I've been having chest discomfort about 2 weeks now.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

On Monday Jun. 1st, I woke up and after moving around a little my chest felt tight and I kept having to take deep breaths just to feel like I was getting enough air. Well, I have had pains in chest before so I kinda just brushed it off. The pain went on all day. So finally, I had my husband take me to ER(which was a fun event!) I got there about 9:15pm didnt get into Triage until 11pm, signed in a 12am and didnt get a room until 1am. Yet apparently the boy with a hurt shoulder got to go ahead of me?! I asked the receptionist how much longer considering I had pain in between my shoulders, down my arm. Also had tingling in face left pinky finger and around my left ankle. Once back there they hooked my up to an EKG and basically treated me like I was having a panic or anixety attack. Never did I feel feaked out except at the very end when they where making me wait so long in the ER while having chest pains! Then the doctor tried to purscribe me 3 nurcotics! I told the pharmacy I refuse to take anxiety medicine when I dont feel like that's what is wrong. I have been taking ibuprofen 600mg now for pain(doesnt really help) Anyways went to health dept.(on the 11th) to ask them there advice, got my ER papers faxed over and that doctor told me she thinks it is a strained muscle in my chest from work(I'm a waitress and we have to carry trays up and down the stairs) and breathing shallow while carrying the trays. Now, to me that doesnt make sense eaither cause wouldnt this have bothered me more when I FIRST started working there not 2 years later?! Well I am still having pains(discomfort in chest and left shoulder) what could be the cause of this. I have not been exerting myself or anything.