Anyone else use Seasonique (Birth Control)?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Viewing 401-518 comments:
Hey, I have had the same thing sort of happen.  I had to start taking topamax for migraine's that I have been having because of the seasonique birth control.  Have you started yet, I am the same way you are, I finished my last blue pill Saturday night, so I technically guess I should have started Sunday or Monday this week, but I haven't and I still haven't I am freaking out.  The topamax has a high risk of causing issues on a baby, I do plan on having a baby maybe next year, but I didn't forget to take my birth control, but the pharmacist failed to tell me that if I am taking the topamax, it decreases the strength or whatever you want to call it of the birth control, so I asked her, do I stop taking the bc then, and she said no keep taking it.  I don't understand, I have like the symptoms I normally get when I am going to start but there is nothing, I am definitely moody, bitchy and now I am scared so I am unhappy, I wouldn't want to bring a baby in the world that would have such a high risk of having a birth defect and it would be my fault, I couldn't live with myself.  The pharmacist told me the warning when I started taking my second month of the pack, I started taking seasonique back in October. Tell me you started or something good please, I am so scared.  I am stopping the seasonique because I am positive its the reason I have migraine's.  Hopefully once I stop and the meds get out of my system, they will go away pretty fast.

Please anyone, help me out, I am scared, I am 28, so its not that I am worried about having a baby, I am just worried about the damage this medicine would have already caused in the womb.

Thanks,
I have severe endometriosis and was put on seasonique by my doctor to help with the pain. I wasn't having a period at all since i kept skipping the yellow pills. Despite the pills, i was having severe cramps and bled more heavily than i did before, so he put me on a daily double dose of it.
I have been taking seasonique twice daily now for close to a year and haven't experienced any serious side effects except for migraines which happens occasionally. No more bleeding ( which came with seriously heavy clots) , no cramps, nothing.
So i guess i'm glad to be on seasonique, not sure what the long term effect of taking it twice will do though.
I have severe endometriosis to the docto doesn't want to give me surgery so he keeps putting me on different things I  just got over the lupron shot that was horrible. I had hot flashes...and all the symptoms no fun
I have been taking the pill for 2 months and I was wondering if anyone has had breast tenderness side effects, I do not recall having this issue until I started taking this pill.
And just because there are stupid people on here, I must say... What a woman decides to do with her body is her own buisness. Yes it does seem a little odd that this pill only makes you get a period every three months. However, if this pill helps some women with certain medical problems they have then that is their choice and they should not be judged by anyone, especially on a discussion board where they are looking for advice and help and not another person preaching to them about how they should live their lives and the choices they should make. Obviously some people have nothing better to do than to go around on chat forums telling people how to live their lives. FYI... usually those people who do need a life of their own.. so how about you do like your sn says and "get a clue"!
I started Seonique about 6 months ago after having surgery for endometriosis, had break through bleeding the first 4 months so I skipped the yellow pills and went right into taking the next dose but had a cycle bc I missed a dose. Does anone know if its ok to continue the pills while you are on your cycle? Also, I have been having pretty bad depression and weight gain and was wondering if anyone else has been having problems with this.
I'm divorcing my partner of 13 years and married 10 of those due to this drug. 20 more days to go until freedom!  When she was off the pill the sex desire came back 50% of normal before she had started.  Now with her back on this pill is 0% as always with no medical excuse to be on the pill.  On a side note I won't even date a girl on ANY pill due to this crap.  I've been there once and not doing it again! Seasonique destroyed my marriage!!! END RANT
OMG Testarossa! Are you serious??? Divorce over BC PILLS?  Well apparently you are looking for a reason to divorce your wife anyway and I am quite sure in the long run she will be better off without you!  You are ridiculous!  A husband is suppose to stand by his wife thru anything... Heaven forbid if she were to get cancer or a major illness- I am sure that would have put you right out the door as well.  Just so you know, I am on Seasonique, I have gained 20 pounds and I am on it to decrease cysts that I get during my period that are caused by MRSA.  YES.... I have MRSA and I have had 10 plus surgeries and my husband has stood by me thru the mood swings, bleeding, depression etc.  That is a real man!  You seriously need to seek counseling.  
I just starting taking Seasonique this morning around 11:00 and then around 6ish I noticed a faint rash covering my whole body. It is the worst on the lower area of my stomach under my belly buttom. Now I am begingung to itch all over. Is this common and how long does it usually last? Should I continue taking it?
ive been taking seasonique for like... four months. im in the middle of my second pack. and for some reason im still really bitchy. i used to be super nice.. ut now.. im just not. do you always stay bitchy when on a certain pill?? or is it just like... when your still gettin used to it or whatever? cuz id really rather not vbe mean to ppl anymore =/
i have been taking seasonique for a few years now and have been very happy with it but lately, i am growing more hair on my body and am not at all happy about it. has anyone else had this problem?
I took the generic Seasonique for a whole 5 days and couldn't handle the side effects so my doctor advised me to get off of it.  I was basically psycho the entire time; severe mood swings, crying all the time, just really hating life.  I experienced awful cramps and bleeding to the point where I had to take off work.  Also very tender breasts.  My ob/gyn was really concerned about everything so they had me come in for a follow up 3 mos after I was off this pill and still experiencing severe pains in my breasts.  At this appt my doctor diagnosed me with Fibrocystic Breast Disease (which we know for a fact wasn't there before this pill).  She has now related my disease to this medication.  After the other symptoms went away she put me on the Mirena and I LOVE IT!!!  No side effects whatsoever and wouldn't change it for the world.  All in all my recomendation is to stay as far away from this medication as you can!!!!!!!
My experience with Seasonique was not good.  I was on it for three months and had to stop.  The whole idea was to not have my period while on vacation and through the summer. I thought this sounded great.  Little did I know that I was going to have severe mood swings, breast tenderness like never before (and I get sore breasts as usual PMS every month not on the pill) AND I bled from mild to severe just about every single day after the first week on it.  It was absolutely horrible. My Dr. suggests staying on it, of course, as they want the whole community to either be popping out babies or on birth control. She advised that this should subside after the first cycle, but I was not willing to take the chance. Obviously it was not for me.  Besides, the whole point was to MISS my period, not have it for 3 months straight.  
i have been taking seasonique for a few months now and i wasnt due to for my period till the middle of july. and i got it on saturday. dose this mean that the pill is not working right and should i use another form of birth control along with it?
I have been on Seasonique now for 7 years, as treatment for endometriosis that I had surgery to remove.  The pill has worked great for me and I had no side effects apart from some spotting during the 1st year.  However, now my body is telling me to go off of it. I haven't taken Seasonique now for 1 month and am STILL waiting for my period.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to instigate my period after taking Seasonique for sooooo long??
I have been on Seasonique for about 7 months and everything was going fine until last month I skipped my period and started a new pack. Now, when I have sex, I bleed some. Is this normal since I skipped a pack and have been spotting some?
I started taking seasonique because I suffer from severe anxiety and panic attacks and I found that they were worse during my period so I wanted to reduce these effects.  The first month went great didn't have any spotting, felt well but soon after I noticed an extreme change in temperament.  I would fly into a rage over nothing, cry and was feeling depressed on most days.  I was also experiencing the worst panic attacks have ever felt.  I also started bleeding everyday for about 3 weeks when I decided to stop taking the medicine and within 1-2 weeks, the symptoms had subsided.  I have taken other BC pills in the past with little side effects and will never take this pill again.  My advice if trying this pill would be to carefully monitor side effects.  If you don't have any, more power to you but if you notice anything amiss, talk to your doctor and/or stop taking them.    
I'm 25 yrs old nd I hve never been on any BP. I jst started having sex 3 weeks ago 4 the 1st time nd I'm really scared my fiancé came n side of now I'm scared of being pregnant. Can u get pregnant on this pb.

