A white nipple discharge - mostly only extracted when squeezed
About a year ago, I began experiencing a thick white nipple discharge protruding out of my nipples. I wasn't sure what it was so I tried to get it off and then realized that it was coming out of my nipple and squeezed it out. I was completely freaked out. I could see a clear opening from where the discharge had come. I had pierced my nipple about 6 months before this happened, but it wasn't until after I had removed the ring for a few months that I started to experience this discharge. Since then, I have continued to experience the discharge with some regularity (this has continued for over a year), and the discharge has remained the same - still think and white, and still needs to be extracted even though I can see it underneath the skin or it may begin to protrude on it's own.
Also, a month or two after the first one started, I began to check out the other nipple. If I poked around at it - I could get similar results. I am a 26-year-old woman, who has never been pregnant (there was no chance of that happening when this began either). What do I do? I am slightly embarrased by this, I have kind of bounced it around some of my friends, and no one has experienced anything like this. Even a friend of mine who also used to have a pierced nipple (I thought that was the cause at first). Do I need to do a biopsy? Mammogram? I am so young, but the more I research it on the internet, the more freaked out I am by the potential problems that could result. I did have my prolactin tested about a month ago by my OBGYN (dont know results yet) and she didn't think it was a big deal. help.
Hi Im 27 and I have had a clear/ white discharge from both breast since I was about 17 or 18.( in high school) I have never had my nipples pierced.(Ouch) !! The discharge is only when the nipples are squeezed  and I experience no pain. One day I notice something white just posted on the tip of my nipple. It was kinda like a lil paste. I played with it then squeezed and their it was something clear and white coming out. I thought that it would go away but still to this very day it is there, I seen my DR. about this and she being a OBGYN stated that it is because of a Hormonal Imbalance. I was on BC at a young age and this may have started this situation. I got pregnant at 23 (first pregnancy ever) I was worried that the STUFF coming out would effect my baby because I wanted to breast feed, BUT it didnt and my Big Girl is healthy and smart!!! Jus wanted to share with all !!  Hope everyone is WELL !!!  
I am 28 years old... never been prego and I dont have any of my nipples pierced. For the past 4 months now, I have notice the samething.. When I squeeze one of my nippies, a white thick discharge comes out. I have notice that this only happens to me when I start ovulating. HOWEVER... I most say that I was on birth control for many years and this never happened before until I stopped taking birth contol pills. This is very odd....
i am 22 i got my nipple done back in 2008 i had them in a few months and when i took them out like 2 months there was this white discharge come out of my nipple. like most of you on here mine is not think at all when i squeezed my nipple it come out its more like milky discharge it don't have pain or any thing like that i just what to know if any body can tell me what is going on is this a normal thing form the piercing or is something going  and i need to see a doc i had both piercing and they both have discharge the left one all ways have more
My boyfriend frequently ***** on my nipples during foreplay, and for the past month or two he said he has been getting tiny amounts of a clear, sweet-tasting discharge after a period of time spent sucking. I've done research and this is normal, it is a pre-lactation fluid that comes from the breasts being suckled, as a child would do.
I have 2 children, my youngest is 2.  I had an IUD put in 3 weeks ago, and the last week has been awful.  My nipples are very swollen and sore.  I think it might be from the change in hormones?? Anyone else experience this??
this may be odd anyways when i was 15 i had the same problem..i went to a OBGYN and i had a lump they found they squeezed my breast and they had white stuff also....Two weeks later i was in for surgery they removed my milk ducks so now i cannot breast feed.. I was 15 and i was leaking like i was pregnant when i wasnt.
I had my nipples pierced when I was 18 and took them out when I was 22. Since then the same thick odorless gunk comes out when I squeeze them. I have brought it u to my gyno and she basically ignored me. Thanks for all the posts they have def calmed my nerves...guess this is a normal thing.
im 13 and ive never had my nipples peirced. i have a white puss like coming out of Both of nipples. im not pregnant. but this has been happening for a year and a half now and i havent told anyone in my family about this. so can someone please help me with this situation?
my ears were pierced 18yr ago,and i took them out about 13yr ago,and i have never had any discharge from them at all(NOTHING) and now have had my nipple done 4 days ago,and its starting to discharge and puss,i have been told by the doctor that its just untill it heals properly,like my ears,and that i should never get this once it is totally healed up,it is the bodys way of stopping infection getting in.
I have my nipples pierces. I have the thick gunk that comes out of the nipples holes and the top of the nipple when the nipple alone is squeezed. When the whole breast is sqeezed clear and while drops of liquid come out. Both forms of have been coming out for 2 years now.

