfunction on antidepressants but a small percentage of women will experience extra-orgasmic effects. She had me go back on 37.5 mg and yes, my amazing sex life returned! When I read people asking, "Why would anyone ever wish to take this poison?"  I can tell you, I definitely know one reason why! As time passed my pain management team again wanted me to increase the dose, in distant that it would help block the pain message getting to my brain. Still never certain that's ever worked. Now it's years later, I've been single 2 years with no prospects on the horizon. I've gained 50lbs whilst on the effexor over the last, what, 6+ years. I never put it together with effexor. I have a horribly poor appetite as pain keeps me eating and can also lead to vomitting. For years I kept track of every calorie and would report to my drs something was amiss. I never ate more than 1250 calories a day, an average day for me has been 750 calories. They either haven't believed me or have been mystified. One 10 day hospitalization the facts were in their face. I entered hospital and was weighed on the hospital scale, 199lbs. After a week in bed I told my nurse I felt heavy, she brought in a scale, I kid you not, I was 247lbs. Most important factor I neglected to mention, dr increased the effexor to 225mg during my stay. One dr in particular couldn't believe it. Refused to believe it. He demanded a pair of orderlies drag up the massive scale used in admittance. True enough, on the same scale I had weighed 199lbs about a week earlier I now weighed 242lbs. First, he started to argue that I hadn't gained the 48lbs they had first thought but 43lbs! I calmly asked if that really mattered? The point was that they knew exactly what I had been eating and my weight had gone up 20% in a period of less than 10 days. Ridiculous. After release I struggled and have been able to get my weight down to 220, then I plateau. Dr tried to insist it was all water but still, I asked how could that be? I was not hooked to IF and there was no way I was drinking 40lbs+ of water! I took the diuretics he Rx'd but still only got down to 220 in the year since that happened.
So now a different dr wanted me to start a different med for my condition but it was contraindicated with effexor. Again, I told him that I never really knew if the effexor helped with the pain as the pain has only continued to worsen. Convinced him it was time to dump the effexor once and for all and try the new med he thought may benefit my genetic illness. I'm single and not getting any anyway, right? I'm at day 5 of weaning down, down to 37.5 mg. Yes, I've had some vertigo and nausea. And yes,  maybe it has been helping with the pain because the pain level has definitely jumped a few notches. But sheesh, I've already lost 6lbs. Wtf? Swear to you, after all these years, today was the first day I googled, weight loss with effexor withdrawal and weight gain with effexor. I have to take so many medications I just assumed by telling my drs that I barely eat and have put on 50-60lbs over the last 6 years (90 if you count how high I went in hospital when they upped my dose) that one of them would figure out why or tell me that one of my meds was known for such weight gain. Nope. Not one.
Soon I will be completely off effexor. Fingers crossed I will lose the 50lbs or near to it! If there is another man in my life at some point, well, either I'll make him work harder or I'll investigate if there are other antidepressants out there that can offer me the same orgasmic bliss.
Good luck to us all!
Get off the Effexor A.S.A.P!!! I was on it for anxiety, and it made me go from super anxiety and emotional to numb! I hated it. I would rather feel something then nothing. Now...I was on 325mg for 4 months. I gained 30 pounds in that short period of time. I have been off the meds for 4 and a half months, exercise 4 to 5 times a week and on a 1200 calorie diet and can NOT seem to lose even 1 pound. Effexor was the worst mistake I even made.
I am so happy I found this thread. I started effexor in April 2014 and it is now almost September and I have gained 25lbs.  I know everyone is different and has different side effects but this medicine is the culprit for me. I have had gastric sleeve surgery and never had the appetite I have now that I am taking this medicine. And as someone else pointed out, I rather be thin and a little miserable than fat and happy. I am not even happy at this point because one of my biggest depression triggers is when I was extremely overweight before my surgery so now that I have gained weight, all those awful feelings are coming back. I am only on 37.5mg and I am going to start weaning myself off immediately. I hope I dont' have the awful side effects everyone is talking about. I am a single parent with 2 kids and I need to be functioning 100% of the time. I also take Prozac but have been taking if for years and have never had this problem like I've had with the Effexor.  I wish all of you the best of luck, hopefully we can move on and try something different or natural. These medicines cannot be good for our bodies.
I've been told the Effexor is no longer sold in the United States, but the generic venlafaxine is. I think it should be banned as well. Between Lexapro and Venlafaxine in the last year I have gained 60 + lbs. The venlafaxine caused bursitis in one of my knees, plantar faciitis in both feet, hypoglycemia, extreme heart palpitations, sweats, depression, edema of the feet and ankles, face, etc., the list goes on and on. I am weaning off of it now, and will never go on something like this again. I am glad it works for some people, but for me it has been a nightmare! After the first month, the side effects were getting severe enough for me to lose my job. I went to the doctor and told him the issues, he said I wasn't moving around enough. The problem at this point was the pain was so intense that I couldn't move, the depression was so bad, I didn't have the will to move. He doubled the dosage, and as you can imagine, things went from bad to worse.