I just started taking it too and i like it but what about weight gain???? heeeelp!
I've been on this BC for a year. Yes, the first 3 months you will be REALLY moody. They are HORMONES! Of course they are going to make you moody!!! And yes, the first three months you will spot, have breast tenderness, and get irritated with your loved ones more easily. Side effects are rare, they only happen the people who are angry and want to post comments about them. They're only 3% of all people who do take it, the rest are perfectly happy.The side effects were great for me. I lost 10 pounds, stopped getting bloated, stopped cramps, got rid of ALL acne, AND grew a cup size. :) After the first 3 months I felt/feel great and I would recommend it to anyone.
Ive been taking seasonique for 3 months now, in the beginning it seemed like a great idea.. but not so much now. I have cramps every few days, which isnt horrible but just frustrating, the spotting is tolerable but I could live without it, but worst of all is my sex drive took a dive down to 0% and my moods are horrible!! Im irritable, cranky, I dont want to be bothered at all! Im totally not myself anymore, and my boyfriend is not happy at all! Im definitely stopping the pills.. just an FYI if anyone decides to start taking it.
i too had been diagnosed with endometriosis (and migraines from this seasonique!) and became pregnant TWO days after stopping seasonique, my advice is to get a blood test done and take it from there!
I have been on seasonique for 3 months now. I HATE THIS PILL! I have the worst cramps every to every other day, I've gained 20 pounds and Im (normally a small person so this have given me depression, and my boyfriend is a personal trainer {thank goodness he still tells me i look amazing}), i still have break through bleeding, i feel like im PMS'ing every day, my breasts have never been so tender, i crave carbs and sweets (but I still wont eat them!), I'm the nicest person ever....but on this pill im the biggest B***H ever (my mom will say hi hows ur day? and i feel like screaming at her). I would not reccomend this pill to ANYONE! So does anyone know how to stop ongoing periods without birth control?
ha ha what I think is so funny is the people that swear they are not irritable and that this pill is just simply magical come off looking a bit suspicious. And down playing other people side affects as being simply a symptom of their angry personality are either one of two things...1) a drug company rep. or 2) insensitive idiots or perhaps both.
Here is my list and I have the medical bills and test results to prove it....

My mood went from sunny to doom and gloom
Anxiety attacks
12 pounds of weight gain
Non stop bleeding for 36 days
complete loss of libido
now this is where it gets really interesting....
blood pressure spiked to dangerous levels from pre seasonique levels 105/60 to routinely 150/90 while on seasonique and its still not to the pre-seasonique levels over 1 year later
read the fine print....
i also had an ulcerated cornea, and was lucky to have escaped that without permanent vision loss....it causes dry eye and ulcerated corneas,particularly if you wear contacts.
and then once i FINALLY stopped bleeding after I stopped taking it I could finally get my annual pap smear performed...and...once again seasonique reared its ugly head and it came back with abnormal cells
Had to have laser surgery done to remove part of my cervix...

Yeah that was ALL in my head and caused by my anger, clar7420, hahahhahaha, if you are so pleased why are you here?

I go to my Dr. this week for my follow up. I am considering after speaking with her my contacting the FDA to alert them of my very REAL side effects and possibly seeking some relief from the damages from the drug company as well.

What angers me more than the awful experience on this drug is when "happy go lucky" supposedly happy as clam seasonique users come in here and behave as if others are just wackos when they have very real physical issues because of this drug. I'm happy you are doing well on this medication and glad for anyone else, however some people are not as lucky and to downplay their symptoms is downright ugly.

i an at the end of my 1st month on the second pack of seasonique sooo ummabout 4 th month  i have been experiencing SEVERE migranes (migraines) and for about a month id spot a lot and a little like everyother day, now for about 3 weeks i have been bleeding like a normal period bleed it started with normal cramps bloating a few breakouts on my face as usual but unusually it all stoped but the bleeding continued  doc cant seee me till week after next, i took a preg test just to ease my mind and it was neg,  im struggling bad with the migranes (migraines), and the bleeding is becoming a bother if u know what i mean  relationship wise... what is going on with my body  i find NOTHING on the internet
i had been on seasonique for 5yrs and thought I liked it. Everything changed once I started having galbladder problems,then the headaches. Then I had a blood clot in my left leg and the dr. told me I couldnt be on the BC anymore. I have been off the pill for one year and feel so much better my sex drive is higher,headaches are gone,i have lost about 30 lbs. My leg is also getting better and my galbladder isnt bugging me(knock on wood) I'm just waitng for the recall on the BC.
I am 42 and have been taking Seasonique for 3 years to suppress out of control estrogen and progesterone hormones that were exacerbating a kidney condition I have.  The first year was great.  The awful swelling, water weight gain and painful breasts got much better. The protein count in my urine went to 0 after having been a dangerous 4500 mg.     But it wasn't long before terrible fatigue and a non-existent sex drive set in.  I was angry or depressed all the time. I blamed all of this on the meds I was taking for the kidney disease, since diuretics and Prednisone have the same effects.  My moods and lack of libido were killing my marriage.  The fatigue and depression was killing my teaching career.  And I had gained 25 pounds.  Also, the combo of Seasonique and diuretics was lowering my potassium/electrolyte levels too much.   At the end of July, I ran out of Seasonique and couldn't get it refilled before I left for a long backpacking trip.  The first two/three weeks my moods were really crazy, but by the end of the third week my head started to clear and I felt happier and calmer.  Also, my libido was through the roof and my energy level was much better.  But the swelling is starting to come back as well as the swollen, painful breasts.  I wish I knew how to find a happy medium in all of this.  I don't want to have to choose between my health and my marriage/carreer/sanity.  
With any birth control pill the side effects are most of the time the same, to down play people's symptoms of a birth control drug is not good. You are strongly advised to report any problems you have with whatever birth control pill you are taking, especially depression, anxiety and severe sickness, ill like symptoms and or swelling, itching of the skin. This does not mean it is the actual pill to blame, it is the amount of hormones that are mixing with the hormones that are already produced in your body. If you produce a high amount of hormones and then take a birth control pill with a high dose of hormones, symptoms like severe cramps and migraines WILL occur. This means the hormone level in Seasonique or other Birth Control pills you may be taking are not right for you. This is why some have no side effects and others have dangerous ones. Your risk of bad side effects are stronger if you smoke and/or are older than 35.

I am currently on seasonique and so far it has taken all the problems I had before being on this pill,away. But that's because It is the right hormone level for my body, plus like most on Seasonique I suffer from endometriosis. I do not recomend this pill if your body produces a stronger than normal level of Hormones. Always discuss the possible side effects of birth control with your doctor before you start a new Birth Control pill. Sorry to all those who are having trouble with Seasonique. Hope you find the right pill for you!
Ive been taking this 7 weeks now. I have had cramping and bleeding last 7 days. I was put on this to reduce painful periods and PMS. I also have to take low dose asprin which makes my stomach sick. Ive lost 15 pounds in past 5 weeks but cant understand this cramping. Also it helped with my acne which I just recently started having issues with. I'm 38 years old and have had my tubes tied which I believe is causing all my female health issues. My biggest fear is heart attack or stroke.
I was diagnosed with PCOS this year and I have been dealing with multiple periods each month and most heavy with clotting, so after a few trial and errors my dr put me on seasonique.  I'm still in the first pack two weeks away from finishing.  My problem is i last month a forgot two pills in a row.  I took two when i remembered then continued as usual, but i imediately started a period.  I thought it was just coincidence, but this month i did it again and i'm now in my third week of bleeding and its heavy with clotting.  Has anyone heard of this or know if this is normal?  
I have been taking the Seasonique for about 5 years now, and was on a generic version of Seasonale for a study with my Ob/Gyn prior to that. For the last two years, I have been taking the pills straight through without the empty week every three months. My doctor and a couple of nurse practitioners I know have told me that there is no medical reason why the body should ever have a period except for pregnancy. I have passed my fertility window, so pregnancy is not an issue for me at all. I take the pill to mitigate heavy periods, fibrous cysts in my breasts, and because when I am not on the pill, they want to medicate me and lock me away. I am 90% LESS bitchy on the pill than I am off the pill. That is my particular body chemistry. And I will admit that I have been without libido since I started taking birth control about 23 years ago. When I have sex, it is a conscious decision to do something for my partner, not because I want to. I have learned to live with that. My partner doesnt love it, but he will learn to deal.