ONE: The thick gunk is piercing related, normal, and may never go away.
TWO: the clear and white liquid is also totally normal. You don't have to be pregnant to lactate.
I have got exactly the same symptoms - no piercings ever.

I was told that the more you check for it the more you stimulate production, so the key is to stop squeezing! I went to my GP about it about 7 years ago and he sort of said "yeah? so? - don't worry about it and stop squeezing"! We may have high prolactin but that is usually due to something totally normal and not worrying.

Hope your tests were OK
I get the same thing without ever having had a child or having my nipples pierced. Whitish spots appear on my nipples, that I squeeze out once a week or so to give a white, solid discharge. It's never sore or smelly, never any blood. My doctor didn't seem worried, said it's very common and can be a mix of milk, dead cells etc. The only time to worry is if it is ever painful, bloody, smelly or greeny-yellow (can indicate infection).

While we're on the subject, self-check as often as you can. The most important thing is to know what is normal for YOU as no woman is the same. It's any changes from your normal that indicate a problem, not how you compare to other people, so consult your doctor if anything looks or feels different to normal.
Hi everyone.
I remember last year when I first saw those discharges and read stuff in here. and now I have a big story to share.
I'm f. 24. no breast piercing, not married, no children, virgin, regular periods  etc. etc.

First, I had discharges from my breasts. both left & right. Sonograms didn't show anything. The prolactin level was not high either.

Discharges from my right breast stopped, while a lump formed in my left breast, close to nipple and it always had discharges. Excatly the same as what you say.
I had discharges everyday, liquid while, yellow with bad smell. then after 1 week or 10 days, a big hard thing came out of that lump and then the cycle went on again. liquid things for 7-10 days and then hard thing.

I did the sonography 2 times, each with an expert. I also checked with my dermatologist. They all said that it is sebaceous and not to worry about. Only one of the sonologists said that she sees a track going from that lump into my breast tissue.

My breast surgeon doctor did a sonography at her office. She was suspicious that this is not sebaceous. she decided to do an excision and biopsy. well the result?
first of all, that lump was NOT sebaceous AT ALL.  
It was not malignant, but it was "intraductal papilloma", which is a benign but should be removed because it increases the risk f breast cancer.

Now that I search " intraductal papilloma" I find tones of web pages, stating that this may cause breast discharges. But before that I didn't know this I couldn't find any of these pages.

So be aware and check everything and ask your doctor to do a biopsy if possible. People are shocked when they hear about my situation. No one believes that a girl at my age might have this thing.

Take a good care of yourself.

