A white nipple discharge - mostly only extracted when squeezed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

About a year ago, I began experiencing a thick white nipple discharge protruding out of my nipples. I wasn't sure what it was so I tried to get it off and then realized that it was coming out of my nipple and squeezed it out. I was completely freaked out. I could see a clear opening from where the discharge had come. I had pierced my nipple about 6 months before this happened, but it wasn't until after I had removed the ring for a few months that I started to experience this discharge. Since then, I have continued to experience the discharge with some regularity (this has continued for over a year), and the discharge has remained the same - still think and white, and still needs to be extracted even though I can see it underneath the skin or it may begin to protrude on it's own.
Also, a month or two after the first one started, I began to check out the other nipple. If I poked around at it - I could get similar results. I am a 26-year-old woman, who has never been pregnant (there was no chance of that happening when this began either). What do I do? I am slightly embarrased by this, I have kind of bounced it around some of my friends, and no one has experienced anything like this. Even a friend of mine who also used to have a pierced nipple (I thought that was the cause at first). Do I need to do a biopsy? Mammogram? I am so young, but the more I research it on the internet, the more freaked out I am by the potential problems that could result. I did have my prolactin tested about a month ago by my OBGYN (dont know results yet) and she didn't think it was a big deal. help.
Did your ob/gyn order a TSH(thyroid) and Prolactin(pituitary function)?  I have had nipple discharge only mine is spontaneous and I cannot make it happen.  They may even want a slide to see what type of cells are present in the discharge.  MY lab work was normal, so we are thinking it is coming from some ovarian cysts that I have been dealing with.  Right now they are no where to be found, but the breast issue is still going on.
It can be completely caused by the piercing. I have the exact same thing. Pierced both nipples, had them in for several years, got pregnant and took them out. That was 5 years ago and I still have thick/white discharge that I squeeze out like a pimple. My ob/gyn said the body normally produces body fluids anywhere there is a hole, especially man-made ones. That being said my ears do the same thing but just less frequently. I can't speak for your situation, but mine sounds similar and is considered normal and not a problem.
I had my nipples pierced a few years ago. I took them out when prego with my daughter. The whole time I had the piercing, I had that same white funk( If I twisted the rings to clean them). After I had taken them out I had a white discharge , if I squeezed them , as well. This only lasted for maybe 2 months after I took them out though.Are they soar??? Does your discharge have an odor?? If so, it never hurts to go get it checked out...just to rule out infection. Good luck
I have the same thing, both nipples pierced, took the rings out, have had the white stuff for about 10 years. Now I would like to get pregnant and am wondering if that will affect breast feeding.
Have any of you breasfed after nipple piercings? Nadine.
I have the same thing.  No piercings though!! Sounds a little painful.  Anyway, about 7 months ago I (for some reason) checked my breast and squeezed it.  I also had white stuff come out.  Then it turned clear with the white substance coming into the clear stuff.  Sometimes the stuff is clear, white, and sometimes it looks greenish?  I went to my OB/GYN to have it checked out.  Whe didn't seem very concerned and said to call back if it didn't subside so of course I did.  I saw another dr. in their practice and he did not seem worried either.  I continued to call until they finally they drew blood to check my pituitary gland for tumors (which are usually no prob.)  They also checked for early menopause.  The test all came back good and normal.  I still was not satisfied so they sent me for mamogram (mammogram) and a ultrasound.  Which I researched and the ultrasound is the very best for early early detection of breast cancer.  These both came back clear.  I finally went to see a very good breast specialist and she did an exam also and reviewed the test I had done.  She basically said that this is sometimes normal.  She said to call back if it started to come out of one area on the nipple or if blood started to come out.  Do you know what I mean by one area?  I breast fed my daughter and I used a pump for part of the time when the pump extracts the milk from your breast it comes out of several ?holes? That's what I mean. My daughter is 2 1/2 years old now so I don't really think it has anything to do with that. I know that there is not a big concern unless it is blood coming out. She said it could come and go? (Great huh!?) Have you had a breast exam?  Or done a self exam?  If you have the discharge and find a lump you should continue to push your dr. to do more test.  Or go to another dr.  maybe a friend could rec. one for you.  It definately does nothing for your sex drive.  Please let us know what you find out.  I hope everything is okay for you.
funkynina,
I think you have experienced a different thing, but that you for the response. The white stuff that comes out of a piercing hole (for myself anyhow) just comes out of the holes that were made by the piercing and not through any other part of the nipple or breast. It is definately a piercing related gunk, like a thick puss. It is just strange that it keeps occurring for years after a piercing hole has been out of use.
