Ovarian cysts keep rupturing!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Ovarian cysts keep rupturing!

Hi everyone,

I've been looking around the internet for a while now trying to find some info about what's going on with my ovaries, but I haven't had much luck yet...  I'm hoping you guys might have some answers or at least some success stories.  :)

I had to go to the ER about a month ago because I was blacking out and had severe pain and nausea.  They did a CT scan and found out that I had a lot of fluid in my abdomen and suggested that I make an appointment with a gyn for the next day (the figured it was a ruptured ovarian cyst).  The gyn confirmed that a cyst had ruptured and that I had 3 more (1 on my left and 2 on the right -- all under 2 in.).  I'm not sure what kind they were, but there was definitely some bleeding with that first one...  She perscribed some beefy pain pills and told me to rest for 2 weeks and my body should reabsorb the fluid.  After about a week, I was starting to feel a lot better and most of the swelling had gone down.  Then the next one popped.  :(  

I had 3 more ruptures after the first one (seems like they were popping about once a week).  My gyn suggested that I have surgery to remove the fluid in my abdomen and remove the 2 cysts that she saw during my next exam (both still around 4 cm).  I had the surgery Sept. 13 and started birth control that Sunday to hopefully prevent any other cysts from forming.  I had ANOTHER stupid rupture a couple of days before the surgery, so she only had to drain one.  The surgery went well and she was able to clean out most of the fluid while she was in there.

I went in for my 2 week post-op check-up last Thursday, and was pretty bummed to find out that I already have 2 more...  One on the left (2.4 cm) and one on the right (1.8 cm).  She said that even though I'd been taking the birth control pills for about 2 weeks, it would probably take a month or so for my body to get used to it and start preventing cyst formation.  I've been bleeding the entire time I've been on bc so this actually makes a lot of sense.  Unfortunately, I had another rupture (the right one) 2 days ago, so waiting for the bc to kick in is going to be harder than I thought...  =/

The good news is the last one wasn't nearly as painful as the others.  I don't know if you can ever get *used* to cyst ruptures, but it seems like they've been getting easier as they go.  I know this is a pretty long and bummy post, but I'm hoping that someone might be able to help.  My gyn said she'd recommend taking out my ovaries if I was older and didn't want any more kids, but I'm 25 and hoping to have a family of my own someday...

Have any of you had similar experiences?  Have you found something that worked?  Most of all, have you guys still had successful pregnancies?  I'm really worried all these ruptures are going to kill my chances of conceiving, or worse...  They're going to steal my ovaries.  :*(

Thanks so much for your help!
I had ovarian cysts about once every seven months for quite a while, and also have had a successful pregnancy.  I don't think they will steal your ovaries.  Stay with the birth-control-pill regimen until you want to conceive, it should calm things down soon.  Good luck!