hi i have the same problem with my pierced nipple and am now 8 months pregnant and am guessing i have to take it out tto breast feed, do i have to take it out and will the white stuff affect my baby? can anyone help?
This is not an infection, when you pierce the nipples you create a space between some of the milk/oil producing cells which they in turn fill with milk/oil. My wife had this issue and she was super worried so I took her to the doctor and he explained it as such. Even if you have had the rings out for years, these glands may have continuously produced enough fluid and pressure to prevent the hole from properly closing, and it may never properly close, but it is in fact nothing serious. The only time you need to worry is if there is pain, redness, swelling, or if the discharge has an odor or is a color other than white.
I have been wondering about this for some time.  I can now see that I am definitely not alone in the matter.  My nipples were pierced for about 3-4 years, then I took the rings out when I became pregnant.  My obgyn had told me that there was nothing to worry about due to the fact that the nipples had been pierced and that I could breast feed.  I stopped breast feeding when my daughter was 9 mo. and after my milk dried up I still noticed this white discharge coming out. Three years later, I am still experiencing the same thing.  I have since realized that it was from having them pierced previously and freak out about the fact that my daughter was probably ingesting the stuff with the breast milk.  I have no idea if that was harmful, I know it sounds really disgusting though.  I think this is something that our doctors should be addressing when we are pregnant.  Is the pus harmful to our baby?  What kind of affect will it have, if any, on the baby?  The discharge should probably be tested in order for our doctors to be more aware of the actual hazards if there are any.   My daughter has shown no signs of anything being wrong with her, and I am a stay at home mom so I am with her all the time.  Just glad I am not alone.  Thank you everyone for sharing.  
I am a 19 year old woman and have the same problem. I have been experiencing a whitish disharge from my nipples every once in a while for a few years now. I have never been pregnant or had my nipples pierced. I don't know if I should go to the doctor or ignore it. It doesn't seem very harmful yet though...
hi im experiencing the same thing right now...took it out cuz i got pregnant.. i breastfed for 2 years..now 6 months later when i squeeze my pierce nipple white puss comes out with odor.. and my nipple is itching..hope this is normal
Hi. Its wierd coz im a 21 year old male and got my nipple pierced about 5 years ago and have had it out for about a year and a half. And i get the same white substance when i squeeze my nipple. Its kinda wierd. Specially being that im a male. And its embaracing. I havnt told anyone. But am considering telling my GP. Just to get some closure on it. Ile post back when i get a result. Thanks for sharing ur experiences.
Ok hi all idk wha 2 do in earlii june 2010 id say i moved in wit ma feonce now one day i was about to take a shower wen outta nowea i did a self breast exsam n felt a lump on my right brest right outside the areola now i got mad nervous cuz im bipolar so i called in ma feonce freddy n he called ma mom who used 2 b a nurse she sed 2 put cold n hot compresses like alternate on n off so i did it got worse i went to go visit ma mom in august of 2010 n say my ob/gyn n she sed it was a 2cmm mass n she suggested i c a breast surgon i went he sed nada serious n does an ultra sound 2 make sure n then he drained it n doenst giv me antibiotics nor does he even cover it no baindaide nada so i go home n in september i come bak home so then around sept 13th i got bad chest n breast pain go 2 d er n the dr has 2 admit me cuz its now an absess that can kill me the surgon comes in n sez 6 more mnths i wulda givin u if u ddnt come in 2nite that was in septemeber 2010 now here it is january 2011 n i am still here seein ma dam surgon cuz i had 2 get 2 surgeries cuz the first one he left some of the infection in it was so bad n now last nite it popped n it started bleeding like not the dark blood u get from ur period like kinda thick blood but bright red n then today i was gunna take a shower and now i have a string hanging outta it i am very scared and i am biplar n nervous im 22 i jus need help!! Plzzzzz :/ thanxxx
I'm glad I found this site, because I have had the same odd white thick discharge come only from where my nipple was once pierced.  I had my nipples pierced, stupidly, about 11 years ago, and after about 4 years of the discharge I went to my OB/GYN who tested it to make sure it wasn't an infection, and it turned out to be all right and nothing was wrong.  This is normal and just a consequence we get for messing with our nipples :P  Sadly to say it's been 11 years since I pierced my nipples and I STILL get the discharge and have to squeeze it out every couple of weeks or so.  Thankfully it's only really happening with one of my nipples, but it makes sense that our body recompensates for the holes we've made and therefore pus is created.  It's not the end of the world, just clean it out every so often and you'll be fine :)  
I had my nipples pierced for nearly 5 years and took them out for the military. They have been out for 6 months before I had a thick discharge come from the man made holes. My nipples are also very sore. I haven't asked a Dr. about it yet. I am also a medic and a RN, it doesn't seem to be an infection or anything serious. I don't know what could be going on...
I always wondered about this issue.  When I was 17 I got nipple piercings and took them out within 2 years.  Now I'm 27 and have been having the same periodic, white, funky discharge you all spoke of that I can squeeze out of the holes and my nipples.  Definitely not the coolest side effect.  But I didn't know it was possible to breastfeed afterward, because I had heard it wasn't and was very upset with my ignorance at the time I got pierced.  Not that I'm having any kids for awhile longer, yet it is good to know that it is possible.  I hate the idea of denying my future kid the awesomeness that is breast milk!  Sadly, I am one of the 10% or so who has lost most sensitivity in my nipples... So win some, lose some?  :-/  For the girls who may fear embarrassment, I've not had any problems with guys exploring the area... :-)  Anyway, thank you all for sharing your experiences and easing my anxiety about the issue!
hey your comment does kinda help me I have had my nipples priced for 1 and 1/2 years now and am not planning on taking them out any time soon but im having the weird discharge coming from my nipples and not the piercing site as well and am going to go have it looked at on Tuesday. hopping its just hormones or something related to my bc and nothing serious.
Dear all,
I am 15 yr old,not sexually active, and i havent had my period yet, and have no peircings. well i was in the shower and i saw some white stuff protruding out of both nipples. so i just decided to squeeze them and like a pimple some white solid came out. I dont want to worry my mom about this experience but could this be my cycle just starting to come. im kinda scared.please help me