I appologize. I wasn't suggesting that this was the situation. I wanted to mearly share my experience in case someone read this section and had the same problem as I have had. I also wanted to make the comment about the information my OB had given me. I do know that trauma to the breast, maybe like piercing, could cause cancerous cells. I am not saying at all that this is her situation, but just wanted to try to be informative. I agree I do think that is odd that the "puss" would continue for some time even after the hole isn't being used.  I am also not sure if it would affect your breast feeding or not. I guess maybe you could have the "puss" substance looked at by your OB and see if it is bacterial. I don't think it would be a good idea to breast feed without having it checked incase it is bacterial and could pass some kind of infection on to the baby. Maybe you could just need an antibiotic or something. I wish you the best of luck. I'll try to be more clear with my information in the future!! Hope to hear from you soon.
im am an 18 year old girl who has this exact same problem. I got my right nipple pierced about 4 years ago but took it off about 2 years ago, and ever since i took it off ive been experiencing these odd puss like excretions which frankly im inda worried about, but after reading this i feel a lot better. I also have polycystic ovaries and was wondering if that might have to do with the situation at all, or if is is merely a piercing related problem.
I read your experience, and I get the same thing too. I had my nipples pierced for about 4 years, and once I took them out I got the discharge when I squeezed. It does smell. I've been too embarrassed to ask my doctor about it. I haven't had the rings for about 3 years. I never found a lump in my breast, nothing really scary... so I never asked. My friend who had her nipples pierced also experience the same thing.The discharge is really thick, it comes out in the front of the nipple and the holes where they were pierced.
I may ask eventually - I just want it to go away! I'm worried that one day it's going to embarrass me in a situation... ya know?
Yup, it's a piercing thing. That stuff gathers in all piercings---it's not nipple-specific, so no worries. Just a normal side effect, I think it's something to do with oils and dead skin cells from the body that get trapped there.
laahdeedaah is correct! Haven't any of you squeezed an ear piercing that hasn't had in earring in it for years? Same stuff. I love squeezing my partner's - when he lets me. :)
I have these bumps around my nipples and when I squeeze them thick white stuff comes out. I never had my nipples pierced or had any children to breast feed. Does anyone know what the problem could be.
Thank you for your comment, I am experiencing the same thing and have an appt. on Monday to see my doctor.  Your comment made me feel a little more relaxed.  My doctor basically said the same thing, but of course she wants to rule out anything else. Just wanted to say thank you.
i never had my nipples pierced but I'm experiencing the same thing and i'm starting to get scared.  my nipples have never been pierced, i've never been pregnant, and yet i have white discharge that i have to squeeze out every now and again.  I've been experiencing this since i went camping w my boyfriend 2yrs ago, should i get this checked out? who would i go to to get this looked at?
My comment will not help with the piercing issue, but it may help clear up what some of the rest of you are wondering about milk release from non-lactating women. Women who have never been pregnant are actually often capable of producing milk.  I saw a case study of a woman who set out to breast-feed her adopted infant, by feeding formula through thin tubes taped to her nipples, and leading to a bottle/formula reservoir on her back, as well as taking synthetic lactation hormones orally. The idea was that if she did this long enough, the physical stimulation of her breasts and the emotion-linked hormones would produce lactation, and her breasts would eventually 'come into milk' fully.  She did this for weeks under a doctor's supervision, and did make ounces of milk at a time eventually, but had to continue the formula as a supplement, as she never fully lactated as she would have if her breasts had been prepared by the hormones of pregnancy. SO, even if you have never had a baby, you can often squeeze a drop out of a nipple. In fact, perhaps you already know that some MEN can do a neat trick where if they squeeze their own nipple hard enough, they can usually get a drop of clear-ish fluid out, called 'colostrum', or 'early milk', like a woman makes in the first day after the birth of a baby before her 'milk comes in'.  Each woman's breasts and hormone balance are different-  some never-pregnant women can't squeeze a drop out at all, some can even spontaneously exude a drop of white 'true' milk. I have also read that women who have been on birth control pills for long periods are more likely to produce a drop or two, because the method of birth control hormones is to prevent pregnancy by making the body believe it is already pregnant.
     As for piercings, they can be a pain in the A__!  If I had known about the pus, the pain, and the possibility that some people's bodies just won't give in to a foreign object ever PERIOD, I would never have encouraged my daughter to be the first one in our family to get her ears pierced.  Since then I have been studying this and the general concensus is:      piercings = pus + pain for 63% of us; and if you are in the piercing-perfect pus-free 37%, my best to you, seriously, enjoy your unique ability to accept body accessories!
I'm so glad I found this website!  I had both nipples pierced about 7 years ago and about 4 years ago removed my rings.  I've noticed since then white pus comes out of the pierced holes when I squeeze.  It smells like the same stuff from your ears but doesn't really hurt and not green like an infection.  I was so worried since now I'm pregnant and want to breastfeed and wasn't sure what the puss was from . . .  I'm glad to know I'm not the only one in the white pus boat after piercing.  Thanks!
