Sudden Weight Gain but Not Pregnant
I'll be 46 at the end of this month & just moved to a new state so I don't have the luxury of knowing any doctors.  In the last 1-2 months I suddenly gained 40 + lbs & look pregnant.   That seems to be where the weight all is.  A urinalysis proved negative for pregnancy on Monday & with my 3 grown kids I did not gain this much weight &/or so fast.  I just look pregnant & feel "full - heavy - tired & short of breath" most of the time.  Tomorrow I go for a Pelvic ultrasound w/a full bladder.  The day after I am scheduled for an Abdomen ultrasound - w/fasting.  Any idea what we are looking for or what could cause this?  I can barely eat because I feel so full & yet it's lately that I've gained the most weight.  I am not in pain, I just feel miserable - like over due.  When I asked at the doctor's office what could cause this & what we are looking for they said 'a cyst, tumor, or cancer'...... I would kind of like a bit more information if at all possible.  In the last week I gained another 10lbs & I know this can not be good or keep on.  

Thanks,
JoeShell
Did you ever get any answers? I have the same thing going on...and no known cause or resolution as of yet after seeing several doctors....beyond desperate and frustrated at this point.

C
Did you get any medical diagnosis yet? I gained 22 pounds in 4 days and we have ruled out failing kidneys and heart problems and my doctor is clueless.

Carma
***@****
I have the same problem and have had all the ultrsounds pregnancy test and so on. I am frustrated and don,t know what to do now. Drs. say I am fine but this cannot be ok. I have the same exact symptoms as you.
I , too, have the same thing, One day I woke up and was swollen from head to toe- once the rest of my body's swelling went down, my stomach & pelvis area were still swollen- looking as if I was 7 -8 months pregnant, I have had ultrasounds done, bloodwork drawn, colonoscopy, Barium Enema- and still, I am no wiser than before. I am now schedued to see an Oncologist. The frustration of gaing over 35 pounds in less than 2 moinths is depressing  and frustrating. I was wondering if you had received any answers to your symptoms. I am a 50 year old post menpausel woman and they did find a small cyst on my left ovary- but the Dr's said that it was of no concern. If , by any chance, you have heard of what this mysterious ailment is, I would be grateful if you shared the news with me
I really do not have much knowledge about the exact name but my mother had these EXACT same symptoms!! Her belly looked like she was 7 months prego as well and she was 51 years at the time.  She finally got diagnosed with liver disease and Hepatitis and it was very serious. I don't know anything else about it but if you haven't got any answers from your doc yet maybe ask them about liver disease?
hi there, I am in the same boat. I have gained 20lbs, in the last 2 months. My doctor thinks that it is my thyroid, its Underactive. I went for blood tests on Mon, and I go see the doctor today, so I will let you know what happens.
Wow, this is crazy becuase I am having the same symptoms.  I have not gained as much as you all (about a pound a week so far) but it's only been 5 weeks and I've been into a 6-day a week, 6-week program for almost 4 weeks.  I've also been eating better.  I just can't figure it out!  I've had to go buy some new clothes in a bigger size because I have nothing to wear.  I'm wondering if it has to do with hormones.  Ever since a m/c in Jan. at 14 weeks my blood pressure has been up, I've had headaches, and my normal palpatations have increased.  I'm so sick of feeling like this!!  I, too, feel pg but I know I'm not.  A few weeks ago my OB signed off on me but told me to see my family doc because my bp was going up.  I watched my bp at home and we found that it would get high anytime I go to the office.  I'm really hesitant to go back there!  But I'm sick of feeling so incredibly bloated and FAT.  I've been trying to lose weight since my 5th child 2 years ago and all of a sudden all my hard work has flown out the window.  This is ridiculous!
I forgot to mention that I, too, had my thyroid checked and everything was normal.  It's making me wonder if there really is something wrong.
I gain weight durring stressful situations. I had a friend who was in her 50's and she agained alot of weight and fast . She too could not find the solution untill one dayI think it was her apendex acted up and she had to have it removed. When they went to remove it the doctors were surprised she had a huge sack full of fluid. They removed the equvelant of 2 large jugs of milk from her tomack. It turns out the ultrasound did not pick it up because it was fluid so it did not show. The fluid was tested and all I heard from her it was a mixure of blood and lack of doctor term water. She dropped about 30 + lbs from this. She did not need to use her scooter as much after going to physo. Go figure thats all I know of her situation. It never returned.
I feel for you's very much. Are you diabetic? I have no clue.
i am 37 . i too have gains weight. i weighed 135 a month and a half ago...today i weigh 173....for a total of 38 lbs!i weigh more now than when i gave birth , all 3 times! i don't understand. tho possible peri-menopause ? i also have had some night sweats . some woke me up w/ horrible electric heat in my back . sometimes i wake up on cold wet sheets.. i am getting pimples , unsightly hair ,and my boobs LITERALLY feel like huge heavy bowling balls. i have practiced some running but feel like i'm dying when i do it . and further more the very next morning i swear....i have gained more weight! i am literally gaining weight EVERY DAY.
That is so wierd , I weighed 135 , or under forever than suddenly hit 170 , gaining weight daily also . I have never been this large in my life . If you find out your cause please let us know !  I cant afford to see a doctor without insurance , so any ADVICE ?
Missannoyed,  the original poster was over a year ago.  It seems unlikely she'll return.

You need to see a doctor.  I know you don't have insurance,  but priorities are priorities, and if you're gaining weight DAILY your health is at grave risk.

Money is only money.  Your life is worth more than that.

Best wishes.  I hope it works out for you.
I have been having this same issue, a couple of years ago for some reason all the sudden I started gaining weight, I weighed 135 and got up to 175 within a matter of months.  Then after that all the sudden I lost 50lbs within a matter of a few months, that stayed off for a year.  Now once again I am gaining weight at a rapid speed.  Since September of this year I have gained about 25 almost 30lbs and most of that being within the last few weeks, I too gain weight daily.  I have had my thyroid checked many times and nothing, all tests come back normal.  Recently I did have a bout of an inflamed colon with bleeding, on Monday I am supposed to be having a EGD and a colonoscopy.  I have had one before but it showed nothing.  This is all very upsetting considering the way things are these days and I don't have enough money to just being going and buying clothes every other weekend.  If there is anything out there that would help me please write back I am in desperate need here.  Thanks and regards,
Kari
5'1", age 34, vegetarian (15 years), active, dance instructor, current (last 2 months) weight 130 and gaining (usuall weight 112-115). Went from sz 0 to sz 4. Just did full blood panel-- I am perfect..., nothing wrong... but still: during the day fatigue would hit me so hard that I colapse on the floor and could not move for good 5-10 minutes. At nights I sweat so bad that usually need to change pillows and all sheets in the middle of the night. When I catch a little cold, my lymphnodes swell up so badly that I can not move my arms. ... my next step is to ask doc's to check my liver and my lymphomatic system. This is unbelievable. I have no idea what to do and do not understand why doctors are so "hands-off". If anyone finds an answer to your problem, please let us know!
I was just wondering if anyone had any further info yet in regard to these issues listed?
It appears that several people are having the same problems and they dont have a clue either. I too weigh more than I did when I gave birth to any of my 3 children and this is weight gain all in the past couple of years. I look 8 or 9 months pregnant.!
It's driving me nuts and so uncomfortable. Alot of people wanna chalk it all off to 'peri menapause', but i know several women my age that are NOT gaining the weight like this. My normal weight has always been 100 to 115 my whole life and this is so uncomfortable for me. I've been tryin to do some research which is how i came upon this blog and I was surprised to read the rest of the ladies comments. I havent started going to the Dr yet but it's coming. I'm just dredding going thru all sorts of tests that arent needed and cant tell me anything,, and have to be paid for.
So if theres any word yet, it'd be great to hear back.
Thanks tons
Deb
51 yrs old
I had similar symptoms several years ago. It started with bleeding from the colon at age 16, but doctors were clueless. A colonscopy showed nothing. This continued off and on for several years. At 28, I began to miss periods and have hot flashes. Every now and then, I suffered from huge sporadic weight gains despite no changes in diet or exercise regimen. By 32, I couldn't get pregnant, and my doctor found out I was in early menopause. My ovaries got an ultrasound, but didn't show cysts. My bladder was also checked and nothing was found. My blood test showed normal hormone levels, except for my FSH which was high. By 36, I was completely through menopause even though all the other women in my family (3 sisters, mother, aunt, 4 female cousins) were fertile through their 40s and had periods through their 50s. I am now 42 and going through another fast weight game right now - 2 lbs a day. Only a low carb diet will keep the weight off - I can cut calories and work out 'til the cows come home, but I still put on weight. My blood sugar is 99. My thyroid is normal, but I have low blood pressure. A new odd development - cysts all over my legs - as of last year. Two doctors say they are lypomas, but they are hard and red. My doctor did blood tests and everything is good to normal. Any ideas?
I was a size 4, around 140 at 5'7", then the past two months I gaineda bout 15 pounds. I work out at least 3-4 times a week, super athletic, don't eat too bad. Went to my doctor - he did liver and thyroid. it came back normal. He was nasty to me and didn't offer anything up except that i need to work out more...I feel like my food is not processing and is all in my belly. Did any of you with similar symptoms find otu what was wrong from your doctor?
I'm going to another doctor for a second opinion and this time it's a woman.
Well,, I know I havent heard or read or found out anything new since I wrote in here.
I keep putting off doing to the Dr cuz I just totaly dred it. I know they will start some ''process of illimination'' stuff that will only end up costing me an arm & leg in the long run cuz I dont have any insurance.
But,,, I do not feel that this weight gain is due to me overeating either.
I dont do anything any differently lately than I ever did before.
Other than I stopped smoking back in March,,, so I expected to gain a few pounds there,, but this weight gain started long before that even.
I have gained nearly 50/60 lbs in the past 3 years or maybe a little less time.
So i could correct the 'rapid' part a little bit,, but still,,, it is way more than ever before in my lifetime. I barely recognize myself in the mirror anymore and it doesnt seem to be getting any better. I have tried different things that use to cause me to drop a few pounds almost right away and nothing works.
I am full & bloated and look 9 months pregnant. It's rediculous.
If I hear or read or find out anything new I will come back and update this too.
Deb

OH YEA,,, I am a bit concerned since we havent heard anything at all from the original poster. It worries me that she hasnt been back,,, so I'm really hoping that shes had good news and things are ok with her,, rather than the alternative.
I, too, have been experiencing the unexplained, rapid weight gain!!! I am almost 39 years old. I am heavier then I ever have been, even at the delivery of each of my 4 children! Just a few months ago, I was 3 pant sizes smaller. I can litterally feel the weight gain weekly. I have done NOTHING differently then I have done my entire life. No eating changes...nothing, just pounds litterally packing on. I have had blood tests...and of course just KNEW it was my thyroid. I was SHOCKED to find out my thryoid was fine! I have so many of the symptoms! I am tired, lethargic, short of breath, no lebido, my hair is falling out of my eyebrows, I am forgetful, I snore like you would NOT believe...the list goes on and on....my Dr. has been very willing to do whatever test she can think of....but everything is NORMAL!!! What is going on??? She seems to think this is just part of the aging process. My metabolism is slowing down??? Is THIS how it happens?? Just BOOM? You pack on the pounds all of a suddon??? I just don't FEEL like ME anymore physically? I would LOVE to know if anyone out there finds an answer!!! My doc even tested me to see if my body was making "antibodies" to my thyriod..but nope...normal agian! I tried to low carb diet...last time I did that...wow...pounds just MELTED off..within months I lost like 40lbs...THIS time I tried..I CONTINUED to GAIN weight!!! I feel like this is hopeless!!!! HELP!!!!!