Stopped birth control pill after 5 years...losing hair...link?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I recently stopped taking birth control and for the past few weeks have noticed an increase in my hair falling out. I have naturally thin hair and thinning spots due to genes, but I am getting worried that too much hair is falling out. Does this have to do with my stopping the pill and if so, is this going to be a permanent problem?
Anything will help, Thanks!
HI HAVE YOU TALKED TO YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT THIS PROBLEM?DOES ANY ONE IN YOUR FAMILY HAVE THYROID PROBLEMS?YOU MIGHT NEED TO HAVE YOUR THYROID HORMONES CHECKED.HAVE YOU BEEN LOSING OR GAINING WEIGHT.HAVING SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOUR THYROID WILL CAUSE YOUR HAIR TO FALL OUT.HAVE YOU BEEN TIRED MORE LATELY?YOU NEED TO CALL AND MAKE AN APPOINTMENT WITH YOUR DOCTOR.TAKE CARE OF YOUR SELF TNT406.
Thanks for the comment..I started a job recently that has me pretty tired (up at 5 a.m.) and it might be that my being tiresome is combining with the pill stopping. Thanks!
HI AGAIN BIRTH CONTROL PILLS "DO NOT" CAUSE HAIR LOSS.I STILL RECOMMEND GETTING YOUR THYROID LEVELS CHECKED.HOW OLD ARE YOU?DON'T BE EMBARASSED TO SAY ON HERE IT IS ONLY WOMEN AND WE DO NOT DISCRIMINATE AGAINST AGE.YOU DIDN'T SAY IF YOU HAD BEEN LOSING OR GAINING EIGHT WHEN YOU POSTED BACK IN.ANY MORE INFO YOU NEED I'LL TRY TO HELP TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE.TAKE CARE OF YOUR SELF TNT406.
I'm 22 and haven't been experiencing any weight loss/gain. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning. If any pertinent information comes up, I'll be sure to share it. Thanks again.
I'M GLAD YOU HAVE AN APPOINTMENT FOR TOMORROW.ALL I CAN SAY IS TELL YOUR DOCTOR WHAT IS GOING ON.THIS IS JUST A PATIENT TO PATIENT FORUM WE ARE NOT DOCTORS,WE ONLY GIVE ADVICE.YOU CAN EITHER TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT.TAKE CARE OF YOUR SELF.TNT406
I have to differ with DavidsGirl.  I was on Ortho for 4 years, I'm now 35 and I experienced hairloss. Not only was it loss, it was a change in the complete texture of my hair as well.  I used to have a lot thicker hair, now it's very fine and relatively thin. After about 5 months being off the pill, the hair loss lessened, but regrowth has never come for me.  

Hair growth is hormonal so it only makes sense that some people may experience hair loss as a result of altering their hormonal state.  Pregnant women often experience hair loss either during or after pregnancy.  It does happen, though how to address your situation is always a personal decision.  Personally, I have discontinued use of any birth control, but I'm married and ready to start a family, so that works for me.  There are countless chats on line about people in your shoes.  My advice?  Take everything with a grain of salt and talk with your doctor.  If he/she is unhelpful or unwilling to consider your health options, seek either medical or professional assistance elsewhere.  

Suggestions: Be responsible for knowing what goes into your body and what the risks are.  Meat and milk these days are full of growth hormones... any links?  Could be, but find out what is best for you.  Believe it or not, mineral oil and biproducts can affect your hormones.  Read all you can, ask questions and stay grounded.  You certainly have my sympathy as you are going through this.  I know it can really be distressful. I wish you the best.

Thanks for the comments. I got my lab results back from the doctor's visit and I have elevated liver enzymes. I haven't gotten a chance to speak with my doctor as of yet, but am going in for more blood work. I am still wondering whether or not the hair loss is linked to anything other than the stopping of the pills. It's so frustrating because now I am hearing from some friends in the medical field that liver problems can stem from taking allergy pills for an extended period of time. I take ZyrtecD and have been for a few years. Does anyone know if the liver can be associated with hair loss? I know that we are all just sharing stories, but anyone else with similar experiences?
I am so interested that other people have had this problem too!  I have been to many dematologists and undergone extensive blood work about my rapid hair loss, and no one could figure out what had broght it on.  "Stress" and "Genetics" seeemed to be the easy answer when all of my tests came up normal.  Just recently I decided to go back on birth control after 3 yrs of not taking Orth-Tri. (I stopped after college because I no longer had health insurance)  Suddenly it clicked that when my hair started coming out rapidly coincided with when I stopped taking the pill.  I had been on it for 7 years before that, and figured that was my bodys way of coping with a quick change of it's hormonal make-up.  I asked my gynocologist if she thought the two things could be related and she said absolutely.  In fact, other patients had the same experience.  I will be starting Ortho-Tri again, and am extremely hopeful that this will bring back my hair loss.
Thanks for your story! It's always comforting to know that I am not the only one going through this. I wish I could easily switch my doctor, but I did just graduate college and am stuck on my parent's insurance. He didn't see a link at all so it's nice to hear that your doctor does. Please keep in touch and let me know if you find any marked improvement in your hair growth after being back on the pill for a while.
Thanks again.
I was experiencing sudden hair loss after being on birth control pills for 7 years.  Blood work was all good, and no unusual stress had occurred.  My dermatologist, a female, said that she has found that discontinuing the pill will often slow or stop the hair loss.  The condition is called "telogen effluvium". If there is some "shock to the system", as many as 70% of the scalp hairs are then shed in large numbers about 2 months after the "shock". This sudden increase in hair loss, usually described as the hair coming out in handfuls, is acute telogen effluvium. This is a different problem than gradual genetic hair thinning. She said that even though there was no "shock" to the system, long-term use of the pill has been found to be a culprit.  I stopped the pill immediately, and within 2 months, the shedding ceased and I grew a thick head of hair.  After 5 months, I had to go back on the pill due to irregular and heavy periods, thanks to fibroids.  After 2 months on the pill, my hair is again falling out at a rapid rate.  I am hoping for a hysterectomy to finally be free of awful periods, and freedom from birth control pills.  However, surgery can also be a stressor that leads to telogen effluvium.  Oh well!  I encourage anyone with shedding to read about the condition and see if it could be what is causing it with you.  Good luck to us all!!
I saw your post and I too have had similar symptoms. I recently got off the pill after taking it for about 10yrs. Mostly because my pituitary wasn't functioning properly. I was told to take the pill for the estrogen. A few months ago I decided to get off the pill to see if maybe my pituitary had started to function on it's own, because there was no found reason that the Dr. could find for it not working. No tumor was found on it or anything.
I got off the pill and after a month of being off I had a period on my own. I then went and got a full physical and they tested for estrogen and it came out that I was producing estrogen on my own and it was in the normal range!! I also got results back from my physical that I had elevated liver enzymes and am supposed to come back in August to re-test. Dr. said it wasn't something to worry about, but it still worries me a little.
Also I've lost about 3-5lbs after getting off the pill and my hair has been coming out a lot more..Just thought I'd respond to this post as I've had similar symptoms after coming off the pill.
Not sure of any of this is related to each other.
i was on birth control pill for almost 4 months. I stopped  taking it because I felt it was not suiting me. Soon after i stopped the pill I have started to Loose alot of hair. They have also become very thin. I am so worried i dont know what to do. Please advice.
I'm supposed to start the pill on Friday and it's because my period stopped supposedly from losing a bunch of weight at one time. My doctor says that I'm not extremely underweight so he really doesn't think that's the reason my period stopped but has anyone ever gone on the pill to start their period again? If so, does it work?
I'm also worried about gaining weight on it... a couple pounds is ok but I've read outrageous stuff saying that some people have gained 15-20 lbs... is that just from eating more? Because I have willpower and won't eat more even if it does make me hungry but I just want to know if it's something in the pill or not... if anyone can help, please comment!
i was on the pill for 6 or so years, stopped taking them and my hair has been falling out for about a year now. it has slowed down but there's not alot more than i can lose w/o completely going bald. This has happened to me everytime i have STOPPED taking the pill and after the birth of my 2 sons. I hope it grows back in. It has in the past but I've always went back on the pill. I have high blood pressure now and don't need to be on the pill but i have started taking Yasmin in hopes it will stop the shedding. my hair was once very thick and now is so thin i can see my scalp and can no longer even style it the same way.
I'm curious if the Yasmin is helping?
i've been on birth control for 6 1/2 yrs. now and have just recently noticed increased thinning of my hair at the temples and sides of my scalp within the past 3 months. I have always shed a lot of hair and just thought it was normal, but recently have been shedding a lot more. I'm concerned that because I've been on it for so long the hormones are causing my thinning hair, like when women become pregnant. My mom said her hair started to thin when she was pregnant. I've seen my doctor about it and she said we may need to try something else, but I'm afraid if i go off it will my hair start to rapidly fall out...or will it grow back?? I've read peoples comments and there seems to be both responses. I'm really scared and any advice would really be helpful =) Thanks!
My husband and I are going to start trying to get pregnant in the next few months so I stopped taking the pill a few weeks ago.  I have been on it a number of years.  My hair is thinning at an alarmingly fast rate now and my husband has had to Liquid Plumber the shower drain twice and now it needs it again.  This stinks!  My hair wasn't that thick to begin with!  I've already had blood tests and thryoid tests years ago when I felt I had unnaturally low energy and hair thinning (despite being ON the pill.)  At the rate it's going I'm going to be bald like Britney soon, though!

A silver lining though, is that I have been dieting and have found weight loss comes easier off the pill.  (But no, I haven't lost enough to cause hair loss, and no, I'm not underweight!)

When will it stop falling out?  Anyone?  < = )
Iv'e been on birth control for years without having many problems, but for the past year and a half, I've too been losing hair. I was on Aleese, started losing hair and I seemed to start getting a little extra facial "fuzz" which was just freakin wonderful considering I now have to Nair my face! Then, I switched to Ortho tri Cyclen in hopes that my problems would end. Well they haven't, and I have no idea what to do. Im 23, feel fine, I exercise, and Im in great health. Oh yeah, I also get ovarian cysts that rupture about once a year too. Help Please!
Iv'e been on birth control for years without having many problems, but for the past year and a half, I've too been losing hair. I was on Aleese, started losing hair and I seemed to start getting a little extra facial "fuzz" which was just freakin wonderful considering I now have to Nair my face! Then, I switched to Ortho tri Cyclen in hopes that my problems would end. Well they haven't, and I have no idea what to do. Im 23, feel fine, I exercise, and Im in great health.
I was on birth control for four years, and I recently stopped taking it because it made me sick every month when I took the first pill. My hair has always fallen out more than anyone I know, but now it is actually scaring me. I hate taking showers because of the alarming amount of hair in the bottom of the tub. I was wondering if the two were linked, and it seems to me that they are, based on the number of people who seem to have the same problem here. I just hope it stops soon! I read about Telegen Effluvium, and that's what I think this is, and it is supposed to stop soon, but I'm only in college! I don't want to go bald!!
I am 33yrs old and have been on and off the pill since I was diagnosed with Endometriosis when I was 13yrs old. I had been on it steadily for the past 5 yrs but I recently stopped in July because I wanted to know if I would still develop ovarian cycts. I workout and am careful about what I eat so I know that weight loss is not the reason why I am losing massive amounts of hair starting about 2 weeks after I stopped the pill. I had bloodwork done yesterday and will get the results tomorrow, my MD is looking for Thyroid, Liver and Kidney issues, but I truly believe it was the pill. Problem is I don't like how the pill affects me in certain ways so I don;t want to take it, plus I really want to have another baby next year and given my Endometriosis it is not easy, so I don;t want to go back on the pill, but I don;t want to be bald either and the back is so thin now, and it was never thick. I have always had baby-fine hair, but there was alot of it and it is naturally got wave and body, now it is so stressful. I don't know what to do, and my MD doesn't believe that the pill affects hairloss.
I have been on the Pill for almost 10 years and recently got married.  I have hypothyroidism and have been losing hair for over 4 years.  I know that all HORMONES ARE INTERELATED, and after 3 years of trying to optimize thyroid medication (which is not the majority), I continue to lose scalp hair abnormally.  I do not have much left, my temple hair is very short as well.  I am very scared to stop the Pill in fear of shedding worse.  I have to correct this problem, I am only 25 and you can see through my thin thin hair to my scalp in several places.  It looks terrible.  

I know that the Doctors (I've seen 8 Endocrinologist, 4 GPs, and 5 Dermatologists) agree that I will be unable to test for a hormone imbalance while taking the oral contraceptive.  I am also concerned about complications related to long-term use of this product.  I do want to get off of BC Pills.  Do you think that I should stop taking the Pill?  Thanks!!!

B
I have just finished reading everyone's comments, and i must say wow!!
I didn't know there were so many women dealing with the same problem. I also have to say that I am one of these women as well. I have gone to physicians, done the bloodwork, checked for hormone imbalances changed my diet, gone on the pill, gone off the pill, increased my supplements, decreased stress levels, and nothing! My hair has always  been fine and thin to begin with, but now i am faced with Chronic Telogen Effluvium--a general thinning of the overall hair of the scalp because too many hairs are in the resting phase and the ones that fall out will not grow. This has been happening to me over a gradual, steady period, of over 5 years now. The most frustrating part of all this? No one can help me. And no one knows whats is wrong, and what's worse? Some physicians think it is in my head. I have cried and been frustrated so many times, it's almost no use. I am 26 years old, and I don't mind going bald---just not at this age!!!! I mean hello!!! I want my youthful looks if only for  a while, and no one has any answers. I am not giving up though. If i find out anything new, I will let everyone know. In the meantime, i will pray for yous, please pray for me, I have a wedding next year and i want to look half-decent.
I experience hairloss EVERY time my doctor changes my birth control. Whether going off it, or starting anew. Right now, I'm collecting every hair that falls, (and it truly falls almost constantly now) in envelopes, to monitor the rate. The last three weeks, it's been 500 or a day, this week, its much more more,  I can't deal with counting past 500. It's extremely depressing and frustrating, and I empathize with you all. This is the third bout of extreme hairloss in three years. It's definitely hormone related. Here's what my doctor and I have found out.

Some women are naturally far more sensitive to hormone changes than others. Lucky me! That sad fact: I'm 39, before this birth control mess, a single strand of my hair, though baby fine and thin, as past hairdressers have always commented, was three to four times as strong and thick in diameter than it is now. The first TE (telogen effluvium) episode lasted 4 months, after going off Nuvaring which was causing high blood pressure. 7 months later, hair grew back but not like before. At that time, my doctor STARTED me on OrthoTri (new relationship). GOING ON birth control shocked the hormones, and my TE episode lasted a devasting 6 months. At that time, with painful irregular periods, my doctor discovered fibroid cysts. I also had high levels of estrogen, which she said was causing or linked to the tumors. I needed a different birth control, one with lower estrogen, so she switched me to Yasmin, which I've been taking since this June. I also suspect elevated estrogen from my diet, which is low budget, cannot afford organic hormone free foods. Oh, on top of THAT, the only other medication I take, Prilosec can have a side effect of hairloss.

Sure enough, we both predicted, it caused a new TE episode, and my hair had not even begun to recover from the previous bout. This time has been worse than ever, with loss beginning in late July and increasing drastically now. Perhaps adding to the risk, I'm starting Rogaine, in the hopes it will grow back sooner/thicker. It's an experiment. If like in the past, I can expect this extreme hairloss to continue at this rate to the end of October, and still continue but taper back to normal by December, and have to wait till the end of 2008 for more hair if I'm lucky enough. That is my story.
Wow!  This stopping the pill and hairloss just cant be coiencedence.  I have always had naturally thin hair.  I started the pill about 6 months ago and all of a sudden my hair started growing in thicker.  But so did my BUTT!  In six months I gained 11lbs despite the fact that I am very active and walk 3 miles every evening.  In an effort to lose the weight, I quit taking the pill.  In two weeks I lost 5lbs AND my hair started falling out.  I also take zyrtec d for allergies.  If I want hair, I need to take the pill, but if I want to lose the weight, I have to stay off it.  It's a LOSE/LOSE situation for me.  This just CANT be a coiecedence
i recently came off the pill after 10 years, i'm 30 years old now and have very thick long hair. i've never had an unusual amount ever fall out, but in the past 2 months since coming off the pill i have strands coming out in the shower, brushing my hair, grabbing my hair...i mean alot comes out. i thought something was really really wrong...i didnt know what because i feel great! but after readin this blog it appears that perhaps its coming off the pill and my body is just re-adjusting itself.
I have also been experiencing all of the same symptoms as all of you have.  And like many of you, my doctor hasn't offered me any satisfactory information to help with my hair loss.  However, after researching this hormonal condition I found a few herbal remidies that might help.

1. Evening Primrose Oil; which is good for hormonal inbalances, skin, and overall health.

2. Hair, Sking & Nails Milti; which is good for all of the listed areas.

3. Hair oil which contains essential vitamins and natural oils-- jojoba oil, sage, rosemary and mullen.  

4. Massaging the scalp: to circulate the blood in the scalp.

I hope this helps!! I'm going through it and I understand how stressful this can be.

God Bless!!
Thanks for all the info. I'm 38 and had long, very thick hair until I started losing it last year. Weight gain has always been a problem for me since being on Micronor and Estrostep FE for three years. I've been off the pill for eight years now, but I wonder if it didn't alter my hormone levels permanently. I think my estrogen levels are high. Irregular or non-existent periods, stress, more facial hair, skin tags, possible ovarian cysts are a real concern, too. But nothing has been more frightening than what looks like permanent hair loss. In my case, baldness, hypothyroidism, and auto-immune disease are all a part of my family history.

To make matters worse, we don't have health insurance (my husband's boss dropped it eight years ago). For a short time we did have coverage, and I went to a GYN to get some answers about no periods and infertility. He told me to go home and lose weight. (Thanks alot, doc. I know weight is a real issue, but I wish he would've addressed other things that he wouldn't consider.) After that, we didn't have coverage and very low income at the time. Another round of doctor's visits and lab tests was impossible.

Is there any investigation or research into the pill and it's affects on the thyroid and hormones? (I wonder how much research a pharm. company would do on it's own products.) In my case, there would be too many other factors to prove that my problems are related to the pill, but I feel strongly that they may. Unfortunately, it's hard for a doctor to do anything about it or trace a problem back to a single cause. My fear is that I'll spend a small fortune of our hard-earned money to be diagnosed with something that is only treated with more bc pills.

A few months after the doctor visit, we had no insurance. With unpredictable income and no coverage, it becomes more than an issue of my health. If I have something serious that requires alot of testing and treatment, I will cause my family to be devastated financially, also. And what if I finally go to the doctor after all these years? If he diagnoses me with cancer or something else, it's a pre-existing condition for which insurance will never cover. It's hard to believe there's anyone who can help me. And if there is, I won't be able to pay for it.

It's difficult enough not being able to have another child. Now it's too late and I'm going bald. Is there any hope for me?
I've also been off the pill(allesse) for 3 months.  My hair is rapidly falling out as well. Again, thin to begin with.  It's frustrating that no one on this site has reported their hair growing back.  But also, no one has reported going bald either. My skin was the first frustration.  I went on acnezine, a natural supplement. Skin feels amazing, hair is VERY thin.
If anyone finds a solution, I see many would benefit. There is no way i would go back on the pill. it's poison.
In case it hasn't been mentioned, Saw Palmetto (a supplement) is also supposed to help block DHT which attacks the hair follicle and can increase hair loss.
Another hair loser!  I stop my pills about 6 months ago after DH had a vasectomy and have been loosing massive amounts of hair for the past 4.  I've had all the blood tests and everything is normal.  My doctor took me off 2 other meds trying to find the cause and now I had an appointment with a dermatologist in December.  As I was standing in the shower looking down at the large amount of hair I lost this morning, it clicked.  Could this be because I stopped my pills?  After doing a search, I found this site, called my doctor, and he has called my BCP script in for me to pick up later today.  I am hoping and praying that my hair will grow back.  I have always had thick, long hair and it is so thin now.  I'll keep you posted!
I started the pill just before i turned 19, and recently got off it about 5 weeks ago.  In total, i was on Yasmin, Brenda35 and Monofeme for about 20 months.
In the past two weeks, i have started to notice unusual loss of hair.
Like many others here, i had thick hair and a lot of it.  I am trying not to stress out over this or be down-hearted, but i am barely 21, and am losing too much hair.  In a day i would estimate a loss of roughly 100+hairs.  I notice it is thinner at the temple and back crown section of my head.  And like many others here, I do not pull, or comb excessively etc, and it just is there ready to fall out.
I am currently taking Silicea in liquid form of Silicon, however this is my 5th week in taking this, and have only noticed an improvement in my nails.
My thyroid levels are perfect and i am of a good weight and health.
I find it hard to believe doctor's and scientists will not accept the fact that the Pill Does Cause Hair Loss when you stop taking it.
I will hopefully never go back on it again unless it is the only way for me to stop my hair loss.  If what they say is right and it won't grow back, i do not have $$$$s to spend on Ashley Martin etc.
There has to be some resolution to this!!!!!  
Also, does any one experience a sore scalp or itchiness as a symptom?

I am glad to hear that i am not the only one going thru this!  Lets hope and pray!!
Hi everyone,
I found this forum when I was experiencing the same problem coming off the Pill 4 months ago (I was on Yasmin for 10 years). My hair felt thinner and started falling out in what felt like in clumps. I was panicked. Every time I ran my fingers through it, I could pull out more strands. In the past two months, after giving it some time, the problem has completely subsided and my hair is no longer falling out. I think it might have been related to the fluctuating hormones from stopping using the pill as the body realigns itself. I was reassured by my doctor that it would stop falling out and she was right. I also should mention that I lead a very healthy lifestyle and diet (no processed foods, no sugar, and little if any meat or dairy), and perhaps that supported everything returning to normal. Anyway, it has been on my mind to find this forum again to share my experience. This problem seems to happen to a lot of women in our situation, but for most, I believe that it is just temporary and everything will return to normal if you give it time, and be positive. I wish you luck!
~LD
I'm a  hair styilst and i'm constantly finding more info on hair loss. I would say , Yes that the birth control can change you're hair. Because BC has hormones that were constantly going through you're body ur hair was getting immune to it. You're hair is now in a state of shock it's lacking what it's used to so in response, it's shedding. You're hair should start filling better in a few weeks once it get used to not having that hormore. Anything can change hair...even a poor diet. And remember you're hair,skin, and nails are all built from the same protien, so if you skin is acting up you're hair most likely will too. Keep that in mind:)
I'm 30 years old and have been on the pill since i was 18. I used mycroynon and yasmin. About 5 months ago i decided to come off the pill as i've been on in for 12 years. i just stopped taking it altogether.....i didn't think to try and come off it gradually. i noticed a lot of hair coming out in the shower and when blow drying my hair. It wasn't coming out in clumps but it feels much thinner and there is noticable loss around my hairline. I also think my eyelashes and eyebrows seem a bit sparse(but maybe i'm getting paranoid!) I then started to realise there may be a link to coming off the pill.....now i'm convinced that's the reason! The rate of hairs coming out seems to have slowed down and i'm hoping that my hair will grow back to normal. i'm taking vitamins specifically for hair, nails and skin called 'perfectil'.....i guess only time will tell.This is such a worrying thing to deal with ....i wish everyone the best of luck!
Im 30years of age and yes, I can relate to all of your worries and comments. I've been on the pill for about 11 years and stopped taking them about 4mnts ago. Not only did my hair fall out like crazy but I felt **** in general. Panic attacks, sad, irritable and so on.

It took me a while to figure out why all of this was happening to me and as most of you I went to my GP and he took blood tests that later came out normal.

I realised at the end of my first mnt after stopping the pill that this was the reason 'Hormones'!! I started to take them again and it stopped almost straight away.

Now after starting taken them again I have other issues (like ovary pain, breat tenderness and so on) Went to my doc again and he said to come off the pill straight away since this is all caused by hormones. I got two more weeks to go before finishing my last pills and Im really nervous about the whole hair loss and hormon mess that I know is waiting, but I have sort of worked out a plan how to 'as quick as possible' get my self back to normal and my body in balance again.

I have done some research and even tried a few things that seems to help the hair growth and mood swings.

1. Hoursetail (can buy in any health food shop) boosts the growth and this I swear on.

2. fruit and veg and other healthy foods (incl. soy)

3. Exersise

4. Sleep

5. Dont worry to much - it will stop once your body has balanced itself.

6. Iron and vitamin suppliments (vit B I heard will boost hair loss)

7. Just wait until its over...cut your hair or keep it in a scarf

8. Never go on the pill again...just cant be good for you!

Lets all be there for each other and we will be fine!

xx
I have been experiencing hair loss for two months now. I got off the pill in November and noticed hair loss in December but January and February have been really scary for me. I do have thyroid problems but I recently had blood work and everything was fine. My doctor told me that sometimes women do lose lots of hair when they suddenly get off the pill. I decided  to get back on the pill on my own a wk ago because I am really feeling depressed about the hair loss. I have not noticed a change yet but I am hoping it's because it is to soon. I have also started taking hair, nails and skin vitamins as well as prenatal pills. I am hoping something helps! I had very thick hair and not it is just thin and ugly....I normally get my hair highlighted and of course I can't do that either because I am scared to add to the problem.  I to experience the tingling and itching and was wondering if anyone else experience the same. I have my 2nd appt with a dermatologist on Tuesday for a 2nd opinion because the 1st one pretty much blew me off. I am going to request a biopsy of the scalp to make sure I dont have some other scalp disease that is causing this hair loss.... I hope to have  some positive news to post later....Good luck everyone!
me too! ive been on pill 4 over 10 yrs now, come off it 2 - 3 months ago hair thin already but thin all round temple and crown and also itchy scalp...feel very upset :( my skin is bad too with oilyness and spots. anybody finding scalp problems too? do u think if i went back on pill my hair will come back?
I stoped taking the pill about 2 months ago. My hair has been clogging the drains ever since. My hair is just so brittle and falls constantly. I want to cry! Im hoping my hair will come back soon!  I heard rosemary oil, primrose oil, coconut oil, and also castor oil, may help regrowth. At this point Im willing to try anything. good luck to all of you!!
I stopped Diane 35/Estelle after 10 years of being on it. And I started to get severe hairloss 2 weeks after. I lost 500 strands of hair every day and it has dwindled down to about 200 strands a day after 6 months. It hasn't stopped.

There may be regrowth, but it cannot catch up with the loss.

Diane35 is a scary pill. I cannot believe my Dr let me take it for 10 years.

I am posting as much as I can now so that other women can be warned of the side effects. It is not a pill that we can take forever, yet when we stop, the effects are horrifying.
I stopped Diane 35 after 10 years of being on it. And I started to get severe hairloss 2 weeks after. I lost 500 strands of hair every day and it has dwindled down to about 200 strands a day after 6 months. It hasn't stopped.

My scalp is totally inflamed with scalp pimples and it is so oily, it smells after 12 hours of washing and I wash every day.

hi all!  i just wanted to post because apparently many women out there share this same problem.  i too was on birth control for a long time (10 years) and my hair started to fall out while on the pill about 2.5 years ago.  i went to the doctor who sent me to 2 different dermatologists and an endocrinologist.  after 35 tubes worth of blood tests (with EVERY test in the book including double stranded DNA tests, cancer markers, iron, thyroid, EVERYTHING!) and 2 scalp biopsies later i ONLY had slightly low ferritin (60) and elevated liver enzymes... ladies please keep in mind the pill can alter the liver panel.  the absolute only medicine i was on was Yasmine, which by the way, they give FOR hairloss... i am thin, i exercise, not too much stress, and i have absolutely NO person in my family with baldness... and i too, like you, had the drs tell me it was stress, it was hereditary, it was all in my head... BULL!!   so i switched doctors and went to another endo and another derm, who did 2 more scalp biopsies... again NOTHING except slightly low ferritin and low vitamin D...  and they tested for EVERYTHING!  so... they decide to take me off the birth control... of course my hair fell out WAY WAY WAY worse... in huge clumps... i thought i was gonna be bald!  but... here i am another year later and i am not.  yes my hair is very thin now... i try to style it to hide the parts of the scalp you can see... most people can't tell, but i can...  i wouldn't say i've exactly made peace with this, but i try not to think about it as much as i did at first... i used to be depressed... cry... pray... beg... and yet the hair still fell...  after a while i realized i was letting too much time slip away... so i just try not to think about it anymore and for the most part i don't...  

but anyway ... i want to say since stopping the pill my periods have normalized somewhat... they come every 25-30 days... at first my skin broke out for about 11 months... my scalp had pimples and was very oily also... then cleared to pristine again with no medication.  they tried to tell me i had too much testosterone and did another blood test only to find out it was on the low end of normal... and then my skin cleared... so whatever to that theory.  i do take a multivitamin and occasional lysine.  also i want to note that my eyelashes and eyebrows were falling out as well... and before any doctor tries to ask, yes, they ruled out all inflammatory alopecia conditions.  i am absolutely convinced everything was linked to the pill...  so here i am today and, in my opinion, my shedding has not yet gone back to how it used to be, however it did lessen from the handfulls of HUNDREDS of hairs a day to about 50 strands a day (including when i wash)... which most doctors will tell you is in the "normal" range.  i can see many little hairs coming in, but even if you don't yet see them coming in don't give up hope because i didn't start seeing this till over a year after it first started to fall out.  AND... about 6 months after going off the pill the blood work was repeated and every single test was normal INCLUDING the liver enzymes... so... that's my story and hopefully it gives you all some insight.  i would never, NEVER go back on the pill... to me it's the devil LOL.  

oh and just for the record, i'm a healthy 34 year old and i have one child.... no underlying health conditions.  take care all!  
I noticed you post is from MARCH 08. Just wondering if your hairloss stopped now that you are back on BCP?
I just googled the hair loss problem because it is something that I am also dealing with.  I am 31 years old and my Husband and I decided to go off the pill in May and in the last few weeks I have noticed that I am losing hair rapidly.  I have a lot of hair but it is baby fine.  So far I have not noticed a change in the thickness but I am worried that I may if this continues.

I have also been on a weightloss program for 18 months and have lost a total of 110 lbs.  I eat very healthy and get the right amount of each food group so I do not think this issue has anything to do with that.

I will be visiting my doctor on the 31st so hopefully she can shead some light on my problem before I completely shead.
I'm 31. I had been on the pill for 4 years. I stopped taking it about 3 months ago because I started taking diet pills. I figured being off the pill would help me lose weight more easily. Sure enough I've lost about 35 lbs, but I noticed about a month after I stopped the pill my hair was thinning. I thought it was from dyeing it too much, so I stopped. Since I stopped dyeing it I've noticed no difference. Another downfall of stopping the pill is facial hair. I've always had an issue with it and when I started the pill it made a huge difference. Since I stopped I noticed my facial hair was thicker and now more noticable. So now I started the pill again about 3 weeks ago. For the last week I've noticed a big improvement with my facial hair but the hair on my head is still thinning. After reading all your posts I'm more confused than ever. I thought restarting the pill would help by my facial hair and hair loss, but now idk.
I've had the same problems! I initially started taking microgynon about 9 years ago; i noticed my hair was getting thinner but nothing to alarming however having taken it for 3 years i really started to notice a difference. My friend at the time was taking the same bcp and noticed her hair was thinning too, so i stopped taking the pill; the hair didn't shred as much but still look quite fine. I then decided to change to the POP - micronor having taken for a year i noticed my hair was back to normal, grew quite fast and thick again. I stopped taking micronor in 2007 and since my hair has got really thin on the top. I went to the docs and got a thyroid test, ferritin and blood count and all came back fine so he put it down to stress. I had been getting stressed out recently but the hair loss seemed to be a gradual thing over the past 2 years. I'm going back on micronor to see if my hair gets thicker again; if this is the case then i can only presume that i have a progesterone deficiency / oestrogen dominence which i've read is becoming more popular. If this is the case i'm hoping to try and balance my hormones naturally with herbs like agnus castus and come off the pop. Wish me luck :-)
Hi. Im 28 and I've been on the patch for some years now. Don't get me wrong, this type of birth control is good, but I also experienced some hair loss. I stopped taking the patch for about 4 months and I noticed that my hair was constantly falling out. I couldn't quite figure out what was going on. I went to my doctors and even went to a dermatologist and my blood was good and all that. My dermatologist said that I had this thing called Traction Alopecia. But from the description of that diagnoses, I said that this cannot be whats wrong. So I thought back and I said that it has to be the Ortho Evra. So I thought maybe if I stop using it, it would leave out of my system. But would my hair stop falling out and go back to normal. So I hope we all who are having this problem find the solution to it.

Do you take vitamins?  Vitamins help with hair growth. Try taking a multi vitamin  and at your next checkup get your thyriod checked.  Hair loss for the unpregnant could due to thyriod problems. Also,have you have any children recently?  Are you breastfeeding?  Cause these things could also cause some hair loss as well.
hi there, Oh my god!!!! I can't believe we are all dealing with the same BS....Im 31 and I stopped the pill 2 years ago, aftr a couple of months I started to experience hair loss and I'm still experiencing!! Less hair is shedding for sure, but the texture and the quality of my hair is awful, I hate it! I hate washing my hair because if too much hair falls out, it would totally wreck my day...2 years!!! and I'm a nutritionist! I'm very health conscious....I've tried seaweeds, organic wholefood supplements, iron (my ferritin was low), etc...and I haven't seen a difference...After two years, it clicked that it could be related to the BCP and I don't know what to do, I don't want to take it again because I know by a fact that they are the devil and they are linked to cancer and other diseases....but I don't want to go bald! I still have hope that there might be something out there....the body is the smartest thing ever! we just need to reverse the damage! This blog is very old...someone has experienced any good news??? (I really hope so!)
I'm convinced that my hair (as well as yours) will grow back!

Please say someones hair has started growing back ??? I too am dealing with this problem. I had to go out and buy extensions the other day as my hair has been falling out at a rapid rate. I was on the pill for 6 years and I thought my hair loss was due to being on the pill, so I stopped about a month ago..since then my hair has REALLY been falling out. Are we just supposed to wait this all out?
If i had of known this 6 years ago, i never would have started. I have seen my doctor about it 6 months ago and he referred me to a dietician..I didnt go as I know what the problem was.
help.
hi! i stopped Yasmin 3 months ago after taking it for 4 years and my hair has been falling out heaps, i have naturally thin hair and now it looks like i am going bald! I have decided to get back on Yasmin as my husband and i have decided to put off having kids for another year. Has anyone here started the pill this soon after stopping it? and if so, how has did it affect your hair loss?
I recently stopped the pill after being on it for that last 4 years.  I had never heard of this hair loss BC link before. Now that I hear that so many people are going throught it I think that this is what might be happening to me.  I stopped taking it this past september and it is already mid-november and I am still haveing clumps of hair falling out. At first I thought it was breakage but then realized not.  It ws almost as if the hairs are falling out right from the scalp.  When I look at may hair I can see I have absolutely no split ends and my hair always shines.  I'm still not sure if there is a link to the BC pills of if it is just coincidence and is being cause by an underlying problem.  I went to the doc when I noticed that his was happening to me.  He did blood work which checked for my throid levels and also iron to make sure I wasn't anemic.  Both test came out normal and he said he coudln't see anything physically wrong with me that would cause my hair to fall. I don't know what else to do. I used Nexxus ermergencee treatment to repair any damage that might be there but I didn't see any results from that either.  I normally use redken shampoo and conditioner and that has always been fine for my hair but now I'm not sure what to use/do anymore. I would say I', loosing about 200+ hairs per washing.  And that's not counting what is coming of when I comb/brush my hair and what normally comes off during the dais on the clothes and pillow. Can anyone help me??? What should my next step be???
I just wondered if there are any success stories from anyone who posted on here previously?  Has anyone's hair started to grow back? I am 25 and was on the Dianette for 9 years before coming off of it about 2 months ago.  I have since experienced weeks of rapid hair loss which is becoming very distressing. I have been to the Doctor's today to discuss this along with my ongoing tiredness, and am now booked in for a blood test next week.  It wasn't until I came home and my boyfriend mentioned that it seems to have started since I came off the pill that I thought there could be a connection.  I have always had very thick hair, and those closest to me have said that they can notice a difference.  I am tempted to go straight back on to the pill - has anyone noticed an improvement by doing so?  I can't afford to lose much more!
Hi, I have not been on here before but have found it interesting reading everyones comments. I was on the pill cilest for about six years and then yasmin for a few months before i stopped the pill altogether. When i swapped to yasmin my hair started to fall out. I started to worry so i stopped taking the pill completely. Ever since my hair has not been the same. My hair has always been fairly thick and full, but it seemed to thin very quickly, within a couple of months. Even my mum started to notice. That was over a year ago. I would say ive lost over a third of my hair. It stopped falling out but its never recovered. Hair texture is a lot finer too.Had blood tests but all were fine.
I guess i just have to be grateful that it stopped falling out.
I'm 24 and I've been on BCP since I was like 17. I never had long thick hair as I used to dye them a lot, my genetics had influenced it as well.Still I started dying my hair using non-amonia creams and stopped changing my hair colour,started using expensive oils and I didn't notice but one day I saw it grew longer then ever, they were shiny and it was quite a big amount of it. I have been making a pause between taking the pills  but it was never that long, only about a month or two. 5 months ago I quit pills and 2 months later I started shedding. My hair became oily and I have some more facial issues than I ever did, but face can be cured and the spots can be hidden, but I shed dramatically! I lose hair while washing, rinsing my hair and combing (though I let it dry naturally) I find over 15 hair on my pillow when I wake up! Sorry to say, but how can doctors be so stupid to tell us it has nothing to do with it? Aren't our stories enough to see there IS A LINK between quitting pills and a hair loss? I've tried a lot of hair masks, lotions, I tried natural masks,olive oil, black tea, nothing helped. I have no other solution than to take the pills again as there are ways to reduce the damage BCP bring by eating healthy foods, excercising, but it looks like there is no way to stop shedding. I don't know if this also helps, but I swallowed the first pill yesterday and hoping to see the results in about a month or two because I am NOT going to lose my hair anymore as there is not much left to lose at all! You can judge me as much as you wan, but beauty means a lot to me and I am not even thinking about getting pregnant anytime soon, and if one day I want a baby, I would see a doctor and ask him how to quit BCP without shocking the organism. I guess BCP must also be quit gradually and there must be away to avoid hair loss... I wish you all good luck and I will share my story after a few months to let you know if returning to BCP helped!
Hi there.. after reading all of these distressing stories of hair loss after stopping the pill, I am desperate to read whether there are any happy endings?? Has anyones hair actually returned to normal after such an experience? I (and I'm sure many others) would love to hear from you.
I am currently contemplating coming off Diane 35 after 14 years! Please tell me there's hope!
I have the same story as everybody above.  I was on the pill beginning at age 18 until 30 when we tried for a child.  I had my daughter and after a few months, my hair starting coming out at an alarming rate.  My Dr. said it was normal.  Got back on the pill until we tried for number 2 and the hair loss seemed to improve.  However, once my first child was born, I had instances of itchy scalp.  I went to the Derm and got prescription shampoos, lotions, etc.  It would subside the itching for a few weeks until it returned again.  
Had my son and again hair loss.  Assumed it was "normal" again.  Then the itchy scalp returned.  More prescriptions by the dermatologist.  Last October I got off the pill for good because my husband had a vasectomy.  Slowly after that, I noticed hair falling out.  And since that time it has been shedding way more than normal.  Washing my hair is the worst, like others have shared.  Hair in the sink, bathroom floor, and even my scrunchies in the morning.  Now it is to the point where my hair is so fine I don't need to put my hair up.  I can't grow it out!  I do have fine hairs coming in everywhere so I guess I am not going bald?  But they are fine, somewhat curly, and I find I cannot even style my hair the way I used to.  It doesn't hold a curl or dry the way it used to.  

I ask the same--has anybody had any change since their posts last year???
I, too, noticed "more than usual" hair thinning while on the pill.  I was on it for 3 years and stopped a month ago due to experiencing other side effects (dry-eye, red spots on legs, etc).  I was on generic Loestrin, microgestin Fe.  I read the packet of possible side effects and it does say "scalp hair loss" so it confuses me that some doctors are saying hair loss and the pill are not related.  Since stopping, my hair is falling out at a more rapid pace and I hope that it stops soon as I have thin, fine hair already and can't spare to lose anymore.  I think it's related to another hormonal change caused by no longer taking the pill and my medical history over the years has suggested my body reacts in all kinds of ways to the most subtle of hormonal changes---yay me!  So, check your informational packet with your pills and if it says "possible scalp hair loss" be sure to take it with you to any physical check-up.
I want to say first of all, that EVERYONE is different.  My hair began shedding drastically 6 years ago because of stress and weight loss...I was so desparate I got on Diane 35.  Now if this caused my hair to stop shedding or if it stopped on it's own, I don't really know, but it did stop shedding.  Six years later, I don't really have much regrowth to speak of, some, but not much.  Now I have been off the pill for 2 months; my husband and I want to start having children.  I have had more than normal shedding for the past couple of weeks.  Maybe it will start shedding more....I don't know.  I do know, however, I am not under the stress I was 6 years ago.  STRESS MAKES IT WORSE, I assure you.  I guess I just want to say, I believe stressing about our hair loss makes it worse.  We are all looking for answers as to how long it will shed, when will it stop...we are all different, and the same answers do not apple to each of us.  God be with all of you!  He loves you with an everlasting love.  
I had been on the pill for 21 yrs..... came off in march of this year and had bad spots for the first 5 months, still some now but the worrying thing is the hair loss. I do have a lot of hair but am well aware that if it keeps coming out at the rate it is then it will notice to others very soon. Like others i dread washing it and i no people say not to stress but hard not too. It has been coming out for the last to months now and although no bald patches as yet.....i notice how thin it is beginning to feel. I have been to the doctors and was told that it cant be the pill as it only stays in your system for 3 months but with any change/illness your hair and nails are delayed. I also had blood tests but all came back clear. No one has said that this will get better with time. I will be looking to have children in the near future so dont wont to go back on the pill.

There doesn't seem to be anything to take to make this stop...... just hoping that in time it will sort it's self out as still believe it must be the pill.
:(

Hi Nisha,

Did your hair stop falling out when you went back on the birth control?
Hi There,

Has anyone gone back on the pill when this started happening? Did they see any improvement???
I was on the pill for about 8 or 9 years and then stopped 2.5 years ago to try a copper IUD (which was a big mistake for someone who has never had children as it was extremely painful). I removed the IUD after a few months and noticed a lot of shedding. At the time I thought it was stress related and didn't associate it with getting off the pill months before. I tried Nuvaring and the shedding was worse for several months.
Then my dermatologist recommended that I get a low hormone pill like Yaz to promote hair re-growth. He told me to stay on it for at least a year consistently before I get off since I was so concerned about the side effects of hormones. After a few months of being back on the pill...the shedding was completely gone but my hair was thinner than before.
So I stayed on Yaz for a year and a half and just stopped a few weeks ago. The shedding is back again!! I guess at this point my only options are to go back on Yaz and deal with shedding when I'm ready to have children or deal with another several months or year of shedding until it stops?!
I'm not sure what to do but I think I may try to exercise more for now and continue eating healthy and organic and see what happens over the next few weeks before I decide to get back on.
For the people that have gotten off the pill completely… how long did it take for the shedding to stop?
Hi everyone,

It sounds like we are all going through the same thing.  I was on Birth Control for years, and switched a bunch of times, went off it a few times (for up to a year) and never had any problems. Until now.  I went off BC (Levora) in July and in August started noticing that more of my hair was falling out than was normal for me.  I dont think I'm losing 100's but it's enough that I notice it and am starting to worry that it is thinning in the front.  I have a doctors appointment in a few days and will update after that, but after reading this blog I'm not convinced the doctor will be able to help much.  I have also made an appointment to see an alternative medicine guy who uses Chinese herbs and acupuncture- he seemed confident that he would be able to help (Fingers crossed!).  I also bough some shampoo with Biotin from Wholefoods to help spark new growth.  I'm optomistic that I will find a way to stop the shedding without using hormones and birth control.

I just want to say to everyone who was looking for someone to come back to this site with positive results that the fact that there aren't positive stories on here is not a bad sign.  The reason we are all searching this site is because we are having problems and need advice.  It's unlikely that people who get their hair to grow back and are less worked up about this are going to go back searching and find sites they read before to update.  So, to be honest, the fact that there are more stories of people coming back saying UGH, i lost all this hair initially and that they keep losing it months and years later means something.  Trust me if I'm still losing hair in 6 months I'll be back here still freaking out.  I'll try to remember to come back and update if the acupuncture works, but I'm optomistic that our systems will rebalance out and all of this will just be a really annoying few months that we had to go through.  Positive thinking and Good luck!
Wow! I'm in absolute disbelief. I thought that I was one of very few going through this. I am a natural blonde with fine hair. I began taking Orthotricyclen at the age of 14 as a treatment for acne. I am now 24. I recently changed my hair color to brunette with a gentle non-ammonia treatment. It was then that I noticed my hair is falling out in great amounts. When it was lighter, it was not as noticable. Sooo... my husband and I decided that I would stop taking the pill. I did about two weeks ago. The hair just keeps coming out! I am debating whether to go to a general practice or a dermatologist. I don't want to take the pill anymore, but it seems as though that is what they will tell me to do! I'll post anything new on here, if I learn anything at the doc.
i am 26 years old and have been on various birth control pills since i was 15. my hair has always been very thick and wavy, but not now. i stopped taking birth control about a month ago because my blood pressure was up and the doctors kept switching me from this birth control to that birth control to try and fix the problem, and my body was just so out of wack that i wanted to allow it to calm down.

since stopping the pills, my hair has been coming out a lot, ive definitely noticed that its thinning, as did my mother. when i pull it back it feels extremely thin, much thinner than ever. i havent thought to make a doctors appointment yet, and after reading this forum it doesnt seem like they will be much help. i guess im just gonna try and wait it all out... im hoping and praying this is absolutely temporary and my hair will return to its normal thick and wavy state!

all you ladies are in my thoughts... good luck to us all!
Hi Everyone,

Im so glad ive found this site! Im a 20 year old female and have been losing my hair at an alarming rate ever since i decided to stop microgynon 30.
I had been taking microgynon30 for four years and the only break i ever had from it was the few days a month to have my period, but id never had an extended break from the pill. In May of this year i decided i would quit birth control all together for a little while, i wasnt in a relationship at the time and just thought it would be a good idea to give myself a break. Within about 4-6 weeks of stopping the pill my hair began to shed. At first i didnt think the two could be linked, i just put it down to stress, or the fact that it was summer and some people get a little seasonal shedding. But by the time i reached September my hair was falling out at an alarming rate, and still is! I hate washing or brushing my hair as it just makes me cry. It just looks terrible, i do not straighten or colour my hair, and ever since it started to fall out ive stopped blow drying too. Id say ive lost about a quarter of my hairs natural volume, it looks very thin! So anyway it was in september that i started looking back over my calendar and realised my hair loss started not long after i quit my pill, i went to see my doctor to tell him this and he behaved like i was crazy. He said starting the pill could cause hair loss, but definitely not stopping it. Yet here we all are on this forum. He agreed to send me for blood work, but it all came back clear. With my hair loss becoming so dramatic and my doctor being useless, i paid to see a trichologist who said i had chronic telogen effluvium, but was also refusing to believe it could be as result of stopping the pill. She told me there is no treatment for TE and that id have to wait for my shedding 'episode' to finish, usually within 6 months apparently. So feeling none the wiser i came home depressed. I began searching in my house for the leaflet that used to come with my birth control pills to see if that had any information, and to my surprise found a full box of Microgynon30 that i had obviously stashed away at some point for emergencies, since i was always rubbish at getting to the doctors for repeat prescriptions. That was a week ago and today ive decided that im going to put myself back on to microgynon and see what happens to my hair. Im not holding out much hope that it will stop the awful hairloss, but since there is a chance im willing to give it a go! I PROMISE to come back in a few weeks and let you all know if anything has happened.

Also whilst doing lots of research i came across a pill called florisene, i dont know if you can get in the US but i have just ordered some off the internet, i have read lots and lots of positive things about it and think i might as well try it.

Good luck to you all!
Well, I have to say it's somewhat of a relief to know that I am not the only one! I stopped taking the pill after 15 years!!! I am now almost 33 years old and I made a decision to stop injecting my body with hormones, hence why I stopped.
Last year, my doctor changed my pill from Yaz to Ortho tricyclen cause I was reading all the terrible side effects of Yaz. I noticed hair loss then, so I started taking Phytophanere Dietary Supplement for hair and nails, and the Phytocyane Revitalizing Serum - Thinning Hair for Women. One is a daily pill supplement and one is a serum you put in your roots after you shower, it's a 12 week process. And it worked. I had my hair back after 3 months!!! I have naturally thick long hair and it was all back!

About 2 months ago, I stopped taking the pill all together, and my hair fell out at a very fast rate!!! I have about 1/3 of the hair I had last year and have been so depressed about it.  I just bought the Phyto products last week and going to try them out.
I will check back in 3 months and give you a status. But I strongly suggest you guys try this out.  It's $100 for both products combined and you can get them at Sephora!

GOOD LUCK!
Sami
Hi everyone,

My story started about four years ago. My dad died, I went off the pill, I was diagnosed with a thyroid problem and I am borderline anemic.  Since then I have went to several Dr's for hair loss. Some told me my hair was fine. That was frustrating.  I have since got my thyroid under control and my iron levels are now fine. I thought maybe that was the problem. No such luck.  My newest doctor has run about 18 different blood tests and all levels are fine. He has recommended a scalp biopsy. I am thinking about that. Now I started using rogain about 4 weeks ago. Hopeful since summer is coming and won't want to go swimming!  Recently I have been thinking the stress from my dad dying and going off the pill could definitely be it. So the question is should I go back on the pill?   It's a last resort but I am ready to think about other things besides my hair or lack of!  Ugh.
Hi, i hav too experienced the tingling in my scalp. i have been on the pill since i was 13 and stopped it at 30, a few months ago and i can seriously fill the toilet bowl with my hair everyday. I am so scared of looking in the mirror incase i find my self bald.
Let me know if you find a cure.
I've had the same thing as everyone else! I'm 20 years old, and a few months ago just went off the pill after 2 and a half years. I dye my hair a lot, so when I started to shed excessively after a month or so, I figured it must be from that. I'm glad I'm wrong (I love dying my hair!) but this hair loss is stressful. I am going to the doctors to get bloodwork done soon. I hope it grows back!!!
Hi everyone,

I was on Diane 35 for about 7 years..I stopped two years ago to prepare my body to get pregnant because I have heard that it takes a while to get pregnant after stopping the pill. I have always had thin hair but still got compliments on it. My hair is dropping so much. It looks so thin. I feel so bad about myself. Also, I even got a moustache. I have never had any facial hair to speak about or do anything about except a little on my eyebrows. Now I have a moustache and my skin has completely changed. I have open pores and acne on my neck and chest and back.

I wish there was something to help besides going back on the pill, although I must say I am tempted to go back on.  
Hi all,
I was reading this forum a few months ago, desperate to find a cure for my sudden hair loss (back in June/July), and I had read these people promising to come back and give some feed back, so I thought that I would post some feedback.

I had been on the Estelle 35 (same as Diane) for approx 4 years and came off in early March. I was a massive advocate for the pill (especially when it came to my skin, it was much better!). However, I started to develop anxiety and had no sex-drive. I am 24 years old and have been with my partner for nearly 5 years and find him very attractive, however my libido was zilch and my developing anxiety was just unbearable.
I had thought about coming off the pill for a while. I went to see the doctor (March) and he suggested coming off the pill to see how I went. Straight away I felt MUCH better, was back to my happy and bubbly self. My periods were fine and on time every month, just a little heavier.
I moved house in June and had school reports to write (I am a school teacher) so I put this stress down to my more than usual hair loss. However, the holidays came, and my hair loss was getting much worse. My hair was very, very oily too (I wash my hair everyday, and it was still extremely oily).
Now, I feel very sorry for women with any hair loss, but if your hair is as naturally (painfully) as thin as mine, it is devastating! It was now June/July and I could loss about 200 hairs from just getting my partner to give me a head massage, it just kept coming out :( Every time a brushed it, ran my fingers through it, etc I would just keep losing more and more.

I saw everyone! Naturapaths, Doctors, Acupuncturists, etc. Finally another doctor recommended me to a dermatologist and he told me straight away that this hair loss was caused by the sudden stop of the pill. I had chronic telogen effluvium. This was supposed to last about 6 months. I was sooo mad at my doctor and the pill company, neither one had said that the pill (stopping or starting) could cause hair loss. As depressing as it sounds, there is nothing that you can do to stop this hair loss because the hair cells are in a 'resting state' which means they are all ready dead and will fall out eventually.

Now it has been about 7 months after stopping the pill, and my hair loss is slowly, but surely stopping (I am now probably losing 20 or so hairs when I brush it). I know this sounds like a long time but it will go quickly! As hard as it sounds, try not to dwell on it! I was sooo depressed about this and researched and researched everything and anything that I could do for a nearly 2 months straight.

The dermatologist did prescribe me rogaine, however I have opted not to take any more chemicals or drugs that could have (another!) devastating side effects! I have been taking herbal supplements (such as silica, zinc, vitamin and mineral tablets, fusion women's balance or fusion hair tonic tablets) and using natural shampoo, basically anything that I could get my hands on that I thought might help! And I have a fair bit of regrowth and fly-aways, plus my nails are growing like crazy! I never had long nails and would always bite them (perhaps due to anxiety, now I don't have the urge at all).

Anyway, it has been about 7 months since stopping the pill, but I assure you it WILL get better! I feel so much better mentally, and feel generally much happier. My hair loss is stopping and the oiliness lasted only a few weeks or so. My skin has broken out  (perhaps due to a poor diet) but I have faith that this will get better too!

My final point, I had always been a HUGE advocate for the birth control pill, but after the sheer hell that myself and many, many, MANY other women have been through, I would never EVER recommend going on it, or back on it. I personally feel that there should be some sort of repercussions for the companies of these birth control pills, and even the doctors who give us women absolutely no warning when prescribing the pill or recommend to suddenly go off it. From the bottom of my heart, good luck to you all and just have faith, there is light at the end of the tunnel, I promise!          
Thank you so much for your post. I went off of the pill in March and at the beginning of May, I noiced increase of hairloss. I had been on the pill for about 6-7 years (since high school). I decided to go off of the pill because my husband left for Afghanistan and I wanted to make sure that my body was ready for baby-making when he returns home next March.
I have thin hair but always had a lot of it. My hair barely fell out when I washed, blow-dried, or brushed it. So, of course I started freaking out when my hair started falling out. I have also noticed the increase in greasiness as well! I have read that the hormonal hairloss can last normally up to 6 months after it begins so I pray that it stops soon. I would hate to see my husband again after not seeing him for a year and be bald! What a surprise that would be. And yes, I went to the doc and dermatologist and got blood work done. Everything is normal so I know it must be the stupid pill. I too and very angrey that no doctor told me about side effects about going OFF the pill before I actually begin the pill. I will NEVER go on the pill again so I never have to go through this hairloss. I am 26 years old and have only been married for a year and don't want to lose all my hair at such a young age.
It makes me feel better to know that other people can relate to me. I don't personally know anyone experiencing this and I hope my hair goes back to normal soon.
Hi I know this is an old post I am asking about but I just wondered if your decision to go back on the ortho tri helped you to grow back the hair you lost after coming off of them.  I am in a similar situation and any insight you can give from your experience would be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks!
Hi Sam, Just wondering if you or anyone else who had gone off the pill and lost your hair decided to get back on the pill and saw that it grew back in.  I am in a similar situation, considering going back on the pill as the hair that I lost 2 1/2 years of being off pill has not regrown and I fear is gradually getting thinner.  Have you or anyone else been able to get your hair back after going back ON the pill?  Many thanks for your replies!!  

Hi, I'm in the same position,  I'm 36 been on the pill for about 18 years ony breaking to have my two children.  I've just stopped taking the pill and am losing my hair at a terrifying rate.  I'm convinced it's the cause.  I'm so worried this is just going to continue until I have very little left.  I've always had really thick hair and am really struggling with the difference I'm already noticing after only coming off of Microgynon 3 weeks ago.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can any of you who posted on here a while ago let me know what happened - did the hair loss stop? did your hair grow back and go back to normal?  How long did the hair loss last for?  Did it come back with or without going back on the pill?  I'd really appreciate any answers any of you can give - even if it's not what I want to hear - and information would be wonderful!  Thank you xxxxx
I have been on Ocella for almost 4 years and just got off the pill one month ago. I had an abnormal pap smear and mild cervical dysplasia that I read could be linked to prolonged use of the pill. Both of my doctors told me it was okay to stay on the pill, but I have read about instances of cervical cancer and do not want to take any risks by being on the pill.

I used the pill primarily to control my acne and help with cramps.

Since stopping the pill, for the last few weeks I've had faster than average shedding. I've been taking longer breaks between washing but just shed more when I do wash :\ Also have had acne, but am trying to control it with antibiotics. It is really distressing and I hope my body's hormones can rebalance soon. The pap smear, follow ups, biopsy, cramps, acne, and shedding are all just weighing down on  me and I am praying I can go back to normal :(
Hello, was reading an old post of yours on medhelp and wondered if you had success in growing your hair back after getting back on the pill.  thanks
hello did you get your hair back after going back on bcp?  thanks
Hi there, thought I would send you a reply since no one else seems to answer their posts.  Unfortunately, I wish I had better news for you.  I am still shedding around 200 per day since getting off the pill 3 years ago.  I am slowly slowly getting thinner I think.  I have growth but because of the continued shedding, it seems that it will never thicken up.  I did not go back on the pill yet, however, I have a current prescription for it (the same one I was on before this nightmare began!)  I am terrified to go back on it as I can't seem to get any concrete answers that it would help the situation by going back on.  One of three things would happen by going back on.  1. it would help. 2.  it would not change anything.  3.  it would trigger more shedding.  It is for the third reason I have not tried to go back on.  Currently I am waiting for a sign from God as to what to do.  All the ladies who went back on the pill after they lost hair coming off, have not come back to post their results.  What do you suppose that means??  I am currently taking a multi vitamin, iron supplement (ferritin level is 32 - heard that could be the reason for increased shedding and poor growth, so you may want to have your ferritin level checked.  Supposed to be above 40 to stop shedding and sustained at above 70 for healthy growth) and yesterday I just started Viviscal. Anyway, good luck to you in finding your answers too.  
I noticed a few months ago that I had developed a bald spot in the front of my head. I went to the doctor who then tested my thyroid levals to discover they were low. I am now waiting to see a specialist. I also stopped taking birth control a bit befour I noticed the hair loss, I was on it for 7 years. My hair has gotten really thin and I know have two bald spots on the top of my head. I went back to the doctor again today and she prescribed rogain for me. I have no idea what to do!
I am 29 and stopped taking the pill 4 months ago. after a couple of months I noticed a receding hairline and thought I must be imagining it. I steadily noticed an overall thinning so much so that I can now see through to my scalp. My hair is very greasy, with a red itchy scalp. I also have dreadful acne and increased facial hair along with horrible greasy skin (which was previously quite dry). I have noticed fluffy hair regrowth along the receeding hairline but it is minimal. I have always had fine, thin hair so this is very noticable to me as I don't have a lot to lose to be bald. I am taking antibiotics for the acne but the results have been minimal. I believe this is all related to coming off the pill. I started the pill 8 years ago to deal with cramps and acne and stopped as I was becoming increasingly anxious, sad and had a reduced libido. I am trying not to let my vanity take over but if i thought going back on the pill would restart my hair growth I would do it today. I am just worried that another shock to the hormones by going back on will cause another bout of TE and leave me with no hair at all! The depression cause by the hair loss and dreadful skin is as bad as any symptoms caused by being on the pill

i have a doctors appointment next week to make sure it is not anything thyroid or iron related.

There are always so many stories but very few people ever follow up to say what happened when they go back on the pill... I wish everyone going through this all the best of luck and health in the future
I can appreciate your post.  Your situation is nearly identical to mine except I have been dealing with this for THREE years now!  I torment myself every month on whether or not to restart the pill.  I like you am very concerned that restarting would shock my system into having another dread shed however I cannot afford to lose much more hair since my regrowth from the first shed was minimal.  Can I ask you how much you are shedding now daily?  When my shedding was at its worst a couple months after getting off the pill I bet it was around 300-500 a day for a few weeks.  Then it tapered down and ever since its been around 150-200 per day.  That still seems so high to me and no matter what supplement or shampoo I use I cannot seem to get my shedding below that!  Very frustrating.  Shedding over two years now at that rate, I would have thought I would be bald by now, but I am not.  But my hair remains thin despite continuous regrowth.  I shed all over long ones, short ones, thick ones, thin ones.  But my thinness is most noticible on top at the bangs and my temples are ridiculously bare.  Good luck to you and please update if you decide to go back on the pill.  I will share my experience and update as well.  Currently I am on viviscal for a couple of weeks so far with no noticible change but its supposed to take a few months.  Thanks.
Hi my name is Veronica and I'm 31 years old.

I started losing my hair dramatically after to switching birth control from Yaz to Yasmin.  I didn't realize that birth control was the reason I was losing my hair!  Thank you guys for posting comments here.  It has been helpful to me during my research but I'm sadden that there are so many people out there with this same awful experience!  

I decided to stop using birth control 6 months ago.  I wanted my body to function on it's own and increase my estrogen hormone levels naturally.  It was tough watching my hair fall out in the shower (which I am still experiencing) but at least my bald spot on my temples wasn't getting worse.  

Since then my hair is finally filling in on my bald spots.  I still have a ways to go but I do see improvement on my hair texture.  Take vitamins during this process!!  I will check in and let you know my progress!
Icegal, I was on Estelle for 2 years for my skin. I was 30 and still breaking out. When I stopped, I had hair falling out in clumps in the shower, shedding on my pillow, on clothes. I REGRET ever having gone on Estelle - I was so tempted to sue my dermatologist for never making me aware of the hair loss side-effect. If you read the PDF on Estelle online, it does mention hair fall as a side effect some might experience.

I am now 33 and my hair is not half of what I donned before. If only all of us here were aware of this correlation between hair loss and coming off the pill. If only we could rewind time! I somehow expected the thickness to restore slightly as time passed, but it hasn't. I now warn my friends and others against taking the pill. I can't swallow the fact that some Dermatologists / Doctors aren't aware of this and are so careless with prescribing BC pills. My skin has gone back to breaking out again and I went to the best Dermatologist here in Melbourne, Australia and he recommended I go on the pill without flinching. When i mentioned my episode, he said, some BC pills like Yasmin don't cause hair loss. This was a statement he made after I mentioned my experience!! Even the best ones these days can be so careless - it's a pity.
Hi there, Here is my experience of stopping and restarting taking the pill. I am 36 and had  been on it for 7 years when I first stopped the pill and my hair started falling out. I went through this cycle twice in the last 4 years. Each time, I restarted the pill it may have grown back a little, but the main thing it did was keep it from falling out. It never got back to what it had been before.

Last December (11 months ago) I stopped again (once and for all!!) with the intention of just riding out the hair loss. I figured my body would have to get back to normal at some point!  It was pretty bad at about the 3 month period when it started coming out. I was worrying constantly and obsessing over it, and then it sort of stopped. I also started taking a 2mg Biotin supplement each day and began seeing those short new growth hairs around my hairline - THRILLING!!  THis bliss lasted for about 4 months. I still have those shorties, but in the last 3 weeks I am back to a shower drain filled with hair, my hands filled with hair, my brush filled with hair, and my sink drain filled with hair. Something happened and I don't know what it is. I was actually feeling pretty good about my hair 3 weeks ago, thinking i was going to keep growing it, b/c it actually seemed thick enough to do so. And just like that, I am at my thinnest ever, ready to lop it off again because it is so scraggly.
So, I am almost at a year since stopping the pill and am still battling this. Its frustrating, but i am glad I stopped the pill once and for all and will never go back. It wont grow your hair back, it will only delay the inevitable.
Best of luck all. I am glad to know there are many of us in this together.
Try the Biotin supplement. I got mine at whole foods. new hairs seemed to appear in about 3 weeks...
HI, I had been opn the pill for almost 20 yrs - a grandma by comparrison to most of you. I have been off for about 5 months and just now have noticed that my hair is thinning in the front - I never used to be able to see my scalp. No baldness in my family and I am hypothyroid on meds (have been for some time). Hoping to repart my hair and wait out the shedding. I have a small head and don't really relish the thought of baldness - it won't be pretty. Much rather have a great head of beautiful silver/gray hair like my mom did.
Thanks for sharing your experience of what happened when you went back on.  Most people have not reported their experience after going back on, which leaves us to wonder if it helped, made it worse, or just did not change things at all.  So when you went back on, what was your shedding like compared to when you are off?  I cannot remember how much hair I shed all the years I was on the pill.  My husband says I have always shed my hair because he had to unclog our drain several times over the years, but honestly, I don't ever remember seeing hair everywhere like I do now.  I have been shedding steadily at 150 - 200 per day every day the entire 3 years I have been off after losing 300 or more for a few weeks after first getting off *dread shed*  It still seems like alot of hair to me to be losing daily now!  I've heard the norm is around 50 - 100 daily.  Which I am guessing what I was losing when I was on the pill for years.  Also, is your thinning all over or mostly on top.  Mine is mostly on top.  Thanks for your reply.
Yes! My hair has been falling ever since I stopped taking the pill. I took it for 5 years. My blood work results are perfect. After I was pregnant,  the hair loss went away. But after I gave birth it came back. Yes, stopping taking those contraceptive pills can  cause women to lose their hair. I am one of them.
Hello everyone.

I have had very similar experiences to all of you. In high school I had very long curly hair. I started taking birth control in college and switched several times between different brands, some made me feel crazy and others made my skin break out (alesse, orthotricyclene, loestrin).

So I decided after I graduated to get the depo shot. I was a poor college grad and it was a cheaper, longer lasting option than getting pills every month. First injection went without a hitch, but shortly before the second one I noticed that my hair was falling out more. It came out by the handful and gathered in a pile at the bottom of the bathtub. I had  long hair at the time and it was looking scraggly and thin. It was only after the second injection that I noticed that my hair loss increased. It was so bad that my only option was to get it cut into a pixie cut. BUT! and a big but here, my hair did grow back. Having a shorter cut also eliminated the handfulls of hair in the shower and drain. It took a few months, but once it started growing in, it was much thicker. I was not expecting it to be like when I was in high school, because hair thinning happens to us all as we age (granted not in the huge handfulls that we are currently experiencing).

So, being ingnorant to all the time, effort and bad hair days that I had experienced, I went back on birth control when I went to grad school. I took Yasmin for 2 years, Yaz for a month before switching to Ocella for about 2 years (stopped taking it because of being irritable and my skin breaking out). Then I had to wait until I got my period (which took 3 months) before I started taking Beyaz (for 7 months). My hair really started falling out when I switched to Beyaz (and it could have started from stopping and then starting up pills too), which gradually got worse. I also had such tender breasts and sore underarm lymph nodes that I could not lay on my chest and moving my arm at certian angles was painful. (I do breast cancer research, so I know it was not anything more than hormones and thank goodness it has resolved).

I stopped taking everything. I am 29, healthy, thin, exercise and eat organic foods and a vegan diet (with supplementation, so vitamins are not a factor). Since stopping birth control my hair has been falling out like crazy. Handfulls in the shower, when drying my hair, when styling it, on my pillow and it has been very oily. It is an embarrassing thing. To see my white scalp and have hair all over the back of my lab coat at work is disheartening. But it does get better and it does grow back. These things just take time. I work with cancer patients daily who have lost all of their hair and it does grow back. Maybe not how it once was, but it grows back.

Keep your head up and as so many other people have said, try not to dwell on it.
It is interesting how even a change from name brand to the generic version will initiate hair fall as well as other symptoms.  Some people seem to be more sensitive to hormone changes than others, I am one of them, which makes it frustrating because unless my hormones stay in a delicate balance, which birth control seemed to do for me, I lose hair.  It does grow back obviously, otherwise I would be completely bald because of the amounts that I lose daily for 3 years now, but, it is much thinner overall than it was all the years I was on the pill, and I did shed alot, during those years too at times, but not like now.  I am hopeful still that it won't get worse and that it keeps growing back.  I have tried various supplements, vitamins, shampoos etc.  which only seem to exasperate the shed, oilyness, dandruff, etc. If anyone else has found anything to help, please share.
I recently experienced this problem, and searched the internet for help. I just wanted to come back on and reassure people that the hair loss does stop!! I came off microgynon after being on it for 5 years. After a month I noticed my hair was falling out a lot. I have always had thick hair and it did shed more than the average person, but nothing like what happened after coming off the pill. It came out in handfuls, especially in the shower and after brushing. I became terrified of having a shower, bought products that were supposed to stop hairless, and poured over every piece of info I could find. Whilst I realised while it was happening, it did not make it any more scary, and for a time my hair did feel much thinner. For someone who is used to having thick hair this was terrifying, but then I guess I was lucky I had a lot of hair anyway! After about 4 months I realised the hairloss slowing down and now it is completely back to normal. What a relief!! Now the only issue I have is the return of spots, which disappeared for five lovely years. Now this is getting me down, but I will just have to go back to the products I used before I was on the pill, as my skin wasn't great before.  However I have lost weight, although I wasn't big anyway, but often felt bloated, and this has definitely reduced. So I just wanted to reassure people that your hair will stop falling out eventually. Just be patient, try not to over brush or over wash your hair when its at its worst. Good luck!
I am glad i found this.  I had friends tell me that hair loss could occur when going off bc but they didn't seem sure so I went searching on the internet and couldn't find much.  This site has reassured me that going off Nuva ring may be the reason my hair is suddenly shedding a lot.  I went off in September because my husband I and I are ttc and in November, I started noticing so much hair in the shower drain that I freaked and started taking less showers and just wearing my hair up so I would touch it less.  It's now February and I noticed the shedding has definitely slowed and hoping it will grow back.  I am waiting to see my doctor at the end of this month because I also have spotting before I get my period and I never did before . . . have read on forums this can also be a sign of hormone imbalance.  I wish everyone the best.
Hello. I found your comment very reassuring. Thanks for that. As well as the comment bellow yours(9more) i stopped the pill last year in sept and around 2 months after noticed my hair falling alarmingly quiclky...so i panicked, thinking i was going bald.. didnt know it could be because i stopped the pill until i found this site. My GP never mentioned anything to me about this possibility... I do have subclinical Hypothiroidism too, but my hair really started falling after i went off the Pill.

Thanks everyone here for their comments,,, Its been very useful to me and to many others im sure..

Analoo
Let us know how you got on with your doctor.... thanks .
I have experienced hair loss twice in my life and both from the pill.  The first time, I was 25, and had been on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo for years.  I decided to come off, because I just didn't want to be on any medicine anymore.  I wanted a more natural lifestyle.  A month or so after coming off, my hair started falling out like crazy.  I was starting to be able to see my scalp.  My hair is not thick anyways, but very fine.  I had alot of hair, but the texture was very fine.  The shedding was so alarming that after a few months, I immediately got back on the pill out of fear.  Once back on, the shedding stopped, and the regrowth began.  Well, that's all great and wonderful, but I was still on the pill (which I didn't want to be).  Over the next year I switched my pill to regular Ortho Tri Cyclen (not the Lo version), and developed melasma (skin condition where you get dark patches on your face), and I researched and found it was from my pill.  Gotta love all these side effects!  Anyways, this was July 2011, and I decided, I was coming off the pill once and for all.  I bought a $400 skin lightening treatment, which has faded the melasma, and I was praying that hair loss would not come this time.  Well, it did, about September I noticed it starting, then in Oct/Nov/Dec it was like super shedding.  Coming out in handfuls, mainly in the shower.  I kept telling myself, this is only temporary, I am a healthy 28 year old woman that has no family history of hair loss, and this is just my body readjusting itself.  Although there were some days when I would just break down and cry.  As we all know, this can be very traumatizing...especially to women.  Anyways, in mid-January, I found the hair loss slowing down, and new little hairs along my hairline.  By February, the hair loss I think has regulated itself back to normal.  The little new hairs are growing in, but are still a very fine texture, and I'm not sure that all of the hairs lost are being replaced by new growth.  My part is still not as dense with hair as it once was, but I remain hopeful that by July or August (that will mark one year since I quit the pill) my hair will be close to what it was.  I'm not a doctor, but from what I have read, this is called telogen effluvium.  Basically a shock of some sort to your system, or starting or stopping, even switching forms of birth control.  Ah, the joys of being a woman :)  However, I think alot of the loss is only noticeable to me and not to everyone else.  I just keep on praying that my hair will restore itself back to its original state, and that my regrowth will continue.  FYI I take a multivitamin each day too, just to make sure that my iron, zinc, B12, and Biotin levels are where they should be :)  I hope this will help someone!
To all the ladies experiencing hair loss...hormones drive our bodies. The hormones are driven by the birth control pills. Please note however that hormone levels do not DIRECTLY make your hair fall out. That is attributed to stress (to make it shed) and regrowth is possible but directly related to blood circulation and feeding the capillaries at the scalp so that your hair grows. Plain and simple. So, at the root of the problem is a circulation and blood deficiency of some sort, perhaps directly related to the liver (maybe or maybe not). Now for treatment idea, that has worked for me. As a referral from my acupuncturist, I started taking Fo-Ti in capsule form (Solaray). The first two weeks my eyesight improved and everything seemed clearer. After 3 months my hair started to grow. After the first year my hair was growing (only on the scalp BTW) about a half an inch every six weeks. I have never had a head of hair like this in my life. After two years the Fo-Ti cured my Von Willebrand's disease. My good cholesterol is over 100. The maximum capsules I took each day for 2.5 years was 3. About 9 months ago I switched to a liquid tincture Fo-Ti made by a local health food store. I am still working out my dosage. But all in all liquid or capsule, this herb saved my life and my sanity, it is so stressful to lose your hair....I wish I could tell the world about my findings so if you would pass the word and definitely Google Fo-Ti (domestic name for it) and the Chinese name is Ho Shu Wu. Good luck to all of us!! :)
Hi everyone. I read this thread over a month ago when my hair loss got the best of me. A lot of people asked someone to come back and post if the hair loss eventually stopped. Well, for me it did finally stop. Thank God.

I stopped Zovia and Sprintec BCP in Nov 2011 and about a month later the hair loss began. It was so upsetting. It didn't occur to me that it was due to hormones until last month when I was researching the terrible mood swings and depression I was having.

Last month I cut off about 10 inches of hair to help with the massive amounts of hair I was finding all over the place. Then I discovered this thread. I went out and bought Fo-Ti like the above poster and I noticed a difference a week later. I can now brush my hair and run my fingers through it without a ton falling out. It's definitely worth a shot. Either my hormones have finally balanced (my mood swings have MUCH improved) or the Fo-Ti is working. Either way, I feel a lot better.

Thanks for sharing and I hope things have improved for everyone who posted.
HERE is my story... I was on yasmin for 8 years and I stopped taking it almost 7 months ago. Right after I stopped the pills, my hair started to fall. I was losing about 300-400 hairs a day and I was absolutely terrified, especially because I had all the blood tests I could have had and there was nothing wrong with me. I cried every time I brushed or washed my hair and I was clueless on what I had to do to stop it. My hair became very thin, oily and seemed worse on the front of the scalp and on the temples.
My doctor said that it had nothing to do with pill and it was caused by stress, but there was no stress for me other than the fact that I might be going bald. I know now that what she said was rubbish and most doctors really do not see this as a real problem since it is not life threatening.
I took tons of vitamins, I used all the products on the market that promised to help but my hair was still falling and it seemed there was no way to stop it.
The only hair product that helped, but not as much as I expected, was minoxidil and the problem with it was that little hairs were growing back on the temples, only to fall back again by the time they got to a 3 cm (about 1 inch I think) length.
Only now, after 7 months, it started to get a little better, I`m still losing more than 100 hairs on washing but only 20 to 30 on daily brushing.
I`m still taking vitamins and I`m still using minoxidil and the hair that grows back does not seem to fall as fast as it did. I`m on a vegetarian diet, I`m eating all the food that is known to be good for the hair, like fat free yogurt that contains live ferments, carrots, salmon, kidney beans, apricots, honey melon and other foods high in potassium (not quite indicated for those with kidney disease), I`m adding less salt in my food and drinking more than 2 litters of water a day.
This is what I do now when it got a little better for me, I`m not saying that this might be the reason why I`m now losing less hair or it just might be due to the fact that time has passed and maybe the organism got rid of some of the toxins that I`ve been popping in for 8 years.
Sorry for my bad english, but I hope this helps you or even gives you a little hope that this will go away with time.
I feel like there is no hope for me.  I stopped taking BC (Ortho-Tri-nessa) of May 2012 and it is now July 2012 and my hair is falling out in clumps, especially when I wash it.  I do not know what to do.  According to the doctor I'm as healthy as an Ox.  I used to have medium to thick hair, healthy (no splits ends) down to my bottom with high volume and in just two months I had to cut my hair shoulder length and limit the amount of times I wash my hair down to once a week.  I knooooooow its kinda nasty but I'm afraid of losing ALL of my hair.  I counted my hair loss in one day and it amount to approximately 368 strands.  The following day I lost 532 strands (that was after I washed it).  I'm okay with losing 100 strands a day but 500 is not okay...it is scary.  Its ashame that there are so many women on this site/blog and the pharmaceutical companies have not made any comment concerning this issue.  I'm sure of this, if we would have known that certain birth control would cause women hair fall out, not too many of us would have opted to take them.  Birth Control pills make these pharmaceutical companies billions of dollars.  They do not care about people like the women on this site/blog (some of which do not even have medical insurance) who are worried about their hair loss.  By the way, my mom and grandmama's have a head full of hair.  Ohh yeah, I forgot to mention that I tried Rogaine for women but the side effects (extreme facial swelling) cause me to stop using it.  I recently visited a Vitamin shop and purchase several supplements to attempt and stop or minimize the amount of hair from falling out.  I will hope and pray it stops.  My husband has told me not to fret but we have to admit that it can become a psychological and emotional problem that can range from stress to anxiety to depression to strain on the immune system.  Soo please, it is not fair for someone to say that it is a cosmetic issue.  By the way, we should all inform the physicians that prescribe the birth controls (BC) of the side effects post BC.  Let our voice be heard.  I will keep you posted on the outcome of the supplements I will take to help my hair grow back and prevent hundreds of hair strands to fall out.  Another thing, wish me the best.  My husband and I are going to try to have a baby.  Be well.
My dermatologist has told me that it's not unusual to start losing hair around 3 months after going off the birth control pill. (It's similar to losing hair 3 months after giving birth). The hormone change is a shock to the body and the hair roots prepare for the hair to fall out, which happens arounds 3 months later. (This can also occur 3 months after a stressful event). For me the hair loss then went on for almost 3 months, now it seems to level out and grow back. It's been depressing but it's worth it because I had SO many side effects from the pill: migraine, hot weather sensitivity, depression, painful breasts, frost nip on my toes in winter, red veins in my eyes, cellulite. All of those are gone now.
I have a slightly different story.  I am not sure if BC is what's causing my hair loss or not.  I have been on the pill for about 12 years stopping for a little over a year in between when trying to get pregnant and having my son.  I went back on the pill in beginning of 2009.

At the end of 2011 I noticed my hairline receding somewhat around the temple area.  It bothered me but I got over it and it seems to have stopped where it's at and not gotten worse.  Well then in May of this year I started shedding horribly.  At first I thought I just noticed more hair b/c I am growing it out for a wedding I am in in August.  Normally my hair is pretty short.  It is now almost to my shoulders.  But as time went on I know it's not from it being longer and more noticeable.  I actually started counting hairs and am losing around 150 to 200 just by washing it and styling it in the mornings.

I had my thyroid tested in May and it came back normal.  I had a pap in June and mentioned the shedding to my ob/gyn.  She said it was the BC and told me to take a vitamin E supplement every day and give it a month to see if there was any change.  I thought it did seem to slow down a bit but just the other week picked back up.  I called my ob/gyn and she had me get blood work done to check my hormones (estrogen and FSH).  I am supposed to call this afternoon to see what the results of that are.  I have a feeling they will come back normal though.

I know most of this post is about women who started the hair loss after going off the pill so I'm wondering if there's anyone out there like me who is experiencing the hair loss while still on the pill.  I haven't had any major stressful events lately either other than normal stress.  I am in school, I work part time and I also do part time work from home on the days I don't work out of the home plus I have a 4 year old who definitely likes to push buttons and aggravates me to no end!

I am really scared about my hair.  I know I could have much worse health issues than this, and am thankful I am healthy but just thinking of my hair falling out like this makes me want to cry.  It's like I've become obsessed with running fingers through my hair to see if any hairs come out (which usually they do) and researching online.  Most of the online stuff scares me with the AGA female pattern baldness stuff.  I don't have hair loss in my family on either side.  Well my dad's dad was bald but that's it.  My dad and uncles and grandparents on my mom's side all still have their hair.

Ugh....this is so annoying!
I sincerely thank you! I am having the same constellation of symptoms correlated with stopping the birth control pill (after approx.12 yrs). I do have poor circulation and will certainly check other related issues as you mentioned. And, definitely, will spread the word!
I am having this problem! I took Yasmin for 8 years, I stopped 3 months ago and I'm shedding like crazy, it started a few days ago and the change is notorious I'm so scared. Because of a health issue (not related to the shedding) I can't start the pill again.

I'm getting married in 4 months and I'm so worried about this, I've always had beautiful strong full hair that characterizes me since I was young and I'm afraid I won't look like myself on the big day. I know it may sound superficial but it's important to me, especially since it adds up on top of other health issues I've had to deal with this year and it's starting to take a toll on my efforts to be positive.

Can anyone tell me how long it took for the hair to be normal again? I'm seeing a doctor and I'm starting on a cocktail of supplements that are gonna help me, meanwhile, I'm afraid to even brush my hair. Thank you everyone on this forum by the way, even though I wish none of us had this problem it makes me feel like I'm not alone.

I'm gonna be telling this to any girl I come across who tells me she wants to go on the pill, this issue is the mildest on a long list of health complications the pill can bring that doctors don't tell you about when they prescribe it, my doctor told me when I was 18 I could go ahead and take the pill for years until I wanted to get pregnant, I was young and he never made it sound like it could be such a big deal. Above all I think I'm mostly angry.
hello maggie85 I'm woondering if  things did improved as I'm having the same problem since coming off pill. I would like to think that  there is a cure for this as this makes me worry  so much. Have you done any treatment? And how long did it take for your hair to grow back?  Thanks- April
I have been on Depo Provera for almost 5 years. My hair was thick before. Now it is extremely thin when I get it done at the Dominicans. I have not gained weight from theDepo and my breasts have not grown. I think they lost a cup size. Could the depo shot actually be hurting my body?