i had my nipples peirced 4 years ago, and took them out when i got pregnant with my first child 2 years ago.  my nipples had the same white thick gunk coming out the peircing holes, along with ALOT of soarness in just the nipples. the soarness stopped in my second trimester, THANK GOD. i did breastfeed for the first three months, and much to my dismay stopped producing milk after that and had to quit.  while breasfeeding though, be prepared for the milk to come out of the piercing holes!  my husband found it hilarious! anyway, im pregnant with my second now, and the soarness is back ten-fold, and it seems the the white gunk has never really gone away.  i cant wait for the pain to go away since im already 20 weeks, but im too scared to ask my dr if there is anything i can do about the pain or if these are symptoms of anything more serious.   i am DEFINATLY glad to hear im not the only one experiencing the discharge though... at least i know im not alone!!
I have mine peirced as well..and I have the same thing..it's normal..
I am 30 yrs old. I gave birth to my son 10 ys ago. I came across this sight because Im expierencing the same problem even though Ive never had my nipples pierced. I seemed to get these little bumps around my nipple after birth. Ive always do myself exams and have had them checked annually. I was told by the OBGYN that some women get these bumps and they go away some get them and they get smaller or the enlarge. Well, unfortunally i am the lucky one to get the enlarging ones. For the past 10 yrs I have always had this thick whit (FUNK) odorless I may add, that I can squeeze out like a pimple. But the past mth. my right nipple squeezed out a runnier greenish tint (FUNK). So yesterday I went in for an exam. My OBGYN said it was somewhat normal but to definetly quit squeezing them. ( IM SORRY BUT THATS HARD TO DO!!!!) Anyways I have a mamorgram next week. Wish me luck. Ill keep everyone posted. OH!!! before I realized this greenish (FUNK) I had jetting pains from my armpit to my breast. Not all at the same time but in a course of a few weeks. So im pretty worried, Ive never had those before. CHOW!!!!!!!!
I had similar pain and nipple discharge-when I squeezed that looked blackish/grayish. The pain in my armpit to my breast was pretty severe at times and felt like a burning sensation with a lot of pressure like someone was standing next to me with their thumb pushed under my armpit. I went and checked out "Dr.Susan Love's Breast Book" from the library and saw that where my pain was located was along the path of lymph nodes in my breast. I called and made an appointment, had an ultrasound, and a mammogram but nothing was discovered. The discharge stopped for about 2 years but today I noticed think white, almost like snot discharge from the same nipple. I just had my yearly and my doctor said my breasts didn't feel unusual. I'm 25 but when I was younger I never had trouble with my breasts, pain doesn't seem normal but yet nothing has been found. Should I get a second opinion?
Just took my nipple piercings out after 7 years and now I have the same scary thick white discharge! I am so glad this is normal....and that my piercing stage is nearly over. Does it subside? Don't really want to milk my nipples on a regular basis. Did anyone have itching along with it?
About 16 years ago I had had surgery on my nipples.  They were inverted so I had them surgically brought out.  (wish I never did that now) Since then I have the same thick white discharge that most of the women are talking about. I have to squeeze it out.  My Concern:  This discharge has the same odor as the discharge that you get out of old ear piercings.  It isn't strong but it isn't oderless.  If it has an odor it must have a taste to it.  I am always self consious of this and never let my husband around my breast area while we are having sex.  My Question:  Is there any way to get rid of it???  Has anyone ever been RX a cream or something???  How do you make it STOP!
I'm 17 years old.  A few months ago my nipples started to feel wet at spontanious times.  Everytime i squeezed them to see if anything would come out nothing would, so I ignored it.  (maybe it was my imagination) Just so you all know I've never had a nipple peircing and I've never been pregnant.  Well this month it changed.  I had white stuff on my nipples like dried cream.  I could also see it underneath my nipple skin and can now squeeze it out like puss or a pimple.  I also have little red dots on my nipples.  I don't know what they are either.  Reading this column has made me feel more confidant, but i'm still younger than everyone else who has written in this forum.  Non - cancerous lumps run in my family my grandmother, mother, and sister all have had them.  I wonder if my hormones are a little off and am considering go on the pill to see if it helps regulate them and gets rid of the problem.  I havn't told my doctor about it yet.  Somone mentioned to me that it is possible to get breast tumors that is related to the excreation of a white substance, but again i guess if it's not blood then it's not a big concern.  However i do have these teansy red dots.  Is it possible that they are dried blood blisters or traces of blood?  I have no idea!  I am glad that I'm not the only one with this problem, but I don't understand why this happend to me when I'm so young.
I know a lot of people are asking the same thing. I'm 25 and having the same issue but with only one nipple. I've never had nipple piercings and I've never been pregnant but I was on birth control when I was younger for PCOS and recently I've had to use Plan B a couple of times. Anyway It usually only happens with my left nipple and when squeezed every couple of hours it secretes a discharge clear the first second then followed by a sometimes cloudy white but usually off white-yellowish color puss with the consistency of lotion out of the center of the nipple. That particular breast usually hurts and itches very badly afterwards. I've been confused if it's an infection or a side effect from using Plan B too often or if Plan B failed some early sign of pregnancy..?
im an 18 year old girl. i have NEVER had a piercing. and i noticed a white color on my nipple so i squeezed it trying to figure out what it was white gunk stuff came out, its been like this for a loooong time.i dont understand what it is.
I'm 21 and the same thing happens to me. I did some research online in some other forums and found the following:

"Those bumps are called "Montgomery's Tubercles" and their purpose is to produce a thin oil that keeps the nipple from getting too dry. If you squeeze one, a little white pus might come out - this is just old oil, and nothing at ALL to be worried about."

"That's interesting! I have a habit of squeezing them, but then I constantly notice that my nipples are dry"

"I became obsessed with squeezing them too... and ended up with dry nipples. If it's a big problem, you can get a little tube of Lanisoh lanolin creme in the baby section of your local megastore. That's what nursing moms use to keep their nipples from cracking."

I squeeze the little bumps too, and my nipples are quite dry - so it makes sense to me that I'm messing around with the oil glands in the breast!
hi,
i am a 31 year old woman with the whitish/clear/sometimes opaque secretion from  my nipples. no nipple peircings or pregnancies - i noticed it a year ago when scratching at what seemed like dry skin there, and turned out to be plaques formed by the previously excreted and dried secretion. a pediatrition frind of mine told me it is also very common as a  side effect of certain medications i take to have this particular experience, and not to worry over it, i try not to. i try to avoid manipulating my breasts to make  them ooze. i just dont  want them oozing anything at all!
i'm so happy to found this forum. I just experience this today and like some of you, had not gotten any peicing at all. I experience this white secretion on my left breast. Before this, i have been these small bumps around the nipple and when i sqeeze them, its like a whitehead secretion. It became a habit and everytime when I bathe i would squeeze the bumps until today i saw this puss like discharge oozing out from the nipple. It sure made me panic and paranoid and started to find quick answers by googling. I'm arranging to see my gynae just to be sure.

Another question is what type of medication can cause this side effect?

thanks all
I just had a test today to figure everything out. I had lab work done to check my thyroid and pituitary. I'm scheduled for and ultrasound in 2 weeks.
I've had my nipples pierced for 3 years and I get the usual mess that comes out of the sides, but I recently lost weight (a lot of it in the breasts) and was putting on some cocoa butter and I noticed that the shape of my left nipple was different. It used to just be a dome shape and now theres a pit in the middle. I dont know what possessed me, but I gave my nipple a squeeze and I had a dot of clear fluid come out of a pin size hole in the pit of the nipple. I've never been pregnant so I kind of freaked.
Did the same to my right and there was even more discharge. I took the ring out and gave it a squeeze and even MORE came out. It was still smaller than a drop of dew... a lot smaller... but it still freaked me out.

I read that birth control hormones can trigger this ( the day before I started a new birth control pill) soooooooo let's see what happens.
i have the same thing. I went to see my doctor who told me not to squeeze them anymore! she did a prolactin test....that was it. they blew it off, so i guess it's no big deal.
i have the same thing... i have had my nipple  pierced for about 5 years now and just a few days ago my nipple stared hurting. i took the piercing out  and squeezed my nipple and much to my surprize a long string of odorless discharge came out( of the center of my nipple not the holes from the piercing)... i freaked out... so i checked my other non pierced nipple( this nipple didn't hurt) and it also had a white discharge but it was a small amount compared to the pierced nipple.
what does this mean?
whats causes this to happen?
can i make it stop?
can i put my nipple ring back in?
is it infected?
should i go to the OBGYN?
I had a nipple ring 7 years ago and found this discharge. I took out the ring as soon as i saw it and still get this often. It doesn't hurt me and have always hope it will go away.
This forum has put my mind to rest.
A very thankful man.
Good luck!!
umm i had my nipples pierced and had to take one of em out cuz it wasnt doing so good, and then i noticed the white discharge... i know exactly what ya'll are talkin about, its super thick, not liquidy at all... and i got it repierced and it still does the same thing out of the front of my nipple, i get the white puss on the sides where the piercings are that is the same discharge that i get in al my other piercings, but theyre definitely two different consistencies... but it sounds like we all have the same problem, i wouldnt worry about it too much, it seems like a normal bodily reaction... n yeah it might be a wee lil bit gross, but i guess you'll have that....
Both of mine have been pierced for a few years now. My left one only has the white discharge, which I've accepted inconvenient but normal.

The problem: It comes out of my natural nipple hole, not the piercing holes, and it hurts! It's like it's constantly irritated, which creates more discharge, which irritates it more. I soak it in hot sea salt water every week, but..

Request: I need something that promotes healing but is safe. Alcohol or anything that dries it out is a big no-no. What should I try?
it is totally normal. it is the nipple keeping every thing clean and clear . go to google and type in white stuff coming out of the nipple. it states that your nipples do this some times if you are on birth control pills, when sexually arroused, even before or during your menstrual cycle. but again it is not because of your piercings. i do not have any piercings, never been pregnant or any thing and noticed this when i was very young maybe around 16 or 17 i am 22 years old now. so you guys stay calm. always get mamograms to make sure your breast are okay. but it is NORMAL.
i'm very relieved to see this.  I have had the same thing in only my left breast.  it's very thick and squeezes like a pimple, the stuff that comes out is thick and white.  i have been trying to not mess with them, as it hurts a little to squeeze (nipples are very sensitive!)

I've never had a piercing there, but have had two kids... but the youngest is 9 so i doubt its that in my case.  I have taken birth control for years and years... maybe it's just like any other pore and sometimes they get clogged..... don't know???

anyways, i have no other symptoms that could cause alarm so i'm gonna mention it next time i see the doc, but wont make a big deal about it.
soooo glad i found this! after reading a whole lot of information on nipple discharge, and thoroughly freaking myself out, its nice to know i am probably not walking around with a brain tumor or cancer. one of the main reasons i don't usually like to self diagnose via the internet. i had my nipples pierced for about two years before getting pregnant. after having my son , i didn't have any problems breast feeding, but it took me about 6 years to completely stop lactating. i thought that was strange, but was informed that it was perfectly normal. so after all that i had the nipple rings put back in. this time around i had them in for about four years, and decided to take them out about two months ago. so then came the icky thick white funk... lol. actually discovered by the boyfriend... embarrassing...... and as happy as i am to find this forum, and to read that it is normal, i am still disheartened to hear that this could possibly be yet another ongoing nipple issue
OH MY!  
Like most of you with a nipple piercing discharge complication, i.e thick white discharge even after years and after removal of the piercing, I expirience the same thing!  Ughh. . And I too like to squeeze it out.  Ewww..  