The reason I am posting is to help those of you who are having the weeks and weeks of breakthrough bleeding. I take the pills straight through with the intention of never having another period ever, but the body takes one when it thinks it needs one, I am told. So what happens is this: When you start bleeding, stop taking the pill. Go a week without a pill (using back-up birth control for that week and the week after you start up again). On the seventh day (it does not have to be a Sunday) start where you left off in your pack and continue taking the pills as usual. You should stop bleeding a couple of days after you restart the pills. It does not happen to me every cycle, but it happens rather frequently. Whenever we try to exert our will over that of nature, there are bound to be a few glitches. There are worse things.

Also, my Ob/Gyn tells me there is a new pill available that is continuous (as I have been treating my Seasonique), but I can continue taking mine as I have been. This tells me that it is likely ok to take any pill that works for your body chemistry on a continuous basis and get fewer periods. If the only reason you take Seasonique is to have fewer periods, you are not bound to that brand. If you are taking it for other medical reasons but would like to change brands, you can talk to your doctor too. The hormones affect many processes in the body, and can be worked out in other variations.

Good luck, girls!
I have been on Seasonique for about a year now and it has been wonderful. Before I started I came here and was scared from everything I was reading. But as someone pointed out most people who post here are having problems and I wanted those who were like me who come here to know that there are positive experiences with this pill. After the first three months my body adjusted and I went from extremely painful and heavy bleeding (before the pill) to light and easy once every three months. It has helped me so much because I literally could not function for three days a month and now I barely notice.

So I just wanted to put out there that there is a happy ending for some with this and don't be scared to try it. If it doesn't work for you after 6 months then get a new pill. I say try it because it has been amazing for me and it saddens me that so many people posting here are having so many negative side effects. I haven't experienced any yet.

Hope this helps some people.
How about a Stroke after just a few months on the pill? 45 yr old non smoker and a Stroke. Please be carfull
I used Seasonique a couple of years ago with no major problems to treat endomediosis symptoms.  I started taking them again as I was going on vacation and my period would hit at that time.  This time I had headaches, moodiness, depression, regular cramping like my period was about to start and never-ending breast tenderness.  As soon as my vacation was over I stopped taking them which was at the end of the second month.  My period came 5-days later and lasted about 4-days.  I have had a little spotting so far a few days after my period ended.  I'm happy to say I've been off Seasonique for two weeks and my breast don't hurt everytime they move and I'm returning to my happy self.
I am 39, have been on triphasil off and on for 15+ years with no problems.  A month ago I got the essure procedure and was given seasonique to use until my dye test.  In 4 weeks I have gained 12 pounds! My stomach is extremely bloated and my thighs are so big I cant fit into my jeans.  I do cardio for 45 mins daily, eat a healthy diet and weight train....YET I GAINED 12 POUNDS!!! I am extremely uncomfortable and would NOT recommend this medicine to anyone!!!!  I have stopped taking it and hopefully I get my period and the bloating goes away immediately!! I would appreciate feedback from those who have discontinued using this drug:  I NEED TO KNOW HOW LONG IT TAKES TO GET BACK TO NORMAL? I want my life back!!
i have been on loseasonique for one month...still not sure how this works, but i will soon. i have had mild signs of depression and a few small breakouts. i also get severe headaches. what is going on????? i hope i dont have weight gain but i have been very tired lately. help.
I have been on Seasonique for three packs and I have two weeks left of the active pills and one week left on the inactive pills. Two weeks ago (Sunday Nov. 21st) I started to notice brown bleeding that night. I though it wouldn't last long, but it has. It hasn't stopped since that night and mixed in with the brown has been reddish brown bleeding. I have been good taking my pills at the same time every night, except one night because of the clock change (I took it 45 mins. before I should have taken it). I am on Seasonique because I use to experience terrible periods. I am spending a lot of money on this medicine and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if it is going to stop anytime soon. I also read somewhere that Tylenol can interfere. Could this have been the problem? I am very concerned; any help/information is greatly appreciated
Thank you!  
My wife started using a generic form of seasonique, and our marriage has been rocky ever since.  I was used to the once a month friend, and knoew hormones could play a part in her mood, but with the birthcontrol pill, I was hoping for the mood to change every three months too.  Instead she is like a Dr. Jeckyl and Mrs. Hyde.  One week fine, the next crazy.  What can I do, before our marriage falls apart.  Any suggestions?
I have been on Seasonique startin my third pack and I really like it other then some break through bleeding here in there but dont last long and my period this month ws very light and short...I hve server endometriosis and I have to say I feel so much better...Im 25 and had 9 surgerys for the endo...This bc has actually increased my sex drive and my husband aand I are really gettin long good...Yes I do have mood swings here n there but I tell my husband so he knows to watch out haha...This past week I got sick and not taken zpack antibiotic now my ? is whats my chances of gettin pregnant if I choose not to use other form of protection....
i was seasonique for only 5 weeks before i finally had enough. At 3 weeks i got my period and had it for almost 3 weeks when i phoned my doctor she told me its just breakthrough bleeding and to keep taking it. I never had a heavy period like i was did when i was on this pill This is probably the worst birth control pill ever and do not recommend anyon to take it
I'm on my 9th week with this BC. I had a few symptoms: bloating, spotting, headaches, and breast tenderness/enlargement. I feel a little moody sometimes, as well. After reading the majority of these comments, I've decided to wait it out and see what happens after the three months have gone by. I've also talked to my doctor and she's assured me that these side affects are normal and will go away after my body has adjusted.

Note:
Just because the pill doesn't work for you, it doesn't mean it's bad for everyone else, too. Our bodies are different and will respond differently to this BC. Please stop the "DON'T TAKE THIS PILL" comments - it's annoying and doesn't help anyone. But feel free to leave your stories - that part is okay and helpful.
IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE TAHT HAS ANY EXTRA SEASONIQUE THAT HAS NOT BEEN OPEN. I DO NOT HAVE INSURANCE AND IT IS VERY EXPIENCIVE TO PURCHASE. I HAVE BEEN TAKING IT FOR 2 YEARS FOR MY ENDO. IT SEAMS TO WORK GREAT:) PLEASE CONTACT ME AT 810732-1066 BECKY
I think you can go to Planned Parenthood or your local health Department to obtain free pills, no matter your income.  You should check for sure and looking for free meds online from strangers is probably not a great idea, just a thought.
I began taking Seasonique in 2008 around the same time I began my new job. I began losing hair and gaining weight, however I thought it was related to my new job and the stress from it. Once the stress of a new job was gone, I was still losing hair. I was put on Seasonique because I have dysmenorrhea. I had been using other forms of birth control including orthotricycline however my  cycles were still incredibly debilitating, including having to use sick days one or two days a month for work. This Christmas (2010) my hair loss has become very noticeable and my mom spoke with me about her concern. I made an appointment with my gyno this upcoming week and have stopped taking Seasonique. I am now taking B12 and Folic Acid in hopes that my hair will grow back. I am also using hairsil accelerator that I purchased from Walmart. I am not sure of the results as I just began taking it, but it makes my hair have more body and for now helps cover the bald spots that are at my hairline and back of my hair. Each person reacts differently to medication but it definitely is not for me.
Did your doctor educate you at all on your medical issues? Abnormal cervical cells are not caused by seasonique. They are caused by HPV, human papiloma virus, an STD that about 90% of the population has. Men are the carriers and pass it along to women.  3 strains cause precancerous cells, some cause genital warts, and some strains don't really do anything at all.  

It's not fair to scare away women who might benefit from this pill because you are misinformed about your health issues.  I have been on seasonique for 5 years, I wear contact lenses and have never had an ulcerated cornea, horrific mood swings, or a period longer than 3 days.