back in the spring, i made the bold decision to begin weaning myself off on Effexor with my doctor's guidance.  i had been taking 150 mg for close to 10 years with 100 mg of Wellbutrin chaser.  Wellbutrin was the first to go in the spring.  no horrible side effects.  then i begin phasing out of Effexor.  150 mg to 75 mg to 37.5 mg with a full month on each reduced dosage.  not an easy journey.  the headaches and brain shivers were horrible at first, but things have leveled off for now.  well, i am down to 37.5 mg... BUT my weight has gone UP 15-20 pounds since june! it's unbelievable how much weight i've packed on.  i've gone from 165 to 180+ in a matter of weeks!  the triumph of getting off Effexor has been overshadowed (literally) by my EVER-growing backside.
I was taking venlafaxine for 2 years and went from 135 to 175lbs. I've now been off for 2 months and have already gone down about 8lbs without even trying. I can especially notice the puffiness in my face has subsided. Venlafaxine was great for giving me this "not a big deal" attitude all the time but I didn't realize by me using this to ease out on my low frame of mind I was sacrificing any highs I ever feel. I really believe it should be taken off the market, I have a couple of friends who are on it and their vibrant personalities are now dulled out. Getting off venlafaxine was the best thing I've ever done for myself, I know now how to identify my hapiness and thrive on it without taking those moments for granted.
I made the same mistake with Lexapro…worst thing I ever did and totally afraid I will never be able to lose this weight.  I've been totally off for 3 weeks and no change on the scale.  I am still kind of hungry but not as intense as I was when weaning and the first 2 weeks off.  I just don't seem to have the will power I've had in the past.  So, it must be the cravings from this horrible class of medicines.  What I can't believe is that the doctors won't believe it and they don't weigh in (no pun intended) on how to lose this lousy weight.  Mine said, nobody will feel sorry for you, your BMI is still in range and that REALLY ticked me off.  I worked hard to be the weight I was and had stayed at 118 pounds for 8 years…then I went up to 134 on this ridiculous Lexapro.  I did feel great and not anxious at all but when I realized none of my clothes fit, that itself made me anxious. So I went off on my own..no doctor consultation.  I weaned from 10 to 5 mg for 2 weeks and then off.  Had some headaches and dizziness (still dizzy) but I think the worst of that is over (I hope).  Now, why doesn't the weight just fall off…why can't they tell us how to make that happen?  Lousy medicine and lying doctors!
i am on effexor since 1 year.  but with ablify as well.  i gained 25 kg.  i dont know is it the effexor or the ablify or its is the mix of both, probably it is the worst mix for weight gain.  i am now off effexor since only two weeks.  still planning that i get off the ablify.  it seems from all comments even if i stopped all medication there is nothing magical that will get me back to my original weight :(  yes drs dont acknowledge its the effexor, but they sure admit the ablify is the cause, but i beleive that both did this to me.  now i am stressed more from weight gain than my depression.  i promise if i get any better in weight loss i will post again here.
I have been in Effexor for 7 years now and have recently decided to ween myself off. 2 weeks at 75 from 150 and now at 37.5 for 2 weeks. Having withdrawals of course and severe back pains. Anybody else having this issue with their back? Also, over the course of 7 years I have put on 30 pounds. I do my best to jog or power walk 20 miles a week.
I'm Emma Holden.I'm new and I'm excited to be here. Hoping to learn more about living a simple but productive life.
Also hoping that I can share some tips that have helped me with others!
You've heard it before: To shed pounds, essentially eat less and practice more. In principle, that bodes well. Really, it's not simply in principle—science has demonstrated that blazing a bigger number of calories than you devour will bring about weight reduction. However, the inconvenience is this just has fleeting results. For long haul weight reduction, it essentially doesn't work, say famous stoutness specialists in  JAMA commentary.
Started weaning off Effexor because of insurance issues. I was only on 75mg for two years. But when I went off Effexor completely over the holidays my husband had to run out and get me a refill-- I thought I was going to have a seizure! Now I'm off completely. The dizziness, nausea, and brain shivers/pops have subsided. I'm 21 lbs heavier than I was when I started taking Effexor. And despite eating extremely healthy and exercising intensely 2-4 times weekly... still gaining. I'm way more unhappy than I ever was when I first started this medication. Going to a doctor in a few days for blood tests--hoping to get something to help what is clearly f-ed up hormones. Why is this not a class action lawsuit?
Thanks for sharing.  I gained 30 lbs while on 150mg of effexor for almost a year. It took 6 weeks to gradually come down to not taking it at all.. thankfully no side effects.  Now waiting to see what happens with the weight.  I already feel a couple pounds lighter though.  It's nice to see success stories in these blogs.