My questions is: has anyone ever heard of or know anything about this causing infection to the baby while breast feeding?  I want to breast feed and I am concerned about passing some infection or something to the baby through the breast milk or contact with the discharge while breast feeding. Thank You.
I HAVE NO NIPPLE PIERCINGS
I AM LACTATING
I ALSO HAVE A COLD

I am 21 and have a son who is almost 6 weeks old, I have a flu at the moment and he is staying at my mums while I get better. I have  expressed my boobs thismorning with a breast pump - i expessed my right one first and got our 70mls then i started to express my LEFT one and by the time i got upto 50mls out i noticed that out of one hole on my nipple had thick yellowish-whiteish sort of globby-sticky puss like stuff that keeps coming out while expressing.. Its not milk - its a completey different thing.. im not sure if its because im sick and have taken some tablets to get over it or what.. i did notice my left boob was incredibally sore yesterday and the day before.. and is still a bit sore now... I am a tiny bit worried.. its crazy how so many of us are getting this puss stuff... nipple peircings or no nipple piercings this is weird!
I am a 27 year old female experiencing the same symptoms.  A sometimes whiteish, clear, or even dark discharge from both my nipples when squezzed.  My problem is I have no health insurance and my doctor at Planned Parenthood really seemed unconcerned when I told her.  This has been goin on for the last couple of years and hasn't let up.  I had done some research and freaked myself out pretty good too.  I don't feel ill and while I do have sore breasts occasionally (i have fibrocystic breasts) it seems to be nothing.  Just wish I could afford to go out and see as many doctors as I wanted because it is unsettling.  Absolutley it makes me uncomfortable during sex and foreplay, but that seems to be the only problem.  Thank you so much for posting your experiences it helps me to understand why my OBGYN seemed so unconcerned.  
I am a 17 year old boy who go his nipples pierced last year around this time. Something similar has been happening with my piercings as well. I went to talk to the people who pierced my nipples; they said it was completely normal and should stop as soon as the healing process is over. :D
Hye all, im 19 years old. One of my nipples produces a whitish sometimes clear discharge and im freaked out. i dont wanna tell anyone, not even my family. Im kinda sexually active, is it because of my boyfriend sucking my nipples? does that lead to the discharge? i've never been pregnant and i never had my nipples pierced. but why does only one nipple has the discharge?? im worried. help me
Its not just a woman things obviously because, i am a guy and i had my left nipple pierced for about a year and now ever couple weeks or so i can squeeze out some solid white puss. nasty yes but my doctor told me it was all piercing related.
Hi Im 27 and I have had a clear/ white discharge from both breast since I was about 17 or 18.( in high school) I have never had my nipples pierced.(Ouch) !! The discharge is only when the nipples are squeezed  and I experience no pain. One day I notice something white just posted on the tip of my nipple. It was kinda like a lil paste. I played with it then squeezed and their it was something clear and white coming out. I thought that it would go away but still to this very day it is there, I seen my DR. about this and she being a OBGYN stated that it is because of a Hormonal Imbalance. I was on BC at a young age and this may have started this situation. I got pregnant at 23 (first pregnancy ever) I was worried that the STUFF coming out would effect my baby because I wanted to breast feed, BUT it didnt and my Big Girl is healthy and smart!!! Jus wanted to share with all !!  Hope everyone is WELL !!!  
I am 28 years old... never been prego and I dont have any of my nipples pierced. For the past 4 months now, I have notice the samething.. When I squeeze one of my nippies, a white thick discharge comes out. I have notice that this only happens to me when I start ovulating. HOWEVER... I most say that I was on birth control for many years and this never happened before until I stopped taking birth contol pills. This is very odd....
i am 22 i got my nipple done back in 2008 i had them in a few months and when i took them out like 2 months there was this white discharge come out of my nipple. like most of you on here mine is not think at all when i squeezed my nipple it come out its more like milky discharge it don't have pain or any thing like that i just what to know if any body can tell me what is going on is this a normal thing form the piercing or is something going  and i need to see a doc i had both piercing and they both have discharge the left one all ways have more
My boyfriend frequently ***** on my nipples during foreplay, and for the past month or two he said he has been getting tiny amounts of a clear, sweet-tasting discharge after a period of time spent sucking. I've done research and this is normal, it is a pre-lactation fluid that comes from the breasts being suckled, as a child would do.
I have 2 children, my youngest is 2.  I had an IUD put in 3 weeks ago, and the last week has been awful.  My nipples are very swollen and sore.  I think it might be from the change in hormones?? Anyone else experience this??
this may be odd anyways when i was 15 i had the same problem..i went to a OBGYN and i had a lump they found they squeezed my breast and they had white stuff also....Two weeks later i was in for surgery they removed my milk ducks so now i cannot breast feed.. I was 15 and i was leaking like i was pregnant when i wasnt.
I had my nipples pierced when I was 18 and took them out when I was 22. Since then the same thick odorless gunk comes out when I squeeze them. I have brought it u to my gyno and she basically ignored me. Thanks for all the posts they have def calmed my nerves...guess this is a normal thing.
im 13 and ive never had my nipples peirced. i have a white puss like coming out of Both of nipples. im not pregnant. but this has been happening for a year and a half now and i havent told anyone in my family about this. so can someone please help me with this situation?
my ears were pierced 18yr ago,and i took them out about 13yr ago,and i have never had any discharge from them at all(NOTHING) and now have had my nipple done 4 days ago,and its starting to discharge and puss,i have been told by the doctor that its just untill it heals properly,like my ears,and that i should never get this once it is totally healed up,it is the bodys way of stopping infection getting in.
I have my nipples pierces. I have the thick gunk that comes out of the nipples holes and the top of the nipple when the nipple alone is squeezed. When the whole breast is sqeezed clear and while drops of liquid come out. Both forms of have been coming out for 2 years now.

