Women's Health Community
How much should Progesterone level rise after taking Prometrium for abo...
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

How much should Progesterone level rise after taking Prometrium for about a week?

I had a m/c in early Feb.  I have very irregular periods, but didn't know it was an issue/threat to a sustainable pregnancy until talking to my new OB.  My D&C was done on Feb 10.  I had my 1st period after that, between 3/26 and 4/1.  I was planning to start charting my cycle as soon as the 2nd period came.  But it never came - and I unexpectedly conceived on 4/26 or later (I lean toward 4/26 as the conception date - but I suppose I can't be 100% sure, considering my irregular cycles).  I got a + hpt on 5/17 and went to see my OB the next day.  They did some blood tests on me and confirmed that I'm pregnant, but w/ a low progesterone level of 13.8.  The OB immediately put me on Prometrium (200mg 1x/day, vaginally).  Two days later, another blood test shows my progesterone level went up to 17.4.  I continued taking Prometrium (200mg 1x/day, vaginally) for the next week.  But on 5/26, another  blood test showed that my progesterone dropped to 12.  The doctor then told me to double the dosage (200mg 2x/day).  Needless to say, I'm totally freaked out.  The nurse kept telling me to stay positive.  I've been spending hours search online but couldn't find any info on how soon or how much should my progesterone level rise, after taking Prometrium.  Also, I read somewhere that some women's bodies sometimes do not absorb Progesterone well and therefore progesterone suppositories are not effective on them - I'm worried that I may be in that category.  I read, too, that progesterone injections may be more effective, but my OB's office doesn't offer that.
Could anyone who's used Prometrium in their 1st trimester share some info on how soon or how much their progesterone level rose after taking Prometrium?  Thank you!!