This was my weaning plan from 150mg for those who are struggling:
112.5mg for 3 weeks
75mg for 2 weeks
37.5 mg for 1 week

I'm on my second day of not taking it at all and I'm side effect free so far!

Now that I'm off, I'm so enjoying the spunk that I didn't realize was even missing!.  So much more energy now without sacrificing the insight gained while on it.
I've been trying to get off the horrid stuff for two weeks. Like you i was on 150mg (for about 2 years give or take) and then down to 75 for a month then 37.5 for what was meant to be a month, but i tried ending 2 weeks early. The side effects after 3 days without were horrendous, with dizziness and mild brain zaps - however nothing compared to when i would runout of my prescription on 150. I am so incredibly upset about all the weight i put on from it - about 12 kg! Which makes a HUGE difference since i was very slender, often getting called anorexic- but i wasn't. I ate like a trooper. My boobs have gone up atleast 2 sizes and I'm at uni - i can't afford to buy new bras and clothes! but nothing fits me! i feel like I'm more depressed than i was prior to going on them due to this FAT! I haven't had a tablet since 5 days ago and trying to push past the symptoms cause i don't want to cave and have another again.

Anyway, as long-winded as that was, i was wondering how you are feeling now? i know it has only been about 2 weeks for you. have you seen any weightless? I'm desperate!!! I work out 2 times a day and watch what i eat and if anything I'm putting on. Iv never been this strict and 'fit' in my life, yet I'm the fattest!
Im so desperate to lose this effexor weight!

how are you feeling now? are you still feeling free? i can't wait for that! i still tear up over the smallest things such as things that i read or the news! and i still feel really light headed and in a daze but I'm hoping they will ease up soon. was this the case for you?

Been Effexor free for 6 weeks.  After reading up on the effects of Effexor on the metabolism, I have been doing  the following to reboot the metabolism with steady results!

- Taking Renew Life Critical Liver Support capsules (liver learned to metabolize fat differently while on meds and I want to restore previous function)
- To replenish the adrenals, I'm taking AOR Ortho Adapt.  It contains rhodiola rosea and ashwaganda.  
- To introduce/replenish beneficial gut bacteria, I'm taking a good probiotic Renew Life Ultimate Flora probiotic.  
- Drinking 2 litres of water every day
- Exercising 4-5 times a week.  I jog, take brisk walks and do basic resistance exercises to tone and build some muscle.
- Keeping food mostly plant based and basically choosing foods which support all of the above.

Besides having so much more energy since getting off the meds, I am definitely seeing a difference in my body and getting my spunk back!  It's slow but it's steady so you just have to have patience and keep at it.

I hope this site doesn't mind me mentioning the brands of products which I use.. do your own research and choose what you feel is best for you.  I just mentioned what I chose for me..Oh yes, and I also take a multi-vitamin, Omega 3, Vitamin D and Braggs Apple Cider vinegar (1 tablespoon in a small glass of water and just down it). Make sure to get the Braggs which is sold in a glass bottle rather than a plastic bottle.