ONE: The thick gunk is piercing related, normal, and may never go away.
TWO: the clear and white liquid is also totally normal. You don't have to be pregnant to lactate.
I have got exactly the same symptoms - no piercings ever.

I was told that the more you check for it the more you stimulate production, so the key is to stop squeezing! I went to my GP about it about 7 years ago and he sort of said "yeah? so? - don't worry about it and stop squeezing"! We may have high prolactin but that is usually due to something totally normal and not worrying.

Hope your tests were OK
I get the same thing without ever having had a child or having my nipples pierced. Whitish spots appear on my nipples, that I squeeze out once a week or so to give a white, solid discharge. It's never sore or smelly, never any blood. My doctor didn't seem worried, said it's very common and can be a mix of milk, dead cells etc. The only time to worry is if it is ever painful, bloody, smelly or greeny-yellow (can indicate infection).

While we're on the subject, self-check as often as you can. The most important thing is to know what is normal for YOU as no woman is the same. It's any changes from your normal that indicate a problem, not how you compare to other people, so consult your doctor if anything looks or feels different to normal.
Hi everyone.
I remember last year when I first saw those discharges and read stuff in here. and now I have a big story to share.
I'm f. 24. no breast piercing, not married, no children, virgin, regular periods  etc. etc.

First, I had discharges from my breasts. both left & right. Sonograms didn't show anything. The prolactin level was not high either.

Discharges from my right breast stopped, while a lump formed in my left breast, close to nipple and it always had discharges. Excatly the same as what you say.
I had discharges everyday, liquid while, yellow with bad smell. then after 1 week or 10 days, a big hard thing came out of that lump and then the cycle went on again. liquid things for 7-10 days and then hard thing.

I did the sonography 2 times, each with an expert. I also checked with my dermatologist. They all said that it is sebaceous and not to worry about. Only one of the sonologists said that she sees a track going from that lump into my breast tissue.

My breast surgeon doctor did a sonography at her office. She was suspicious that this is not sebaceous. she decided to do an excision and biopsy. well the result?
first of all, that lump was NOT sebaceous AT ALL.  
It was not malignant, but it was "intraductal papilloma", which is a benign but should be removed because it increases the risk f breast cancer.

Now that I search " intraductal papilloma" I find tones of web pages, stating that this may cause breast discharges. But before that I didn't know this I couldn't find any of these pages.

So be aware and check everything and ask your doctor to do a biopsy if possible. People are shocked when they hear about my situation. No one believes that a girl at my age might have this thing.

Take a good care of yourself.

