Sharp pain with tampon removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Sharp pain with tampon removal

I'm 23 years old, and I just started wearing tampons (have done so 4-5 times already), after many years of wearing pads (had my frist period when I was nine). (Other relevant information: I've never had sex). I have been using a gentle glide applicator with a super absobency tampon. I have minimal discomfort putting the applicator in, but I have extreme difficulty and a sharp pain taking it out. I was considering switching to regular tampons instead but my flow is super heavy -- after 3.5 hours of wearing an absorbent tampon, I already leak so much that my pad underneath was half full (in day 1-2 of my period, I shed chunks of uterine lining at once). Pulling on the tampon feels like its suctioned in my vagina. Also, in a mirror, I can't see my vaginal opening at all, its like the skin (hymen?) has enveloped the string. I actually dread the process of removal and worried about my first time having sex. I'm not sure if I should get this checked, or if I should give myself more time.
I should also add what I have tried:
- removing tampon in the same way as insertion
- making sure tampon is not dry
- "pushing" out tampon as if about to urinate
You might have the tampon in at a weird angle. Does is hurt to sit, walk, or bend over? These could be signs that the tampon is misaligned.

I have trouble removing my tampons, as well. What you need to do is take a deep breath and relax all your muscles in your legs, pelvic region, butt, stomach, and back. This will allow the tampon to come out easier. Also, get a good grip on the string and pull gently at the same angle which you put the tampon in, not super fast or super slow, to get through the pain. You talk about dreading taking out the tampon, which is probably causing a little anxiety and making your muscles tense in anticipation of the pain. I know it sounds silly, but you just have to close your eyes, count to three, take a breath, and gentle remove the tampon so you can just get it over with. It's llike taking off a band-aid.

I hope this helps a little, and good luck!

~ Em
I have been using tampons since I was 13 I'm now 21. and today I went to go take out my tampon because it was in for the max hours of a regular tampon. my period was super light but when I took out the tampon I felt an extreme pain and then immediately started bleeding heavy I filled a new tampon up within minutes. I have a slight pain in lower abdomen. my period was two weeks late and started out very heavy and painful until I passed two palm sized clots which is unusual for me. after that the pain went away and my period slowed down..... what should I do and what does this mean????