-sincerly,
                                                                 Shyanne
Same thing. Over here. I have had my nipples pierced twice and the old holes produce the white stuff after my second time of taking them out the right produced some out of the front of the nipple w a slight odor (minute really. Like my gauges when I take them out at night). Its no big deal keep it clean. I use a patchouli neroli solution in vitamin e oil when I express them and it has decreased the build up immensely.
I had my nipples pierced at 28 and left them in for a couple of years then removed them. The thick funky discharge was there and has continued on during the last 11years. It's exactly like the thick white stuff that clogs your ears after being pierced and you remove your earring. I was able to breast  feed our son for 2years with absolutely no issues except a little leakage from the piercing holes while using the breast pump. Some bouts with mastitis that had nothing to do with the piercings according to the doctor.  He's now 3 and the thick, funky discharge is back....no biggie!
I have many piercings. I have done them all by myself and never had an infection (tongue, lip, nipples, eyebrow, 6 in each ear, top and bottom belly button and my nose)  have never had the white thick discharge except for a piercing that i have taken out to close it up. my nipples have just gotten redone after my pregnancy, I had my doctor do a look over to make sure it was ok to breast feed. He told me that there was nothing wrong with my nipples and it would not effect breast feeding. If u have not had your nipples pierced and u r getting this problem, it is a must u get them check out cause it could lead to breast cancer. I am a tattooist and i do piercings, it is my job on a daily basis and i see many horrible infections people come in with from other places. This young lady came into my shop one day, she had gotten her nipples done at a differnt place and showed me and asked for help. she had a horrible infection, possibly staff, she had RED RED lines shooting off of the tip of her nipple going all the way to the outside part of her boob. I sent her to the doctor come to find out if she would have waited any longer she would have lost her boob. The kind of nipple ring the guy put in when he pierced them were a cheep kind and because of the brand of metal it left shards of metal inside the new piercing. She got meds and let them close, had me redo them and she hasnt had a problem since.Just look out for odd symptoms
I am 29 years old never had children I have small breast with inverted nipples never had a piercing oh my never!!!!! But I have white discharge that comes out every day, I notice it when I'm showering I've been really worried about it, my doctor says its nothing to be worried about but I feel so grossed out and scared about it. So thank you so much for your posting it helps a little I will be getting it checked again by a different doctor any info really helps and goes a long way
I had my nipples pierced for 8 months I took them out cuz 1 didnt heal right & its been about 7 months since I took them out. I was looking at the scars where they were and noticed a good size hole still. So I squeezed a little and an off white liquidy substance came out I was just about devastated lol so I did it again & there was more? So I checked out the other side and squeezed a little and there was also a white substance only much thicker. Not sure why im just noticing it. But i did recently find out that im pregnant. So its hard to say what it is now! But sounds like it just has something to do with having a foreign object in your skin at some point. I will ask my dr about it and about the breastfeeding cuz its apparent im going to need to know that as well.
What about the liquid coming out 4rm 1 of the hole of the niples, cud this mean im pregnant, it only came out once
Thanks so much for ur comment. My situation is more like urs. I don't have any pericings  but still get a lumpy discharge from my nipples. I have two kids and breast fed them both. I thought this discharge will go away but it didn't. Now I know that I m not alone!
hello i m 17 year old male but my breact nipple come white cells
plz rep me what is this and how treatment this
you need to get to Dr immediately!  I had same problem...put off going for 3yrs because I could soak it in saline and it would get better.  Now I have an infection so bad deeply in milk ducts that I am getting ready to have my 2nd surgery to remove breast tissue-----they don't know how much they will have to take.  GO TO DR!
The **** were you soaking it in saline for?!!!
That's just creating the perfect environment for bacteria to swim around all over. You turned your breast into a culture for the bacteria!

