Support from Spouse
I've been trying to lose weight and I've asked my husband to help me with my diet and exercise. He loves to bake and is constantly making cakes or cookies or cupcakes. He never wants to walk with me in the evenings. We can't afford a gym membership with two people but even if we could I doubt he'd go with me. When I'm at the store for groceries and I'm trying to get fresh food and healthy options he hems and haws about how we need to watch our budget and not spend a lot of money on groceries. Its so depressing sometimes and I don't know how to confront him about it. Does anyone have suggestions on how to broach the subject or encourage him to join me in my goals? Also some suggestions on how to eat healthy on a strict budget would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
I can't get my husband on board with my diet either.  I want him to eat better and watch the portions he eats, but he is stubborn and tells me not to tell him How or What to eat  :(  
I have decided that I cannot change him.... I can only change myself. My husband eats lots of breads, cakes, sodas, sweat tea, and Blue Bell Ice Cream.... that is his favorite thing. Those will always be in our buggy when we shop together   :)  
So I almost always shop without my husband.... not sure if that is an option for you? I do all of the cooking, and make plans for what I will cook each day (or cook enough for left overs) making a menu and grocery list for those items makes it easier to stick to your plan, and you can take time to look at labels and make better choices. Helps with finding coupons too!  It takes a great deal of time at first, but once you shop that way a few times, you start getting better at it.  I started with small changes to how I cook, and the ingredients I use, and he hasn't seemed to notice that it is low fat or low calorie. For instance, we eat a lot of butter.... so one of the things I buy is the "spray butter" (no calories and it tastes just as good as real butter on toast).  Whole milk is another change.  I now buy skim milk and have found that not all skim milks are the same.  Wal-Mart skim milk looks and taste almost like whole milk, so he doesn't complain. :)    
It's not always easy when your spouse doesn't work with you.... but your not alone... and you can do it!
Thanks for the encouraging words. He's the bread winner so I kinda have to bring him with me. He makes these yummy things like fries cheese stix and then offers them too me. Even after I tell him to stop tempting me. I'm usually pretty good but when I get close to my moon cycle my impulse control goes out the window. Mostly I try to control my serving size when I eat junk food. That way I don't get discouraged too much :)
He sounds like a good cook? I say don't fight it.... use that to YOUR advantage!  I know I see tons of recipes on Facebook and Pintrest, maybe start off by printing one of the easier, "healthier" ones and ask him to try making it.  Don't emphasis the "healthy" point, in fact don't even mention that it's good for you or low calorie, or anything.  (delete that on the recipe if it says it)... just that it looks easy and sounds yummy and "you just wondered if he could make it"....Make him feel as if "he" can bring that recipe to life in "his" kitchen.  A soup, a vegetable dish, casserole, or even a dessert. He may take the bait! He's a man, probably like the one I have (LOL).... stroke his ego ..... hey, it really works!  
I'm a special education teacher and have lots of "behavior modification" training.  I use it on my husband all the time :)
Good Luck to you!
Rochelle
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
moonpiebaby commented on moonpiebaby's status
Feb 08
moonpiebaby 30 days out from getting th... Comment
Feb 08
TinaR10 commented on TinaR10's status
Jan 26