Google rebooting your metabolism and you'll come up with the information that will work for you.
Can anyone give positive weightloss feedback after coming off effexor? Not copying well with this gain iv been trying desperately to budge for the last 1 and half years.

Thanks! Im obviously desperate!
Thanks for taking the time out to give help and advice hope all is well for you . i was doing the HIIT workout whilst i was on the venlafaxine and zopiclone however my then psychiatrist took me off the zopiclone which i was on for 5 years and he took me off it way too fast!! i started getting bad withdrawals and when i tried doing my regualar 30 minute a day hiit workout after it i would go into a seizure like state brain felt like it was gonna come through skull i lost the ability to smell i felt like i was in another world absolutely terrifying .... i havent been able to workout now for 8 months i am currently withdrawing from venlafaxine down to 75mg from 135.mg and i will be then put onto sertraline, i was wondering if you have experienced anything like this and do you know how long this will last i lost 2 stone in the space of a year and now i fear i will gain that weight back fast now i cant do the exercise thanks
I've been off effexor for about a month now.  Got back to exercising and eating better.. scale hasn't budged but I do feel better.  Just came the following link which makes sense.  Basically says that the adrenals need help to get back to being properly functioning.. and that makes sense since they get so drained when dealing with chronic stress.  Adrenals have so much connection with the metabolism.  
Thank you so much for sharing this. I am in such an angry, disillusioned, desperate state about being put on this traumatizing med. I am withdrawing now bout week and a half... After 5-6 years on Effexor XR... And "Tapering" off  since Nov/Dec 2015. Thirty additional pounds- UNMOVEABLE-that every doc denied. As a very lean athlete/dancer growing up and gym rat for life. My four-pack abs are long gone-if muscle exists there anymore I go into cardiac arrest. I've been scouring website for som hope on the weight gain end at least. Not much shows... Your post has given me some hope.
I totally get how you feel.. Good news though...It seems to be working for me!!  Been Effexor free for 6 weeks - weight according to a scale is coming down slowly, and I definitely am seeing difference in my measurements. Just need to stay disciplined and patient..  The Effexor did it's job but I will NEVER EVER EVER deal with stress via meds again though!
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!  

- Drinking 2 litres of water every day

I hope this site doesn't mind me mentioning the brands of products which I use.. do your own research and choose what you feel is best for you.  I just mentioned what I chose for me..
Oh yes, and I also take a multi-vitamin, Omega 3, Vitamin D and Braggs Apple Cider vinegar (1 tablespoon in a small glass of water and just down it). Make sure to get the Braggs which is sold in a glass bottle rather than a plastic bottle.

I am just coming off effexor and am now down to 75mg a year. Whilst I have gained quite a bit of weight, I know that I needed effexor to help me deal with my depression. I have been through counselling and now have strategies in place to help me cope. Had I NOT been on effexor,  I never would have made it through the fog of depression. I would not have had the ability to listen properly to my psychologist and I certainly would not have been able to cope day to day. I feel for everyone who suffers from depression but each person is on their own journey and sometimes medication is the ONLY way you can function. Do whatever works for you and worry about the weight issues when you are in a better place mentally
Hi everyone I never normally post but I am 2 years after coming off Effexor after it caused me to have an absolute breakdown, outrageous levels of social anxiety, electric shocks, paralysing brain fog and motivation issues and then an onset of awful symptoms relating to digestion, leaky gut, memory loss, food intolerances and 15kg of pure fat weight gain around my stomach. After many hours of research and tests and going down various route with Gastro, internists, Naturopath's, neurologists, gynae, endocrinologists and hours of crying and having to leave two jobs, I finally discovered that the cause is actually that Effexor causes adrenal exhaustion. Not just fatigue but full on exhaustion. It depletes your norepinephrine receptors which impacts excessive cortisol production to the point of flooding   you may recall going through phases of feeling wired and having massive pupils. This is how it starts or when u realise the extent of something wrong. Once the cortisol is over producing and wearing out it draws on the energy from other bodily functions to survive hence why leaky gut, constipation, libido, thyroid, panic attacks and weight gain elements kick in and the recovery takes some time but after working now on purely natural remedies i am starting to be me again.  Wish  you all the best I truly know that this is a terribly long recovery but if you stop trying to fix the individual elements that are ailing you and just work with a therapist to restore your adrenals naturally you will start to recover from Effexor damage.