NEVER soak infections in saline, unless you want to try to create a liquid culture of everything growing all over the submerged area.
I have both my nipples pierced, but I had an excellent piercing artist who informed me before she pierced my nipples what the bumps on my areola are, and why we all have them. She told me ( to put it simply) that those bumps are connected to our milk ducts. The way mine were aligned, if and when she were to pierce my nipple the needle would come into contact with  one of those little areola bumps which is connected to my milk duct tract. This would be true for both breasts.
Which would mean that around that time of the month (either a little bit before, during or after menstration) I would experience a white/clear (or both) discharge. She also said you never want greenish dischage, this could be signs of an infection. She told me to not be alarmed, and that this white/clear stuff is normal. During menstration your hormones are working hard. Your breast enlarge a bit and with a hole in your nipple there is only one place for extra fluid to go, and that is out.
Squeeze it, clean it just know what it is. Your breasts are attempting to do what they are built to do, and that is produce milk. Your body does that every month, every cycle.That's why are breast get swollen, and tender around that time of the month. You wont make milk, just that fun, thick, whiteish, clearish' stuff we all speak so highly of.

I am so glad my piecer was a woman with nipple piercing, and I am glad she shared this with me. I've had my nipples pierced for 2 years now and I love them.

If you have never had your nipples pierced don't be alarmed there is a natural hole there. I know mine because when I was younger ( and my breasts were developing) I would squeeze my nipples and clear fluid would come out, back then it freaked my out. But the moment she explained it to me, it took me back to my younger days and made me realize that my body was "waking up", my hormones were "starting their engines if you will."
She also told me that this would most likely never go away. She assured me that this would not affect breast feeding.

She gave me knowledge, and information, which in turn gave me peace of mind.

I hope I have done the same.
I have all had the same experience. I got both my nipples pierced 9 years ago when I turned 18. I took them out about 9 months ago and started to have the white puss come out both nipples where the holes were. I can see white bumps on other a few other spots and I can also extract them. The puss does smell a little so I always wonder if my boyfriend can smell it too. Also during and after I had my piercings whenever I get really cold, my boobs hurt, does anyone have that problem? Do you think that if I stopped messing with extracting the puss, the holes would close completely and stop. I also had my ears gaged but took those out about 7 years ago and they still smell sometimes or if I wear regular sized earrings, why does that still happen?
I'm 22 about to be 23 & I too have PCOS & had my nipples pierced a year ago & every since I took them out now when I squeeze my nipples I have white stuff come out. I was worried because I haven't had a period in 6 months & have breast soar & tenderness so I began to search the discharge up. Glad to know I'm not alone! I too feel much better after reading this post!
i have bunps on my nippled that when in the shower the wholes open up and white hardish soft long stuff comes out .i also have implants isvthis normal
Seems like to me with all the woman who are having problems with this discharge from our breasts the doctor would take this more seriously and come up with answers instead of its ok...nothing wrong, there is always something wrong when you have a discharge coming from any part of your body..Listen up doctors out there....We Want Answers.....  
I had mine pierced for about a year and took them out about four months ago. They are oozing white thing stuff from where the peircings where but a clear/ white liquid is coming out the middle where the peircings weren't at. Idk what it all is I shouldn't be pregnet bc I am on the pill and on my period. It's just freaking me out having it coming out of the middle of my nipple. It doesn't smell and didn't happen when I had the peircings in. Should I go to a doctor?
I have been experiencing discharge from my nipple and my breast has been very sore ....the pus is yellowish and sometimes has a little blood in it...and when I squeeze it it pours out sometimes...any suggestions
You need a doctor. Infection or worse. Blood should NEVER come out your nipples.
I'm 29. No nipple piercings. Never pregnant. Have one inverted nipple (Right) and one regular nipple (Left). I have the areola dot things that produce white substance and can produce a thick white substance from both my nipples.
I've been doing this since I was 14. It's 100% NORMAL. The areola pimple like dot things just produce oil. The nipple discharge is normal too.

The only thing you should be concerned about, is if there is blood mixed in with the discharge. Sometimes the nipple discharge can be white, green, cream colored to even black (mine have always white though)

The nipple discharge can be a couple different things from, cleansing oily discharge, premilk to dead skin mixed with the oil. Or puss with piercings.