No one is down playing your symptoms but get your scientific facts straight before you make absurd claims!  
Beppie-Did your doctor educate you at all on your medical issues? Abnormal cervical cells are not caused by seasonique. They are caused by HPV, human papiloma virus, an STD that about 90% of the population has. Men are the carriers and pass it along to women.  3 strains cause precancerous cells, some cause genital warts, and some strains don't really do anything at all.  

I was on Seasonqiue for about a year. I never thought about it. I would get sick and throw up a lot with headaches at east once a month. I was never sexually active so no one knew what was wrong. After about 9 months on it I started getting worse. Went to doctors had a load of test and it was said I was throwing up and getting very ill because of stress. I said ok and went on my way. Last month I started throwing up, passing out and it was really scary. I would find myself waking up to my parents in panic, me on the floor covered in my own excrement's. After this happening a few times and me hitting my head and passing out over and over my parnets took me to the ER. Still did a slew of test and nothing was found. I was just searching the internet one day and found a lady saying she got sick from her mirana. It was like a light bulb going off. "You are getting sick from the hormons!" I have not taken a pill in almost 8 weeks and I have yet to have any problems and its so nice not have thrown up in weeks! I'm currently having my first post-seaonique persiod and I'm having back pain really bad though. Just one problem after another with this pill. I swear its haunting me.
i am on this 3 pack because of bleeding non stop kool aid (in color) or new blood and watery looking i have a bluish tint to my finger nails do to this blood lose, this 3 pack is to help thicken my blood out side of needing a blood trasfution, i want a hysterectomy do by a robot( da Vinci robotic) but because of my thin blood they wont let me, i am finishing up my second week of the orang pills of the first month only so we will see how things look. you all make me feel nervuse about taking this pack but i am on it to slow the bleeding/thinken the blood and in hopes to rid my self of this bluish color i have. thank you
I have been taking seasonique for about 2 yrs now for severe endometriosis. Initially, i had breakthrough bleeding for about 5months which resulted in a low blood pressure, had to resort to taking iron pills for a while. So i had to start taking two pills a day to stop the bleeding which actually helped. Did that for about 3 months then went back to a pill a day.
So far, i have had no weight gain, i did have migraines at the beginning but its stopped, my period comes every quarter and no longer than 4days with some crampimg and then all goes back to normal.
I have some breast tenderness, no acne, minor mood swings, and sex drive is ok and no pain at all.
I really would recommend seasonique, you only have to get through the first months for your body to adjust to it and then you should be fine.
Thank you to all who have posted information about their experiences with Seasonique.  I am going to share my experience as well, in the case that my experience might help others who are trying to make a decision whether or not this bc pill is right for them or not.  I am 46, and primarily went on Seasonsique because I was experiencing disabling mood swings (irritablitlity, depression, fatigue) from monthly hormonal flucuations during ovulation and menstation.  I have gone through two 3-packs, or six months of Seasonique now.  I have experienced the following:

Spot bleeding/premature periods only when I do not take the pill at the same time everyday

I have never taken the "pill period" yellow pills--once I got my "scheduled" period, and once I did not

Improved moods and less fatigue

Five months into the protocol, I developed a rash on my chest, which lasted a week.  

I have not experienced breast tenderness on this pill, or acne.

I had a severe headache for a full day recently, during my pill period

My sex drive has decreased from what it was, but I still have a sex drive

I have gained weight, approximately 10 poounds. I am a slender person, and this additional weight is unbearable for me.  I can't stand it.

I love not having periods!  Therefore, this pill has had mixed blessings for me. I need to make a decision as to whether to continue on Seasonique or get off, primarily due to the weight gain.  I am tempted to get this pill, see if I can shed this weight, and in the process document my mood swings and see if I begin suffering again on the emotional side of things.  If I do not lose the weight, than perhaps my age is now a factor, and my metabolism is slowing down,  and has caused the weight gain.  However, I am more convienced that the pill is causing the weight gain.  For women, weight gain in and of itself can be hard on the psyche.

It is really hard to find a doctor that really knows what they are doing when perscribing hormones, and can keep working with you until you find the proper pill for your body chemistry, which changes with age.  If anyone knows of an execptional obgyn in Milwaukee, Wisonsin, please post their name.

I wish everyone the best who has been troubled by this pill, and I hope you can find an alternative that is right for you.

I've been on the pill for a year now, I just started taking the yellow pills this past sunday and I still haven't gotten my period. I have three pills left. I'm getting scared! Has this happened to anyone before? When do you start to get your period?
Im in my third month of this BC pill adnd the first 2 monthhs were great...slightly moody but now im in the second week of my third montth and have had a "period' for 9 days now. Not sure what to do!
  I am 20 and have been on Seasonique for a year, give or take, and have had very similar experiences with it. At first it was okay, there was typical breakthrough bleeding during the first pack. But then I started noticing I was feeling mopey and depressed and I was becoming angry far too often. I was bleeding more often than not, I would bleed for all but a few days of the month. It varied from extremely heavy with clots to yucky old blood. My sex drive was pretty much non-existent as well (not that my partner and I would want to what with all the bleeding). I haven't experienced any weight gain or loss and there hasn't been any change in my eating habits. After I got back on insurance at the beginning of this year I made an appointment with my ob/gyn and have now been off of seasonique for almost a month. I feel so much better than when I was on the pill. I have a follow-up appointment to find yet again another new birth control.

Overall, I personally would not use this pill, but it is different for everyone. If you are considering seasonique, please be cautious of the various side effects that we have all posted, they are very real and could potentially lead to more severe health problems if taken lightly.

Good luck!
I used to take my orthotricyclen with a Thursday start so that my periods did not happen over the weekend, so when I started Seasonique I started on Thursday, too, as suggested by my ob/gyn.  When I got to the yellow pills at the end of my pack, my period started when I took the second yellow pill--right on the weekend (Saturday).  So I decided to go ahead and skip the rest of the yellow pills and start the new pack on Sunday, thinking I would have a weekday period this way--well I am now on my 8th day of my period, even though I have taken 7 of the greenish pills.  Will this neverending period stop?  I used to have light 3 day periods with the orthotricyclen. It is still light, but lasting forever.  I also noticed some really big clumps the first two days of the period.
I'm 42 and I've just started taking them and I was wondering if someone could help me. Are we suppose to have cramps in your lower stomach these are like menstrual cramps, the reason why I'm taking is my doctor thought it would stop my body from releasing eggs. I have an cyst on my ovaries she said hopefully this will help but I'm cramping can someone help
Im 21yrs old and my doctor put me on this medicine due to me not stopping my period for two months straight and then i went back to him bc i was on estrogen and the BC but i still didnt stop so i went back to him and he put me on more estrogen and iron pills because i was enimic and still taking the BC it has been a total of 7months and i still have NOT stop my menstrual I dont know what to do does anyone have any advice? When i take the BC i grip my man out, hard on my kid, which breaks my heart, im depressed which i totally hate becasue im a happy person and I get sick and stay so sleepy, I dont know what to do anymore.Plz someone help me
My experience with Seasonique was terrible! About 3 weeks ago I started getting severe headaches that would not go away with any over the counter drugs. So I simply diagnosed it as have migraine, well this "headache" lasted about 5 days and it still wasn't going away. My doctor said that the symptoms were not typical of the normal migraine so she ordered an MRI. The MRI showed that I had venous thrombosis, a blood clot in the main vein in my brain. I was admitted to the hospital for 2 weeks to monitor this clot and the 5 Neurologist that studied my case had told me it was because of the Seasonique! So now I am on Coumadin for the next 6-9 month to eventually unblock the blood clot! So if you are having severe headache don't ignore them, pay close attention because it could be more serious then you think it is.
I have been on Seasonique for 3 months now (had taken Seasonale for a few years with no problems before switching) and have nothing but problems. I've had on-and-off cramping, 12 lb weight gain and bloating, breast tenderness, problems with my contacts, dizziness, fatigue, moodiness and no sex drive. I am definitely having my doctor switch me back to Seasonale...I can't take this anymore!!
There is NO GENERIC for Seasonique. The patent for it doesn't expire till 2023, which means there will be no generic till then. People claiming to have taken a generic of Seasonique are mistaken about what they were taking. There is no generic and won't be for a long time.