hi i have the same problem with my pierced nipple and am now 8 months pregnant and am guessing i have to take it out tto breast feed, do i have to take it out and will the white stuff affect my baby? can anyone help?
This is not an infection, when you pierce the nipples you create a space between some of the milk/oil producing cells which they in turn fill with milk/oil. My wife had this issue and she was super worried so I took her to the doctor and he explained it as such. Even if you have had the rings out for years, these glands may have continuously produced enough fluid and pressure to prevent the hole from properly closing, and it may never properly close, but it is in fact nothing serious. The only time you need to worry is if there is pain, redness, swelling, or if the discharge has an odor or is a color other than white.
I have been wondering about this for some time.  I can now see that I am definitely not alone in the matter.  My nipples were pierced for about 3-4 years, then I took the rings out when I became pregnant.  My obgyn had told me that there was nothing to worry about due to the fact that the nipples had been pierced and that I could breast feed.  I stopped breast feeding when my daughter was 9 mo. and after my milk dried up I still noticed this white discharge coming out. Three years later, I am still experiencing the same thing.  I have since realized that it was from having them pierced previously and freak out about the fact that my daughter was probably ingesting the stuff with the breast milk.  I have no idea if that was harmful, I know it sounds really disgusting though.  I think this is something that our doctors should be addressing when we are pregnant.  Is the pus harmful to our baby?  What kind of affect will it have, if any, on the baby?  The discharge should probably be tested in order for our doctors to be more aware of the actual hazards if there are any.   My daughter has shown no signs of anything being wrong with her, and I am a stay at home mom so I am with her all the time.  Just glad I am not alone.  Thank you everyone for sharing.  
I am a 19 year old woman and have the same problem. I have been experiencing a whitish disharge from my nipples every once in a while for a few years now. I have never been pregnant or had my nipples pierced. I don't know if I should go to the doctor or ignore it. It doesn't seem very harmful yet though...
hi im experiencing the same thing right now...took it out cuz i got pregnant.. i breastfed for 2 years..now 6 months later when i squeeze my pierce nipple white puss comes out with odor.. and my nipple is itching..hope this is normal
Hi. Its wierd coz im a 21 year old male and got my nipple pierced about 5 years ago and have had it out for about a year and a half. And i get the same white substance when i squeeze my nipple. Its kinda wierd. Specially being that im a male. And its embaracing. I havnt told anyone. But am considering telling my GP. Just to get some closure on it. Ile post back when i get a result. Thanks for sharing ur experiences.
Ok hi all idk wha 2 do in earlii june 2010 id say i moved in wit ma feonce now one day i was about to take a shower wen outta nowea i did a self breast exsam n felt a lump on my right brest right outside the areola now i got mad nervous cuz im bipolar so i called in ma feonce freddy n he called ma mom who used 2 b a nurse she sed 2 put cold n hot compresses like alternate on n off so i did it got worse i went to go visit ma mom in august of 2010 n say my ob/gyn n she sed it was a 2cmm mass n she suggested i c a breast surgon i went he sed nada serious n does an ultra sound 2 make sure n then he drained it n doenst giv me antibiotics nor does he even cover it no baindaide nada so i go home n in september i come bak home so then around sept 13th i got bad chest n breast pain go 2 d er n the dr has 2 admit me cuz its now an absess (abscess) that can kill me the surgon comes in n sez 6 more mnths i wulda givin u if u ddnt come in 2nite that was in septemeber 2010 now here it is january 2011 n i am still here seein ma dam surgon cuz i had 2 get 2 surgeries cuz the first one he left some of the infection in it was so bad n now last nite it popped n it started bleeding like not the dark blood u get from ur period like kinda thick blood but bright red n then today i was gunna take a shower and now i have a string hanging outta it i am very scared and i am biplar n nervous im 22 i jus need help!! Plzzzzz :/ thanxxx
I'm glad I found this site, because I have had the same odd white thick discharge come only from where my nipple was once pierced.  I had my nipples pierced, stupidly, about 11 years ago, and after about 4 years of the discharge I went to my OB/GYN who tested it to make sure it wasn't an infection, and it turned out to be all right and nothing was wrong.  This is normal and just a consequence we get for messing with our nipples :P  Sadly to say it's been 11 years since I pierced my nipples and I STILL get the discharge and have to squeeze it out every couple of weeks or so.  Thankfully it's only really happening with one of my nipples, but it makes sense that our body recompensates for the holes we've made and therefore pus is created.  It's not the end of the world, just clean it out every so often and you'll be fine :)  
I had my nipples pierced for nearly 5 years and took them out for the military. They have been out for 6 months before I had a thick discharge come from the man made holes. My nipples are also very sore. I haven't asked a Dr. about it yet. I am also a medic and a RN, it doesn't seem to be an infection or anything serious. I don't know what could be going on...
I always wondered about this issue.  When I was 17 I got nipple piercings and took them out within 2 years.  Now I'm 27 and have been having the same periodic, white, funky discharge you all spoke of that I can squeeze out of the holes and my nipples.  Definitely not the coolest side effect.  But I didn't know it was possible to breastfeed afterward, because I had heard it wasn't and was very upset with my ignorance at the time I got pierced.  Not that I'm having any kids for awhile longer, yet it is good to know that it is possible.  I hate the idea of denying my future kid the awesomeness that is breast milk!  Sadly, I am one of the 10% or so who has lost most sensitivity in my nipples... So win some, lose some?  :-/  For the girls who may fear embarrassment, I've not had any problems with guys exploring the area... :-)  Anyway, thank you all for sharing your experiences and easing my anxiety about the issue!
hey your comment does kinda help me I have had my nipples priced for 1 and 1/2 years now and am not planning on taking them out any time soon but im having the weird discharge coming from my nipples and not the piercing site as well and am going to go have it looked at on Tuesday. hopping its just hormones or something related to my bc and nothing serious.
Dear all,
I am 15 yr old,not sexually active, and i havent had my period yet, and have no peircings. well i was in the shower and i saw some white stuff protruding out of both nipples. so i just decided to squeeze them and like a pimple some white solid came out. I dont want to worry my mom about this experience but could this be my cycle just starting to come. im kinda scared.please help me