It's nice that there is a community to talk about this stuff. As a young teen going through this, I felt alone and, discussing it with a doctor was embarrassing. My middle school health teacher explained it to me. A doctor backed it up years later after I grew up a little and felt more comfortable talking about it.

I always felt like a weirdo though, having just one inverted nipple :-/ but, as I've matured and experienced different partners, I've grown fond of my nipples. Though communities like this make me feel not so alone and different. I'm also happy to read that I'm not the only one who experiences both discharges from my nipples and areolas. Although, doctors will tell you its common and normal, it helps to see it from real people.
So I guess the white discharge is normal? I had my nipples pierced 2 years ago. They are still in, but I thought it was an infection or something. They don't hurt, but my nipples get dry and I have the discharge. Only one time did I have the wrong bars in which caused my boobs to hurt and I had lots of discharge come out. I took those out and replaced them with the old bars.
Hi there.  I wouldn't say it is normal but common.  prolactemia is something that happens often when a woman has a hormonal imbalance.  I had it when my body was naturally producing too much estrogen.  I would talk to your doctor about it.  Some women have this when they have a very small tumor in their pituitary gland (I was given an MRI to rule this out).  So, definitely something to see your doctor about.  good luck
Did you ever find out about this? I know it is an old post. I have the same thing, left side same duct every time. Super thick, almost pliable white when squeezed. It seems to 'fill' after time and gets itchy so i have to squeeze again. Does this sound similar?
Were you able to breastfeed? I've had my piercings out for about 7 years or so and I still get that white stuff.. I'm pregnant now though, and I'm worried I won't be able to breastfeed my baby...
I have been having for over a year white discharge from my left nipple and have been afraid to go to the breast specialist and go get the mammogram and ultra sound done. But my family and friends have been on my case about going, so I finally went yesterday to get the mammogram done and ultra sound. The dr at the placed where I got it done seem very unsure of why this was happening because he found 2 cyst in my right breast but nothing in my left breast so he could explain why it has been happening all he could tell me was to follow up with my gyn and the breast specialist. I have no children and never had my nipples pierced. So I still have unanswered questions about why this is happening The dr yesterday said possible why I have the cyst in the right breast is to harmones but he wasn't sure why. A couple of months ago my gyn and regular physican di the prolactin test on me and it came back fine. The gyn dr. said if it came back abnormal it could be due to the medicine 'Im on but that wasn't the case so now  I have to go to the breast specialist.
I got my nipples pierced 6 months ago and just 2 days ago I had a pimple on the center of my nipple and I popped it and a good amount of puss came out and then I could see kinda like a little hole in it from where the puss came out. It healed up after 2 days and then I just popped it again and same thing!! So pain, no itch, I wouldn't have known if I wasn't checking out my nipple rings (lol) but you're not alone!! Probably just something to do with the healing process
Yours sounds like an infection in the ducts from the piercing. Go to a doctor.
If it's just a white paste like discharge then it's nothing to worry about. If it's accompanied by any redness or itching or blood or anything then it's different, but if it's just the white discharge then i have an answer for you.

I had my nipple pierced at 18, and was a fairly regular customer at the place i had it done, as it was a jewelry, piercing, tattooing parlour combined and i asked about the piercer about it, and had the information confirmed by the program Embarrassing bodies.

Essentially piercing the nipple creates a tunnel through the skin, which has no exposure to air. Once the piercing has healed, you've created more skin surface, but it's enclosed. All skin grows new cells and the old ones die and fall off, but it can't slough off like it normally does, because it is enclosed. So these dead skin cells combine with sweat and whatever other moisture gets in there, and that grows bacteria, which is why this discharge smells bad.

The same things happens if you have an inward belly button. Sometimes when you clean your belly button you'll notice a bad smell, and again, thats bacteria from dead skin cells in an area which is always moist.

So this substance needs cleaning out periodically, but should not be an obstacle to someone wanting to breast feed. My piercer said she just squeezed her nipple before breast feeding, to make sure there was none of this discharge there, and when none came out, she went ahead and expressed milk, or breast fed her baby.

When she fell pregnant for a second time, she decided she didn't want to worry about this anymore, and she'd let her piercing heal over anyway, so she just had it re-pierced, and then didn't keep the bar through it, creating a new wound which was able to heal over, eliminating the circumstances which led to the discharge. I am planning to copy her and get mine re-pierced and heal over to eliminate this problem.