That said, I've been taking Seasonique for over 4 years now. In the first year I still had some spotting but the past 3 years have been completely period-free. I've had a little cramping around the time I'd normally get a period but no blood and it doesn't last more than a couple of days. I've had no cysts since starting this pill (which is a major blessing). I've had occasional moodiness but that happens without any BC too around 'that time'.

One side effect that I have noticed that I don't care for is that it's changed the scent of my sweat. I've never had very strong sweat-scent but this pill's definitely made it stronger with a chemical undertone. That's livable though. What's not is the fact that my insurance no longer covers this brand so they want over $200 for a 3 month pack now. I wish there *was* a generic because I can't afford the new, much-higher price.
Hey,
    I'm 20 years old and I am experiencing similar side effects. I was on Ortho Tri-lo birth control which was okay, but the reason why I switched was because I was getting cramps from it. My doctor switched me to the generic brand of seasonique which has been awful! I have been getting so sick every single day, mostly at nights. I weigh 100 pounds and I normally just ate mcdonalds all the time..and i recently started changing my ways to healthier foods, and I started exorcising more to stay in shape to see if my stomach cramps would go away. Nothing helped/helps. I am currently still on this pill but I am going to switch to something else. I am nothing but tired all the time..so I know how you feel. If you happen to switch birth controls and find one that you really like, please let me know..and I'll do the same. Good luck girl! :)
I am in my 4th week of Seasonique and so far everything seems fine.  I was on birth control before and my OB/GYN said that it helps if you've already been on bc to start a pill like this one.  I also have endometriosis so the thought of less periods was appealing to me.  I have had a tubal so the only reason I take the pill is to help with periods.  Before I started taking the pill again after my tubal I had severe cramping and heavy periods.  I also have fibrocystic disease in my breasts and around the time of my period they would become extremely painful.  Since starting the pill that pain has stopped and there is no more tenderness.  I did however forget to take the pill (the regular 28 day pill)  twice and then dropped one down the sink.........this resulted in a 12 day period.  I took my last 28 day pack had a period and then started Seasonique.  I haven't had any breakthrough bleeding so far.  This is the week I would normally have a period.  I have always been moody and always have trouble losing weight so I cannot contribute any of that to any pill.  I think my libido dropped all by itself a couple years ago before taking the pill again so I can't blame that on it either.  Usually regular exercise and doing things that make you feel good about yourself help with that (in my experience that is).
Anyway so far so good for me.  Hope those of you that are having issues find one that works for you.  I do however wish it was less expensive.  There are some generic versions, though I'm sure not exactly the same.  My OB/GYN said that the brand name works best.  Good luck to all of you.
No complaints on Seasonique except now!! This is my first period while taking this BC and i am still going on day 7!! Nothing heavy, in fact i don't even know i am until i go to the restroom and wipe (sorry to be so blunt) and it is a light brown color. UGH! But other then that i love this pill. My first month of taking it i was so sick. I had headaches, severe backaches, and my breasts were so so sore. I was also throwing up and nauseated but that only lasted for about 2-3 weeks. I would say if you can hang in there.
Ive been taking Seasonique for almost a yr now.. my question is what happens if u skip the yellow pills? I know this is the wk Im supposed to get my period but Im gng out of town n Id rather not have it.. Is it safe?? Please help!!
You are rediculous have you ever thought of maybe marriage couseling rather than oh shes on the pill and we dont have sex so lets get divorced. It could be other issues, but if you are so quick to divorce her over that than you dont deserve her anyway, and good luck finding anyone else thats willing to put up with your arrogant self. Theres alot of chicks on birth control and I doubt there going to stop for you!
So how long after starting lo seasonique did the bleeding stop, I've been taking it for 7 weeks now and I have been bleeding heavy with clots for two of the 7 weeks, All really want to do is sleep, I can't enjoy normal activities because of the bleeding. Someone please have an answer  .
I've been taking these pills for about 3 years now after having gone through a couple of failed IVF attempts. Since I am unable to become pregnant I did not see the reason to keep having horrible terrible cramps every 3-4 weeks. I'm 41 and a non-smoker.  Seasonique is a huge blessing and I LOVE my life without cramps!! I get migraine like headaches around the time of the yellow pills and my bleeding has gone down to almost nothing over the past year. For the first time, I decided today that I would just skip the yellow pills and move to the next blue/green ones instead. According to doctors, there really isn't any biological reason to bring on this 'artificial' bleeding that comes with the yellow pills; it's put in there so that it will seem more natural, having a period once in a while. Now I'm sick of the headaches too and won't miss a thing. My sex drive has been low for many years and I'm suspecting that it's the pills, but I'm not sure. I've also developed a slightly high blood pressure, which I also don't know if it's due to the pills. Overall, I'm really happy with Seasonique -- they changed my life for the better.
I started taking seasonique In December and half way through the second pack i got a period that was more like a normal period than it was light. I called my obgyn about it when it wouldn't stop after 3 weeks, he said i should stay on it if i can get through it that it should get better. I decided to go off it and my period did end. I stayed off it for a month and then went back on it. It was fine until about 3 weeks into that second pack i started having severe anxiety attacks to the point it would make me nauseus and i would have IBS problems at the same time. I also could not take a car ride cause that would only worsen my nausea. I didn't associate the episodes to the birthcontrol until i read some of these posts. I have been off the bc for about 2 weeks now and I have not had another episode yet, where when i was getting anxiety attacks it was at least once a week. I am hoping being off this bc will eliminate my anxiety because i was perfectly fine before i started taking this B
I didnt get to finish what i was saying, i accidentally posted my last comment before i could finish. Anyway, I also have had some other bad side effects like more hair loss then usual, not balding yet but i can tell it's thinner. I also was very tired all the time, my husband didn't know why i was always wanting to go to bed early, and of course the sex drive was non existent. Like i said i have been off it for more then 2 weeks now and it seems the hair is getting better and the sex drive was back right away. I still think i've got a little way before i am back to normal nut i hope soon. I really think it messed me up good.
I am 35 years old and started taking this pill about 5 months ago for treatment of endometriosis and severe cramping.  I had taken BCP's before for cramping but just discovered it was endo late last year.

I was very excited at the thought of just getting my period every three months or so and even if the pain was the same, I could find a way to deal with it which is what I did when I got my first period on this pill.  The pain was the same as before but it was nice to go three months without dealing with the pain.  I did have spotting every day on this pill, however.