-sincerly,
                                                                 Shyanne
Same thing. Over here. I have had my nipples pierced twice and the old holes produce the white stuff after my second time of taking them out the right produced some out of the front of the nipple w a slight odor (minute really. Like my gauges when I take them out at night). Its no big deal keep it clean. I use a patchouli neroli solution in vitamin e oil when I express them and it has decreased the build up immensely.
I had my nipples pierced at 28 and left them in for a couple of years then removed them. The thick funky discharge was there and has continued on during the last 11years. It's exactly like the thick white stuff that clogs your ears after being pierced and you remove your earring. I was able to breast  feed our son for 2years with absolutely no issues except a little leakage from the piercing holes while using the breast pump. Some bouts with mastitis that had nothing to do with the piercings according to the doctor.  He's now 3 and the thick, funky discharge is back....no biggie!
I have many piercings. I have done them all by myself and never had an infection (tongue, lip, nipples, eyebrow, 6 in each ear, top and bottom belly button and my nose)  have never had the white thick discharge except for a piercing that i have taken out to close it up. my nipples have just gotten redone after my pregnancy, I had my doctor do a look over to make sure it was ok to breast feed. He told me that there was nothing wrong with my nipples and it would not effect breast feeding. If u have not had your nipples pierced and u r getting this problem, it is a must u get them check out cause it could lead to breast cancer. I am a tattooist and i do piercings, it is my job on a daily basis and i see many horrible infections people come in with from other places. This young lady came into my shop one day, she had gotten her nipples done at a differnt place and showed me and asked for help. she had a horrible infection, possibly staff, she had RED RED lines shooting off of the tip of her nipple going all the way to the outside part of her boob. I sent her to the doctor come to find out if she would have waited any longer she would have lost her boob. The kind of nipple ring the guy put in when he pierced them were a cheep kind and because of the brand of metal it left shards of metal inside the new piercing. She got meds and let them close, had me redo them and she hasnt had a problem since.Just look out for odd symptoms
I am 29 years old never had children I have small breast with inverted nipples never had a piercing oh my never!!!!! But I have white discharge that comes out every day, I notice it when I'm showering I've been really worried about it, my doctor says its nothing to be worried about but I feel so grossed out and scared about it. So thank you so much for your posting it helps a little I will be getting it checked again by a different doctor any info really helps and goes a long way
I had my nipples pierced for 8 months I took them out cuz 1 didnt heal right & its been about 7 months since I took them out. I was looking at the scars where they were and noticed a good size hole still. So I squeezed a little and an off white liquidy substance came out I was just about devastated lol so I did it again & there was more? So I checked out the other side and squeezed a little and there was also a white substance only much thicker. Not sure why im just noticing it. But i did recently find out that im pregnant. So its hard to say what it is now! But sounds like it just has something to do with having a foreign object in your skin at some point. I will ask my dr about it and about the breastfeeding cuz its apparent im going to need to know that as well.
What about the liquid coming out 4rm 1 of the hole of the niples, cud this mean im pregnant, it only came out once
Thanks so much for ur comment. My situation is more like urs. I don't have any pericings  but still get a lumpy discharge from my nipples. I have two kids and breast fed them both. I thought this discharge will go away but it didn't. Now I know that I m not alone!
hello i m 17 year old male but my breact nipple come white cells
plz rep me what is this and how treatment this
you need to get to Dr immediately!  I had same problem...put off going for 3yrs because I could soak it in saline and it would get better.  Now I have an infection so bad deeply in milk ducts that I am getting ready to have my 2nd surgery to remove breast tissue-----they don't know how much they will have to take.  GO TO DR!
I have both my nipples pierced, but I had an excellent piercing artist who informed me before she pierced my nipples what the bumps on my areola are, and why we all have them. She told me ( to put it simply) that those bumps are connected to our milk ducts. The way mine were aligned, if and when she were to pierce my nipple the needle would come into contact with  one of those little areola bumps which is connected to my milk duct tract. This would be true for both breasts.
Which would mean that around that time of the month (either a little bit before, during or after menstration) I would experience a white/clear (or both) discharge. She also said you never want greenish dischage, this could be signs of an infection. She told me to not be alarmed, and that this white/clear stuff is normal. During menstration your hormones are working hard. Your breast enlarge a bit and with a hole in your nipple there is only one place for extra fluid to go, and that is out.
Squeeze it, clean it just know what it is. Your breasts are attempting to do what they are built to do, and that is produce milk. Your body does that every month, every cycle.That's why are breast get swollen, and tender around that time of the month. You wont make milk, just that fun, thick, whiteish, clearish' stuff we all speak so highly of.

I am so glad my piecer was a woman with nipple piercing, and I am glad she shared this with me. I've had my nipples pierced for 2 years now and I love them.

If you have never had your nipples pierced don't be alarmed there is a natural hole there. I know mine because when I was younger ( and my breasts were developing) I would squeeze my nipples and clear fluid would come out, back then it freaked my out. But the moment she explained it to me, it took me back to my younger days and made me realize that my body was "waking up", my hormones were "starting their engines if you will."
She also told me that this would most likely never go away. She assured me that this would not affect breast feeding.

She gave me knowledge, and information, which in turn gave me peace of mind.

I hope I have done the same.
I have all had the same experience. I got both my nipples pierced 9 years ago when I turned 18. I took them out about 9 months ago and started to have the white puss come out both nipples where the holes were. I can see white bumps on other a few other spots and I can also extract them. The puss does smell a little so I always wonder if my boyfriend can smell it too. Also during and after I had my piercings whenever I get really cold, my boobs hurt, does anyone have that problem? Do you think that if I stopped messing with extracting the puss, the holes would close completely and stop. I also had my ears gaged but took those out about 7 years ago and they still smell sometimes or if I wear regular sized earrings, why does that still happen?
I'm 22 about to be 23 & I too have PCOS & had my nipples pierced a year ago & every since I took them out now when I squeeze my nipples I have white stuff come out. I was worried because I haven't had a period in 6 months & have breast soar & tenderness so I began to search the discharge up. Glad to know I'm not alone! I too feel much better after reading this post!
i have bunps on my nippled that when in the shower the wholes open up and white hardish soft long stuff comes out .i also have implants isvthis normal
Seems like to me with all the woman who are having problems with this discharge from our breasts the doctor would take this more seriously and come up with answers instead of its ok...nothing wrong, there is always something wrong when you have a discharge coming from any part of your body..Listen up doctors out there....We Want Answers.....  
I had mine pierced for about a year and took them out about four months ago. They are oozing white thing stuff from where the peircings where but a clear/ white liquid is coming out the middle where the peircings weren't at. Idk what it all is I shouldn't be pregnet bc I am on the pill and on my period. It's just freaking me out having it coming out of the middle of my nipple. It doesn't smell and didn't happen when I had the peircings in. Should I go to a doctor?