Sudden Weight Gain but Not Pregnant
I'll be 46 at the end of this month & just moved to a new state so I don't have the luxury of knowing any doctors.  In the last 1-2 months I suddenly gained 40 + lbs & look pregnant.   That seems to be where the weight all is.  A urinalysis proved negative for pregnancy on Monday & with my 3 grown kids I did not gain this much weight &/or so fast.  I just look pregnant & feel "full - heavy - tired & short of breath" most of the time.  Tomorrow I go for a Pelvic ultrasound w/a full bladder.  The day after I am scheduled for an Abdomen ultrasound - w/fasting.  Any idea what we are looking for or what could cause this?  I can barely eat because I feel so full & yet it's lately that I've gained the most weight.  I am not in pain, I just feel miserable - like over due.  When I asked at the doctor's office what could cause this & what we are looking for they said 'a cyst, tumor, or cancer'...... I would kind of like a bit more information if at all possible.  In the last week I gained another 10lbs & I know this can not be good or keep on.  

Thanks,
JoeShell
Did you ever get any answers? I have the same thing going on...and no known cause or resolution as of yet after seeing several doctors....beyond desperate and frustrated at this point.

C
Did you get any medical diagnosis yet? I gained 22 pounds in 4 days and we have ruled out failing kidneys and heart problems and my doctor is clueless.

Carma
***@****
att
I have the same problem and have had all the ultrsounds pregnancy test and so on. I am frustrated and don,t know what to do now. Drs. say I am fine but this cannot be ok. I have the same exact symptoms as you.
I , too, have the same thing, One day I woke up and was swollen from head to toe- once the rest of my body's swelling went down, my stomach & pelvis area were still swollen- looking as if I was 7 -8 months pregnant, I have had ultrasounds done, bloodwork drawn, colonoscopy, Barium Enema- and still, I am no wiser than before. I am now schedued to see an Oncologist. The frustration of gaing over 35 pounds in less than 2 moinths is depressing  and frustrating. I was wondering if you had received any answers to your symptoms. I am a 50 year old post menpausel woman and they did find a small cyst on my left ovary- but the Dr's said that it was of no concern. If , by any chance, you have heard of what this mysterious ailment is, I would be grateful if you shared the news with me
I really do not have much knowledge about the exact name but my mother had these EXACT same symptoms!! Her belly looked like she was 7 months prego as well and she was 51 years at the time.  She finally got diagnosed with liver disease and Hepatitis and it was very serious. I don't know anything else about it but if you haven't got any answers from your doc yet maybe ask them about liver disease?
hi there, I am in the same boat. I have gained 20lbs, in the last 2 months. My doctor thinks that it is my thyroid, its Underactive. I went for blood tests on Mon, and I go see the doctor today, so I will let you know what happens.
Wow, this is crazy becuase I am having the same symptoms.  I have not gained as much as you all (about a pound a week so far) but it's only been 5 weeks and I've been into a 6-day a week, 6-week program for almost 4 weeks.  I've also been eating better.  I just can't figure it out!  I've had to go buy some new clothes in a bigger size because I have nothing to wear.  I'm wondering if it has to do with hormones.  Ever since a m/c in Jan. at 14 weeks my blood pressure has been up, I've had headaches, and my normal palpatations have increased.  I'm so sick of feeling like this!!  I, too, feel pg but I know I'm not.  A few weeks ago my OB signed off on me but told me to see my family doc because my bp was going up.  I watched my bp at home and we found that it would get high anytime I go to the office.  I'm really hesitant to go back there!  But I'm sick of feeling so incredibly bloated and FAT.  I've been trying to lose weight since my 5th child 2 years ago and all of a sudden all my hard work has flown out the window.  This is ridiculous!
I forgot to mention that I, too, had my thyroid checked and everything was normal.  It's making me wonder if there really is something wrong.
g50
I gain weight durring stressful situations. I had a friend who was in her 50's and she agained alot of weight and fast . She too could not find the solution untill one dayI think it was her apendex acted up and she had to have it removed. When they went to remove it the doctors were surprised she had a huge sack full of fluid. They removed the equvelant of 2 large jugs of milk from her tomack. It turns out the ultrasound did not pick it up because it was fluid so it did not show. The fluid was tested and all I heard from her it was a mixure of blood and lack of doctor term water. She dropped about 30 + lbs from this. She did not need to use her scooter as much after going to physo. Go figure thats all I know of her situation. It never returned.
I feel for you's very much. Are you diabetic? I have no clue.
i am 37 . i too have gains weight. i weighed 135 a month and a half ago...today i weigh 173....for a total of 38 lbs!i weigh more now than when i gave birth , all 3 times! i don't understand. tho possible peri-menopause ? i also have had some night sweats . some woke me up w/ horrible electric heat in my back . sometimes i wake up on cold wet sheets.. i am getting pimples , unsightly hair ,and my boobs LITERALLY feel like huge heavy bowling balls. i have practiced some running but feel like i'm dying when i do it . and further more the very next morning i swear....i have gained more weight! i am literally gaining weight EVERY DAY.
That is so wierd , I weighed 135 , or under forever than suddenly hit 170 , gaining weight daily also . I have never been this large in my life . If you find out your cause please let us know !  I cant afford to see a doctor without insurance , so any ADVICE ?
Missannoyed,  the original poster was over a year ago.  It seems unlikely she'll return.

You need to see a doctor.  I know you don't have insurance,  but priorities are priorities, and if you're gaining weight DAILY your health is at grave risk.

Money is only money.  Your life is worth more than that.

Best wishes.  I hope it works out for you.
I have been having this same issue, a couple of years ago for some reason all the sudden I started gaining weight, I weighed 135 and got up to 175 within a matter of months.  Then after that all the sudden I lost 50lbs within a matter of a few months, that stayed off for a year.  Now once again I am gaining weight at a rapid speed.  Since September of this year I have gained about 25 almost 30lbs and most of that being within the last few weeks, I too gain weight daily.  I have had my thyroid checked many times and nothing, all tests come back normal.  Recently I did have a bout of an inflamed colon with bleeding, on Monday I am supposed to be having a EGD and a colonoscopy.  I have had one before but it showed nothing.  This is all very upsetting considering the way things are these days and I don't have enough money to just being going and buying clothes every other weekend.  If there is anything out there that would help me please write back I am in desperate need here.  Thanks and regards,
Kari
5'1", age 34, vegetarian (15 years), active, dance instructor, current (last 2 months) weight 130 and gaining (usuall weight 112-115). Went from sz 0 to sz 4. Just did full blood panel-- I am perfect..., nothing wrong... but still: during the day fatigue would hit me so hard that I colapse on the floor and could not move for good 5-10 minutes. At nights I sweat so bad that usually need to change pillows and all sheets in the middle of the night. When I catch a little cold, my lymphnodes swell up so badly that I can not move my arms. ... my next step is to ask doc's to check my liver and my lymphomatic system. This is unbelievable. I have no idea what to do and do not understand why doctors are so "hands-off". If anyone finds an answer to your problem, please let us know!
I was just wondering if anyone had any further info yet in regard to these issues listed?
It appears that several people are having the same problems and they dont have a clue either. I too weigh more than I did when I gave birth to any of my 3 children and this is weight gain all in the past couple of years. I look 8 or 9 months pregnant.!
It's driving me nuts and so uncomfortable. Alot of people wanna chalk it all off to 'peri menapause', but i know several women my age that are NOT gaining the weight like this. My normal weight has always been 100 to 115 my whole life and this is so uncomfortable for me. I've been tryin to do some research which is how i came upon this blog and I was surprised to read the rest of the ladies comments. I havent started going to the Dr yet but it's coming. I'm just dredding going thru all sorts of tests that arent needed and cant tell me anything,, and have to be paid for.
So if theres any word yet, it'd be great to hear back.
Thanks tons
Deb
51 yrs old
I had similar symptoms several years ago. It started with bleeding from the colon at age 16, but doctors were clueless. A colonscopy showed nothing. This continued off and on for several years. At 28, I began to miss periods and have hot flashes. Every now and then, I suffered from huge sporadic weight gains despite no changes in diet or exercise regimen. By 32, I couldn't get pregnant, and my doctor found out I was in early menopause. My ovaries got an ultrasound, but didn't show cysts. My bladder was also checked and nothing was found. My blood test showed normal hormone levels, except for my FSH which was high. By 36, I was completely through menopause even though all the other women in my family (3 sisters, mother, aunt, 4 female cousins) were fertile through their 40s and had periods through their 50s. I am now 42 and going through another fast weight game right now - 2 lbs a day. Only a low carb diet will keep the weight off - I can cut calories and work out 'til the cows come home, but I still put on weight. My blood sugar is 99. My thyroid is normal, but I have low blood pressure. A new odd development - cysts all over my legs - as of last year. Two doctors say they are lypomas, but they are hard and red. My doctor did blood tests and everything is good to normal. Any ideas?
I was a size 4, around 140 at 5'7", then the past two months I gaineda bout 15 pounds. I work out at least 3-4 times a week, super athletic, don't eat too bad. Went to my doctor - he did liver and thyroid. it came back normal. He was nasty to me and didn't offer anything up except that i need to work out more...I feel like my food is not processing and is all in my belly. Did any of you with similar symptoms find otu what was wrong from your doctor?
I'm going to another doctor for a second opinion and this time it's a woman.
Well,, I know I havent heard or read or found out anything new since I wrote in here.
I keep putting off doing to the Dr cuz I just totaly dred it. I know they will start some ''process of illimination'' stuff that will only end up costing me an arm & leg in the long run cuz I dont have any insurance.
But,,, I do not feel that this weight gain is due to me overeating either.
I dont do anything any differently lately than I ever did before.
Other than I stopped smoking back in March,,, so I expected to gain a few pounds there,, but this weight gain started long before that even.
I have gained nearly 50/60 lbs in the past 3 years or maybe a little less time.
So i could correct the 'rapid' part a little bit,, but still,,, it is way more than ever before in my lifetime. I barely recognize myself in the mirror anymore and it doesnt seem to be getting any better. I have tried different things that use to cause me to drop a few pounds almost right away and nothing works.
I am full & bloated and look 9 months pregnant. It's rediculous.
If I hear or read or find out anything new I will come back and update this too.
Deb

OH YEA,,, I am a bit concerned since we havent heard anything at all from the original poster. It worries me that she hasnt been back,,, so I'm really hoping that shes had good news and things are ok with her,, rather than the alternative.
I, too, have been experiencing the unexplained, rapid weight gain!!! I am almost 39 years old. I am heavier then I ever have been, even at the delivery of each of my 4 children! Just a few months ago, I was 3 pant sizes smaller. I can litterally feel the weight gain weekly. I have done NOTHING differently then I have done my entire life. No eating changes...nothing, just pounds litterally packing on. I have had blood tests...and of course just KNEW it was my thyroid. I was SHOCKED to find out my thryoid was fine! I have so many of the symptoms! I am tired, lethargic, short of breath, no lebido, my hair is falling out of my eyebrows, I am forgetful, I snore like you would NOT believe...the list goes on and on....my Dr. has been very willing to do whatever test she can think of....but everything is NORMAL!!! What is going on??? She seems to think this is just part of the aging process. My metabolism is slowing down??? Is THIS how it happens?? Just BOOM? You pack on the pounds all of a suddon??? I just don't FEEL like ME anymore physically? I would LOVE to know if anyone out there finds an answer!!! My doc even tested me to see if my body was making "antibodies" to my thyriod..but nope...normal agian! I tried to low carb diet...last time I did that...wow...pounds just MELTED off..within months I lost like 40lbs...THIS time I tried..I CONTINUED to GAIN weight!!! I feel like this is hopeless!!!! HELP!!!!!
To anyone with this sudden weight gain problem...please see an endocrinologist.  One possibility is Cushing's Syndrome or Cushing's Disease.  Another is prophoria.  These are not all that difficult to diagnose, but may not be on the mind of an internist who may just think women gain weight from emotional stuff (ie, eating to calm feelings a la Oprah).  

Another thing to check is medication side effects.

I'm not certain about weight gain, but a pregnant looking belly can be from uterine fibroids.

A big belly from fluid trapped like in one post is often from liver problem and can be very serious.

I'm not in health care, but I have been trying to figure out weight gain in my daughter, so I've learned a bit along the way.  Her situation is probably medication side effect, but we are ruling out cushing's.
Hi there - I'm a 36 year old mother of one.  I have been successfully and happily living a low carb lifestyle for nearly 2 years!  It has agreed with me right from the start and I lost approx. 30 pounds in the first 5 months.  I then successfully maintained my weight at 139-143 for the last year and a half.  LOVE low carb!  After feeling as though I had finally gotten a grip on a better style of eating for myself and had become very regimented with my carb intake, I felt confident to take on my next "evil" and quit smoking in October 2008.  

I used Chantix to help with this process and completed the full 12 week cycle of Chantix before stopping it as prescribed about 5 weeks ago.  I am happy to report I am still smoke free!  However, I had gained approx. 4-5 pounds over the 3 months of Chantix/quitting.  

Therefore, I put myself back to Induction level carb intake (20 grams or less a day) to kick start taking off the 5 pound gain as well as started a 3x per week exercise regimen of walking/running a mile or two on the treadmill as well as leg lifts, ab workouts etc to try and kick up my progress even further.  Should be a breeze right????  WRONG.  

For 4 weeks I did not weigh myself while I pressed on with my plan (as I can be a bit of a scale watcher).  But after 4 weeks of not weighing myself, taking in less carbs, and exercising I knew I was not progressing... could just FEEL the stagnation.  

Well, I finally DID weigh myself just 4 days ago and durning that 4 week cycle I not only showed zero progress I ACTUALLY GAINED 15 POUNDS!!!!!!  That's right - 15 in 4 weeks!  I've never gained like this in my life!! Even during my most monthly gain during my pregnancy and during THAT I had a total gain of 60 pounds in 10 months!!!

I am at a loss.  So depressed.  So overwhelmed.  So beaten down.  I just cry at the drop of a hat now........  

Is it a side effect of Chantix even though I completed it a month ago???  Is it thyroid issues???  Something else???  I haven't felt so miserable and out of control of my body EVER!!!!!!!!  I have been so depressed and can think of nothing else.  I feel so unattractive.  I feel like a failure.  Before this terrible quick onset gain, I felt confident and proud and sexy and accomplished.  I front a blues/jazz band and feeling good about myself helps me do my job as a singer.  Without my usual confident self, I fear how I will handle my next performance in just a few days..............  I am so down.

I did see my doctor yesterday and he had bloods drawn to check for thyroid.  I did present with Grave's Eye Disease 2 years ago and so the likelihood of a compromised thyroid is possible with me but I can't help but feel like I've somehow missed something and don't know what???  The thyroid tests won't come back soon enough, I can assure you!  I will come back and post follow ups for you to read and maybe my discoveries will help someone else who comes to this board exasperated and heavy overnight!  

I would appreciate knowing if any of the previous posters have found answers to their problem???  Please give an update if you would.  

Thank you all and many blessings.
I am so pleased to find that others are suffering like I am.  I woke up Christmas Eve morning, so swollen that I had to wear a tracksuit all over Christmas.  I have gone up 11/2 clothes sizes in a few days.  I have just had a Mirena coil fitted to try and cut down on the heavy bleeding and bleeding between periods.  I had an ultrasound at New Year which showed several small fibroids which they didn't think were causing the bleeding.  The doctor has identified a small hard sore which she thinks is a cyst on my cervix.  I have a check up in 5 weeks for the coil and the cyst.  I have a third smear test in April although the last one (October) was normal they said.  I am so tired of looking pregnant, feeling heavy and bloated -  and having cramps, now I seem to have diarheaa as well. (sorry can't spell) The doctors don't have a clue.  I will update this if I find out any information at all to help everyone..
UPDATE:

Well, the verdict is in and the diagnosis is "extreme hypothyroid".  So I am happy to say that I am not going nuts after all!!!  LOL  I've been placed on Synthroid and will be rechecked every 6 weeks for awhile until the dosing is correct and the levels are healthy.  I will also be seeing an endocrinologist in a couple of weeks to continue care through him.  

Moral of my story:  TRUST YOURSELF.  If you feel "off" then insist on investigating why!  I knew I was not myself and thankful I listened to my body and sought out help from my doctor.  I will be working very hard to drop the extra weight that came over me during the last month or so before diagnosis.  I need to feel my "old self" again!  
I can't believe this is happening to so many of us. I have always been petite- . It seems like in a matter of 2 weeks I gained enough to not fit into my favorite jeans. I have purchased clothing in a size bigger. I am now 38 and had been wearing the same size since 19 until 2 months ago.  I do have an underactive thyroid but that was diagnosed years ago in 2001. Last time I went to the dr  I was told my med level was to high ( by a little)... though I did not change it because I am gaining weight. I have tried everything... even  liposuction. I keep getting bigger. I do not know why this has happened so suddenly and what to do. I am a vegetarian really into physical fitness. I am at a loss. Even the much renouned ACAI berry has not worked. If anyone out there has found out why this is occuing it would be great to know. I do plan on seeing a dr but will be out of town for a while so a lenghtly process of elimination is really not in my future... at least for a few months. I am terrified to think what I will look like if I wait a few months. Has anyone had any luck with slimfast or metafast???
hi i am only fifteen and i gain a pound a week i have ultrasounds done my thyroid checked pregnancy test i am younger than most of you guys but i have been experiencing the same symptoms im really nervous so any advice would be great
I am sitting here in tears because this is ME TOO... in the last few weeks I have gained 20 pounds. My body is swollen, I ache, my belly is distended.
I went to my dr yesterday (I have Hashimotos Thyroiditis) for a full blood panel of all thyroid tests. I have a "catch" in my throat when swallowing.
I was going to boot camp several times a week, even though I am obese and way overweight and stuck to eating plan as well as exercising. I am 47 years old and am peri-menopausal.
I admit to being really concerned that this is something more than hypothyroid related.
I can't exercise now, I have thee pants that fit, I look like hell and feel worse. I can't stand anything binding my abdomen at all.
I am sorry other people have this happening but also am finding some relief that I am not alone. I could use some reassurance if anyone is listening. Thank you so much and hang in there everyone
Hi, I came across this post after searching sudden weight gain on google.  I have put on 7 lb in 2 weeks.  I was eating less during this time trying to lose a couple of pounds, so was shocked.  The only change I had made was giving up decaf coffee and having liquorice tea instead.  I think in my case this might be the problem.  It turns out that liquorice tea has the effect of producing cortisol, which can lead to weight gain.  I was having 4-5 cups a day.  I've now stopped and my weight has stabalized.  I'll let you know if it starts going down.  Liquorice tea has a lot of health benefits, I guess I was just having too much of it, and didn't need the extra cortisol effect.  Was also experiencing thumping palpitaions and lightheadedness, headaches and tiredness.  Hoping it is just the tea.  Might be worth thinking about what herbs or chemicals you are having daily and checking the cautions.  I hope you are all finding your answers somewhere, shedding the unwanted pounds and feeling better.
Oh Wow guess what?  Me, too.  I have had blood tests and two ultrasounds, a transvaginal, and abdominal.  The doctor couldn't feel my uterus(due to the swollen gut) during a routine pap, so he is ordering all these tests and will do a biopsy.He ordered a TSH, FSH, and CBC blood test.  My troubles seem to have started since Mother's day.  I noticed that I was getting bigger in the belly and was making jokes about being pregnant.  Other people noticed and asked me about it, that is when I got a bit concerned.  I have put on at least 25 lbs. and the only place that swells is my belly.Swelling is more later in day, after food.  I have started trying not to eat as it makes me so uncomfortable.  My butt and thighs are the same size.  I admit to being overweight,but this is getting obscene.  I am also having heavier that normal periods and feeling very tired and my legs ache.  I am positive that pregnancy is not an issue.  I am celibate and have had tubal ligation 21 years ago.  Probably menopausal but again weird stuff.  Will try to get back to post later but if anything is learned let me know.
I am new here, and after reading these posts, I see that I am not alone with these symptoms.
I am 55, post menapausal, and have gained 40 pounds in 2 months. I too have had to buy larger size clothes to fit my larger size.  My 5'5" small boned frame went from 150 lbs to 190 lbs so fast!  My PCP gave me a lecture on my weight gain and ordered TSH and CBC twice. They all came back within normal limits. In addition to the weight gain similar to those posted here, I have been having lower right abdominal pain and pain above my belly button. When the doctor pressed near the belly button, I felt pain there and it radiated to my lower right abdomoen. I had a CT scan which showed normal apendix and gall bladder. As a matter of fact, they said everything was normal from the CT scan.  However they never mentioned ovaries, uterus or any of the reproductive organs.  What they DID say was that I was experiencing muscle spasms.  Yet, they didn't say what muscles were going into spasms.  This pain is sometimes dull, and sometimes very painful.  I was told to take tylenol for the pain.
Now, after reading here, I am going to be more pro active in my health care and ask for additional testing.
I am just wondering if anyone else experiences the pain like I have explained and what kinds of tests were done.
Well, I said I'd get back to you, so here I am.  The half stone I put on in just over a week came off in 3 days after I gave up the liquorice tea!  My heart palpitations are less frequent and I'm feeling much healthier.  Thanks to anyone who read my posts and good luck with your sudden weight gain.  I hope you all find the cause soon and feel better. xx
I am 21 and have been struggling with weight gain since March.  I put on 30 lbs in 10 weeks and then just kept gaining.  I ran 2 miles a day and did core exercises everyday, but the weight kept adding up.  My mom is a doctor and even she can't figure out what is going on with me.  I have had so many blood tests, CTs, and MRIs; yet, everything comes back normal.  I know that there is something wrong with me because I'm currently sleeping close to 16 hours every day.  I have tried so many diets, but nothing works; I feel that it makes everything worse.  Today I found out that I have normal cortisol levels and do not have Cushing's Syndrome...I'm running out of patience and faith.  I need a diagnosis.
I posted that I too have these symptoms, and the tests that the doctor has done.  I am proud to say that I am cancer-free, no fibroids or polyps, blood work is in the normal range.  He did say that the heavy periods were peri-menopausal and suggested ablation.  Also saw no fluid build-up in abdomen, but suggested an Internist or gastrosomething or other.  I have started taking probiotic enzymes for digestion.  I am also taking vesicare for bladder stuff.  I still am swelling and feeling yucky, but I think that the cancer-free  stuff made me think that whatever this is I can beat it and hopefully find an answer.  It has also been suggested that I might want them to look at the gallbladder and liver.  Anything helpful you hear please post so we can use it to find answers to our ballooning bellies.
Not to be repeating everyone has already said, but I to am suffering the same weight issues. I am 46, in good health, don't eat horribly, not feeling overly fatigued or any particular symptoms except the extreme weight gain.  In three months I have put on over 30 pounds. I think we should post things we're doing that may be in common.  I use alot of nutra sweetened (like Equal) in my coffee which is frequent. Anyone else?  I am planning to go to the doctor but after hearing all this don't see a good reason to go to hear nonsense.
still no news the pro-biotics help minimally, but not solution.  I have a blow-up every so often and belly gets hard, full, and prego-looking.  No gas to speak of but pain yes. I can't pinpoint foods as cause as one time salad, next proteins, or fried foods.  had a major blowup earlier this week and ended up in ER.  No infection, or food poisoning but have been sick as a dog.  Am too follow up with doctor today wish me luck.
Glad to see I am not the only one that has gained a lot of weight in a short amount of time. I've gained 25 lbs in 4 months. I look like I'm pregnant, my butt looks like a cow, I've gone from a size 0 to a size 5. The dr's can't find anything wrong. I do have a cysts on my left ovary but the dr isn't worried about it. I have had a partial hysterectomy back in 1993 and I stayed a 0 so I doubt it is that. I have been having a lot of hot flashes though. I'm sick of looking like this, my blood pressure is up, so I am thinking that all of this has something to do with each other. I just wish we could find out what is causing all of this, I have had blood tests even for cancer and everything is good. Has anyone found out anything on there problem would like to get something to go on.

Poohb620
I'm 26 and have been experiencing these same symptoms for a couple months now.  I've gained about 40 lbs in the last few months and can't explain the weight gain at all.  I also have the distended belly and have been asked if I'm pregnant, which I'm not.  One symptom that I have that I haven't seen mentioned is a bad pain between my shoulder blades.  This is really starting to cause me great distress.  I feel very tired all the time and could sleep day and night if I let myself.  I have also been getting headaches....3-4 times per week....and some of them are quite severe.
And if that's not enough....all this physical stuff is taking a toll on me emotionally.  I feel gross and almost hate leaving the house because nothing seems to fit right and I hate the way I look.
I went to the doctor last week and he sent me for some blood work, but in reading everyone else's comments I'm not expecting anything to show up in the blood work.  I go for the results tomorrow.
I will keep everyone updated as to what comes of this.  I will ask for every test in the book if I have to.  I won't stop until I find out what's wrong.
I have all the same symptoms, plus i have under active thyroid, insulin resistance and i have gained about twenty pounds in three weeks. I have been doing alot of research and my doctor is going to test for adrenal fatigue. you should definatly have this checked and atleast ruled out. Good Luck to Everyone.
I have been so happy to find this website.  All this started back in December 2007 when all of a sudden I had high blood pressure after I never had this problem before.  I was always about 120 or so lbs and gained up to 135 in 2008.  I have struggled with my weight all through 2009 and literally do not eat that much, but definitely eat healthy, lots of salads and fish, nuts.  Work out 4-5 times @ week, 45 min plus cardio plus weights.  But it seems all this is not helping and to top it off now I get these little nausea spills a couple of times @ week.  I talked with my dr (gp) and he did a thyroid test, which was normal.  My gyno tests were all normal too.  I am 44 and have regular periods.  In July it got worse, I gain and loose.  Like 2 weeks ago I weighed in at 147, then down to 139 (4 days ago) then up to 148 as of today.  I feel full all the time and really do not eat that much.  I never was constipated  but as of July I have that too and need to drink the fiber drinkies to "go".  Everything is right in the front, I feel swollen.  My doctor said I just need to watch my calories (my calorie intake is not much more than 1000-1200 @ day).  I do not really have an appetite anyway thus not too hard to do.  You would think I lose some weight.  Nah.  I am literally desperate and have been looking on the internet for some answers when I found this site.  It makes me feel good to see I am not the only one and I definitely will make an appt with an endocrinologist.  Start there.  If anyone has suggestions, please let me know.  I also added this to my favorites so I can give an update.
Someone help me please. I am eighteen. I have recently gained 40 pounds in less than three months.  I am really scared.  This seems impossible.  The strangest thing is that I just got on the scale and my weight was +10 lbs from a week ago.  I have been having terrible pains under my ribs.  These pains knock the breath out of me and cause me to have pain even standing while I'm at work.  I am a teenager. I should not have pains like this.  I also have been very tired but unable to sleep a full night.  My diet hasn't changed at all and I'm not stressed.  I need advice because I'm afraid I can't go on living this way.
I am in the same boat.  I had a similar weight gain last year, but as mysteriously as the weight appeared...it seemed to fall off of me within a one month period.  However, I have gained 40 lbs in 2 months, my blood pressure has suddenly jumped after being controled with 5mg of Lisinepril.  I am getting married in 1 month and I look like I am 8 months prego!  I too had normal thyroid tests, however I had an elevated calcium level.  I did some research and found this was a possible indication of para-thyroid disease.  My doctor has had me repeat the blood tests to check the calcium level-I has been at 11.9 then would drop to 10.2 (normal limit).  I have extremely low iron level.  And I have been told I have uterine fibroids.  I am 45 years old and very physically active-hiking, kyaking, cross country skiing and have gone from 145 lbs to 187 lds in 2 months.  I also take 100 mg of zoloft daily.  I have completely stopped consuming sugar laden beverages and alcohol, and recently started eating 1 meal a day to avoid the bloated feeling.  If I eat more than that I feel like I have food coming back up into my throat.  
Have you learned anything about your condition?
I've been reading all of your articles, and as the rest of you are concerned about your health, so am I.  I hate to come out and say this, but my sister passed away, less than a month after turning 42 years old.  She was a big girl, so her symptoms went completely unnoticed, even by her.  I mean, the swelling etc.  That is, until she was so swollen, that she could barely get enough air to talk.  She sounded like someone who was hoarse, with a bad cold.  When she reached that point, she called me and told me that she was very "swollen".  I asked her if there was any chance at all that she was pregnant.  Of course there wasn't, since her tubes had been tied years ago.  Anyway, a couple of weeks went by and nothing changed.  She was getting bigger and bigger and could barely breath from all the swelling in her stomach area.  She was admitted to the hospital, where 17 liters of fluid was drained from her abdomen.  The doctors tested her for everything BUT ovarian cancer.  The big scare was that it might be her liver, since our father passed away at 60 years of age from liver cancer, but it was fine.  No liver cancer, she was thrilled.  But, on the 8th day of being in the hospital, the doctors tested the fluid they had drawn out of her for Ovarian Cancer, and that was exactly what it was.  This was on Dec. 18th of 2002.  By May of 2003, they were telling her how great she was doing.  No sign of anything.  She could "be the poster child for ovarian cancer".....No tumors, nothing!  (Nothing that they oucld see, anyway)  By the end of June, she took a drastic turn for the worse.  It's true, they didn't see any tumors, but she was far from being cancer free.  The cancer had lined the inside of her body like saran wrap, so they couldn't see it.  Her bowels became blocked and her body was collecting fluid over and over.  My sister died Aug. 2, 2003.  She didn't even live 8 months from the time she was diagnosed.  I've always been a small framed person, and every time my abdomen seems to be the least bit bloated, I nearly panic.  I live in a constant fear of this cancer.  I've noticed lately that I am gaining weight rather quickly, and it scares me to death.  Part of me wants to know if I'm carrying that gene and part of me doesn't.  There's a test that can be done.  It's called a CA-125 that can tell you if you have that gene or not, and my sister asked me to have it done, but I can't make myself do it.  Not yet, anyway.  I guess what I've been trying to get to, is that I'm surprised that more of you have not mentioned anything at all about your doctors testing you for ovarian cancer.  I only saw one person who had posted anything about being tested for cancer...or knowing that they didn't have cancer.  Testing fluid that your body may be holding or anything is a definate way of finding out.  It my opinion, it's the only way.  Ovarian cancer is not going to jump up and hit the doctors in the face.  They are not going to find it with a pap smear....,my sister never missed hers.  Make them test you, and if you don't feel right about how your body feels, don't give up.  I didn't write this to scare anyone, just to make you a little more aware.  I was totally ignorant to ovarian cancer.  When my sister told me she had it, I said, okay, we will just have everything removed and you will be fine...,.this cancer doesn't work that way.  You don't have time to wait on everyone else....keep searching if you don't get your answers.  As for the very first poster on here, when I read her post, and then looked at the date, my fear was that she had not made it....her story sounded all too familiar...but I pray that she did.  Good luck to all of you and I'll remember you in my prayers.  Just remember, if it's not normal, there's a reason behind it...make someone find it.  We only have this one life.....please remember me in your prayers as well.
*****UPDATE*****

Don't have much of an update, but thought I'd post since it's been a bit since I posted last.  As I had suspected in my original post, there wasn't anything unusual about my blood tests.  The only thing that my doctor noticed was that my insulin levels were a bit high.  I've been told in the past that I'm insulin resistant.  He wasn't alarmed by this at all.  I have been referred to an endocrinologist and I'm hopeful that something he will be able to shed some light as to what is going on.  I will be meeting with the endocrinologist at the end of this month.

Thank you to everyone that has been posting.....there are many questions that I can ask when I meet with my endocrinologist from the suggestions that others have made on here.
I have been on prozac for 6 weeks and folks are starting to say, "have you lost weight".  The doctor didn't feel like gall bladder was involved and I did have food poisoning when I went to ER that time just took the right dr to let me know.  The diagnosis as of now is weight gain due to stress and age related.  I am staying on top of it and will post if anything happens differently.  Still have a prego looking gut but am walking so xxx(fingers crossed).
I am 22 years old and have always been active.  If I didn't watch what I ate or hadn't exercised and put on a few pounds, I have always been able to quickly lose it without much effort.  I have always had a flat stomach.  That is why when I gained 13lbs within 4-6 weeks I began to panic.  As soon as I put on a few pounds I did my normal increased activity and decreased cal intake to lose it but instead gained more.  Now for the past few weeks I have been doing extreme cardio 7 days a week MUCH more than I ever have in my life and I also have decreased my normal calorie intake by about 60% and will not budge.  I can not fit any of my clothes as my entire upper body is bloated including my breasts which are extremely sensative causing me to only feel comfortable wearing my padded bras now.  Even my under doesn't fit-I don't think I've gained weight in my a** but all of my underwear now will only cover half my a**!!! Weirder thing is although NOTHING fits undergarments and all, no one seems to think I appear to have gained much and I'm the only one who understands how frustrating this is.  I'm now depressed and crying everyday when I get dressed.  I thought I might find an answer online but now I REALLY feel depressed.  There has to be an answer...I will find it
hi back in 2006 i went from 140 and in a year weighed 250 I just kept gaining and gaining. i worked out almost every day and ate right was always on the go over night i gained 15 pounds. But it started with dizziness and missed periods did anyone else have those symptoms too? Now 3 years later i had lost wight went from 250 to 200 butnow in the last week it has started again i went from 200 to 215 already i need help so if anyone can help and they know what it is let me know and also if i find out anything ill tell you i have been going from dr to dr and state to state to find out what is wrong and no answers i have been to so many different drs its nuts.
I'm a 20 year old girl. One year ago today...I was wearing a size 5 jeans/shorts....5'8" & 135-140 lbs (depending on how much taco bell i ate on the weekends! =P). I've always been very active, played softball and volleyball throughout my childhood and high school, and was supposed to play in college...but go a shoulder injury last minute. Anywho, around March I began eating even healthier and working out almost everyday still...just out of habit...I feel like..weird if i don't.

Then....after no major weight loss or gain.... I suddenly in June (just in time for swimsuit season....and I live on the coast in TX...so it sucked) I went from my 140 on a "fat" day....to 220 by the middle of August. So, in a month and a half I gained nearly 100 lbs. I never changed my eating or exercise habits until early September when for some reason I kept getting weaker and weaker....to the point where I couldn't take the stairs anymore. My mom and both grandmothers have thyroid problems....so, I assumed it was something to do with that, and got a full blood workup done and everything came back normal. He told me I must be not noticing when I'm eating and just keep working out. UGH.

Some days I would literally gain 5 lbs in a DAY!! I am now a size 13 or 15 depending on the brand. My weight like leveled off relatively around 220...but it flucuates daily. Almost all the weight is in my upper thighs and stomach. My arms are still pretty muscular and skinny....my calves are still defined. Also, even though I have all this fat on my stomach.....if you poke when I flex....I still have my 6 pack!! you can feel it...through the fluff.

I've been working hard conditioning myself to get used to the abnormal baggage that was added to my exercise routine...and I can now go up the stairs without wheezing. I also obviously have these massive purple stretch marks on my breasts and inner thighs....which I guess can be expected from the weight gain. However, I have recently been having even more symptoms........hot flashes, fatigue, my heart will start pounding really hard for no reason and i have to sit down, dizziness, i've been relatively hypoglycemic all my life, but now i CRAVE straight sugar after i exert myself, my general anxiety disorder has been much more ferocious and harder for the medication to control, my jaws hurt in the evenings, and my bones probably once a week feel like they are tearing out of my body. I'm always cold, like my mom, but then I'll get the hot flashes randomly throughout the day, so it's like i can never get comfortable. One minute I'll have 3 quilts on and sweatshirt and the next i'll have to turn on the fan and sprawl out on the tile wearing shorts and a tanktop (or now that its cold outside...its easier...i just open a window and it helps).

Its so annoying, and both my psychiatrist and my PCP said i seem normal. but, i KNOW i'm not. my entire family is twig skinny, and there is no apparent reason for my weight gain. I am on birth control, and have been since i was 14 because I used to have VERY irregular periods... like sometimes a week apart...sometimes 6 months. So, we have ruled out that its the birth control. Also, I am on Zoloft for anxiety...and when i started it, i lost 5 lbs. But, still nothing that makes a dent!!

I'm so tired of being told to keep trying...because I can't eat less...or it would be VERY unhealthy...and I can't workout any more or it would be ridiculous! Everytime I go home, my family stares, and they don't say much....but its just that you know what they are thinking as they look me over. i just disgust myself...and nothing i do helps.

Any advice??? I have to go back to my PCP this month for my birth control refill, and I am going to talk to him again...but this time I want to come armed....I'm making a list of all of my symptoms...dated pictures i took of myself during the weight gain to document how rapid it was, and i would like to throw out some ideas. This time last year I was a happy go-lucky, annoyingly perky 19yearold who used to model throughout high school. Now, I am a obese 20 year old who is depressed and tired of having to wear her fiance's clothes because nothing in my 2 closets and dresser fits anymore.......

=( please help
I just read your post and am wondering if your doctor has checked you for celiac.  I was diagnosed last year and that was due to a friend suggesting that my doctor check me for it.  Prior to being diagnosed, I would get dizzy and blackout.  I would have hard time accomplishing anything and would be tired all the time.  It would be hard for me to walk one mile when I could walk 10 before.  I had severe anxiety and would get constant panic attacks.  What helped was taking a good magnesium supplement.  What I have found is that in some people, undiagnosed celiac will cause them to lose weight and for others, they gain weight.  If you not familiar with what celiac is, its an allergy to gluten (wheat, barley, rye, etc.).  If you have this and eat anything with gluten, you kill off the villi in your intestines which cause you bosy not to absord any nutrients - therefore causing many other health issues.
I hope this helps and hope you feel better soon :)
I went to Europe a few months ago and when I was there I thought that I had got Swine Flu. I came back and within 2 weeks put on 10% of my body weight! Since the weight gain, I have been on a strict low carb diet and exercise only to gain weight! I have been researching like crazy to see what happened. Recently, I searched stomach bacteria and stomach virus because I'm bloated and feel like it has to do with getting sick in Europe. I'm freaking out since I searched stomach virus and found a ton of articles on the "OBESITY VIRUS" which is also called AD-36 or H5N1. It says that this is similar to H1N1 except it causes you to multiply your fat cells at a rapid rate and most likely will gain 50-100% of your body weight without increasing any food intake. They have tested it by injecting the virus in monkeys, rats and chickens and this is what they found! I'm sincerely freaking out and all these posts seem like proof that it really exists!
I'm so relieved to know that I'm not alone with this mystery.  I weighed 139 over the summer.  In about three months time I gain 30 pounds, probably much more now - I refuse to weigh myself anymore because its so depressing.  I have a tumor on my thyroid and something in one of my lungs and I was sure this was the problem.  All the blood tests they've done have come back fine.  I work in a store and I'm asked daily when I'm due.  My response is aways the same, I wish I was pregnant.  I promise if I find anything out I will post it here.  One weird thing that happened to me during this time (and I'll tell you I go to the doctors practically every week) they put me on prozac and I had a bad reaction to it.  Not only did I look pregnant but I broke out with a rash all over the trunk of my body and on the inside of my thighs.  I went to an allergist and he told me it was a drug reaction like I was a crack addict!  I was so mad, sometimes I think doctors are so pathetic.  You really have to proactive in your own care.  I wish everyone with with ailment luck and please if anyone has any answers come back and let us all know.
Hello Everyone,

As everyone else in this forum have shared, I too have had similar experiences with this mystery weight gain-game. Let's start with this- I am and always have been active in sports, walking, running, biking, volleyball, softball, basketball, you name it, I am a part of it.

In 2005 I was weighing in at about 98lbs. I am 5'4, but this was FAR too thin. It happened after a hard break up and life change in my life. My normal weight was always right around 115-120 from the time I was about 15.
In 2008, I started to notice a lot of bloating after I ate absolutely ANYTHING with sodium, or starch. I stopped eating quite a bit of those things, and even cut back on soda (my largest vice) :( I seemed to be okay -but still never felt 100% okay, or old-self normal.

Last year around this time, I started to notice my figure start to really shift, but only in my abdominal region. I cut back in calorie intake, and again was with a completely flat stomach one day, and looked like I'm pregnant the next...
Well- fast forward to today, and it is sickening. I weight in anywhere from 143 to 150, NOT depending on what I eat or drink, as I have been tracking it very closely. I don't understand it at ALL. Today I had an appointment with an endocrinologist, and he is having me tested for Cortisol, Celiac and thyroid levels. I should be getting back all results early next week so I will keep the forum updated on any new info that comes.
Okay, so I have read everyone's posts, and for the first time, felt like I was in the company of kindred souls... all whom are searching for answers.

I have had episodes of rapid weight gain since 4 1/2 years ago, which would seemingly start before I was going to get my period (although I'm so irregular, who knows when that would be), the first sign was a tingling sensation in my legs that felt like fluid was seeping into them, and then my entire body would puff up and my stomach would distend.
Then once I had my period, the fluid it seemed would peel off slowly but surely.  I had about 3 of those, until this year.  

They all sucked just the same, and I went into the ER, also had every test run on me under the sun, and came out healthy as all hell.

I'm 31 now, 5 feet short, and typically range from 95-105, now I am easily 130 or more... but I'm getting to what happened next.

So the day before Easter 2009 I was so sick, I couldn't eat, nauseated, and feeling very off.  I finally had a nice dinner that night, but the next day, I had the tingling again.  Then within a day I gained 10lbs, two days even more... You all know the feeling.

It feels like your hormones are a bit OVER the top, your skin my burst as your swelling is beyond anything you've seen.  You look pregnant but you couldn't be unless an alien raped you and you are having it's baby.  And heck, you have had every test under the sun to come back at you to announce you are fine.

MY QUESTION TO YOU:  Have you seen a naturopath, homeopath, kinesiologist, or any of the following?  Why?  I have, and guess what, they really care about you.  And although they may not find out what is wrong right away or ever... they are still working with me, they will help you keep digging until they do.

I'm going to be a guinea pig, as I already have been now, using alternative methods, and I will let you know what is happening.  Check out these things if you can: symplexf, folliculinum, apis, raw adrenals.  I guess some people find amazing results on these with our symptoms.  I did not yet, but I am still being the guinea pig.

Oh, btw, the regular doctors shirked me off and said to reduce salt and work out more.  

Last note:  I wish you all luck, and look forward to sharing my story with you soon.
Wow!  What a relief to find this forum.  I thought I was going crazy.  My story is exactly like every one else. Sudden weight gain, fatigue, frustration at looking 6 mos pregnant. I've always weighed about 125lbs.  pretty steady my whole adult life.  I am now 47.  At I gained 15 pounds in 6 weeks around the holidays.  Then another 5 in January. then the weight started coming on more rapidly.  One week I gained 10 pounds. I am now at a 170lbs.  It is heart breaking.  My GP doc is giving me " the well as we get older.., it could be menopause...maybe your not getting enough exercise...."  I've had the ultra sound. Thyroid was low so they put me on Synthroid...but that should have made me lose weight - I have more energy.  But weight is still climbing. It seems like the less I eat the more weight I gain.  I am now eating two small meals a day. Of course I cut out sugars, fats, alcohol, fired food. I look like I'm about 6 months pregnant.The first time some one asked me if when my baby was due I stayed in my bed and cried all day.  What is really weird is that 5 years ago I had lipo on my stomach, and hips.  So I would think that the fat would go other places not just my tummy. I guess, my next stop is the endocronologist.

With so many of us experiencing the exact same symptoms, there has to be answer.  I am on a mission to find it.  If anyone finds something, a clue, an answer,  any info.  Please post it.  Because I think we all feel the  same awful powerless pain .

I read your post on the pregnant looking page. I'm 25 and my mom is also a doctor and completely confused about whats going on. I had been exercising like a fiend, like 2 hours a day and still gaining weight. I gained 30 lbs out of nowhere, going from 105 to 135 in a matter of months. I was sleeping 16+ hours a day as well, once I slept 36 hours straight.  My body was swollen from head to toe in the morning as well

It seems like you have exactly the same story as me, closer than anyone else's that I read. I am so lost.
Did you figure it out? Did you find the answer? Please let me know if you did.

My name is Karen, my email is ***@****
my phone number is 913-558-0712
I'll keep you updated.  Also ask questions from the staff on the site they are amazing.  I have been working with Andrea who has been a G-d send for me.  This is a great site with lots of info to access.

Elliis
Well, I went to the endocrinologist today.  He was to take a look at my Thyroid Medication.  I had a thyroid test two weeks ago but he believes this could be a culprit of my weight gain.  But, I just had a feeling that he was on his own train tracks.  I asked him why I looked at why I looked like I was 7 mos pregnant, and he said "everyone is different."  When I start showing him my weight journal and my food general he said, "That impossible. You can't gain weight that fast." I told him I how in the morning I weighed myself as always and I was 161.7 and at 3:00 in the afternoon the Dr weighed me in at 170.0.He said "Impossible.  it couldn't happen"  My only thought was that for the  support and call me and my GP doc liars.

Needless to say I am going to look for a more sympathetic Dr.  I'll get labs done and then I'll see what happens next.

Tomorrow I am having an endoscopy wish me luck.

Thanks for Staying with me.

Ellis
Wow... This is unbelievable to find so many people with the same symptoms.  I am 40 years old and look about 7-8 months pregnant.  I have had every test you can imagine and now my doctor just thinks I am crazy.  My weight started at about 148 and now it is at 174, that is in a 2 month time span.  I am exhausted and stressed out.  I exercise 3-4 times a week, stay active with 3 kids and a job.  Plus I have taken my calories to around 1700 a day.  Nothing is working.  I have went from a size 7 to a size 14.  I feel like my body is out of control.  My OB/GYN told me that is was just because I was getting older and my metabolism is slowing down.  I think she is wrong.  There is something wrong.  I do not hurt or feel bad in any way at all.  I am so uncomfortable in my own skin.  Now I am scheduled to see an endocrinologist in a month.  
Has anyone else found anything that this might be???
Leanne
I share your wonderment about how many women share these unique set of symptoms.  I have seen the endocrinologist on Tues.  He wanted to redo the thyroid test my GP did two weeks ago.  I am not impressed with this particular Dr. and will be leaving him after this visit.  He told me point blank that it was impossible to gain 14 lbs in a week in a half.  He remained steadfast when I told him I keep a weight and food log to prove it.  He just dismissed me.  Unfortunately, I have gotten a lot of "...welll your at that age...","you have to eat less, ( I eat under 800 calories a day)"  "you have to exercise more"  a lot of BS.  I just ignore it.  That is why I keep weight journal - I weigh myself every day at first thing in the am. And I keep a food journal.  They are invaluable when talking to doctors.

A little light in the storm though.  I had an endoscopy two days ago (found basically nothing but took biospies)  One of the nurses asked me if I was pregnant, which I a am used to now.  She looked at me.  Then looked at my chart and said "you've gained 10 pounds every month for four months.  That's not right!"  I told her about the endocrinologist that wasn't worth his salt.  She said   "Find another one. Something is not right."

When I was waking up, she stopped by on her way home.  She said, "I just cam by to tell you not to give up.  There is definitely wrong with wrong with you.  Don't stop until you find the right doctor."  What a gift that was.

I'll keep you up dated as I go along my journey as I hope  you will write about yours.
Wow! I'm kind of freaked out now, but I couldn't find anything on semi-rapid weight gain either.  I've always been tall and slender, an athlete, and eaten healthy.  I did gain weight when I got pregnant back to back and had to work to get it off, but other then that I usually don't have any problem whatsoever. Even then, once I put my mind to losing weight I had no problem. I've gained 15-20 pounds in the last 6 months. The first 10 pounds weren't so noticeable since I was really slendar in the summer, but since then I went back to my serious diet watching and exercising and in even in the past 3 weeks I gained the additional pounds. I've written down all my food/calories/fat and exercise and I'm consuming far less then I'm supposed to for my frame.  I don't get it. I am 45 and I thought maybe I've been starting menopause since my period started to be off by maybe 1 or 2 days here and there, but I'm not so sure since the last 3 weeks of unexplained weight gain.  With the first 10 lbs I went to my doctor. He checked my thyroid and nothing was wrong. I told him I've been having certain problems like bitter taste and he diagnosed me with acid reflux. I've changed my diet slightly and that part has gotten better, but now it seems like something I should keep in mind.  He wasn't worried about the weight gain because he said I'm still a couple sizes less then others my height, but I don't buy that if I've been the same size and eaten more and exercised less for years and suddenly have a problem. If I ever gained a 2-5 pounds I always would easily lose it again by watching what I ate and exercise for 3-7 days tops. Why the sudden change? I have looked things up and I'm going to have the doc test my adrenal gland or pituatory gland for tumors or cysts, plus somehow test my ovaries (i just had a clean GYN visit though), and for Cushing's disease.  I don't even know what specialist to go to at this point, but I know my body really well and something seems amiss.
Oh, I forgot to add to my last post which should be right above that I had cataracts at a young age too. 1st one at 40, other eye 45. I also recently discovered I have some lipoma cyst near by shoulder blade, but my surgeon who I've known or years and trust because I'm in medical said it's just fluid filled and he wants to just watch it before cutting me.  He doesn't suspect it to be anything dangerous, just fluid filled and he doesn't want to take it out unless it grows or becomes painful. So 2 other weird health maladies possibly connected??
We all know how you feel. And believe me there are probably thousands of out there. The calories decrease the belly increases.  I just had an endoscopy that was basically clear.  But I have developed a low wet cough.  It is great that you are in the med industry, maybe you'll come across some info that would help us all.  My GI has determined that it is not a GI problem.  That it is is fluid related and that would account for the weight swinging back and fourth.  I gained 5 lbs yesterday.    My husband and I have ruled out alien baby and real baby too.  I haven't had my adrenals tested yet that was my next text.  Let me know how it goes. I have another with my endocronologist.  Will keep every one apprised.
Like the rest of you I too have come to this site seeking answers. I  gained 20 lbs in a month and total over all about 70lbs.  This all started 3 years ago up till then I was within 5 lbs of the weight I was since age 16.  I am still seeking answers.  About 15+ years ago I started with the fatigue and went to an infectious disease specialist.  She told me I had chronic fatigue and to be thankful I could function at a normal pace.  I have a normal body temp of 99+ degrees.  Chronic sinus infections that last 4-5 months are also common with me.   I was told the fatigue was due to sleep apnea. Now I have a cpap but the fatigue has not gone away.  I have had multiple test all that say I am normal.  One doctor had me come in weekly saying it had to be diabetes.Two years later I  was finally diagnosed with Diabetes.  I think it is just another symptom of whatever is going on.  I still have not got it under control and I am on 3 different medications and I still have no relief.  If the temperature drops I think I am going to die, I shiver and cannot get warm.  My hair is falling out and my hand tingle like they are asleep several time a day.   I have had a lypoma the size of an orange removed and have several more growing on my body.  My belly is bigger then when I was pregnant and is hard not mushy like fat usually is.  I used to be able to walk alot now I get winded walking to my car in the parking lot.  I keep telling my husband they will find out what is wrong during my autopsy.  I feel for all of you that are experiencing the same things.  Hopefully you will have better sucess that I have had.
I am astounded that so many women have the same issues.  Equally shocking is the way doctors (if you are around my age -52) state it is your age, your metabolism and that we should eat less and exercise more.  I gained 30 lbs in 4 months.  I am 5'3 and always was around 115 and now I am 145.  When the gain began, I got the song and dance from doctors but I did cut down on my food calorie intake and I continued to exercise and do things as I had always done...not an exercise fanatic.  Weight continued to be added.  3 months ago I went in for a stress and had to have emergency triple bypass.  I had no health issues AT ALL and when I had the surgery, I was about 12 lbs overweight.  Since the surgery I have gained more. I quit smoking the day I had surgery so that is also a contributing factor I realize.  Then I had pluresy so a set back.  I realized that this had made me less active, however I am now back to doing all the things I used to do.  I east less and better but continued to gain a few pounds a week. Yep..had to buy clothes the next size up. most weight is in my tummy and the "muffin" area although I have gained all over, I don't look overweight except for those areas.  They find nothing wrong.  I have had many tests simply because of my surgery but they ran some for weight issues and found nothing.  I was put on water pills last week and lost 3 lbs. I worked hard my entire life keeping the same weight and am beyond depressed.  We all cannot be gaining weight for no reason and to gain so quickly!  I don't buy that it is my metabolism.  It wouldn't change so quickly (pre-surgery) and even post surgery.  The metabolism does slow in many people but not overnight.
Cosmedic surgery is something I am considering.  If I get lipo and a tummy tuck, then I know I can keep it off.  I have stopped gaining and am holding steady right now. I don't know what other choice I have but I am uncomfortable, depressed and frustrated.

Hope all of you are finding answers to your weight issues.

Hi True,

Before you get lippo read some the earlier posts on this forum.  I believe there was a woman who tried it and the fat just started to come back.  If you don't find it let me know and I'll see if I can find it from one of the many websites  I go to.

I had lippo on my stomach and hips  about 5 years ago.  I've had a flat tummy thanks to my surgeon up until 6 mos ago then it was attack of the big belly. I look like I am about 6 mos. pregnant.  I've gained about 50 lbs with this mystery condition.  I asked my doctor, "How can I have fat on my stomach when I had those fat cells taken out?"   The only reason I don't have lippo done now is that I have read in postings that the tummy comes back because water related.  I'd rather save the $$ for some other a face lift! LOL

I agree it is strange that there are so many women who have this and the medical community doesn't acknowledge it.   But that is how it was with Fibromyalgia.  At first they brush it off as other nothing or psychosomatic or just threw up their hands.  

I really know how you feel.  Feeling uncomfortable is the worst, isn't it.  I am determined to find a reason for this belly business.  So, if I find answers I post them here.

Elllis

Sounds like we are all in the same boat, and no one has a paddle.

For me it started in 2005.  I gained 15 pounds in a week.  This has happened 5 or 6 times over past 5 years.  Several other symptoms occurred simultaneously. Extreme bloating and distention after meals, nausea, fatigue, sleeplessness.  The bloating is to the point where I can hardly breath and I am too uncomfortable to sleep. I also suddenly had breakouts of ingrown hairs creating unsightly bumps on my neck, sides of face, abdomen and breasts.  I also had abdominal spasms and extreme constipation.  I was hardly eating at the time of the weight gain because I was so nauseous and uncomfortable all the time.

Thyroid tests are normal.  Nothing I do seems to help me lose weight.  Even prescription diet pills don't work anymore.  I am not menopausal or pre-menopause.  I worked really hard and lost 15 pounds a couple of years ago only to gain it back in 3 days while doing nothing different.  It seems pointless to try when failure is guaranteed by some mysterious force that causes my body to oppose any efforts made to control it. There is so much shame and humiliation when society and family is constantly passing judgment on me for something I can't control.

I am depressed and frustrated and don't want to leave the house.  Can't face one more patronizing doctor telling me to lose weight when I can't.  If I didn't fear God I would commit suicide.  I don't know how much more of this I can stand.  Is there any hope of finding an answer or am I condemned to a life of misery.

One change I have decided to make is to stop using artificial sweeteners and start buying organic produce and meats, gradually when I can afford them.  I already eat pretty healthy, make everything from scratch and don't by any pre made or pre fab foods.  I make my only vinagrettes but that has not been enough so I am taking it a step further.  I want to give up alcohol, but its the only thing that gets me to sleep most nights. I am wondering if all those chemicals I have been taking for years to avoid gaining weight are actually causing some or all of my symptoms. I read last weak that Splenda, which I have used daily for years, is made by chemically altering sugar.  The process removes the hydrogen atoms and replacing them with Chlorine.  Isnt that the carcinogenic chemical used to kill bacteria in swimming pools and to whiten my clothes if it doesn't destroy them first?

What is the cumulative affect of consuming chemicals that your body does not recognize?  What is the impact on kidney, liver, and other organs.  Since your body can't process these chemicals, where do they go and why does it affect some people and not others?  

Does anyone have some answers?
I have been having the same problem for some time now. I recenty went to the doctors and he is going to run some test.  One thing he told me about was something called polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)  after reading about it, it seems like that is why i may have.  Hopefully, the test will tell me for sure.
my daughter had the same symptoms.   an ultrasound revealed she had a large ovarian cyst and had to have surgery.
I had a large Ovarian cyst in college.  Boy, it was so painful.  I talked my doctor out of surgery,  But on the condition I stay in the hospital until it burst or five days past.  Luckily on the fourth day it burst.   But it is something I always check for if I am having ab pain.  Hope your daughter feels better soon.

Ellis
I am so happy that I found this forum!!!

I'm 28 and for most of my life I have been a slender girl.  I have worn the same pairs of pants for the last five years.  Since college (minus a break up and tonsil surgery recover) I have weighed 115-120.  In February I joined a gym with my boyfriend.  I go 2-4 times a week, and am very active.  I'm also a vegetarian and eat pretty healthy.  I drink occasionally.  Nothing besides adding working out to my routine has changed in my life in the past three months.  

When I joined the gym I weighed in my 115-120 rate, depending on the day and scale.  Yesterday at the gym, I weighed myself preworkout.  138.4  I have never weighed this much in my life.  And all of the weight is in my belly.  I've had to buy new clothes, and now even those clothes are tight.  I now stay on the treadmill twice as long and do twice as many weight machines as I did when I started the gym.  I have cut my portions back considerably, and yet I gain.  It seems like no matter what I do, I gain weight.  I'm miserable.  My wrists and legs look the same (minus a little toning from the gym) but everyday I work hard to hide my belly.  I am not pregnant as I've had regular periods the past two months, and am currently on it now.

My boyfriend has been supportive and says he thinks I'm gorgeous, but has been relatively mum on the weight gain.  When I bring it up he usually says that I was too skinny before and that this is better now.  Don't think it hit him till last night when he told me that if he just looked at my arms or legs he'd guess I weighed 118.  When I told him it was 138 he was shocked!  

I really don't know what to do next.  or how to stop this weight gain.  Its getting me depressed though.  and I hate feeling this way.  
i'm so glad i found this website though if it does any good when i go to my primary and tell them all the symptoms that i'm having i thought i was going nuts, but i see that i'm not i have gained 20 lbs in two weeks before that i had maintained my weight even though i'm a big person . with this weight gain i have all these myriad symptoms from my right foot swelling up to the food sticking in my throat or coming back up after i eat, too short of breath and feeling like i'm pregnant and gassy and just a host of other stuff cold then hot my hair is lackluster even after washing which it never was like that.no libido whatsoever have not had a period since nov and the list goes on and on  thank you for this blog on this website it gives me hope that i can convince a doctor that i'm not crazy that i can weigh 351 in the morning and shoot up to 362 in the afternoon and i'm also so tired and i get 8-9 hours of sleep i'm turning 50 in october and i'm just beside myself because i can't fit in to my clothes and my fiancee is getting frustrated with a lack in our sex life...............................
Hi I watch this forum a lot.  It helps me know I am not the only one that has this mysterious syndrome.  I've been dealing with it since Jan.

I am 47 - not pre or post -menopausal.  I have always weighed 125 as an adult. It never varied.  As of today a weight 170.1.  I eat under 800 cal per day.  I gain averaged out about 10 a month.  But is is more erratic like 12lbs in a week and a half loose 2lbs the next day.

I keep a weight journal and a food journal.  I weigh myself every AM before I eat.  And I wright down what eat.  I have found this is enormously helpful in dealing with doctors, who are ready to dismiss my symptoms.

I had an in an instant where I weighed 168 in the AM and 171 at the doctors office.  My endocrinologist said "that's impossible.  You must have a bad scale." Even my GP has a bad scale....hmmm

Has your Dr. checked your Thyroid?  Some your symptoms seem like they fit thyroid.  I  had mine checked and it was in need of attention.

My heart goes out to you.  Not fitting into your clothes is the worst.  And as for feeling romantic, that's wow that's a hard one. It hard for me.  I look like I am 6 moths pregnant.  People ask me all the time when is the baby due (ouch).  I talk to my partner. So he knows he knows I don't feel great about my body.  And, that helps a lot.
went to my gyno yesterday and told him all of my symptoms and i got the customary blow off and was told to make a appointment with my primary,wow what is a gyno there for but to deal with womens health and well being issues.And are all of the scalles inthis blog group bad come on these doctor's just don't know and instead of them looking stupid they have to make us look like we are crazy, so far today i have had 32 oz of water 2 slices of lunchmeat, a ice cream cone beacuse it was hot out today and a bottle of vitamin water and i'm starting to feel the bloaty feeling and like i'm puffing up. yesterday at the doctor's i weighed 362 this morning on my scale i was 352 aggggh this is driving me nuts
yes i have had a battery of tests and i am on 25 mg of synthroid so i do have a thyroid problem but the medicine should have helped and i keep getting worse with these symptoms it seem like a new one every week
II too have had the battery to tests and hypo-thyroidism.  My understanding from my doc. is they'll start you out at 25mg and see where your numbers go.  If the thyroid numbers aren't where they want them they up the dose.  It takes a couple of months to figure it out the right dose for you.  Hang in there.  When I got on the right dose of synthroid, I felt much better.  I had a lot less fatiique.  It is suppose to help lose the some of the weight....after six months of synthroid, I still look 6 mos pregnant.

Ellis
Has any one else experienced an ongoing low grade fever?

Elllis
Hello again all,

I managed to get my weight to steady for one week, dropped three pounds, and now I've gained 6.  I am also now nausea a lot!  My stomach is just not mine anymore.  I have had regular periods and have taken many pregnancy tests; I know I'm not pregnant, but I can't seem to shake these feelings.  Cramping, bloating, weight gain, etc.  A coworker wondered about me having a parasite, did a little online research and there are some parasites that, esp when in stressed people, that can cause weight gain, fatigue, nervousness, nausea, diareha or different bathroom habits.  Sounds like me, I searched for herbal remedies, and am now trying an intesinal cleanse that someone on another board recommended.  I'm reluctant to go to the doc because I don't feel like going through the battery of tests, and nearly everyone I talk to seems to not understand the gravity of my symptoms.  

I'll keep you all posted to my results with the clense.  Has anyone else done something like this?  
Just a quick update.  I have been doing the clense thing for a little while now.  My weight has steadied.  However, if I do the clense in the morning (supposed to be on an empty stomach) I can definitely notice a difference.  More bloated and "icky" feeling.  Yesterday I forgot, and barely fit into a pair of jeans that I bought about a month ago!  Going to keep sticking with it and hope it helps.  Anyone else having any luck with doctor's or new things they are trying?
My daughter gained over $100lbs in 6 months following removal of her gall bladder. She was 21. Now 5 years later she is no better, in fact her joints hurt constantly, she has gastro intestinal problems and has developed severe depression, she has skin problems, allergies, lack of focus, short term memory loss, and takes over a dozen medications. Two months ago she was awarded disability ... she has been unable to work for 5 years.. I read everything posted and am going to forward this site to her. Sadly no one has a cure, ..my daughter is now working with a new group of doctors who will take medicaid...to my suprise this time there seems to be a more joined approach and the test results are being cross referenced...one doctor was very concerned about her taking the contraceptive pill, and advised her to get an IUD,even though she has never had a child... he does not want her to risk a pregnancy but says the hormones in the contraceptive are making her condition worse. He is also reviewing the entire file from all of the specialists going back 5 years and asking a lot of questions. this could be good news, if so, we will post any findings to share with you all.
How is the cleanse going?  Do you notice a difference after so many weeks.  I have now moved on to alternative care ie: Dr.of Orientlal Med and Acupuncture.  I really hope this helps. I am still seeing an endocrinologist in late August - one last attempt at western med.  

I can't look at myself in the mirror anymore.   I don't think I can go another person asking when my baby is due!

Let me know how your doing on your cleanse.
OK, the last test came in..my cortisol numbers are "normal."  I am so depressed and frustrated.

Has anyone in this forum EVER found something found a cure, something that helped?  I know we all use this forum when we are first scared and relieved to find out that we are not the only ones.  But I rarely see and feed back about what is working.

Ellis
The clense went okay.  I felt like bloated and gas-y, my weight "stabalized" as I weight 140 every morning (although, my weight can fluctuate still during the day, but I try to ignore it and focus on one weight at consistent times of the day).  I have not lost any weight, but I seem to have stopped gaining. I have though had to recently purchase two pairs of size 8 jeans, which considering in March I wore a 2, seems pretty dramatic to me.  I've found that the clense helps me to digest more normally.  Prior to it, after lunch at work, I'd be the one who seemed uncomfortable with tighter clothes, and now i feel less bloated and my stomach is less distended feeling after eating.  I took the clense religiously for the first two weeks, and I admit now that I haven't been doing as good of a job, as my stomach's been going through some other issues - see below.  Hope to get back on it routinely once everything else is sorted out.

I still feel lost on it all.  Went to the urgent care last night, stomach pains had me worried that I might have an ulcer (I have pretty severe acid reflux), am now on maalox and nexium and can pretty much only eat plain noodles or milk shakes.  fun!  one would think cutting back to nearly one meal a day would help my weight, but its not.  

Still waiting it out...

Has anyone else had any luck with some answers.  
WOW! Congratulations on the  size 8!  Wooo Hooo!  I can't wait until I can weigh my usual size 4, don't ask what I'm it is too embarrassing.  I would love to fit into an 8.

I'm so glad the cleansed worked  for you.  Tell me about it.   Was it over the counter or did you have a doc watching you?  

Sorry you had a bad trip to urgent care.  I know your problem well also.
I have pretty bad GERD too.  My wonderful diet is only grits and cereal.  That's really embarrassing to admit. You'd think we would be rail thin, wouldn't you? Do y think if we ate as much as we could it would reverse it and we would loose weight?

I met with a Doc of Oriental Med. She suggest that I use herbs and juices to detox.  I figure that can't hurt. So I juicing my way through some slow detox.  I got a big lecture from her about eating under 800 cal a day.  

As far as western meds.  I've all the tests done twice. Now I am going to have a CT of my head to check for tumor on either adrenal gland or pituitary gland.

Today was a hard day for me as far as my weight and exhaustion.  Your story of success REALLY brightened my day and gave me a little hope.  Thanks for writing back

Ellis
The detox that I used I found at Whole Foods.  I was looking online and someone suggested Paragone. (http://www.renewlife.com/paragone.html) I went to the store and found it, but it was about $30 a box, and I wasn't sure if I should spend that much money on something that might not work.  So I looked around the aisle a little and found Yerba Prima Great Plains Bentonite Detox.  I took it every two hours that first day like the bottle said, and then once a day in the morning for about two weeks.  It definitely cures any upset stomach on the spot, and defintiely helped me feel less crummy about myself.  I also have stopped gaining weight - for now.  If you do try this one, I would definetly recommend drinking A LOT of water through out the day while you are taking it.  (it can "back up up" if you don't).  It doesn't taste wierd at all.  Now when I take it, I take it with just a splash of water or juice in the morning.  

Once I get my ulcer thing situation, I am going to go back to taking this or the paragone on a regular basis to see if I can start losing some.  Its very difficult now, that with my ulcer I can't work out or take the clense (trying to keep my stomach as acid free and on doctor's regime for ulcer as possible).  Even though I'm down to one meal a day, and that runs through me quickly, I still haven't lost a pound.  But I'm trying to hang in there.

Hope this helps.  
Too wierd...
I am getting extremely depressed about the slow...steady weight gain...averaging 1-2 lbs/week. I am 40 years old and always averaged a weight of 125. I quit smoking and gained a little averaging 130. I work out...weights and cardio 3x week for 60-90 minutes. I even ran my first 5k in May. About 6 weeks ago, I started to notice that my muffin top was flabbier than usual...well it was because i had jumped to 137. So...I got right on a diet...cutting out fatty foods, decreasing my calories etc. A couple of weeks later? 140...what???? So...i went on a serious diet...1200 calories a day (documented) and increased my cardio to 6 days per week. 3 weeks later...i was sure I would step on the scale and see a difference...except, I thought it would be less not more...yeah...144.  I have no explaination. It is all in my mid section. My only other "symptoms" are excessive gas and much firmer bowels (maybe diet related?), slight fatigue and some abdominal pain that resemble cramps. I mentioned the weight gain to my doctor and he said it wasn't bad...only a few pounds.
Whatever...I know my body and I don't feel right. I have exercised in the past without dieting and been able to lose weight easily. I am tired of hearing..."muscle weighs more than fat", "you're getting older"..."pre-menopause"..."your metabolism slows down when you hit 40".
Sorry...just babbling out of frustration and after reading all of the posts, I have a sense of belonging here! Thanx for listening...I am heading to the doctor in 2 weeks. A few years back I had similar symptoms w/o weight gain and they found a 2.5 cm partial-complex cyst...I had to go on high doses of hormones to dissolve it. Who knows...maybe the same kind of thing.
PS...don't give up ladies...you know your body best. My guess is, you all came to this site for a reason...you googled, "unexplained/sudden weight gain"...We are all here looking for help, support and answers...let's help each other out.
~Muffintop
Well, welcome.  Although it is a dubious honor to be part of this club. I'm about your age.  I've never had anything like this before. I thought my weight plateaued but it is on the move again - gained 5 lbs two days ago lost 2lbs today...that 3 lbs I don't need.  That is the second week of slow gain.  

Your bowel stuff seems like it is diet related.  Make sure you're not dehydrating yourself. Drink lots of h2o.   I've used an herb slippery elm before to keep bowel movements moving - just when I need it, not as an every day thing.  Fennel is one of the best herbs out there.  It will calm your stomach and will take care of your gas.  It comes in many forms, cap's, loose for tea, in tea bags, fresh (yummy in salads) ...all can be found at a "Whole Foods" kinds of place.

Nice that you track your calories.My advice is track  as much as you can.  I track my food intake at night and my weight every am.  It is a very good way to get past the your metabolism is slowing down, peri-menopause, eat too much, exercise more.  I found that especially with endocrinologists, the more "numbers and charts" I could show him,  the more they would listen to me.

I ended up gaining about 10 lbs. a mos. But the weight varied wildly.  Like Wed I gained 4 pounds, yesterday I lost two and today I gained one more - but that is still 3lbs gained. The TOTAL number of weight gained a month is good to have.  My Dr's seemed to *****-up their ears, when I told them that.

Hope I was of some help.  Good Luck

Ellis
Thanks for the info on your cleanse.  Sorry to hear that your ulcer is acting up.  I'm going to try a cleasnse.  I have my next endocrinologist appt in late Sept.  I think they are going to do a CT scan of my pituitary gland.  So in the meantime, I'll cleanse.

I'll send you healthy thoughts!

Ellis
I gained alot of weight through menopause, about 30 pounds.  Previously it had been easy to drop weight, you know, skip a meal, etc.  But all of a sudden that didn't happen.  I finally started on a treadmill and in one year, I lost about 30 pounds.  But then I got stuck, about 10 pounds above my goal.  Five years passed and I found out I have Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism and my endocrinologist began working with me to get me in balance.  I did really well and then hurt my back about a year later.  I was flat on my back for about a month and contrary to my past history, weight just fell off me, even though I was eating.  It's been 5 years since then and my thyroid has maintained a good number and with careful eating habits and some exercise, mostly cardio, I have maintained my weight at 119.  About a month ago I started to gain weight, Nothing has changed and it's going up at a rate of about a pound a week.  Seems like it's all in my middle, as though everything I eat or drink just stops there.  No pain.  Just look like I'm pregnant (which I'm obviously not).  My endo says my thyroid is good (.70) and yet all of a sudden I'm gaining weight and feeling sluggish and blah.  I'm glad to see so many suggestions for possible reasons and plan to make an appointment with my gyno. right away to get checked for ovarian cancer or other female issues that could be a cause.  Otherwise, I'm at a loss.  I just had bloodwork done and everything else is perfect.  I appreciate what everyone here is going through and hope someone tells us they have a solution to this problem.  erm973
I'm glad I found this forum, it's the closest to any I've found.  I started gaining weight a few months ago, and thus far have gained 20lbs.  Last year at this time I was a size 4, now, I'm wearing maternity clothes because I cannot wear anything tight around my waist.  

52, 5'7", I also got the metabolism slowing down from my docs (ob-gyn and family practitioner), but 20 lbs in a matter of months?  I've gone through menopause - about 8 years ago.  I became thinner after that...not fat and pregnant looking.  Whatever it is pushes against my ribs, as well as other things on the inside and my belly area hurts all of the time.  I was convinced I had a tumor or cancer for such a long time - before I finally got insurance and was able to start checking things.

What concerns me most is that there are a lot of posts on here but not many possible solutions as to what is going on with us.
Hi there, just to update you - I had the Mirena coil taken out then I had a small operation (not a hysterectomy) but did have the lining of the womb removed last October.  After the coil was taken out, I dropped two clothes sizes back to normal in 6 weeks.  I also felt better, not so tired and tearful.  I have not had any bleeding since, although my weight does fluctuate up and down and my breasts swell up a lot which isn't very pleasant.  I think it's hormones!!!  I am going to book an appointment for colonic irrigation this week because I suffer from IBS, yet find that after one session of this I am usually ok for nearly a year.  I have been wondering about my liver and kidney's because when I went on holiday a few months ago and had rather too much wine to drink one day, I didn't need to go to the toilet even once and it was quite frightening when I realised so I started drinking gallons and gallons of water the next day and all returned to normal.  Anyway - good luck to you all - I guess some of these awful things are to do with being a woman - we get all the luck!!!!!!
Hello Ladies,

This is just a suggestion and not medical advice, research what is right for you.  

I have been reading through these posts and just want to suggest to all the need to rule out ovarian cancer.  CA-125 blood test is a tumor marker and not a gene test as an earlier post suggested.  A level over normal (35) does not automatically mean that you have cancer, but could also mean endometriosis as well as some other conditions.  This blood test plus an ultrasound will allow the majority of you to rule out this deadly condition.  Check into local clinics for those that don't have insurance.  Alot of them will do sliding scales if you tell them that you don't have money.  

Please be careful with cleanses as well as colonics!  Whole foods and health markets do not always carry healthy products and you still have to be careful.  Some of these cleanses are made using very harsh and dangerous herbs (many herbs are estrogenic and will actually make your estrogen levels rise even more with increased weight gain as a result, as well as risk for breast and ovarian cancer increased)....not surprised at the earlier post of possible ulcers and GERD.  They are not supposed to be used frequently.  Colonics can be dangerous as some of the facilities are unclean and can implant deadly bacteria inside your colon.  Also, when water is flushed up into the colon, it creates tiny tears in the rectum and this can also cause bacteria to spread inside and possibly create fissures and abscesses.  Some people have success with these types of cleanses but be cautious.  I have known people to develop liver disease from the water going up into the wrong direction and too quickly.  The best thing to do is to juice....mostly veggies as fruit can cause too much yeast in the body.  Trays of wheat grass are available and for those that have $350 to spend, the VRT (VERT) juicer by Omega is awesome!!  It does wheatgrass and juices without oxidizing the juice.  Also look into cell salts for balance.  My fav online store is vitacost.com....super inexpensive (Hyland's is a great brand).  Cell salts work for many but there are some that don't feel a difference.  Please don't jump into fad diets....it will only throw your body's balance off worse.  Look into a possibility of your diet containing too many estrogenic foods like soy etc. which will increase bloating.  

Good luck, god bless, and hang in there.....
Another suggestion to to get off of dairy......many dairy products still have too many hormones.  Some brands state that they are hormone free, yet the feed that is given to the cows contain soy and chemicals that throw off a woman's hormone level.  It could be that aside from thyroid changes, most of what is being experienced here could have something to do with estrogen levels which become more apparent in most women after 40....
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:wr461clbfIQJ:www.epigee.org/menopause/weight_gain.html+estrogen+and+weight+gain&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

great article, explains the role that hormones play in weight gain mostly around the abdomen and the reason for it......

if cutting and pasting this won't work the article is found by google: menopause and weight gain
I finally went towards alternative medicine too.  I'm from So Cal so it wasn't that much of jump!  I do believe in hydro-colonic therapy.  But, I do a lot of research before I go to a practitioner. I've never had a problem.   (If you are interested you can send me a message.  I don't want to bore every one with the specifics - in fact anyone can message me if they have questions).  But, colonics are not for everyone.

In addition the weight gain, just feel puffy - swollen. So I take the herb Tumeric (often found in East Indian cooking) and the homeopathic remedy Arnica. Both available at Whole Foods. Those two remedies have been wonderful. I got a juicer last week..so we'll see how that goes.

Jenbubbs, is right ultimately we all have to research what is best for our own bodies.  Hope I made some suggestions that might help.

Ellis
Can you tell me more about cell salts?  I'll look it up of course,  but would love to know what it is and what your opinion is.  I totally agree with you vitacost.com is great.

To anyone looking for a juicer and can't spend $350 on one the Jack LaLane model is suppose to be great and is around $100.   My Doc. uses that one.  I got one through ebates.com that retails for $120 for about $40.

Ellis
Hi Ellis,

I know a lot of people that love the Jack LaLane juicer and it is so affordable.  I love turmeric too....it does really help the bloating.  Mountain Rose Herbs is my favorite online store for bulk herbs and descriptions.....most of their products are certified organic.  mountainroseherbs.com

Their are 12 basic cell salts that provide essential minerals to the body to bring it into balance so that nutrients may be absorbed better.  These salts are sublingual and very easy to take.  I have read many reviews from people taking these salts (reviews on vitacost too) that say that they have taken away pain from headaches to backaches to making hair and nails grow to bringing the elasticity back into the skin as well as a sleep aid and anxiety reducer.  Hyland's website is great for information and has cross references for conditions and directions for which salts to take.

I just started taking mine and I feel a difference.  I have been experiencing depression and it is helping me.  I don't like taking drugs.  I take the combo of all 12 called Bioplasma and the phospates called Biochemic Phosphates.  Plus I've added #'s 1, 7, 9, and 12 for skin, hair, nails, water retention, etc.  There are no side effects that I can find because they are very gentle.  One thing that I found on the internet that is not on the bottle is to pour the little caps out into the bottle cap instead of your hands so not to contaminate the bottle by putting any back that you over pour.....oops.  Also, I have read that coffee will tend to antidote the effects but not decaf.

Anyway, hope this stuff helps and please let me know if I can possibly help....I am in the process of ordering vitamin D and Krill Oil from vitacost because I have read that it is essential to take, so we'll see how that goes. :)

God Bless!
oops, forgot to add......cell salts are in a lactose base so If you are intolerant there is another method through liquid but I don't know who sells it.  I am somewhat intolerant but it is such a small amount that I don't feel a problem....
I would check for sleep apnea, if I had sudden weight gain.  My mom (age 68) recently got tested, had it, got a DPAP mask, and is managing to lose weight for the first time in 25 years.  she's down from 217 to 200, via calorie counting and exercise.  The thing is, she's been *really trying* at calorie counting and exercising for decades; it's only worked now that she has the DPAP mask.

here's my understanding of the vicious circle:  you develop sleep apnea (somehow; perhaps due to a little weight gain).  that screws up your sleep.  having screwed up sleep messes up your hormones.  messed up hormones make you eat more and worse, and causes you to gain more weight even if you *don't* eat more and worse.  the weight gain makes the sleep apnea worse.  which screws up your sleep more, which screws up your hormones more .  .  .

I do not have medical training; I just like to piece things together.
I'm sure that it is also important to test for whatever your doctor recommends, as well as for ovarian cancer.
oh, btw, although snoring is a typical symtom of sleep apnea, not everyone with sleep apnea snores.  and, you can develop sleep apnea *even if you aren't overweight*  -  but once you get it, it can certainly cause you to gain weight.
I just read all the comments and can relate to most of it.  I'm 26, I've gained a ton of weight, the doctors tell me to exercise more and eat less. Blood tests, etc...all normal.  I don't feel right, and I don't like complaining about not feeling right. I can't stand to look at myself in the mirror, my uniform for work doesn't fit anymore, but I can only get a new uniform once a year. I've recently had problems w/ my period, once I went 48 days w/o one, and the next I went 81 days w/o one and only started after taking progesterone. I have frequent constipation (which I don't like to talk about) so I've upped my fiber intake, have lower back pain, fatigue, weakness, etc.  Most of the diagnosis' that were mentioned, I looked up, and the one that worried me the most was ovarian cancer. I of course don't fit ALL of the symptoms, and the symptoms could be something other than that, but I'm scared to even mention it to my doc because I'm sure they will brush me off.  I've already had headaches for 10 years and my docs won't talk to me about them anymore cause they can't find out why I have them.  If anyone finds a solid answer to the swelling/weight gain, or knows how I can approach getting tested for ovarian cancer for piece of mind, PLEASE let me know....thanks
Hey Merida,

Boy!  I can relate to not wanting to look at yourself in the mirror.  I was a size 4 and within 6 mos I'm a size 14.  I really can look at my closet and truthfully say, "I have nothing to wear!"  

But any way...

It sounds like you've got a lot of stuff going on.  I know that sometimes getting to the doctor is half the battle. And asking for what you want from them is really difficult. But, you've had that body for 26 years.  YOU know when something is wrong with your body.  You are the expert of your body.

It sounds like you need new doctors.  I am not trying to be harsh, but if your doctors, dismiss your symptoms, like your headaches, that is not acceptable medical care for you or for anyone.

You deserve to have a discussion about your symptoms. You deserve to be heard by your doctors.  You deserve to have your questions answered. You deserve to see all your lab reports and discuss them and, to ask for additional testing.

I don't think there is one women on this forum, who hasn't had to deal with dismissive doctors, or feels like the doctors thinks your crazy or feel crazy themselves.  This whatever "it" is, is real.  I was astounded when I looked back to the beginning of this forum. It goes back to 2007.  We can't all be crazy with the exact same symptoms.

If you are worried about ovarian cancer then you have to tell the doctor what you want. I know that is HUGE.  Bring a list of your symptoms you are having to show them.. I like to write things down when I am going for an appt, especially if I am going to ask the doctor for another test.  You know when I get in with the doctor, I forget things that might be important and the doctors seem to get a better picture of what is going.

Tell them you want to make sure you don't have ovarian cancer, even if they do the test  just to ease your mind. You deserve that.

Since this reply is on the long side, I had migraines for over 10 years like you. My neurologist (I've through several)  have told me over and over. They don't know why or even how bad migraines begin.  The important thing for you is that the pain stops.  You definitely deserve that.

if you want to look at feedback from patients who have gone to your current doctors or to look for a new doctor  www.vitals.com.  I found it very helpful.  and it's free.

Merida - you are not crazy.  You deserve to be heard and believed.  We all do.  

I hope I said something in that long reply that resonated with you.  As I like to say, use what you can and leave the rest.

Definitely send me a message or post one here so we know how you are doing.

Ellis

I have had this excessive bloating like I am pregnant and rapid weight gain for no reason three times in my life.  The first time I gained 13 pounds due to ovarian cysts and when they were removed lost the weight.  The second time I gained 16 pounds due to abdominal hernia and when it was fixed, lost the weight.  This time at age 50, I have gained 20 pounds for no reason.  2 1/2 years of doctor and test after test.  The final result was when I went to a PELVIC SPECIALIST.  He told me in 5 minutes what my problem was.......uterine prolapse, bladder prolapse and rectal prolapse.  I hope this is the cause of my weight gain, but he def said that I am holding my fluids and my stools.  I will be having surgery soon.  Hope this fixes the problem.  I feel like I am 9 months pregnant!
I am 42 and 7-8 months preggo. NOT! I have everything from size 6-14 in my closet. I mostly have maintained a sz10 for many years.  The last couple of months my stomach just exploded! Like many of you said, I get asked when I am due.  I don't want to leave the house.  Admitting to you the most embarrassing - I bought a size 16W cargo pants today, just to get around my waist, I could use the rest of the material for a wind sail on sail boat!

Besides finding the best physicians - remind them of HIPPA rules and regulations, you have every right to see them all.  They have all the info from all of your hospitalization/doctos/perscriptions.  They may only have immediate access to your hospital stay but DEMAND while you are viewing the charts for them to explain every test and what they are looking for.  Many will try to keep this information private. It is NOT their right. It is yours.  Ask for explanations of the test they want to run and why and make them prove it.

Tired of people wanting to make a buck for almost zero work and jumping to conclusions.

Well, now that is off my chest, best of luck and love to everyone!
Hi M,

Do a bit of praying for guidance towards finding a compassionate Dr. :)

CA-125 Blood Test and Transvaginal and Abdominal Ultrasound to start for Ovarian cancer testing.  (MRI and CT scan can be done as well but they are expensive)

Good Luck!! :)
Hi ALL,

I thought that I would share my diagnosis with everyone.  I there aren't many comments on diagnosis on this forum.

I was diagnosed with an acute thyroid attack.  The Dr.  said that the belly weight was part of it.  I was diagnosed with inflammatory disease.  Put the two together and wa-la I look 6 months pregant

I've had every test you can imagine,ultra sound internal and external, 2 chest x-rays, 2 endoscopies,  24 urinalysis, and countless other blood tests. Most Dr's through there hands up.

I found a GREAT  endocrinologist who looked at me as a whole person, listened to me and didn't think I was crazy or making things up.

I have a piece of advice that helped me.  Keep a weight and food journal.  The weight journal helped her see how erratic my weight gain has been.  The weight journal is really important.

So I'm treating my thyroid disorder and a few pounds came off.  She put me on a strict diet of no carbs or gulten.  And a whole bunch of other thing were ruled out.

She said the fat is not going to fall off, I'm going to have to work it off.  That's fine with me.  My old size 4 is in my sites.

Ladies, know that there are answers.

with hope and love,

Ellis

I am so glad i found this site.. i have read all of your alls post.. amazing.. never thought of my self or looked at my self they way you are all doing.. .. My weight gain has been going on for 20 years now.. i have been on every diet out there.. i would lose maybe 20 lbs then the following month i gain it back and more... after my son was born about 20 years ago... i gained tons of weight.. before that i only weight about 112 lbs.. i only stand 4ft 11... as of Thursday.. i now weight 207.. way to big for my frame.. but i can not lose it.. after my son was born.. i kept complaining  about being tired and gaining weight to the military doctors ... so they checked my thyroid.. and it was hypo.. up to this day.. they still have not figured out how much sythorid i should take i went from .25mg to now 250mg.. still not right... i know have dietaries.. because of my weight... i have not had my period in two months... so i thought i might be pregnant.. after two blood test.. i am not... plus i got my tubes tied when my son was born.. so my ob/gyn ran a few test on my.. since i am 46 she thought i might be going thru the change.. old and behold i am far from it.. she said my thyroid and sugar levels or way off.. .. but i have been taking my meds faithful.. so now she is sending me to an endocrinologist... after reading all the post on this blog.. i now know what to ask.. after my son was born.. and i found out i had a thyroid problem.. they said it can be passed down.. so i went and ask questions to all my family members.. no one has a thyroid problem.. but to be on the safe side i had my children checked.. they do not have the problem.. all my weight gain is in my belly.. i hate it.. i am basically home person  .. i do not go any were.. except to the in-laws.. i hate the way i look.. i am the only over weight person in my family.. except for my grandmother who is 90... so here i go on the same journey as the rest of you ladies.. i hope i can find some good results.. also just wanted you all to know.. you might get a kick out of it.. or be very mad... my daughter is a pharmacist.. she and i was talking one day.. she told me.. that a person going into pharmacy school has to have a 4.0 grade point average.. and a person going into medical school can enter with a 2.0 grade point average.. i was shocked by this slandered.. so if you do not feel right... or know something is wrong with your body.. let the doctors know.. they do not know all.. just think of that grade point average.. lol  
Hi everybody,

I think i might be in the same postion as you all... But its harder on me b/c iam only 14 and some my family and friends think iam pregant but iam not iam still a virgin (up until iam married) and i havent even kissed a boy yet(i know so lame right).My belly is hard as a rock and i have a in belly button but the top of it sticks out and it feels so nasty.I cry everyday b/c of the way i look I HATE IT !!!!!! and sometimes when i walk down the street i feel like people are judgeing me....So if any of you have any advice to help me talk to my mom about this, my ears are open..
r0nica1203
Let me say first,  you are NOT lame, you are very BRAVE for seeking answers.  Young or old all of us know the feelings you are having about feeling yucky inside and out; having people look at you twice and that kind of thing.  I can tell it is really hurting you.  The ladies of this forum have felt that hurt.  So we really understand.

Because you are a minor your health care is up to your parent(s) or legal guardian.  You mentioned your mom, so I am assuming she is the one to talk to. Can you ask your mom to take you to the Dr. or a clinic?  I know it might be scary, but if you and she could go to a Dr. you might be able find out what IS going on with your tummy.   It would be a good way to ease her mind too.

This forum is a good place to vent your frustrations and talk about how much it hurts.  

Let us know how your are doing.  We are here to hear you.

Ellis

I have been experience weight gain over the past 2 weeks, and nothing in my diet or exercise program has changed, in fact if anything I started working out more.  I started reading the posts and came across one that said get tested for Cushing's Syndrome, so I looked it up, "ushing’s syndrome is a hormonal disorder caused by prolonged exposure of the body’s tissues to high levels of the hormone cortisol" (http://endocrine.niddk.nih.gov/pubs/cushings/cushings.htm).  I thought well is it possible that the monster energy drinks I consume daily cause or have cortisol in them, so I looked that up and found that high caffeine use increases the production of Cortisol, 1 can of monster has 5000 mg of energy blend in it, just a thought.
I am a 61 year old female that had a total hysterectomy at age 38.  I have never been the same.  Once I turned 50, I started having a problem with weight gain.  In the last 3 years, I have put on at least 50 pounds, much of which is in my stomach.  I look like I'm 5 months pregnant, am losing my hair, have dry skin and small red patches appearing on my skin in various areas.  Nothing helps to get rid of them.  I feel fatigued, but can't sleep at night.  I'm getting very depressed and feel hopeless, even though I'm on an anti depressant.
Redlinda
Im 26yrs old. So i am getting shortness of breathe dunno what that is from but like couple months ago i was fine and i know im not Preggos I have also put on 15lbs i have done everything the same. I just look so fat and i have no idea whats wrong with me i wont know til Nov 19th.... Grrr does anyone else know?
About 9 weeks ago I started to experience a lot of the same symptoms, only I have been having a lot of pain on my right side and lower stomach area. So far I've gained 27.5 pounds as of today, and the doctors have pretty much given up! I exercise about 5 days a week, eat healthy and nothing helps. They've tested everything from my gal bladder to my liver and even making sure I wasn't pregnant. I'm only 21 years old and an active member of the military, not only am I worried about my health but my job as well. The doctor suggested that I get a personnel trainer, because all the cardio I'm doing might be making me gain weight only in my mid section? yeah right. I went from having a 26 inch waist and 32 in hip with a normal C cup size...two months later my waist is 31 my hips are almost to 40 and my cup size is almost a DDD! I have no idea where to go from here and no except my husband to listen..
I am post menapausal (54) and have fought the "overweight gene" all of my life.  However, most of my adult life I have watched my diet and exercised.  I avoid white and fried foods, and eat very few sweets.  I exercise at least 3 times a week, including playing on 2 soccer teams.  

However, in the past 2 months, I have gained about 12 pounds (from 130 to 142) and my "fat clothes" barely fit me.  I went for a physical, and told my (female) doctor about my symtoms.  Of course, at first I got the traditional answers - hormones, menopause, age, etc.  My bloodwork was normal...thyroid, sugar, cholestoral, etc. It wasn't until I started getting upset that she agreed to send me for a pelvic ultrasound.  I was CONVINCED that there was something there that was causing my problems.  The test was very thorough (external as well as internal) but there was no sign of any problem!  Strange as it sounds I was devastated!  What now?

Like someone said earlier in this thread, there are more questions than
Hello Everyone,

I am also a member of the freaky weight gain club.  I too, have been for blood work, ultrasounds, colonoscopy, and an endoscopyl.  The only deficiency that was found was a minimal Vitamin D deficiency.  My next trip is for my gallbladder.

I've gained about 20 lbs in three months.  I work out 5-6 days a week.  I actually run an average of 100 miles a month.  Doesn't seem to help.  I also have the belly fat, fatigue, aches and pains, pain up under rib cage on left side, I can feel the strange pain when I'm running.  Etc., etc.

I've been gettin the all your tests are normal, and the looks of disbelief when I tell the Drs. how much I workout and what I eat.  So, I can certainly sympathise with every one of you that have posted on this site.

I keep trying, I also feel depressed and upset about my weight.  I've gone up double in size due to my waist.  I have a sympathetic boyfriend, but that doesn't make me feel any better about mysef.  

Like everyone else, the weight just appeared out of nowhere.  During the month of July, I was running and it was during the heat wave.. the weight started out at two lbs. a day.  When I got to ten pounds, I started going to Drs.  I've been going ever since.  I've had my thyroid checked.  I had the CA 125.  Both Normal.  Like I said, only Vit. D deficient.  The Dr. put me on 2000 iu/day for two months.  

I swear, I hope we get an answer someday soon.  I'm sick of this weight gain crap.  I'm also sick and tired of going to Drs. just for them to take my money and tell me sorry, this is all I can do for you.  You'll have to go to either your gyno or an endocrinologist.... then, you go, and get the pass off to another Dr.  and another.. and another..

I am going to see if I can get one of these Drs. to script me for a parasite check, lymes, and stuff like that.  I was running in the woods.. and I did get bit in the ankle area by something.  It was itchy and red and burned.. and stuck around for a couple weeks.  Ya never know... maybe I've been taken over by an alien.. that would at least be a solution.. sorry.. I'm just getting a little whackado over this dilema.  

But, I won't stop exercising.  I have a son at home who needs me to stay strong.  So, please..... if anyone finds a solution by all means, stop back to the site and remember all of your desperate for an answer friends here.... ok?  

Sincerely,

Beverly
I've just spent over an hour reading ever single one of these comments dating back as far as October 2007.  OMG!  What the hell is happening to our beautiful bodies?!?  

I am 27, have had very consistent regular 28 day cycle periods my entire life until 6 months ago.  I had 3 periods in the month of August then haven't had one since without any change in my diet or exercise.  I have gained 30 pounds.  None of my size 4, 6 or 8 pants (all shirts, too!) fit anymore.  I have severe acne now.  I am disgusting and I am at a loss after reading through all of these posts.  I, too, have tried extreme cutting of calories and upping my gym time (weights and cardio).  I'm a Sci