Recently, I have been noticing that around the weeks that I would have been ovulating, I have been experiencing severe depression and anxiety and panic attacks.  I have never had these issues before even on the other BCP's.  The depression and anxiety has been so unbareable and a new experience for me that it has me worried that I have permanently brought on chemical changes in my body.  I know the hormones will leave my system, but I am wondering when.  I stopped taking the pill a few days ago and am still feeling in a funk.  I am normally an upbeat and cheery person, so I very frustrated and worried.  Anyone know how long it should take to subside?
Do not take Seasonique!
I've only been on the drug for a week and a half and it has made me psycho. My boyfriend told me he wanted to lock me in a change! DO NOT TAKE THIS!
I'm 38 and went on Seasonique because my PMS was unbearable. My Gyn suggested that stopping my period all together would be better than using another BC that would only slightly help the PMS.
Though this was my experience-
Right away came bloating and increased food cravings. My weight has gone up some despite lowering my caloric intake. The spotting started daily after the first month along with breast tenderness, swelling abdomen, night sweats, daily mood swings, headaches, and zero sex drive. I felt instead of getting my period once a month, I was having it everyday without the actual normal menstrual bleeding!! I tried very hard to stick with it hoping symptom would subside but instead the got worse!!!  
I'm only on my first pack but on the last week of pills and let's just say I HATE the hormones, lack of a sex drive and the having to take a pill everyday so I am getting a laparoscopic tubal next Tuesday. I hope to regain my drive and not be moody and emotional after the surgery.  I'm scared about the period that the yellow pills will bring. I wish I had another pack to just skip the period til after my surgery. but i am not going to pay $30 for a week of pills. dang!
I have been on seasonique since the birth of my daughter in early march 2010 I absolutly loved it.
my OBGYN knew from previous vistist that i have had issues with other birth controls such as headaches severe cramping bleeding and basically almost bed ridden from pain either in my head and or lower abdomen.

she told me to try seasonique and i would have to be on it for a full 6 months before reconsidering a swap cause i need to give it a chance and the bench march to have the hormones level out is around 6 months so i gave it a shot and i loved it i was on the low dose and it was amazing with the exception of like wanting no sex and minor mood swings.   this past march ( 2011) when i went back to her we opted for regular dose.

jan (2011) through feb and march i was having three week periods.   I noticed that i was having mood issues and it got tot he point where i was not even sleeping in the same bed as my SO.  and i like really wanted nothign to do wiht him and i was not enjoying my daughter as i should have been.  she told me this could be PPD and so also gave me zoloft in addition to regular dose  seasonique. and omg it went worse.

i started having bad fits that i could not control of just complete anger for no reason. my SO has contemplated leaving me once because of it all.  i have no sex drive while i was on this pill and moody. well beyond moody i have had worse depression and eventually i started taking things into my own hands. i stopped taking the zoloft thinking it was a mix of the pills.   if i wasnt on the zoloft i felt like i was about ready to murder some one cause i was so angry. it was like the zoloft was trying to fix a problem the  birth control pills were creating. i am finally off both the seasonique and zoloft and have been  for almost a month i took it so irregular the last month that i took any pills just to figure out what was causing my problems.  now a month later i have not had a period infact i have not had a period since the week before my march appoint ment wiht my OB.  does any one know when i could possibly get my periord???  there also may be a slight chance of pregnancy cause of the irregularity of in the last two months of the pills.

i know i probably should have given it another 6 months on the seasonie regular to try and get past so it all could level out again but i dont want to rish losing my SO over it nor do i need to scare my 15 month old daughter cause mommy is psychotic from taking her birth control.

I also tried Seasonique because my OBGYN recommended it. The first month went well, but after two weeks into the second month, things changed.  I was sitting at work on day when all the sudden i started to have anxiety which then led into a panic attack. I have never had issues before like this and it scared me to death, i felt like i was losing my mind and felt suicidal. This scared me even more because i have two precious children and a husband who need me. So i was convinced that it was the bc, but my obgyn didn't seem to think so, he thought it was stress related.  He wanted to put me on Zoloft, but i never picked up the prescription. The day after i had the episode at work, i started spotting. My mood leveled out, but i was still feeling as if i was in a bubble. After bleeding for two weeks i called my OBGYN to say i wanted to get off of seasonique and go back to ortho-tri lo, somthing i was familiar with.  After three days of being off of it, i felt so much better. BUT, i am still bleeding, going into my fourth week of having a period. I have never had any issues before seasonique or never bled longer than three days. This bc really messed me up and i am still trying to get back to normal.  I'm not saying don't try seasonique, but if you start having crazy mood swings and side effects, don't let them tell you that you need an anti-depressant, stop taking the bc first to see if you feel better. Antidepressants can be life savers, but don't let hormones make you become dependant on them if you can fix the problem instead of putting a bandaid on it.  Good Luck!
Thank god for this website!!!  I have been on seasonique for almost three months.  After the first two packs were done, I started bleeding and have yet to stop.  I should start the yellow pills in three days but have decided to pitch them and go back to old faithful triphasil.  I never missed a pill and took it at the same time time every night as part of my bedtime routine.  I have been on several different bc including depo.  I get migraines before during and after my periods so my Dr switched me to seasonique.  Until reading all these posts, I thought I was losing my mind.  I have never had depression, anxiety, or nervousness issues before.  I have a hard time sleeping, mainly because I lay in bed and my mind races.  When I do sleep, I feel exhausted all day with no energy.  Just reading everyone's posts has made me cry.  A non stop fear of doom, forbodding and death have been plaguing me all summer (when I started these pills) and until an hour ago I was convinced I needed therapy because something was wrong.  Oh yeah, and don't forget the absolute loss of interest in sex.  I can't even stand for him to touch me.  I talked to my Dr yesterday about all these issues and was told to stop taking them for 5 days and stop the war with my uterus and just let it bleed.  Unfortunately that will likely not stop the other issues which I am more concerned about.  I will gladly have a migraine, cramps and bleeding every month if it means I can get back my previous mental health (sanity!!).  Someone suggested I have my thyroid checked because this could be the issue too and plan to call my family doctor tomorrow but as for the pills, I think I'm done with them!!!  I am 36 and have never dealt with any side effects from bc in the 15 yrs on and off that I've taken it.
I have had the exact same issues.  The only difference is that I have been on this BC for 3 years, and i just started having the anxiety and panick attacks in the last 6 months.  I also get very nauseous, IBS and lose my appetite every month when I should be getting my period.  Your post sounded like I should have wrote it.  I am definitely getting off this BC to, atleast see if is the cause of how I am feeling.  
I too posted about the same issues a while back.  These posts made up my mind about discontinuing this pill.  For me, it took 5 months for me to realize what was happening to me.  Every month around the time I would be ovulating, I would feel off and just attributed it to either being sick, allergies, or just an emotional day.  But, by the 5th month, I couldn't take it.  I had a severe depressive episode and the anxiety was out of control  I thought I was having a heart attack. I felt hopeless and helpless and this was all new to me.

I found this message board and around that time and stopped the pill immediately.  I have been off of it for about 6 weeks now, and unfortunately, I am still suffering from the depression and anxiety... and anxiety over the depression and when it will stop.  Up until this pill, I never had these issues and was always a positive person.  Now, I am emotional and anxious ALOT and don't know when I will return to normal.  It is very upsetting to me what this pill has done to me and my coping abilities.  We should all sue them for this.  I have heard of side effects, but this is just beyond the worst.  
Ive been taking it for one year exactly Sunday. This period is by far the worse. Im swollen, as before, very sleepy, as before, I am and have turned into an emotional wreck during period week on this pill. This go around I am having panic attacks and waking up all through the night. It was great the first few months, but it appears to wear and tear on your body. Ive watched my skin change this summer along with some healing issues. Im 32, have one child that is13, so Ive been on a BC for many years. The Depo Shot was the worst by far. I would say that ortho tri cyclen was the best bc by far and let it be known that since i was 19 I have tried many, looking for the best results. I am getting my tubes tied so my body can do its natural process. I believe I am too old too keep on with BC after being on it so many years. Like any medicine, it does do things to your body.  But Seasonque was my final convincing step to tie my tubes and let it be.
Ive just started seasonique just this month i have three pills left til i start next months, i was wondering if anyone else has felt hot flashes?

Im 19 i dont even think that someone at my age could get them but i feel hot all the time and its just me beacuse everyone else around me never seems to feel as hot a I feel and this is everyday.
I'm trying seasonique after about 3 years on the deprovera shot.  I have bad knees so the weight gain from a shot was the reason I got off it.  I'm almost through the 1st month dose and noticing my breasts have been rather tender throughout the month (hasn't been this tender since when I had my daughter in 2004) and itchy.  No discharge, no rash, no spotting (though I think that comes from the 3 years on the shot and having no period...so still waiting for rest of my body to realize I can bleed again).  Any advice on the breast issue?  I've noticed my appetitie hasn't been as bad as when I was on the shot so maybe I can lose some of the 20 lbs I seemed to gained, and my acne is improving...not miraculously but better.

But if anyone has advice on the breast sensitivity or itching?  I know I sometimes have had issues with clogged lymph nodes (armpit and breast.) in the past...could the pill be increasing it?
I have been a Seasonique user for about 2 years now after trying a dozen other pills and it seems to work best for me. I am 19 now, when i was 13 I had a cyst the size of a grapefruit on one of my ovaries after that i was put on birth control to keep my poly-cystic ovarian syndrome under control. I went to 2 different docs one wanted to put me on a pill that didn't seem to work and give me the monthly shots I didn't feel like that would be a good idea so i sought a second opinion. My second doc tried a couple different meds but I still couldnt get my periods under control finally she gave me seasonique saying that there was no reason i should have to have such severe pain every week. The first month i wasnt sure but now i like it.
Ask ur doc about a Rx that will stop ur period. I had a similar problem and the BC pills probably arent a strong enough to stop it. my doc gave me a prescription for a drug thats just 7 pills it worked for me.
There is a "permanent" birth control that may completely stop your period. It is only if you do not want to have biological children EVER. Basically your doctor will burn/scrape off the cells inside your uterus. Just Google “ENDOMETRIAL ABLATION”

I took this pill for about 5 years and it was great. Stopped taking it to try out an IUD, it was horrible and I had it removed after  about 8 or 9 months. I have now been back on the pill for almost 3 months and my body is having a hard time adjusting. So my advice is if this pill is helping at all stay with it because you may not be able to go back to it and have it help again.
I had a terrible experience with Seasonique. Prior to taking it, I was on Nuva Ring. I loved it, but the price kept going up $10-$15 at a time, so I tried switching over.

The first thing I noticed with the pill is that I started getting a headache every single afternoon. I took my pill around 9am every day, and by 1 or 2, I had a blinding headache. My doctor had told me that I might experience some break through bleeding the first month, so I dealt with it, but well into my 2nd month I was having full blow period-esque bleeding every day. My appetite increased, and I gained a total of 12 lbs in 2 months. I also bloated and had cramps on a sporadic basis. I also was quite a bit more emotional than I normally am.

On a positive note, my boobs went up a cup size (no doubt due to the 12 lbs :P). Overall, this pill is not worth constant pain and bleeding all the time. I switched back to the ring, and I'm waiting to start feeling l like myself again.
Ive been taking seasonique for 3+ years. I love it rarely any side effects I am a smoker and do smoke on this pill and I am perfectly fine (keep in mind I am 23) being older differs your risk, I gained about 10 pounds however, it went straight to my butt so I'm fine with that =) and i grew a cup size =) all the while i love have fewer periods i actually get my period about every 4 + months which worries me sometimes so i asked my doc and she said everyone is different and this pill will affect everyone differently if your wondering about trying this pill jus give it a shot and if you have concerns go over them with ur doc.
hey, does anyone get a really dark discharge while taking seasonique but only during the time of the month you would regularly get your period?
I am just going on to my third month of Seasonique. I changed to Seansonique after having a 14 day, heavy period while taking Alesse. I am also a migraine sufferer so any pill has the potential to make it worse. The first month on Seasonique was fine, I had no concerns. However, the second month I had 12 migraines (whereas before the pill I had 1 migraine every 2 months). Near the middle/end of the second month I began having hot flashes, nausea, and severe cramping. I am going onto my third month right now but I don't know if I can take the side effects anymore. It is affecting my every day life, I can't eat normally anymore (due to the nausea) and I feel like a women going through menopause with the hot flashes. I have also experienced noticeable weight gain. My self confidence has gone down and I don't feel good about myself at all. I would NOT recommend anyone taking this pill.
I decided to take Seasonique to help regulate my incredibly irregular periods.  Took the pills for 10 weeks and had break through bleeding every day.  I also had nausea sometimes in the evening after taking the pill.  I stopped taking the pill a week ago and the spotting has stopped.  Had the exact opposit effect I was looking for.
I have been on this pill for about year or little after.. Has anyone noticed alot of abdominal pain/bloating/gas while taking this pill.  I have to agree with the other posts about crazy emotional issues and now after reading these I feel most of this could be due to the pill!  It's just given my time frame, I've had a lot of stomach problems mainly horrible pain and just wonder if there is a link.  I have gone to specialists thinking thyroid, ulcers, had various procedures done.. help?
Yes there is a generic for Seasonique.  It is called Camrese.  I just refilled 10/01/11 and my insurance would not pay any longer for Seasonique because of the generic.  I love Seasonique (Camrese).  I have been on it for several years and have not experienced any problems at all.  I wish my doctor would have put me on it sooner as I love only getting my period every three months.
My wife Monique was was switched to Seasonique by her obgyn in August 2011 and had a major stroke September 3, 2011.

I wasn’t convinced the birth control was responsible but we’ve had many tests done all of which are inconclusive. I am now convinced that Seasonique is the source of the stroke. She did have extensive blood testing performed which came back negative so, unlike Carmen Messina (see this article http://www.womensadventuremagazine.com/issues/summer-2011/aspire-summer-2011/risky-business/) , Monique does not have the clotting mutation. Monique is also exhibiting another side affect of Seasonique, extreme hair loss.

My wife is in perfect health, watches her diet and has been exercising for years. In fact, for the 5 months before her stroke she had been exercising 2 hours a day 5 days a week with noticeable results.

I’ve started my research on Seasonique and have found this forum and thought I would share this information. I’d strongly recommend women thoroughly research their birth control options and consider the risks.

I usually don't post on these things, especially if I have something negative to say, but I felt this should be my exception.

I started taking this pill almost 3 months ago and I am on no other medication. The first 3-4 weeks I felt completely normal and was pretty excited about only getting my period 4 times a year. Then I noticed spotting occurring, at first just a little bit but then it got like I was actually having a period. Next, I started crying for days and became super depressed. I attested to being a recent college grad and not yet finding a job, but looking back on it I have never been that depressed before in my life. Finally, every time I took a shower I noticed multiple hairs coming off and in my hands.

When I was about 3 weeks away from finishing my final pack, I couldn't take it anymore. I went online and found multiple other testimonials of other women going through the same thing as me. I felt beyond relieved. I started taking it that day and now it's been about 2 weeks since I've stopped taking it. I feel fantastic, not only am I no longer crying for hours and having a general gloom about the world, I noticed I lost a lot of bloat. I am very happy with my decision.

I really hope this helps someone else out, because the previous posts helped me come to my senses.
I am also taking seasonique due to endometriosis...I had the same feeling like you guys and did the same call the doctor and they told me the same thing...they were right it takes about the first 3 months for your body to get used to the pill...I have been on the pill for 7 mos now and I feel great.
yes i do it has making me neusated and im only a few into it
I am on this type of bc. It took my body a while to do one period once every 3 months for a while it was one a month for two months. Lol. I didn't have those symptoms some of those sound Like pregnancy.
I have been on seasonique for three yrs I just got off in june 2010 & was wondering how long until I can conceive?? My periods come exactly on time but im having trouble conceiving help!!!!
I HATE this BC pill!  I started the pill at recommendation of my M.D. due to anemia and the thought was I would only get my period 4 times per year, and hence, improve the anemia thing.  Well, not only have I been bleeding like a normal period for 2.5 weeks without any look to slowing down, but I am an emotional wreck!  I get very down and depressed for days, weepy, angry, and then because I am anemic, I have NO energy.  Not to mention no ability to have sex with my husband for almost 3 weeks now!  I cannot even find any resolution to being able stop it!  I have read several other posts with hopes to find a "cure" to stopping the bleeding, but nothing!  This pill should be taken off the market!  
I am 33 years old and I am hypothyroid. I am on Armour thyroid medication (120mg). I was taking Tilia FE, but I was having strange symptoms. The week before my period I was getting bad headaches and cramps. I was falling asleep in the daytime and waking up in the middle of the night and I had hot flashes. My doctor wanted me to try Lo Seasonique thinking that those symptoms would subside.

After a week of taking it, my breasts were swollen. They were a whole size larger than usual and if I touched them, it was painful. That has never happened to me on any other birth control.

After two weeks, I had breakthrough bleeding. This lasted for two weeks straight. I read online that I needed to take the pill at the exact same time every day. I did and the bleeding subsided.

A month into taking the pill I was having serious pains on the left side of my stomach under my breast. I didn’t know what it was. It was so painful that it was waking me up in the middle of the night. I found myself rocking back and forth trying to make the pain go away. After 5 days, it went away. I went to my internal medicine doctor to get it checked out just in case. After some tests and an ultra sound they found that I developed an ovarian cyst.

I didn’t stop taking the pill then because I was close to finishing out the pill pack and I know how horrible it is to stop taking the pill in the middle of the pack. The last week when I was supposed to get my period, it didn't come.

During the three months I was on Lo Seasonique, I gained a total of 16 lbs. During that time my eating did not change (I track what I eat) nor has my exercise routine. As a result, I have stopped taking Lo Seasonique and I went back to Tilia Fe.

What I want to know is, how long will it take my body to go back to the way it was before I started taking Lo Seasonique?

This has been a nightmare.      
I been on the pill for 9 months and a week before i will start my period i will get really bad pms. even if i am not bleeding. I would get really bad for no reason. also cry over nothing.
I am on my 5th month of Seasonique. At first, I thought that this pill was great. I didn't really have a lot of the other problems that other people are listing. However, in the past few weeks I have had terrible stomach pain and cramps. I also have difficulty going to the bathroom recently, which I think may very well be due to this medication. After reading this forum I wanted to stop taking this BC immediately, but last time I stopped taking my BC  cold turkey I spent the next week in bed with terrible cramps that left me unable to walk. I'd also like to mention that I started taking this medication because I have terrible cramping during my periods, along with hot flashes, blacking out, and nausea. I also have been diagnosed with an ovarian cyst that has been there for a little over a year now. The only reason I switched to Seasonique was because my periods were still extremely painful on other birth controls and I was missing way too much school and work. So, now instead of missing a week of work and school once a month I only have to do it once every three. However, the cramps that I experience halfway through my packs are really making me wonder if this prescription is worth it. Any alternative advice would greatlyyy be appreciated. I've tried several things and I'm up to try anything that is going to help.
4 years ago i used seasonique for 6 months and then got myself off cuz i never stopped cramping. I t took me a little over a year to even get a period after that and now i have been trying for almost 2 years to have another baby and nothing. i have had test run on me and the doctors say im fine along with my husband so they have no clue why we are having such a hard time. I been doing some research becuase this was the only birth control i have ever used and found some stories that were familiar to mine. So i am just curious as to how much in a 6 month time frame did this birth control damage me. Is there anyone else who has had this problem?
I'm almost done with my 2nd month of the generic Seasonique pill. I love not having a period monthly but I feel like I shouted it from the rooftop too soon. For the past 9-12 days I've been spotting. Its like the last day of my cycle every day now. What gives? I spoke to my pharmacist about it and she said that it's most likely my body adjusting to the hormone levels. I spoke to the nurse at my gyno's office and the Dr. told her that I needed to stop taking my pill for 4 days to let my body flush out what it feels it needs to and restart the pill where I left off. Sooooo whose advice should I follow? Has anyone else gone through this? Will this dreadful spotting ever stop? I hate that I started taking the pill to be safe and I'm now being told to stop for 4 days which basically means my 2 months of pill taking is now null & void.

Help!
I recently was put on seasonique. I am only on the 10th day. But I am having breast pain and tenderness. Also, my nipples hurt. This is accompanied by cramping that just started yesterday. Has anyone else experienced this? Prior to this pill I was on Lo Estrin 24 fe.
I've been on this birth controll for almost a month and I've been bleeding, not even really lightly, the entire time and I've had cramps the last 2 weeks horribly bad. I'm getting the hell off this ASAP and going back to low ostregel, which I have absolutely no side affects with.  I switched because I didn't have a refill on my script left and I needed to be on something.
I have been on the this BC for about 7 months now, I have not experience weight gain, headaches, crazy hormnes or many of the other effects. I have been very pleased with the overall result of the product. Having my period once every 3 months has been fantastic. My only complaint is that ever since I've been on the pill, even at the very start my sex drive has dropped to 0%. When I am off the pill for a week to complete my period cycle, my sex drive goes back into over time. But as soon as I'm back on it, even for a day it's that same thing. It's driving my boyfriend crazy! I'm going to have to switch off. Though I'm not to excited about it.
seriously dude--- maybe its not the pills that has redueced her sex drive for you---hint hint--- thanks for divorcing her so God can send her a man that truly loves and care for her...
I had to stop taking seasonique because it only made my periods worse. I have a natural 21 day cycle (2 weeks no period 1 week period) and the first three months on seasonique I had my period like usual. Then the next 3 months I had bleeding and spotting everyday so I had to get off of it. I take Ocella now which actually successfully changed my cycle to 28 days. I have endometriosis and the  worst thing for it is periods. Since the Ocella was able to curb my period my gyno suggested I skipped the placebo pills and just start my next pack. I did and ended up having a 3 week period. WHAT THE HECK!?!?! Anybody else have this? That if they try to stop their period it just stays longer?
I was taking sesoniquie and then a doctor took me off so I went to anther doctor & he put me back in I've been bleeding for 7 days now & it's only im only in the 2 nd month of the pack how long will this bleeding last?
Well, we're alll really happy that YOU don't have any problems, but not everyone is just like you. It's rude of you to  belittle other poeple's problems just because this pill doesn't cause any for you. Maybe if the pill caused your period to continue for over 30 DAYS or you to gain 20 pounds you might feel differently. I hope you're not a nurse; I doubt you would be able to express any sympathy to your patients when they are in pain.
ive been taking seasonique for over a year,its the 3 month then period one.so i came on period on the 3rd month like normal.it was july 22,2012. i had to stop taking the pills bc of no money to buy them.so i was able to get the pills and started on aug 19.no period.was wondering would i be back on tract for the every three month period.could i be pregnant
I think you have endometriosis, have you dr do the procedure to see
Seasonique is the only BC that work for me use it for 5 yr due to endometriosis. I stop for like two yrs and cramping starting back so am on the generic seasonique and am not liking it.  
there is a generic..amethia
i was on seasonique for 4-5 yers. I got a blood clot in my L calf. DVT..It traveled to my Right lung.PE.. I was hospitalized for a week. 36 years old no health problems ever. Exercised regularly! Very scary
Ok... I can tell you have no idea what your actually talking about I on the other hand actually work in the medical field so I'll educate you. That's great that your side effects weren't bad these women come on here for advice not to battle ignorance so now let me educate you NO FEMALES body is the same! Every body is different. Every body has different hormone levels, estrogen levels, etc. It shows your lack of intelligence when you dare to say that side effects only happen to people who are angry and want to post comments on them. Before you open your mouth regarding anything medical information preferably on the human body and how it works you should probably do your research so an RN doesn't go up against you, call you out for your lack of knowledge about the human body and look like a moron.
Amen! I am an RN and this person is a complete moron! Unless they work in the medical field like I do they have no business assaulting any of the women on here seeking advice from other women about a birth control method. Every woman's body is different and has different levels of hormones - some low some high. What works well for one may not be best for others I always assumed that was common sense but the joke is on me clearly showing that this person lacks intelligence. As someone who actually works in the medical field I do apologize for someone's ignorance and I will tell you that you need to consult your physician about the issue. Ask them to run tests just to make sure everything is ok even if they tell you it is it's better to be safe than sorry.
Jerk. A real man stands by his "woman" no matter what she's going through. And he doesn't make the relationship all about him. What if the lowered sex drive were due to cancer or miscarriage-- would you dump her then? Probably. She's better off without you.
Viewing 401-518 comments: